PDA

View Full Version : Tony Parker is the most underappreciated player in the NBA

beyourself
03-12-2014, 09:56 PM
Nobody really gives this guy much credit. Yes, I realize the Spurs=Duncan. I agree with that.

But he doesn't try and be "the star". He has no ego and he sacrifices his own stats for the team because he is the damn point guard. He doesn't play like Jordan or try to be Jordan because he's not Jordan. Jordan plays shooting guard. Who would have thought?

Others may have a better skillset and stats, but if I want to win in the NBA I need a PG. Give me Parker. I don't want Paul. Definitely not Rose, Irving, Curry or Westbrook.

Avenged
03-12-2014, 10:16 PM
So out of all the PG's in the league, the only one you would take is Parker.... Hmm..

John Walls Era
03-12-2014, 10:16 PM
dont be yourself and shut up

beyourself
03-12-2014, 10:20 PM
So out of all the PG's in the league, the only one you would take is Parker.... Hmm..

If given the option to choose any of them? Yes.

kylem4711
03-12-2014, 10:26 PM
great troll thread.

beyourself
03-12-2014, 10:30 PM
great troll thread.

Yea. Saying you take this floor general over anybody else is trolling. That's the disrespect I'm talking about. Man gets no appreciation.

flea
03-12-2014, 10:33 PM
Probably because he's French.

kdspurman
03-12-2014, 10:39 PM
I feel like one of these pops up every year. He's benefited greatly from Pop and the Spurs coaching staff. (when he first came in the league that mid range shot was non-existent) Now he's one of the smartest PG's in the game, great floor general, and does so many good things. Even without the ball, he's constantly moving making the defense work. He makes whoever is guarding him, work for it.

NBA_Starter
03-12-2014, 10:39 PM
I appreciate him.

ewing
03-12-2014, 10:41 PM
great troll thread.

your sig is amazing

I feel like one of these pops up every year. He's benefited greatly from Pop and the Spurs coaching staff. (when he first came in the league that mid range shot was non-existent) Now he's one of the smartest PG's in the game, great floor general, and does so many good things. Even without the ball, he's constantly moving making the defense work. He makes whoever is guarding him, work for it.

you are making Tony sound like a passive PG. He is not. you guys win and NBA title last year if it wasn't for his hammy. Tony puts dudes on skates. He is play maker

beyourself
03-12-2014, 10:47 PM
you are making Tony sound like a passive PG. He is not. you guys win and NBA title last year if it wasn't for his hammy. Tony puts dudes on skates. He is play maker

Yea, but he doesn't take it too far. He's not out there straight hogging like Rose, Westbrook, Curry and Irving.

kdspurman
03-12-2014, 11:02 PM

I didn't mean it to come off like that, but I mean even without the ball he's moving a ton. So if he's not the ball handler during a play (Manu might be) he's still making his man work defensively. Little things like that...

He's the engine of this team no doubt. When he's in attack mode, and gets the defense to collapse, it opens up the court for all the shooters/slashers. The hammy injury definitely slowed him down, he just didn't have that burst after that.

IndiansFan337
03-12-2014, 11:14 PM
I agree he's massively underrated. Former players do rate him highly. Guys like Bruce Bowen and Jalen Rose rave about Parker, but the media and fans underrate him.

jaydubb
03-13-2014, 12:14 AM
dont be yourself and shut up

:laugh2:

To be fair, I've always thought parker was one of the most underated players in the NBA, but to say he's better then other point guards and he's who you want to build around,ehhh.. San Antonio is like the ULTIMATE teammate oriented team in the NBA, very unselfish, so tbh I don't think he'd be as good elsewhere He does have the most chips of all point guards that played as the teams best or second best player, but if I'd have an elite pg on my team, its mister CP3 wit kyrie as a 1B based on potential of what he can be years from now (dude has crazy upside)

beyourself
03-13-2014, 12:20 AM

To be fair, I've always thought parker was one of the most underated players in the NBA, but to say he's better then other point guards and he's who you want to build around,ehhh.. San Antonio is like the ULTIMATE teammate oriented team in the NBA, very unselfish, so tbh I don't think he'd be as good elsewhere He does have the most chips of all point guards that played as the teams best or second best player, but if I'd have an elite pg on my team, its mister CP3 wit kyrie as a 1B based on potential of what he can be years from now (dude has crazy upside)

