PDA

View Full Version : franchize tag in the nba?

Trueblue2
03-13-2014, 02:40 AM
What if there was one, any max contract or 18 million dollar deal, whichever is least, offered to a leaving free agent can be tagged. Meaning that if he went elsewhere the team would give up its next two available firsts to sign the player.

Say this can only be used once over a playrs tenure with the team, he has the optoin of taking a 1 year deal and giving his team a chance to get value out of him through trade.

It would also make s&ts more interesting an common.

Thoughts?

Jtirado16
03-13-2014, 02:41 AM
I personally would hate it.. I hate it in the NFL and I think id hate it even more in the NBA

slashsnake
03-13-2014, 02:51 AM
I don't like it in the NFL either. In the NBA it would be even worse, and a player who wanted to find a good front office would get stuck heading to a team that gave up two big assets in their 1st round picks for a couple years. Sure, LA could still have gotten Shaq, they would have just given up Kobe to get him. No thanks...

I think the best use of the franchise tag in the NFL is as a threat. "Take this long term deal for less than you think you would get on the open market, or we will franchise you." The player knows if they get hurt under that tag, or have a bad season, that windfall they earned on a crap rookie contract is all gone.

And its effect would be so much more. In the NFL you have 53 players and probably 15-20 free agents to deal with. In the NBA you have 13-15 players and maybe 5 free agents.

I guess I believe that if the other 90% of the guys can move around as a free agent, the guys who did the best should be afforded that same right.

Dade County
03-13-2014, 03:00 AM
What if there was one, any max contract or 18 million dollar deal, whichever is least, offered to a leaving free agent can be tagged. Meaning that if he went elsewhere the team would give up its next two available firsts to sign the player.

Say this can only be used once over a playrs tenure with the team, he has the optoin of taking a 1 year deal and giving his team a chance to get value out of him through trade.

It would also make s&ts more interesting an common.

Thoughts?

What about the entire time that player was under contract, why couldn't the team trade him before his contract was UP?!?

And why are you handcuffing the player, because the team held on to the player for to long?!?

No, if the player doesn't want to be there anymore he should have the right to F'in leave.

abe_froman
03-13-2014, 03:07 AM
thats way to steep a price to give up ,nobody would give up the contract your offering a free agent+2 years of 1sts for a guy....and its just unfair to do the guy

...also s+t's are common

Supreme LA
03-13-2014, 03:13 AM
I wouldn't mind it. Although it would bother me if any team tagged Dwight. That guy is definitely no franchise player.

TO Rapz
03-13-2014, 03:34 AM
I'd love it. It would help some of the lesser teams keep around players that want to walk their way out. I love it in the NFL.

Sadds The Gr8
03-13-2014, 03:45 AM
Hate it in the Nfl, would hate it in the nba

abe_froman
03-13-2014, 03:50 AM
I'd love it. It would help some of the lesser teams keep around players that want to walk their way out. I love it in the NFL.
is that really a good idea though to keep around someone who doesnt want to be there? it can become a negative with the distraction,ect. that it may cause.i mean how many players have we seen give up on their teams when they wanted out,or it become a locker room issue,ect?

king4day
03-13-2014, 09:30 AM
Players would never agree to it in the CBA.
Not an awful idea but there'd have to be serious restrictions though. Maybe just one year at up to like 25% more than the max a player can make.

ManRam
03-13-2014, 09:46 AM
Nah. I'm all for allowing teams to have a little more control/power...but a franchise tag isn't necessary, nor will it ever happen.

We have restricted free agency already which is good enough. Teams that draft a player basically a guaranteed 6-7 years of that player's time, unless they really go crazy and weasel their way out. That's long enough. If you can't persuade a player to stay over that window of time, so be it (that comment hurts as a fan of a small market team that just saw that happen...but still...)

JasonJohnHorn
03-13-2014, 09:50 AM
I think a franchise tag, coupled with the Wheel would work wonders for this league.

It would give everybody a chance to draft high ever few years, and keep the really talented players in their city. Role players might go ring chasing, but ring chasers don't care if they are playing in LAL, CHI, MIA or SA: they only care about the ring.

A franchise tag would prevent big markets from raiding the draft picks of teams like MIL, MIN and TOR, while the Wheel would prevent teams from tanking.

xxplayerxx23
03-13-2014, 09:55 AM
I wouldn't mind it. Although it would bother me if any team tagged Dwight. That guy is definitely no franchise player.

Bitter

2-ONE-5
03-13-2014, 09:58 AM
ive been saying this! the tag would be a great idea rather than foricng players to stay when their team matches a deal. obviously cant have teams giving up multiple first but there is plenty to work with to tweak it and do it right. a player woulld have no problem getting a big payday for 1 more year w a team they dont want to be with and knowing they will be an FA will motivate them to perform

ManRam
03-13-2014, 10:07 AM
I think a franchise tag, coupled with the Wheel would work wonders for this league.

It would give everybody a chance to draft high ever few years, and keep the really talented players in their city. Role players might go ring chasing, but ring chasers don't care if they are playing in LAL, CHI, MIA or SA: they only care about the ring.

A franchise tag would prevent big markets from raiding the draft picks of teams like MIL, MIN and TOR, while the Wheel would prevent teams from tanking.

You really think the wheel helps with parity...that continues to baffle me.

Trueblue2
03-13-2014, 12:03 PM
2 1sts is a steeper price in the NFL and tagged players still leave. Basically whem you sign a tagged player youre expecting your next two picks to be at the bottom of the draft. Eg. Jimmy graham.

TorontoHuskies
03-13-2014, 12:44 PM

Toronto is middle of the pack in terms of market don't throw us in with the Bucks and Twolves who are bottom 5 markets.

2-ONE-5
03-13-2014, 02:49 PM
but no one wants to play there so yea they are viewed as bottom regardless of if they are or not