PDA

View Full Version : So we going to talk about how George Hill's defense/offense has sucked this season?

KniCks4LiFe
03-08-2014, 02:07 PM
The fall off on this guy's defensive/offensive ability has been drastic this season.

According to synergy 0.9 PPP allowed. Lets ignore how teams are shooting 40% overall from 3PT range vs Hill.

Lets ignore how last night Jeremy Lin violated him w/ the "moonwalk shake" step back jumper (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=An04F-xFGL4).

But certain things we can't ignore. His isolation D is giving up 0.98 PPP [that's #220 rank] he's getting abused on the offscreen where opp. shoot around 45% against him overall [60% from 3PT], he's surrendering a 43% on the PnR ballhandler, [45% from 3PT range] how is that even possible w/ help D from the likes of Stephenson, George and Hibbert?

People have asked what's going on w/ the Pacers. We said it before the deadline, the Pacers needed a PG, but I doubt many of us knew how bad they needed one. Hill's shooting better this season on paper. But when you close examine it, most of it is in the restricted area, and since his transition shot % is 58% and his PPP on the transition is a whopping 1.22, the majority of his offense is from the fastbreak. His jump shot has a 33% success rate.

So bad D, under the radar bad offense. So the Pacers have been out there w/ basically Lance Stephenson running the point and cleaning up Hill's terrible defense on the PnR.

Thinking about that makes me say there is no chance they go to the Eastern Conference Finals. Everything is screaming upset.

Romo2Bryant
03-08-2014, 02:25 PM
I remember I made a thread about a month ago "Toronto Raptors" and said the Washington Wizards was also another interesting team in the playoffs (but that was before Nene got hurt). I still expect the Pacers to reach the ECF but who knows anything can happen.

KniCks4LiFe
03-08-2014, 02:33 PM
I remember I made a thread about a month ago "Toronto Raptors" and said the Washington Wizards was also another interesting team in the playoffs (but that was before Nene got hurt). I still expect the Pacers to reach the ECF but who knows anything can happen.

If I'm the Pacers I'm praying the Knicks make that 8th spot. B/c that match up Detroit, Cleveland [if they are inspired] or Atlanta, that's going to be a problem. And if they fall to that 2 spot, CHA and Indy = 7 gm. series. They do not, not want to play Charlotte. A healthy hungry Charlotte team is no joke.

Cal827
03-08-2014, 02:41 PM
I can tell you from the Raptor forum, that we are hoping that the Pacers end up in the same bracket as us moving on lol whether it's 1/4 or 2/3.

But I think they would really have to look out for Washington. The Wizards have John Wall, who's probably the best PG in the Eastern conference, and they have an interior presence with Gortat and should have Nene back come playoff time. That team seems in sync now after the ups and downs and I think any of the higher seeds would be worried to face off against them.

Romo2Bryant
03-08-2014, 02:48 PM
All of sudden the eastern conference is getting kind of interesting... who figured.

KniCks4LiFe
03-08-2014, 02:49 PM
I can tell you from the Raptor forum, that we are hoping that the Pacers end up in the same bracket as us moving on lol whether it's 1/4 or 2/3.

But I think they would really have to look out for Washington. The Wizards have John Wall, who's probably the best PG in the Eastern conference, and they have an interior presence with Gortat and should have Nene back come playoff time. That team seems in sync now after the ups and downs and I think any of the higher seeds would be worried to face off against them.

See I have the same thought. I'm thinking CHA can upset them, WAS can definitely go 7 game series against them, TOR is another one. I see Indy getting upset in this. Unless Paul George turns into T-Mac.

Romo2Bryant
03-08-2014, 02:50 PM
If I'm the Pacers I'm praying the Knicks make that 8th spot. B/c that match up Detroit, Cleveland [if they are inspired] or Atlanta, that's going to be a problem. And if they fall to that 2 spot, CHA and Indy = 7 gm. series. They do not, not want to play Charlotte. A healthy hungry Charlotte team is no joke.

Al Jefferson been playing great but he's going to need more help.

KniCks4LiFe
03-08-2014, 02:53 PM
Al Jefferson been playing great but he's going to need more help.

Kemba, Gary Neal on the PnR. It's not like Hill can defend it and if you help D his man, someone's got a better % shot.

Romo2Bryant
03-08-2014, 03:04 PM
Kemba, Gary Neal on the PnR. It's not like Hill can defend it and if you help D his man, someone's got a better % shot.

Well see, all I know is a lot of these teams will play inspiring basketball in the playoffs, because only thing they heard this season was the Pacers vs. Heat in the ECF.