Yea, but I want my PG to be on a team orientated system. PG's don't win rings as the star of the team. Dynasties aren't built around PGs.

poleandreel
03-13-2014, 12:36 AM
This guy is one of the worst posters on this site. Curry >>>>> parker. Parker plays in the BEST offensive system, for the BEST coach...so of course he will look better. Paid Westbrook with Popvich and you probably have the best PG in the league.

Parker is not better than CP3, Curry, or Westbrook.

Jeffy25
03-13-2014, 01:01 AM
Can we make it so that PSD can't make threads without links or something?

Hey, 'here's my unsupported opinion, think like me!'

Also, Longoria

SPURSFAN1
03-13-2014, 01:15 AM
This guy is one of the worst posters on this site. Curry >>>>> parker. Parker plays in the BEST offensive system, for the BEST coach...so of course he will look better. Paid Westbrook with Popvich and you probably have the best PG in the league.

Are you serious? Guy is better than all those guys and has a higher iq than all them combined. Parker has more rings than all those guys combined. He has more finals mvps than all those guys combined. He has more playoff experience than all those guys combined. He scores in the paint better than all those guys. He has a better jumpshot than all those guys. He might lack in athleticism and 3points made but he is the best winner of all those guys combined. I guess the "system" and playing under pop makes him underappreciated. No one says that about duncan or manu. If having the best record meant winning mvp, he would probably get it this year. He is way better than curry. I can't believe you just said that.

Jeffy25
03-13-2014, 01:17 AM
Are you serious? Guy is better than all those guys and has a higher iq than all them combined.

Well nothing says that statistically....and you are a Spurs fan.....so.....I dunno, maybe not?

Parker has more rings than all those guys combined. He has more finals mvps than all those guys combined. He has more playoff experience than all those guys combined. He scores in the paint better than all those guys. He has a better jumpshot than all those guys. He might lack in athleticism and 3points made but he is the best winner of all those guys combined. I guess the "system" and playing under pop makes him underappreciated. No one says that about duncan or manu. If having the best record meant winning mvp, he would probably get it this year. He is way better than curry. I can't believe you just said that.

The rest of this, is system based.

You don't have to be the best individual player to be the best player of a particular system. Do you want to talk about individual success, or team success?

SPURSFAN1
03-13-2014, 01:20 AM
Well nothing says that statistically....and you are a Spurs fan.....so.....I dunno, maybe not?

I think 3 rings and a finals mvp are pretty good stats with like .700 winning record or something are pretty good stats.

Jeffy25
03-13-2014, 01:20 AM
I think 3 rings and a finals mvp are pretty good stats with like .700 winning record or something are pretty good stats.

As I said in the rest of the post (not your fault, I edited late)

Parker has more rings than all those guys combined. He has more finals mvps than all those guys combined. He has more playoff experience than all those guys combined. He scores in the paint better than all those guys. He has a better jumpshot than all those guys. He might lack in athleticism and 3points made but he is the best winner of all those guys combined. I guess the "system" and playing under pop makes him underappreciated. No one says that about duncan or manu. If having the best record meant winning mvp, he would probably get it this year. He is way better than curry. I can't believe you just said that.

The rest of this, is system based.

You don't have to be the best individual player to be the best player of a particular system. Do you want to talk about individual success, or team success?

Hawkeye15
03-13-2014, 01:22 AM
He is underrated by those who don't follow basketball at a ridiculous level. I mean, he has a Finals MVP, and has been a top 4 PG for years.

