PDA

View Full Version : Other than your favorite team, which lottery team do you want to see land the #1 pick

sunsfan88
03-09-2014, 12:56 AM
For the sake of argument, imagine that your favorite team is a playoff team (if they aren't already) and/or that your favorite team does not have a lottery draft pick in this year's draft, which team do you want to see get the #1 pick of the draft?

*Note: This isn't a "which do you think will get the #1 pick", this is a "which team (other than your favorite team) do you think should get the #1 pick" thread.

I'm going to pick the Bucks. They sucked this season but they did it without tanking. They haven't been relevant in a while and I think it would be great to see them land one of the hot prospects from the draft and hopefully develop him into their superstar. Plus they aren't like the Lakers or Celtics who have had a lot of success in the past 7-8 years. Plus, it could help make the East at least a bit more competitive.

*Superman*
03-09-2014, 01:00 AM
The Bucks would be a good choice. The have been so irrelevant for so long. If not, Utah. I hope it's the Magic anyways.

Screw Philly, they better not get it. Most obvious tank job ever.

KnickaBocka.44
03-09-2014, 01:04 AM
Anyone but the Nuggets (presuming the Knicks fail to reach the playoffs).

blastmasta26
03-09-2014, 01:12 AM
I'm on board with the Bucks too, I like Giannis so I want him to be on a good team. Plus they're the most deserving.

kobebabe
03-09-2014, 01:21 AM
Anyone except Philly and celtics. Celtics just because am a laker fan and philly because they basically traded away all their talent for peanuts for the sake of tanking which is frustrating to say the least.

Cal827
03-09-2014, 01:29 AM
Timberwolves. That team's been screwed over so much by the draft lottery. Also, Hawkeye's response would be hilarious.

Bucks second. Cause I don't think they are tanking exactly, they are just that bad lol

At least not as obvious as the others.

Hopefully not the **** Cavs.

Kaner
03-09-2014, 01:38 AM
My first chose is the Pelicans but their not an option, a core of Davis, Evans, Holiday, and Wiggins could be a dynasty.

Minnesota, Memphis both could become instant contenders with the pick which would make next season really interesting.

east fb knicks
03-09-2014, 01:40 AM
the magic or sixers

Captain Moroni
03-09-2014, 02:04 AM
Jazz

j-bay
03-09-2014, 02:15 AM
The Celtics. The Celtics have had some great SFs in their history. John Havlicek, Larry Bird, Paul Pierce. I would like to see Andrew Wiggins added to that list.

jsthornton7
03-09-2014, 02:18 AM
I would like ORL to get the 1st pick because they are the Lakers biggest rival to draft Exum.

TorontoHuskies
03-09-2014, 02:21 AM
I don't know who has the dumbest GM on that list?

Lakers + Giants
03-09-2014, 04:02 AM
New Orleans for me, to pair someone up with davis :drool:

**** philly, **** boston, and **** the kings (last 6 years they've had a top 7 pick). The kings have had too many top 7 picks now for them to still suck, they don't deserve another chance.

slashsnake
03-09-2014, 04:23 AM
Hoping Denvers pick is #2, and the Knicks pick is #1... Maybe Melo could announce his new team and JR smith and Bargnani could find max contracts for 7 years in NY that night as well. Might as well let the Knicks tell Phil that they are going in another direction and hire back Isiah as GM again while we are at it...

Hey a guy can dream.

sunsfan88
03-09-2014, 04:58 AM
New Orleans for me, to pair someone up with davis :drool:

They don't have their pick, they brilliantly traded it away for Jrue Holliday.

sunsfan88
03-09-2014, 05:38 AM
So I guess it's established that none of us want the 76ers to get it :laugh2:

Heediot
03-09-2014, 06:03 AM
Memphis/Phoenix/Dallas who ever doesn't make the playoffs.

Embiid or Wiggins' could catapult these teams a few years down the line. Dallas would probably need the help right away.

5ass
03-09-2014, 06:07 AM
Damn. I voted milwaukee but im thinking maybe the wolves. I like runio and want to see love stay in minny, but they're too good to get the 1st pick so i wasnt thinkning if them as an option.

Guppyfighter
03-09-2014, 06:50 AM
They don't have their pick, they brilliantly traded it away for Jrue Holliday.

Top 5 protected.

Goose17
03-09-2014, 07:43 AM
Milwaukee, Orlando, Philly or Utah.

