PDA

View Full Version : The Ideal Playoff Layout

Shammyguy3
03-10-2014, 10:28 PM
I am constantly debating ideas with myself on what the most ideal playoff structure is. I go back and forth between "the best 16 teams make the playoffs" and the current structure of top-8 teams in each conference. Furthermore, I constantly wonder what other ways the playoffs could be improved upon.

Another great debate involves the first round format - best of 7 games, or best of 5? This year more than ever the conferences are utter opposites: having a best of 5 series for the first round would hinder great potential series in the West, whereas a best of 7 series in the East will seemingly prolong the inevitable for contending teams.

And that brings me to something I've thought of for quite awhile but I have yet to read another poster on this site express similar thoughts. Recently people have debated the finals format of 2-3-2 and 2-2-1-1-1 ... I'd like to bring up a potentially new idea: what about a best of 9-game series (for the finals only)? Who wouldn't be opposed to this? What would be the negatives for expanding the finals? Etc etc.

In short, give a brief explanation of what your ideal TOTAL playoff format would be:
1) what teams deserve to make it in
2) how many games should be played per series in each specific round
3) what are pros/cons for changing the finals to a best of 9? ... what would the finals structure be if it were changed to a best of 9? overall, would expanding it be beneficial or detrimental in your personal opinion?

Hawkeye15
03-10-2014, 10:56 PM
Get rid of conference, the east has sucked way too long.

Top 16 teams get in.

First round is best of 5. 2-2-1.

Every round after is best of 7. 2-2-1-1-1.

Shammyguy3
03-10-2014, 11:17 PM
What are your thoughts on a best of 9-game format for the finals?

Hawkeye15
03-11-2014, 01:11 AM

7 is already long enough.

Chronz
03-11-2014, 01:22 AM

Trying to ensure the best team wins?

Hawkeye15
03-11-2014, 02:05 AM

7 games is already enough, and why the NBA is different from the NCAA. The HUGE majority of the time, the better team wins an NBA series. Not so much in the NCAA's.

abe_froman
03-11-2014, 02:11 AM

9? hell no,thats way to long...7 is too long already with all the off days during the series.

even though the east usually sucks and better west teams go without,i'd probably keep it the way it is,i like there being some separation/rivalry between conferences in sports

Shammyguy3
03-11-2014, 11:01 AM

Of course. Like others have said, 7 games isn't short or anything. I've never thought that fans were cheated out of the best possible series with 7 games, but i'm wondering if it were a best of 9 would people be more satisfied with declaring the outcome valid?

Take for example the Heat vs Mavs in 2006. Many people feel that Dallas choked that series away. If it were 9 games, meaning Miami had to win an additional game to be crowned, would fans be more convinced that the better team won as opposed to a choke-job? Same goes for the Heat vs Mavs in 2011: would MIA be able to come back after allegedly "choking" up the lead in the series if there was an additional game to be won by Dallas?

If the only gripe with a 9-game series is it being too long, then I don't think the idea is that bad

Greet
03-11-2014, 12:05 PM

Top 16 teams get in.

Getting rid of conferences would lose the NBA so much money.

Shammyguy3
03-11-2014, 12:32 PM
How would it do that?

2-ONE-5
03-11-2014, 12:34 PM
best of 9 seriously?

beasted86
03-11-2014, 12:40 PM

Top 16 teams get in.

The west coast fans say that now, but aren't willing to be forced to sneak to watch/listen games while you are still at work at 4:00PM.

You want East coast teams travelling and putting up with all those issues AND you want the games starting in your off work times.

NoahH
03-11-2014, 12:46 PM
I think the best idea would be 3 division winners get an automatic berth in top 3 regardless of record then the next 10 teams would be seeded via wildcard. Therefore the seeding would look like this:

1 San Antonio
2 Indiana
3 Miami
4 OKC
5 LA Clippers
6 Toronto
7 Houston
8 Portland
9 GS
10 Dallas
11 Memphis
12 Phoenix
13 Chicago
14 Washington
15 Brooklyn
16 Minnesota

Best of 7 is good otherwise

beasted86
03-11-2014, 12:48 PM

Yup.

A lot of fans will be at work while games are starting, or turning the tv off and falling asleep.

Means less attendance, less tv ratings, all with increased travel costs.

Some day you guys need to realize that a sucky west/east team doesn't "deserve"anything.

Shammyguy3
03-11-2014, 01:44 PM
best of 9 seriously?

