PDA

View Full Version : How about the Raptors?

FriedTofuz
03-11-2014, 07:25 PM
They're 29-14 since trading Rudy gay, and are an elite defensive team as of late. As weak as the eastern conference is, they still match up and beat good western conference opponents so I wouldnt say their record is just a good record due to being in the east. There was some more statistical data about their progress.

https://twitter.com/nbastats/status/443065162694926337

@Raptors have won 9 of their last 11 games. In that span, they're 1st in midrange FG% defense, (32.5%), 3rd in 3PT% defense (32.1%)

Lowry and Derozan have been playing out of their minds, especially Lowry, this dude is a stud and definitely got snubbed for the ASG. Toronto's main weakness is their frontcourt with Jonas not ready yet defensively, but I could definitely see them putting up a decent fight in the 2nd round ( presuming they make it there)

FriedTofuz
03-11-2014, 07:30 PM
I'm looking forward to what non-raptor fans have to say, it's always nicer with a non-biased opinion.

Alayla
03-11-2014, 07:36 PM
In a world where everyone is crying about tanking things like this get brushed under the rug.

FriedTofuz
03-11-2014, 07:40 PM
See this is the misconception. There was statistics that I cant find right now, but the stats were basically explaining how they're ranked as one of the top teams in the league. They've been competative, not just padded wins from tankers. Their easiest portion of the schedule is yet to come as well.

abe_froman
03-11-2014, 07:44 PM
they certainly surprised the hell outta me, i'm glad they are doing well,probably my fav story of the season

WARRIORS@GR
03-11-2014, 07:52 PM
They will probably get swept even if they make it to the 2nd round.
Put them in the West right now,and they are not higher than 10th.

Philly Hammer
03-11-2014, 08:03 PM
The Raptors weren't **** when the east was even somewhat competitive now they get threads talking about how good they are in a historically bad east.

smith&wesson
03-11-2014, 08:12 PM
The Raptors weren't **** when the east was even somewhat competitive now they get threads talking about how good they are in a historically bad east.

When was the east somewhat competitive ? the east has been a 3 team race for a ver long time. the only difference is the bulls arent as good as they were. big wow.

anyways, not all raptor fans think this team is the greatest. I personally think our GM hasnt even decided if he wants to rebuild or stick with this team. the raps are in limbo. we have like 5 pgs, 4 pf's and 1 C lol talk about unbalanced.

NBA_Starter
03-11-2014, 10:33 PM
They are very impressive for sure. Hopefully they make some noise in the playoffs.

dalton749
03-11-2014, 10:51 PM
id put them in a category with Golden State, Dallas, Memphis which is solid considering that the average age for the team in one of the youngest in the league, the only younger teams are fighting for that 20141st pick.
and 2 2nd year players in the starting lineup, they will probably take a similar path as Indiana 2 years ago

Sadds The Gr8
03-11-2014, 11:17 PM
Lol I love dumb comments like this. When people talk about the raptors success this year, it's because the east sucks, but yet people are on the bulls nuts and acting like thibideau has found the cure for aids....

Everyone knows the east sucks but that standard should go for everyone instead of just the raptors then.

Hilarious how little credit this team is getting....

John Walls Era
03-11-2014, 11:23 PM
They beat a lot of good teams...

SportsFanatic10
03-11-2014, 11:58 PM
yep, fun team to watch play. derozan and lowry are having great seasons, and ross is getting more run with rudy gone. i'd love to see them win a playoff series, toronto would go nuts!

Hawkeye15
03-12-2014, 12:45 AM
I mean, they have been good since Gay left, but in the west, they are not a playoff team. Lowry is having a great year, but they benefit from playing in arguably the biggest garbage conference in history.

Happy for their fans, despite the fact that they are better off sucking and getting draft talent.

TheMightyHumph
03-12-2014, 12:55 AM
Raptors have a young, energetic and talented team. They play hard every game.

Was glad to see Nets beat them Monday night. Rapts had just flown in from Minnesota.

mrblisterdundee
03-12-2014, 02:28 AM
I think it's great. You have to keep a team in Canada.
They've got a couple rugged, defensive stoppers in the front court. Lowry's secretly one of the best point guards in the league right now. Ross is also showing promise – you can thank Oregon for that guy. And the team has a lot of depth. In some ways, they're becoming more like San Antonio, which can't be a bad thing.

WARRIORS@GR
03-12-2014, 06:09 AM
id put them in a category with Golden State, Dallas, Memphis which is solid considering that the average age for the team in one of the youngest in the league, the only younger teams are fighting for that 20141st pick.
and 2 2nd year players in the starting lineup, they will probably take a similar path as Indiana 2 years agolol at thinking they would even sniff playoffs in the West.

MonroeFAN
03-12-2014, 08:38 AM
^ listening to your feeble little mind try and talk about basketball is hilarious. I think I speak for most people on here when I say pipedown.

Hawkeye15
03-12-2014, 09:04 AM
^ listening to your feeble little mind try and talk about basketball is hilarious. I think I speak for most people on here when I say pipedown.

I don't think they contend for a playoff spot out west either. Getting to play an east friendly schedule has helped them for sure. They are 13-12 against the west, and still have to play Memphis, OKC, Houston, and Phoenix. They are most likely fighting the Wolves for 10th place in the west.

ThuglifeJ
03-12-2014, 09:59 AM

When was the east somewhat competitive ? the east has been a 3 team race for a ver long time. the only difference is the bulls arent as good as they were. big wow.

anyways, not all raptor fans think this team is the greatest. I personally think our GM hasnt even decided if he wants to rebuild or stick with this team. the raps are in limbo. we have like 5 pgs, 4 pf's and 1 C lol talk about unbalanced.

Umm? Celtics , Bulls, Sixers, Magic with Dwight, Caves lebron, Knicks with good Stoudemire, Hawks always in 2nd round.. all are weak now, bulls slightly

Not to mention unbelievably underachieving Knicks, and a underachieving Nets.

Trust me the East is the worst its ever been and I'm a Raptor fan. We've had a good season but record makes us 10th in West..

ThuglifeJ
03-12-2014, 10:04 AM
and 2 2nd year players in the starting lineup, they will probably take a similar path as Indiana 2 years ago

I'd put them a notch below those teams...you can't tell me Dallas or GS in the east wouldn't be 3rd seed and with a better record

2-ONE-5
03-12-2014, 10:20 AM
if PHX is fighting for a playoff spot the Raptors sure as hell would be too in the west

torocan
03-12-2014, 11:00 AM
I think the Raptors are doing very nicely.

I think as currently constructed, they would be a bubble play off team out West (along with Phoenix, Minnesota, Dallas and Memphis). That's not a knock on the Raptors... there's only 2 other teams in the East right now that would even be play off teams in the West and that's Indiana and OKC.

I don't fully buy the "feeding off the East" argument for Toronto since I consider the pre-Rudy Gay portion of the season to cancel that out. I think their current record is probably close to what they would have gotten in the West.

So, good for the Raptors. They have what I consider to be a legitimate Play Off caliber team (not to be confused with a team in the play off seeding).

You got a steal in Masai Ujiri. You have a very bright future ahead.

Sly Guy
03-12-2014, 11:50 AM

because young players don't develop of course....It's ok, I like my team flying under the radar. Still think they're just a 2nd round out, but I like the way the team is headed.

WARRIORS@GR
03-12-2014, 11:58 AM
^ listening to your feeble little mind try and talk about basketball is hilarious. I think I speak for most people on here when I say pipedown.You speak for most people?lol ok.if you say so.

Stinkyoutsider
03-12-2014, 12:01 PM
I'm not going to penalize the Raptors for playing in a weak Eastern conference because all they can do is play and beat teams on their schedule.

They've been a surprise this season, especially now that Gay has left town. I haven't seen a lot of them (just when they play my team) but they seem like they have passion for the game now. They don't quit and have confidence now.

I'm not sure what they can do in the playoffs yet but if they can keep this up, their going to be that darkhorse team that no one wants to play in the playoffs.

monty77
03-12-2014, 12:08 PM
Toronto at third position in the Eastern Conference! This is amazing taking into account its roster. They are the Phoenix from the East. I don't understand how is it possible they win so many games with such a bad players.

Maybe DeRozan can play 3 or 4 allstars throughout his career, and maybe Lowry and Valanciunas could be considered top 10 players at PG & C position respectively, but this isn't enough to explain such a wonderful record.

Vazquez, Patterson and Hansbrough are proper players. They wouldn't be starter in any current contender team in the league, but all them have special skills. They are good pieces if you want to consolidate a team and Dwane Casey make them work.

As I said before, this is a similar case to Phoenix. Both teams were designed to tank, but tanking is made by GM, players and coaches want to perform as much as possible, and much more if you are a rookie coach or a player who hasn't proved your value in the league yet.

Toronto and Phoenix deserve a prize. They have showed more momentum than any other team in the league. If there would be justice and Karma, Dwane Casey or Jeff Hornacek would be awarded Coach of the year, Raptors would overpass the first round in the playoffs and Phoenix would get the first draft pick in the draft (if they won't reach playoffs).

