PDA

View Full Version : Old School Game Idea

Ebbs
03-06-2014, 08:59 PM
So amongst other things all the old school whatever questions gave me an idea for a game. I'm not sure how many people have played in a NBA All Time Redraft or NBA mock off-season but I'm proposing sort of a mix.

All players would take a team; whatever team you got you owned the rights to every player who started his his career for that team. So Kobe would still be a Laker, Dirk a maverick etc. . . Because their first career games are with their current clubs. Kareem would be a Buck not a Laker. . . Shaq a member of the Magic. . . So on, so on.

There would be like a two or three day period, everyone could pick and sign 12 players from their franchises history. After they had picked their 12 any remaining players would be added to a free agency pool. Other teams could add player in a 1 for 1 style on a waiver pick up. So let's say the Lakers GM didn't make a spot for Michael Cooper but the Hornets wanted a defender, they could drop one of their 12 and add Cooper. Once you added a guy you would go to the back of the waiver list. (Waiver list would start with the shittiest teams. So a team like Boston would probably be thirtieth in line.)

I'm making this up as I go, just gauging interest.

Once teams were established we'd allow a couple weeks of trading and then go right to the playoffs. Should keep activity high and keep this in a tight window for a test run.

Yea so thoughts. . .

abe_froman
03-06-2014, 09:06 PM
i'd play it

Shammyguy3
03-06-2014, 09:21 PM
Great idea. Immediate questions I'd have would be what to do with teams like the Sonics/Thunder, Bullets/Wizards, etc. Also wonder what would happen for players that played in the ABA and the NBA, i'm guessing we're strictly talking about first NBA team that each player played for, correct?

I'd def play though

Ebbs
03-06-2014, 09:23 PM
Great idea. Immediate questions I'd have would be what to do with teams like the Sonics/Thunder, Bullets/Wizards, etc. Also wonder what would happen for players that played in the ABA and the NBA, i'm guessing we're strictly talking about first NBA team that each player played for, correct?

I'd def play though

bullets/Wizards would be merged. Royals-Kings, Thunder-Supersonics etc. . .

Yea we'd say if they were an ABA player first NBA team they played for.

PocketKings
03-06-2014, 09:28 PM
Just my thoughts...

Instead of picking 10 or even 12 players per franchise/city.
Just pick 5 players that were originally DRAFTED by that franchise.
So as crazy as it may be, Kobe Bryant would belong to Charlotte and NOT Los Angeles.

And then you have that snake-style draft for the remaining 7 roster spots. This snake-style draft will be in the reverse order of the GM-Team selection order.

You'd also be able to trade draft position. Maybe you'd rather have a higher Roster Draft draft position versus having a better Team selection position. You could probably work that out as well.

Just a thought.

Shammyguy3
03-06-2014, 09:29 PM
that's what I thought, i'm assuming there'd be no salary implications at all then right?

Ebbs
03-06-2014, 09:32 PM
No salary.

PK's ideas are interesting.

Chacarron
03-06-2014, 09:37 PM
I'm liking the idea. I'm itching to play an all-time RD but this looks like an interesting alternative.

Shammyguy3
03-06-2014, 10:05 PM
I think i'd rather play a regular all-time RD if possible, but we could potentially do both maybe? :shrug:

Ebbs
03-06-2014, 10:20 PM
I'm ok with an NBA All time as well lol.

The_Jamal
03-06-2014, 10:34 PM
Interesting.

So If I'm the Kings, I get to pick 12 guys from Kings/Royals history? Then that's my team for the trading period?

Dunno how you'd establish waiver wire, but does sound cool

aLau10
03-07-2014, 02:27 AM
I'm in :)

Matter.
03-07-2014, 02:47 AM
I'm in

Raps18-19 Champ
03-07-2014, 01:19 PM
Won't the teams be uneven?

Raptors best player would be McGrady or Grizzlies would be Pau Gasol who would be drafted in the 2nd round in a ATRD while teams with great history like Lakers (Kobe, Magic, etc), Celtics (Bird, Russell, Pierce, McHale, etc) or Spurs (Duncan, Robinson), would have multiple players who would've been drafted in the 1st round of an ATRD.

Sadds The Gr8
03-07-2014, 02:11 PM
Just my thoughts...

Instead of picking 10 or even 12 players per franchise/city.
Just pick 5 players that were originally DRAFTED by that franchise.
So as crazy as it may be, Kobe Bryant would belong to Charlotte and NOT Los Angeles.

