PDA

View Full Version : These playoffs, will you root for easy matchups or exciting basketball ?

Chronz
03-09-2014, 08:15 PM
By that I mean, are you more a fan of your team or the NBA game? Win or lose, would you rather see your team face the least amount of resistance or would you rather the playoffs be loaded with the absolute best teams/series possible?

I have little doubt that most will vote for their teams, hell, I started this thread because as a Clippers fan, Id rather face a team like Phoenix in the first round but part of me wants a rematch with Memphis, knowing damn well the history behind them will make it a slugfest.

Curious to see how many actually want the test. For those of you who have no teams in the playoffs, just use your imagination.

Sly Guy
03-09-2014, 08:19 PM
I'm a raps fan, and as such, I hold no illusions about who my team can/can't beat and how far they're going this year. I want to see my team face the toughest road possible, test our guys this year to help them grow. I'd love for us to go up against an indy, or a chicago...

Chronz
03-09-2014, 08:27 PM
I'm a raps fan, and as such, I hold no illusions about who my team can/can't beat and how far they're going this year. I want to see my team face the toughest road possible, test our guys this year to help them grow. I'd love for us to go up against an indy, or a chicago...

Really? So lets say both Indy and Miami somehow face a G.7 in the first round, you really rooting for both Miami and Indy? I personally want Houston and GS to face each other in the first round to eliminate a could be contender early.

Riodagoat
03-09-2014, 08:32 PM
For the East, it doesn't really matter because MIA and IND will both sweep everybody until they both meet in the ECF.

The West is a different story. I'd like to see a first round matchup between any of these 4 teams: OKC, GSW, HOU, LAC. I really like to see GSW v LAC in the first round just because how much beef there is between them. Don't see it happening though, at least not in the first round. LAC HOU and OKC GSW in the first round would be more plausible. Still should be a fun matchup though.

Sly Guy
03-09-2014, 08:38 PM
Really? So lets say both Indy and Miami somehow face a G.7 in the first round, you really rooting for both Miami and Indy? I personally want Houston and GS to face each other in the first round to eliminate a could be contender early.

I would, actually. Well, maybe not miami, I don't wanna see them get another one, if only because it's starting to get boring, and to give LBJ something to think about come contract time.

JLynn943
03-09-2014, 08:39 PM
My team isn't in it, so I want to see the best basketball possible. If the Kings were in it though, I'd want the easiest path without a doubt.

nastynice
03-09-2014, 08:46 PM
dubs fan, I definitely want to see both the clippers and rockets. Both would be very tough series, but I would love to see them play out. So I guess I'm saying exciting. But that's because I have a lot of confidence in my team, and think they have pretty legitimate shot against anyone else.

king4day
03-09-2014, 08:53 PM
Always root for the best matchup for your team. But as a casual fan, I'd want best matchup. I'd love to see Chicago/Miami in round 2.

king4day
03-09-2014, 08:55 PM
For the East, it doesn't really matter because MIA and IND will both sweep everybody until they both meet in the ECF.

The West is a different story. I'd like to see a first round matchup between any of these 4 teams: OKC, GSW, HOU, LAC. I really like to see GSW v LAC in the first round just because how much beef there is between them. Don't see it happening though, at least not in the first round. LAC HOU and OKC GSW in the first round would be more plausible. Still should be a fun matchup though.

After today, I think Chicago can give both teams some problems. But in the end, it'll be Indy/Miami in the ECF.

ManRam
03-09-2014, 08:55 PM
If hypothetically my favorite team was in the playoffs, I'd root for easy match ups unabashedly.

John Walls Era
03-09-2014, 09:08 PM

Clippers will beat the Rockets. I can guarantee that. Jordan matches up very well with Dwight. CP3 destroys either PG the Rockets have.

John Walls Era
03-09-2014, 09:09 PM
Im hoping Raptors get Wizards instead of Nets. THey can beat the Wizards in 5, but Nets could be tough in the playoffs for an inexperienced team.

MrfadeawayJB
03-09-2014, 09:28 PM
If hypothetically my favorite team was in the playoffs, I'd root for easy match ups unabashedly.

This. Anybody other than my team I'll root for great games/series

0nekhmer
03-09-2014, 09:32 PM
As a Raptors fan, I'd just like to see them compete and hopefully get into the second round and see how they square off vs more experienced teams

Riodagoat
03-09-2014, 09:33 PM
After today, I think Chicago can give both teams some problems. But in the end, it'll be Indy/Miami in the ECF.