There are team such as Bucks, Philadelphia, Orlando, Sacramento, Utah and Boston which deserve to be punished. They have demostrate that they want to loose every night, and this make this sport worse and weaker. They don't deserve a pick, I wish none of them get any of three first picks. It would be a great example for the future.

WARRIORS@GR
03-12-2014, 12:25 PM
How do people not understand how BAD those East teams are?

Chicago lost 2 of their 3 best players,and everybody was saying the should tank.And they will get HCA.
Brooklyn was absolutely disappointing and everybody was laughing at them.And the could get HCA.
Pistons,Cavs and Knicks are a mess,and they still have a chance at the playoffs.

Raptors have probably overachieved,but they haven't done something significant.
Their record right now would put them at 9th in the West,and let's not act like they would have that record if they were playing most of their games vs WC teams.

mjt20mik
03-12-2014, 12:39 PM
I don't understand why people use the West as a benchmark. This Raptors team has played well, and is a greatly improved team from last year. They are top 10 in both defensive and offensive ratings, which is pretty decent considering the core of the team is very very young.

dalton749
03-12-2014, 12:41 PM
I'd put them a notch below those teams...you can't tell me Dallas or GS in the east wouldn't be 3rd seed and with a better record

toronto would have a better record as well though if rudy gay wasnt there to start the season
they've been one of the best teams in the league since trading him

on the year they are 1-1 against GS, 2-0 against Minni, 2-0 against Dallas, 1-0 against memphis

torocan
03-12-2014, 12:44 PM
How do people not understand how BAD those East teams are?

Chicago lost 2 of their 3 best players,and everybody was saying the should tank.And they will get HCA.
Brooklyn was absolutely disappointing and everybody was laughing at them.And the could get HCA.
Pistons,Cavs and Knicks are a mess,and they still have a chance at the playoffs.

Raptors have probably overachieved,but they haven't done something significant.
Their record right now would put them at 9th in the West,and let's not act like they would have that record if they were playing most of their games vs WC teams.

To be fair, the Raptors have a winning record vs the West (13-12). They're actually one of the only 3 teams in the East with a winning record vs the West (the other two being Indiana and Miami). And that's including the Rudy Gay run in to the cellar.

Even if you only extrapolate out their record vs the West, they'd still be a bubble West play off team.

I think you're not giving them enough credit. The Raptors are a legit basketball play off caliber team.

WARRIORS@GR
03-12-2014, 12:52 PM
To be fair, the Raptors have a winning record vs the West (13-12). They're actually one of the only 3 teams in the East with a winning record vs the West (the other two being Indiana and Miami). And that's including the Rudy Gay run in to the cellar.

Even if you only extrapolate out their record vs the West, they'd still be a bubble West play off team.

I think you're not giving them enough credit. The Raptors are a legit basketball play off caliber team.
I doubt they could keep this winning % vs the West if they were playing WC team every night.The Raptors are playing in one of the weakest divisions and one of the weakest conferences of all time right now.Sorry,i have no problem with the Raptors,but i find it hard giving them the credit you want.

BALLER R
03-12-2014, 12:53 PM
Ross and Jonas are the x-factors on this team. When those two are having good game I believe the raptors can beat any team. I think come playoff time is when they will be given their credit or be labelled overrated. Also helps to get some exposure because I'm sure majority of people that say their only good because the east sucks haven't watched much raptor games.

torocan
03-12-2014, 01:10 PM
I doubt they could keep this winning % vs the West if they were playing WC team every night.The Raptors are playing in one of the weakest divisions and one of the weakest conferences of all time right now.Sorry,i have no problem with the Raptors,but i find it hard giving them the credit you want.

That may or not be true, that's purely speculation without data. And given their youth, I actually think they'd do okay against the faster pace West. Let's not forget, they have multiple players that came from the West, with a Head Coach from the Dallas Mavericks and a GM from the West, so it's not like it's something they've never seen.

All I have to go off is their current record against the NBA, against the West, and their offense and defense post-Rudy Gay. And all those point to them being a decent team. And that 13-12 includes when they were the crappy Rudy Gay Raptors.

Post Rudy Gay they're actually 11-8 against the West.

They'd still probably on the outside looking in in the West, but they wouldn't be completely out of it.

mike_noodles
03-12-2014, 01:23 PM
Ross and Jonas are the x-factors on this team. When those two are having good game I believe the raptors can beat any team. I think come playoff time is when they will be given their credit or be labelled overrated. Also helps to get some exposure because I'm sure majority of people that say their only good because the east sucks haven't watched much raptor games.

This is likely very true.

Anyways, I'm so happy right now. This team is fun fun fun to watch for sure. The really important thing for me is that even when they lose, it's usually a very close game. Hell, if they had gotten a couple of god damned calls, this team would have a few more wins.

likemystylez
03-12-2014, 01:36 PM
unless you are a top 2 team in the east- theres really nothing to get excited about

torocan
03-12-2014, 01:38 PM
unless you are a top 2 team in the east- theres really nothing to get excited about

Well, if you're a Raptors fan I think you'd feel differently. They've had a tough road as a franchise. They've kind of sucked for a really long time, so I don't mind giving them some props when they're due.

likemystylez
03-12-2014, 01:39 PM
Well, if you're a Raptors fan I think you'd feel differently. They've had a tough road as a franchise. They've kind of sucked for a really long time, so I don't mind giving them some props when they're due.

LOL Im a warriors fan, dont talk to me about having a tough road....

likemystylez
03-12-2014, 01:39 PM

besides- if you play in the east, as long as you arent a jr high girls team... you dont have THAT tough of a road.

torocan
03-12-2014, 01:43 PM

Oh, I know. It's why I didn't mind giving props to the Warriors. Or Portland. Or the Clippers the last couple years.

The way I look at it, when the scales come back around, it's good karma to be a little generous. You never know when your own team is going to be on the downside.

smith&wesson
03-12-2014, 02:32 PM
Umm? Celtics , Bulls, Sixers, Magic with Dwight, Caves lebron, Knicks with good Stoudemire, Hawks always in 2nd round.. all are weak now, bulls slightly

Not to mention unbelievably underachieving Knicks, and a underachieving Nets.

Trust me the East is the worst its ever been and I'm a Raptor fan. We've had a good season but record makes us 10th in West..

umm you realize those werent all in the same season right ???? lmao the east, in recent history has alway been a top heavy conference. Nothing new here big guy..

I stopped reading at "knicks with good staudamire" :laugh2:

dtmagnet
03-12-2014, 02:36 PM
I mean, they have been good since Gay left, but in the west, they are not a playoff team. Lowry is having a great year, but they benefit from playing in arguably the biggest garbage conference in history.

Happy for their fans, despite the fact that they are better off sucking and getting draft talent.

Who cares, theyre not in the west. I hate hearing this BS over and over again.

smith&wesson
03-12-2014, 02:42 PM
Who cares, theyre not in the west. I hate hearing this BS over and over again.

hawkeye just upset cuz the raptors spanked his twolves the other day lol... oh also he wishes his team was in the eat too :D

smith&wesson
03-12-2014, 02:44 PM

why ? your doubt doesnt equate to fact or something that you know for certain. you can speculate on what ifs all you want, but all you have to go by is the actual record vs west teams.

if you look at the raptors after they traded rudy gay, they have had a good record vs the west. look it up.

mrblisterdundee
03-12-2014, 03:44 PM
there's only 2 other teams in the East right now that would even be play off teams in the West and that's Indiana and OKC.

I'm sure you meant Miami.
The east is pretty weak, but it still has two of the four best contenders, including Indiana, Miami, Oklahoma City and San Antonio. Those are the only teams that have shown enough consistent greatness to have a chance. The Clippers and Rockets might get there, just another reason why the playoffs should be based on overall rankings, rather than divided between conferences.

spreadeagle
03-12-2014, 05:08 PM
I dont wanna see the Nets in the playoffs first round thats for sure, their experience would really help them against a young Raptor squad
Raptors have a young, energetic and talented team. They play hard every game.

Was glad to see Nets beat them Monday night. Rapts had just flown in from Minnesota.

EastCoastRaptor
03-12-2014, 05:12 PM

If you didn't notice most of the posters that are downplaying the Raptors success are teams the Raptors have recently beaten. Also the fact that these teams are also bubble teams in the west shows they are salty about the Raptors making the playoffs. SOUR GRAPES

dalton749
03-12-2014, 07:23 PM
if i were a fan of one of the bubble teams in west id be pissed too seeing the raps in 3rd

ThuglifeJ
03-13-2014, 01:23 AM
umm you realize those werent all in the same season right ???? lmao the east, in recent history has alway been a top heavy conference. Nothing new here big guy..

I stopped reading at "knicks with good staudamire" :laugh2:

You're oblivious if you think the East has been THIS weak. It's almost always been the lesser conference, but not with only 2 good teams. Raptors and Bulls are solid and I love the Raps but I'm not gonna act like they aren't the 10th seed in the West. It's ridiculous.

