PDA

View Full Version : Who is the third best player in the NBA right now?

Walt
03-06-2014, 12:39 PM
LeBron and Durant are clearly 1 and 2, in either order. But the #3 spot is wide open, and there are quite a few players that are up for nomination.

In my opnion, Chris Paul is the 3rd best, but he's been hurt this year and other players have made huge jumps.

These are the players that have any case at all IMO:

Chris Paul
Blake Griffin
Paul George
Kevin Love
Stephen Curry
Dwight Howard (whiffed on him originally, not in poll)

The rest, James Harden, Anthony Davis, LaMarcus Aldridge, Russell Westbrook, etc.. are in the 5-10 range, with Davis being around 15 or so.

I'm gonna go with Chris Paul, what about you?

And I apologize if there has been a recent thread on this.

JordansBulls
03-06-2014, 12:51 PM
Bad list. Where is Dwight Howard??? and James Harden??? and Dwyane Wade???

Walt
03-06-2014, 12:59 PM

I completely whiffed on Dwight, slipped my mind.

But James Harden isn't as good as the 5 I put up there. I don't consider him at all the 3rd best player in the NBA like I think these guys have an argument.

And Dwyane Wade is long gone from being the 3rd best, top 5 or even top 10 player in the NBA.

All five of these players have had arguments throughout the season.

Paul is the generic #3 right now, Blake Griffin has been disgusting this season, prompting people to put him as the best PF in the NBA and even "Best player in the NBA in 2 years" threads, Paul George has lately been terrible offensively but we can't forget the first 3 months of the season where many considered him the best two way player in the NBA, Kevin Love continues to put up monster numbers a night that look historical on some scales and Stephen Curry, who has been not great since the All Star break, killed the league the first half, with many people claiming he had taken Paul's spot as top PG in the NBA.

I do apologize though for the absence of Dwight. Even with his latest criticisms, he is still a dominant defensive force that puts up double doubles in his sleep.

Walt
03-06-2014, 01:01 PM
DOUBLE POST :confused:

Snapshot
03-06-2014, 01:05 PM
PG is overrated and should never be mentioned in the top 5, ever, and Love cant lead a team to the PO's, so both are automatically eliminated.

Out of the 3 remaining I might go with Curry, but im biased, I like his game better than CP3 and BG.

MetroMan
03-06-2014, 01:07 PM
Kevin Love

Im_in_Mia_bish
03-06-2014, 01:08 PM
Chris Paul.

BK-TY
03-06-2014, 01:18 PM
Seriously? You guys are joking right? Not ONE mention of Carmelo? The hate is overwhelming!!

rockets-fan
03-06-2014, 01:21 PM
Still don't see what the big fuss is about curry, top 5-8 player and best pg or top two pg in the game but what puts him on another level is beyond me...

Love as well, he's a monster in the stat sheet but I don't see any success coming from it. I'd have curry over love because his team is successful and I understand that curry has a superior cast of players, but if Love had that same cast would he put up the same numbers? Doubt it. That and the lack of defense he plays as a big man, perfect number two player on a team tho has what it takes for a number one. I just don't like the idea of giving him the ball in the last possession of the game.

PG, not a top 3 player just stop.

Paul, is the third best IMO especially when healthy.

1.James
2.Durant
3.Paul

Curry love harden dwight Westbrook Howard all have a case for the next spot. Neither has a clear cut case above anyone

Walt
03-06-2014, 01:24 PM
Seriously? You guys are joking right? Not ONE mention of Carmelo? The hate is overwhelming!!

Ok, my apologies, I slipped on mentioning him, but I don't think he's the third best player in the NBA. The guy can score as well as anyone in the league and has earned my respect this season, but I think he's in the 7-12 range.

Walt
03-06-2014, 01:29 PM
Still don't see what the big fuss is about curry, top 5-8 player and best pg or top two pg in the game but what puts him on another level is beyond me...

Love as well, he's a monster in the stat sheet but I don't see any success coming from it. I'd have curry over love because his team is successful and I understand that curry has a superior cast of players, but if Love had that same cast would he put up the same numbers? Doubt it. That and the lack of defense he plays as a big man, perfect number two player on a team tho has what it takes for a number one. I just don't like the idea of giving him the ball in the last possession of the game.

