PDA

View Full Version : Minnesota State Reps Thoughts on NBA Teams Folding

Tony_Starks
03-10-2014, 02:45 PM
In today's edition of "Things You'll Probably Regret Saying on Twitter," Minnesota State representative Pat Garofalo tweeted his thoughts about what he imagines would happen if NBA teams folded. Rep. Pat Garofalo: Let's be honest, 70% of teams in NBA could fold tomorrow + nobody would notice a difference w/ possible exception of increase in streetcrime

Sporting News - See more at: http://hoopshype.com/rumors.

This guy is some kind of a jerk. Apparently he thinks the majority of NBA players are street criminals.

I wonder why.......

ManRam
03-10-2014, 02:52 PM
Yeah. He tried justifying it a few times now, like to Deadspin.

He clearly is not a fan of the NBA, or good humor.

https://twitter.com/search?q=from%3APatGarofalo%20nba&src=typd&f=realtime

Tony_Starks
03-10-2014, 02:59 PM
Yeah. He tried justifying it a few times now, like to Deadspin.

He clearly is not a fan of the NBA, or good humor.

https://twitter.com/search?q=from%3APatGarofalo%20nba&src=typd&f=realtime

I don't think he was trying to be funny. I think he was slipping in his real opinion under the guise of joke....

bleedprple&gold
03-10-2014, 03:11 PM
Dumbass. Why would you say something like that? No good is going to come out of it. Nobody is laughing with this moron.

lamzoka
03-10-2014, 03:39 PM
This guy is a racist who hates the NBA case closed.

Tony_Starks
03-10-2014, 03:40 PM
I wonder if Adam Silver will call him out. I know David Stern would.

It's not like he's some random hater, apparently he's a fairly prominent guy in his community....

ManRam
03-10-2014, 04:39 PM
I don't think he was trying to be funny. I think he was slipping in his real opinion under the guise of joke....

Oh...I didn't mean the tweet in question was intended to be funny. I meant his other garbage on the NBA...

blahblahyoutoo
03-10-2014, 04:39 PM
show me where he mentioned race please.

Deadpool
03-10-2014, 04:44 PM

This.

lamzoka
03-10-2014, 05:01 PM

Believe it or not, but I find you racist. So I'm not really surprise you're defending him.

blahblahyoutoo
03-10-2014, 07:07 PM
Believe it or not, but I find you racist. So I'm not really surprise you're defending him.

in other words, you have no proof.
gotcha.

bonus for you. point out where I was defending him.

Tony_Starks
03-10-2014, 07:39 PM
in other words, you have no proof.
gotcha.

bonus for you. point out where I was defending him.

Are you really this gullible or just trolling? A child can read between the lines of what he's saying....

lakerfan85
03-10-2014, 07:44 PM
Chop his nuts off!!

JasonJohnHorn
03-10-2014, 08:31 PM
This guy is a tool.

blahblahyoutoo
03-10-2014, 09:34 PM
Are you really this gullible or just trolling? A child can read between the lines of what he's saying....

i didn't know we were all mind reading psychics in here. apologies.

kingkenny01
03-10-2014, 09:55 PM
Its funny the nba really doesn't have as bad as of an crime problem as it used too, and its not as bad as the nfl. But that is beside the point, how stupid do you have to be to say that on twitter and he is a politician he is elected on his image.

nastynice
03-10-2014, 10:02 PM

I think the "perceived" racial overtone is pretty obvious. Wether or not he meant it I can't say, but it sure seems that way, and it was without a doubt a pretty stupid thing to say regardless.

Tony_Starks
03-10-2014, 10:16 PM
Now he's apologizing and backtracking. Saying he's not racist and used to "tutor in inner city schools." Oh well, why didnt you say so buddy!

I'm kindof disappointed he didn't use the famous "some of my best friends are black people" line....

NBA_Starter
03-10-2014, 10:49 PM
I don't agree with this guy at all!

beyourself
03-10-2014, 10:57 PM
He tweeted it so it was for his followers to see. The people who follow him are probably his constituents. Maybe they agree with his statement.

Tony_Starks
03-10-2014, 11:06 PM
He tweeted it so it was for his followers to see. The people who follow him are probably his constituents. Maybe they agree with his statement.

Well he's a republican so assuming some of followers are conservative you may be right.....

Longhornfan1234
03-11-2014, 12:33 AM
Black people commit more crimes than any race. The majority of the NBA is black.
No NBA = more black people are unemployed.
More unemployed black people = more crime.

I'm not racist. I'm just a factual guy.

Kushed
03-11-2014, 12:33 AM
I love people who say this guy is a racist... This is exactly why racism still exists by saying it's racist just because the majority of the NBA is black. He would have said the same thing if the majority of the NBA was white, yellow, or even ****ing purple. His point was that professional players in general believe they are above the law. They tend to get lesser charges than the average citizen because of their status. It has absolutely nothing to do with color.

But just because the majority of the NBA is black it means it was "racist"...

****ing comical. By the way his comments were completely idiotic and I don't agree with him but was it racist when Ray Lewis said something similar about the NFL if they locked out?? Lol no one said a word.

People are ****ing stupid.

John Walls Era
03-11-2014, 12:34 AM
I love people who say this guy is a racist... This is exactly why racism still exists by saying it's racist just because the majority of the NBA is black. He would have said the same thing if the majority of the NBA was white, yellow, or even ****ing purple. His point was that professional players in general believe they are above the law. They tend to get lesser charges than the average citizen because of their status. It has absolutely nothing to do with color.

****ing comical. By the way his comments were completely idiotic and I don't agree with him but was it racist when Ray Lewis said something similar about the NFL if they locked out?? Lol no one said a word.