2-ONE-5
03-09-2014, 09:18 AM
So I guess it's established that none of us want the 76ers to get it :laugh2:

cant wait for us to get it and watch you hate it on it.

ATX
03-09-2014, 10:53 AM
In no particular order I'd like to see the Bucks, Jazz, Bobcats, Magic and TWolves get the top 5 picks.

sunsfan88
03-09-2014, 11:41 AM
cant wait for us to get it and watch you hate it on it.

By the look of things, doesn't look like I'll be the only one :p

And like Bill Simmons said, "team that try to lose and hit the lottery are the ones that end up staying in the lottery forever". ;)

2-ONE-5
03-09-2014, 11:54 AM
except we have a competent GM who knows what he is doing and on top of 2 top 10 or better picks we have the most cap room in the league. Rather have that than come in 9th place or get bounced in the first round every year like we have for a decade

leafswin2011
03-09-2014, 12:37 PM
Being a canadian i would love to see Wiggins on Cleveland with AB and Tristan Thompson.They would become my favorite team besides the Raps.

TorontoHuskies
03-09-2014, 01:05 PM
Being a canadian i would love to see Wiggins on Cleveland with AB and Tristan Thompson.They would become my favorite team besides the Raps.

I don't want anyone going to Cleveland until Mike Brown is fired. Cavs are single handedly F***ing up Bennett's career.

BenFrank
03-09-2014, 01:06 PM
Bucks, Wolves or Charlotte for me since there going back to the Hornets..

Jint.
03-09-2014, 01:18 PM
Globetrotters

LakerShow
03-09-2014, 01:29 PM
D fenders

ManRam
03-09-2014, 01:33 PM
I don't care at all really. Probably just not the Lakers, though.

theducksmuggler
03-09-2014, 02:13 PM
The Nuggets cause they have the Knicks pick and that would just be so funny if the knicks got the number 1 pick and they have to hand it to the Nuggets because of the Melo trade...idk that would just be funny to me

AIverson
03-09-2014, 02:45 PM
Timberwolves. Now that I can afford to attend games whenever I want, I want a player that's fun to watch.

Kyben36
03-09-2014, 02:59 PM
LOL at this thread, charlote had no chance at the #1, detroit pick is protected and their pick is liklely playoff bound

that said, i would love to see Embid on the Magic, or Wiggins for that mater,

Denver-boy
03-09-2014, 03:09 PM
bucks, got sanders, OJ, and Knight. ilaysova.... that kinda talented roster.... idk If #1 pick will be a successful their. might cripple their career. idk

LakerShow
03-09-2014, 03:12 PM
I don't care at all really. Probably just not the Lakers, though.

Why? Aren't you a lakers fan lol.

ManRam
03-09-2014, 03:17 PM
Why? Aren't you a lakers fan lol.

Absolutely!

I just think we've been so blessed for the last 40+ years. Gotta let some other cities shine!

Plus, we're obvs getting Kyrie, Love and Jesus in 2015, so who cares?

todu82
03-09-2014, 03:17 PM
Minnesota. Have always liked the team, be nice to see them get something great like the #1 pick.

Bruno
03-09-2014, 03:46 PM
the bucks.

Trueblue2
03-09-2014, 03:50 PM
Absolutely!

I just think we've been so blessed for the last 40+ years. Gotta let some other cities shine!

Plus, we're obvs getting Kyrie, Love and Jesus in 2015, so who cares?

Idk if we have the cap to go after jesus, plus there are age and injury conserns. Id rather target kd or westy im '16

On topic: in terms of the best situation for a no. 1 to succed (lal excluded) my order would be:

Magic
Denver (via nyk or thier own pick)
Bucks

All got role players that can shine in the presence of a franchise player, all young teams in need of a competent alpha.

COOLbeans
03-09-2014, 03:56 PM
Celtics or Bucks for obvious reasons..

Teeboy1487
03-09-2014, 04:11 PM
Lakers. I refuse objectivity since my team is so bad :). Well, maybe the Bucks.

ManRam
03-09-2014, 04:27 PM
I guess I pick Milwaukee, mainly because I'm a big Henson and Sanders fan...Giannis too.

Knight
Giannis/Wolters
Wiggins
Henson/Ilyasova
Sanders/Raduljica

Ideally someone better than Knight, but he's still young and cheap so whatever.

That's a fun roster.