PG, not a top 3 player just stop.

Paul, is the third best IMO especially when healthy.

1.James
2.Durant
3.Paul

Curry love harden dwight Westbrook Howard all have a case for the next spot. Neither has a clear cut case above anyone

I think George can have some what of a case. He's probably the best non big defender in the game and while lately his offense has been JR Smith efficiency wise, he still went crazy in the first half and this may just be a big slump for a 23 year old. He still has a lot to work on offensively though. No 3rd best player in the NBA has an 0-9 performance against Charlotte especially if you put it in context with Carmelo and LeBron dropping 60 on them.

I think Paul is the easy choice for 3, but these other 4 have made cases throughout the season I think.

KniCks4LiFe
03-06-2014, 01:30 PM
James
Durant
Melo

I don't see anyone breaking that top 3. Maybe Blake Griffin.

Walt
03-06-2014, 01:32 PM
Dwight Howard, Anthony Davis, Carmelo Anthony, Russell Westbrook, James Harden and maybe LaMarcus Aldridge are in the next tier after these guys imo. Then you have Dirk Nowitzki, Tony Parker, John Wall, DeMarcus Cousins, Joakim Noah, Chris Bosh, M. Gasol, etc..

-Kobe24-TJ19-
03-06-2014, 01:36 PM

lol Dwade is history

THE MTL
03-06-2014, 01:55 PM
It's Chris Paul but if you want to discount him die to injury....I would go with Paul George or Stephrn Curry

Mr. Baller
03-06-2014, 02:00 PM
chris paul and its not close

Baller1
03-06-2014, 02:11 PM
Still CP3. Blake, Dwight, and Love all have cases.

sunsfan88
03-06-2014, 02:25 PM

Neither Harden nor Wade are even top 5 players in the NBA. I'd go CP3 at #3, Griffin at #4 and Dwight at #5. Curry could make a case over Dwight as well but Dwight's too good defensively and excellent rebounder with good offensive skills so he edges out Curry.

WES KOAST
03-06-2014, 03:40 PM
ima take curry or noah

KnicksorBust
03-06-2014, 04:00 PM
The fact that one team has two names up there shows you how much of a threat the Clippers are right now in that Western Conference.

NYMetros
03-06-2014, 04:18 PM
Carmelo or Dwight

bagwell368
03-06-2014, 04:24 PM

Your objectivity (or lack thereof) is even more so:

1. Does he play D? Bottom 1/3 for starters at his position.
2. Does he pass? Botton 1/10 at his position - morbidly lacking in passing.
3. Does he rebound? Yeah - average for his position.
4. Is he a great scorer? You bet.
5. Is he efficient in his scoring? Not even close.

So, he's elite at one thing. I want to know if you EVER put him in the top 10 before he got to NY? Yeah, right. How about this year how is his leadership doing keeping them in it? Yeah, right.

tredigs
03-06-2014, 04:39 PM
Melo actually has a low turnover rate and solid efficiency. He doesn't have a good case for top 3, but over the past two seasons I think he's crept into the conversation as a top 5 producer, at least offensively. Still, he has a tendency to stagnate an offense (even if we're convinced that he's their only offense to be had at this point... it's clearly not working, so try something else?) and is not a + defender. For me, he's 8-11, but his case is more warranted now than before for the top 5 argument.

As far as #3, give me Paul if he's 100%. Nobody can dominate a games tempo or has the bbiq of CP3. His one pitfall is that it's tough to get him engaged for 36 minutes.