And then you have that snake-style draft for the remaining 7 roster spots. This snake-style draft will be in the reverse order of the GM-Team selection order.

You'd also be able to trade draft position. Maybe you'd rather have a higher Roster Draft draft position versus having a better Team selection position. You could probably work that out as well.

Just a thought.
u still exist?

Won't the teams be uneven?

Raptors best player would be McGrady or Grizzlies would be Pau Gasol who would be drafted in the 2nd round in a ATRD while teams with great history like Lakers (Kobe, Magic, etc), Celtics (Bird, Russell, Pierce, McHale, etc) or Spurs (Duncan, Robinson), would have multiple players who would've been drafted in the 1st round of an ATRD.

yea I like PKings' idea more but this is what my problem with the game would be too. A team like the Clips or Heat (Since Zo and CP3 would belong to Charlotte) would be pretty horrible also.

-what would happen with the Bobcats/NWO Hornets-Pelicans/Charlotte Hornets history? do they all merge?

-maybe we can extract/merge some of the crap franchises like we did in the mock?

PocketKings
03-07-2014, 02:14 PM
We would probably have to combine some franchises/teams to make it more even.

I also think that for a trial run of the game you condense it down to 20 teams, so whoever are the questionable franchises/teams will be discussed at large by the commissioner of the game.

KnicksorBust
03-07-2014, 03:33 PM
I like Ebb's general idea but I think a mock/redraft hybrid is the way to go.

My only disagreement with PK is that I think teams should be limited to keeping 2-3 players. If you keep 5 you already have your starters and if you are lucky enough to draw a great team, the game is on auto-pilot. You need a way to balance the scales. FA does that for regular mocks, the redraft needs to accomplish that here. By only allowing 2-3 players to be kept, you would get a lot of fascinating cuts that would still make the draft itself incredibly important.

Raps18-19 Champ
03-07-2014, 06:38 PM
Do it so for the first 3 rounds or something, you can draft anyone as long as they played at least 2 game for that franchise. So Celtics can draft Shaq, Raptors can draft Hakeem, etc. Then have the rest as a redraft format. I think more player selection for specific teams would be more attractive.

KnicksorBust
03-07-2014, 07:55 PM
Do it so for the first 3 rounds or something, you can draft anyone as long as they played at least 2 game for that franchise. So Celtics can draft Shaq, Raptors can draft Hakeem, etc. Then have the rest as a redraft format. I think more player selection for specific teams would be more attractive.

Very interesting twist. It's gotta be a mock/redraft hybrid and that may have just been the idea that does it. Really depends how much people want to run with the Mock aspect. I like the idea of using it as a twist to the draft because personally the worst part of a mock is the dead teams and merging teams is always such a cop out.

Baller1
03-07-2014, 08:40 PM
I'd play.

Raps18-19 Champ
03-08-2014, 12:45 AM
1st player= 1st set of randomized order to draft any player who played for your franchise (at least 1 game played)
2nd player = 2nd set of randomized order (meaning order is different from round 1 just to mix it up. Team who drafted 1st in round 1 can get to pick like 15th this round) to draft any player who played for your franchise (at least 1 game played)
3rd player = 1st set of pitches to sign any player regardless of franchise
4th player = 2nd set of pitches to sign any player regardless of franchise
5th player = 3rd set of randomized order to draft a player regardless if they played for your franchise
6th player = Reverse order of round 5 to draft player regardless if they played for your franchise (so player 5 and 6 are snake order)
7th player = 3rd set of pitches to sign any player regardless of franchise
8th player = 4th set of pitches to sign any player regardless of franchise
9th player = 5th set of randomized order to draft a player regardless if they played for your franchise
10th player = Reverse order of round 9 to draft player regardless if they played for your franchise (so player 9 and 10 are snake order)
11th player = 5th set of pitches to sign any player regardless of franchise
12th player = 6th set of pitches to sign any player regardless of franchise

Do the pair of rounds for signing FA's at 1 week each. So player 3 and 4 would be a 1 week window combined where at the end of that 1 week, each team should add their 3rd and 4th player (or divide it so 4 day window for each player). If there is no competition for a FA, that player signs automatically at the end of the 4 week window. Can only show interest in 2 players each 1 week window (or 1 player per 4 day window if we divide it that way). If multiple teams bid on a player and that player signs on the last day, have an extra compensation day/hours where each team who missed out has 1 pitch (so only 1 post with NO EDITING) to another FA. If multiple teams end up bidding on the same FA again, then keep giving extra compensation day/hour until all have the required amount of players before proceeding with the pair of drafts.

