PDA

View Full Version : O.S.Q.O.T.D.: What Orlando's ceiling have been had they not traded Webber?

JasonJohnHorn
03-12-2014, 07:12 PM
Shaq and Webber could have been teammates and could have been the best power forward/center combo the game had ever seen. With Dennis Scott, Nick Anderson, Horace Grant and Scott Skiles, it seems the would have had he right pieces to win.

Would this team have been able to win multiple championships?

On a side note, the Magic got Penny + 4 first rounders in the trade, but one of the picks got shipped around from team to team and eventually went back to GSW, who used it to draft Vince Carter before again trading it to Toronto.

Hawkeye15
03-12-2014, 07:19 PM
In hindsight they should have kept Webber. But a healthy Penny would have made that team easily good enough to win it all, had he and Shaq stayed together in Orlando and Penny didn't suffer his injuries.

abe_froman
03-12-2014, 07:23 PM
doubt it, liked the dynamic between penny and shaq anyways(was probably the better player that web pre-injuries).the big saving that would have come for orl was that they would have had a ready replacement for shaq as he would have still bolted for l.a. in '96(also they wouldnt have gone after grant if they had webber)

Chronz
03-12-2014, 07:31 PM
Didn't know that the Magic could have had Vince Carter with one of those picks. This is why teams should horde picks and only trade them if you know for sure they will fetch a late pick or that the player your trading for is proven.

Tony_Starks
03-12-2014, 07:47 PM
Webber wouldn't have been around that long. Neither player could've reached full potential playing with each other. Shaq demands the entire paint with a stretch 4 for spacing, and C Webb is a point forward you can run a offense through plus likes to post.

Not a good fit.

KnicksorBust
03-12-2014, 08:43 PM
Allow me to be the first to say I would have LOVED the fit. A true high-post PF who could shoot, pass, and dribble with one of the most dominant low-post players of all-time? Tell me how this is a bad thing again? Surrounded by shooters like Nick Anderson, 3D Dennis Scott, and Scott Skiles?

slashsnake
03-12-2014, 09:38 PM
I doubt it. I think you would have had quite the blowup with two of the best bigs arguing over who was the alpha dog pretty quickly with that lineup. Penny had a pretty amazing finals the year they got swept against the rockets. and was a great point guard at the time who created a lot of plays and mismatches for teams.

And remember. Webber was hurt a lot in his first few years. Penny was a lot more productive than Webber while Shaq was in Orlando. I doubt anyone could have kept Shaq there. He knew he would win, he wanted the market. Penny was the brightest up and coming playmaker, coming off back to back all star appearances going into his 4th year when Shaq left.

NBA_Starter
03-12-2014, 10:06 PM
Maybe the conference Finals.

Ebbs
03-12-2014, 10:08 PM
Penny and Shaq was fine. Health and ego is the only thing that stopped them from being a dynasty.

I think similar result if they keep webber

5ass
03-12-2014, 10:20 PM
If shaq had better demeanor he couldve been GOAT.

5ass
03-12-2014, 10:22 PM
Imagine shaqs prime body with duncans mind

DillyDill
03-12-2014, 10:34 PM
Imagine shaqs prime body with duncans mind

Better yet imagine his body with MJ killer mentality OMG

JasonJohnHorn
03-12-2014, 10:40 PM
Webber wouldn't have been around that long. Neither player could've reached full potential playing with each other. Shaq demands the entire paint with a stretch 4 for spacing, and C Webb is a point forward you can run a offense through plus likes to post.

Not a good fit.

I doubt it. I think you would have had quite the blowup with two of the best bigs arguing over who was the alpha dog pretty quickly with that lineup. Penny had a pretty amazing finals the year they got swept against the rockets. and was a great point guard at the time who created a lot of plays and mismatches for teams.

And remember. Webber was hurt a lot in his first few years. Penny was a lot more productive than Webber while Shaq was in Orlando. I doubt anyone could have kept Shaq there. He knew he would win, he wanted the market. Penny was the brightest up and coming playmaker, coming off back to back all star appearances going into his 4th year when Shaq left.

I think these are the two reasons they made the trade. In my mind, it seems clear that talent wise, a great coach would have made those two work. Shaq played with another big at LSU (Stanley Roberts, who was big enough that Shaq played power forward as a freshman), and other bigs, like Hakeem had Thorpe, while Ewing had Oakley and Charles Smith and DRob and Tim Duncan...

