PDA

View Full Version : Will the Lakers Ever find Success under Jim Bus?

ztilzer31
03-14-2014, 09:58 AM
Every decision and new report that comes out is making the Lakers organization look worse. The more Jim handles is daddy's hard work the faster he's destroying it. Lakers have been driven into a ditch, and unlike in past years this happened Jim is now under control, and seems to be driving this team further into the ground.

So what do you think? Will the Lakers ever be successful again under the control of Jim Bus?

NYKnickFanatic
03-14-2014, 10:12 AM
"I will gladly take your bet, Dude we have lost Dwight, that is it, Jamison and Clark are scrubs, lets sig bet, if lakers make the playoffs, you delete this account and start a new one, if the lakers do not make the playoffs, I will leave and I will gladly take your 100 dollar bet."

L8kers4life going down. My first bet on PSD. Also whoever wins gets to pick the other person's new name they have to use for a year. PM me with ideas.

You know you can't make a new account, right? It will just get banned.

torocan
03-14-2014, 10:45 AM
I think the Lakers will eventually become successful under Jim Buss if he remains in control... though it will probably have to be like operating under Sterling or Dolan. You'll probably have a LOT of years of bad teams and heartbreak.

Even Donald Sterling figured out that he wasn't the guy to run the team, and it only took 20 years.

waveycrockett
03-14-2014, 10:51 AM
People forget how great a GM Mitch Kupchak really is. Dude is top notch. The bottom line is they are still reeling from the Howard fiasco coupled with Nash and Kobe breaking down but LA is still the best basketball market in the world and the Lakers are still the premiere brand of the NBA. Not even Donald Sterling was able to keep the Clippers sucking forever in that town.

1_team_1_dream
03-14-2014, 10:59 AM
what went wrong between jim buss and phill ?

Tony_Starks
03-14-2014, 11:12 AM
Jim Buss shouldve stayed in Food and Beverage....

ztilzer31
03-14-2014, 12:37 PM
You know you can't make a new account, right? It will just get banned.

You can change the name of your current one though. Doesn't matter he's dodging the bet anyways.

ztilzer31
03-14-2014, 12:38 PM
People forget how great a GM Mitch Kupchak really is. Dude is top notch. The bottom line is they are still reeling from the Howard fiasco coupled with Nash and Kobe breaking down but LA is still the best basketball market in the world and the Lakers are still the premiere brand of the NBA. Not even Donald Sterling was able to keep the Clippers sucking forever in that town.

Yes, but doesn't Mitch Kupchak have less power now? It sounds to me like Jim isn't taking much advice from his employee's. It just feels like bad decision after bad decision.

NYKnickFanatic
03-14-2014, 12:41 PM
You can change the name of your current one though. Doesn't matter he's dodging the bet anyways.

Not really. You can not just completely change your name.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk.

ztilzer31
03-14-2014, 12:42 PM
Not really. You can not just completely change your name.

I've seen plenty of people do it.

Like I said it doesn't matter. He won't answer me, and it was also a sig bet, and he won't do that either.

NYKnickFanatic
03-14-2014, 12:49 PM
I've seen plenty of people do it.

Like I said it doesn't matter. He won't answer me, and it was also a sig bet, and he won't do that either.

No you haven't.

JDMVP
03-14-2014, 01:18 PM
it hurts to admit be NO, we are not going anywhere with him in charge. (I Hope im wrong)

Jim is married to idea about what his father said as he should be. He really has a BIG EGO.

Teeboy1487
03-14-2014, 01:37 PM
No way. Jim Buss is the new Jerry Jones. Ruining a history rich franchise because of ego.

ztilzer31
03-14-2014, 01:39 PM
No you haven't.

K bye. Off topic anyways. Leave my thread.

ztilzer31
03-14-2014, 01:41 PM
it hurts to admit be NO, we are not going anywhere with him in charge. (I Hope im wrong)

Jim is married to idea about what his father said as he should be. He really has a BIG EGO.

It's really to bad Jerry didn't give the Lakers to Jeanie. She'd do a 10x better job... Well at least she couldn't do a worse job lol.

NYKnickFanatic
03-14-2014, 01:46 PM
k bye. Off topic anyways. Leave my thread.