And the Knicks were pretty good with Stoudemire when he first go there, with like Chandler and them...sooo you should watch more basketball..Stoudemire sucks now but he had a good start there

waveycrockett
03-13-2014, 01:35 AM
Raptors really have a nice young team but their bench is trash and the inexperience is really going to show in a 7 game series against a team like the Bulls or Nets. They better hang onto that #3 seed.

Kyben36
03-13-2014, 01:39 AM
they have played great, never expected it from them,

Sadds The Gr8
03-13-2014, 02:57 AM
we have a ****** history plus our team started off like crap and everyone & their mothers expected them to go into the tank yet they're in 3rd, so yea, I have a lot to be excited about.

North Yorker
03-13-2014, 10:19 AM
What impresses me is that they are consistently in every game. Since the Gay trade they have a total of THREE losses where they lost by double digits. They lost by 13 to SA twice and @LAC. They don't get blown out, and they finish the vast majority of their games strong. 4th Q pt differential is pretty good iirc, and I think they are something like 26-2 when they lead at halftime.

mike_noodles
03-13-2014, 10:50 AM
Raptors really have a nice young team but their bench is trash and the inexperience is really going to show in a 7 game series against a team like the Bulls or Nets. They better hang onto that #3 seed.

This is clearly the opinion of somebody that hasn't actually watched them. Their bench has been terrific and one of the main reasons for their new found success.

ACanadian
03-13-2014, 11:31 AM
Let the Raptor fan base have their fun, next season, we'll be back where we were when Lowry walks.

ink
03-13-2014, 01:05 PM
I don't understand why people use the West as a benchmark. This Raptors team has played well, and is a greatly improved team from last year. They are top 10 in both defensive and offensive ratings, which is pretty decent considering the core of the team is very very young.

Because if you want to assess a team in real terms you have to measure against the ENTIRE league.

Even if the East never has to meet the West until the finals, few teams from the East can honestly say they measure up. If a team wants to be the best, then don't avoid measuring against the best.

ink
03-13-2014, 01:10 PM

I agree with this. They are a lot of fun to watch though. Long term? Who knows if the GM has taken useful first steps toward something bigger, or if he's thrown away a chance for major upgrades through the draft. Right now the Raptors are often ranked about 12th in the league, which is the high end of "no man's land" (Ujiri's term for the treadmill team he doesn't want the team to become).

Since he's non-commital right now, the only thing we can do is enjoy the good ball the Raptors are playing for what it is and hope he has a better strategy than improving through the draft.

gwrighter
03-13-2014, 01:26 PM
In this thread: Salty Western conference fans, lol.

ink
03-13-2014, 01:28 PM
In this thread: Salty Western conference fans, lol.

Or fans who aren't surprised by winning like we are this year. They expect to win.

gwrighter
03-13-2014, 01:37 PM
You're oblivious if you think the East has been THIS weak. It's almost always been the lesser conference, but not with only 2 good teams. Raptors and Bulls are solid and I love the Raps but I'm not gonna act like they aren't the 10th seed in the West. It's ridiculous.

And the Knicks were pretty good with Stoudemire when he first go there, with like Chandler and them...sooo you should watch more basketball..Stoudemire sucks now but he had a good start there

You can talk all you want about how weak the east has been but the fact still remains the Raptors aren't part of the cluster of weak teams in the east & we're in fact a good team. Raps have lost 7 games in the last 7 weeks.

gwrighter
03-13-2014, 01:39 PM
Or fans who aren't surprised by winning like we are this year. They expect to win.

They expect to win, lose to the Raptors & become salty.

gwrighter
03-13-2014, 01:55 PM
Also, the western conference talks about the east being bad as if it doesn't help them in the standings too.

pebloemer
03-13-2014, 02:05 PM
Yes, they are a much improved basketball team.

- Post Rudy Gay, they are what, 30-15? In spite of the fact that they play in the East, I don't think it is a stretch to put them in the playoffs bubble out West with Phoenix, Minny and Dallas. It is a safe assumption and I think that it is fair company for them.

- By the end of January, when the team just went 19-9 post Gay, people were pointing to the fact that they play in the East as a reason to discredit their accomplishments. At that point their Strength of Schedule was among the 5 most difficult in the league.... I will accept small sample size as a reasonable concern here, but those counter arguments were very unjustified at the time.

- Now with the sustained success, the strength of schedule has deteriorated due to the weaker competition, however the sample size has gotten quite significant.

There are still excuses available for people discredit this teams success, but they are starting to run out. The bottom line is that this has been one of the most successful teams (in terms of record) in the league over the past 45 games since the big trade. They have beaten very strong teams among that stretch. They execute well offensively and have shown to be more than capable of locking down defensively. Along with Chicago, Washington and Brooklyn, who have all been played much better basketball, they are increasing the competitiveness of the East significantly. That is a very good thing.

ink
03-13-2014, 02:11 PM

They expect to win, lose to the Raptors & become salty.

???

ink
03-13-2014, 02:12 PM
Also, the western conference talks about the east being bad as if it doesn't help them in the standings too.

Well if they're truly better that's not the advantage it is to a middle of the pack team.

ink
03-13-2014, 02:21 PM
Yes, they are a much improved basketball team.

- Post Rudy Gay, they are what, 30-15? In spite of the fact that they play in the East, I don't think it is a stretch to put them in the playoffs bubble out West with Phoenix, Minny and Dallas. It is a safe assumption and I think that it is fair company for them.

- By the end of January, when the team just went 19-9 post Gay, people were pointing to the fact that they play in the East as a reason to discredit their accomplishments. At that point their Strength of Schedule was among the 5 most difficult in the league.... I will accept small sample size as a reasonable concern here, but those counter arguments were very unjustified at the time.

- Now with the sustained success, the strength of schedule has deteriorated due to the weaker competition, however the sample size has gotten quite significant.

There are still excuses available for people discredit this teams success, but they are starting to run out. The bottom line is that this has been one of the most successful teams (in terms of record) in the league over the past 45 games since the big trade. They have beaten very strong teams among that stretch. They execute well offensively and have shown to be more than capable of locking down defensively. Along with Chicago, Washington and Brooklyn, who have all been played much better basketball, they are increasing the competitiveness of the East significantly. That is a very good thing.

Good post as always. It's a proving phase and can hardly be surprising that people outside Toronto aren't as excited as Raptors fans are. It takes years of consistent results for a team to prove itself, and it should.

waveycrockett
03-13-2014, 02:24 PM
This is clearly the opinion of somebody that hasn't actually watched them. Their bench has been terrific and one of the main reasons for their new found success.

I watched them a handful of time and just this week first the Nets. They lack a real 6th man or leader off the bench. I like Vasquez and Psycho T but thats it. Dont see any scoring off the bench they will need against deep teams.

Sly Guy
03-13-2014, 02:33 PM
I watched them a handful of time and just this week first the Nets. They lack a real 6th man or leader off the bench. I like Vasquez and Psycho T but thats it. Dont see any scoring off the bench they will need against deep teams.

This is also true. We have a good bench by virtue of each guy coming into the game brings something, either toughness, rebounding, a little playmaking, or 3 point shooting, but no one who can do a combination of them.

Also, Jonas is still a young big man, and is prone to go invisible during stretches, so a true big man off the bench would help cover that up.

But these are problems you can address in the offseason if the GM chooses to keep this core. Right now it's best to let it ride out this year, worry about how to mold this group into a contender later.

ink
03-13-2014, 02:34 PM

If you watched the Nets game you didn't see Patrick Patterson, who's been amazing in a 6th man role since the Rudy Gay trade. John Salmons has also been very good off the bench, providing some leadership. They're a work in progress.

Legendary33
03-13-2014, 02:35 PM
Proves the point you haven't watched them before this week because our top 6th man is Patrick Patterson who didn't play due to injury against the Nets. PPat also had the clutch steal and dagger buzzer beater to beat the Nets earlier in the year so i'm not too worried. Our bench may not have the name power that other teams have but they our definitely one of our biggest assets. And criticism for the raptors is fair, just because we exceeded expectations doesn't make us a top 10 team in the league.

ThuglifeJ
03-13-2014, 03:11 PM
I think it'd be more impressive if the Raps record actually held a spot in the West. As a 3rd seed should. Then we can start to talk the talk..

pebloemer
03-13-2014, 04:02 PM
I think it'd be more impressive if the Raps record actually held a spot in the West. As a 3rd seed should. Then we can start to talk the talk..

By the end of the season, they almost certainly will. All this talk about the lack of competition in the East, it should be noted that the average winning percentage of teams Toronto has faced is .497, hardest among Eastern Conference teams to date. While not comparable to most Western teams (with the exception of Denver), there probably isn't a team in the league with an easier schedule down the stretch than the Raptors.

smith&wesson
03-13-2014, 04:21 PM
im not a back seat mod or anything, and could care less about what kind of threads people make. But we get it. the raps arent a contender and no ones going to give them props until they are. so whats the point of this thread ?

please aplaud our team as we are 7 games above 500...lol. this is worse than begging for acceptance.

lajoie
03-13-2014, 04:24 PM

Its completely different when you get to play the likes of the Sixers, Celtics, Knicks and Nets 4 times a year as opposed to say a team like Memphis that has to play Dallas, Houston and SA 4 times a year.

smith&wesson
03-13-2014, 05:13 PM
Its completely different when you get to play the likes of the Sixers, Celtics, Knicks and Nets 4 times a year as opposed to say a team like Memphis that has to play Dallas, Houston and SA 4 times a year.

yeah, but the raps have beat west teams as well.