I get his main point and so do you. But how do you know there wasn't racist undertone? He says thats his main point, but he definitely expanded on that.

jaydubb
03-11-2014, 12:35 AM

:nod:

John Walls Era
03-11-2014, 12:38 AM
Black people commit more crimes than any race. The majority of the NBA is black.

A lot of these NBA players went to school. I know most of them didn't give a ****, but the sample size would still not be big enough to justify your claim. I would hope that some of these african american players are more educated because of the 1 year rule.

Also just because the guy is right, or could be right, doesn't mean he should say this publicly.

jaydubb
03-11-2014, 12:38 AM

I was going to comment on this but I won't because I don't want to argue. I do disagree with your "math" here tho.

Kushed
03-11-2014, 12:53 AM
I get his main point and so do you. But how do you know there wasn't racist undertone? He says thats his main point, but he definitely expanded on that.

Even if there was a so called "racial undertone" is it wrong? How many players in the NBA came from bad neighborhoods and aren't very educated? How many would be involved in the wrong things if they weren't playing professional sports?? I don't think its as many as he thinks but there are definitely quite a few...

And again, people need to LOOK PAST COLOR. These are just facts of life. Some people grow up in terrible environments, don't get a good education, and would succumb to the pressures of life outside of the NBA. It doesn't matter if they are black, white, yellow it just DOESN'T MATTER. The fact is that black people are more likely to be involved in criminal activity. And I'm not racist at all. I have black friends, I think black people deserve equal opportunity along with any other person but the facts remain the same. Doesn't make me a racist, doesn't make him a racist, and it makes things worse when people have to jump the racist gun every single time a comment is made that involves color.

Jeffy25
03-11-2014, 01:37 AM

Except he never said anything about race, or color.....looking for racism/searching for it to defend it is just as bad as being racist...

But this guy is clearly an idiot. Regardless of your personal opinions, this isn't something that you are going to do any good by being vocal about.

Jeffy25
03-11-2014, 01:41 AM
Even if there was a so called "racial undertone" is it wrong? How many players in the NBA came from bad neighborhoods and aren't very educated? How many would be involved in the wrong things if they weren't playing professional sports?? I don't think its as many as he thinks but there are definitely quite a few...

And again, people need to LOOK PAST COLOR. These are just facts of life. Some people grow up in terrible environments, don't get a good education, and would succumb to the pressures of life outside of the NBA. It doesn't matter if they are black, white, yellow it just DOESN'T MATTER. The fact is that black people are more likely to be involved in criminal activity. And I'm not racist at all. I have black friends, I think black people deserve equal opportunity along with any other person but the facts remain the same. Doesn't make me a racist, doesn't make him a racist, and it makes things worse when people have to jump the racist gun every single time a comment is made that involves color.
Correct, it's simply the demographic.

It's not a good thing, and it doesn't make it okay.

But it is reality.

America's population is 30% black

But 60% of those incarcerated in America, are black.

It's an unpleasant, demographic fact. But it is a fact.

Some of it is society based, some of it is peer based, some of it is just in general environment based.

But it's reality
http://www.americanprogress.org/issues/race/news/2012/03/13/11351/the-top-10-most-startling-facts-about-people-of-color-and-criminal-justice-in-the-united-states/

JLynn943
03-11-2014, 02:11 AM

Black people are convicted of crimes at a higher rate than other races. Big difference in those two statements.

blahblahyoutoo
03-11-2014, 09:55 AM
A lot of these NBA players went to school. I know most of them didn't give a ****, but the sample size would still not be big enough to justify your claim. I would hope that some of these african american players are more educated because of the 1 year rule.

Also just because the guy is right, or could be right, doesn't mean he should say this publicly.

yeah, they went to school where they never attended classes, passed only because they were given a directive from above so that they could stay on the school team.
some of these players can't even read beyond grade school levels. a lot of them speak a language that is unintelligible to english speakers.

i would hardly consider them educated.

blahblahyoutoo
03-11-2014, 09:56 AM

and I don't even believe he singled out any race.

Tony_Starks
03-11-2014, 10:27 AM

Since your so factual how about you research how many of those unemployed crime comitting blacks have been to college, have college degrees, or have made millions of dollars?

Spoiler alert, not a lot...

NoahH
03-11-2014, 12:49 PM
Why does everyone think contraction / folding is a GOOD thing. Contracting 6 teams would destroy 6 unique fan bases and would destroy the NBA brand. Sure it would make the teams more competetive but at what expense!

beyourself
03-11-2014, 01:08 PM
I'm not sure, but I'd say the NBA probably has more thugs percentage wise than the general population, but you guys are acting like it's out of control.

Not everybody in the NBA speaks bad, has thug tats and thug clothes, criminal history, etc.

The worst thing that happened to the NBA though was when players in the early 2000s glorified thugness. That has no place in the NBA and I'm glad it's starting to go away.

TheHub
03-11-2014, 02:00 PM
Im not trying to cause trouble, but for those of you arguing that without the NBA there would be increased crime rate, who is to say that these guys would not just play other sports like football or baseball? And really there are 30 teams and 15 players per team thats 450 guys. Even if 60% became convicted criminals thats 270 people compared to the 2,300,000 people currently incarcerated. I know you would have to do that potentially year over year, but i think my point is made. The number is so small and insignificant that it would have such a minuscule impact on the crime rate its not even worth mentioning. Minnesota is 85% white, I mean even if a white Republican from Minnesota is not racist, he was clearly suggesting that NBA players black or white are all potential criminals and there's something to be said for that. There is no way he even watches the NBA and just made a complete *** out of himself by throwing out a blanket statement.

hugepatsfan
03-11-2014, 08:22 PM
I have never actually looked up the numbers but I imagine that crime is a lot more heavily correlated with income than it is race. I also believe that it's harder to make it into the middle/upper class of society if you start from the lower class. The quality of the education you receiver is usually less because you're in a low income area. The morale of your peers is usually lower which in turn drags yours down. It's just harder to make it when you start out at a disadvantage relative to others.

