PDA

View Full Version : Source: Rockets could make a big push for Carmelo

FOBolous
03-14-2014, 12:22 AM
http://nypost.com/2014/03/13/source-rockets-could-make-a-big-push-for-carmelo/

Could Carmelo Anthony rocket off to Houston?

According to a league source, the Rockets will make a bid for Carmelo Anthony this summer, even though they probably won’t have cap space and would have to orchestrate a creative sign-and-trade. The source said Houston asked the Knicks about Anthony before February’s trade deadline.

The Knicks have held discussions with the Rockets about power forward Omer Asik. Even though Rockets president Daryl Morey is the pioneer of advanced statistics and Anthony has never fared well in some efficiency categories, Morey’s old-school instincts believe he could form a terrific Big 3 with Dwight Howard and James Harden. Rockets management also believes Anthony has made advancements in the grit department the past two seasons.

The only way the Rockets can get under the cap is by dealing the expiring contracts of Jeremy Lin, who is entering the poison pill year of $15 million, and Asik, also scheduled to make $15 million.

But even if the Rockets don’t, a desperate Knicks team could take on Lin or Asik and draft picks if Phil Jackson doesn’t believe in building around Anthony. The Knicks still would be set for 2015’s free agency and Lin wold be a drawing card during a season the Knicks may want to tank and fall into the lottery.

Howard has been most outspoken in encouraging Anthony to consider smaller markets than New York just like Howard did in eschewing Los Angeles. Plus, Anthony said he’s willing to take “a pay cut’’ — which would be less severe in Houston. There are no state income taxes in Texas.
Howard told USA Today last month the Big Apple is only good for a player’s brand if the team is winning.

“If you don’t win, you’re not going to get all the [off-court] stuff you want anyway,” Howard said. “I saw that last year [in Los Angeles]. I was in the biggest market for the NBA, and we lost, so those [companies] aren’t going to be coming to you for losing.

“When I was in Orlando, a small market, and we were winning. I was very popular with a lot of different deals on the table. So it’s moreso about winning, and you’ve got to put yourself in a position to where you’re winning basketball games and you’re having fun doing it. Losing is not fun, and Melo wants to win.”

The Lakers, Clippers and Bulls are other potential destinations for Anthony, who said his “first priority’’ is to remain a Knick if he likes their future blueprint.

In recent days, Mike Woodson’s new theme on why the Knicks’ season spiraled out of control until recently dates to November.

He said J.R. Smith missing the first five games with a marijuana suspension coupled with Tyson Chandler breaking his leg in the season’s fourth game and missing six weeks set a awful tone they couldn’t reverse.

The Knicks are now on a five-game winning streak. They are 3 ½ games out of the eighth seed with 17 to play, and find themselves back in the race.

“When we came into the season, expectations were high,’’ Woodson said on his weekly ESPN Radio appearance. “I thought the J.R. situation put us behind early on. I really believe that to this day and then losing Tyson after the third game. We just never was able to develop any kind of chemistry.’’

Asked if he’s been judged unfairly for their 26-40 record, Woodson said, “I won’t air that out. My thing is if there has been any unfairness to Mike Woodson, when the time comes, we’ll sit down and talk, me and Mr. Dolan if that may be the case of whoever is in charge here.’’

as a Houston fan, i don't know how i feel about this rumor. Melo's talented and all but i don't know if mixing his personality with Harden (has the tendancy to cruise and be lazy) and Dwight (a big goofy guy) is a good idea. I feel like putting them three together will just lead to heartbreaks :( i rather Houston wait and see if Jalen Rose's prediction of Kevin Durant coming to the Rockets will come true or not :p

John Walls Era
03-14-2014, 12:33 AM
lol

Lakers + Giants
03-14-2014, 12:45 AM
Don't know how I feel about it either, but they would definitely be a scary team if they played up to their potential and things worked out. How are you going to Stop Melo and Harden?!

kozelkid
03-14-2014, 12:46 AM
I don't buy it for a second. He doesn't seem like a Morey type player.

MetroMan
03-14-2014, 12:48 AM
Phil is smart. He wont take those terrible contracts

Shlumpledink
03-14-2014, 12:50 AM
"Power forward Omer Asik"

DreamShaker
03-14-2014, 12:51 AM
Melo would be a 4 on this team. You make Jones the 6th man, and D-Mo the backup for Dwight. That is going to be awkward on D. But I don't see it happening.

DreamShaker
03-14-2014, 12:53 AM

If Melo leaves, he might as well. They are both expiring deals in 2015. Also when Amare expires.

KniCks4LiFe
03-14-2014, 12:55 AM

Phil actually would, if it's last resort he would, he'd need Terrance or Chandler to be part of the deal too. But as for Jeremy Lin, Phil has wanted him since he was a Golden State Warrior.

FOBolous
03-14-2014, 12:56 AM
Melo would be a 4 on this team. You make Jones the 6th man, and D-Mo the backup for Dwight. That is going to be awkward on D. But I don't see it happening.

yea it'll be really weird on D

jerellh528
03-14-2014, 12:57 AM
I hope this happens

ztilzer31
03-14-2014, 01:00 AM
Dumb move IMO. Rather go for Love in the future TBH or something that fits. Havin Carmelo, and Harden on the floor would work, but it's not the move I'd want to make if I'm the Rockets.

Hawkeye15
03-14-2014, 01:10 AM
I can't see how Morey would want this move.

Ill21
03-14-2014, 01:13 AM
I thought the knicks cant do a sign and trade since they are over the cap?

Tony_Starks
03-14-2014, 01:20 AM
I thought the knicks cant do a sign and trade since they are over the cap?

I think it's the receiving team that has to be under the cap which is why they're saying Houston would have to find a sucker, I mean taker, for Lin or Asik first. Not sure though.

Anyway if the Grand Master of advanced stats traded for Melo I would LOVE to see the justifications that ensue...

smith&wesson
03-14-2014, 01:21 AM
"Power forward Omer Asik"

yeah, that just killed the writers credibility.

KniCks4LiFe
03-14-2014, 01:31 AM
I think it's the receiving team that has to be under the cap which is why they're saying Houston would have to find a sucker, I mean taker, for Lin or Asik first. Not sure though.

Anyway if the Grand Master of advanced stats traded for Melo I would LOVE to see the justifications that ensue...

Prolly b/c Morey thinks that Melo/Howard/Harden = championship. That would be my first guess, that and Melo's C&S numbers have improved.

As for Lin again I can tell you that Phil Jackson has been keeping his eye on him since he was a Warrior and on top of that the next would be coach in Steve Kerr was gushing about Lin on TNT tonight, it makes sense b/c they have a preference for high IQ on the court especially if you are going to run the triangle. Asik would make Chandler trade bait. I don't see this done w/o a pick or at least Parsons or Jones. I think that would be an ideal fresh start for all parties.

That's if this rumor is valid.

Max.This
03-14-2014, 01:48 AM
Parsons is a UFA in 2015 right?

Dade County
03-14-2014, 01:51 AM
Like I have stated before...

If Melo finds his way onto the rockets, Cp3 will be joining him sooner then later. Harden would be shipped to the Clippers.

And the dream would have been realized, Cp3, Melo, Howard.

Blitzace137
03-14-2014, 02:00 AM
Parsons is a UFA in 2015 right?

Yea

abe_froman
03-14-2014, 02:03 AM
make for a strong superstar trio ,but i cant see it working

Blitzace137
03-14-2014, 02:03 AM
Prolly b/c Morey thinks that Melo/Howard/Harden = championship. That would be my first guess, that and Melo's C&S numbers have improved.

As for Lin again I can tell you that Phil Jackson has been keeping his eye on him since he was a Warrior and on top of that the next would be coach in Steve Kerr was gushing about Lin on TNT tonight, it makes sense b/c they have a preference for high IQ on the court especially if you are going to run the triangle. Asik would make Chandler trade bait. I don't see this done w/o a pick or at least Parsons or Jones. I think that would be an ideal fresh start for all parties.

I would love to have Parsons in a Knick uniform along with Lin back. I think Lin can be had even if Melo decides to stay. Lin, Parsons would allow us to start over, and who knows, maybe Phil can convince Love to come to NY and build around him or load up on assets until KD is a FA.

John Walls Era
03-14-2014, 02:04 AM
Phil actually would, if it's last resort he would, he'd need Terrance or Chandler to be part of the deal too. But as for Jeremy Lin, Phil has wanted him since he was a Golden State Warrior.

Phil Jackson is smart. Lin with another good game since hes been healthy. +6 and with 20+PPG. Rockets would just end up missing out on Lin again. Deja Vu.

VendettaRed07
03-14-2014, 02:05 AM
l can see this happening honestly, even if this writer is full of it.

