PDA

View Full Version : Tyson Chandler "Kevin Love can't play D"

leprechaun5
03-06-2014, 06:29 AM
http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nba-ball-dont-lie/tyson-chandler-says-that-kevin-love-can-t-play-defense-in-halftime-interview--video-091025916.html

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SKto9xsrNQo

AddiX
03-06-2014, 09:50 AM
They went after love pretty often too. Minny made Felton look like a above average pg.

KG21
03-06-2014, 10:19 AM
Tyson is right, and it doesn't matter for which team he plays for because he was DPOY and even if he wasn't he is still a good defensive player. And plus the fact that tyson isn't great on offense proves his statement to be legit as it can get.

TC was 100% right on.

Knick_Fever
03-06-2014, 10:23 AM
http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nba-ball-dont-lie/tyson-chandler-says-that-kevin-love-can-t-play-defense-in-halftime-interview--video-091025916.html

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SKto9xsrNQo

But many will tell you that he's the best power forward in the game. The fact that he's a soft defender is pretty disturbing for someone so good on the other end.

xxplayerxx23
03-06-2014, 10:28 AM
So what? Tyson should shut his mouth. He's correct but what PF nowadays is a lock down defender besides a guy like Davis and ibaka ? Griffin? LMA? Lee? Dirk?

colinskik
03-06-2014, 10:47 AM
So what? Tyson should shut his mouth. He's correct but what PF nowadays is a lock down defender besides a guy like Davis and ibaka ? Griffin? LMA? Lee? Dirk?

No, wrong.

Did you even watch the clip? I was watching this live and the remark was completely from the hip. It was a truthful statement and it was the first thing that came to his head.

Plus, I can't remember the last time he scored 15 points, so, yeah.

Walt
03-06-2014, 10:54 AM
Chandler isn't one to be talking this season. Love and Tyson are about on the same level defensively this year. Chandler has been a disgrace defensively this year.

Stunner
03-06-2014, 11:07 AM
He's right

Stunner
03-06-2014, 11:07 AM
But many will tell you that he's the best power forward in the game. The fact that he's a soft defender is pretty disturbing for someone so good on the other end.

Even with that he's still the best though

Stunner
03-06-2014, 11:08 AM
Chandler isn't one to be talking this season. Love and Tyson are about on the same level defensively this year. Chandler has been a disgrace defensively this year.

Mostly due to injuries and prob the toll of this terrible season but Tyson body of work speaks for himself

Stunner
03-06-2014, 11:09 AM

Taj

Walt
03-06-2014, 11:10 AM
I mean with incredible offense, defense can be overlooked. Look at Dirk, while his defense is and has always been better than Love's and is a little above average as opposed to god awful like people say, he's regarded as a top 20-25 player in NBA history and has been the best PF in the NBA for many many years in the NBA (if you take out the GOAT Duncan or consider him a Center).

xxplayerxx23
03-06-2014, 11:13 AM
No, wrong.

Did you even watch the clip? I was watching this live and the remark was completely from the hip. It was a truthful statement and it was the first thing that came to his head.

Plus, I can't remember the last time he scored 15 points, so, yeah.

So? Tyson has played well the last two weeks but he has been awful before that. If I'm love I respond by saying mayb Tyson should learn how to finish a layup or learn to hit a 10 footer more then just once every 10 games

xxplayerxx23
03-06-2014, 11:14 AM
Taj

Was sort of naming the top guys but yeah taj is pretty solid too

nycericanguy
03-06-2014, 11:26 AM

one man alone can't defend an entire team, especially when you have Felton at PG who has been far and away the worst PG in the league this year allowing defenders into the lane all game long.

Put Tyson on CHI or IND and people would be saying he's a DPOY candidate. He didn't forget how to defend, and he hasn't lost athleticism, he's just on a bad team right now with no system.

Tony_Starks
03-06-2014, 11:40 AM
Glad somebody finally called him out. Most objective fans have been saying this for a while.

He's a horrible defender.

