PDA

View Full Version : If Dwight stayed with the Lakers instead of signing with the Rockets...

FOBolous
03-09-2014, 03:20 AM
...how would the Lakers be doing right now? Just as bad, middle of the road, or playoff contention?

Lakers + Giants
03-09-2014, 03:57 AM
We'd be worse off than we are now. Our record would be better but we would still not be in playoff contention.

Mediocre team, but not bad enough to get a good draft pick.

We won't be good til 2016 at the earliest, so Dwight would just be rotting here. Dwight leaving was ultimately the best move for both sides.

slashsnake
03-09-2014, 04:26 AM
We'd be worse off than we are now. Our record would be better but we would still not be in playoff contention.

We won't be good til 2016 at the earliest, so Dwight would just be rotting here. Dwight leaving was ultimately the best move for both sides.

Agree there... I like kobe a LOT, but his bit about revenge being quick... Not sure I see it. Would be nice to see him prove it right, but wow, I have to be a doubter on that one.

Rndy
03-09-2014, 04:41 AM
He'd be miserable he made the right call and probably made it the day D'antoni was hired have one of the best defensive Centers to ever play the game and you hire a guy who could care less. Was a slap in the face to a great player and I'm happy he's playing in a nice young core team with Harden-Parsons-Beverly nice team needs a few additions before I believe they can win it all a better pick and pop PF while leaving space for Howard, a veteran shooter off the bench, and possibly a better play making point guard to take pressure off of Harden.

I do really love what Beverly brings to the table though great defender, good 3 point shooter, and great rebounder. Beverly for me is one of the top 3 candidates to run a Triangle offense along with George Hill and Jimmer.

John Walls Era
03-09-2014, 05:20 AM
Probably 10th seed. If you watch Dwight compared to his Magic days, you can clearly see he has lost a lot of explosiveness. I remember when you could throw it up and he'd dunk with people holding on to him.

PurpleJesus
03-09-2014, 05:25 AM

c.c.
03-10-2014, 08:43 AM

With this being said why LAL fans still hate the guy, they rather him waste his career. Are they that selfish?

Dade County
03-10-2014, 08:58 AM
With this being said why LAL fans still hate the guy, the rather him waste his career. Are they that selfish?

Most fans are selfish.

torocan
03-10-2014, 09:03 AM
With this being said why LAL fans still hate the guy, the rather him waste his career. Are they that selfish?

No team likes seeing talent walk for nothing, especially talent that they wanted to keep so badly they posted billboards outside the arena begging him to stay. Think of it like having a girlfriend breaking up with you, even though deep down you know that it's probably for the best -- intellectually you know it's a good thing but deep down you're asking what could she be thinking, after all, you're great, right?

As for the OP, I think the Lakers would be a fringe play off team this year. With Kobe and Nash injured and Pau playing poorly... Dwight + rotation players wasn't going to go all that far.

1st round pick is probably the best thing that can happen to the Lakers right now since they'd just be 1st round fodder with Dwight.

Teeboy1487
03-10-2014, 09:26 AM

This is my opinion as well. I actually wanted the Lakers to trade him last year around the deadline because the writing was on the wall for him leaving. The Lakers FO were arrogant. It was clear he did not want to be here. Ultimately, I'm more mad at the Lakers FO for being so stupid.

As for Dwight, I'm so glad he walked and I also understood why. He want Phil as coach. The idiots hired Dantoni. Just pure stupidity. I was so embarrassed as a fan when the Lakers were putting up billboards for this guy. Very indicative of how bad the management of the franchise has fallen.

c.c.
03-10-2014, 09:48 AM
No team likes seeing talent walk for nothing, especially talent that they wanted to keep so badly they posted billboards outside the arena begging him to stay. Think of it like having a girlfriend breaking up with you, even though deep down you know that it's probably for the best -- intellectually you know it's a good thing but deep down you're asking what could she be thinking, after all, you're great, right?

As for the OP, I think the Lakers would be a fringe play off team this year. With Kobe and Nash injured and Pau playing poorly... Dwight + rotation players wasn't going to go all that far.

1st round pick is probably the best thing that can happen to the Lakers right now since they'd just be 1st round fodder with Dwight.

I understand teams don't like seeing talent walk like Lebron who actually got drafted by the Cavs and made his name with the Cavs. But in Dwight case, the Lakers traded for a guy who that he wasn't gonna verbally commit to a team. The Lakers just know for sure that Dwight was gonna stay but gave him no reason to. All the Lakers could say is "We are the LA Lakers, we are a big market, and a historical franchise".

mightybosstone
03-10-2014, 10:52 AM
I think Kobe, Nash and Gasol would have more more of an effort to play more this season and they'd at least be hovering around .500 and fighting for the 8th seed similar to last season. But as others have already said, I think they'd be worse off in the long run. Howard would be miserable there, and they wouldn't have a top 5 draft pick to build around next season. Howard is much happier playing for a much better core of players in Houston, and the Lakers are better off rebuilding from scratch. Now if only they hadn't just paid Kobe all that money...