Lin, Asik, + Picks...Then trade Chandler and Shumpert.

numba1CHANGsta
03-14-2014, 02:09 AM
Sooo let me get this straight, in order to even have a chance to get Melo, they would have to get rid of Lin ($15 mil) and Asik ($15 mil)? LMAO yeah good luck with that

Kaner
03-14-2014, 02:09 AM
A dwight Melo front court would be nasty but if Harden and Durant couldn't share court time no way can Harden and Melo

Bruno
03-14-2014, 02:10 AM
not gona happen i don't think.

Blitzace137
03-14-2014, 02:11 AM
Phil Jackson is smart. Lin with another good game since hes been healthy. +6 and with 20+PPG. Rockets would just end up missing out on Lin again. Deja Vu.

McHale is not a fan of Lin's, it's obvious, doesn't use him correctly, he's not a good fit for that team either with Harden there as the primary guard.

John Walls Era
03-14-2014, 02:11 AM
Sooo let me get this straight, in order to even have a chance to get Melo, they would have to get rid of Lin ($15 mil) and Asik ($15 mil)? LMAO yeah good luck with that

8 Million...

We only care about against the cap numbers. 15 is what DOlan will pay.

John Walls Era
03-14-2014, 02:13 AM
McHale is not a fan of Lin's, it's obvious, doesn't use him correctly, he's not a good fit for that team either with Harden there as the primary guard.

He is a terrible coach (according to Rockets fans hes not bad...)

He doesn't use Dwight properly either. Needs more PnRs and less of the embarrassing post moves. Dwight (although lost 10% of his athleticism --- it seems) use to be a beast in PnRs with the Magic. I believe most of his points came from that and thats when hes most efficient.

Blitzace137
03-14-2014, 02:13 AM

Not as hard as your making it out to be, both only count as 8.3 million dollar cap hit, both on one year deals. Knicks already wanted to reacquire Lin and Boston was willing to take on Asik before Morey pulled out.

shep33
03-14-2014, 02:18 AM
Doesn't make much sense for Houston. Not sure that makes them better at all.

Plus... Note to all NBA All-Stars. The East sucks. Team up with guys in that conference.

kozelkid
03-14-2014, 02:21 AM
Like I have stated before...

If Melo finds his way onto the rockets, Cp3 will be joining him sooner then later. Harden would be shipped to the Clippers.

And the dream would have been realized, Cp3, Melo, Howard.

Take your meds.

Master Mind
03-14-2014, 02:48 AM
Might as well start retracting teams.

Goose17
03-14-2014, 03:17 AM
Bad move for Houston if it happens.

randyorton33
03-14-2014, 03:29 AM
The Miami Heat have ruined the NBA, all this superteam ish is killing the league.

Iron24th
03-14-2014, 03:46 AM
Melo/harden/howard -> one ball

Supreme LA
03-14-2014, 04:55 AM
Harden & Melo on the same team just sounds like a nightmare.

Monta is beast
03-14-2014, 05:25 AM
Please happen. That's worse than the A.I Melo combo. Big step backwards for the rockets if it happens

Badluck33
03-14-2014, 07:07 AM
lol.

Lin and Asik are staying with HOU.

Morey made his bed, now hes gonna have to lie in it.

bagwell368
03-14-2014, 07:28 AM
I don't buy it for a second. He doesn't seem like a Morey type player.

x2 defense goes to the dogs, no chance

tr3ymill3r
03-14-2014, 07:56 AM
After the trade deadline Daryl Morey actually favorited a tweet of mine in which I stated we would attempt to S&T for Melo during the Summer involving, Asik, Jones and picks and maybe even Parsons.

tr3ymill3r
03-14-2014, 07:58 AM
Melo/harden/howard -> one ball

The Rockets average close to 100 shots a game. With that being said if each of them get 20 shots per game, that still leaves 40 for the rest of the team. Why does everyone bring up one ball? There are plenty of possessions to get plenty of shots. Dumb argument.

c.c.
03-14-2014, 08:39 AM
No! I would accept him here but I damn sure don't WANT him here

nycericanguy
03-14-2014, 08:41 AM
HOU doesn't have to be under the cap to do a S&T, they just have to be under the tax which they are.

If you're the Knicks, you gotta get back Parsons or at least Jones though.

Asik, Lin, Parsons or Jones + 1st rounder for Melo and any veteran piece HOU wants from the roster.

HOU can't sign Melo outright so they wouldn't have great leverage in a trade. Meanwhile if NY took back Lin & Asik that's $30m HOU doesn't have to pay in salary.

torocan
03-14-2014, 08:58 AM

I think it makes sense.

IF Phil is going to move Melo in a S&T, Asik + Lin + Parsons/Tjones + Picks is a very good haul, especially with Asik and Lin on expirings and counting as $8.3M/year on the cap hit. Sure, they get paid $15M in real money, but it's actually a wash in terms of money out since the Knicks are above the salary cap and luxury tax. If it reduces the Knicks over all salary cap hit, the Knicks could actually *save* money with that move.

It also makes Tyson Chandler expendable, so you can then choose to move either Asik or Tyson Chandler for even more players/picks. There's no shortage of teams that could use Tyson Chandler to shore up the 5 position and push them over the top, especially with Tyson Chandler *also* being near the end of his contract.

As for it working, it's one of those situations where it could be great, or it could suck depending on how Melo adjusts. However, it's a no lose situation for Morey since even if it crashes and burns as he can always flip Melo to another team later and get back more long term assets and pieces.

I think this has legs, but it depends heavily on whether Melo wants to stay (and Phil wants to keep him).

Asik's better
03-14-2014, 09:11 AM
The rockets would average 120 points, too bad oppositions would score 140. All the rockets need is a defensive wing who can shoot the occasional three.

c.c.
03-14-2014, 09:13 AM
I think a defensive team like Chicago or Memphis would be a better fit. His offense with their defense would be amazing. Many might not agree with this but I also think the Pelicans would be a better fit than the Knicks. Trade Evans or Gordon, let which ever one you keep play SG (or get rid of both). Bring in a center like Greg Monroe, Gortat, or Hawes from the free agency. Nice young core around Melo

Holiday
Evans/Gordon
Melo
Davis
Monroe/Gortat

That would be a scary starting 5, I would hate for the Rockets to play the four times a season

nycericanguy
03-14-2014, 09:13 AM
Lin+Asik+Jones or Parsons or D-Mo + 1st rounder for Melo works salary wise.

c.c.
03-14-2014, 09:17 AM
Lin+Asik+Jones or Parsons or D-Mo + 1st rounder for Melo works salary wise.

I'm tired of seeing Parsons and Jones, the Rockets are giving up both of them! Plus a first rounder too? It's Melo not Durant, not Lebron. It's Melo!

torocan
03-14-2014, 09:21 AM
I'm tired of seeing Parsons and Jones, the Rockets are giving up both of them! Plus a first rounder too? It's Melo not Durant, not Lebron. It's Melo!

It would most likely be Jones OR Parsons and possibly DMO as filler, not Jones AND Parsons. And yes, there would be a 1st rounder as Houston's 1st rounder is low value unless you think Houston is planning on being a lottery team...

nycericanguy
03-14-2014, 09:37 AM

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/or?s=t

BenFrank
03-14-2014, 10:03 AM
I would be fine with Melo if he came to Houston, it would be better him shooting than Dwight forcing up shots and turning the ball over, he would be more of a Bill Russle type player, Rebound, Defense.. and catching Lobs. I'm starting to feel like Chandler Parsons will be paid more than he's worth and move on after his contract expires.. not to mention if Durant ever becomes available Melo would be a great trade chip

John Walls Era
03-14-2014, 10:04 AM
Melo is very underrated. Hes no Lebron or KD, but hes proven and is right up there as a top SF...

You have to be insane not to want him for Chandler Parsons package lol. Parsons is going to make like 8-12M a year, which is terrible.

D-Leethal
03-14-2014, 10:11 AM
Even Morey puts the old school eye test evaluation above the efficiency whoring. Respect. Rockets have a bunch of trade scenario's so I don't hate this - but I have a hard time seeing anybody walking away from Phil Jackson and the rings he has on his toes.

NYKnickFanatic
03-14-2014, 10:15 AM

You're right, everyone would rather have Parsons and Jones over Melo. :laugh2:

Rndy
03-14-2014, 10:21 AM
I'd love to steal Chandler Parsons away while they go after Melo.

SluggeR
03-14-2014, 10:23 AM
Morey has always said his goal was to land stars. Superman/Harden/Melo..SHUT UP!!

Superman will set the record for highest fg% every year.

Harden will be the first SG to average close to 10 assist per game

Melo would become part-assassin part-thundercat

And Houston fans are worried about Parsons & Jones..SHUT UP!!

Jtirado16
03-14-2014, 10:23 AM
I don't buy it..