I don't. Chicago always play like they are playing in Game 7 of a Finals series. Other team tend to downplay them. Once the playoffs start, the teams that need to turn it on actually increase their effort.

NBA_Starter
03-09-2014, 10:01 PM
Exciting basketball all day.

Chronz
03-09-2014, 10:40 PM
Clippers will beat the Rockets. I can guarantee that. Jordan matches up very well with Dwight. CP3 destroys either PG the Rockets have.
Yea, dont know how the seedings play out but if given the choice between those 2 teams or Portland, Id rather face Portland.

Stunner
03-09-2014, 10:50 PM
I don't. Chicago always play like they are playing in Game 7 of a Finals series. Other team tend to downplay them. Once the playoffs start, the teams that need to turn it on actually increase their effort.

Most of that is due to Chicago having a non healthy roster in the playoffs . Bulls were suppose to lose to the nets last year but beat them in 7 with Deng , Rose and Kirk out and then went to steal a game against Miami with no Deng or Rose . Bulls play the best they can with what they have . Bulls haven't had a full roster in the playoffs since 2010 .

Tapatalk Rulez !!!

rex.reyesiii
03-09-2014, 11:22 PM
I'm a MIA fan, but I think I would like to have CHI vs. BKN vs. IND go at it on rounds 1 or 2.

BKN vs. CHA on round 1. :)

TrueFan420
03-09-2014, 11:28 PM
Yea, dont know how the seedings play out but if given the choice between those 2 teams or Portland, Id rather face Portland.

Right now the clipper, rockets, warriors and trailblazers are all close and most likely battling it out for who faces who. I think the rockets clippers will avoid eachother with the warriors maybe catching one while the blazers slip to 6.

As a warrior I'd be ok with any of them but I'd want the clippers even tho Portland is the most inexperienced of the bunch. The warriors and clippers always get up for each other and it gets crazy chippy. Plus I'd love to knock Blake out of the playoffs.

Trwood12
03-09-2014, 11:35 PM
Exciting games all the way. Who wants to watch a boring playoff series?

Chronz
03-09-2014, 11:56 PM
Right now the clipper, rockets, warriors and trailblazers are all close and most likely battling it out for who faces who. I think the rockets clippers will avoid eachother with the warriors maybe catching one while the blazers slip to 6.

As a warrior I'd be ok with any of them but I'd want the clippers even tho Portland is the most inexperienced of the bunch. The warriors and clippers always get up for each other and it gets crazy chippy. Plus I'd love to knock Blake out of the playoffs.

Yea, that would be a bloodbath, would love to see you guys eliminated by the Rockets but at the same time, it would be a fun series IMO. I hate that you could throw Iggy and Klay at CP3, Blake would have a much bigger responsibility that series and DJ vs Bogut reminds me too much of Gasol and the way he froze out DJ. The hardest possible route for the Clips would be Rockets in R.1, Warriors in R.2 and the Finalists. I dont know it thats plausible, havent looked at the seeding possibilities but that would be a nightmare come true as a fan.

torocan
03-10-2014, 12:12 AM

I think most fans of GSW, the Rockets, and the Clippers would rather face Portland in the 1st round. They just have serious lack of depth in their roster that can be exploited over a 7 game series.

However, given the middle seeding I think you're most likely going to see Houston/Clippers as the 3/4 (interchangeable) facing off against GSW/Portland, so no matter how you cut it it's going to be exciting basketball.

GSW has a bit of a rivalry with both the Rockets and the Clippers. And Portland can explode on anyone when they shoot well.

The 1st round in the West is looking like must watch basketball... wish I could say the same for the Eastern conference... :(

Tony_Starks
03-10-2014, 12:24 AM
My squad isn't it but typically I want them to play the best teams available. To be the best you should beat the best....

Sadds The Gr8
03-10-2014, 12:26 AM
easy matchups. hope washington falls to 6 and Raps stay at 3.