Jetsguy
03-06-2014, 11:41 AM
Its true but Love could say the same about Chandler's Offense and it would be as true

VendettaRed07
03-06-2014, 11:51 AM
Hes about 4 or 5 inches shorter than you Tyson.. So why is it that he can outrebound you literally every day of the week?

Tyson doesn't defend, rebound, block or score this season. We might as well plug in a traffic cone in the starting line up.

nycericanguy
03-06-2014, 11:54 AM
Hes about 4 or 5 inches shorter than you Tyson.. So why is it that he can outrebound you literally every day of the week?

Tyson doesn't defend, rebound, block or score this season. We might as well plug in a traffic cone in the starting line up.

um his rebounding and shot blocking rate is above his career average this year? And since when has Tyson been a scorer?

True Sports Fan
03-06-2014, 11:57 AM

Tyson doesn't defend, rebound, block or score this season. We might as well plug in a traffic cone in the starting line up. You can have the g.o.a.t Aaron Gray

meloman1592
03-06-2014, 12:00 PM
Even though Tyson has been a disgrace this year, he's right. And why does love get a pass for his D? When guys like melo and Blake get called out on the daily

flea
03-06-2014, 12:05 PM
Yeah he's right. It's why I don't consider Love a top 10 player, and what I think is going to hamper his teams' success for his whole career. It's not that he's just average, it's that he's one of the worst starting PFs in the league - if not the worst.

John Walls Era
03-06-2014, 12:05 PM
best pf in the league

Da Knicks
03-06-2014, 12:07 PM
Kevin love is a horrible defender but Tyson should not have said that.

Walt
03-06-2014, 12:09 PM
Chandler is right though. Love is pathetic on defense and while I don't watch many T'Wolves games, maybe that's a big part why they lose.

Hellcrooner
03-06-2014, 12:14 PM
yes, is true

so what?

if you make the exception of kg and Duncan NO star pf in the last 15 year has had good d.
not webber, not dirk, not pau, not Griffin, not lamarcus, not jamison...

none

KniCks4LiFe
03-06-2014, 12:15 PM
Tyson is right! but unfortunately, this pot calling kettle, b/c Kevin Love has actually played better D this season and he's actually what Tyson Chandler is defensively this season.

Tyson Chandler has given up 0.84 PPP, Kevin Love 0.86 PPP, [let that sink in, this man won the DPOY award last season]

And when you look at LeBron, he's given up 0.84 PPP, but he guards the whole floor PG/SG/SF/PF and at times C, so 0.84 for LeBron is very good, 0.84 for Tyson when your assignment is protect the paint, horrific.

Back to Love. Where Love struggles is really the PnR, more like the roll man's efficiency vs him. Opp. roll man are shooting 52% vs Love. He fixes that him and Tyson right now aren't all that different. Sadly.

Vinny642
03-06-2014, 12:27 PM
yes, is true

so what?

if you make the exception of kg and Duncan NO star pf in the last 15 year has had good d.

none

Davis....

flea
03-06-2014, 12:30 PM
yes, is true

so what?

none

Well you're dead wrong on Pau and Webber, and Griffin and Dirk are at least average to above-average defenders. Defense doesn't mean you're either good or your'e just in the pile with the not goods.

Hellcrooner
03-06-2014, 12:33 PM
Davis....

the unibrow?

is still too Young and has played a lot of center for the moment.
in the future he sure can develop into star pf and play both sides of the ball.

KniCks4LiFe
03-06-2014, 12:37 PM
The only good thing I can say about Love and Tyson's defense is it's worldly better than whatever Andray Blatche is playing. :laugh2:

Vinny642
03-06-2014, 05:19 PM
the unibrow?

is still too Young and has played a lot of center for the moment.
in the future he sure can develop into star pf and play both sides of the ball.

Dont buy that too young stuff... and he actually plays PF a lot.

SlimKid
03-06-2014, 05:26 PM
Yeah he's right. It's why I don't consider Love a top 10 player, and what I think is going to hamper his teams' success for his whole career. It's not that he's just average, it's that he's one of the worst starting PFs in the league - if not the worst.