Let's put that in the context of African Americans... when they were first granted freedom they obviously didn't start out as upper or middle class citizens. They were the lower class. Like I said, that makes it harder to earn well paying jobs, keeping you in the lower class. Even if any thoughts of racism magically disappeared when the slaves were freed African Americans would still have been held back by this.

I don't think the racism of today comes out of a belief that the color of someone's skin makes them inherently better than another person. I think because of what I mentioned above African Americans have always faced an uphill battle out of poverty (speaking in general terms, not about specific situations) based on where they started in society. Because of this I think black culture has long been associated as "lower class" culture.

NBA_Starter
03-11-2014, 10:22 PM
Why does everyone think contraction / folding is a GOOD thing. Contracting 6 teams would destroy 6 unique fan bases and would destroy the NBA brand. Sure it would make the teams more competetive but at what expense!

Exactly, that is how I see it, even if my team isn't involved.

BigCityofDreams
03-11-2014, 11:07 PM
Lol at some of the replies in this thread.

BigCityofDreams
03-12-2014, 12:17 PM

That's not exactly what Ray Lewis said. His comment was more about how the general public would react if there was no NFL. He was targeting a particular group of ppl.

Sly Guy
03-12-2014, 12:20 PM
wow who is this asshat? my god, that was really offensive

AddiX
03-12-2014, 02:50 PM
Has anyone from the wolves organization said anything about this?

Tony_Starks
03-13-2014, 01:36 AM
Has anyone from the wolves organization said anything about this?

I think Corey Brewer said something like what he said was ignorant but none of the suits addressed it as far as I know.....

krazylegz
03-13-2014, 05:03 PM
cmon,nobody ever heard "if it werent for the nba,america would have the worlds tallest garbage men":hide:

btw...Rep. Pat Garofalo joke,not mine

AddiX
03-13-2014, 05:25 PM
I think Corey Brewer said something like what he said was ignorant but none of the suits addressed it as far as I know.....

Thats pretty pathetic, but I'm not surprised. After all it's pretty clear this is a team that goes out of it's way to stack up on non african american players.

If I was a black player I'd be pissed that the team couldn't even make a public statement that they disagree with his words, show your players some damn support, no wonder no one wants to be there or go there.

Tony_Starks
03-13-2014, 06:49 PM
Thats pretty pathetic, but I'm not surprised. After all it's pretty clear this is a team that goes out of it's way to stack up on non african american players.

If I was a black player I'd be pissed that the team couldn't even make a public statement that they disagree with his words, show your players some damn support, no wonder no one wants to be there or go there.

Yeah in places like Minny or Utah you can say garbage like that and get support. Try that in LA, NY, or Chitown..... get ran out of town!

blahblahyoutoo
03-14-2014, 02:32 PM

i'm still having trouble locating where he targeted blacks in his statement.
you seem to have found it. can you help a brutha out?

hugepatsfan
03-14-2014, 02:45 PM
It's pretty obvious why his comments could be interpreted as racist. At the same time it's a slippery slope to start calling statements racist when on their surface they make no such implications. Racism is never going to away if we twist and turn comments that aren't racist on the surface into being racist by applying our own context to them. A world without racism can never exist if people aren't willing to accept the possibility that a world without racism can exist.

BigCityofDreams
03-14-2014, 03:12 PM

Has that gotten a lot of coverage in Minn. or in the news in general. I know it's been discussed on here and other boards.

AddiX
03-15-2014, 10:35 AM
i'm still having trouble locating where he targeted blacks in his statement.
you seem to have found it. can you help a brutha out?

You have never once put together a post worth reading, and it's clear that trend will continue, don't talk to me.

Has that gotten a lot of coverage in Minn. or in the news in general. I know it's been discussed on here and other boards.

Minn fans and media ignore it, the same way everyone ignored it when Indiana went crazy trading for white basketball players after the artest brawl, the same way everyone ignored the way Utah in the past use to treat matt freaking harping like he was Larry Bird.

I honestly can cars less what any of these tea,s do, but lets nit neat around the bush, teams make decisions based on race.

BigCityofDreams
03-15-2014, 11:50 AM
You have never once put together a post worth reading, and it's clear that trend will continue, don't talk to me.

Minn fans and media ignore it, the same way everyone ignored it when Indiana went crazy trading for white basketball players after the artest brawl, the same way everyone ignored the way Utah in the past use to treat matt freaking harping like he was Larry Bird.

I honestly can cars less what any of these tea,s do, but lets nit neat around the bush, teams make decisions based on race.

Damn that's crazy. I had no idea those in Minn ignore it to that high of a level. Do any of the fans in the black community care? Or is it one of those things where they don't care and just want good basketball?

hugepatsfan
03-15-2014, 12:47 PM

You have absolutely no proof of anyone's intention in any of these cases. You just put together a timeline of events and make your assumptions for why people did what they did. I'm not saying racism doesn't exist, but you can't just assume it in cases where you have absolutely no information whatsoever on the conditions a decision was made under. If you don't assume every string of events where racism could be happening is actually racism then yes, some cases of it will slip through the cracks and not be properly dealt with. That's obviously not what should happen. But conversely, if you do assume every string of events where racism could be happening is actually racism then you're going to make some things to be about race when in actuality that wasn't the intention at all. That promotes a culture that encourages minorities to always be looking out for the white man as the enemy and be careful of when he's out to get you. If minorities take that attitude towards whites, it only encourages more racism and encourages the white people who do care about civil rights to stop caring. Why would any person want to help a group of people that treats them like the enemy and assumes that they're out to get them?

