PDA

View Full Version : Roy Hibbert overrated ?????

goku
03-05-2014, 11:20 PM
Roy Hibbert points/rebounds last 11 games:

14/12
4/7
10/5
4/6
4/6
10/6
24/12
15/5
2/4
12/3
4/4

now im not trying to start anything but he is 7'2 averaging 7 boards and just 12 pts "not a big deal" ive heard a few ppl say he better then Dwight I don't even think he a top 5 center in the game

he has a max contract too if im not mistaken

23dragonzord
03-05-2014, 11:28 PM
he's good on defense tho

jimm120
03-05-2014, 11:36 PM
He is overrated but its mostly about perception.

He isn't an allstar nor a DPOY

That said, he's good enough to at least get a few votes for Dpoy. He also has on ok shot.

He 'overrated" because he's not an allstar. But he certainly is a damn fine player.

I'd have him pegged as a type of player that Tyson Chandler was from 2010-2012

goku
03-05-2014, 11:36 PM
he's good on defense tho

he has regressed since the first 2 months and just got worked by Al Jefferson he just a big body Noah Drummond Howard a few others would be upgrades defensively to me

bleedprple&gold
03-05-2014, 11:38 PM
Yes he is. Those are very pedestrian numbers. how does a 7'2" guy go a whole game and only get 4 rebounds??

black1605
03-05-2014, 11:40 PM
Overpaid more than overrated if that's possible.

ayuntalo
03-05-2014, 11:42 PM
He is under rated to me.
You're looking at the stats but he makes a lot of impact on the court specially on defense.
He is one of the solid pieces indiana has.

Paul george to me is Over rated. He is not a superstar that carries the pacers to what they have now.
He is just an upcoming star on a very solid indiana team.

Hibbert > george for me in terms of impact on that team

ayuntalo
03-05-2014, 11:44 PM
Overpaid more than overrated if that's possible.

This. But Nba right now, they just throw out bad contracts after bad comtracts. Everybody is a little overpaid

Kyben36
03-05-2014, 11:44 PM
i beleive him to be, and defensivly as well, he blocks alot of shots, but he doesnt move his feet well, he has offense but he needs the ball, and i dont beleive him and west to be a good duo. just two ball dominate players cant co exist like that.

Ebbs
03-05-2014, 11:46 PM
Yes

Dade County
03-05-2014, 11:49 PM
I was listing to sports radio about a week ago, and this Pacer fan called in to totally rip Roy.

He called him over rated, and stated to break down Roy numbers, basically saying that Roy started off the season really good, but those numbers in the beginning of the year are inflating his over all stat lines.

All i know is that when he plays the HEAT, his the number one center in the league...LMAO!!!! lol

goku
03-05-2014, 11:49 PM
he got his change from playing decent against the heat thin Frontline who starts bosh at center

Dade County
03-05-2014, 11:52 PM
He is under rated to me.
You're looking at the stats but he makes a lot of impact on the court specially on defense.

Paul george to me is Over rated. He is not a superstar that carries the pacers to what they have now.

eibbor
03-05-2014, 11:55 PM
He isn't asked to score or even rebound. Look at the rebounding from the rest of the team.

He does what he is asked to do which is to play d.

Pacers lose a couple games and ppl get worried... lol

goku
03-05-2014, 11:55 PM
He is under rated to me.

Hibbert not even mobile to go out on the perimeter if switched he just a rim protector and he not good one on one defender

goku
03-05-2014, 11:57 PM
He isn't asked to score or even rebound. Look at the rebounding from the rest of the team.

not talking about the Pacer talking about Hibberts play and the fact that ppl mention him as the best center in the league........

ayuntalo
03-06-2014, 12:07 AM
Hibbert not even mobile to go out on the perimeter if switched he just a rim protector and he not good one on one defender

Remove roy hibbert from that line up and they're not gonna be that good defensively imo.
They have players that can defend but hibbert is the centerpiece of what they are good at

eibbor
03-06-2014, 12:08 AM

Spelling and reading are both fundamental.