I've never seen it suggested before :shrug: if your rhetorical question is all you have to discuss then by all means don't discuss the probable pros & cons to the idea

I think the best idea would be 3 division winners get an automatic berth in top 3 regardless of record then the next 10 teams would be seeded via wildcard. Therefore the seeding would look like this:

1 San Antonio
2 Indiana
3 Miami
4 OKC
5 LA Clippers
6 Toronto
7 Houston
8 Portland
9 GS
10 Dallas
11 Memphis
12 Phoenix
13 Chicago
14 Washington
15 Brooklyn
16 Minnesota

Best of 7 is good otherwise

I haven't seen this idea before, but it makes a lot of sense. You do away with the conferences but still maintain division prowess, making it all more important for you to be better in your division than the other teams. That also mitigates the possibilities of worse teams making it into the playoffs too

abe_froman
03-11-2014, 01:56 PM
I've never seen it suggested before :shrug: if your rhetorical question is all you have to discuss then by all means don't discuss the probable pros & cons to the idea

because it was tried in the early days of other sports(mlb)

7 is good because its an ideal balance between a long enough series to help ensure best team wins and to prevent "playoff fatigue"(players will be upset from being run into the ground and fans would become more disinterested in following the series as each game carries less importance)

Hawkeye15
03-11-2014, 01:58 PM

how?

Pierzynski4Prez
03-11-2014, 01:59 PM
I'd like to see the 1st round go back to a best of 5. Change the finals to 2-2-1-1-1. That's about it.

7 games or 9 games, the better team is still going to win the series.

Hawkeye15
03-11-2014, 02:00 PM
The west coast fans say that now, but aren't willing to be forced to sneak to watch/listen games while you are still at work at 4:00PM.

You want East coast teams travelling and putting up with all those issues AND you want the games starting in your off work times.

I am central time, I could care less. I get that the coast fans would care, but why would I, especially when my team would benefit greatly from it...

It sucks watching laughing stocks make the playoffs out east, and good team miss the playoffs out west. Time for some kind of a change. Keep the conferences, fine, but the playoff format should ignore them.

Shammyguy3
03-11-2014, 02:55 PM
because it was tried in the early days of other sports(mlb)

I didn't know that

7 is good because its an ideal balance between a long enough series to help ensure best team wins and to prevent "playoff fatigue"(players will be upset from being run into the ground and fans would become more disinterested in following the series as each game carries less importance)

If you shorten the first round to a best of 5, you eliminate at least one game. Add that eliminated game from the early round to the finals, and you're at 8 total games. So one more game to make it a best of 9 wouldn't increase player fatigue, especially considering the time off between games.

I also don't think fans would get disinterested in the finals, that's crazy talk to me

I'd like to see the 1st round go back to a best of 5. Change the finals to 2-2-1-1-1. That's about it.

7 games or 9 games, the better team is still going to win the series.

The league changed the finals format to that for this season and onward

I am central time, I could care less. I get that the coast fans would care, but why would I, especially when my team would benefit greatly from it...

It sucks watching laughing stocks make the playoffs out east, and good team miss the playoffs out west. Time for some kind of a change. Keep the conferences, fine, but the playoff format should ignore them.

The playoffs should always be an accomplishment. There's no such thing as an accomplishment when over half the teams make it.

Hawkeye15
03-11-2014, 03:01 PM
The playoffs should always be an accomplishment. There's no such thing as an accomplishment when over half the teams make it.

Good luck convincing the NBA of that.

abe_froman
03-11-2014, 03:11 PM
If you shorten the first round to a best of 5, you eliminate at least one game. Add that eliminated game from the early round to the finals, and you're at 8 total games. So one more game to make it a best of 9 wouldn't increase player fatigue, especially considering the time off between games.

I also don't think fans would get disinterested in the finals, that's crazy talk to me

i agree that the first round should go back to 5,all the time off drags a series out

and it wouldnt to die-hards,to them(you) there is no such thing as too much basketball...but they makes up only a very small portion of fans.hell if you look at ratings,its hard to keep interest in a 7 game series,the spikes come at the potential series winning games.(though think thats also partly due to all the off time between games stopping any momentum/carry over emotionally from fans).attention spans dont last long in the modern world,we get bored easily and jump to other things the longer things drag out.most people dont even pay that much attention until near the end as it is.

mdm692
03-11-2014, 03:19 PM
No more West vs East. They should just do American Conference or National Conference. do 3 divisions Top 8 teams in each conference advance. Playoffs should be 5x7x7x7(1st round 1-2-2 then for the rest of the playoffs keep it 2-2-1-1-1) with the ASG determining finals HCA. So I guess a combination of what NFL and MLB do with a bit of NBA.

