PDA

View Full Version : Marcin Gortat wants in-game fighting

Hulk6
03-10-2014, 03:44 PM
Washington Wizards center Marcin Gortat, in a Q&A with Kyle Weidie at TrueHoop, was asked which NBA rules he’d change:

I would say I would loosen up a little bit the rules about the fighting fines. That’s what I would loosen up. Because today you go to an ice hockey game, and the one thing they’re waiting for is a fight, you know what I’m saying? So if they could set it up something like that in the NBA. That if there are two guys and they have a problem, if they could just separate everybody. And these two people that have problem, if they could fight …

During the game?

During the game. Quick, 15-20 seconds, throw few punches, then referees jump in and break this thing up. I think the game … these two guys, they resolved their problem. They’re both suspended and they’re leaving. But end of the day, they fix the problem between each other, fans are super excited, and I think that would be a pretty cool idea [chuckles].

Of course Gortat wants to allow fighting. Dude is nicknamed “Hammer.”

In the same interview, he said, if he weren’t playing basketball, he’d be a boxer or a bouncer or something else that involves body-building. Yup, this guy wants to fight.

+1

NYKnickFanatic
03-10-2014, 03:46 PM
http://img.bleacherreport.net/img/images/photos/002/793/405/hi-res-c72e05d105282c998431fff4a64f2f54_crop_north.jpg?w= 630&h=420&q=75

Washington Wizards center Marcin Gortat, in a Q&A with Kyle Weidie at TrueHoop, was asked which NBA rules he’d change:

I would say I would loosen up a little bit the rules about the fighting fines. That’s what I would loosen up. Because today you go to an ice hockey game, and the one thing they’re waiting for is a fight, you know what I’m saying? So if they could set it up something like that in the NBA. That if there are two guys and they have a problem, if they could just separate everybody. And these two people that have problem, if they could fight …

During the game?

During the game. Quick, 15-20 seconds, throw few punches, then referees jump in and break this thing up. I think the game … these two guys, they resolved their problem. They’re both suspended and they’re leaving. But end of the day, they fix the problem between each other, fans are super excited, and I think that would be a pretty cool idea [chuckles].

Of course Gortat wants to allow fighting. Dude is nicknamed “Hammer.”

In the same interview, he said, if he weren’t playing basketball, he’d be a boxer or a bouncer or something else that involves body-building. Yup, this guy wants to fight.

Everyone else? Not so much.

http://probasketballtalk.nbcsports.com/2014/03/10/marcin-gortat-suggests-nba-allow-in-game-player-fights/

:box:

NYKnickFanatic
03-10-2014, 03:46 PM
Dammit.

NYKnickFanatic
03-10-2014, 03:47 PM
Close, merge, etc...

abe_froman
03-10-2014, 03:50 PM
hell yeah!
make it like one of my fav classic bball games,arch rivals

Avenged
03-10-2014, 03:51 PM
Blake Griffin would fight every day then

Heediot
03-10-2014, 04:00 PM
You think Gortat can take on Pekovic?

John Walls Era
03-10-2014, 04:03 PM

Get beat up

CHANGO
03-10-2014, 04:03 PM
I approve this... I guess is bad for the kids watching the games, but you know, this would be good for marketing! UFC, Boxing, 80's, 90's NBA fans returning just to watch... :D

That would be entertaining.

beyourself
03-10-2014, 04:06 PM
Everybody who agrees with this is dumb.

Have any of you actually been in a real barefist fight? 1 clean punch and you are knocked out cold. This isn't a video game, this is real life.

tr3ymill3r
03-10-2014, 04:10 PM
I think we need to set up a bracket of tough guys. I'll be the one to say it before it becomes a race related thread. The media has done a great job at making it appear to be a scuffle or disagreement when white people get into a fight, whereas if black people get into a fight it turns into a race related fight, or gang related, or even hinted at being drug related. It's not right, it's not wrong, but it is what it is and everyone should know by now that is how it will be perceived. I think it would be awesome to see a couple of guys throw down if there was an argument.

tr3ymill3r
03-10-2014, 04:16 PM

Have any of you actually been in a real barefist fight? 1 clean punch and you are knocked out cold. This isn't a video game, this is real life.

This is what people believe that have never been in a fight. If both parties know they are in a fight then there won't be a 1 punch knock out. Put your hands up and protect yourself, now if you're talking about a sucker punch that is completely different, and not considered a fight. Kimbo Slice is not suiting up for any team anytime soon.

Heediot
03-10-2014, 04:19 PM
Get beat up

People sleep on Blake's toughness, I bet he wins more than people think.