I obviously think it's important that we as a nation seek to correct any cases of racism. But at the same time I think accusing people of it without any knowledge whatsoever of the intent of their actions encourages more racism.

AddiX
03-15-2014, 01:09 PM
You have absolutely no proof of anyone's intention in any of these cases. You just put together a timeline of events and make your assumptions for why people did what they did. I'm not saying racism doesn't exist, but you can't just assume it in cases where you have absolutely no information whatsoever on the conditions a decision was made under. If you don't assume every string of events where racism could be happening is actually racism then yes, some cases of it will slip through the cracks and not be properly dealt with. That's obviously not what should happen. But conversely, if you do assume every string of events where racism could be happening is actually racism then you're going to make some things to be about race when in actuality that wasn't the intention at all. That promotes a culture that encourages minorities to always be looking out for the white man as the enemy and be careful of when he's out to get you. If minorities take that attitude towards whites, it only encourages more racism and encourages the white people who do care about civil rights to stop caring. Why would any person want to help a group of people that treats them like the enemy and assumes that they're out to get them?

I obviously think it's important that we as a nation seek to correct any cases of racism. But at the same time I think accusing people of it without any knowledge whatsoever of the intent of their actions encourages more racism.

Yeah well, welcome to the real world buddy...

Hawkeye15
03-15-2014, 01:30 PM
Yeah in places like Minny or Utah you can say garbage like that and get support. Try that in LA, NY, or Chitown..... get ran out of town!

people continue to show they know nothing about Minnesota. Minneapolis is VERY liberal.

But why should the Wolves get involved? Because they play in Minnesota? Why even bother with this guy?

And Addix, the white player thing is stupid. Minnesota went international at first. The FA signings from last summer, after Kahn left?

Corey Brewer
Kevin Martin
Ronny Turiaf

Drafted:
Shabazz Muhammad
Gorgui Dieng

8 black players
3 american white players
1 russian
1 puerto rican
1 spaniard
1 montenegran

Sadds The Gr8
03-15-2014, 01:36 PM
He's a racist clown.

Sandman
03-15-2014, 01:48 PM
For everybody arguing about racism, how many of you just assumed the guy from Minnesota was white?

booyakasha

Hawkeye15
03-15-2014, 01:59 PM
Damn that's crazy. I had no idea those in Minn ignore it to that high of a level. Do any of the fans in the black community care? Or is it one of those things where they don't care and just want good basketball?

why would you take his word on what people in Minnesota/Minneapolis think of it? He hasn't ever been there, nor does he know anything about the state.

And as I stated even through the Kahn era, where the all white crap started, I don't give a **** what color they are if they can play basketball.

AddiX
03-15-2014, 02:44 PM
people continue to show they know nothing about Minnesota. Minneapolis is VERY liberal.

But why should the Wolves get involved? Because they play in Minnesota? Why even bother with this guy?

And Addix, the white player thing is stupid. Minnesota went international at first. The FA signings from last summer, after Kahn left?

Corey Brewer
Kevin Martin
Ronny Turiaf

Drafted:
Shabazz Muhammad
Gorgui Dieng

8 black players
3 american white players
1 russian
1 puerto rican
1 spaniard
1 montenegran

I actually said minny chose non-African American players.

It's would be impossible to build a team of just white guys, and its pretty hard to build of a team of very few African Americans, but it's clearly something minny is doing. At least in my eyes it is.

Hawkeye15
03-15-2014, 02:58 PM
I actually said minny chose non-African American players.

It's would be impossible to build a team of just white guys, and its pretty hard to build of a team of very few African Americans, but it's clearly something minny is doing. At least in my eyes it is.

Meaning you missed the part where I listed all 5 players added to the roster last summer were african american's...

We are over half black. Should I get upset as a white man if a team doesn't have enough white players? Why the hell would I care?

As long as you can play basketball, that is all I care about.

AddiX
03-15-2014, 03:17 PM
Meaning you missed the part where I listed all 5 players added to the roster last summer were african american's...

We are over half black. Should I get upset as a white man if a team doesn't have enough white players? Why the hell would I care?

As long as you can play basketball, that is all I care about.

I never assumed it was a issue for you.

But the demographics on minny are far different than most teams in the nba.

Especially when you consider the core players who make up the bulk of the playing time. Almost none of the african americans on minny even have long term deals.

Hawkeye15
03-15-2014, 03:20 PM
I never assumed it was a issue for you.

But the demographics on minny are far different than most teams in the nba.

Especially when you consider the core players who make up the bulk of the playing time.

but why on earth does any of that matter? I don't believe for a second that because Minnesota is pretty damn white that they would build a team of white players. That makes zero sense.

you are making a race issue out of nothing. But, that is what this country has come to many times.

And really, the only demographic lacking national average in Minnesota is hispanic. Minneapolis/St Paul is above the average percentage for the US in african americans (17.4% compared to 13.2% nationally).

Again, why make it a race issue when you have literally no proof, especially in a sport like the NBA?

AddiX
03-15-2014, 03:28 PM
but why on earth does any of that matter? I don't believe for a second that because Minnesota is pretty damn white that they would build a team of white players. That makes zero sense.

you are making a race issue out of nothing. But, that is what this country has come to many times.

Of course they would, have you not seen the empty stands in minny over the years?

People like to root for players of there own race. Matt harping didn't even come close to resembling a nba player, utah kept him forever, because there was white fans who loved him. Everyone had matt harping jerseys there.