Since december 8th post rudy gay trade the raps are 30-15. of those 45 games 17 of them were against west teams and the raps are 11-6 in that span. also in the month of march so far, the raps are un defeated against the west,just saying.

check it out for yourself. http://www.nba.com/raptors/schedule rudy gay was traded around december 8th or 9th if i am not mistaken.

Kelly Gruber
03-13-2014, 05:18 PM
They are far from a finished product, they need some front court help, especially on defence. But they've performed far and above their heads. Lowry is a floor general and a master and taking a charge (leads the league). DeRozan looks like a legit scorer. The rest of the guys just need experience. Ross and Valanciunas have a lot of potential, but they also do a lot or rookie things, like taking poor shots and turning the ball over. Then they'll drop 50 (Ross) or dunk on a veteran (Valanciunas), there's a lot of potential and it's exciting.

Crap all over it if you must, blah blah blah the West etc. But Raps fans deserve a little good news and an up and coming team and it looks like they have it. Hopefully Lowry re-signs or it's essentially back to the drawing board. He's the engine on that squad.

waveycrockett
03-13-2014, 06:20 PM
Proves the point you haven't watched them before this week because our top 6th man is Patrick Patterson who didn't play due to injury against the Nets. PPat also had the clutch steal and dagger buzzer beater to beat the Nets earlier in the year so i'm not too worried. Our bench may not have the name power that other teams have but they our definitely one of our biggest assets. And criticism for the raptors is fair, just because we exceeded expectations doesn't make us a top 10 team in the league.

Patrick Patterson is a solid back up PF but get serious. The numbers dont lie he isn't the scoring punch off the bench you will need to beat the deeper and more experienced teams.

dalton749
03-13-2014, 06:33 PM
Ross did an ama on reddit today if anyone is interested
http://www.reddit.com/r/nba/comments/20c7it/im_terrence_ross_of_the_toronto_raptors_here_to/

todu82
03-13-2014, 06:45 PM
Great to see the team doing so well. Don't expect them to reach Miami or Indiana in the East but I think they finish 3rd in the East and win a playoff series.

KnicksorBust
03-13-2014, 06:58 PM
I love Kyle Lowry. I love Amir Johnson. Terrence Ross seems to have a bright future... but in the grand scheme of things... isn't this team in really bad shape moving forward?

gwrighter
03-13-2014, 07:00 PM
Patrick Patterson is a solid back up PF but get serious. The numbers dont lie he isn't the scoring punch off the bench you will need to beat the deeper and more experienced teams.

We are one of the deeper teams in the East. I don't think anybody here is saying we can beat Miami or Indiana in a series but Patterson has been that difference maker for us off the bench. The Toronto Kings play well together on the same unit & usually outplay opposing benches.

dalton749
03-13-2014, 07:16 PM
I love Kyle Lowry. I love Amir Johnson. Terrence Ross seems to have a bright future... but in the grand scheme of things... isn't this team in really bad shape moving forward?

haha im sorry but no, your team is in bad shape
they have some bad smaller contracts that will affect their cap next year [(mainly fields,hayes) better than bargnani, gay] but other than that they're one of the youngest teams in the league and have derozan, ross, and valanciunas who will still get much better along with all of their picks + knicks pick 2016

if they keep the team together they should stay a playoff team as none of the east bottom feeds are going to win a lot more games next year with one rookie

they could probably go for 50 wins next season and take the path that indiana has the last few years with a great cap situation

KnicksorBust
03-13-2014, 07:23 PM
haha im sorry but no, your team is in bad shape
they have some bad smaller contracts that will affect their cap next year (mainly fields,hayes) but other than that they're one of the youngest teams in the league and have derozan, ross, and valanciunas who will still get much better along with all of their picks + knicks pick 2016

if they keep the team together they should stay a playoff team as none of the east bottom feeds are going to win a lot more games next year with one rookie

You know it's a great rebuttal when the first thing you have to say is bringing up a completely off-topic other team to bait the other poster for having a contrary opinion. PSD never fails to disappoint. :laugh:

TorontoHuskies
03-13-2014, 07:38 PM

Yes we're in very bad shape moving forward...Lowry could walk and we just threw our chance at a franchise player out the window because our GM failed to tank properly (he tried but it backfired). There are a lot of stupid/impatient Raptor fans on this forum who will debate this but they really don't see the big picture so it's useless arguing with them.

waveycrockett
03-13-2014, 07:38 PM
I mean they have a nice young core but they really needed a top-5 pick this year. Masai was definitely banking on that and balked at trading Lowry because tanking accusations. When your best player is a free agent and chances are good he might not return that is never a good sign. As it stands they need Terrance Ross and Derozan to do the Paul George and blossom into stars and for Lowry to reup or they are just a treadmill team going forward.

waveycrockett
03-13-2014, 07:40 PM
Yes we're in very bad shape moving forward...Lowry could walk and we just through our chance at a franchise player out the window because our GM failed to tank properly (he tried but it backfired).

AGREED 100%. I think Wiggins would of been a lock for TOR too.

TorontoHuskies
03-13-2014, 07:42 PM
AGREED 100%. I think Wiggins would of been a lock for TOR too.

The NBA always fixes things like that which is why I am a really pissed off fan right now despite the winning record.

gwrighter
03-13-2014, 08:02 PM
Raps are gonna sign Wiggins when he hits FA. Might as well let some other pathetic team draft and develop him for us.

gwrighter
03-13-2014, 08:07 PM
The NBA always fixes things like that which is why I am a really pissed off fan right now despite the winning record.

LOL When has the NBA ever fixed anything for the Raptors?

waveycrockett
03-13-2014, 08:11 PM
LOL When has the NBA ever fixed anything for the Raptors?

The NBA has never needed to do anything to help the Raptors more so than other teams but Wiggins to TOR would have made TOO much sense for the league not to fix. The lottery is rigged.

gwrighter
03-13-2014, 08:13 PM
The NBA has never needed to do anything to help the Raptors more so than other teams but Wiggins to TOR would have made TOO much sense for the league not to fix. The lottery is rigged.

What makes more sense for the NBA is Wiggins to the Lakers. Again, it's a joke if you guys think that the NBA was going to fix anything for the Raptors. That's like the NBA fixing the draft for the Charlotte Bobcats. It's just never going to happen.

mike_noodles
03-13-2014, 08:15 PM

I get why the comparisons to the west, I do. But... how many people are taking into consideration that no matter how you slice up the playoffs, the Raps would be a top 16 team and would therefore make the playoffs. Also keep in mind that most "experts" knew how weak the east would be, and still had them on the outside looking in.

waveycrockett
03-13-2014, 08:21 PM
What makes more sense for the NBA is Wiggins to the Lakers. Again, it's a joke if you guys think that the NBA was going to fix anything for the Raptors. That's like the NBA fixing the draft for the Charlotte Bobcats. It's just never going to happen.

Lets say the draft isn't rigged, Exum, Wiggins, Embid, Parker, Randle all would of been great for you guys.

gwrighter
03-13-2014, 08:24 PM
Lets say the draft isn't rigged, Exum, Wiggins, Embid, Parker, Randle all would of been great for you guys.

Well of course they'd be great for every single team in the NBA. Don't forget the Raps are 3rd in the East with two sophomore's in the starting lineup & a young All-star in Derozan. The problem is what we'd have to give up in order to get bad enough to get them which at the moment isn't worth it. Our team is too good to tank even with our youth.

Sly Guy
03-13-2014, 08:25 PM
Ross did an ama on reddit today if anyone is interested
http://www.reddit.com/r/nba/comments/20c7it/im_terrence_ross_of_the_toronto_raptors_here_to/

lol, that's pretty good stuff there.

TorontoHuskies
03-13-2014, 08:26 PM

Exactly, it's not everyday Cleveland produces a guy like James but when they do guess where they put him? Toronto would have been the same situation as Cleveland if they were smart enough to tank but they're not so we're gonna have to pry him from the Lakers or wherever.

TorontoHuskies
03-13-2014, 08:31 PM

Wiggins has no meaning to the Lakers he'd just be another great player. The Clippers are the new Lakers anyways it's not like LA is in trouble.

LanceUpperCut
03-13-2014, 08:31 PM

Just wondering but why would you say that? A 25 year old all-star, a top 5 PG this year who will more then likely resign two 2nd year starters just scratching the surface and all are bad money is gone next year. We own all are future picks plus a couple extra's and have cap space. We've never been in better shape.