Slug3
03-10-2014, 12:33 AM
I hope Chicago faces Indy instead of beating on Miami. Even if Miami would sweep them, they would make that the toughest 4 game series for us.

dalton749
03-10-2014, 12:44 AM
i want to see a second round in the east with chicago-miami and indiana-toronto so thats at least some good ball in the east

mightybosstone
03-10-2014, 12:51 AM
I love the NBA and I want to watch good, quality basketball whenever I can. But I'm a Rockets fan first and an NBA fan second. Sure, a series with the Clippers or Thunder would be great and entertaining, but I'd like Houston to avoid those matchups like the plague. As long as the Blazers keep falling, I'll be happy, because it ensures the Rockets and Clippers can't face each other until the WCF. I'm hoping OKC keeps their No. 1 spot and the Rockets can face Golden State, Portland, Phoenix or Dallas in the first round and then get the Spurs in the second. Then they can get whoever is left out of LA and OKC in the WCF should they beat the Spurs.

So, long answer short, I'll always take the easiest path to the Finals. Every team in the West is a worthy opponent and any team can beat Houston or be beaten by Houston. But playoffs in basketball are all about matchups, and certain teams are just going to play better or worse against certain other teams.

TrueFan420
03-10-2014, 01:58 AM
Yea, that would be a bloodbath, would love to see you guys eliminated by the Rockets but at the same time, it would be a fun series IMO. I hate that you could throw Iggy and Klay at CP3, Blake would have a much bigger responsibility that series and DJ vs Bogut reminds me too much of Gasol and the way he froze out DJ. The hardest possible route for the Clips would be Rockets in R.1, Warriors in R.2 and the Finalists. I dont know it thats plausible, havent looked at the seeding possibilities but that would be a nightmare come true as a fan.
Hahaha nice use of words there

Goose17
03-10-2014, 12:30 PM
I'm 50/50, I understand the benefits obviously, of playing a lesser team or a team you match up well against, but call me crazy... I tend to root for the tougher match ups, I would rather see my team beat the best instead of beating scrubs.

I don't want my team to take the easy route, I want them to EARN their victory. There's no glory in beating a bunch of teams that you completely outmatch. It's a cop out imho.

From these playoffs, I want the Clips in the first round, it will be a blood bath and I want a rematch with San Antonio.

I'm a Warriors fan first, and we wouldn't be Warriors if we were just slaughtering the weak.

SPURSFAN1
03-10-2014, 12:49 PM
People underestimate the spurs too much. This team can go big, go small, best 3 point shooting team, proven superstars, proven role players, proven coach, this team takes your strengths and makes it your weakness. We're coasting to the best record in the nba through a whole bunch of injuries, and we got our full squad now.

BenFrank
03-10-2014, 01:15 PM
Rockets Fan:

Teams I would like to see in the First or Second: GS, Portland, Spurs

Teams I don't want to see until the Conference Finals: OKC, LAC

SPURSFAN1
03-10-2014, 01:33 PM
Rockets Fan:

Team I would love to see last. okc. Everyone else is easy pickings.

BenFrank
03-10-2014, 02:02 PM
Team I would love to see last. okc. Everyone else is easy pickings.

If the Rockets are so easy how come y'all haven't beat us this year? This not the Same Rockets from the past, and SA is getting older by the second.. not to mention James Harden is a Spurs Killer! ask Skip Bayless how he would feel about a SA/Hou match up

SPURSFAN1
03-10-2014, 02:06 PM
If the Rockets are so easy how come y'all haven't beat us this year? This not the Same Rockets from the past, and SA is getting older by the second.. not to mention James Harden is a Spurs Killer! ask Skip Bayless how he would feel about a SA/Hou match up

James without KD or Westbrook and the refs in game 6 isn't much. Dwight going to save yall in the playoffs? Nope. Parsons? how'd he do last year? Thought so. If you think the rockets can beat the spurs in a 7 game series you're delusional.

kdspurman
03-10-2014, 02:26 PM
It's not impossible for the Spurs to lose to Houston if that happened. I also don't make too much of the regular season series either. SA is just getting healthy and playing better now, and Houston is obviously playing better now (very very good offensive team). In the playoffs when it's about making adjustments from game to game and executing and getting timely stops, I would still bet on SA. I'm also obviously a Spurs fan, so there's that. But that's my feeling on it

BenFrank
03-10-2014, 02:27 PM
James without KD or Westbrook and the refs in game 6 isn't much. Dwight going to save yall in the playoffs? Nope. Parsons? how'd he do last year? Thought so. If you think the rockets can beat the spurs in a 7 game series you're delusional.

lol, your delusional if u think the Spurs are invincible.. Wow u bring up Parsons, like it a huge point, a guy who was in his second year and first time in the playoffs, he's a year older and a lot better than he was last year.. Excuse me for not fearing them as much as I use too..

lol, please
03-10-2014, 02:29 PM
By that I mean, are you more a fan of your team or the NBA game? Win or lose, would you rather see your team face the least amount of resistance or would you rather the playoffs be loaded with the absolute best teams/series possible?