Stopped reading the thread after this..

Hawkeye15
03-06-2014, 05:29 PM
Love isn't playing well defensively this year. At all. He and Pekovic give up layups and paint points like they are getting paid to do it. Which is why it would be better to get a 08-12' Chandler type to play next to him.

-Kobe24-TJ19-
03-06-2014, 05:36 PM
lmao Chandler has been terrible this season.

Hawkeye15
03-06-2014, 05:36 PM
Chandler is right though. Love is pathetic on defense and while I don't watch many T'Wolves games, maybe that's a big part why they lose.

he isn't a good defender, but to be fair, without Love, we are in the race with the Bucks/Sixers for the top pick. We have some names, but the pieces don't seem to fit well. When Love sits, we go to ****.

Hawkeye15
03-06-2014, 05:38 PM
lmao Chandler has been terrible this season.

he is still right. Love many times contests, but he isn't nearly his listed height, and can't jump well, so he just willingly lets a guy take a slightly contested shot and tries to get the defensive board instead of really contesting. Chandler has a huge height advantage, so he was just turning and dumping the ball over the top of Love anyways.

Hawkeye15
03-06-2014, 05:40 PM

little extreme there bud. No PF giving you 26/13/4 on elite efficiency is bad. He may not be a good defender, but every team in the league would kill to have him.

TheNumber37
03-06-2014, 05:45 PM
It's not about being a lockdown defender at any NBA position. Most NBA players, play average to above average defense, then their are elite defenders.
Kevin Love is a below average defender, rebounding helps but he's still below average.

Tyon is above average to elite.

colinskik
03-06-2014, 05:56 PM
So? Tyson has played well the last two weeks but he has been awful before that. If I'm love I respond by saying mayb Tyson should learn how to finish a layup or learn to hit a 10 footer more then just once every 10 games

The point was the Love allowed Tyson to "go off," which for him is scoring 15 points.

Plus, and most importantly, Chandler was asked a question that prompted this type of answer. He really didn't say it maliciously. If Love were to respond in the manner you suggested it would come off very shallow.

Conversely, if Tyson made this comment out of thin air, then it's a low blow. However, if Love were asked how he would defend Tyson during a halftime interview and he said, "No need to pay too much attention since he can't score down low on his own," that too would be a true statement that I wouldn't have a problem with.

flea
03-06-2014, 05:57 PM
little extreme there bud. No PF giving you 26/13/4 on elite efficiency is bad. He may not be a good defender, but every team in the league would kill to have him.

I meant defensively. Obviously he's the best offensive PF (true PF) in the league.

Hawkeye15
03-06-2014, 06:00 PM
I meant defensively. Obviously he's the best offensive PF (true PF) in the league.

ah, gotcha. I find it hard to believe Love is the worst defender at his position. He does have base strength, and is smart, and he grabs your misses. But one on one, in the paint, he is not good.

Hawkeye15
03-06-2014, 06:01 PM
I just wish Love would listen to these comments and take defense more seriously.

SPURSFAN1
03-06-2014, 06:13 PM
Are the knicks even making the playoffs in the eastern conference?

sunsfan88
03-06-2014, 08:36 PM
Why are people mad cause he said this?

Do people actually think Love plays defense? He's as good and useful defensively as Harden and Nash are.

He makes Melo look like Pippen.

flea
03-06-2014, 08:40 PM
Why are people mad cause he said this?

Do people actually think Love plays defense? He's as good and useful defensively as Harden and Nash are.

He makes Melo look like Pippen.

I wonder if Harden is the absolute worst starting SG defender in the league. He'd have to be fairly close. You'd think it would hurt your ego to be a superstar player that's only entrusted with checking average shooters and offensive nothings.

NYJ - NYY
03-06-2014, 09:42 PM
Are the knicks even making the playoffs in the eastern conference?

Cuz that's relevant to the thread and all