KingPosey
03-14-2014, 10:29 AM
I personally think Parson is the **** and only getting better, this would suck for him.

torocan
03-14-2014, 10:43 AM
I don't buy it..

Which part? Clutch (the administrator at the biggest Rockets forum) has confirmed that he had heard rumors from the Rockets that Morey made a play for Melo at the trade deadline.

NYP on the NY side, Clutch on the Rockets' side... that's as close as we'll get to confirmation that it's plausible.

Of course, this all depends on Melo wanting to leave, or PJax not wanting him... which is anyone's guess.

IndyRealist
03-14-2014, 10:56 AM
I can't see how Morey would want this move.

Melo's having a career year, statistically, and I've always thought Melo was better when he played PF and is forced to play closer to the rim. I wouldn't do it simply because the cost-benefit ratio is still negative. Melo's better this year but still not worth his contract with other players you could spend that money on, and you be replacing a rookie scale contract (either Parsons or Jones) with his. That's just not Morey-like.

siix
03-14-2014, 10:57 AM
melo to the rockets will make the team worse

JesusNYY_Savior
03-14-2014, 11:00 AM
melo to the rockets will make the team worse
Your crazy. Melo is ridiculously underrated

Tony_Starks
03-14-2014, 11:07 AM
LaLa ain't going to Texas. She wants either the Broadway or Hollywood lights....

MonroeFAN
03-14-2014, 11:11 AM
Don't know how I feel about it either, but they would definitely be a scary team if they played up to their potential and things worked out. How are you going to Stop Melo and Harden?!

The same way teams stopped Melo and AI.

This sounds like a bad idea.

torocan
03-14-2014, 11:20 AM
Melo's having a career year, statistically, and I've always thought Melo was better when he played PF and is forced to play closer to the rim. I wouldn't do it simply because the cost-benefit ratio is still negative. Melo's better this year but still not worth his contract with other players you could spend that money on, and you be replacing a rookie scale contract (either Parsons or Jones) with his. That's just not Morey-like.

Parsons is going to be UFA soon and demanding big bucks.
Tjones is rookie scale, but he's nowhere near an all star. He's a rotation player with upside.

I think push comes to shove, Morey parts with either of them for Melo.

BenFrank
03-14-2014, 11:26 AM
Comparing Harden and A.I. as the same is ridiculous to me, Hardens a better 3 point shooter, and willing passer.. not to mention he's 6'5 and not 6'0.. Melo has played with both Harden and Howard on the Olympic team, people who think they can't play together must be trolling.. it's not like Basketball is Rocket science

Sactown
03-14-2014, 11:31 AM
Your crazy. Melo is ridiculously underrated

Not really most teams he's on tend to underachieve... He's pretty overrated honestly ... I think he's a hard player to build around because of his ball stopping offense and his mediocre defense.. I also wonder what his best position is anyways

blahblahyoutoo
03-14-2014, 11:52 AM
The Miami Heat have ruined the NBA, all this superteam ish is killing the league.

pierce KG allen????!?!?!

king4day
03-14-2014, 11:57 AM
Complicated yes. NY would ask for Parsons and picks probably. Without that, it'd be a no.

torocan
03-14-2014, 12:02 PM
Complicated yes. NY would ask for Parsons and picks probably. Without that, it'd be a no.

Honestly, I'm not sure that Parsons is guaranteed to be part of the trade. His contract status is going to be up in the air and he's going to command a boatload of money. You'd have to be really sure about Parsons' upside to include him in the deal since he'll tie up cap room for years going forward.

If teams start pushing $11m or $12m in front of Parsons, do you really want to pay him that much to keep him as a Knick? I'm not sure that's a great move with a bunch of cap space falling off the books in 2015/16.

JesusNYY_Savior
03-14-2014, 12:06 PM
Not really most teams he's on tend to underachieve... He's pretty overrated honestly ... I think he's a hard player to build around because of his ball stopping offense and his mediocre defense.. I also wonder what his best position is anyways
How do they underachieve he has never missed the playoffs? And he's proven in the olympics and last year when paired with capable players he will pass the ball. His best position is probably power forward because he isn't tempted to shoot as many threes even though his 3pt shot has become one of his stronger suits. Also he is a pretty scrappy defender he certainly isn't killing us on that end. 'Melo is by no means overrated he is just hated on unfairly. And I'm not just being a homer I would say the same thing about him if he bolts this summer.

waveycrockett
03-14-2014, 12:20 PM
I think they would be much better off with Kyle Lowry than Melo. He is way too trigger happy to fit in with D12 and Harden.

Raps18-19 Champ
03-14-2014, 12:31 PM
Won't happen.

farren.louis
03-14-2014, 12:38 PM
Yes it'll work, but not with Mchale as the coach

John Walls Era
03-14-2014, 12:39 PM
I personally think Parson is the **** and only getting better, this would suck for him.

He can be the man in NY.... thats bad for him?

Chronz
03-14-2014, 12:48 PM
I could see Morey making this move, depending on what they give up. But those complaining about efficiency, if hes replacing Parsons or D-Mo, he has about an equal rate of efficiency as those guys, only on much higher usage. So imagine if you can optimize Harden's efficiency, getting him back to an insane level would offset whatever loss you can imagine, Melo does command alot of attention and has gotten better as a team player. The only problem would come if Dwight *****es about his lack of touches. Maybe Melo becomes a higher efficiency guy with less touches as well. Its possible that their games all clash but if Melo replaces some post-ups to catching and shooting possessions, they all might improve. Cant wait till the off-season tho.

Iron24th
03-14-2014, 12:50 PM
The Rockets average close to 100 shots a game. With that being said if each of them get 20 shots per game, that still leaves 40 for the rest of the team. Why does everyone bring up one ball? There are plenty of possessions to get plenty of shots. Dumb argument.

3 players who demand the ball pretty much, 2 are ballhogs and very similar players, playing iso type of offense, it should answer your question pretty quickly genius.

mike_noodles
03-14-2014, 12:51 PM
Just my two cents. I don't think they are a championship squad with a Melo + Harden duo. If they moved Harden for a guard that wasn't as ball dominant, then they'd be a much better squad.

Chronz
03-14-2014, 12:51 PM
Parsons is gonna command an extension soon anyways and Morey can draft well enough to find stopgaps. Money ball is more important when first building a team, once you got the contending foundation in place, you go over the cap and overspend to keep/attain certain guys. I imagine he would overspend to keep Parsons if he doesn't trade him.

3RDASYSTEM
03-14-2014, 12:52 PM
http://nypost.com/2014/03/13/source-rockets-could-make-a-big-push-for-carmelo/

as a Houston fan, i don't know how i feel about this rumor. Melo's talented and all but i don't know if mixing his personality with Harden (has the tendancy to cruise and be lazy) and Dwight (a big goofy guy) is a good idea. I feel like putting them three together will just lead to heartbreaks :( i rather Houston wait and see if Jalen Rose's prediction of Kevin Durant coming to the Rockets will come true or not :p

Well lets see, KD is mellow laid back, the servant as he called him self, and don't take 'kindness for weakness' as he stated also, RUSS is fiery energetic allout in your face style, and SERGE is like KD but has some RUSS fire, and PERK is the tough guy who probably isn't that tough but his presence and perception say otherwise

MELO would fit right in, as the bona fide scorer they need come playoff time

who would you depend on to get clutch buckets, PARSONS or MELO? MELO or HARDEN? But they will be on same team so that makes it a plus

Chronz
03-14-2014, 12:52 PM
Just my two cents. I don't think they are a championship squad with a Melo + Harden duo. If they moved Harden for a guard that wasn't as ball dominant, then they'd be a much better squad.
I doubt thats even a thought considering Harden may very well be the superior player, and most certainly will be moving forward.

Besides, Harden has already proven he could play off the ball, he just needs someone the caliber of Melo/Durant/WB to help with that.

Hawkeye15
03-14-2014, 02:36 PM
Parsons is gonna command an extension soon anyways and Morey can draft well enough to find stopgaps. Money ball is more important when first building a team, once you got the contending foundation in place, you go over the cap and overspend to keep/attain certain guys. I imagine he would overspend to keep Parsons if he doesn't trade him.

Les Alexander has no issue going over the cap for a contending team. I would imagine in any SnT for a player like Melo though, that Chandler is part of it. That being said, what leverage would NY even have, so this will be interesting if it's true.

IndyRealist
03-14-2014, 02:49 PM
I could see Morey making this move, depending on what they give up. But those complaining about efficiency, if hes replacing Parsons or D-Mo, he has about an equal rate of efficiency as those guys, only on much higher usage. So imagine if you can optimize Harden's efficiency, getting him back to an insane level would offset whatever loss you can imagine, Melo does command alot of attention and has gotten better as a team player. The only problem would come if Dwight *****es about his lack of touches. Maybe Melo becomes a higher efficiency guy with less touches as well. Its possible that their games all clash but if Melo replaces some post-ups to catching and shooting possessions, they all might improve. Cant wait till the off-season tho.