Heediot
03-09-2014, 04:52 PM
I guess I pick Milwaukee, mainly because I'm a big Henson and Sanders fan...Giannis too.

Knight
Giannis/Wolters
Wiggins
Henson/Ilyasova
Sanders/Raduljica

Ideally someone better than Knight, but he's still young and cheap so whatever.

That's a fun roster.

That team would be so sick defensively.

DetroitBadBoy
03-09-2014, 06:12 PM
Bucks deserve it

TrueFan420
03-09-2014, 06:40 PM
Lol at the laker fan that picked his own side in the poll.

ManRam
03-09-2014, 06:47 PM
philly's the other team i'd pick.

i loved that holiday trade at the time. i'd love for their strategy of blowing it up when you're sitting in limbo to be rewarded with a great draft pick. tell me i support "tanking", IDC. they did the right thing.

Hawkeye15
03-09-2014, 06:48 PM
Timberwolves. That team's been screwed over so much by the draft lottery. Also, Hawkeye's response would be hilarious.

Bucks second. Cause I don't think they are tanking exactly, they are just that bad lol

At least not as obvious as the others.

Hopefully not the **** Cavs.

we would **** the pick up anyways.

My half *** reasoning for picking Charlotte:

Boston: Dont like them, they have had enough success
Philly: Hinkie put on the biggest tank display I have ever seen. Can't reward that
Bucks: My 2nd choice, but they had the Bogut pick a handful of years back, too soon
Denver: West competitor to my team
Charlotte: My pick
Orlando: How many #1 picks are we giving this team with franchise altering players at that spot?
Memphis: West team
Kings: West team
Lakers: HATE them, plus west team
Jazz: West team
Cavs: I think having two #1's in the last 3 years is good enough for them, doesn't everyone else?
Wolves: my team
Detroit: Wouldn't mind them either, but they are not far removed from being awesome, so no

Hawkeye15
03-09-2014, 06:50 PM

i loved that holiday trade at the time. i'd love for their strategy of blowing it up when you're sitting in limbo to be rewarded with a great draft pick. tell me i support "tanking", IDC. they did the right thing.

I don't mind tanking, but Hinkie is on another level. Like Bill Simmons said, would any of us be surprised if they signed Kevin Hart to a 10 day deal, and played him at this point?

ManRam
03-09-2014, 06:52 PM
we would **** the pick up anyways.

i think this draft is un-****-upable.

you already have a PG, so I'd imagine you'd pass (correctly) on Smart and Exum. I mean, Kahn is gone so I hope weird-draft-happenings-involving-PGs is over

i can't see how they wouldn't take wiggins or embiid, and i don't think either of them bust.

but yeah, if any team could blow the #1 pick this year, it's you guys! :hi5:

Tmath
03-09-2014, 06:55 PM
Nuggets for sure. Just to see Knicks fans reactions. :laugh2:

Hawkeye15
03-09-2014, 06:57 PM
i think this draft is un-****-upable.

you already have a PG, so I'd imagine you'd pass (correctly) on Smart and Exum. I mean, Kahn is gone so I hope weird-draft-happenings-involving-PGs is over

i can't see how they wouldn't take wiggins or embiid, and i don't think either of them bust.

but yeah, if any team could blow the #1 pick this year, it's you guys! :hi5:

Yeah, but last year we took Burke, traded him to Utah, and ended up with Shabazz and Dieng. So even when we DID take another PG, we ****ed up the trade...

We would be Detroit 03', cept we aren't nearly that good. We will take the dud right in the middle of franchise changing stars.

Shlumpledink
03-09-2014, 07:12 PM
At least the lakers are still playing hard, and playing their best players. If they didn't have injuries they could be competitive, but there have been so many injuries.

What the 76ers are doing is abhorrent, I hope their fans are giving their franchise hell. No one wants to see that, and they're really milking the system.

ManRam
03-09-2014, 07:18 PM
At least the lakers are still playing hard, and playing their best players. If they didn't have injuries they could be competitive, but there have been so many injuries.

What the 76ers are doing is abhorrent, I hope their fans are giving their franchise hell. No one wants to see that, and they're really milking the system.

I'd hope, more importantly, their fans realize that it's for the better. What's the alternative? Keep Evan Turner and win a few more games (maybe)? Fight hard for that 8 seed? Hell no.

JasonJohnHorn
03-09-2014, 07:20 PM
I actually want to see the Timberwolves get it!