SPURSFAN1
03-13-2014, 01:23 AM
Sorry man. Put Parker in the warriors and now you get veteran leadership. Easily top 3 in the west.

flea
03-13-2014, 01:28 AM
I don't know. He's a fine player, and probably the best attacking guard in the league for a few years now. My problem is that he's never been a 2-way player and plays the weakest defensive position. That tends to overrate him in the class of fans that treat PPG as an important stat. But as for efficiency and breaking down a defense? There is hardly anyone better in the game. His lack of outside shot and playmaking ability have always masked his strengths.

Jeffy25
03-13-2014, 01:29 AM
Sorry man. Put Parker in the warriors and now you get veteran leadership. Easily top 3 in the west.

wut?

SPURSFAN1
03-13-2014, 01:32 AM
wut?

Put parker in the warriors team and he scores 30 over CP and wins todays game. Pop conserves his energy for the playoffs. 50 plus wins and playoffs are a given in San Antonio.

Jeffy25
03-13-2014, 01:37 AM
Put parker in the warriors team and he scores 30 over CP and wins todays game. Pop conserves his energy for the playoffs. 50 plus wins and playoffs are a given in San Antonio.

I have no idea what you are talking about.

Are you saying that Parker would be better if he was on the Warriors and that Curry would be worse on the Spurs or something?

If that is what you are saying, I don't agree with you for a second. And you have no way of proving it, and Curry has better rate stats, so it's probably not true.

And lastly, why would that be your position? That's silly.

SPURSFAN1
03-13-2014, 01:40 AM
I have no idea what you are talking about.

Are you saying that Parker would be better if he was on the Warriors and that Curry would be worse on the Spurs or something?

If that is what you are saying, I don't agree with you for a second. And you have no way of proving it, and Curry has better rate stats, so it's probably not true.

And lastly, why would that be your position? That's silly.

You really can't prove Parker would be worse if he left the spurs. I can't argue with trolls.

Jeffy25
03-13-2014, 01:42 AM
You really can't prove Parker would be worse if he left the spurs. I can't argue with trolls.

It was your argument!

Haha, you said Parker would be better if he was on the Warriors, then call me the troll for disagreeing with you.

Think about what has been said for just a moment, why don't you?

SPURSFAN1
03-13-2014, 01:43 AM
It was your argument!

Haha, you said Parker would be better if he was on the Warriors, then call me the troll for disagreeing with you.

I said he would make the Warriors a better team. Dude stop. Warriors are a 2nd round exit at best.

Jeffy25
03-13-2014, 01:51 AM
I said he would make the Warriors a better team. Dude stop. Warriors are a 2nd round exit at best.

Are you keeping up with what you are saying, or what?

You seem to be going off on some discussion with yourself that isn't even happening with me.

You have been saying that Parker is great because of team accomplishments.

You have allowed that to dive into the Warriors being a second round exit for some reason.

Are we talking about Parker, or are we talking about the Warriors?

SPURSFAN1
03-13-2014, 01:55 AM
Are you keeping up with what you are saying, or what?

You seem to be going off on some discussion with yourself that isn't even happening with me.

You have been saying that Parker is great because of team accomplishments.

You have allowed that to dive into the Warriors being a second round exit for some reason.

Are we talking about Parker, or are we talking about the Warriors?

We're talking about both. We're comparing the both as you can see. Someone compared the two, and I replied. Can you even read?

Jeffy25
03-13-2014, 01:59 AM
We're talking about both. We're comparing the both as you can see. Someone compared the two, and I replied. Can you even read?

I'm not talking about both, the question isn't my literary skills, but rather your comprehension levels.

You said Parker was better than Curry, and you based that on such reasonings, as 2nd round exits for the Warriors and Parker having a .700 winning percentage, none of which answer any of the above questions.

Why exactly is Parker better than Curry?

Team accomplishments don't answer that question.

SPURSFAN1
03-13-2014, 02:08 AM
I'm not talking about both, the question isn't my literary skills, but rather your comprehension levels.

You said Parker was better than Curry, and you based that on such reasonings, as 2nd round exits for the Warriors and Parker having a .700 winning percentage, none of which answer any of the above questions.