Possessions are a zero sum gain, changing players without changing the pace does not increase it. Moving Melo into that lineup means that Harden and Howard have to give up touches. Efficiency would only improve if they were willing to pass up bad shots, and I don't think either Harden or Melo are willing to give up the ball and trust that their teammates will get a better chance to score. Howard's a little bit different because post players have to be set up, but again he demands touches. Passing back out of the post is not common for him unless it directly leads to an assist.

I disagree. When you're on the cusp it's more important than ever, since you've likely loaded up on big contracts and if it doesn't work then you have no way of retooling without blowing up your core. Then you can't even pay your own UFA's. Look at how stuck the Thunder have been, with essentially the same roster for the last few years. But they are capped out with big deals and may not be able to pay Sefolosha this summer. How many times have they brought back Derek Fisher?

barreleffact
03-14-2014, 02:54 PM
I think this would be a great move for the Rockets only. If it happens, they become legit IMO.

However (D12 rant time), I LOVE (sarcasm) how Dwight would talk about his LA experience and liken it solely to losing. Really? Dude, you played half-heartedly, had terrible PR, were oft injured, did not produce as a superstar, I mean the list of the HE did raise the question of why would anyone seriously have reached out to him. Especially, considering he was postulated to be a rental the whole time. His situation was absolutely nothing like Melo's. Plus, Melo knows what playing in a big and a small market is like, so why Dwight would need to put his two cents in is beyond me. Serious question, Dwight? How many sponsors do you have now that you didn't have in LA? You are winning right? Oh, It's because you BARELY made the All Star team and are still not the definitive best big man in basketball. I would go farther to say he is in no way the best big or even center in the league. Melo is top 3 behind the two best PLAYERS in the league. Huge difference Dwight.

KnicksorBust
03-14-2014, 03:04 PM
Ironically I think Melo is a bad fit. I say ironically because the other day I was drooling over how good he would be in Chicago and theoretically it's the same situation. Another guard who can take the load off his shoulders (Rose vs. Harden) and an elite defensive big man to cover up for him defense (Noah vs. Dwight). However, and I would love to get another opinion on this... I think the reason Chicago would work so well is partially because Noah is a ball mover. He doesn't need to post-up and "get his." He loves setting up teammates. He's become a triple-double threat every night. I can just see Rose trying to enter the ball to Melo in the post... only he's fronted... so Noah flashes at the elbow and it's an easy high-low for the deuce. I don't see that happening in Houston.

I'm not sure how their offense would run... the talent is so good that they would be a contender, I don't think it's an ideal fit to maximize all the player's skills.

Baller1
03-14-2014, 03:06 PM
That would be ****ing ******** by Houston. They'd regret that massively.

elledaddy
03-14-2014, 03:19 PM
I thought bcuz of the poison pill in the contract, its a 8.3 mill cap hit for Houston but wud b a 15 mill cap hit for any other team for Lin and Asik

abe_froman
03-14-2014, 03:37 PM
Ironically I think Melo is a bad fit. I say ironically because the other day I was drooling over how good he would be in Chicago and theoretically it's the same situation. Another guard who can take the load off his shoulders (Rose vs. Harden) and an elite defensive big man to cover up for him defense (Noah vs. Dwight). However, and I would love to get another opinion on this... I think the reason Chicago would work so well is partially because Noah is a ball mover. He doesn't need to post-up and "get his." He loves setting up teammates. He's become a triple-double threat every night. I can just see Rose trying to enter the ball to Melo in the post... only he's fronted... so Noah flashes at the elbow and it's an easy high-low for the deuce. I don't see that happening in Houston.

I'm not sure how their offense would run... the talent is so good that they would be a contender, I don't think it's an ideal fit to maximize all the player's skills.
houston could work extremely well depending on if they are willing to to share,melo i say(to my surprise)might be the most willing to do that because of what he's gone through in ny,playing hero ball.while i'm unsure about harden and howard(remember him complaining in la),being up for that.

the beauty of chicago is that they need what melo already does,they desperately need a go to scorer.noah isnt a guy like howard,someone you can just throw the ball down to and he's much more willing to pass it/set others up,and who knows if rose can be hat guy anymore(mentally or physically)

either situation i think could work for melo

SluggeR
03-14-2014, 04:02 PM
Yes it'll work, but not with Mchale as the coach

I can feel where you coming from. I thought McHale would utilize Dwight a lot more. The Rockets make the game a lot harder than they have to be. You have an enormous mismatch every night with Dwight in the post, but most nights it's like Dwight is the 3rd or 4th option. It drives me crazy to watch rocket players not deliver the ball in the post when Dwight hustles to the post and pens his man behind him. It's crazy that his teammates suck at feeding the post and don't get him the ball when he gets early position. Besides throwing alley-oops, they suck at feeding Dwight.

SluggeR
03-14-2014, 04:15 PM
Dwight/Harden/Melo would be LETHAL. Harden is a fantastic playmaker, even with the amount of shots he takes. Harden would definitely get the ball to an open Melo. Harden slashing to the basket and having the option to score, throw the alley to Dwight, or kicking it to Melo..NOT EVEN FAIR. It's not like Houston runs their offense through Dwight right now. If the Rockets aint gonna force feed Dwight I would rather Melo getting those shots that their role players jack-up every night. Melo is playing insane now and that's with him being the only consistent scorer on his team. Imagine how efficient and deadly Melo would be if he had Harden setting him up and Dwight making defenders cover him in the post SMH. I like watching Houston play because I'm a fan of Dwight, but it's obvious this team is missing something and will not win a ring the way they are constructed. I'll go toe-to-toe with Dwight/Melo/Harden vs. Lebron/Wade/Bosh any day and twice on Sunday..

DR_1
03-14-2014, 04:25 PM

It's difficult for me to remain objective in this scenario, but objectively speaking ya I agree with you.

tr3ymill3r
03-14-2014, 04:27 PM
lol.

Lin and Asik are staying with HOU.

Morey made his bed, now hes gonna have to lie in it.

You don't LIE in a bed, you might lay in it or tell lies, but never lie in it.

chicagocubsfan
03-14-2014, 04:31 PM
He's coming to the Bulls.

TrueFan420
03-14-2014, 04:32 PM

You can lie to get someone to lay in bed

Goose17
03-14-2014, 04:39 PM

http://i34.photobucket.com/albums/d145/Chris_stone88/english-motherf-do-you-speak-it_zpsd9ed70aa.jpg

How do you not lie in a bed? It's an intransitive verb. And you have to remember past and present tense, you would say "I'm going to lie in bed until my leg feels better", you wouldn't say "I'm going to lay in bed until my leg feels better".

Today you need to lie down, yesterday you lay down.

#MintGorilla?

c.c.
03-14-2014, 05:09 PM
LaLa ain't going to Texas. She wants either the Broadway or Hollywood lights....

Have you been to Texas?

barreleffact
03-14-2014, 07:14 PM
^I have. It ain't LA that's for sure.

3RDASYSTEM
03-14-2014, 07:30 PM

Well if MELO opts out then they would basically have to take what they can, ala how CAVS ended up with picks as well as RAPS for BOSH

MOREY is top 5 GM in the league so im sure he will maximize all his assets properly

MELO won a ncaa title as freshman so im sure he has been a team player its just more of a 'me' league as compared to ncaa and nba, and ncaa is me league as well, they just preach academics to make it more acceptable and hidden

if/when MELO replaces those 2 it will be his impact that will be felt more regardless of usage because he is more of a dynamic player and I think PARSONS is nice on the court, MELO is just next level

I think DWIGHT would see more touches since they both draw doubles and can pass out the double at least at avg rate, but they all would have to sacrifice touches but become a 60 win team in the process as opposed to the 30 win team he has in NYC at the moment

reason why it will work is because MELO can play off ball and post up and draw doubles to possibly kick it to DWIGHT and for sure HARDEN, easy money

Asik's better
03-14-2014, 07:44 PM
http://i34.photobucket.com/albums/d145/Chris_stone88/english-motherf-do-you-speak-it_zpsd9ed70aa.jpg

How do you not lie in a bed? It's an intransitive verb. And you have to remember past and present tense, you would say "I'm going to lie in bed until my leg feels better", you wouldn't say "I'm going to lay in bed until my leg feels better".

Today you need to lie down, yesterday you lay down.

#MintGorilla?

Actually lay is still present tense. You say lay in regards of an object. Eg: can you lay that book down.