Goose17
03-10-2014, 04:21 PM
Anyone who loves this sport should be completely against this.

Besides, he was clearly joking around.

SMH!
03-10-2014, 04:22 PM
This is what people believe that have never been in a fight. If both parties know they are in a fight then there won't be a 1 punch knock out. Put your hands up and protect yourself, now if you're talking about a sucker punch that is completely different, and not considered a fight. Kimbo Slice is not suiting up for any team anytime soon.

he didnt say 1 punch knockout, he said 1 clean hit would result in a knockout which is true..

beyourself
03-10-2014, 04:22 PM

This is not true. People in a fight put their hands up, but to throw a punch you end up exposing yourself. I would know because I've been flat knocked out in a fight before. Look basketball players don't use proper fighting technique that takes years to learn.

Somebody will be knocked out cold if they allow this. These guys are close to 7ft tall. They will seriously hurt each other.

Byronicle
03-10-2014, 04:25 PM
I've played hockey and I boxed for 10 years so I can fill in a bit here

The differences in hockey is that the protection they wear really restricts their punching power which is why you see full swings rather than jabs. It's not as bad and hockey players are use to physical contact. 90% of the time the fights are agreed upon by both parties. Dropping the gloves signals the person has accepted to fight

And Canadians can take a hit. In hockey there are no grudges outside the hockey rink. The basketball culture where you see guys throw a sucker punch then backpedal and taunt. Trash talk in sports is definitely at it's highest with basketball. There will be too much petty silly drama if fights were allowed in basketball

Think about fist fights when playing pick up at the YMCA. It always escalates into something stupid. Hockey it's a lot different. Guys can hate each other's guts but at the end of the day its all in good fun

c.c.
03-10-2014, 04:30 PM
Anyone who loves this sport should be completely against this.

Besides, he was clearly joking around.

I love this sport and this idea lol. But it doesn't have to be fighting, just let players show a little aggression without being T'd up behind petty stuff and showing a emotion

blahblahyoutoo
03-10-2014, 04:35 PM

he's a fake tough guy that just pretends to be tough with his stares.

blahblahyoutoo
03-10-2014, 04:36 PM
btw, I wish they would allow fighting in all sports.
you get to watch 2 sports for the price of 1.

KG2TB
03-10-2014, 04:39 PM

The differences in hockey is that the protection they wear really restricts their punching power which is why you see full swings rather than jabs. It's not as bad and hockey players are use to physical contact. 90% of the time the fights are agreed upon by both parties. Dropping the gloves signals the person has accepted to fight

And Canadians can take a hit. In hockey there are no grudges outside the hockey rink. The basketball culture where you see guys throw a sucker punch then backpedal and taunt. Trash talk in sports is definitely at it's highest with basketball. There will be too much petty silly drama if fights were allowed in basketball

Think about fist fights when playing pick up at the YMCA. It always escalates into something stupid. Hockey it's a lot different. Guys can hate each other's guts but at the end of the day its all in good fun

Yep. Besides the fact the league would never go for this, it would be extremely difficult to implement. Like you said, the protective gear in hockey and the dropping of your gloves is something basketball can't provide. Beyond that, fighting is a culture and tradition in hockey. It would be difficult to implement such a culture in basketball and would be tough to restrict other players from jumping in and relying purely on the refs to control the fight. Furthermore, the refs would have to be properly trained for this type of scenario and my bet is that many of them wouldn't want to. Also, there are no penalty boxes in basketball and deciding what to do with said players afterwards would have to be addressed. Do they just get subbed out for someone else? Some of the worst fights I've ever seen have been in basketball. Most of these guys can't even throw a proper punch and aren't used to being hit. Players involved in a fight would probably be more tentative driving inside and going around screens. It's bad enough the league calls normal hard fouls flagrant most of the time. It just would never happen and for good reason.

MetroMan
03-10-2014, 04:44 PM
Lebron will STILL KICK Kobe's ***

-Kobe24-TJ19-
03-10-2014, 04:44 PM
Melo would run away from a fight :rolleyes:

MetroMan
03-10-2014, 04:46 PM
Melo is a pus

dalton749
03-10-2014, 04:50 PM
this would end very poorly
there is a huge size disparity on the floor so guys would be getting murdered
and you think any ref is gunna be able to break up these guys
you would need all of the floor security and their tasers lol

lol, please
03-10-2014, 06:10 PM

I agree with it to an extent and I am not dumb. I've both been in one, and seen one, are you aware of combat sports, and a sport called hockey?