I'm not making this crap up, teams have been doing this stuff for years. You don't realy think it was coincidence indy traded for every white guy in the nba after the artest fiasco?

Than there's no way minnys team demographics is a coincidence either. Look at the core players, you know how hard it is to do that by mistake?

Hawkeye15
03-15-2014, 03:34 PM
[QUOTE=AddiX;28156796]Of course they would, have you not seen the empty stands in minny over the years?

So you think the stands were empty because we didn't have enough white players, versus us sucking for 9 years? So when the stands were full every game in 2003-04 for example, when we had 3 white players (1 of which never sniffed the floor), what does that tell you?

People like to root for players of there own race. Matt harping didn't even come close to resembling a nba player, utah kept him forever, because there was white fans who loved him. Everyone had matt harping jerseys there.

I don't think most fans really care about race the way you think they do. And Utah is a completely different discussion. That is the whitest, most religious place on earth.

I'm not making this crap up, teams have been doing this stuff for years. You don't realy think it was coincidence indy traded for every white guy in the nba after the artest fiasco?

I don't buy that at all. If we are talking 70's basketball, possibly. But with the game growing financially so much, winning has become the name of the game. So you bring in the best players in your mind, ignoring color.

Than there's no way minnys team demographics is a coincidence either. Look at the core players, you know how hard it is to do that by mistake?

But you are reaching dude. Love was an easy call. Pekovic was going to be the 1st player taken in the 2nd round that year by every team in the league (read up on it), Minny just happened to have the pick. Rubio was a consensus top 5 pick that fell (he is Spanish btw). Barea had just come off a great finals run, and the Wolves needed a spark scorer (Puerto Rican btw). Adelman wanted Budinger from his Houston days.

And then, here we are again, we signed 3 african american players (one of which is another Adelman favorite), and drafted 2 african americans. It's not Love, Rubio, or Pekovic's fault that half the african americans on the team aren't good NBA players that take their minutes.

Like I said, you are making something out of nothing.

Goose17
03-15-2014, 03:41 PM
People complaining about Minnesota having too many white players, when did that become acceptable? Could I, as a white man, complain that the Pacers are "too black" and don't give contracts to white guys, would that be okay by you? What if I referred to the league as being "too ghetto" or "too hood", is that okay?

Get out of here with that B.S

They built a team that they believe would work, pieces that would fit together, nobody cares what your skin tone is, if you can ball you can ball. That's it.

People bringing up race **** where it isn't relevant, making something out of nothing.

AddiX
03-15-2014, 03:43 PM
I tell ya what, you believe all your excuses.

I'll believe what is incredibly obvious, a team agenda to bring in non African American players. And to build a core of almost no African americans.

No matter how much you want to tell yourself it's a coincidence, its not. And this is you forgetting you also are suppose to have kirilannko, and went after batum hard. It's pretty clear your front office wants it's core to NE made of non African Americans.

Im not making this up, look at the team and the moves they make, and tries to make. God damn chase budinger? Are you kidding me?

AddiX
03-15-2014, 03:47 PM
People complaining about Minnesota having too many white players, when did that become acceptable? Could I, as a white man, complain that the Pacers are "too black" and don't give contracts to white guys, would that be okay by you? What if I referred to the league as being "too ghetto" or "too hood", is that okay?

Get out of here with that B.S

They built a team that they believe would work, pieces that would fit together, nobody cares what your skin tone is, if you can ball you can ball. That's it.

People bringing up race **** where it isn't relevant, making something out of nothing.

No one said anyone had a problem with minny having to many white players, learn to read You illiterate midget.

hugepatsfan
03-15-2014, 03:47 PM
Of course they would, have you not seen the empty stands in minny over the years?

What about when MIN's core players were Garnett, Spreewell and Cassel? Remember when Wally was a part of their core... until they traded him for a black player, Ricky Davis? Are you suggesting MIN's ownership has all of a sudden decided to become racist in recent years?

And you want to talk about their current core players... Ricky Rubio was regarded as the next big thing by EVERYONE, not just the T'Wolves. He was thought to be a stud. And the year they drafted him they also took a black player in Johnny Flynn so I don't see how you could reach the conclusion that they took him because of race. Kevin Love is one of the best players in the NBA. Maybe they took him because he's a good player. Pekovic is a fine C. Should they go out and sign lesser players so they can be more diverse? J.J. Barea was coming off a great Finals run when they signed him. Again, his talent more than justified a roster spot. And they were trying to trade him at this year's deadline anyway.

It is odd that the T'Wolves would have so many white players in a league dominated by African Americans but there's nothing to suggest that it's any more than a coincidence. They've built their team around African American players before and the white players on their team all make sense as acquisitions. I'm not saying it's impossible that racism could have played a part... I'm just saying there is no evidence that supports that conclusion. If an audio recording leaks of the owner telling the GM he wants all white players or something like that comes out then we have a different story. But with what we know right now, the only reason why anyone could be making racist accusations of the T'Wolves is if they just assume that all white people are racist and out to get African Americans. That's an example of assuming something about someone because of the color of their skin - something we call racism. Oh the irony...

Hawkeye15
03-15-2014, 03:51 PM
I tell ya what, you believe all your excuses.

I'll believe what is incredibly obvious, a team agenda to bring in non African American players. And to build a core of almost no African americans.

No matter how much you want to tell yourself it's a coincidence, its not. And this is you forgetting you also are suppose to have kirilannko, and went after batum hard. It's pretty clear your front office wants it's core to NE made of non African Americans.

Im not making this up, look at the team and the moves they make, and tries to make. God damn chase budinger? Are you kidding me?

We signed AK after Portland matched Batum.