IndyRealist
03-14-2014, 08:17 PM
I thought bcuz of the poison pill in the contract, its a 8.3 mill cap hit for Houston but wud b a 15 mill cap hit for any other team for Lin and Asik

That's not how it works at all. It's would only have been $15M if the Knicks matched. The cap hit is $8.3 no matter what now.

barreleffact
03-14-2014, 08:38 PM
I can feel where you coming from. I thought McHale would utilize Dwight a lot more. The Rockets make the game a lot harder than they have to be. You have an enormous mismatch every night with Dwight in the post, but most nights it's like Dwight is the 3rd or 4th option. It drives me crazy to watch rocket players not deliver the ball in the post when Dwight hustles to the post and pens his man behind him. It's crazy that his teammates suck at feeding the post and don't get him the ball when he gets early position. Besides throwing alley-oops, they suck at feeding Dwight.

It's hard to have Dwight as the number one or two option when hes FT shooting is THAT bad.

Chronz
03-15-2014, 12:43 AM
Well if MELO opts out then they would basically have to take what they can, ala how CAVS ended up with picks as well as RAPS for BOSH

MOREY is top 5 GM in the league so im sure he will maximize all his assets properly

MELO won a ncaa title as freshman so im sure he has been a team player its just more of a 'me' league as compared to ncaa and nba, and ncaa is me league as well, they just preach academics to make it more acceptable and hidden

if/when MELO replaces those 2 it will be his impact that will be felt more regardless of usage because he is more of a dynamic player and I think PARSONS is nice on the court, MELO is just next level

I think DWIGHT would see more touches since they both draw doubles and can pass out the double at least at avg rate, but they all would have to sacrifice touches but become a 60 win team in the process as opposed to the 30 win team he has in NYC at the moment

reason why it will work is because MELO can play off ball and post up and draw doubles to possibly kick it to DWIGHT and for sure HARDEN, easy money

Melo's more the guy who makes the basic post read, to the open shooter who can then collapse the defense or kick it out to another open teammate before the rotation. I dont see him getting too many dumpoffs, but if he attacks the glass, I can see Dwight rebounding his misses. Which has value in itself.

Parsons is a great passer and would actually thrive with a player like Melo, so if they can get him without sacrificing him, its over.

Tony_Starks
03-15-2014, 02:57 AM
Have you been to Texas?

Indeed I have. It's not about Texas, I love it down there. It's about his wife wanting the bright lights for promotional reasons. She's a NY/ Cali girl.

While that may seem insignificant to you or I it's pretty well documented she plays a big role in his decision....

Blitzace137
03-15-2014, 03:06 AM
Indeed I have. It's not about Texas, I love it down there. It's about his wife wanting the bright lights for promotional reasons. She's a NY/ Cali girl.

While that may seem insignificant to you or I it's pretty well documented she plays a big role in his decision....

She lived in Denver with him, and she said she'll go wherever his career takes him. If Melo wants to team up with Harden and Dwight, you really think she's gonna say no?

Tony_Starks
03-15-2014, 05:23 PM
She lived in Denver with him, and she said she'll go wherever his career takes him. If Melo wants to team up with Harden and Dwight, you really think she's gonna say no?

What else is she going to say? And who's to say he wants to go to Houston to begin with? Who's to say he wouldn't prefer to go play with his boy CP3 in LA and now everybodies happy?

I'm just saying he's a FA, the whole point of him opting out is so he can pick a team and town that he ( and his wife) want.

NYKNYGNYY
03-15-2014, 05:32 PM
Don't see how it would work with harden a better all around player IMO ... Melo is a better scorer and will always want the ball ... I have a feeling Phil signed on the grounds knowing melo will stay

RLundi
03-15-2014, 06:30 PM
Not going to happen. I typically wouldn't put anything past Morey but even this seems nearly impossible. He'd have to first convince Anthony to take less money and then convince the Knicks to accept their package. I don't see both happening.

alexander_37
03-15-2014, 07:03 PM
I am torn on this. I dislike Melo, but it would be really fun to watch.

NYKNYGNYY
03-15-2014, 07:20 PM
I am torn on this. I dislike Melo, but it would be really fun to watch.

Do u think he could really mesh with harden... Lin dosnt start and he's had problems playing with him before... Now u put melo n Howard that would be perfect a pure scorer and a defensive and rebound machine... I think that would be one of the best duos in the nba

moshy2
03-15-2014, 07:58 PM
It would make them even more dangerous and entertaining, but I don't believe adding Melo will eventually win them a championship. I'm not a Melo fan and i don't think him, Harden, and Howard will be able to mesh enough to take them there. They're already pretty close, I think Melo would be too big of a change

NBA_Starter
03-15-2014, 09:39 PM
I don't think the fit is there, it would be one too many players that need the ball in their hands. Not that I see him going there anyway.

c.c.
03-16-2014, 09:15 AM
http://bleacherreport.com/articles/446220-melo-out-houston-five-trades-rockets-could-engineer-to-land-anthony

You guys forgot about Melo putting the Rockets on his wish list before he got traded to the Knicks, he also said he'll prefer the Rockets over the Knicks.

Yahoo Sports! NBA writer Adrian Wojnarowski suggested in a column last week, via an “unnamed source,” that Anthony would prefer Houston, not New York as a landing spot. Sports Illustrated’sChris Mannix cited another anonymous source who said ‘Melo would welcome an extension from the Rockets, should Denver consign him to Houston.

c.c.
03-16-2014, 09:21 AM
I love Parsons on our team but I think the Knicks would help him grow into the all-star I know he is. A few days ago I was like "no way to Melo", now I got mixed emotions about the deal honestly

nycericanguy
03-16-2014, 10:51 AM
I love Parsons on our team but I think the Knicks would help him grow into the all-star I know he is. A few days ago I was like "no way to Melo", now I got mixed emotions about the deal honestly

Well Parsons on the same team with Melo, Harden & Howard probably would never touch the ball anyway...lol.

Not to mention he's due for a HUGE pay increase, which hurts his value. There is no way HOU can pay FOUR guys max or near max. I mean they could.. but that's asking a lot of an owner.

If I'm the KNicks I really wouldn't mind taking Jones instead given he's under control for a few more years, is younger and has upside as well. Not that Parsons doesn't... but I'm not sure how Parsons would fair as a #1 guy.

Asik+Lin+Jones + 1st round pick for Melo straight up works. That would be the absolute bare minimum I take if I'm NY considering Lin & Asik can just walk at seasons end and the pick is going to be a very late 1st rounder.

NBA_Starter
03-16-2014, 07:33 PM

Couldn't Melo play the 4? They have to find a way to get / keep them both.

goku
03-16-2014, 07:37 PM
Rockets need a PG more then melo or if they want another star wait for KD in 16 Harden and him good ol buddies

Jahari Kavi
03-16-2014, 07:43 PM
U gotta do it if you get the chance to. This team is one piece away...even with a bad coach like Mchale. We match up well with Miami, Spurs, Pacers, etc. we just lack that one extra player. I would have loved for Morey to move Parsons for Rondo, because he would open the game up for Dwight so much........But Melo would be nice with Harden, Howard, and Jones who I personally value more than Parsons..........

Jahari Kavi
03-16-2014, 07:57 PM
I truly do believe he will be a Rocket because it makes the most sense for Melo and the Knicks....Chicago could be a good fit but that all depends on Rose's knees which are a wildcard....Howard + Harden > Noah + Rose.....Knicks could get some expiring contracts and then go after KD and others in 2015......Phil doesn't like Melo and vice versa....I'm surprised the Melo talk is just starting now though.....I thought it was possible the moment we got Dwight............

Jahari Kavi
03-16-2014, 08:02 PM
I do find it funny that a lot of people think this would somehow make the Rockets worse.....people said the same thing about Lebron and Wade needing the ball and they've worked out just fine.....Plus Harden has played with KD and Westbrook before so he knows how to play with guys who need the ball.........With Wade's knees getting older by the day and the lack of big men in the NBA you absolutely go after Melo unless you are brain dead......

NBA_Starter
03-16-2014, 08:20 PM
I just can't see him leaving with PJ.

mrblisterdundee
03-17-2014, 01:56 AM
Houston sends Omer Asik, Jeremy Lin and Chandler Parsons to New York for Carmelo Anthony.
Houston gets a big three, although it needs to find a point guard. New York basically gets a new, youthful core to work with. And most of their contracts expire the same year, except for Jones.

c.c.
03-17-2014, 02:33 AM
Couldn't Melo play the 4? They have to find a way to get / keep them both.

Yeah he could but we would get beat up down low against real power forwards. Also, the Knicks might try to do everything in their power to make they get Parsons out the deal.

alexander_37
03-17-2014, 03:52 AM
Houston sends Omer Asik, Jeremy Lin and Chandler Parsons to New York for Carmelo Anthony.
Houston gets a big three, although it needs to find a point guard. New York basically gets a new, youthful core to work with. And most of their contracts expire the same year, except for Jones.