NFLNBA
03-10-2014, 11:02 AM
Def best for both teams! Howard is not a franchise player. A great #2. he is no Shaq, Wilt, Kareem ect His best chance was for Houston and Lakers need to start over so best for both sides

Tony_Starks
03-10-2014, 11:04 AM
Still not a playoff team but just good enough not to get a nice pick. More Dwight drama all season.

The only good that wouldve come from it is DAntoni would've been fired early in the season.

But we'd have been screwed financially and player wise for years.

No thanks.

DODGERS&LAKERS
03-10-2014, 11:05 AM
This is my opinion as well. I actually wanted the Lakers to trade him last year around the deadline because the writing was on the wall for him leaving. The Lakers FO were arrogant. It was clear he did not want to be here. Ultimately, I'm more mad at the Lakers FO for being so stupid.

As for Dwight, I'm so glad he walked and I also understood why. He want Phil as coach. The idiots hired Dantoni. Just pure stupidity. I was so embarrassed as a fan when the Lakers were putting up billboards for this guy. Very indicative of how bad the management of the franchise has fallen.

It was only one billboard outside their building. It probably cost about $1,500.00. Not that big a deal.

Nobody makes this d-league team a playoff contender in the west. They might have five more wins which would essentially be a tank buster.

Tony_Starks
03-10-2014, 11:07 AM
I think Kobe, Nash and Gasol would have more more of an effort to play more this season and they'd at least be hovering around .500 and fighting for the 8th seed similar to last season. But as others have already said, I think they'd be worse off in the long run. Howard would be miserable there, and they wouldn't have a top 5 draft pick to build around next season. Howard is much happier playing for a much better core of players in Houston, and the Lakers are better off rebuilding from scratch. Now if only they hadn't just paid Kobe all that money...

Kobe has a broken leg and Nash has nerve damage. Those aren't injuries you can just tough out and play through bro. They literally can't go, can't even practice.

Unless Dwight has the healing powers of Jesus his presence wouldn't have changed that...

DODGERS&LAKERS
03-10-2014, 11:13 AM
With this being said why LAL fans still hate the guy, they rather him waste his career. Are they that selfish?

If you think that Laker fans only started to dislike Dwight after he left you are mistaken. I recall all of last season where plenty of Laker fans on PSD and lots of other places were wishing he were gone. Granted, he was coming off an injury and he was not what he was in Orlando. So we did not get what Dwight was in Orlando, and that is what we expected. We did not cut him any slack which was wrong. His personality does not pass the smell test. It seems forced and not really funny. He tries to be the life of the party and it did not play well while he was not playing well. Manram, who disliked Dwight felt the need to constantly defend Dwight in the Laker forum because nobody liked him and were always talking crap about him.

mightybosstone
03-10-2014, 11:14 AM
Kobe has a broken leg and Nash has nerve damage. Those aren't injuries you can just tough out and play through bro. They literally can't go, can't even practice.

Unless Dwight has the healing powers of Jesus his presence wouldn't have changed that...
No way does Kobe miss the entire season, though. He'd be busting his *** right now to get back on the floor if the Lakers even had a remote chance of making the playoffs. But the guy has no motivation to come back, and I'm sure he probably wouldn't want to come back to play on this team.

Jeffy25
03-10-2014, 11:24 AM

Yup

I'd say 5-10 wins better possibly. Which is just enough to hurt the Lakers unfortunately.

Tony_Starks
03-10-2014, 11:39 AM
If you think that Laker fans only started to dislike Dwight after he left you are mistaken. I recall all of last season where plenty of Laker fans on PSD and lots of other places were wishing he were gone. Granted, he was coming off an injury and he was not what he was in Orlando. So we did not get what Dwight was in Orlando, and that is what we expected. We did not cut him any slack which was wrong. His personality does not pass the smell test. It seems forced and not really funny. He tries to be the life of the party and it did not play well while he was not playing well. Manram, who disliked Dwight felt the need to constantly defend Dwight in the Laker forum because nobody liked him and were always talking crap about him.

Yeah I think people just took the Laker fans hate Dwight cliche and ran with it. The only reason he even gets boo'd now is he was seen as a clown and a whiny Diva when he was here. Not built for LA. But basketball wise 99% of us were more than happy to see him hit the road.