There are a few teams I feel bad for that I'd like to see get it. Utah for one. They've been in the middle of the pack for so long and have never won. I'd also like to see Philly get it, but I don't like that they are so overtly tanking and do not want to see management get reward, though their fans deserve something. That said, Philly has won it before, so other city's could use the help.

The Bucks, likewise, have won, but their fans have not had much to root for since Allen was traded, and that was a LONG time ago.

New Orleans would be interesting, because they have a great nucleus in place. That would be a dynasty in the making if they landed a franchise player.

I am a Raptors and Pistons fan, so Pistons one and Raptors second.

That said, as much as I would LOVE to see a dynaty in Minny or New Orleans, if three eastern teams DONT get the top three picks, then the disparity is going to continue.

I'd say Cleveland would be a great city to get the pick, because they have never won anything in any pro sport, but I'm sure the management would just flush that pick down the toilet.

Orlando and Philly have so blatantly been tanking, I just don't think they should be rewarded, though they both need help.

Atlanta has a decent roster, so I'd be curious to see what kind of core they could put together with a first overall pick.

2-ONE-5
03-09-2014, 07:40 PM

it is fully embraced by the city or at least the ones who understand. this is whats neccessary and so far so good now we jsut need the balls to fall our way. what no one here wants to see if another decade of 6-8 seeds and early exits in the playoffs

ManRam
03-09-2014, 07:59 PM
Orlando and Philly have so blatantly been tanking, I just don't think they should be rewarded, though they both need help.

I'd like you to elaborate why Orlando's "tanking" is reprehensible. Since trading Dwight (not a tank move...rather, the RIGHT move), what moves have been so sabotaging?

Trading JJ for a nice long-term piece?
Cutting Baby because he 1) was sucking and 2) was blocking the young guys
Not trading Afflalo
Running their best players out there BIG minutes every night

What would you have rather they do? What's the better alternative?

SeoulBeatz
03-09-2014, 08:06 PM

Thanks for being rational.

Our choices after getting screwed by the Bynum trade were to either build around Jrue and Evan Turner (HA!) or rebuilding from the ground up, especially considering we wouldn't be able to lure any big names with the roster we had. Philly isn't L.A or NYC, they don't have the benefit of being able to lure big-time free agents unless the team is already competitive, which it hasn't been for a decade.

They did the only and logical thing to do. Make as young of a roster as possible (they are the youngest team in the NBA), get as many picks as possible (they have the most picks in the draft), and create as much cap space as possible (they will have the most cap space in the league by next season).

If anyone bashing the Sixers can serve up a better and more logical plan to rebuild, I'm all ears........

I personally think our new GM Sam Hinkie did a fantastic job wiping the slate clean after years of failed trades (Bynum, Webber, Glenn Robinson, Van Horn) and signings (Overpaid Brand, Dalembert and Kenny Thomas) that have kept us in mediocrity for a decade.

SeoulBeatz
03-09-2014, 08:18 PM
I'd like you to elaborate why Orlando's "tanking" is reprehensible. Since trading Dwight (not a tank move...rather, the RIGHT move), what moves have been so sabotaging?

Trading JJ for a nice long-term piece?
Cutting Baby because he 1) was sucking and 2) was blocking the vets
Not trading Afflalo
Running their best players out there BIG minutes every night

What would you have rather they do? What's the better alternative?

Exactly. What's the alternative?

Hold on to Evan Turner and Spence and get nothing for them when they walk in the offseason?
Carelessly use our cap space to overpay some middling free-agents so the Sixers might get 30 wins instead of 18? The Sixers have been polishing a turd for years with quick fix trades and signings that have blown up in our faces.

Finally we have a GM who knows how to manage a team and draft very well (Look what he did in Houston).

Tanking was the only thing the Sixers could do. Would they be any better off as the 9th seed than the 15th in the East? What difference would that make? I mean seriously, we still wouldn't be a winning team (so that whole "building a winning attitude" argument is moot), we would get a worse pick in one of the strongest drafts in recent memory, and we would have wasted cap space and roster spots on older players who would get in the way of our young rosters development.

NBA_Starter
03-09-2014, 10:44 PM
Bucks

SugeKnight
03-10-2014, 01:23 AM
Any team not on the west

Deception
03-10-2014, 01:30 AM
LOL at this thread, charlote had no chance at the #1, detroit pick is protected and their pick is liklely playoff bound

that said, i would love to see Embid on the Magic, or Wiggins for that mater,

Lol wut? We have the same wins as the Knicks and Cavs, if they each win one game, we move into picking 8th.