But I think both of you guys raise great points. Skill/talent, it COULD have worked VERY well in 2000, but in 94 I think they both wanted to be in the paint a lot. Charlotte was watching two great bigs (LJ and Mourning) butt heads with ego and I think Shaq hd a hand in Orlando moving that pick for Penny due to ego. There would have been issues. But if they could have put that aside, they might have been better than Duncan and Robinson.

JasonJohnHorn
03-12-2014, 10:41 PM
Better yet imagine his body with MJ killer mentality OMG

Jordan inside Shaq' body... yeah.... I don't care what NBA players you put around that guy... he gets a ring every year he's not injured in the playoffs.

Shaq was dominante, but with his gifts, he could have been so much more dominant if he had the mind of Jordan or Malone.

DillyDill
03-12-2014, 10:59 PM
Jordan inside Shaq' body... yeah.... I don't care what NBA players you put around that guy... he gets a ring every year he's not injured in the playoffs.

Shaq was dominante, but with his gifts, he could have been so much more dominant if he had the mind of Jordan or Malone.

Exactly man I'm glad you see this. Knowing how MJ improved his own game every year, I'm 1000% sure he would of cleaned up all of Shaq's flaws. Could you imagine a 70% or better Free Throw shooting Shaq OMG. Or better yet Shaq with a more all-round game like a JUMPER OMFG. One just wonders why Shaq didn't tapp into he's full potential

slashsnake
03-13-2014, 01:27 AM
well 7 footers wouldn't be NBA players if they were a foot shorter. Or very few would...

Shaq was insane earlier though. I was in Brazil watching his first finals as a kid against Olajuwon and he was going head to head in his 3rd year against the best center in the NBA in his prime and it was an epic battle there.

He went up against the greatest center around and probably the most skilled to play the game, and averaged 28 points 13 boards, 6 assists and 2.5 blocks in that series.

I hate remembering fat end of lakers, heat, suns, Cavs, celtics etc shaq. Remember that guy on the Magic. He'd outrun all star caliber shooting guards down the floor.... with the ball. Even Early Laker shaq just turning on super dominant mode in the finals. I don't know if it was the weight or his foot, or his knees, or his drive to be the most commercialized big man ever, or what caused that fall off from amazing to great, but he was at that super insane level for a while there.

JasonJohnHorn
03-13-2014, 03:33 PM
Exactly man I'm glad you see this. Knowing how MJ improved his own game every year, I'm 1000% sure he would of cleaned up all of Shaq's flaws. Could you imagine a 70% or better Free Throw shooting Shaq OMG. Or better yet Shaq with a more all-round game like a JUMPER OMFG. One just wonders why Shaq didn't tapp into he's full potential

And not just the skill level, but conditioning as well. Shaq would have been able to play until he was 45 with KMalone or Jordan's approach to conditioning.

The fee throws, I think in part, is a mental thing. It is about rhythm. Shaq said when he was practicing, he'd hit 80% of his free throws, but he just would usually miss the first couple.

But, I mean the drive Jordan and Malone and evne guys like Garnett had. Jordan would average 18 boards a game with Shaq's body.

DillyDill
03-13-2014, 08:04 PM
And not just the skill level, but conditioning as well. Shaq would have been able to play until he was 45 with KMalone or Jordan's approach to conditioning.

The fee throws, I think in part, is a mental thing. It is about rhythm. Shaq said when he was practicing, he'd hit 80% of his free throws, but he just would usually miss the first couple.

But, I mean the drive Jordan and Malone and evne guys like Garnett had. Jordan would average 18 boards a game with Shaq's body.

OMG yeeesss KG passion for the gm was insanely on another level...You got me drooling over here thinking bout it Lmaoo... How many points do you think an MJ-Shaq or Karl-Shaq or KG-Shaq would have averaged?And whats the ideal weight Shaq should of stay at?

mrblisterdundee
03-13-2014, 08:12 PM
If I'm Orlando back then, I take Penny Hardaway. There wasn't the same level of technology to check for medical conditions in the present and the future. I'm sure that will become a big debate in the NBA, having players tested even more for conditions they might develop in the future. Paul Allen will make the biggest push for it.

slashsnake
03-14-2014, 12:55 AM
OMG yeeesss KG passion for the gm was insanely on another level...You got me drooling over here thinking bout it Lmaoo... How many points do you think an MJ-Shaq or Karl-Shaq or KG-Shaq would have averaged?And whats the ideal weight Shaq should of stay at?

I never really watched Shaq's workouts vs. those of KG or Jordan so I couldn't really comment there. I think that 305-325 was the best weight for him, probably losing some as his career went to help with the knees and feet. I think he was pretty fired up in his prime, but when those leg injuries started piling up, so did the weight.