I have little doubt that most will vote for their teams, hell, I started this thread because as a Clippers fan, Id rather face a team like Phoenix in the first round but part of me wants a rematch with Memphis, knowing damn well the history behind them will make it a slugfest.

Curious to see how many actually want the test. For those of you who have no teams in the playoffs, just use your imagination.
I always root for the best matchups, whether my team is in or not. If my team is in, then I want to beat the best to be the best.

John Walls Era
03-10-2014, 02:40 PM
easy matchups. hope washington falls to 6 and Raps stay at 3.

yes. that's what I said.

Raps can beat Wizards in 5. They might struggle against the Nets. It will be similar to 2007 imo (not that the Raptors will lose in 6) in that Raptors might lose HCA due to inexperience.

KnicksorBust
03-10-2014, 04:52 PM

:laugh:

x2. You know it's bad when you have to root for your team to draw the Pacers in round 1. #knicksproblems #applejaxtotherescue

KnicksorBust
03-10-2014, 04:54 PM
Rockets Fan:

You would LIKE the Spurs or Warriors. The West is so f'ing brutal.

numba1CHANGsta
03-10-2014, 05:10 PM
The West will have exciting match ups, but the East will have boring match ups until the 2nd round. Im hoping for Heat vs Bulls and Pacers vs Nets

BenFrank
03-10-2014, 05:19 PM

It's more of a match up thing, I think Houston matches up well with GS( 2-1 w/ GS win in OT (5-2 last 2 yrs ) SA (3-0 with one game to play in Houston) and Portland 3-1, the Clippers and the Thunder have had our # this year though.. so I feel they would be our toughest out.. but yea the West is crazy good... there is no such thing as a easy series

Goose17
03-10-2014, 05:35 PM
People underestimate the spurs too much. This team can go big, go small, best 3 point shooting team, proven superstars, proven role players, proven coach, this team takes your strengths and makes it your weakness. We're coasting to the best record in the nba through a whole bunch of injuries, and we got our full squad now.

Who is underestimating them?

sunsfan88
03-10-2014, 06:18 PM
If they make playoffs, I'd rather the Suns play the Blazers, Clippers or Warriors than OKC, SAS or Houston.

I think Suns (with a healthy Bledsoe) have a fair chance of beating Portland, LAC or GS but I don't see it with OKC, SAS or Houston.

torocan
03-10-2014, 06:19 PM

No joke.

The West has 10 teams with records of .500 or better. The East has 6.
The #3 seed in the East (Toronto) would be the #10 seed in the West.
The top 6 seeds in the West all have 40 wins or better and will most likely will ALL reach 50+ wins.
The #8 seed in the East has a record of 26-35... 9 games under .500.

The #5-8 seeds in the West will most likely be Portland, GSW, and Dallas/Memphis/Phoenix for the last 2 spots.

Based off records today, the first round would be...

Spurs - Memphis
OKC - Dallas
Houston - GSW
Clippers - Portland

You basically just have to have warm bodies to make the play offs in the East...

sunsfan88
03-10-2014, 06:20 PM
Thing is that SAS is so old, there's no guarantee that they will be healthy by playoffs start or if they can even make it through playoffs healthy.

SPURSFAN1
03-10-2014, 07:21 PM
Thing is that SAS is so old, there's no guarantee that they will be healthy by playoffs start or if they can even make it through playoffs healthy.

You can say that about any team. The spurs and okc are the only teams that get more health criticism, because we're the only teams that can going to win the west. No other team can say that.

Blitzbolt
03-10-2014, 09:04 PM
Clips,Spurs,OKC that's what I want as a grizz fan .We have the best Defense in the West so I'm not afraid of anyone.

John Walls Era
03-10-2014, 09:09 PM
There no easy matchup in the West. I can't see any team winning 4-0 in the first round.

RLundi
03-10-2014, 09:35 PM
Sounds like somewhat of a loaded question.