Budinger is an Adelman guy from Houston, he wanted him.

You are reaching and making something out of nothing dude. Ignore every point I made. From 2000-2005, our team was nearly all black, and the stands were full. Why? Because we won 50+ games every year. When you start winning 18 games a year in a hockey state, fans tend to stop coming.

But, keep crying racism.

Goose17
03-15-2014, 03:56 PM
No one said anyone had a problem with minny having to many white players, learn to read You illiterate midget.

Literally thousands of people were saying that when it was the hot topic. I wasn't talking specifically about this thread.

And anyone who thinks there is any sort of racist agenda here is an absolute fool.

AddiX
03-15-2014, 04:03 PM
Ok so I just checked minnesotas roster and there country of origin.

SIX players on there entire roster are African Americans!

SIX out of 15!

Don't tell me this is a god damn coincidence. There is no god damn possible way that happened. Unless they wanted it to happen. 6/15, LOL. That's so far way from the average NBA demographic its not even funny.

AddiX
03-15-2014, 04:07 PM
Literally thousands of people were saying that when it was the hot topic. I wasn't talking specifically about this thread.

And anyone who thinks there is any sort of racist agenda here is an absolute fool.

Never said it was a racist agenda, said it was a business decision. There theory behind it, might be racist, I dunno.

You'd be surprised what a company worth in billionaires of dollars will do when they see empty stands and are begging to get rid of 5$ tickets.

But the reason this entire conversation came up, is there is something wrong about a team who doesn't comment on the fact that a stat rep that they represent basically identifies NBA players as a bunch of black criminals.

tmacsc2
03-15-2014, 04:09 PM
I'm gonna give my 2 cents and never come back. Do I think this was out of line for a man in his position? Yes, don't be spouting off about people that come from different up bringing a than yourself.

I get what he is saying, but for some reason he dis likes the NBA. I don't think he was being racist. I think he knows there are a lot of *** hats In the NBA and wouldn't have amounted to jack **** if not for basketball. I.E. Chris Anderson, Jason Kidd (wife beater) bill laimbeer was compared to "more than a thug" by Dennis rodman of all people.

I'm sure there are more, but with the nba being over 80% African Americans, his stance over the nba is going to automatically be seen as racial and insensitive towards blacks. In reality he just really dis likes the nba for some reason.

In closing, people need to stop interjecting race into a lot of stuff, there is no need for it, take the comments for what they are. When I read what he said I just assumed he think a lot of NBA players are punks and that nobody would care about half the NBA teams if they fell off the face of the earth. No need to bring racial accusations up after that IMO.

Tony_Starks
03-15-2014, 04:43 PM
I'm gonna give my 2 cents and never come back. Do I think this was out of line for a man in his position? Yes, don't be spouting off about people that come from different up bringing a than yourself.

I get what he is saying, but for some reason he dis likes the NBA. I don't think he was being racist. I think he knows there are a lot of *** hats In the NBA and wouldn't have amounted to jack **** if not for basketball. I.E. Chris Anderson, Jason Kidd (wife beater) bill laimbeer was compared to "more than a thug" by Dennis rodman of all people.

I'm sure there are more, but with the nba being over 80% African Americans, his stance over the nba is going to automatically be seen as racial and insensitive towards blacks. In reality he just really dis likes the nba for some reason.

In closing, people need to stop interjecting race into a lot of stuff, there is no need for it, take the comments for what they are. When I read what he said I just assumed he think a lot of NBA players are punks and that nobody would care about half the NBA teams if they fell off the face of the earth. No need to bring racial accusations up after that IMO.

But that can be said for any sport. The NFL has a person currently in custody on multiple murder charges and marijuanna offenders left and right, he didnt call them out. Baseball has multiple admitted steroid users, he didnt call them out. Hockey players literally knock each others teeth out like drunken brawlers, I've never once in my life heard them accused of being "thugs." It's beyond obvious man.

Do you seriously think it's a coincidence the one sport he called out just so happened to be predominantly black? Even though it's financially the second most successful sport in the US, 70% of it could fold? Come on now.....

SwatTeam
03-15-2014, 05:13 PM
Heard SwatTeam was racist. Well I guess that's on one basis, I only like green faces.

[beat drop]

SwatTeam
03-15-2014, 05:23 PM
The funny thing is that this politician forgot to mention there would not only be more crime but also more out of wedlock and unwanted pregnancies, abortions, STD's, and also more people trying to play on the courts at LA fitness. That's the worst offense. Its already pretty bad. Imagine some NBA players running the courts at LA fitness all day. How am I going to get my cardio in if Raymond Felton is crossing me over? Raymond fat @$$ Felton! You believe that ish!

Tony_Starks
03-15-2014, 05:32 PM
The funny thing is that this politician forgot to mention there would not only be more crime but also more out of wedlock and unwanted pregnancies, abortions, STD's, and also more people trying to play on the courts at LA fitness. That's the worst offense. Its already pretty bad. Imagine some NBA players running the courts at LA fitness all day. How am I going to get my cardio in if Raymond Felton is crossing me over? Raymond fat @$$ Felton! You believe that ish!

Jewelry stores would go out of business. Stock in expensive champagne would plummet. Multiple strip clubs simultaneously shut down leading to a huge spike in street prostitution, unpaid child support cases skyrocket slowing our justice system.....

Hawkeye15
03-15-2014, 10:42 PM
Ok so I just checked minnesotas roster and there country of origin.

SIX players on there entire roster are African Americans!

SIX out of 15!

Don't tell me this is a god damn coincidence. There is no god damn possible way that happened. Unless they wanted it to happen. 6/15, LOL. That's so far way from the average NBA demographic its not even funny.

apparently they need to be from america, versus africa, to make you happy.