:laugh:

L8kers4life
03-14-2014, 01:55 PM

I'm not dodging your bet buddy, I'm ready to change my name, but you forgot to list that I said if kobe is healthy, he has never been healthy. It doesnt matter, I deserve to lose the bet, the Lakers are awful... I will gladly let you pick a name for me.

L8kers4life
03-14-2014, 02:02 PM
It's really to bad Jerry didn't give the Lakers to Jeanie. She'd do a 10x better job... Well at least she couldn't do a worse job lol.

Jim Buss, Antoni and Steve NAsh are the demise of this franchise. Phil is waiting for the Lakers to make him an offer before he accepts the NY job, but Jim is to selfish and greedy to make that happen , it's pathetic.

Tony_Starks
03-14-2014, 02:14 PM
Jim Buss, Antoni and Steve NAsh are the demise of this franchise. Phil is waiting for the Lakers to make him an offer before he accepts the NY job, but Jim is to selfish and greedy to make that happen , it's pathetic.

Jimmy refuses to humble himself and admit he needs Phil to turn the franchise around. He'd rather go down in flames on his own then be a success again and have Phil get all the credit. Ego trip....

barreleffact
03-14-2014, 02:36 PM
^I don't think that's a bad thing necessarily. While I do not agree with Jim, and think he is probably the biggest Laker problem in the FO, I also do not blame him for wanting to be his own man. He has to make mistakes and develop into his own person. Personally, he should have done that while his father was alive, but still he hasn't been AS horrid as people make him seem.

Dwight was a premadonna, wanted Phil, and would likely have left even with Phil. Put simply, Dwight thinks he's a lot better than he is. LA wanted Phil. Jeannie wanted Phil, but Phil and Jim would have clashed and I don't TOTALLY disagree with him choosing a different coach. He could have chosen Sloan or JVG or anyone else though. I mean Mike Brown all defense followed by Mike D'antoni all offense and never the right personnel for either roster was definitely a mistake.

Personnel moves:
- Dwight- swing and a miss
- Nash- injuries, but one of the best PGs the Lakers have had in a long time
- No other significant moves have been made except they should tank way harder IMO and offering Kobe that kind of contract is ridiculous. It was a nice gesture, but I would have did an illegal move with Kobe and payed him under the table via stock or the TW deal or something because that deal is still going to debilitate them when LJ, Melo, KD?(I don't think KD but I forget when his contract expires), Love, etc come off contract.

In all, the answer depends on how one defines "success." Championships? Maybe a few. Playoffs? Definitely. Will they be legendary as before? Doubt it, but I liken that more to the way the NBA has changed than I do to LA management. There are only so many MJs, Duncans, etc. in history and those rare few will win the bulk of the rings. FA signings were a lot different before and LA was able to pick and choose their stars. Magic and Worthy aside, name one other draftee that established an LA Dynasty? Neither Kareem nor Kobe were drafted, so it all comes down to can LA either tank hard enough or find a way to master the new FA system. Both are cards against them if the definition of success is the LA historic success level. If it's competitive basketball, sure! Eventually, a monkey in a football Jersey that watches Soccer only could lead LA to an NBA championship.

PurpleLynch
03-15-2014, 07:10 AM
Winter is coming...

futureman
03-15-2014, 01:48 PM
He is the James Dolan of the west. I hope he's the owner as long as possible because he is an idiot.

torocan
03-15-2014, 01:51 PM
He is the James Dolan of the west. I hope he's the owner as long as possible because he is an idiot.

I see you're setting the bar High for Dola... er Jim Buss. :)

Buss would have to work extremely hard to match Dolan, but I have faith in his work ethic and desire...

Sandman
03-15-2014, 01:53 PM
lol thats an awesome typo

nope I think the Lakers have been thrown permanently under the Buss.

lol, please
03-15-2014, 02:19 PM
Hopefully they don't find success any time soon period, so some of our other franchises can "catch up" a bit. :D

NBA_Starter
03-15-2014, 10:32 PM
I think so, they will probably win the lottery this year.

DODGERS&LAKERS
03-16-2014, 07:12 AM
First off let's get some things straight. Jim Buss is not the owner. All the kids have an equal share. But Jeanie Buss is considered the governess of the Lakers in the organization and by the league.

Regarding Jim's "mistakes" can you list them?

Ill give you a couple. Kobe's overpay of an extension. Second one, should have traded Pau for anything he could have gotten.