Of course he isn't a good perimeter defender, he is a center. He is a great 1 on 1 defender. Anybody that doesn't see that is stupid or blind.

People worry about stats so much... Changing shots matters... Giving up rebounds because you asre doing your job matters even if it means your team gets them and you take ridiculous criticism. You do the job you are asked to do.

JEDean89
03-06-2014, 12:09 AM
Honestly rim protection might be the most important big man stat their is, who cares if he doesn't rebound if he is blocking out? he is the 2nd best rim protector (after bismack biyombo), and he and George anchor Indiana's defense. Think about how many true defensive anchors their are in this league. People need to move away from raw stats and move into determining whether players are playing the right role on their team. Love is a great rebounder but he never makes a defensive play at the rim. It is in fact more difficult to get rebounds if your back is to the basket while making an attempt to defend the rim. It's why guys like Kenneth Faried struggle to make a defensive impact. Hibbs does not need to score and rebound at monster rates, he's not Shaq, but if he is defending the rim and boxing out, he is one of the most valuable players in the league for team success.

koreancabbage
03-06-2014, 12:09 AM
he'll beast in the playoffs when its a half court game. I thought they would run the ball through him during the season but I was wrong. Hibbert is a player that is suited more towards the grind it out half court games i.e. playoff games.

MetroMan
03-06-2014, 12:10 AM
he is overrated. If the pacers had prime Yao Ming it would be a wrap

eibbor
03-06-2014, 12:15 AM

Prime Ming never happened. It is probably a wrap anyway

Sadds The Gr8
He's disappointing me on offense. I thought he'd really have a better scoring season after what he did to MIA in the playoffs last year but it looks like he clearly just takes advantage of way smaller front-lines. Still don't think he's overrated though...I don't see anyone calling him the best big man or anything. His defense is still dominant and that shouldn't get overlooked but it usually does by people who barely watch him

TylerSL
Yes he is overrated. Was given a max contract, shoots a low percentage for a big man (.461), and for all the talk on how big he is, he only brings in 7 1/2 boards a game. He is a very good rim protector and a big body, not really much else. People make a big deal about him because he is 7'2, 275 in an era where big men are less prominent. That's not saying he is bad, he is/was worthy of his Eastern Conference All Star selection this year. Having a guy like him crowd the paint would be a luxury any team would love to have. Still overrated IMO.

ayuntalo
03-06-2014, 12:19 AM

Yeah, yao ming who couldnt defend either mhemet okur or carlos boozer.
Which tells you rebound and blocks and stats dont show the whole picture

Slug3
03-06-2014, 12:23 AM
he has regressed since the first 2 months and just got worked by Al Jefferson he just a big body Noah Drummond Howard a few others would be upgrades defensively to me

I'm not going to say he's overrated on D, but geez does he get away with so many body fouls while just throwing his hands straight up.

goku
03-06-2014, 12:36 AM
He's disappointing me on offense. I thought he'd really have a better scoring season after what he did to MIA in the playoffs last year but it looks like he clearly just takes advantage of way smaller front-lines. Still don't think he's overrated though...I don't see anyone calling him the best big man or anything. His defense is still dominant and that shouldn't get overlooked but it usually does by people who barely watch him

ive watched him he takes advantage of smaller frontlines ala heat and Tyson chandler for some reason but mediocre against other teams

goku
03-06-2014, 12:39 AM
Switch Dwight noah maybe Drummond or Boogie "headcase" on the pacers Im pretty sure they would beat the heat in a series not trying say the heat are not worthy champs or anything im just saying they would be upgrades to hibbert

DallasTrilla23
03-06-2014, 12:40 AM
Roy is overrated.. He's the best rim protector in the league but he doesn't do much else. His rebounding numbers are pathetic man, I think Lance Stephenson is out rebounding his 7'2 weak ***. With all that said, I would love to have him on my team.

Sadds The Gr8
03-06-2014, 12:43 AM
Roy is overrated.. He's the best rim protector in the league but he doesn't do much else. His rebounding numbers are pathetic man, I think Lance Stephenson is out rebounding his 7'2 weak ***. With all that said, I would love to have him on my team.