Oh yeah I guess we did trade everything away and purposely lose for a 25% or less chance at Wiggins who score 40+ points the other night so he's obviously the next Lebron.

gwrighter
03-13-2014, 08:34 PM
Wiggins has no meaning to the Lakers he'd just be another great player. The Clippers are the new Lakers anyways it's not like LA is in trouble.

Great player + Lakers = $$$$$$$$$$$

The NBA doesn't care about meaning, they care about $$. When the Lakers are good, its good for the NBA & they know it. They would much rather the Lakers be good than the Raptors.

waveycrockett
03-13-2014, 08:37 PM
Well of course they'd be great for every single team in the NBA. Don't forget the Raps are 3rd in the East with two sophomore's in the starting lineup & a young All-star in Derozan. The problem is what we'd have to give up in order to get bad enough to get them which at the moment isn't worth it. Our team is too good to tank even with our youth.
As constructed the Raps are basically the Rockets of 3 years ago not good enough to make noise in the playoffs and not bad enough to tank. A nice market but not a huge one to attract a future superstar to go their alone and a collection of nice young talent but no future superstars. They could of had one this draft but it looks like they will need to make their own version of the James Harden trade to take this franchise to the next level since they wont be getting that superstar guy thru the draft. Luckily you guys have a great GM so chances are better than most he can do it. Still I believe this was a missed opportunity but Masai is a guy to trust.

gwrighter
03-13-2014, 08:38 PM
Just wondering but why do you that? A 25 year old all-star, a top 5 PG this year who will more then likely resign two 2nd year starters just scratching the surface and all are bad money is gone next year. We own all are future picks plus a couple extra's and have cap space. We've never been in better shape.

Oh yeah I guess we did trade everything away and purposely lose for a 25% or less chance at Wiggins who score 40+ points the other night so he's obviously the next Lebron.

Because people just don't give a **** about the Raps and can't be bothered actually looking at facts before forming opinions. This is the state of the NBA forum.

waveycrockett
03-13-2014, 08:46 PM
I'm not saying Lowry wont resign but the market is going to be huge for Lowry. If the Raps dont keep Lowry then this draft was a huge missed opportunity. I haven't heard anything that says Lowry to the Raps is a lock and I have nothing against the Raps. Actually am glad to finally see them get their ish together.

gwrighter
03-13-2014, 08:46 PM
As constructed the Raps are basically the Rockets of 3 years ago not good enough to make noise in the playoffs and not bad enough to tank. A nice market but not a huge one to attract a future superstar to go their alone and a collection of nice young talent but no future superstars. They could of had one this draft but it looks like they will need to make their own version of the James Harden trade to take this franchise to the next level since they wont be getting that superstar guy thru the draft. Luckily you guys have a great GM so chances are better than most he can do it. Still I believe this was a missed opportunity but Masai is a guy to trust.

We should wait and see how they play in the playoffs before saying we won't make any noise, lol.

The Raps are Indiana of 2 years ago more so than the Rockets. We have talent, or else we wouldn't be able to play this well post trade. We have an all-star on the way to superstardom as we speak & some young prospect with all-star potential. We're not in a bad position by any means & I'm comfortable with where we are so much that we don't need a faux superstar like Wiggins or any other guy in this draft. Especially considering that there doesn't seem to be any transcendent superstar in the draft this season anyways.

waveycrockett
03-13-2014, 08:49 PM
We should wait and see how they play in the playoffs before saying we won't make any noise, lol.

The Raps are Indiana of 2 years ago more so than the Rockets. We have talent, or else we wouldn't be able to play this well post trade. We have an all-star on the way to superstardom as we speak & some young prospect with all-star potential. We're not in a bad position by any means & I'm comfortable with where we are so much that we don't need a faux superstar like Wiggins or any other guy in this draft. Especially considering that there doesn't seem to be any transcendent superstar in the draft this season anyways.
Indiana was playoff tested for years battling against CLE and CHI with a very young squads and they finally mad noise last year. Future is bright for you guys tho.

gwrighter
03-13-2014, 08:50 PM
I'm not saying Lowry wont resign but the market is going to be huge for Lowry. If the Raps dont keep Lowry then this draft was a huge missed opportunity. I haven't heard anything that says Lowry to the Raps is a lock and I have nothing against the Raps. Actually am glad to finally see them get their ish together.

Not getting our young guys playoff experience is a bigger missed opportunity then landing some 19 year old. One of our guys is an all-star, another young guy scored 51 points earlier this season and is turning into one of the best 3 & D players in the league. Anybody who's a fan of the current Raptors team would agree that there was no missed opportunity this season at all.

LanceUpperCut
03-13-2014, 08:51 PM

Except theirs not a huge market at all for Lowry, most teams are short on cash or already have a great PG. I'd say the Lakers are the biggest competition and they are probably saving cash for other guys, plus they are or should be rebuilding for the next year or two.

gwrighter
03-13-2014, 08:51 PM
Indiana was playoff tested for years battling against CLE and CHI with a very young squads and they finally mad noise last year. Future is bright for you guys tho.

That's what I'm alluding to. Our young guys need to develop and gain experience. If we want we can always trade our players for youth, we don't have to be terrible to get youth anymore with the value our players are building for themselves.

gwrighter
03-13-2014, 08:55 PM
People talk about how bad the east is yet Chicago is beating a western conference contender (Houston) by 26 points.

TorontoHuskies
03-13-2014, 08:58 PM
Great player + Lakers = $$$$$$$$$$$

The NBA doesn't care about meaning, they care about $$. When the Lakers are good, its good for the NBA & they know it. They would much rather the Lakers be good than the Raptors.

How do you think the Lakers got to where they are? by constantly getting good players..there's no reason Toronto couldn't be a franchise like the Lakers eventually if they started getting all the top Canadian players, but it has to start somewhere. Also, don't give me that Lakers history BS because Basketball was invented by someone from Ontario and the first NBA game ever was played right here in Toronto (Toronto had a team before the Lakers even existed).

TorontoHuskies
03-13-2014, 09:03 PM

What are you smoking Wiggins is big time do you even watch him? Or are you one of those guys who forms their opinion based on one game at the beginning of the season? I know you're trying to stick up for the Raptors decisions because nobody likes it when their franchise is being run poorly but there's no doubt Wiggins is going to be great in the NBA.

gwrighter
03-13-2014, 09:06 PM
How do you think the Lakers got to where they are? by constantly getting good players..there's no reason Toronto couldn't be a franchise like the Lakers eventually if they started getting all the top Canadian players, but it has to start somewhere. Also, don't give me that Lakers history BS because Basketball was invented by someone from Ontario and the first NBA game ever was played right here in Toronto (Toronto had a team before the Lakers even existed).

For so many reasons the NBA doesn't want to make the Raptors into the Lakers. I could write an essay on your post but the simple thing is that LA makes more money for the NBA then the Raps. Until the entire country of Canada embraces the Raps the NBA won't care about us like they do the Lakers. How many years do you think that would take? 20? 30 IF we're lucky. Many people in Canada don't give a crap about ball & even less the Raps. While basketball is growing its popularity is not significant enough at the moment.

gwrighter
03-13-2014, 09:09 PM
What are you smoking Wiggins is big time do you even watch him? Or are you one of those guys who forms their opinion based on one game at the beginning of the season? I know you're trying to stick up for the Raptors decisions because nobody likes it when their franchise is being run poorly but there's no doubt Wiggins is going to be great in the NBA.

Wiggins is so big time that he's not even a lock for #1 in this draft. If Wiggins asked you to wash his underwear would you do it?

TorontoHuskies
03-13-2014, 09:32 PM
Wiggins is so big time that he's not even a lock for #1 in this draft. If Wiggins asked you to wash his underwear would you do it?

Naturally, and yea he is a lock unless there is a really dumb GM out there.

gwrighter
03-13-2014, 09:33 PM
I rest my case.

Raps18-19 Champ
03-13-2014, 09:40 PM
They were better off tanking if the team wanted to actually go somewhere with a clear cut direction. But can't blame the players for taking advantage of a weak conference.

bucketss
03-13-2014, 09:45 PM

no, but he would probably do it for bennet :p

All-In
03-13-2014, 09:53 PM

Him not being a lock to be number 1 doesn't make him a lesser player for it…Emiid, Wiggins and Parker all justifiably could go number 1…there great!….Durant wasn’t a lock to go number 1 overall going into the draft…was he a lesser player for it?

KnicksorBust
03-13-2014, 09:54 PM

Yes we're in very bad shape moving forward...Lowry could walk and we just threw our chance at a franchise player out the window because our GM failed to tank properly (he tried but it backfired). There are a lot of stupid/impatient Raptor fans on this forum who will debate this but they really don't see the big picture so it's useless arguing with them.

This is what I was alluding to...

Lowry's great season is a double-edged sword because you either lose him and all the momentum of this season or you commit long-term to a player coming off a career year who might be overpaid and command a much higher peecentage of your cap then you would want... then you are looking at re-signing Demar to a big deal and suddenly you are capped out Atlanta Hawks style. Jonas V developing can make or break this teams future.