I know you're going to list hiring Mike D but from all accounts Jerry was the one who wanted him. It's even been reported that Jim had reservations about it and wanted to hire Phil. Hiring Phil directly lead to Dwight leaving so you can't hold that on Jim.

Some may list not hiring Phil to run bball opps as a mistake. But who in their right mind gives up their job and pretty much fires themselves? Like I said earlier. Jeanie it's the owner. She is our Mark Cuban or James Dolan. Jim is our Pat Riley or Doc Rivers. Do you think those guys would fire themselves to give Phil a job? No. Especially if they have only been under the job for a year. It's Jeanie's ultimate decision. She could have moved Jim out and put Phil in. But that was not what the farther wanted.

So I ask again, what are HIS mistakes?

ldawg
03-16-2014, 09:30 AM
No, The fall of the Lakers started long time ago. It all started with the power struggle and reluctance to trade Bynum. It then took Kobe a parking lot rant that lead to Pau becoming a Laker. From there they were able to go on a run. However they did not want to part with Bynum so it restricted them from retooling and restructuring the roaster. The coach Phil at the time was forced to give Bynum a bigger role who was already given a handsome contract even when he was not viewed as a core player by the coaching staff. Lakers held on to Bynum like he was gold even when it prove he just could not stay healthy. Where is Bynum today since being traded how many games have he played? They would not include him in the CP3 trade and elect to move Pau who was older but more healthy. They finally moved him when the damage was already done the culture of the team was ruined and the system had change for the Bynum era. Mike Brown was Bynum coach. The Lakers have been in a free fall ever since. Lakers wanted to go younger and Traded Fisher only to turn around and break the bank and surrender 4 picks on an even older less defensive pg in Nash. Then they hired a coach with a bad resume whose teams fail to play any defense. Then While they should rebuild because Kobe and the Coach they chose don't fit together they then turn around and give Kobe a huge extension to play under that coach. Kobe, Pau, Hill, Kaman, Howard, Anthony, etc all cant understand the coach. So now you have a huge problem. Top players don't like your coach or your culture, Your highest paid player and your coach not on the same page. Being that its La and they have $$ to spend someone will sign for the cash. after all money talks. The real question is when will Lakers be true contenders again. IMO not anytime soon.

JasonJohnHorn
03-16-2014, 10:01 AM

Mitch is awful. He has been lucky. He is lucky that Jerry West handed him the keys to a dynasty. He is lucky that the Grizzlies were having a fire sale and that he had the right expiring contract. Had that not happened, the Lakers wouldn't have won a ring since Shaq.

It isn't hard to sing ring chasers that are calling you up. Those are no brainers. The fact that he's signed pretty much anybody regardless of how well they fit or not is a prime example of why he isn't that great. He's just in a great situation.

Metta World Peace is a perfect example. The Lakers let Trevor Ariza go and signed MWP instead. Who is relevant today? MWP was the bigger name, but Ariza helped them win a ring and was younger and at that point just as good defensively and a better shooter.

The Jamison signing is another example. What was the point of that? There was no reason for it. He didn't fit.

The Nash signing? 25 mil to a 38 year old?

Trading for Dwight? Then not bringing in the coach Dwight and Kobe wanted? And bringing in a coach like Antoni?

I mean, this guy couldn't even put an effective enough supporting cast around Payton/Shaq/Kobe/Malone! How hard is that?

Mitch is overrated. His success is because of the situation he's in. Send him to Milwaukee and see how that turns out.

JasonJohnHorn
03-16-2014, 10:06 AM
Jim Buss is a tool. His father was a genius. His father had enough humility to recognize that he was the reason the Lakers won, he simply facilitated those who did the real work.

Those people were Jerry West, Magic, Kareem, Worthy... and when guys like Riley got too big a head, he let them go because he knew it was bad for the team.

Later it was West again, and Shaq and Kobe and Gasol. Mitch worked well under Jerry because Jerry focused on the players.

Jim has too big an ego. He refused to let Brian Shaw coach because he was 'Phil's' Guy and want his own identify on the team (whatever that is: favoritism to friends/bartenders?) and then brings in Mike Brown, fires him 5 games into the season and rather than listening to his players (Dwight and Kobe), he passes over Phil Jackson for Antoni? Come on.