Gnac76
03-10-2014, 01:43 AM
To the philly haters.. please have mercy!

Less than two years ago we traded 2 lottery protected firsts, Andre Igoudala (borderline all star now, all star at the time), Mo harkless (looking like a solid NBA player now) and nik vucevic (14 ppg, 11rbg young center) For Andrew Bynum (never played a single game) and Jason Richardson (played half a season last year and will not play this year and still have his contract on the books for next year).

So before you hate on the sixers for trading away hawes and turner for second round picks (unlike the magic who just flat out bought out glen davis), PLEASE have mercy we have been on the wrong end in what may be the worst trade in NBA history.

Tony_Starks
03-10-2014, 11:53 AM
Pistons or Cleveland.

mightybosstone
03-10-2014, 12:16 PM
I voted for the Bucks if only because they're the team that is most devoid of talent and I question that they have a single legitimate building block on their roster to one day become a legit contender. They've also suffered as a franchise a lot more than these other teams. That being said, it would be fun to see a No. 1 caliber player added to teams like Orlando, Boston and Philly, who already have some talent. But given how talented this draft class appears to be, it's possible that multiple teams will add superstars in this draft. That would be awesome for the league and for fans.

PhillyFaninLA
03-10-2014, 12:17 PM
Anyone except Philly and celtics. Celtics just because am a laker fan and philly because they basically traded away all their talent for peanuts for the sake of tanking which is frustrating to say the least.

I find this funny because I was going to say anyone but the Lakers and Celtics.

To be fair the Sixers are doing the only thing you can to get good in this league. They have just been epically better at getting almost zero talent on there roster and getting rid of salary.

Until they change the system this is the model for bad teams to follow.

mdm692
03-10-2014, 01:40 PM
Celtics or Magic.

PurpleLynch
03-10-2014, 01:47 PM
Bucks,they deserve it.

John Walls Era
03-10-2014, 02:45 PM
Anyone but the 76ers. I actually think its smart they're doing this, but this is shameful. I get that losing 1-2 years could make them into a very good team, but the way they're doing it is embarrassing. Last team I remember doing this was the Celtics in 07, they shut down Pierce but only got the 5th pick. The way they're tanking might affect MWC overall career (see Tyreke with Kings).

sunsfan88
03-10-2014, 04:22 PM
Anyone but the 76ers. I actually think its smart they're doing this, but this is shameful. I get that losing 1-2 years could make them into a very good team, but the way they're doing it is embarrassing. Last team I remember doing this was the Celtics in 07, they shut down Pierce but only got the 5th pick. The way they're tanking might affect MWC overall career (see Tyreke with Kings).
Losing cultures are hard to get rid of.

JPS
03-10-2014, 05:01 PM
I hope the Suns get it

Trwood12
03-10-2014, 05:08 PM
Bucks. It takes the fun out of watching a game when the team is that bad...

PhillyFaninLA
03-10-2014, 06:16 PM

The problem isn't the Sixers....its the NBA system....as you said this is smart. Many teams have tried to do this but never this successfully....keep in mind 2 things, the Sixers don't have the worst record in the NBA and its only a 25% of winning the lottery if they do. If the Sixers end up with the worst record in the NBA they are only guaranteed the 4th overall pick or better so they could end up with 4 and hopefully the Pelicans don't end up top 5 so the Sixers get that pick and then a ton of cap space.

torocan
03-10-2014, 06:41 PM
In the East I'd want it to go to the Bucks. That franchise has really taken a beating for a LONG time. Philly would be the 2nd choice. I think Hinkie is smart. I don't like tanking but the system is what it is and at least he's making smart moves.

In the West I'd want to see the Kings get it. After years of the Maloofs and years of threats that they would move the team, they really deserve a break. Minnesota would be 2nd choice since they've had SO much bad luck with injuries.

mightybosstone
03-10-2014, 07:28 PM
Any team not on the west

In hindsight, this is the only correct answer. Hell, if it were up to me, the top 4-5 picks would all be Eastern Conference teams. They seriously need the talent a hell of lot more than the Western Conference does.

Shammyguy3
03-10-2014, 07:40 PM
Was torn between the Bucks and the Magic, but I feel sorry for Magic fans in that they had to watch multiple guys leave that team through FA directly or indirectly (s&t). Had to go with Orlando