TorontoHuskies
03-13-2014, 09:55 PM
For so many reasons the NBA doesn't want to make the Raptors into the Lakers. I could write an essay on your post but the simple thing is that LA makes more money for the NBA then the Raps. Until the entire country of Canada embraces the Raps the NBA won't care about us like they do the Lakers. How many years do you think that would take? 20? 30 IF we're lucky. Many people in Canada don't give a crap about ball & even less the Raps. While basketball is growing its popularity is not significant enough at the moment.

Basically everything you said is exactly why Raptors need Wiggins. The only guy who could make Canada a basketball country is Wiggins. If Toronto got him and won a title or two with him who knows how big that would be for basketball here (even if they didn't it would be huge). By your logic Toronto shouldn't try because it will take too long...I'd hate to think where the Lakers would be if they shared that attitude and every-time they saw a huge opportunity they just said **** it we'll never be the Knicks or Celtics so why bother? Growth doesn't happen by sitting on your *** doing nothing.. Wiggins and the up-rise of talent in Canada only exists because of Carter and the NBA knows that...Don't you think it's in their best interest to give Wiggins to Toronto to further this growth in Canada and produce even more stars for the NBA (i.e $$$$$$$)? It's basically like finding oil in one spot and choosing not to drill locations around it. Also, don't act like Wiggins wouldn't make a ****load of money for the NBA here too.

gwrighter
03-13-2014, 10:00 PM
Him not being a lock to be number 1 doesn't make him a lesser player for it…Emiid, Wiggins and Parker all justifiably could go number 1…there great!….Durant wasn’t a lock to go number 1 overall going into the draft…was he a lesser player for it?

If Wiggins was putting up 26 & 11 in college then maybe you'd have a point but he isn't so I don't see how we can even compare the two at the moment. Durant wasn't a lock at #1 but he was a better prospect than Wiggins that's for sure.

gwrighter
03-13-2014, 10:11 PM
Basically everything you said is exactly why Raptors need Wiggins. The only guy who could make Canada a basketball country is Wiggins. If Toronto got him and won a title or two with him who knows how big that would be for basketball here (even if they didn't it would be huge). By your logic Toronto shouldn't try because it will take too long...I'd hate to think where the Lakers would be if they shared that attitude and every-time they saw a huge opportunity they just said **** it we'll never be the Knicks or Celtics so why bother? Growth doesn't happen by sitting on your *** doing nothing.. Wiggins and the up-rise of talent in Canada only exists because of Carter and the NBA knows that...Don't you think it's in their best interest to give Wiggins to Toronto to further this growth in Canada and produce even more stars for the NBA (i.e $$$$$$$)? It's basically like finding oil in one spot and choosing not to drill locations around it. Also, don't act like Wiggins wouldn't make a ****load of money for the NBA here too.

We're going to have a chance at Wiggins when he hits FA so it doesn't matter if we draft him or not. I don't know why you're so obsessed with drafting him. We actually have a better chance at getting him in FA then we do drafting him in a year with so many abysmal teams. My logic is that we don't need to draft him. He's from Toronto so we have a good chance of getting him in FA unlike every other potential superstar.

You don't understand how the NBA business works LA is the safer bet for the NBA then Toronto is. There is already an existing fan base, brand goodwill & distribution channels set up to cater to that specific market. Fact is more Canadian kids are going to play basketball whether Wiggins is on the Raps or not so it doesn't matter to the NBA if he's on the Raps.

We're not getting Wiggins this season, get over it.

dalton749
03-13-2014, 10:31 PM

Lowry's great season is a double-edged sword because you either lose him and all the momentum of this season or you commit long-term to a player coming off a career year who might be overpaid and command a much higher peecentage of your cap then you would want... then you are looking at re-signing Demar to a big deal and suddenly you are capped out Atlanta Hawks style. Jonas V developing can make or break this teams future.

wasnt trying to bait you earlier i like the knicks but their situation is screwed lol
lowry wont get over 9 mil and demar got his new deal already. it started this year and its 9.5 mil a year for 4 years which is a bargain for a 22/4/4 guy

All-In
03-13-2014, 10:37 PM
If Wiggins was putting up 26 & 11 in college then maybe you'd have a point but he isn't so I don't see how we can even compare the two at the moment. Durant wasn't a lock at #1 but he was a better prospect than Wiggins that's for sure.

But that’s not the point….not being a lock to go number 1 doesn’t make you any less of a player…that’s the point

gwrighter
03-13-2014, 10:44 PM
But that’s not the point….not being a lock to go number 1 doesn’t make you any less of a player…that’s the point

Considering Wiggins was supposed to be a lock to go #1 and now he isn't yeah I think we can say that it does make him less of a player than expected. It's not like other players played out of their minds & took him down, he just wasn't as good as we thought he was.

TorontoHuskies
03-13-2014, 10:48 PM

Durant took 18.5 FGpg (5.8 3's).....Wiggins takes 11.8 FGpg (3.6 3's)

5.8 (Durant 3ptFGA) x .345 (Wiggins 3%) = 2.001 (Wiggins 3p made per gm) x 3= 6pts off 3pointer
18.5-5.8 = 12.7 (Durant 2pt FGA) x .50 (Wiggins 2pt%) x2 = 12.7 off 2pointers
35.9-32.2 (Durant- Wiggins PT) =3.7/32.2 (difference/Wiggins PT)=.11491 x 6.5 (FTA) = .7469 + 6.5 = 7.2469 (FTA/GM using Durant's PT) x .765 (Wiggins FTM) = 5.5438 off Free throws

+6 +12.7+ 5.5438 = 24.24 ppg If Wiggins shot and played as much as Durant in College*

* Hope I did that right...Then add to the fact that Wiggins is playing in what's considered to be the toughest schedule in 20 years for any team and has been a much better defender than he was.

Basically Wiggins is a team player who plays in a system that doesn't utilize SF's very well (Big Man system). The reason why he's scoring so much right now is because Embiid is out and their whole system revolved around him forcing them to make Wiggins the man.

DallasTrilla23
03-13-2014, 11:10 PM

Thread*

smith&wesson
03-13-2014, 11:19 PM
We're going to have a chance at Wiggins when he hits FA so it doesn't matter if we draft him or not. I don't know why you're so obsessed with drafting him. We actually have a better chance at getting him in FA then we do drafting him in a year with so many abysmal teams. My logic is that we don't need to draft him. He's from Toronto so we have a good chance of getting him in FA unlike every other potential superstar.

You don't understand how the NBA business works LA is the safer bet for the NBA then Toronto is. There is already an existing fan base, brand goodwill & distribution channels set up to cater to that specific market. Fact is more Canadian kids are going to play basketball whether Wiggins is on the Raps or not so it doesn't matter to the NBA if he's on the Raps.

plus by then, we'll know just how good he is in the nba..

TorontoHuskies
03-13-2014, 11:23 PM
plus by then, we'll know just how good he is in the nba..

He'll probably be winning championships by then if he goes to LA or Boston...we'll never get him if he's winning.

smith&wesson
03-13-2014, 11:42 PM
He'll probably be winning championships by then if he goes to LA or Boston...we'll never get him if he's winning.

All I'm saying is you cant put all your eggs in one basket.. some times you have to think about your season ticket holders before you drag your franchise through the mud for a risk. what if he busts ? or becomes injury prone like oden ? or even worse, what if you tank and don't even get him in the draft ??

I wonder how those 76ers season ticket holders are feeling right now watching their team lose 17 in a row. do you think we could have "out tanked" them ?? a lot of teams are taking that route this year. tanking this year would be like competing with other teams to be the worst. A lot of them are doing it. Celtics, Bucks, Lakers, Kings, 76ers, Magic, etc. do the raptors really want to compete with those team to be the worst ? is that a competition you want our young players to go through?

tanking is a gm saying "alright we give up, lets be the worst team and try to get talent".. I would hire a monkey to be my gm if that was the plan.

ink
03-14-2014, 01:35 AM

Astute observation IMO.

dalton749
03-14-2014, 02:06 AM
lowry isnt going anywhere
he wants to be a starter, and he wants to win
hes not gunna get that anywhere else

selassi3
03-14-2014, 02:46 AM
People are always going to make excuses, and everyone always believes their right. The team is winning, and I see a bright future for the organization. Let's be honest how many of you really watch Raptor games? But yet half will have foolishness to say. The facts are there, they beat some really good teams, from the WEST too,Memphis,Dallas, OKC, Golden State, and the weak EAST Brooklyn, Indy. AND don't give me the east is weak nonsense because at the start of the year every team in the EAST was probably projected ahead of the Craptors. Knicks/Nets/Bulls/Cavs/Wizards/Celtics/Hawks. They definitely are not a complete puzzle, but the evolution is evident, and with Masai leading the way the future is bright. Keep hating yall,

- Toronto City
....Keep
..........Sleeping.

Quinnsanity
03-14-2014, 02:54 AM
If the 3/6 series holds at Toronto vs. Brooklyn it'll be very interesting. The Nets are 23-9 in 2014.