Even on this forum the only time Laker fans speak on D12 is when baited or when delusional fans try to convince people he's the second coming of Shaq or Hakeem.....

ztilzer31
03-10-2014, 11:54 AM
It would be better. They probably still wouldn't be able to make the playoffs (or they'd maybe be a 7th or 8th seed) but they'd be set up to make a move in the offseason.

The real problem is paying Kobe that huge extension for a guy who just missed a full season. However if they got Kobe for a decent deal, and kept Howard. They'd be a few pieces away from competing.

Their depth is horrible though. So it's hard to say that they'd have much success even with a couple superstars. You do need SOME role players.

FOBolous
03-10-2014, 12:09 PM
Yeah I think people just took the Laker fans hate Dwight cliche and ran with it. The only reason he even gets boo'd now is he was seen as a clown and a whiny Diva when he was here. Not built for LA. But basketball wise 99% of us were more than happy to see him hit the road.

Even on this forum the only time Laker fans speak on D12 is when baited or when delusional fans try to convince people he's the second coming of Shaq or Hakeem.....

Not built for LA? Oh god. Here comes the arrogance. What? Can he not handled the "spotlight" and have to run away to a "small market" team like a "coward" where he won't get any exposure therefore he'll feel no pressure?

Sly Guy
03-10-2014, 12:11 PM
they'd be a limbo team with a late lottery pick.

lakerfan85
03-10-2014, 12:20 PM

Who hates him?

lakerfan85
03-10-2014, 12:21 PM
No way does Kobe miss the entire season, though. He'd be busting his *** right now to get back on the floor if the Lakers even had a remote chance of making the playoffs. But the guy has no motivation to come back, and I'm sure he probably wouldn't want to come back to play on this team.

You have no idea what you're talking about... He's injured..

Jeffy25
03-10-2014, 12:59 PM
Of course, all of Jordan Hill's minutes would be given to Howard, and probably Williams and Kaman's as well.

Hill hasn't played to Howard's ability of course, but he also hasn't been completely worthless, and has actually been an above average player this year.

And even when Hill plays the 4, and Gasol plays the 5, wouldn't Gasol just be playing the 4 when Howard would be in?

I imagine the Lakers would be a little better, but they wouldn't be that much better. Kobe and Nash missing hurt more....considering they are getting worthless production from everyone not named Hill or Gasol (not saying Kobe or Nash are better than Howard, just that the team has no guard help to replace those two).

And yes, I do realize they had Hill regardless, but you have to consider that Hill's minutes would belong to Howard at the very least.

NFLNBA
03-10-2014, 01:42 PM
Of course, all of Jordan Hill's minutes would be given to Howard, and probably Williams and Kaman's as well.

Hill hasn't played to Howard's ability of course, but he also hasn't been completely worthless, and has actually been an above average player this year.

And even when Hill plays the 4, and Gasol plays the 5, wouldn't Gasol just be playing the 4 when Howard would be in?

I imagine the Lakers would be a little better, but they wouldn't be that much better. Kobe and Nash missing hurt more....considering they are getting worthless production from everyone not named Hill or Gasol (not saying Kobe or Nash are better than Howard, just that the team has no guard help to replace those two).

And yes, I do realize they had Hill regardless, but you have to consider that Hill's minutes would belong to Howard at the very least.

Do you even watch Laker games? Hill never plays, D'Antoni doesnt play him but 15 min a game, will play him big minuntes one game then he rides the pine for a week then will start for 2 games lol Gasol has had one good month of ball. He is averageing 17 & 9 on 32 minutes a game and 15 shots a game on 47% FG. Then on defense OMG he might as well not be there. Lakers best players this year have been Young and Meeks . Meeks is getting 15 pts, 3 reb, 1.5 stl on 52% FG and 40% from 3. Young was easily the 6th man of year winner before his injuries ave 17 pts on 28 min.

Bruno
03-10-2014, 02:16 PM
hard to say. does dwight still improve his diet in Los Angeles?

Dwight leaving was the best decision for Dwight, the Lakers and the Rockets. i have no issue with what happened.

the CP3 veto is what suspended Lakers success, not the Dwight Howard situation. Sterns veto has and will continue to have the single greatest ripple effect in todays league. it would have changed A LOT. the face of the league would be different.

given a player of Dwights natural ability, the Lakers would have won more games.

c.c.
03-10-2014, 04:13 PM

The guy got traded there after he said that he wasn't gonna verbally commit but so many Lakers affiliates know they was gonna change his mind like he's a dumb child who don't know what he wants.

c.c.
03-10-2014, 04:20 PM
Not built for LA? Oh god. Here comes the arrogance. What? Can he not handled the "spotlight" and have to run away to a "small market" team like a "coward" where he won't get any exposure therefore he'll feel no pressure?