You are reaching so hard it's ridiculous. Have your agenda. You literally have been nothing but pathetic in each and every post regarding the Wolves the entire time I have read your crap.

Racism. You introduced it. Nobody else. You are that guy..

AddiX
03-16-2014, 10:51 AM
apparently they need to be from america, versus africa, to make you happy.

You are reaching so hard it's ridiculous. Have your agenda. You literally have been nothing but pathetic in each and every post regarding the Wolves the entire time I have read your crap.

Racism. You introduced it. Nobody else. You are that guy..

Who do you think you are trying to point at me and say I have an agenda or that I prefer African American players? You got some god damn nerve trying to pull that bs off on me.

First off I'm not black, second, I already stated I don't give a god damn what any team does with its roster. I was simply stating that businesses including NBA franchise make decisions based on race. I also pointed to other teams that have done it in the past, not just Minnesota. And I hate to remind you, but this topic is race related.

3rd, YOUR the one who said your team was half African American, so I double checked it, and you were wrong, only 6/15 players are African American. If you can't handle the truth about your team, fine, but don't get mad at me for correcting you when your wrong.

6/15 is not a coincidence, and it's not a god damn "agenda" by me either. That's how your favorite franchise chose to build it's roster. Don't get mad at me for telling you the truth, just because you don't like it. The only person with an agenda is you and your puppies.

I just speak the truth, ain't no way a team ends up with 6/15 players being African American unless they try to.

Goose17
03-16-2014, 11:03 AM
I just speak the truth, ain't no way a team ends up with 6/15 players being African American unless they try to.

That is by far the most moronic thing I have ever read. Not on here, not on the internet, just ever. Anywhere, any time, ever.

I have never seen such ignorance.

Maybe the teams with mostly black players are trying to have as few white people as possible? Maybe the league is trying to have as few white people as possible and that's why black people outnumber them? Do you realise how idiotic these type of comments are? This shouldn't even be a discussion, you're being completely ********.

Last season, Milwaukee had 33.3% of it's roster made up of white players.
Last season, Minnesota had 33.3% of it's roster made up of white players.
Last season, Memphis had 30% of it's roster made up of white players.
Last season, San Antonio had 42.9% of it's roster made up of white players.

So if Minnesota have some sort of racist agenda, does that mean Memphis, Milwaukee and San Antonio do too?

What about Sacramento and Miami? Only 7% of their roster was white players, do they have a racist agenda against white people?

This is utter nonsense. Teams bring in guys they think will compliment the current talent, add something they are missing or help with chemistry. Race doesn't come into it. If you can ball, you can ball and that is it.

Goose17
03-16-2014, 11:18 AM
San Antonio had more non-US players on their roster last season than any other team, 10 of their players were born outside of the U.S I guess the have an agenda against America, Holt probably works for the Russians!

AddiX
03-16-2014, 11:25 AM
That is by far the most moronic thing I have ever read. Not on here, not on the internet, just ever. Anywhere, any time, ever.

I have never seen such ignorance.

Maybe the teams with mostly black players are trying to have as few white people as possible? Maybe the league is trying to have as few white people as possible and that's why black people outnumber them? Do you realise how idiotic these type of comments are? This shouldn't even be a discussion, you're being completely ********.

So if Minnesota have some sort of racist agenda, does that mean Memphis, Milwaukee and San Antonio do too?

What about Sacramento and Miami? Only 7% of their roster was white players, do they have a racist agenda against white people?

This is utter nonsense. Teams bring in guys they think will compliment the current talent, add something they are missing or help with chemistry. Race doesn't come into it. If you can ball, you can ball and that is it.

Damn boy, you can't actually be this dumb?

Just some advice, when adults talk to you, its just to make you feel like a part of the group. Realistically they look and smile at you the same way we clap for special Olympic participants.

No one really gives a **** what they do, we just commend them for trying, well the same thing goes for you. I can't believe your really that ignorant, that you tried to make that half *** comparison to white players in the NBA.

Smh, go sit in the corner with Steph curry and you guys can wipe each others tears off together or something. Let's the adults talk amongst ourselves.

Goose17
03-16-2014, 11:29 AM
Damn boy, you can't actually be this dumb?

Just some advice, when adults talk to you, its just to make you feel like a part of the group. Realistically they look and smile at you the same way we clap for special Olympic participants.

No one really gives a **** what they do, we just commend them for trying, well the same thing goes for you. I can't believe your really that ignorant, that you tried to make that half *** comparison to white players in the NBA.

Smh, go sit in the corner with Steph curry and you guys can wipe each others tears off together or something. Let's the adults talk amongst ourselves.

LOL great response, just what I would expect from an ignorant prick who doesn't how to respond when someone proves him wrong and calls him out on his B.S

blahblahyoutoo
03-16-2014, 11:44 AM
it seems pretty clear to me that Addix is the racist in here.
he has yet to point out where the rep clearly mentioned a race in his statement, but is adamant that it was a racist statement.

We signed AK after Portland matched Batum.

Budinger is an Adelman guy from Houston, he wanted him.

You are reaching and making something out of nothing dude. Ignore every point I made. From 2000-2005, our team was nearly all black, and the stands were full. Why? Because we won 50+ games every year. When you start winning 18 games a year in a hockey state, fans tend to stop coming.

But, keep crying racism.

AddiX
03-16-2014, 11:58 AM
it seems pretty clear to me that Addix is the racist in here.
he has yet to point out where the rep clearly mentioned a race in his statement, but is adamant that it was a racist statement.

It seems pretty clear that you make the perfect mascot for abortion clinics.

