PDA

View Full Version : How do you define someone as a Chucker?

Jeffy25
03-08-2014, 12:03 AM
How many shots per game?
What field goal percentage?

Is it based on number of shots via team?

NoahH
03-08-2014, 12:05 AM
Efficient shots

Guppyfighter
03-08-2014, 12:18 AM
A usage above 23 with a with a true shooting below 530.

However, this doesn't apply to all, sometimes the usage can be caused by turnovers, which is horrible for other reasons. Not chucker reasons.

jerellh528
03-08-2014, 12:18 AM
Many ill advised shots out of the flow of the offense. If they are a player who plays within the offense then sometimes shots won't fall. But mostly my criteria is many inefficient shots that kill the flow of a team. It's definitely context based because some teams need or are built around a high volume shooter such as iverson's teams.

TheMightyHumph
03-08-2014, 01:41 AM
Growing up, a chucker was a player that took a lot of shots and didn't make a lot of them.

I was a chucker for a good number of years.

sunsfan88
03-08-2014, 03:55 AM
Inefficient.

mikekhelxD
03-08-2014, 04:05 AM
I dont give a damn if a player takes plenty of shots as long as he makes them, not forcing shots, not just shoot out of nowhere like a dumbass, and not disrupting the flow of the offense. If he takes wide open shots under his range given that that the players inside doesn't have easy shots, I wont consider that player as a chucker. This is from me as a player. I was shooter, primarily mid and 3 pointer. I dont take too many as long as I have teammates under the basket for easy ones or wing who have open shots. However, when im hot, i take a lot.

abe_froman
How many shots per game?

about 10 or more
in fg%? i'd say sub 43

basically ,yes.if you are trigger happy,taking many ill advised shots and not making them,killing the flow of a team/shooting your team out of games,ect. and if you dont bring it in other areas(passing,defense),all you care about/bring to the table is shooting, than you're a chucker(someone like metta world peace would escape the tag because he could still contribute on defense,while jr smith or ben gordon got labeled because thats all there was to them)

slashsnake
If you watch him and his game brings up memories of JR Smith, John Starks, or Montae Ellis, he might be a Chucker.

I remember watching a game and someone said that JR Smith runs the no-pass offense better than anyone in the NBA. If that is brought up about you, and you like the occasional fadaway three vs. the double team... You are a chucker.

-Kobe24-TJ19-
03-08-2014, 04:20 AM
JR Smith

jaydubb
03-08-2014, 05:25 AM
The way I personally define a chucker is someone that throws up shots whenever he gets the ball whether its a good shot (wide open) or a bad shot (more then one defender on him, off balance etc.) Just because your defined as a chucker, doesn't mean your a bad player IMO..

Sadds The Gr8
03-08-2014, 05:29 AM
inefficient%/bad shots. some people here don't even know what a chucker is and misuse the word like crazy.

JasonJohnHorn
03-08-2014, 05:35 AM
A chucker is a guy who forces shots (often times with plenty of seconds left of the clock), doesn't bother to run a play, or thinks that if the ball gets passed to him, he's supposed to shoot.

Because of the fact they force shots, they usually have a awful FG%, but an awful FG% doesn't = chucker.

Guys that come to mind: Barbosa, J-Smooove, Jennings.

Kushed
03-08-2014, 05:42 AM
Inefficient isn't a means to all ends...

A chucker is someone who continues to take shots out of the flow of the offense and is more worried about scoring themselves then they are helping the team.

Someone like that guy on Ole Miss is the perfect definition of a chucker. I think his name is Henderson??

Dude is a cocky **** who will jack 20 shots a game cause he wants to "get his".

KnicksorBust
03-08-2014, 08:22 AM

However, this doesn't apply to all, sometimes the usage can be caused by turnovers, which is horrible for other reasons. Not chucker reasons.

Love to know how you came up with those precise amounts. How many players fit your criteria?

3RDASYSTEM
03-08-2014, 10:48 AM
Many ill advised shots out of the flow of the offense. If they are a player who plays within the offense then sometimes shots won't fall. But mostly my criteria is many inefficient shots that kill the flow of a team. It's definitely context based because some teams need or are built around a high volume shooter such as iverson's teams.

this is the funny thing about a team being built around a 5'10'' guy

nobody builds around guy NATE rob height, that's plain just stupid

unless you are saying IVERSON was that good individually,like a BRON/SHAQ, BRON was the offense in CLE and it was built around him handling the ball exclusively and creating at will, but BRON Is that good too also right?

it was based on his team needs he shot so much, or do you feel running the offense thru 3ppg scorers in mckie/snow?