The spurs are probably the only team in the nba that have low stat players. Gear one is only needed until the playoffs. Winning is the only stat I care about. Tony sits more fourth quarters than many other starters in the league. He probably doesn't have the best stats but he does everything to win.

Stats doesn't say that playing 21 playoff games, as the games get harder, you're stats suffer. last years playoffs
curry 12 games .161WS/48
parker 21 games .151WS/48

I'm inclined to believe Parker had the more impressive winsharesper48.

Jeffy25
03-13-2014, 02:27 AM
The spurs are probably the only team in the nba that have low stat players. Gear one is only needed until the playoffs. Winning is the only stat I care about. Tony sits more fourth quarters than many other starters in the league. He probably doesn't have the best stats but he does everything to win.

Stats doesn't say that playing 21 playoff games, as the games get harder, you're stats suffer. last years playoffs
curry 12 games .161WS/48
parker 21 games .151WS/48

I'm inclined to believe Parker had the more impressive winsharesper48.

You realize how ridiculous those sample sizes are, right?

WS/48
Curry - .147 (hasn't reached his peak yet)
Parker - .151 (just now finishing his peak)

Curry gonna pass him fast (.213 - this season - is higher than anything Parker has ever done).

SPURSFAN1
03-13-2014, 02:36 AM
You realize how ridiculous those sample sizes are, right?

WS/48
Curry - .147 (hasn't reached his peak yet)
Parker - .151 (just now finishing his peak)

Curry gonna pass him fast (.213 - this season - is higher than anything Parker has ever done).

Hopefully he can lead his team in the playoffs.

Look at 2009 tony parker stats 28ppg vs dallas in 5 games. No manu. We lost though. He can pull his weight if he needs too. We don't need him to do that during the regular season.

Jeffy25
03-13-2014, 02:38 AM
Hopefully he can lead his team in the playoffs.

Look at 2009 tony parker stats 28ppg vs dallas in 5 games. No manu. We lost though. He can pull his weight if he needs too. We don't need him to do that during the regular season.

So Parker's team is better than Curry's second round out team?

Because that's all you have said thus far when comparing the two.

SPURSFAN1
03-13-2014, 02:47 AM
So Parker's team is better than Curry's second round out team?

Because that's all you have said thus far when comparing the two.

You keep asking questions like you're just grasping at straws. It's ok. Parker>>>>>>>>>curry

kylem4711
03-13-2014, 02:53 AM
your sig is amazing

Woooh

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk

Jeffy25
03-13-2014, 02:54 AM
You keep asking questions like you're just grasping at straws. It's ok. Parker>>>>>>>>>curry

And the same question that I asked originally was......

HOW?

How is
Parker>>>>>>>>>curry

mrblisterdundee
03-13-2014, 02:59 AM
I think that award is currently going to Goran Dragic, who's led a team of role players into playoff contention without Tim Duncan.

ewing
03-13-2014, 05:22 AM
Can we make it so that PSD can't make threads without links or something?

Hey, 'here's my unsupported opinion, think like me!'

Also, Longoria

Ha, i don't think you should be allowed to use them.

ewing
03-13-2014, 07:42 AM

maybe we should give the point guard some credit for that. That offensive never seems to ask guys to do more then they can and seems to always play up guys strengths. Yes Duncan is a leader and Pop is a great coach but you have to give a lot of the credit to the guy handling the rock

ewing
03-13-2014, 07:46 AM
I don't know. He's a fine player, and probably the best attacking guard in the league for a few years now. My problem is that he's never been a 2-way player and plays the weakest defensive position. That tends to overrate him in the class of fans that treat PPG as an important stat. But as for efficiency and breaking down a defense? There is hardly anyone better in the game. His lack of outside shot and playmaking ability have always masked his strengths.

Are you saying Tony lacks play making ability?

ewing
03-13-2014, 07:56 AM
It was your argument!