Curry/Love/Blake are the next 3 imo, with Howard/Harden/Melo/PG rounding out the arguable top 7-10's.

beyourself
03-06-2014, 04:52 PM
I think when you compare players you almost have to separate PG's (especially pass first) from the rest of the players.

archdevil84
03-06-2014, 04:59 PM
melo is certainly top 5 in my opinion

archdevil84
03-06-2014, 05:01 PM
i'd go
1. Lebron
2. Durant
3. Griffin
4. Kevin Love
5. Melo

ManRam
03-06-2014, 05:03 PM
I'm less down on Melo than the past 3 or so years, but he's not even close to #3. I mean, I'd imagine KD or LeBron could get that team comfortably into the playoffs especially considering how weak the East is. If I think that (obviously can't quite prove it) why would I put Melo right behind them if he's not even close to doing that? I couldn't justify it. Melo isn't to blame for that team's woes, but at the same time it's a bit disappointing that they aren't doing better and I'd imagine a true top-3 player could do far more than he has. His play has been solid, but his flaws are real and he hasn't been willing them enough on his own.

It's still CP3. And Dwight deserves to be back in the discussion, especially if we're including PG here

shep33
03-06-2014, 05:04 PM
I say CP3. But if we're talking about just this year, I think Curry has made a solid case for himself

Sadds The Gr8
03-06-2014, 05:06 PM
Lol at ppl who have Melo 3

tredigs
03-06-2014, 05:19 PM
Dwight, no. His inability to hit free throws, produce in any way for others and his high turnover rate just don't get him in a top 3 conversation for me at this point. When he was the beast of the league defensively it was a different story, but he's not at that 2010 level anymore. He's not top 10 in PER/WS/IPV, etc and even WinsProduced which LOVES its bigs (Drummond ranks 2nd, Deandre Jordan 5th and Bogut 7th in that ffs) doesn't have him in the top 25.

He's become a great player again and I have him rounding out my top 10, but he's not producing on the level of some of these other guys I've mentioned.

TylerSL
03-06-2014, 05:28 PM
man thats tough because after Lebron/Durant nobody else really stands out from the rest IMO. This is how I see the it.

1st tier
Lebron
Durant

2nd tier
CP3/Love/Melo/Harden
Curry/Griffin/Howard/Wall

3rd tier
Davis/Aldridge/Westbrook/Parker/Wade
Cousins/Bosh/Noah

I would say the #3 player in the league today would be either CP3/Love. Gun to my head I say CP3, with Love being #4.

tredigs
03-06-2014, 05:32 PM
man thats tough because after Lebron/Durant nobody else really stands out from the rest IMO. This is how I see the it

Top tier
Lebron
Durant

2nd tier
CP3/Love/Melo/Harden

3rd tier
Cousins/Bosh/Noah

I would say the #3 player in the league today would be either CP3/Love. Gun to my head I say CP3, with Love being #4.
I love this scenario:

In your best personal judgement who is the third best player in the NBA! I said who is it!!! :guns:

mrblisterdundee
03-06-2014, 06:38 PM
PG is overrated and should never be mentioned in the top 5, ever, and Love cant lead a team to the PO's, so both are automatically eliminated.

I agree with you on Love, but point guards can be the grease that keeps an offense flowing, not to mention if they play good defense on an opposing team's back court and score a lot. It was a point guard that won MVP before LeBron's recent streak, and Derrick Rose most definitely deserved it.
That said, Chris Paul is the third best player because of his ability to orchestrate an offense better than anyone else, be consistently good on defense and be one of the better scorers in the league when he has to.

WARRIORS@GR
03-06-2014, 06:48 PM
Where is Kyrie Irving?Didn't you guys watch the All Star Game?He thrives in big games like that.

rockets-fan
03-06-2014, 09:57 PM
man thats tough because after Lebron/Durant nobody else really stands out from the rest IMO. This is how I see the it.

1st tier
Lebron
Durant

2nd tier
CP3/Love/Melo/Harden

3rd tier
Cousins/Bosh/Noah

This is the best answer I've seen. CP3/Love/Curry/Griffin have no business being on a tier of their own.

Lebron
Durant

Cp3
Curry
Love/Griffin
Harden
Howard
Melo
George/Westbrook

With 4-8 being interchangeable

amos1er
03-06-2014, 11:14 PM
CP3 for sure. Dude has had like an 11 to one assist to turnover ratio in the past five games.

b@llhog24
03-06-2014, 11:17 PM
chris paul and its not close

This.