John Walls Era
03-14-2014, 03:03 AM
lowry isnt going anywhere
he wants to be a starter, and he wants to win
hes not gunna get that anywhere else

No one says no to more $

Sadds The Gr8
03-14-2014, 03:30 AM
FWIW Rose only averaged 15 pts/4.7 asts (compared to Beasley's 28pts/12rebs) and was seen as the sure #1 pick...for Freshmen it's more of an eyetest thing

I don't know how you can assume that. It's so far ahead in the future and you don't know what the state of the Raptors will be then. If the franchise is a mess, he probably won't care to come here (like Lebron's slim chances of going back to Cleveland, and Dwight not even caring to go to ATL this year)

pebloemer
03-14-2014, 06:41 AM
If the 3/6 series holds at Toronto vs. Brooklyn it'll be very interesting. The Nets are 23-9 in 2014.

Chicago has been crazy good since the new year as well. It will be very interesting to see how the first round matchups shake out. There will definitely be at least one will good first round series in the East. Depending on how Washington plays out the season, they could make it two really interesting first rounds.

TorontoHuskies
03-14-2014, 09:06 AM

i'd love this series...The east is so poor this year and I want the Raptors to be tested it's boring watching them beat up on scrubs (like 70% of the east) that are tanking.

gwrighter
03-14-2014, 10:51 AM
FWIW Rose only averaged 15 pts/4.7 asts (compared to Beasley's 28pts/12rebs) and was seen as the sure #1 pick...for Freshmen it's more of an eyetest thing

But for Wiggins the eye test backs up that while he looks like an all-star in the making those notions of "next LBJ" are unwarranted.

I don't know how you can assume that. It's so far ahead in the future and you don't know what the state of the Raptors will be then. If the franchise is a mess, he probably won't care to come here (like Lebron's slim chances of going back to Cleveland, and Dwight not even caring to go to ATL this year)

The point is that we'll have a chance, whether we make good on that chance or not is still an uncertainty. Same thing if we went the route of tanking it would still be uncertain whether or not we get to land him. Either way we have more control over our destiny trying to get him in FA then we do through the lottery.

TorontoHuskies
03-14-2014, 11:34 AM
But for Wiggins the eye test backs up that while he looks like an all-star in the making those notions of "next LBJ" are unwarranted.

The point is that we'll have a chance, whether we make good on that chance or not is still an uncertainty. Same thing if we went the route of tanking it would still be uncertain whether or not we get to land him. Either way we have more control over our destiny trying to get him in FA then we do through the lottery.

Yea your right they're unwarranted because comparing people is stupid to begin with....He won't be the Next Lebron, Durant or Jordan he'll be the next Wiggins and be amazing like each of those mentioned... Also, no offense but weren't you/aren't you one of those guys who thinks Valuncunias has the potential to be a top 5 C?

ghettosean
03-14-2014, 12:08 PM
Yea your right they're unwarranted because comparing people is stupid to begin with....He won't be the Next Lebron, Durant or Jordan he'll be the next Wiggins and be amazing like each of those mentioned... Also, no offense but weren't you/aren't you one of those guys who thinks Valuncunias has the potential to be a top 5 C?

J Val does have the potential to be a top 5 C... Just like I think Ross can be a superstar in this league... Both players have shown flashes and it's just there 2nd year no need to crucify these kids. I thought even before the start of the season that it would take another year for the 2 of them to put it all together and I have no reason to change my mind on this. The playoffs will help them grow up a little more and figure things out.... I do agree with you on the tank though and wish that we went full out for the tank this year to get a lotto pick and add that one more special piece but I won't say I'm disappointed with what we have now. They are flat out playing great basketball on both ends of the floor but especially defensively. I think they will be much scarier next year lotto pick or not depending on what happens with Lowry in free agency.

LanceUpperCut
03-14-2014, 12:12 PM

Why the hell not? He's a 21 year old center who's played euro ball his whole life, starting on a winning team that's top 10 in defense.

RipCity32
03-14-2014, 12:59 PM
Raptors have really surprised me this year. Lowry is a beast and they just play well as a team. Ross is the one that intrigues me the most though, If he can start to create his own shot at a effective rate then he could become a star. He's already one of the better 3&D players in the league in my opinion. Val has a nice skillset as well but I don't know how high is ceiling will be with the lack of athleticism he has. I can't ever see him being a top 5 center like some Raptor fans have said because he doesn't really seem to be above average at anything as far as what big men do but he will be solid.

TorontoHuskies
03-14-2014, 01:05 PM

Why the hell not? He's a 21 year old center who's played euro ball his whole life, starting on a winning team that's top 10 in defense.

He's god awful on defense (which is why he rarely plays at the ends of games) and has like 2 moves on offense (15 pump fake 1-way drive, and short jump shot). Sure his offense can improve but he's not mobile enough on Defense to ever be a top 5 C (his bball IQ is pretty low too) .

TorontoHuskies
03-14-2014, 01:08 PM
Raptors have really surprised me this year. Lowry is a beast and they just play well as a team. Ross is the one that intrigues me the most though, If he can start to create his own shot at a effective rate then he could become a star. He's already one of the better 3&D players in the league in my opinion. Val has a nice skillset as well but I don't know how high is ceiling will be with the lack of athleticism he has. I can't ever see him being a top 5 center like some Raptor fans have said because he doesn't really seem to be above average at anything as far as what big men do but he will be solid.

especially with guys like Embiid, Jahlil Okafor,and Thon Maker,etc coming in.

John Walls Era
03-14-2014, 01:16 PM

Its not difficult to have potential to be a top 5 C in this league...

gwrighter
03-14-2014, 01:34 PM

According to you Wiggins is the next GOAT comparable to Michael Jordan & LBJ LOL. :speechless:

Yeah I am that guy & he's well on his way to being a top 5 C in the league. Compare his sophomore #'s with Hibbert or Noah's & he's right on track.

You're the guy that said that Xavier Rathan-Mayes was better than Tyler Ennis, lol.

Sadds The Gr8
03-14-2014, 01:43 PM

those "next lbj or mj" comparisons are always stupid and I don't pay attention to them. I was disappointed in him earlier too but I don't know if u have been watching lately but he's been awesome. If he continues this play in the tournament there's no doubt he should go #1. I think jabari is the one getting overrated now, ppl are still acting like he's way better than Wiggins

bucketss
03-14-2014, 02:05 PM

he has good athleticism hes just not a freak athlete like some want him to be.

gwrighter
03-14-2014, 02:10 PM
those "next lbj or mj" comparisons are always stupid and I don't pay attention to them. I was disappointed in him earlier too but I don't know if u have been watching lately but he's been awesome. If he continues this play in the tournament there's no doubt he should go #1. I think jabari is the one getting overrated now, ppl are still acting like he's way better than Wiggins

He has been great the past 2 games and it's been amazing to see him perform. & I agree Jabari has fallen off more than Wiggins recently.

John Walls Era
03-14-2014, 02:16 PM
He has been great the past 2 games and it's been amazing to see him perform. & I agree Jabari has fallen off more than Wiggins recently.

The draft stocks really change after the next 2 weeks

TorontoHuskies
03-14-2014, 02:18 PM
According to you Wiggins is the next GOAT comparable to Michael Jordan & LBJ LOL. :speechless:

Yeah I am that guy & he's well on his way to being a top 5 C in the league. Compare his sophomore #'s with Hibbert or Noah's & he's right on track.

You're the guy that said that Xavier Rathan-Mayes was better than Tyler Ennis, lol.

Yes I am saying Wiggins has the potential to be the next GOAT. Also, no I'm not saying he's the next LBJ or Jordan, i'm saying he'll be the next great player and like Jordan, James, Durant,etc his game will be unique but great.

Ennis/Mayes comparison that may still be true. I like Ennis but I think a lot of his weaknesses could be hidden by the Syracuse Zone.

ChickenSouvlaki
03-14-2014, 02:37 PM
I agree that the Raps would likely be on the outside looking in if they were in the West, but they also werent the team they are now until the trade went down.

If they had the team they have now all season I think they could be a 7/8 seed type team out west.

sanjay_prick
03-14-2014, 05:00 PM
^ I also think that the decision of whether to tank or not after the Rudy trade would have been clearer if the Raps were in the West. For example, come the trade deadline, if the Raps were outside a playoff spot, know that Lowry would've been traded for sure for future assets. If they were in the West, this team would look very different at this point in the season.

dalton749
03-14-2014, 09:29 PM
another big raps win against a west bubble team

gwrighter
03-14-2014, 09:40 PM
another big raps win against a west bubble team

But the Raps are only good because they're in the East! :rolleyes:

Edit: Raptors are 12-7 against the West since the trade.

zn23
03-14-2014, 11:07 PM
Raptors are looking really strong right now. That was a very impressive performance over Memphis. Obviously the farthest they can go is the 2nd round. But they are heading in the right direction.

Imagine if they kept Rudy Gay... They would probably be fighting for the 8th seed in the East.

Deadpool
03-14-2014, 11:40 PM
They are good.....honestly it feels like they've got a shot to beat any team in the regular season...playoffs are a different story though. Second Round Team IMO.

mnatiq
03-15-2014, 12:02 AM
yes very happy for them. They are playing some good ball right now. I think best they do is 2nd round this season but if they can resign lowry (MOST UNDERRATED PG) they will be a really good team as they develop more and add some better FA's.