Houston starts Beverly already, they also have a good young PG in Cannan.

KniCks4LiFe
03-17-2014, 11:55 AM
I just can't see him leaving with PJ.

me neither , but when he saids things like

"I don’t think it’ll have any effect on me, just as far as what I’m thinking or my decision or anything like that,"

and that relays to Phil.

How could it not? what Steve Mills and his CAA crack staff connects of stars in hollywood and entertainment, that had an effect on you? how could Jackson a genius basketball mind not have an IMPACT in your decision. It's PHIL JACKSON! :laugh2:

D-Leethal
03-17-2014, 11:59 AM
me neither , but when he saids things like

"I don’t think it’ll have any effect on me, just as far as what I’m thinking or my decision or anything like that,"

and that relays to Phil.

How could it not? what Steve Mills and his CAA crack staff connects of stars in hollywood and entertainment, that had an effect on you? how could Jackson a genius basketball mind not have an IMPACT in your decision. It's PHIL JACKSON! :laugh2:

Why would he say anything different?

OMGZ I LOVE PHIL I'M STAYING.

His agent would slap the **** out of him. Melo isn't stupid. He's gonna keep his pokerface on until its time to negotiate.

As for being ball dominant, Melo needs someone to take the ball out of his hands and he will thrive if he is able to focus more on catch and shoot than creating opportunities out of thin air. His catch and shoot game is elite and he turned himself into one of the best 3pt shooters in the league.

Jeffy25
03-17-2014, 12:26 PM
That's not enough for New York.

And do they want Lin back and his contact?

Guppyfighter
03-17-2014, 12:34 PM
Because Parsons is amazing and it would be amazing to have him. Plus, Asik and Lin are both expirers next years.

KnickaBocka.44
03-17-2014, 12:41 PM
Because Parsons is amazing and it would be amazing to have him. Plus, Asik and Lin are both expirers next years.

It's amazing to have him on the deal he's on now. After that, probably not so much.

farren.louis
03-17-2014, 12:41 PM
It'll work Harden is #1 option ( playmaker scorer and shooter ) melo is a 2 (when you really need a bucket ) Dwight is a #3 (when all else fails ) go for it Houston .

KniCks4LiFe
03-17-2014, 12:59 PM
Why would he say anything different?

OMGZ I LOVE PHIL I'M STAYING.

His agent would slap the **** out of him. Melo isn't stupid. He's gonna keep his pokerface on until its time to negotiate.

As for being ball dominant, Melo needs someone to take the ball out of his hands and he will thrive if he is able to focus more on catch and shoot than creating opportunities out of thin air. His catch and shoot game is elite and he turned himself into one of the best 3pt shooters in the league.

It's Phil Jackson. He's opting out for more money and that doesn't exactly help us.

Easy question.

Your Phil Jackson. Is your 1st move spend $30M dollars to keep Carmelo Anthony in NY and attempt to build something you don't really believe in just yet. Or do you blow it up to build it how you want it?

D-Leethal
03-17-2014, 01:22 PM
It's Phil Jackson. He's opting out for more money and that doesn't exactly help us.

Easy question.

Your Phil Jackson. Is your 1st move spend $30M dollars to keep Carmelo Anthony in NY and attempt to build something you don't really believe in just yet. Or do you blow it up to build it how you want it?

You gotta learn to stop preaching every thought that pops into your head as a bonafide fact. What exactly "is something you don't really believe in just yet"? How the hell do you know what Phil believes in? Phil is 68 years old, I doubt he's trying to rebuild via 5-10 year tanking plan. I would imagine resigning Melo to a fair deal is his first priority. (PS - see what terms like "I doubt", and "I would imagine" do for your post? You should try it sometime instead of pretending you have some sort of "in" with everyone you post about).

Melo said he will take less money if he believes in the plan. I think a Phil Jackson plan is probably the surest plan you can get. If Melo stays I fully expect him to take less than the Kobe-max. I know you think its impossible to suggest one would opt out and resign for less money, but you've been shown a slew of precedents and Melo himself said he would do it, yet you think your word is the land of the law here based on......nothing at all.

The fact that at the super-max his contract would end at close to 30M after 5 years of increases doesn't mean your throwing 30M at him. More opinionated hyperbole your camouflaging as fact.

KniCks4LiFe
03-17-2014, 01:41 PM
Melo said he will take less money if he believes in the plan. I think a Phil Jackson plan is probably the surest plan you can get. If Melo stays I fully expect him to take less than the Kobe-max. I know you think its impossible to suggest one would opt out and resign for less money, but you've been shown a slew of precedents and Melo himself said he would do it, yet you think your word is the land of the law here based on......nothing at all.

I don't believe that Melo is into finding out next season is a wash out and the "retooling" won't be w/ Phil coaching or even in full effect until 2016 or 17'. I believe he's setting up his exit. And he'll use Phil as his excuse to leave and blame it on uncertainties w/ Phil Jackson the GM and his coach of his personally choosing. That is my opinion.

The fact that at the super-max his contract would end at close to 30M after 5 years of increases doesn't mean your throwing 30M at him. More opinionated hyperbole your camouflaging as fact.

That's great. I just don't see Melo staying.

smith&wesson
03-17-2014, 01:45 PM
Harden and Carmelo both need the ball in their hands to be effective. And then theres Howard who needs his touches. not enough ball to go around.

Rockets need to trade lin and asik for some depth and they will be just fine with out melo. they really dont need him when they have parsons who fits their system way better anyways.

KniCks4LiFe
03-17-2014, 01:50 PM
Harden and Carmelo both need the ball in their hands to be effective. And then theres Howard who needs his touches. not enough ball to go around.

Rockets need to trade lin and asik for some depth and they will be just fine with out melo. they really dont need him when they have parsons who fits their system way better anyways.

that's great but it's your team that called NY. We didn't call you initiating anything. Morey asked about Melo.

Chronz
03-17-2014, 01:53 PM
that's great but it's your team that called NY. We didn't call you initiating anything. Morey asked about Melo.

Rockets aren't his team. Hes a Raps fan whos giving his take on what the report is saying, which may or may not be factual.

KniCks4LiFe
03-17-2014, 01:55 PM
Rockets aren't his team. Hes a Raps fan whos giving his take on what the report is saying, which may or may not be factual.

ah thank you.

Jeffy25
03-17-2014, 02:16 PM

But is Parsons really worth Melo?

Throw in a pick or two, and yeah, probably a good deal all around.

smith&wesson
03-17-2014, 02:18 PM
ah thank you.

In terms of need, I just dont think melo fits the rockets system. Harden and Howard need floor spacers and guys who dont really need the ball to be effective. To me that sounds more like a parsons than melo.

Dont get me wrong, thats not a knock on melo.. I just never saw him as a player who plays off the ball and simply stretches the floor or to divert..

flea
03-17-2014, 02:28 PM
I don't see the Rockets trading Parsons. He's the perfect fit at both forward positions for the Rockets. Moves well without the ball, great spot-up shooter, one of the best cutters in the league, above average defender, and a good passer. Carmelo does, well, none of those things particularly well. Instead of having one no-defense ball-dominant wing the Rockets would have two - and they'd hamstring their payroll by trying to keep two redundant stars.

I just don't see the point in such a move. It'd make better team sense for the Rockets to trade Harden for a package including Carmelo. And of course that never happens.

todu82
03-17-2014, 02:41 PM
If the Rockets got Melo and still kept Howard and Harden they'd be a team to watch for next year and could be the new big 3.

flea
03-17-2014, 02:47 PM
I do find it funny that a lot of people think this would somehow make the Rockets worse.....people said the same thing about Lebron and Wade needing the ball and they've worked out just fine.....Plus Harden has played with KD and Westbrook before so he knows how to play with guys who need the ball.........With Wade's knees getting older by the day and the lack of big men in the NBA you absolutely go after Melo unless you are brain dead......

Wade and Lebron are both versatile two-way players though. Harden and Melo are not. The problems of having Wade and Lebron on the same team manifest every once in a while in the Heat's halfcourt offense. Neither one of them is a guy that any perimeter defender respects to take a spot-up shot, so there's often a lot of standing around by one or the other while his defender sags into the lane. It hurts them less because they usually surround those two with Ray Allen, Chalmers, Bosh, and Battier who are all above average spot-up shooters.

nickdymez
03-17-2014, 03:46 PM
Only the advanced stat nerds are against this. Melo, Harden, and Dwight is a sick core

Chronz
03-17-2014, 04:10 PM
LOL still not getting the hand of this thing called logic ayy dymes........

In terms of need, I just dont think melo fits the rockets system. Harden and Howard need floor spacers and guys who dont really need the ball to be effective. To me that sounds more like a parsons than melo.