AddiX
03-16-2014, 12:08 PM
LOL great response, just what I would expect from an ignorant prick who doesn't how to respond when someone proves him wrong and calls him out on his B.S

The reason I didnt answer your comment seriously, is because its like answering why more teams don't have Chinese centers.

It's not racist or team preference, there just isn't a whole bunch of Yao Mings out there.

So you trying to make a comparison to what I said, and asking me if it's racist that some teams don't have more white players, well you'd have to be a moron of epic proportions to seriously ask that question.

For you to ask that question publicly, you would be exposing yourself as "special". To which I don't see he point to responding to people with a smaller iq than a neandrathal.

blahblahyoutoo
03-16-2014, 01:01 PM
It seems pretty clear that you make the perfect mascot for abortion clinics.

still waiting for proof of racism. burden of proof is on you buddy.
put up or shut up. really not expecting you to provide anything so you can just go ahead and shut up.

Goose17
03-16-2014, 01:11 PM
The reason I didnt answer your comment seriously, is because its like answering why more teams don't have Chinese centers.

It's not racist or team preference, there just isn't a whole bunch of Yao Mings out there.

So you trying to make a comparison to what I said, and asking me if it's racist that some teams don't have more white players, well you'd have to be a moron of epic proportions to seriously ask that question.

For you to ask that question publicly, you would be exposing yourself as "special". To which I don't see he point to responding to people with a smaller iq than a neandrathal.

What about the rest of my post?

If you think Minny have a racist agenda, why not Milwaukee who had the same amount of white players? Memphis who weren't far off? Or San Antonio who had significantly more white players?

What about the majority of San Antonios roster being born outside of the U.S, does that mean they have something against U.S players?

How can you not see how ignorant you are being?

BigCityofDreams
03-18-2014, 12:15 PM
still waiting for proof of racism. burden of proof is on you buddy.
put up or shut up. really not expecting you to provide anything so you can just go ahead and shut up.

If it wasn't crossing the line would he have felt the need to apologize?

blahblahyoutoo
03-18-2014, 05:12 PM
If it wasn't crossing the line would he have felt the need to apologize?

1. "crossing the line" != racism
2. anytime a politician opens his mouth, he's bound to offend people and will be demanded to make a public statement/apology/retraction

BigCityofDreams
03-18-2014, 05:43 PM
1. "crossing the line" != racism
2. anytime a politician opens his mouth, he's bound to offend people and will be demanded to make a public statement/apology/retraction

In this situation it does

WSU Tony
03-19-2014, 02:05 PM

You're "that guy" who always plays the race card, right? A guy makes a comment about the NBA and crime and all of a sudden it is a race issue?

When a comment not pertaining to race is made and you make it a race issue, I call you (and with reason) over sensitive.

blahblahyoutoo
03-19-2014, 02:12 PM
In this situation it does

present proof please.

lamzoka
03-19-2014, 03:00 PM
You're "that guy" who always plays the race card, right? A guy makes a comment about the NBA and crime and all of a sudden it is a race issue?

When a comment not pertaining to race is made and you make it a race issue, I call you (and with reason) over sensitive.

STFU. u don't know me

NBA_Starter
03-19-2014, 10:25 PM
Who cares what this guy thinks.

BigCityofDreams
03-20-2014, 01:14 PM
present proof please.

The proof is in the comment he made. There has always been a negative stereotype attached to the NBA over the past several yrs despite the league taking steps to get past it.

hugepatsfan
03-20-2014, 05:13 PM
The proof is in the comment he made. There has always been a negative stereotype attached to the NBA over the past several yrs despite the league taking steps to get past it.

That's not what he's asking you to prove. He's asking you to prove that his stereotype of the NBA is racist. Is it possible? Sure. Likely? Maybe. But the point is that you have no proof of your claim other than the context that you yourself applied to his statements. Just like he's stereotyping the NBA, you're stereotyping that a white male who thinks the NBA is filled with criminals is racist.

And as far as your earlier point about it being racist because he apologized... of course he apologized. Because in America today tolerance is as much a marketing ploy as it is a genuine belief in what is right. People like you who apply their own context to actions and interpret them as racist create an environment where people feel the need to go out of their way to give off the impression that they are tolerant. Just actually being tolerant isn't enough because people like you can apply their own context to your actions. You have to go over the top to ensure that no one can interpret your actions as any way being racist at all. People who are quick to "pull the race card" have essentially reduced an important civil rights issue into a ****ing marketing campaign.

BigCityofDreams
03-21-2014, 10:46 AM
That's not what he's asking you to prove. He's asking you to prove that his stereotype of the NBA is racist. Is it possible? Sure. Likely? Maybe. But the point is that you have no proof of your claim other than the context that you yourself applied to his statements. Just like he's stereotyping the NBA, you're stereotyping that a white male who thinks the NBA is filled with criminals is racist.

And as far as your earlier point about it being racist because he apologized... of course he apologized. Because in America today tolerance is as much a marketing ploy as it is a genuine belief in what is right. People like you who apply their own context to actions and interpret them as racist create an environment where people feel the need to go out of their way to give off the impression that they are tolerant. Just actually being tolerant isn't enough because people like you can apply their own context to your actions. You have to go over the top to ensure that no one can interpret your actions as any way being racist at all. People who are quick to "pull the race card" have essentially reduced an important civil rights issue into a ****ing marketing campaign.

No one applied any type of context to his statement or made it more than it was. It wasn't as if he said I'm not a fan of the NBA I like the NFL more and then someone said well then you're a racist if you don't like the NBA. He was making an assumption and pretty much a stupid statement in general.

Now yes we do live in a very pc world but that doesn't mean statements like his aren't about race when many ppl feel that his comments were racial.