Eventually the better FA's will come as they start to win.

FriedTofuz
03-15-2014, 12:39 AM
To people saying this team wouldnt make the playoffs in the western conference:
Do you watch them play? Yes it's a weak conference, but they've beaten and compeated hard against the NBA's Elite. They've beaten potential 8th seed teams like the Grizzlies, Mavs, Wolves, And Warriors. They've beaten OKC, and Indiana and battled hard against improved bulls, nets and blazer teams.
Saying that this team wouldnt make it in the western conference is like saying Miami wouldnt even have the 4th seed in the west..
So I must tell you all, To fix your ignorance and watch before you state stupidity. That is all.

FriedTofuz
03-15-2014, 12:42 AM
Yes I am saying Wiggins has the potential to be the next GOAT. Also, no I'm not saying he's the next LBJ or Jordan, i'm saying he'll be the next great player and like Jordan, James, Durant,etc his game will be unique but great.

Ennis/Mayes comparison that may still be true. I like Ennis but I think a lot of his weaknesses could be hidden by the Syracuse Zone.

Okay, this is ignorance at it's finest. He has potential to be an all star and MVP candidate if he is consistent with expectations, but to saythe GOAT? DUDE. YOU. DONT. KNOW . NOR WATCH. NOR . PLAY. BASKETBALL>

The amount of ignorance in this one statement baffles me.

RipCity32
03-15-2014, 12:52 AM
Theyre legit, Had they had this lineup all season they would probably be close to battling Miami for the 2 seed. I still cant see them getting past the 2nd round but they will still put up a tough series with anyone right now.

FriedTofuz
03-15-2014, 12:57 AM
The scary part about the raptors is the fact that Ross and Valancuinas are super young, they're second year players, this team has cap space and draft picks moving forward.

RipCity32
03-15-2014, 01:02 AM
The scary part about the raptors is the fact that Ross and Valancuinas are super young, they're second year players, this team has cap space and draft picks moving forward.

The main piece though is Lowry. But He seems happy there and may finally feel like hes found a home. Kinda like a Billups and Pistons situation. So I dont see him leaving

FriedTofuz
03-15-2014, 01:20 AM
The main piece though is Lowry. But He seems happy there and may finally feel like hes found a home. Kinda like a Billups and Pistons situation. So I dont see him leaving
I think him and Casey work well together, and I do remember those days when billups bounced around, he was even a raptor in his time! Hopefully he does stay and continues to grow withthis team, his leadership is a big reason for why this team is successful.

FriedTofuz
03-15-2014, 12:13 PM
bump

John Walls Era
03-15-2014, 02:29 PM
Did I just read Wiggins potential GOAT???

I get hes Canadian, but how can you tell based on this year? Sometimes he doesn't show up and its really not until Embiid went down that he stepped it up (2 games).

TorontoHuskies
03-15-2014, 05:22 PM
Okay, this is ignorance at it's finest. He has potential to be an all star and MVP candidate if he is consistent with expectations, but to saythe GOAT? DUDE. YOU. DONT. KNOW . NOR WATCH. NOR . PLAY. BASKETBALL>

The amount of ignorance in this one statement baffles me.

Actually, i'm all the above and i'm betting i'm a better player than everyone on this forum too.

John Walls Era
03-15-2014, 05:26 PM
u got us there.

TorontoHuskies
03-15-2014, 05:37 PM
Did I just read Wiggins potential GOAT???

I get hes Canadian, but how can you tell based on this year? Sometimes he doesn't show up and its really not until Embiid went down that he stepped it up (2 games).

I said Potential...He possesses everything that great players have (Length, vertical, quickness, defense, etc) and he also has the quickest second jump i've ever seen which gives him a unique ability over past greats. So in terms of potential why not? If he puts the work in and puts himself in the right environment to win there's no reason this guy couldn't be the next great player.

gwrighter
03-15-2014, 06:21 PM
I said Potential...He possesses everything that great players have (Length, vertical, quickness, defense, etc) and he also has the quickest second jump i've ever seen which gives him a unique ability over past greats. So in terms of potential why not? If he puts the work in and puts himself in the right environment to win there's no reason this guy couldn't be the next great player.

There have been many players that have possessed the desired GOAT traits but have fallen short or fallen flat on their faces.

albertajaysfan
03-15-2014, 07:16 PM
Seriously what the **** does that guy know about me? I've never met him before in my life and he's trying to tell me I don't play ball **** him.

Stop acting like you are better than everyone else and people won't respond in that manner towards you.

FriedTofuz
03-15-2014, 10:55 PM
To the huskies guy, Honestly man.. I dont understand how you can evaluate wiggins potential to be better than MJ. You dont support your ludacrit statements with anyhting other than bold opinions. You continually **** on people and players and boast about yourself. Also, you`re not making yourself look any better when you say `I`m better than everyone on this forum`Really now, have you witnessed every person who`s played on this forum.. No you havent. There are actually ex-ncaa players from the raptors forum, are you in the ncaa, no you`re not. Therefore you cant even say you`re better than everyone on this site. Dude just get over yourself.

NBA_Starter
03-15-2014, 10:59 PM
10 games over .500 now very impressive!

FriedTofuz
03-15-2014, 11:03 PM
10 games over .500 now very impressive!

It`lll really say a lot more if theyre able to beat a good suns team right now . we shall see tmrw!

John Walls Era
03-15-2014, 11:06 PM
To the huskies guy, Honestly man.. I dont understand how you can evaluate wiggins potential to be better than MJ. You dont support your ludacrit statements with anyhting other than bold opinions. You continually **** on people and players and boast about yourself. Also, you`re not making yourself look any better when you say `I`m better than everyone on this forum`Really now, have you witnessed every person who`s played on this forum.. No you havent. There are actually ex-ncaa players from the raptors forum, are you in the ncaa, no you`re not. Therefore you cant even say you`re better than everyone on this site. Dude just get over yourself.

Div 3?

FriedTofuz
03-15-2014, 11:21 PM
Div 3?

nah one is actually Div 1, my highschool coach, he never uses his account anymore

FriedTofuz
03-15-2014, 11:22 PM
lmao who are you to talk you just said I didn't play ball when you don't know anything about me ****ing hypocrite.

I'm simply saying you cant justify what you're claiming, you said " I'm better than everyone else on this forum" ALso if you're so good, you wouldnt waste your time and get agitated over something someone said online. Come on Now, let's get back on topic.

Baltoro
03-15-2014, 11:29 PM
This thread is devolving into a giant pissing contest regarding Wiggins. Lets keep it positive, guys.

Anyways, regarding the Raps. Its been a great season. I still think its a bit of Fool's Gold though. This team would have significantly different results without Lowry. The team feeds off of his play. He sets the tone every night. And with so much speculation about his free agency this year and Toronto's history with athletes who bolt at contracts end I can't see sustained success in the future without him. I'm hoping I'm wrong but meantime I'll enjoy the ride while it lasts.

Depending on how the East seeding's shake out I don't think it's a huge stretch for a 2nd round playoff appearance this year.

TorontoHuskies
03-16-2014, 12:01 AM
This thread is devolving into a giant pissing contest regarding Wiggins. Lets keep it positive, guys.

Anyways, regarding the Raps. Its been a great season. I still think its a bit of Fool's Gold though. This team would have significantly different results without Lowry. The team feeds off of his play. He sets the tone every night. And with so much speculation about his free agency this year and Toronto's history with athletes who bolt at contracts end I can't see sustained success in the future without him. I'm hoping I'm wrong but meantime I'll enjoy the ride while it lasts.

Depending on how the East seeding's shake out I don't think it's a huge stretch for a 2nd round playoff appearance this year.

Correct me if i'm wrong but wouldn't Kyle Lowry basically be Toronto's biggest FA signing in History?

dalton749
03-16-2014, 03:06 PM
Correct me if i'm wrong but wouldn't Kyle Lowry basically be Toronto's biggest FA signing in History?

this is embarrassing lol

pebloemer
03-16-2014, 04:59 PM

The situations are different because they were finishing their rookie scales when they did it, but Carter and Bosh both signed deals after their rookie scales. And you really can't dismiss the Mike James era so easily.

albertajaysfan
03-16-2014, 05:13 PM

Depends on your criteria.

Largest free agent contract signed was Hedo (non bird rights)
Pretty sure Bosh or Carter would be the highest $ amount for a contract

Considering Lowry would be signed using bird rights in my opinion he shouldn't be considered a free agent signing.

TorontoHuskies
03-16-2014, 05:51 PM
Depends on your criteria.

Largest free agent contract signed was Hedo (non bird rights)
Pretty sure Bosh or Carter would be the highest $ amount for a contract

Considering Lowry would be signed using bird rights in my opinion he shouldn't be considered a free agent signing.

I mean like talent wise I don't think the Raptors have ever signed anyone of Lowry's level before. Also, Weren't Bosh and Carter RFA's not UFA's?