Jim Buss has too much ego for this game. It's going to be getting in the way for a long time. And Mitch doesn't have the balls to tell Jim when he's wrong because he know Jim will just fire him and bring somebody else in if he does.

DODGERS&LAKERS
03-16-2014, 12:38 PM
Jim Buss is a tool. His father was a genius. His father had enough humility to recognize that he was the reason the Lakers won, he simply facilitated those who did the real work.

Those people were Jerry West, Magic, Kareem, Worthy... and when guys like Riley got too big a head, he let them go because he knew it was bad for the team.

Later it was West again, and Shaq and Kobe and Gasol. Mitch worked well under Jerry because Jerry focused on the players.

Jim has too big an ego. He refused to let Brian Shaw coach because he was 'Phil's' Guy and want his own identify on the team (whatever that is: favoritism to friends/bartenders?) and then brings in Mike Brown, fires him 5 games into the season and rather than listening to his players (Dwight and Kobe), he passes over Phil Jackson for Antoni? Come on.

Jim Buss has too much ego for this game. It's going to be getting in the way for a long time. And Mitch doesn't have the balls to tell Jim when he's wrong because he know Jim will just fire him and bring somebody else in if he does.

How long has Jim been running things? Was Jerry a vegetable? Was he dead two years before it was reported? How is Jim responsible for that if he was not the owner nor the GM?

ldawg
03-16-2014, 01:28 PM
I would have to agree Mitch is just ok not great. he is not very creative. That's like a sales man selling a Honda or Toyota vs Suzuki or Kia. Toyota sales man just got to sit there and wait will the Suzuki sales man try to sell you on the car. Mitch has given out many bad contracts, Many none moves when he should, Mitch is the type of guy that goes for the home run and strike or more than he hit. Sometime you got to put players on base. I know most GMs wont want to help the Lakers but Mitch seem to always want to much which then turn any possible trade sour. The Nash sign and trade was maybe his worst move it was the opposite of the Pau trade. His drafting has been 50/50 as well so I cant say he suck or great. Not sure who idea it was to hold on to Bynum so long but it was a bad Idea. Bosh, Melo, or who ever would have been a better option. I would have to agree with Kobe on the rant. Bynum who? Who the hell is Bynum. In the end Kobe was right Jim was wrong.

ldawg
03-16-2014, 01:33 PM
How long has Jim been running things? Was Jerry a vegetable? Was he dead two years before it was reported? How is Jim responsible for that if he was not the owner nor the GM?Jim was running things for a while but his dad had the final say.

PraiseJesus
03-16-2014, 01:34 PM
I think the biggest problem is that the Lakers don't have a coach and I don't know of any good ones that are available.

An elite coach is essential to contending

DODGERS&LAKERS
03-16-2014, 02:00 PM
Jim was running things for a while but his dad had the final say.

What is a while? Does it go back to building back to back champs? Does he get credit for that?

And how are you running things if you don't have final say?

I do not know if you live in the LA basin, but if you listen to sports radio here, you would hear everyone agree that Jerry Buss was the one that wanted to go away from Phil. Jim was the one who had second thoughts but ultimately went with his father's decision. I think people are just looking for a scapegoat due to down times. Nobody likes the rich kid who inherits the kingdom. But Jim Buss has not have enough time to do anything worth judging.

amak316
03-16-2014, 02:09 PM
LA will always be a big free agent draw and with the Lakers rich history they can't be in too much trouble for long. I'm sure Laker fans look at the how terrible the Knicks franchise has looked for so long and are worried because NY is almost as appealing of a city to live in for a pro athlete, but you have to realize that the knicks haven't just made bad decisions, they have consistently made the worst possible decision at every inflection point where their was a decision to be made for the past couple of decades. Jim Buss has made a couple of worst possible decisions so far (D'antoni, Kobe contract) but I am willing to give him the benefit of the doubt that these are just rookie mistakes and he isn't at Dolan levels of retardation. Time will tell though.

smith&wesson
03-16-2014, 02:11 PM
not like they haven't tried to keep the team competitive. they got nash and howard along with kobe and pau that was suppose to be a contender but it just didn't work out. now they have to try something else.