Dont get me wrong, thats not a knock on melo.. I just never saw him as a player who plays off the ball and simply stretches the floor or to divert..

You hear that wesson, only the stat nerds hate it. Guess this makes you a stat nerd.

Guess this makes me someone who never looks at stats cuz I like the core.

smith&wesson
03-17-2014, 04:13 PM
Only the advanced stat nerds are against this. Melo, Harden, and Dwight is a sick core

morey is one of those advanced stats nerds, just saying..

Howard, Harden, & Melo would look good on paper because they are three shiney big names but in terms of skill set they dont really fit one another well. Someone needs to be pass first and get the ball to howard. cant have two ball dominant wing players and howard as a core and think that they will mesh well.

smith&wesson
03-17-2014, 04:15 PM
LOL still not getting the hand of this thing called logic ayy dymes........

You hear that wesson, only the stat nerds hate it. Guess this makes you a stat nerd.

Guess this makes me someone who never looks at stats cuz I like the core.

Ironic because you probably know 10x more about advanced stats than I do :shrug:

D-Leethal
03-17-2014, 04:43 PM
I'm not sure how I feel about it for Houston. It seems to take away from their overall balance as a unit just to add more potency and firepower - that doesn't always work. Harden would have to be more of a facilitator and less of an iso-scorer. Melo would have to get used to being a catch and shoot option more than an isolation opportunity-creator. If there is anyone who can make up for having multiple poor defenders on the wing, its Dwight, but I still don't see it as an ideal big 3. I do think it could work if Harden and Melo are able to bend their games accordingly and successfully.

I think you would need to find a hybrid defensive ace to play the 3/4 next to Melo at the 3/4. Someone like Deng.

Beverley
Harden
Deng
Melo
Dwight

Is quite a starting 5, and you have offensive/defensive balance.

KniCks4LiFe
03-17-2014, 04:57 PM
yes big blue DRC !!!

Guppyfighter
03-17-2014, 05:15 PM

It is if you get nothing in return otherwise.

Guppyfighter
03-17-2014, 05:16 PM
How could anyone say Harden needs the ball to be effective? Harden is elite as **** off the ball.

Goose17
03-17-2014, 05:36 PM
How could anyone say Harden needs the ball to be effective? Harden is elite as **** off the ball.

IMO he doesn't play off the ball enough to make an informed decision and come to any conclusion. He's a very ball dominant 2-guard though.

Guppyfighter
03-17-2014, 05:37 PM
IMO he doesn't play off the ball enough to make an informed decision and come to any conclusion. He's a very ball dominant 2-guard though.

His time with the Thunder says otherwise.

nickdymez
03-17-2014, 05:38 PM
I'm not sure how I feel about it for Houston. It seems to take away from their overall balance as a unit just to add more potency and firepower - that doesn't always work. Harden would have to be more of a facilitator and less of an iso-scorer. Melo would have to get used to being a catch and shoot option more than an isolation opportunity-creator. If there is anyone who can make up for having multiple poor defenders on the wing, its Dwight, but I still don't see it as an ideal big 3. I do think it could work if Harden and Melo are able to bend their games accordingly and successfully.

I think you would need to find a hybrid defensive ace to play the 3/4 next to Melo at the 3/4. Someone like Deng.

Beverley
Harden
Deng
Melo
Dwight

Is quite a starting 5, and you have offensive/defensive balance.

I dont care what none of you people in this thread say, this unit is championship caliber and easily the favorites to win it.

nickdymez
03-17-2014, 05:38 PM

Pretty much

Goose17
03-17-2014, 05:40 PM
It only works if you ditch Chandler and Lin. Chandler is self explanatory, Lin and Melo never really got along.

Even then, I'm not convinced it would be the right move for Houston. It sure would be fun to watch though.

Harden - Melo - Howard
vs
Westbrook - Durant - Ibaka

That's a regular season series I would tune in to.

As is;

CP3 - Griffin - Jordan
Harden - Melo - Dwight

Yeah, I don't know if it's the right move, I doubt that it is, but I want to see it.

nickdymez
03-17-2014, 05:41 PM
When I took my shot at advance stat guy, it was because advance stat guy HATES Carmelo....

Goose17
03-17-2014, 05:45 PM

Only when Westbrook was on the floor. Again, not a big enough sample size imo. And at least Westbrook was a capable play maker, Melo doesn't make plays for others, it's only logical to keep the ball in Hardens hands as much as possible and have Melo playing off the ball.

Goose17
03-17-2014, 05:46 PM
When I took my shot at advance stat guy, it was because advance stat guy HATES Carmelo....

No wonder. He's disgustingly overrated by a lot of people.

Hawkeye15
03-17-2014, 05:51 PM
It only works if you ditch Chandler and Lin. Chandler is self explanatory, Lin and Melo never really got along.

Even then, I'm not convinced it would be the right move for Houston. It sure would be fun to watch though.

Harden - Melo - Howard
vs

As is;

CP3 - Griffin - Jordan
Harden - Melo - Dwight

Yeah, I don't know if it's the right move, I doubt that it is, but I want to see it.

Melo actually works better as a 4 now, so keeping Chandler is ideal actually. Lin just needs to go period, unless he will take a huge paycut when his deal is up. Ideally, the way that team is built though, they are better off with a really good shooter at PG. Beverley and Lin are not that.

Not sure if Houston could hold onto Parsons in a SnT though, I would want him if I am NY.

c.c.
03-17-2014, 05:51 PM

Why all that for a team just trying to get something for a guy before he walks?

Hawkeye15
03-17-2014, 05:52 PM

no, we don't. We just don't have him on the level of LeBron, Durant, Paul, and a few others. Melo is still an awesome player, he just isn't the elite of the elite.

Guppyfighter
03-17-2014, 05:55 PM
Just so everyone knows, NYpost has zero credibility.

Goose17
03-17-2014, 05:59 PM
Melo actually works better as a 4 now, so keeping Chandler is ideal actually. Lin just needs to go period, unless he will take a huge paycut when his deal is up. Ideally, the way that team is built though, they are better off with a really good shooter at PG. Beverley and Lin are not that.

Not sure if Houston could hold onto Parsons in a SnT though, I would want him if I am NY.

I'm not sure, Hardens defense is sketchy, as is Melo. Howard can't cover up for their mistakes all of the time, and Beverley can't guard all of the perimeter players on the opposing team. I think moving Parsons for two way player who leans more towards the defensive side makes sense (somebody suggested Deng? Fantasy I know but the right idea, maybe just a lesser guy, somewhere in between C.J Miles and Deng).

Plus, no way a S&T gets done unless it involves Parsons.

Hawkeye15
03-17-2014, 06:06 PM
I'm not sure, Hardens defense is sketchy, as is Melo. Howard can't cover up for their mistakes all of the time, and Beverley can't guard all of the perimeter players on the opposing team. I think moving Parsons for two way player who leans more towards the defensive side makes sense (somebody suggested Deng? Fantasy I know but the right idea, maybe just a lesser guy, somewhere in between C.J Miles and Deng).

Plus, no way a S&T gets done unless it involves Parsons.

Parsons is a very good defender. Melo has become underrated, only because he is at least average at this point, after gaining a reputation (well deserved I might add) early in his career as a bad defender. That rep is always impossible to ditch (see Dirk).

Yeah man, no way a SnT doesn't involve Parsons. If they do get Melo in a SnT, they will then turn to FA with whatever exceptions they have to get defenders. Remember, they will get something for Asik as well. Perhaps he goes in the deal as well, who knows.

AddiX
03-17-2014, 06:16 PM
Y'all gotta take Felton too. And yes, well take a bag of chips for him, or pork rinds, whatever you nasty bastards eat in Hou.

But I do hope this rumor is true, the way psd talks about melo since coming to ny, he's pretty much underrated at this point. I'd like to see him in Hou, and I'm ready to see the Knicks rebuild properly.

I really like shump and hardaway, would like to see a team be built with them included in the core. Were not going to win a ring with melo, we just don't have the ability to add new pieces right now. Hou/melo makes sense for everyone involved.

Hawkeye15
03-17-2014, 06:19 PM
Y'all gotta take Felton too. And yes, well take a bag of chips for him, or pork rinds, whatever you nasty bastards eat in Hou.

But I do hope this rumor is true, the way psd talks about melo since coming to ny, he's pretty much underrated at this point. I'd like to see him in Hou, and I'm ready to see the Knicks rebuild properly.

I really like shump and hardaway, would like to see a team be built with them included in the core. Were not going to win a ring with melo, we just don't have the ability to add new pieces right now. Hou/melo makes sense for everyone involved.

haha, you have now insulted both of my homes in the last 3 days.

We will give you some enchiladas for him dude, no worries.

jimm120
03-17-2014, 06:20 PM
Somebody in a knicks blog posted and put it into perspective for me:

Houston would have:
-The top SG in the game
-The top C in the game (even if he's not the best offensive, he's still damn good)
-A top 10 player (Harden is too, but so is Melo) and #3 SF.