I think tony would put up bigger numbers on the warriors. The warriors play just as fast if not faster, shoot the **** out of the ball from deep, have better finishers, and no one clogging the lane much of the time. They also don't have as good of secondary play makers. With the Spurs you can play through Manu or Timmy and get good ball distribution. On the Warriors Tony would have more lanes, get to take greater advantage of his speed, and he would have the ball more. That said, i don't know if i agree with the idea that the warriors would be better off as a team. Sorry i don't have a link

beyourself
03-13-2014, 09:18 AM
People say Tony isn't the best PG because of stats. Normally I would agree that stats play a large part in it, but I really tend to ignore PG stats.

Because at some point I don't want my PG to have the greatest stats. I like efficiency, not turning the ball over, sharing the ball, running the offense, getting others involved. I don't want a Curry, Irving or Westbrook. That's too much from that position. It stunts everybody else's game if the guy who dribbles the ball up the court doesn't allow others to touch the ball.

Why do you think think the Spurs have such great team basketball!!!!!! It's because Parker isn't straight hogging. Would it be possible if he dribbles constantly?

Like Magic Johnson said. The big man is the most important player on the court, get him the ball. Today I would agree with that, in addition a great offensive wing is valuable too.

Give me the team player at PG. I don't want a stunted team.

ewing
03-13-2014, 09:44 AM
People say Tony isn't the best PG because of stats. Normally I would agree that stats play a large part in it, but I really tend to ignore PG stats.

Because at some point I don't want my PG to have the greatest stats. I like efficiency, not turning the ball over, sharing the ball, running the offense, getting others involved. I don't want a Curry, Irving or Westbrook. That's too much from that position. It stunts everybody else's game if the guy who dribbles the ball up the court doesn't allow others to touch the ball.

Why do you think think the Spurs have such great team basketball!!!!!! It's because Parker isn't straight hogging. Would it be possible if he dribbles constantly?

Like Magic Johnson said. The big man is the most important player on the court, get him the ball. Today I would agree with that, in addition a great offensive wing is valuable too.

Give me the team player at PG. I don't want a stunted team.

Tony reminds me of the old school combo guard (like 80's old school). When guards really balanced scoring and distributing more. Today, it seems more like it is one or the other. I do think you are being a little unfair to Curry, who i think does look to move the ball as well as score. That said i think Tony age and experience has made him a better floor general then Curry.

Jarvo
03-13-2014, 09:45 AM

El oh el

beyourself
03-13-2014, 11:58 AM
Tony reminds me of the old school combo guard (like 80's old school). When guards really balanced scoring and distributing more. Today, it seems more like it is one or the other. I do think you are being a little unfair to Curry, who i think does look to move the ball as well as score. That said i think Tony age and experience has made him a better floor general then Curry.

Curry's difficult to say. He takes a lot shots, but he's a gifted shooter so I can understand that, but the ball rarely leaves his hands. And when it does it's often to a spot up shooter for a shot or a pass right back to Curry.

eugene
03-13-2014, 12:29 PM
Have anybody calculated how many games did he play in a row: '12/'13 season+playoffs+finals+european championship (gold)+pre-season+season again... alone earning a european championship gold medal for France, making miracles every given game.. show more respect for this guy, most consistent and proven PG for the last 12 years.. for all of you who say that Duncan is the reason for his success, watch France National Team's games. One of only few true floor generals left in the league.

Hawkeye15
03-13-2014, 01:22 PM

This comes up because he has a coach who limits his role throughout the season to save him, as he does with his other players. So every once in a while, we get a glimpse of what Parker could look like if he were on a team that was coached normal, ie, play your starters 75 times a year, 34+ mpg.

Parker is a top 5 PG, has been for a long time. I would still take Paul, and now Curry ahead of him. Possibly Westbrook depending on makeup.

It would be interesting to see how he looks away from that system, but any PG that can get to the rim and finish easily, and is that smart, will fit pretty much any offense.

Hawkeye15
03-13-2014, 01:24 PM

those aren't individual stats though. You give WAAAAAAAAAAAAAY too much credit to your individual players dude. Stacked rosters, and the best coach in the league over the past 15 years helps...