COOLbeans
03-10-2014, 10:23 PM
I want the Rockets or blazers in the 1st round and the Clippers in the 2nd. Basically the easiest path available.

John Walls Era
03-11-2014, 12:25 AM
This is why I don't want Raps vs Nets. I think getting the 4th seed and then playing Wizards would be good. Then they might face Pacers who they have a history of playing close games with.

Chronz
03-11-2014, 12:31 AM
I want the Rockets or blazers in the 1st round and the Clippers in the 2nd. Basically the easiest path available.
Im assuming you dont have the Suns as a playoff team or do you think Memphis is easier than them? Or is it impossible to envision the Warriors finishing high enough to play Dallas.

Kashmir13579
03-11-2014, 01:59 AM
I know its cliche, but you have to beat the best to be the best. Thats the reality. That it makes for exciting match-ups is a well-deserved bonus..

Speaking of chicago and exciting basketball... Remember that 2007 (or was it 2008) round 1 series with Bulls and Celtics... That was a great series... What ever happened to Ben Gordon, anyway?

Kashmir13579
03-11-2014, 02:00 AM
There no easy matchup in the West. I can't see any team winning 4-0 in the first round.

I agree with this... West teams have beaten the crap out of each other this year...

Hawkeye15
03-11-2014, 02:30 AM
my team sucks so obviously I root for great matchups

kdspurman
03-11-2014, 09:41 AM

They made it healthy last year, except TP who got hurt in the finals. It's why Pop is the best for how he manages their minutes. And it's really just TD/Manu who are old. And TD is still one of the better 2 way bigs in the game now. He plays the game in a way that limits his possibilities of getting hurt. Can't say the same for Manu though lol

COOLbeans
03-11-2014, 01:57 PM
Im assuming you dont have the Suns as a playoff team or do you think Memphis is easier than them? Or is it impossible to envision the Warriors finishing high enough to play Dallas.

If Portland continues to slide, I don't think the Warriors get any higher than the 5th seed. Houston and the Clippers both bring something to the table that can present problems for the Dubs, and the Warriors have proven that they can beat both of those teams, so the potential Houston or Clippers matchup is a wash for me.

COOLbeans
03-11-2014, 02:00 PM

Still cant imagine how good you guys would be if you'd kept Lawson or Burke instead of Rubio. I think you could've flipped Rubio to a big market when his stock was high and could've gotten some good pieces, and even 1st round draft picks.

ChicagoJ
03-11-2014, 02:35 PM
I'd like to see bulls/heat in the 2nd round. If the heat get past the bulls, then I'd like to see pacers/heat. If they happen to get through that round, I'd like to see spurs/heat in the finals.

boboo73
03-11-2014, 02:45 PM

Chicago does play hard basically every night but you are completely wrong if you think other good teams do not get up to play the Bulls. Indiana and Miami both bring it when they play the Bulls. That Raptors game against the Bulls, in Toronto, was a playoff like atmosphere and the Bulls came out ahead.

Goose17
03-11-2014, 04:10 PM

People have been saying that for years now, people were saying it last year, look how that turned out.

Some people see the Spurs "big 3" as being too old, I don't see it as old, I see it as more playoff experience between the 3 of them than the entire Phoenix, Clippers, Houston or GSW rosters combined.

Spurs are still the heavy favourites to win it all in my mind.

Kashmir13579
03-11-2014, 04:59 PM

hahaha same here... We aren't given a choice in the matter...

John Walls Era
03-11-2014, 11:23 PM

They can still make the playoffs....

sunsfan88
03-17-2014, 02:15 AM
You can say that about any team. The spurs and okc are the only teams that get more health criticism, because we're the only teams that can going to win the west. No other team can say that.

OKC doesn't have as much a health criticism cause their best players are still in their mid 20s. The older you are, the likely you are to run out of gas or get injured.

Ebbs
03-17-2014, 04:11 AM
Give me the easiest road to a ship. If we can beat the Spurs along the way all the better. But as a Mavs fan do I want OKC first? **** no!

TorontoHuskies
03-17-2014, 06:14 AM
Exciting...I want to face and beat the best and if they can't then they didn't deserve it. I want nets first, then indiana, heat, OKC.

YoungOne
03-17-2014, 06:32 AM
my team is not in the playoffs(celtics), but I always root for easy wins, dont want drama with my team.