That same arrogance that the Lakers organization and fans had when they thought they was going to persuade Dwight to resign there after a "1" year nightmare and a *****y old man Kobe

Trueblue2
03-10-2014, 07:43 PM
It was only one billboard outside their building. It probably cost about $1,500.00. Not that big a deal.

Nobody makes this d-league team a playoff contender in the west. They might have five more wins which would essentially be a tank buster.

Bro there were trucks pulling billboards on the freway... in south orange county...

Lakers + Giants
03-10-2014, 07:53 PM
Bro there were trucks pulling billboards on the freway... in south orange county...

There were like 3 billboards put up. "Trucks" LMAO, no. Did we look desperate wanting him to stay? Yes, but don't exaggerate. .

lakerfan85
03-10-2014, 08:06 PM
All I know is it's a good thing there were rockets fan vacationing in Colorado last summer when Dwight made his decision...

Tony_Starks
03-10-2014, 08:14 PM
I don't see how Rocket fans are even concerned with the Lakers. You have the "best center and best SG in basketball." Enjoy your future multiple championships, that what we did when we had our combo.....

Trueblue2
03-10-2014, 08:15 PM
There were like 3 billboards put up. "Trucks" LMAO, no. Did we look desperate wanting him to stay? Yes, but don't exaggerate. .

Im not...

NBA_Starter
03-10-2014, 10:58 PM
Prob middle of the road.

Avenged
03-10-2014, 11:01 PM
hard to say. does dwight still improve his diet in Los Angeles?

Dwight leaving was the best decision for Dwight, the Lakers and the Rockets. i have no issue with what happened.

the CP3 veto is what suspended Lakers success, not the Dwight Howard situation. Sterns veto has and will continue to have the single greatest ripple effect in todays league. it would have changed A LOT. the face of the league would be different.

given a player of Dwights natural ability, the Lakers would have won more games.

:(

ManRam
03-11-2014, 02:08 PM
Dwight's probably a guy who, when replacing a replacement level player or worse, is good for ~7 more wins on his lonesome. I think it's safe to assume that if he re-upped in LAL the environment would be a bit better there and it would mean that he truly wanted to be there. Some of the circus would be quelled. I always thought blaming his play on an inability to handle the spotlight was a narrative that spiraled out of control. Even the diet stuff was ridiculous to me. It's just little things to deflect blame and make him a scapegoat for problems that were always much larger. While there might be some truth to it, I don't think it's what turned a once-top-3 player in the league into a maybe top-5 or so center. I do think health had a lot to do with it, as did a new system, new players, bad coaching, multiple coaches, etc. etc. I'm rambling, but I think he'd be better (safe assumption), but the Lakers' roster as a whole still probably lacks the talent to really be a playoff contender.

But so much would be different that it's hard to say. So, again, I'll stick with the notion that Dwight alone is probably worth about 7 wins a season, so I'd say they'd be about 7 wins better.

The gains would be in the future, though. If they gave Kobe the same contract those gains maybe become a bit less than it could have been. I'd think, if winning is the objective, LAL would be less inclined to give Kobe a ridiculous contract (he's not worth what he'll be paid the next two years...regardless of whether or not you think he's "earned it" because of the past). Say they had Dwight, Kobe got hurt and they weren't contending. Maybe don't offer Kobe that contract, are more willing to move Pau, or just let him walk, and do work in these off seasons. While I think the notion that LAL can get whoever they want in FA is a silly one, with Dwight there and a boatload of money, it probably has a lot of merit.

They're better in all ways had Dwight stayed. That shouldn't be controversial. The only way they're helped out by him leaving is higher lottery odds.

Trueblue2
03-11-2014, 08:59 PM
Op is asking the wrong question. The real question is if phil had been hired over Dantoni. Dominant big, ball movement inside out, nashs 3pt ability, and a star wing. W meeks, blake, jamison, and hill coming off the bench, hell earl Clark could have been a phil guy in the right role. We were still extremely thin but phils presence would have attracted a few capable journemen. He definitely would have defined roles for players on that roster amd gotten the most out of it.

mrblisterdundee
03-12-2014, 02:23 AM
I don't think Dwight Howard and Pau Gasol made a good front court combo. Gasol seems to do better as a finesse center, while Howard could probably do with a power forward like Dirk Nowitzki, David Lee, Ryan Anderson or, if the rest of the team is already pretty good good, Andrea Bargnani. Meanwhile, I could see putting Gasol with defense-first power forwards such as Larry Sanders or Serge Ibaka who don't score as much.

Mcdoh
03-12-2014, 03:52 AM
that would not be good.. it could ruin our tank mode.

Deadpool
03-12-2014, 06:43 AM
W/ Mike D: Middle of the Road Team aka No mans land

Any other Head Coach: Probably an 7th or 8th seed