Hawkeye15
03-13-2014, 01:25 PM

And you can't prove your stance either. So?

ewing
03-13-2014, 01:25 PM
Curry's difficult to say. He takes a lot shots, but he's a gifted shooter so I can understand that, but the ball rarely leaves his hands. And when it does it's often to a spot up shooter for a shot or a pass right back to Curry.

i don't see many guys on GS that are going to make a play for someone else other then Curry. You can play through Lee a little but the SA has the luxury of being able to play through any of their big 3 plus Diaw (probably the best passing big in the league). I think if you put TP on GS the ball would be in Tony's hands more too.

Hawkeye15
03-13-2014, 01:28 PM

Parker is better at getting to the rim and finishing, but can't shoot like Curry at all. Both are around the same distribution wise, though Parker could probably average more assists on another roster. Defensively, I would give Parker a slight edge, but if I am a GM, right now, I am taking Curry going forward due to age. The difference in level of play is slight at this stage, if there is any.

Hawkeye15
03-13-2014, 01:29 PM
i don't see many guys on GS that are going to make a play for someone else other then Curry. You can play through Lee a little but the SA has the luxury of being able to play through any of their big 3 plus Diaw (probably the best passing big in the league). I think if you put TP on GS the ball would be in Tony's hands more too.

Exactly. Would the Warriors be better? I am not sure, they are designed around that great shooting backcourt. Would be interesting..

Hawkeye15
03-13-2014, 01:31 PM
I struggle with the idea that perhaps the Spurs system, and Popovich, has made his star players have the best possible careers they could have had. I really wish we could see Manu, TD, and Parker away from his system. Alas, that will never happen.

I watch my Wolves never develop any of the top 10 picks they get year after year, meanwhile Popovich could turn Helen Keller into an elite corner shooter. Sickens me..

ewing
03-13-2014, 01:33 PM
Parker is better at getting to the rim and finishing, but can't shoot like Curry at all. Both are around the same distribution wise, though Parker could probably average more assists on another roster. Defensively, I would give Parker a slight edge, but if I am a GM, right now, I am taking Curry going forward due to age. The difference in level of play is slight at this stage, if there is any.

I agree. I also think that Curry is damn special and has room to grow. Right now, i take Tony in two years I think Curry will be better then Tony ever was

kdspurman
03-13-2014, 01:36 PM
This comes up because he has a coach who limits his role throughout the season to save him, as he does with his other players. So every once in a while, we get a glimpse of what Parker could look like if he were on a team that was coached normal, ie, play your starters 75 times a year, 34+ mpg.

Parker is a top 5 PG, has been for a long time. I would still take Paul, and now Curry ahead of him. Possibly Westbrook depending on makeup.

It would be interesting to see how he looks away from that system, but any PG that can get to the rim and finish easily, and is that smart, will fit pretty much any offense.

Yea, and the same was discussed about Manu and what he could have been starting for a team and playing big minutes. It says something about their character to be OK with playing less and being about the team first.

I have little doubt TP could go somewhere and score 22-25ppg player for the reasons you said. Plus the fact that he's gotten so much better shooting the mid range shot and has quietly gotten good/better from the corner 3.

http://stats.nba.com/playerShotchart.html?PlayerID=2225

You have to be coachable and willing to want to get to an elite level. And Pop was so hard on him during his first few seasons, you've got to be mentally tough enough to take that kind of criticism as much as he did. On the flip side, I wonder how much different of a player Curry or a Westbrook would be playing for someone like Pop.

Hawkeye15
03-13-2014, 01:36 PM
I agree. I also think that Curry is damn special and has room to grow. Right now, i take Tony in two years I think Curry will be better then Tony ever was

yeah, to think Curry is still learning the PG position is scary. I mean, he was a SG his whole life until he had to convert. He could end up being a great player.

Hawkeye15
03-13-2014, 01:39 PM
Yea, and the same was discussed about Manu and what he could have been starting for a team and playing big minutes. It says something about their character to be OK with playing less and being about the team first.