American Conference(change the name if you want)
West
-Lakers
-Suns
-Thunder
-Nuggets
-Jazz

Central
-Rockets
-Grizzlies
-Bulls
-Timberwolves
-Bucks

East
-Knicks
-Raptors
-Pistons
-Bobcats
-Magic

National Conference
West
-Clippers
-Trail Blazers
-Warriors
-Kings
-Mavericks

Central
-Pacers
-Pelicans
-Spurs
-Cavaliers
-Hawks

East
-Heat
-Nets
-Celtics
-76ers
-Wizards

Hows that for parity?

Shammyguy3
03-11-2014, 03:52 PM
Good luck convincing the NBA of that.

I'm hopeful with Adam Silver, he seems to be open to non-traditional ideas

i agree that the first round should go back to 5,all the time off drags a series out

and it wouldnt to die-hards,to them(you) there is no such thing as too much basketball...but they makes up only a very small portion of fans.hell if you look at ratings,its hard to keep interest in a 7 game series,the spikes come at the potential series winning games.(though think thats also partly due to all the off time between games stopping any momentum/carry over emotionally from fans).attention spans dont last long in the modern world,we get bored easily and jump to other things the longer things drag out.most people dont even pay that much attention until near the end as it is.

I could see that happening

No more West vs East. They should just do American Conference or National Conference. do 3 divisions Top 8 teams in each conference advance. Playoffs should be 5x7x7x7(1st round 1-2-2 then for the rest of the playoffs keep it 2-2-1-1-1) with the ASG determining finals HCA. So I guess a combination of what NFL and MLB do with a bit of NBA.

American Conference(change the name if you want)
West
-Lakers
-Suns
-Thunder
-Nuggets
-Jazz

Central
-Rockets
-Grizzlies
-Bulls
-Timberwolves
-Bucks

East
-Knicks
-Raptors
-Pistons
-Bobcats
-Magic

National Conference
West
-Clippers
-Trail Blazers
-Warriors
-Kings
-Mavericks

Central
-Pacers
-Pelicans
-Spurs
-Cavaliers
-Hawks

East
-Heat
-Nets
-Celtics
-76ers
-Wizards

Hows that for parity?

There would parity in today's game, but what about 10 years from now? What if all of the American conference teams suck then? Changing it up like this at best only delays the issue into the future. And no way should the ASG determine HCA... what's wrong with the individual team's best record, honestly?

mdm692
03-11-2014, 05:52 PM
I'm hopeful with Adam Silver, he seems to be open to non-traditional ideas

I could see that happening

There would parity in today's game, but what about 10 years from now? What if all of the American conference teams suck then? Changing it up like this at best only delays the issue into the future. And no way should the ASG determine HCA... what's wrong with the individual team's best record, honestly?
As far as the first question goes you're right and I agree with that just a little idea I was throwing around. But I would like to point out that the west has seemed to always have an abundance of star power and elite match ups and that IMO it is the east that tends to go on droughts of talent which is why mixing up the conferences COULD help. Of course I don't think there's any stat that could prove/disprove my opinion and if there is I welcome it. About the second question I just don't like that the ASG, and ASW as a whole, is a joke with about 2 minutes of defense. Make it meaningful or something. True champions manage to win at home and on the road when it matters anyways.

Shammyguy3
03-11-2014, 06:05 PM
You can't make it meaningful because the teams compiled have nothing to do with regular season standings, nor does the coaching staff get enough time to compile a strategy. And what if Kevin Durant, Chris Paul, and say Dwight Howard, all western conference players, are all injured and will miss time from January to March. Then what? Those are three guys on contending teams that have no say in the outcome of the game, and those players will be replaced with lesser guys.

And there's another problem: you yourself just stated how the West is always abundant in talent with the East lacking. How is it fair to grant HCA to the winner of a conference that has a better group of players, even though say the best team in the league and 2x defending champs is in the west?

Not everything has to mean something. The all-star game is an exhibition for fans. That's it.

mdm692
03-11-2014, 09:01 PM
If my scenario was to take place there wouldn't be any western conference so there's that. And as far as the ASG I'm not the only one who would like to see it more competitive.

Shammyguy3
03-11-2014, 11:26 PM
Brainfart on the conference part. But wanting to see it become more competitive doesn't mean that it has to have a HUGE impact on the greatest series of the season.

Monta is beast
03-12-2014, 04:22 AM
There going to have ads on jerseys I don't want a conference change up to. I think its fine the way it is. the east will be respectable in 2 years..your not going to have a conference differential like the one we have now very often and when it does happen, the draft will help solve it quickly. I think a bigger issue is moving bad market teams..Milwaukee Wisconsin aha should not have a nba team they will never be competitive for more than 5 years.