People sleep on Blake's toughness, I bet he wins more than people think.
Are you insinuating that a professional basketball player who is well off gets into street fights on a regular basis?

Canadians can take a hit but people from the US can't? what are they, different species? Have you been to school?

Padding makes a difference, but long term injuries can still happen, look at football and boxing.

Hockey is the prime example for why this could be in any way feasible, in my opinion. However, I am also against changing the sport, but I think it makes for an interesting conversation.

TorontoHuskies
03-10-2014, 06:23 PM
This would be great I'd love to see someone knock out guys like Dwayne Wade or Chris Paul

Da Knicks
03-10-2014, 06:56 PM
Melo did something very dark to you, hope all is well...

MonroeFAN
03-10-2014, 07:12 PM
hockey v 2.0. inbred billygoats all over rejoice.

John Walls Era
03-10-2014, 07:24 PM
This is stupid. One punch from one of these centers and someone will get knocked out.

Kyben36
03-10-2014, 07:25 PM
dumbest thing i have ever heard In my life, there is a difference between hockey players who play a full contact sport, with pads, helments, ect. and the nba, a non contact sport. LOL.

lakerfan85
03-10-2014, 07:42 PM
Fighting should be allowed if a player gets called for a foul due to another player flopping..

Ebbs
03-10-2014, 07:58 PM
I'm game.
I love fighting. This would be awesome. Although completely ridiculous lol.

I think in football 100% it should be allowed.

kobe4thewinbang
03-10-2014, 08:24 PM
So did Gortat go to an MMA show last night or something? This is the stupidest thing I've ever heard. Malice in the Palace--hello?!

kobe4thewinbang
03-10-2014, 08:26 PM
This is what people believe that have never been in a fight. If both parties know they are in a fight then there won't be a 1 punch knock out. Put your hands up and protect yourself, now if you're talking about a sucker punch that is completely different, and not considered a fight. Kimbo Slice is not suiting up for any team anytime soon.LOL, you think the common Joe knows how to fight? It's mostly swing-on-swing action in your typical bar fight or what-have-you, i.e. somebody is going down because nobody is defending themselves intelligently. Look up any random YouTube fight and there ya go. And you've obviously never seen a fight in the UFC, where there are COUNTLESS one-hit knockouts.

Jays Claw
03-10-2014, 09:09 PM
Stupid.

It would slow down the game and instigate further fights. It only works in hockey because it is already a contact sport and the fight is usually over in 30 seconds or so.

WVNowitzki
03-10-2014, 09:31 PM
I love the idea, would put an end to a lot of fake tough guys in the NBA, which is 98% of them.

NBA_Starter
03-10-2014, 10:55 PM
Put him in there with David West I'd pay to see that.

WES KOAST
03-10-2014, 11:21 PM
certainly hammer wasn't referring to his jock strap

conway429
03-10-2014, 11:21 PM
more than anything, the pads in hockey make it a totally different story. but you also need to have your feet planted to get enough power into a punch to knock someone out. their punches are off balance and there's no range of motion. getting knocked out in a hockey fight is extremely unlikely.
also, because they wait to drop gloves, 2 guys can consent to the fight and square off.

NBA players throw cheap shots and scratch and slap each other enough as it is. someone would get blindsided and seriously injured. are you guys really gonna want fighting in the NBA after Lebron (or insert your favorite/most exciting player) gets dummied, hits the floor wrong, and spends the rest of his life as a vegetable?

it's lame to think all fighting is cool. i like to see professional fighters go at it, not skinny wannabe thugs who have never been in a real fight before get into an awkward bareknuckle scrap

Jamiecballer
03-10-2014, 11:22 PM
I always thought gortat looked an awful lot like a caveman. Had no idea he thought like one too.

WES KOAST
03-11-2014, 12:27 AM
I love the idea, would put an end to a lot of fake tough guys in the NBA, which is 98% of them.

especially perkins

NoahH
03-11-2014, 03:48 PM
LOL Can you imagine the ramifications of in game NBA fighting???? Its one thing to fight on skates in hockey, but on shoes on the ground people would be getting ICED on a daily basis.

Game 1 of a playoff series youll have the 8th seed run out a tough guy to KO LeBron or CP3 etc.

-Kobe24-TJ19-
03-11-2014, 05:19 PM
So did Gortat go to an MMA show last night or something? This is the stupidest thing I've ever heard. Malice in the Palace--hello?!

World Peace might be valuable again, but should definetly change his name

WaDe03
03-11-2014, 06:00 PM
Every fight would turn into a brawl probably. No one is going to sit there and watch their teammate fight and not jump in it especially if they are getting beat up