I have little doubt TP could go somewhere and score 22-25ppg player for the reasons you said. Plus the fact that he's gotten so much better shooting the mid range shot and has quietly gotten good/better from the corner 3.

http://stats.nba.com/playerShotchart.html?PlayerID=2225

You have to be coachable and willing to want to get to an elite level. And Pop was so hard on him during his first few seasons, you've got to be mentally tough enough to take that kind of criticism as much as he did. On the flip side, I wonder how much different of a player Curry or a Westbrook would be playing for someone like Pop.

dude, when Parker came into the league, he couldn't shoot worth a ****. He led the NBA in points in the paint 2 years in a row. Tony freakin Parker. But, his jumper started getting better, then respectable, now good.

Pops is very hard on his players. Which is why I think the Euro players thrive under him. They are much more about team mentality than our overprivelaged babies in the US, who grow up in the AAU system, where its all about individuals.

Would be interesting to see a swap, but it will never happen anyways. Perhaps when Manu/TD retire, and they have cap space. We might see a known player go there.

Jeffy25
03-13-2014, 01:40 PM

I 100% agree.

Hawkeye15
03-13-2014, 01:40 PM
Manu playing 36 mpg with major usage would possibly have never worked with his style. He would be hurt half the year haha

kdspurman
03-13-2014, 01:45 PM
dude, when Parker came into the league, he couldn't shoot worth a ****. He led the NBA in points in the paint 2 years in a row. Tony freakin Parker. But, his jumper started getting better, then respectable, now good.

Pops is very hard on his players. Which is why I think the Euro players thrive under him. They are much more about team mentality than our overprivelaged babies in the US, who grow up in the AAU system, where its all about individuals.

Would be interesting to see a swap, but it will never happen anyways. Perhaps when Manu/TD retire, and they have cap space. We might see a known player go there.

Agreed 100%.

WARRIORS@GR
03-13-2014, 02:01 PM
Are you serious? Guy is better than all those guys and has a higher iq than all them combined. Parker has more rings than all those guys combined. He has more finals mvps than all those guys combined. He has more playoff experience than all those guys combined. He scores in the paint better than all those guys. He has a better jumpshot than all those guys. He might lack in athleticism and 3points made but he is the best winner of all those guys combined. I guess the "system" and playing under pop makes him underappreciated. No one says that about duncan or manu. If having the best record meant winning mvp, he would probably get it this year. He is way better than curry. I can't believe you just said that.:laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::la ugh:

beyourself
03-14-2014, 02:33 PM
Because he sacrifices his own stats for the sake of operating a more effective (better team) he doesn't get the appreciation he should.

Just reflects the way we think about players here in America.

KnicksorBust
03-14-2014, 02:58 PM
I completely disagree for a couple of reasons:

#1.) His stats don't stack up with the rest of the star players in the league.

Raw Stats:
PPG - Never been in the top 10
APG - Top 10 in 2012 and 2013 (never averaged over 8apg)
SPG - Never been in the top 10

Advanced Stats:
TS% - Never been in the top 10
PER - Top 10 in 2009 (8th) and 2013 (9th)
AST% - Top 10 in 08, 09, 12, 13 (highest ever was 4th)
ORTG & DRTG - Never been in the top 10
Win Shares/48 - Top 10 in 2013 (5th)

#2.) The years that he was an elite player he got full credit for them.

In 2011-2012 and 2012-2013, Tony Parker was a top 10 player. The league and fans rewarded him with All-NBA 2nd team and putting him in the MVP talks.

#3.) Who are the people that are under-appreciating him?

Not fans. Not announcers. Not former players. Not his teammates or coaches. He's been a clear consensus top 5 PG for a few years now. Just because you think he's the best PG (your opinion) and most people have him #3 doesn't make him under-appreciated. Under-appreciated players don't make $13 million dollars while making All-NBA 2nd team and dating super models.

Talk about a Goran Dragic, Kyle Lowry, Wesley Matthews, Chandler Parsons, Taj Gibson, etc. Players that don't get the accolodades or $$$ that Parker does and still are huge components of their team's success.