Cracka2HI!
03-16-2014, 04:27 PM
Sure they will. It will take longer than a lot of fans thought. I don't think they'll be good any time soon. When the damage of the Bryant and Nash signings and D'Antoni hiring passes they should rebound relatively quickly. They need to burn it to the ground and start over though.

ztilzer31
03-21-2014, 04:56 PM

When you going to stop dodging my bet kid.

L8kers4life
03-21-2014, 05:11 PM
Every decision and new report that comes out is making the Lakers organization look worse. The more Jim handles is daddy's hard work the faster he's destroying it. Lakers have been driven into a ditch, and unlike in past years this happened Jim is now under control, and seems to be driving this team further into the ground.

So what do you think? Will the Lakers ever be successful again under the control of Jim Bus?

Do know one is dodging you, I have responded to plenty of your posts, make your request for my name change, I like how you are forgetting to mention, I said if Kobe is Healthy, but doesn't matter to me.

MickeyMgl
03-21-2014, 05:19 PM

I'm not answering the poll, because if the Rams can win a Super Bowl under an abortion of an owner like Georgia Frontiere, anything is possible, and winning a Super Bowl counts as success.

However, one or two winning seasons don't change the culture of a bad franchise (Clippers under Sterling), and one or two losing seasons won't change the culture of a good franchise with good leadership (many examples).

The Lakers will not remain the class of the NBA with Jim Buss in a key position at the top of their Basketball Operations. They're letting seasons pass by waiting for the big quick fix (Wiggins, Love, Lebron, Durant), when most of them are pipe dreams. That's what bad teams do.

When things change at the top, anything is possible. From O'Malley's Dodgers to Fox's Dodgers seemed bad enough until we witnessed McCourt's Dodgers. Anything can change, for any team in any sport, when the leadership changes. The Patriots went from perennial also-rans to one of the NFL's model franchises.

Generations get to know the teams they grew up with based on how those teams' cultures are when each generation learns the game. I grew up with the Baltimore Orioles and Pittsburgh Pirates as perennial winners, while the next generation of baseball fan is seeing them win for the first time in decades.

In the big picture, I expect mediocrity from the Lakers under Jim Buss. And excuses. But I can also see a winning season here or there. That's some success. But I don't see them getting another championship this decade.

Vinylman
03-21-2014, 05:40 PM
Lakers success is defined in terms of championships

Unless someone redefines success Jimbaco will be a disaster for the foreseeable future

ztilzer31
03-21-2014, 05:51 PM
Do know one is dodging you, I have responded to plenty of your posts, make your request for my name change, I like how you are forgetting to mention, I said if Kobe is Healthy, but doesn't matter to me.

I want your name change to be Kobe4Life.

I want your sig to be http://nbanewssource.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/06/a0cf0f1ffd84b82bf342377f86272486_large.png

Also please put the date on the sig so we know when it's off.

ztilzer31
03-21-2014, 05:58 PM
I'm not answering the poll, because if the Rams can win a Super Bowl under an abortion of an owner like Georgia Frontiere, anything is possible, and winning a Super Bowl counts as success.

However, one or two winning seasons don't change the culture of a bad franchise (Clippers under Sterling), and one or two losing seasons won't change the culture of a good franchise with good leadership (many examples).

The Lakers will not remain the class of the NBA with Jim Buss in a key position at the top of their Basketball Operations. They're letting seasons pass by waiting for the big quick fix (Wiggins, Love, Lebron, Durant), when most of them are pipe dreams. That's what bad teams do.

When things change at the top, anything is possible. From O'Malley's Dodgers to Fox's Dodgers seemed bad enough until we witnessed McCourt's Dodgers. Anything can change, for any team in any sport, when the leadership changes. The Patriots went from perennial also-rans to one of the NFL's model franchises.

Generations get to know the teams they grew up with based on how those teams' cultures are when each generation learns the game. I grew up with the Baltimore Orioles and Pittsburgh Pirates as perennial winners, while the next generation of baseball fan is seeing them win for the first time in decades.

In the big picture, I expect mediocrity from the Lakers under Jim Buss. And excuses. But I can also see a winning season here or there. That's some success. But I don't see them getting another championship this decade.

They will be able to stay successful by getting free agents. Good or not they have the money to attract free agents, but they no longer have a very enticing package for a top tier free agent. Bad coach bad owner. No picks, and your best player is looking like his career is winding down.

