PDA

View Full Version : D'Antoni's Replacement?

DudeItsZoltan
03-07-2014, 09:17 PM
I'm reading about how the Lakers are "assessing" the coaching situation after last night's historic loss, although it seems Mike D'Antoni is safe through the season. But as I thought about it, something clicked for me. I remember the buzz that was created when Mike Woodson was hired as an assistant in New York, with all the rumblings that he would eventually replace D'Antoni, which he did and immediately turned that team around (until this year, which I blame guys like Felton and Smith for.) My point being I think D'Antoni is in for some deja vu. We hired an assistant last summer who I thought was an odd choice at the time, although Lakers blood does run through his veins: KURT RAMBIS! Now I'm sure the first reaction most will have is laughter because of Rambis' dismal Minnesota tenure. But he is a Phil Jackson guy, and he did try to implement the triangle in Minnesota. It's obviously hard to tell what the Lakers future roster will look like, but I have a gut feeling we'll give the job to Rambis next year. It might be what it takes to keep Gasol, as Rambis obviously knows how to focus on his big men, and maybe we can convince guys like Kaman and Hill to stay. I'm not sure how Rambis and Kevin Love get along these days, but he might be enough to help lure him to LA. Some coaches just need a second chance sometimes, and I really think Rambis could do some good work with this team. Maybe pull Byron Scott out of the TWC studio as an assistant? Either way, somethings gotta change. I am completely sick and tired of Mike D'Antoni, his overrated offense, and his clueless demeanor on the bench. He's not a large market guy, send him to Denver or something...

ManRam
03-07-2014, 10:44 PM
You guys think LAL could get Red Auerbach?

Imagine Red coaching...

Rondo
Kobe
LeBron (or Melo if LeBron ditches us)
Love
Gasol (Marc...duh)

...next year!!! WOW!

Hawkeye15
03-07-2014, 10:46 PM
hopefully Randy Whittman

DudeItsZoltan
03-07-2014, 11:00 PM
I don't get the sarcasm? Auerbach? Lakers aren't building a dream team anytime soon again...and isn't Hawkeye a Wolves fan? I'm guessing you have a low opinion of Rambis? Huh, so much for making a speculation thread...

Hawkeye15
03-07-2014, 11:05 PM
I don't get the sarcasm? Auerbach? Lakers aren't building a dream team anytime soon again...and isn't Hawkeye a Wolves fan? I'm guessing you have a low opinion of Rambis? Huh, so much for making a speculation thread...

well yeah, he sucks as a coach

DudeItsZoltan
03-07-2014, 11:13 PM
Any specific reason why? he was decent as an interim in '99 with Kobe and Shaq before Phil took over, and he didn't really have any good Wolves teams (Jefferson and a young Love, then Love and Beasley.) I can't help but feel if he had decent talent, he could still win. Who's worse, him or D'Antoni? I truly am curious

Hawkeye15
03-07-2014, 11:15 PM
Any specific reason why? he was decent as an interim in '99 with Kobe and Shaq before Phil took over, and he didn't really have any good Wolves teams (Jefferson and a young Love, then Love and Beasley.) I can't help but feel if he had decent talent, he could still win. Who's worse, him or D'Antoni? I truly am curious

Rambis was atrocious as the Wolves coach is why. I mean absolutely horrible. He had no idea how to deal with matchups, and tried to force his system down our throats without having the proper personal.

At least Mike D has a history of success. Rambis should not coach as a HC.

DudeItsZoltan
03-07-2014, 11:19 PM
wow, sounds like you're describing D'Antoni. Ah well, thanks for your input. Damn, I wonder what we'll end up doing?

Hawkeye15
03-07-2014, 11:24 PM
wow, sounds like you're describing D'Antoni. Ah well, thanks for your input. Damn, I wonder what we'll end up doing?

are you a Lakers fan?

I have to give you a disclaimer, I hate the Lakers, and wish nothing but failure on them. BUT, if I am the Lakers, my plan is:

Draft Embiid this season.
Hire George Karl
Kobe comes back next season, so you have to figure they at least get well out of the top 5-7 picks.
Draft a PG next season, highest available.
Sign Kevin Love in 2015 (this makes me cringe, but its a reality).
Sign Kevin Durant in 2016.

Obviously borderline pipe dream, but possible. You need financial discipline after signing Love, to keep open a max deal in that scenario.

DudeItsZoltan
03-07-2014, 11:33 PM
yes, I'm a Lakers fan, and not one of the loud, delusional ones. I understand the state of my team, and understand its not getting fixed overnight. I can certainly understand the hate, I get that a lot. I'm aware the Wolves haven't made the playoffs since that 2004 Western Conference Final. If it makes any difference, I've been rooting for your team to get back in it, I haven't forgotten how passionate your fan base was. I think your plan sounds pretty good, I had forgotten about Karl. Assuming Embiid goes #1, unless we win the lottery, I think its more likely we end up with Exum. And they've done a great job with financial discipline (minus Kobe's deal), since we already made it clear we're not throwing max dollars at Melo. It seems we'll have another lottery year next year. Just curious, why do you hate the Lakers so much?

Spacolie716
03-08-2014, 12:00 AM
Nothing can be worse than D'Antoni right now. As much as I hate the Lakers and would love them to continue to be basement dwellers, I like the George Karl idea by Hawkeye. I'm sure the Lakers will sign a coach that just gets fired in the offseason, such as a Mike Woodson lol.

-Kobe24-TJ19-
03-08-2014, 04:21 AM
Mike Dunleavy

sunsfan88
03-08-2014, 04:35 AM
I hope its Ty Corbin after Utah lets him go after this season.

Hawkeye15
03-08-2014, 04:43 AM
yes, I'm a Lakers fan, and not one of the loud, delusional ones. I understand the state of my team, and understand its not getting fixed overnight. I can certainly understand the hate, I get that a lot. I'm aware the Wolves haven't made the playoffs since that 2004 Western Conference Final. If it makes any difference, I've been rooting for your team to get back in it, I haven't forgotten how passionate your fan base was. I think your plan sounds pretty good, I had forgotten about Karl. Assuming Embiid goes #1, unless we win the lottery, I think its more likely we end up with Exum. And they've done a great job with financial discipline (minus Kobe's deal), since we already made it clear we're not throwing max dollars at Melo. It seems we'll have another lottery year next year. Just curious, why do you hate the Lakers so much?

not sure man. My first memory of the NBA was the 84' finals. My dad was a Celtics fan, it most likely started from there.

DillyDill
03-08-2014, 09:34 AM
not sure man. My first memory of the NBA was the 84' finals. My dad was a Celtics fan, it most likely started from there.

If u were born into Celtic green why are you a Wolves fan?