That is stacked. 2 players who are the top of the chain in their positions and another who would probably be the top player for SF's also if there weren't two complete freaks ahead of him in Durant and Lebron.

AddiX
03-17-2014, 06:25 PM
haha, you have now insulted both of my homes in the last 3 days.

We will give you some enchiladas for him dude, no worries.

I love Mexican food, throw some guacamole in we can send JR too.

Hawkeye15
03-17-2014, 06:27 PM

you got it man

smith&wesson
03-17-2014, 07:02 PM

maybe you didnt watch okc. but harden came off the bench in okc and when he was on the floor he was the play maker and the ball was infact in his hands.

smith&wesson
03-17-2014, 07:03 PM

your reffering to tex-mex thats not even real mexican food lol...in texas you get tex-mex. still very delicious though :p

Hawkeye15
03-17-2014, 07:08 PM
your reffering to tex-mex thats not even real mexican food lol...in texas you get tex-mex. still very delicious though :p

you can find real mexican food here, but yeah, most is tex-mex. Or just date a latina whose parents are from mexico, like I am haha. You get real mexican food everytime you go to their house.

smith&wesson
03-17-2014, 07:08 PM

Harden - Melo - Howard
vs

As is;

CP3 - Griffin - Jordan
Harden - Melo - Dwight

pretty much how i feel about it.

smith&wesson
03-17-2014, 07:09 PM
you can find real mexican food here, but yeah, most is tex-mex. Or just date a latina whose parents are from mexico, like I am haha. You get real mexican food everytime you go to their house.

I am too :cheers: she's the best! she's doing her best to make me chubby.

ManRam
03-17-2014, 07:16 PM
late to the party, haven't sifted through any of this...but...

i. don't. hate. the. idea :hide:

stick him at the 4 and i think it actually could work well :shrug:

it's not like terrence jones is a great defender, or even a good one. the drop off defensibly shouldn't be much at all. hell, melo might be the better defender. and if he's playing the 3 (doubt morey would do that), there's still not a drop off compared to parsons' (tho, more signficant than the jones-to-melo drop off)

if melo has his head on straight he'd be a great compliment to dwight. get melo to focus a little bit more on his post play and harden to do a little more facilitating/play-making and i think it's a fine trio.

definitely seems like fantasy-world talk, however. but if melo says "i want houston", new york certainly can get something out of houston, and something is better than nothing.

abe_froman
03-17-2014, 07:18 PM
definitely seems like fantasy-world talk,
in the modern nba? not really

AddiX
03-17-2014, 08:00 PM

Guac isn't real Mexican?

I miss living in nyc, 3 am at the bar, mexican lady shows up out of no where selling home made empenadas for a buck. And than a chinese lady would walk in with a suitcase and with the foulest mouth you ever heard ask if you need cigerrates or porn. "1 pack marboro, ok, what kin pown you like, i got evything, you look like you nasty, 2 for 5 dolla." Damn I love that city

Hawkeye15
03-17-2014, 09:16 PM
Guac isn't real Mexican?

I miss living in nyc, 3 am at the bar, mexican lady shows up out of no where selling home made empenadas for a buck. And than a chinese lady would walk in with a suitcase and with the foulest mouth you ever heard ask if you need cigerrates or porn. "1 pack marboro, ok, what kin pown you like, i got evything, you look like you nasty, 2 for 5 dolla." Damn I love that city

my gf's mom makes insane empenadas. They are so ****ing good.

Yeah, NY is interesting. Been there 15-20 times, and it's always a blast. Just too expensive to live.

jimm120
03-17-2014, 09:39 PM

Yeah, NY is interesting. Been there 15-20 times, and it's always a blast. Just too expensive to live.

what's wrong with living in a shoebox...err, I mean an old *** shoebox and paying $2000 on rent?!?!

Love NY. But man, its damn expensive for real. Crappy, small homes going for $1 million bucks.

PraiseJesus
03-17-2014, 10:24 PM
Melo is staying with the Knicks because LeBron is going there

KniCks4LiFe
03-17-2014, 10:31 PM
Melo is staying with the Knicks because LeBron is going there

does Riley know this?

KniCks4LiFe
03-17-2014, 10:38 PM
actually the better question is does our NBA cap know this. B/c LeBron ain't taking a pay cut again.

AddiX
03-18-2014, 08:28 AM

what's wrong with living in a shoebox...err, I mean an old *** shoebox and paying $2000 on rent?!?!

Love NY. But man, its damn expensive for real. Crappy, small homes going for $1 million bucks.

I worked in real estate for about a year, and when out of towners would call me I always had to make sure I destroyed there expectations before showing them anything, because I know in the back of there minds, they think there special and they will find a great deal.

Nope, no such deals exist.

cssdmark
03-18-2014, 09:03 AM
This is all moot, now that Phil is in New York Melo will.be staying. That Houston team would have been really, really good.

torocan
03-18-2014, 09:28 AM
I highly, highly doubt that Lebron is going to NY. He has a really good thing going in Miami right now. That said, it's not a ZERO percent chance anymore, unlike 3 weeks ago.

At a minimum, Lebron will answer the phone when Phil calls. That's what Phil does... he automatically becomes a person you KNOW will get the respect of a call back and discussion, if only to hear what he has in mind. Whether that's enough to make Lebron walk from the Heat? It would take one heck of a sales pitch AND Lebron would have to be dissatisfied on some level.

As for Melo, I think Phil will try to retain him, even if he's on the fence. He'll give it a spin, then keep Melo in his back pocket as a trade chip for assets if he doesn't think it's going to work out.

Melo however will *try* to work with Phil and when he says he's willing to adjust his game, I believe him. Phil Jackson has the kind of resume that if he says, "You're good, but you're not all the way there", a player is inclined to believe him.

Players respect winners and rings. And Phil has more than anyone. I suspect that even if Phil gave Melo a boneheaded suggestion that Melo thought was 99% wrong, I STILL think Melo would probably do it, just because he's Phil Jackson.

Would ANY player want to be the guy that wouldn't listen to Phil Jackson? No matter how insane the suggestion, if Melo refused, Melo would get the blame and be labeled as not coachable. Would Melo really want to be the guy that Phil singles out in his next book?

Imagine the following excerpt...

"6 months after taking on the Knicks, I found myself in the unenviable position of having to choose Melo or the team. I tried to give him advice and suggestions, but Melo wouldn't listen. In the end, I had no choice but to move him, for the good of the franchise..."

Or even worse, to be the guy that Phil didn't want?

"Melo was a very good player, but he didn't have the make up of a champion...."

Melo's definitely in a tough spot. I think he almost *has* to try to stay on the Knicks. If he walks he potentially looks bad. And if Phil doesn't want him he looks very bad. His only way out is if he leaves AND ends up on a perennial contender. And that only works IF Phil doesn't win a ring without him.

From a PR standpoint, Melo is now in a very tough spot.

MonroeFAN
03-19-2014, 11:06 AM
Comparing Harden and A.I. as the same is ridiculous to me, Hardens a better 3 point shooter, and willing passer.. not to mention he's 6'5 and not 6'0.. Melo has played with both Harden and Howard on the Olympic team, people who think they can't play together must be trolling.. it's not like Basketball is Rocket science

That's funny since AI has a better career assist count, and he's one of the most prolific scorers of all time. Harden is a great player, this is more about Melo than Harden.

I see Harden's value to HOU as a volume scorer. Adding Melo (another volume scorer) would put one of them back into a role similar to Harden's in OKC. The only problem is, Carmelo isn't Durant, and neither is Harden. I haven't even mentioned Dwight yet. How long do you think would remain happy for, with 6 FGA per game?

None of your star players would be nearly as appealing. It's just my opinion, but it seems pretty obvious.

mjm07
03-19-2014, 11:17 AM
Guac isn't real Mexican?

:laugh::laugh: +1

Jazzgear
03-19-2014, 12:00 PM

The only way those albatross contracts of Lin and Asik are coming to the Knicks -- is with Jones, Chandler and a boatload of 1st round picks.

slashsnake
03-19-2014, 01:39 PM
The only way those albatross contracts of Lin and Asik are coming to the Knicks -- is with Jones, Chandler and a boatload of 1st round picks.

Honestly I think they would consider that. Both take 10-15 shots a game, and I think Houston would be looking more for guys who are specialists (see 3pt spot up guys) that don't need much else offensively. 1st round picks... I could see Houston parting with those. They would most likely be bottom 10 picks. And Houston could get FA's on the cheap that fit roles rather than develop young guys for the future.

But I think NY would rather let Melo walk than take on a bunch of contracts for non-stars. Their best return for losing Melo is cap space.