Then for player 7th and 8th, another 1 week window where at the end of that 1 week, each team should add their 7th and 8th player. And for the 11th and 12th.

Ebbs
03-08-2014, 01:30 AM
A bidding draft would be fun to.

PocketKings
03-08-2014, 03:08 AM
1st player= 1st set of randomized order to draft any player who played for your franchise (at least 1 game played)
2nd player = 2nd set of randomized order (meaning order is different from round 1 just to mix it up. Team who drafted 1st in round 1 can get to pick like 15th this round) to draft any player who played for your franchise (at least 1 game played)
5th player = 3rd set of randomized order to draft a player regardless if they played for your franchise
6th player = Reverse order of round 5 to draft player regardless if they played for your franchise (so player 5 and 6 are snake order)
9th player = 5th set of randomized order to draft a player regardless if they played for your franchise
10th player = Reverse order of round 9 to draft player regardless if they played for your franchise (so player 9 and 10 are snake order)

Do the pair of rounds for signing FA's at 1 week each. So player 3 and 4 would be a 1 week window combined where at the end of that 1 week, each team should add their 3rd and 4th player (or divide it so 4 day window for each player). If there is no competition for a FA, that player signs automatically at the end of the 4 week window. Can only show interest in 2 players each 1 week window (or 1 player per 4 day window if we divide it that way). If multiple teams bid on a player and that player signs on the last day, have an extra compensation day/hours where each team who missed out has 1 pitch (so only 1 post with NO EDITING) to another FA. If multiple teams end up bidding on the same FA again, then keep giving extra compensation day/hour until all have the required amount of players before proceeding with the pair of drafts.

Then for player 7th and 8th, another 1 week window where at the end of that 1 week, each team should add their 7th and 8th player. And for the 11th and 12th.

Only problem I have with this route... is the pitches...
The volume of players available to be picked + the amount of stress/time that commissioners of the game would commit for this route would be almost insane... I know I wouldn't even want my name discussed amongst potential commissioners if this was the case...

I kind of like KoB's adjustment of only picking 3 players, but combining it with Raps's idea some and say...

Have the GM-Team Draft aspect and then the actual draft a snake draft in reverse of the GM-Team Draft and say we just pick players for the first 3 rounds. Then after that whoever is left from the franchises, the GM's pick and lock onto 3 players from that franchises' history, and then do another 3 round draft, and then another choice of 3 players.

IDK just another thought.

KnicksorBust
03-08-2014, 08:32 AM

Only problem I have with this route... is the pitches...
The volume of players available to be picked + the amount of stress/time that commissioners of the game would commit for this route would be almost insane... I know I wouldn't even want my name discussed amongst potential commissioners if this was the case...

I kind of like KoB's adjustment of only picking 3 players, but combining it with Raps's idea some and say...

Have the GM-Team Draft aspect and then the actual draft a snake draft in reverse of the GM-Team Draft and say we just pick players for the first 3 rounds. Then after that whoever is left from the franchises, the GM's pick and lock onto 3 players from that franchises' history, and then do another 3 round draft, and then another choice of 3 players.

IDK just another thought.

This constantly switching idea is creative but I think it would be a pain in the *** to actually pull off. I also think it would be very difficult to find quality players in the mock aspect once you reach round 6. Again you would have a huge edge for certain franchises. I love your idea that we reverse the team selection order for the draft order. So if you get the first team pick and get the Lakers then you would get the last pick in the draft.

Raps18-19 Champ
03-08-2014, 10:54 PM
You can replace the mock part with pitches with silent auctions instead to speed up the process and avoid commissioners having to make decisions. Give cap room they have to bid. Maybe you can even trade cap room around (so say I want to trade a player I drafted for a player who was signed, you can trade cash along with them).

For drafting players who only played for that franchise, it would only work for like 2 rounds. Some franchises are so much deeper in ATG talent that if we do more, it would be really bad for teams with less history.

Ebbs
03-19-2014, 11:59 AM
SI said signups could go up on the last day of the regular season

http://forums.prosportsdaily.com/showthread.php?821465-Lounge-2-%93I-believe-in-higher-education-You-know-6-8-quot-6-9-quot-6-10-quot&p=28178723#post28178723

The forum discussion thread. Also anyone interested in running this with Matter and possibly myself?