I kno for a fact had they been 20ppg scorers each IVERSON would have a drove full of dick sucking PER/WS lovers, fact

Goose17
03-08-2014, 11:35 AM
I don't have set numbers. If they consistently take a lot of shots and are inefficient, they are a chucker.

There just seems to be a point when you throw up so many shots (and brick them), your existence on the court is counter productive to your team.

Inefficient ball hogs. That's the easiest way to sum them up.

I would also take into account guys who's majority of shot attempts are jump shots, despite being incapable of making them consistently enough. Technically, if they're not taking a lot of shots you could just write them off as inefficient as opposed to a "chucker" but in my mind, if you're incapable of making a shot with any sort of consistency, you shouldn't be taking that shot repeatedly on a nightly basis.

Examples from this season;

Tayshaun Prince, 80% of his attempted shots are jump shots, of which, he has an eFG% of 33%
Josh Smith, 61% of his attempted shots are jump shots, of which, he has an eFG% of 33%
Ben Gordon, 82%% of his attempted shots are jump shots, of which, he has an eFG% of 33%
Alexey Shved, 71% of his attempted shots are jump shots, of which, he has an eFG% of 31%
Jarret Jack, 93% of his attempted shots are jump shots, of which, he has an eFG% of 44%

RipCity32
03-08-2014, 11:59 AM
Pistons have the two biggest chuckers on the same team, **** my life!!

mightybosstone
03-08-2014, 12:25 PM
I don't have set numbers for anything, and I don't think there's a single barometer you can use to judge a player as a "chucker" or not. Just because a player takes most of his FGA from the perimeter and doesn't hit a high percentage doesn't mean that guy is necessarily a "chucker." Some guys are just limited offensively and are most effective as spot shooters, but everyone goes through a slump from time to time.

I look at how skilled a player is offensively and whether he's settling for long jumpers. Also, if he's settling for long jumpers and missing them, if he's taking too many contested jumpers or if he's taking those jumpers early in the shot clock.

The guy I think everyone can agree is an ideal example is Josh Smith. He's ridiculously athletic and talented, and could get to the rim a lot more if he tried, yet he settles for jumpers that he has no business taking. Just look at the man's horrific shot charts: http://stats.nba.com/playerShotchart.html?PlayerID=2746&display-mode=performance. Despite shooting 55% in the paint and around the basket and shooting poorer than 40% on everywhere on the floor except that right baseline jumper, he takes 50% of his shots outside of those three zones. So, essentially, he's taking 50% of his shots from places he's shooting less than 40% from, which just does not make any sense. The fact that he shoots poorer than 30% in every single 3-point zone, yet those shots account for 1/5 of his attempts completely blows my mind.

He's a textbook example of a chucker. Other guys come to mind, though, like JR Smith and Rudy Gay over the years. Those guys are both obviously better perimeter shooters than Smoove, but they still settler for the perimeter jumper far too often despite athleticism which allows them to get in the paint or draw contact if they tried harder. That's just poor shot selection.

tredigs
03-08-2014, 12:33 PM
How many shots per game?

Do they look to shoot immediately when getting the ball without checking teammates? That's criteria number 1.

But, Kyle Korver falls into that category. As he should.

Do they also shoot a low eFG% and could care less?

Now I see you, Nick Young.

jerellh528
03-08-2014, 01:26 PM

unless you are saying IVERSON was that good individually,like a BRON/SHAQ, BRON was the offense in CLE and it was built around him handling the ball exclusively and creating at will, but BRON Is that good too also right?

it was based on his team needs he shot so much, or do you feel running the offense thru 3ppg scorers in mckie/snow?

I kno for a fact had they been 20ppg scorers each IVERSON would have a drove full of dick sucking PER/WS lovers, fact

Lol sorry guy, but I don't know what you're trying to say. I'm going to need you to organize and present your thoughts better if you want a reply.

tredigs
03-08-2014, 01:41 PM

Well, why did AI's "PER/WS" suck a metaphorical dick (per historical standards) while with Melo in Denver?

MetroMan
03-08-2014, 01:43 PM
shoots a lot with a bad percentage.

DreamShaker
03-08-2014, 01:55 PM

Sounds good. I think of one of those guys who you say "No, No, please don't take that shot!!!", yet they shamelessly keep doing it. Wayyyy too much.

Jamiecballer
03-08-2014, 04:15 PM

I was going to go a little higher on the TS but it still sounds about right to me.

Do they look to shoot immediately when getting the ball without checking teammates? That's criteria number 1.

But, Kyle Korver falls into that category. As he should.

Do they also shoot a low eFG% and could care less?

Now I see you, Nick Young.

And this.