KniCks4LiFe
03-08-2014, 03:07 PM
Well see, all I know is a lot of these teams will play inspiring basketball in the playoffs, because only thing they heard this season was the Pacers vs. Heat in the ECF.

exactly and now they know the Pacers have 3 weaknesses

- the PG
- the bench
- lack of production from the SG and C

Romo2Bryant
03-08-2014, 03:09 PM
exactly and now they know the Pacers have 3 weaknesses

- the PG
- the bench
- lack of production from the SG and C

You forgot one thing: too many careless turnovers

Blitzace137
03-08-2014, 03:12 PM
I've been saying for a while they needed a PG, I thought Dragic was obtainable before the season started but I was probably wrong, I don't think he was, Jose Calderon on that team wouldn't be bad either. Lin crossover was sick!

PacersForLife
03-08-2014, 03:16 PM
George Hill is a solid defender and probably the last option on offense with the starting five.

KniCks4LiFe
03-08-2014, 03:18 PM
You forgot one thing: too many careless turnovers

how does this not scream upset.

I've been saying for a while they needed a PG, I thought Dragic was obtainable before the season started but I was probably wrong, I don't think he was, Jose Calderon on that team wouldn't be bad either. Lin crossover was sick!

I think Dragic was obtainable by anyone under the apron. They prolly didn't want to break up the core 5 who they are pushing as their Fab 5 is my guess. I saw the Lin crossover and immediately thought he created 12 ft of space w/ that move. He needs to isolate more often if it creates that space.

George Hill is a solid defender and probably the last option on offense with the starting five.

not this season he's ain't.

Romo2Bryant
03-08-2014, 03:23 PM

You can answer this question better than me. Was the Pacers considering starting Stephenson at PG and Turner at SG?

PacersForLife
03-08-2014, 03:27 PM
You can answer this question better than me. Was the Pacers considering starting Stephenson at PG and Turner at SG?
Nope. Vogel has said that will not happen. I mean he could always change his mind, but I really doubt it happens anytime soon. He doesn't believe Lance is a PG.

tredigs
03-08-2014, 03:29 PM
Lol, I like how you passively write this thread title like anybody spends time thinking about George Hill as if he's Lebron or Kobe.

It shows a massive disconnect, but I appreciate your hoops dedication.

PacersForLife
03-08-2014, 03:30 PM
not this season he's ain't.

Not gonna lie, I'm not a big stats guy. However, I have watched just about every Pacers game since George Hill has been here and he is a pretty solid defender. He hasn't looked different this year than any other year.

Romo2Bryant
03-08-2014, 03:33 PM
Nope. Vogel has said that will not happen. I mean he could always change his mind, but I really doubt it happens anytime soon. He doesn't believe Lance is a PG.

True. I don't see Vogel changing the lineup this season, but I wanted to hear what a Pacers fan thought about that cause I heard that rumor several times.

KniCks4LiFe
03-08-2014, 03:34 PM
Lol, I like how you passively write this thread title like anybody spends time thinking about George Hill as if he's Lebron or Kobe.

It shows a massive disconnect, but I appreciate your hoops dedication.

Well Paul is shooting like a superstar, Lance isn't shooting like a superstar, Lance has to run the offense most times for it to be efficient. George Hill effects this team a lot, especially if teams are burning the PnR plays like the stats show. Thanks about the appreciation tho. I just think the PG is a very important part of a team and especially a team struggling to score.

KniCks4LiFe
03-08-2014, 03:36 PM
Not gonna lie, I'm not a big stats guy. However, I have watched just about every Pacers game since George Hill has been here and he is a pretty solid defender. He hasn't looked different this year than any other year.

I think that's b/c his help D is that much better right now. I'm just saying, this guy is being exposed defensively this year.

5ass
03-08-2014, 03:43 PM
All of sudden the eastern conference is getting kind of interesting... who figured.

Anyone who doesnt live in the moment and overreact wen indy was winning a lot of games

AddiX
03-08-2014, 03:44 PM
Pacers just look tired and uninterested at times.

Its hard to play that kind of style from beginning to end of a season, and than carry it into the playoffs.

It's really the main reason I've been a big proponent of cutting the season down, it's to many games, we have teams giving up on there season months before the all star break even starts, it's ridiculous. Long NBA season mixed with ridiculously long playoff race, is a big waste of time.

PacersForLife
03-08-2014, 05:00 PM
Anyone who doesnt live in the moment and overreact wen indy was winning a lot of games

It's also overreacting if you think this recent stretch means we're not good anymore or something.

chipper10
03-08-2014, 05:31 PM
Pacers arent worried bout anything. Theyre in first place and in the dog days of the season. I think once they get to the playoffs they will lock in and george hill will be less impactful cuz the game will slow down. That will help the pacers bigs a ton and take some pressure off of the defense as a whole.

KniCks4LiFe
03-08-2014, 05:48 PM
Pacers arent worried bout anything. Theyre in first place and in the dog days of the season. I think once they get to the playoffs they will lock in and george hill will be less impactful cuz the game will slow down. That will help the pacers bigs a ton and take some pressure off of the defense as a whole.

we're talking about the lack of an actual PG presence on the floor for them possibly becoming their ultimate demise in the playoffs.