It's going to take a lot to rebuild the depth/sign free agents/get a new coach while Kobe is healthy. So you're looking at a new era in one way or another soon, and a very small gap at winning a chip in the meantime.

Meanwhile Phil just went to the NYK. It's not looking good in any way possible IMO.

MickeyMgl
03-23-2014, 04:43 AM
I would have to agree Mitch is just ok not great. he is not very creative. That's like a sales man selling a Honda or Toyota vs Suzuki or Kia. Toyota sales man just got to sit there and wait will the Suzuki sales man try to sell you on the car. Mitch has given out many bad contracts, Many none moves when he should, Mitch is the type of guy that goes for the home run and strike or more than he hit. Sometime you got to put players on base. I know most GMs wont want to help the Lakers but Mitch seem to always want to much which then turn any possible trade sour. The Nash sign and trade was maybe his worst move it was the opposite of the Pau trade. His drafting has been 50/50 as well so I cant say he suck or great. Not sure who idea it was to hold on to Bynum so long but it was a bad Idea. Bosh, Melo, or who ever would have been a better option. I would have to agree with Kobe on the rant. Bynum who? Who the hell is Bynum. In the end Kobe was right Jim was wrong.

Remember Mitch's "How good do you think Andrew Bynum is going to be in 10 years?" 6-7 years later, he's barely hanging on to an NBA job.

For all the Lakers invested in Bynum - in money and time - they didn't get a very good return. After two years as a project where the team got precious little production out of him, he showed just enough in his contract year - while he was healthy - for them to give him a fat 8-figure salary. He was not an impact player in any of their trips to the Finals, beyond 2010 when he played gamely on a gimpy knee, and even then his impact was that of a good role player, not a max or near-max player.

Then they failed to get a good return on him as a trade asset. Yes, they got Howard, but he had already shown a great deal of apathy toward playing (and staying) with the Lakers. When they let Howard go without trading him at the next deadline, they effectively had nothing to show for Bynum. Surely, if they could get Howard, they could have gotten almost anybody in the league for Bynum at that time.

Or several years earlier. Does anybody think the Grizzlies would have declined trading Pau if the Lakers had offered Bynum instead of Marc?

numba1CHANGsta
03-23-2014, 06:00 AM
The Lakers always have success, the only question is how soon? lots of things need to happen first:

Fire D'Anotni
Nash needs to retire
Lakers must get a Top 5 pick
Sign a young/defensive minded HC
Sign 2 all-star players (one in 2015, another in 2016)

So it shouldn't be that long until they are championship material, people don't seem to understand the transition of new ownership. Once they get over the fact that "Showtime" can never be duplicated, then they will move on and become successful once again.

JEDean89
03-23-2014, 10:42 PM
Ya the lakes could get Embiid this year, Love in 2015 and role with something like

Rondo
Kobe
FA
Love
Embiid

they'll be fine as long as Jimmy Buss doesn't pull a James Dolan.

NBA_Starter
03-23-2014, 10:51 PM
Yes, and sooner than later, they still have the Lakers draw.

MickeyMgl
03-24-2014, 03:02 AM
Ya the lakes could get Embiid this year, Love in 2015 and role with something like

Rondo
Kobe
FA
Love
Embiid

they'll be fine as long as Jimmy Buss doesn't pull a James Dolan.

Hire one of the most brilliant basketball minds to preside over basketball operations? Heaven forbid!

ztilzer31
03-24-2014, 04:42 PM
Yes, and sooner than later, they still have the Lakers draw.

The "Lakers draw" was Phil Jackson/Jerry Buss. The Lakers draw is gone.

JEDean89
03-24-2014, 06:11 PM
Hire one of the most brilliant basketball minds to preside over basketball operations? Heaven forbid!

ya 16 ****ing years after the worst run management in sports

ztilzer31
03-25-2014, 03:50 PM
ya 16 ****ing years after the worst run management in sports

I wouldn't say "the worst ran in sports", but yeah. I see your point and agree.

The Amare deal still burns in my head. I remember being just so confused why the Knicks ever did that. It's like they just wanted to waste money for ***** and giggles.

FOBolous
03-25-2014, 03:55 PM
it'll be at least 2 or 3 years before the Lakers will find success under anyone. 2 or 3 years due to their current contractal obligation and the availability of star FAs who's willing to come to the Lakers.