Shouldn't that be a big deal? That should count for alot so I don't see how you can call him overrated then. Basketball is the only sport where individual defense basically goes unnoticed. In Football, Soccer, Baseball defense is recognized by everyone so I don't know why it isn't in basketball. I know it doesn't have much stats other than blocks or steals, but soccer doesn't have many stats either. People need to give more credit to rim protectors.

He's not the best rebounder, but he plays with 2 great rebounding wing players.

He's not the best scorer, but he's far from awful at that.

DallasTrilla23
03-06-2014, 12:46 AM
Switch Dwight noah maybe Drummond or Boogie "headcase" on the pacers Im pretty sure they would beat the heat in a series not trying say the heat are not worthy champs or anything im just saying they would be upgrades to hibbert

You're reaching bruh. When's the last time Booger even blocked a shot?

goku
03-06-2014, 12:53 AM

Boogie can punish them offensively and the kings as a whole a horrible Defensive team maybe with better coaching a supporting cast he would be more engaged on that end that's why he in the maybe with Drummond he still is raw

goku
03-06-2014, 12:55 AM

Boogie can punish them offensively and the kings as a whole a horrible Defensive team maybe with better coaching a supporting cast he would be more engaged on that end that's why he in the maybe with Drummond still is raw

benny01
03-06-2014, 12:57 AM
Hibbert's good and I don't think overrated, George is if anyone. I think the fact that he plays with other guys that rebound and score affects his stats. There are only so many of each to be had. He plays great defense that changes games and is good enough offensively to exploit a teams weakness in a series, which is when he'll matter.

Bostonjorge
03-06-2014, 01:12 AM
Hibbert didn't have good numbers last season either then the playoffs started and he had a good series against NY then became a force against Miami. In the playoffs the game slows down and hibbert will benefit from that again.

DillyDill
03-06-2014, 01:22 AM
Hibbert didn't have good numbers last season either then the playoffs started and he had a good series against NY then became a force against Miami. In the playoffs the game slows down and hibbert will benefit from that again.

Exactly I think people are overreacting wanting to see playoff Hibbert in the regular season.

mngopher35
03-06-2014, 01:26 AM
Hibbert is the centerpiece to the #1 defense in the league the last two seasons. He also steps up big in the playoffs, especially vs. Miami (which is huge since it is a 2 team race out east). He might not be the best center in the league, but he has a large impact for that team.

FOBolous
03-06-2014, 01:37 AM
hell yes. some people think he's the best Center in the league :laugh2: some people even rank him above Dwight Howard :laugh: to me, Roy Hibbert = Tyson Chandler

goku
03-06-2014, 02:21 AM
he still shoots below 50% in the playoffs lol and yea he dominates the heat cause Chris bosh is the center ....

his numbers are pretty similar to me If oden is healthy he could nullify him

KniCks4LiFe
03-06-2014, 02:31 AM
I think he's saving it for the playoffs. IDK if he's overrated, but I don't think he's an allstar either. I do think a player like Mason Plumlee or Joakim or Gibson, they'd give him fits. I can't see him striding w/ those bigs come playoff. But it all comes down to that transition D.

FOBolous
03-06-2014, 02:35 AM
I think he's saving it for the playoffs. IDK if he's overrated, but I don't think he's an allstar either. I do think a player like Mason Plumlee or Joakim or Gibson, they'd give him fits. I can't see him striding w/ those bigs come playoff. But it all comes down to that transition D.

seriously?

KniCks4LiFe
03-06-2014, 02:48 AM
seriously?

I said I think, I'm not really sure. I mean he's been very mediocre this season. But that could be the system or him saving it for the playoffs or him just being mediocre.

2-ONE-5
03-06-2014, 10:59 AM
he is really overrated. good paint defender but that whole starting 5 are strong defenders too.

ewing
03-06-2014, 11:00 AM
he seems to sleep walk through a lot of games.

nycericanguy
03-06-2014, 11:23 AM
he is really overrated. good paint defender but that whole starting 5 are strong defenders too.

yea Pacers have a great TEAM defense, I would be interested to see how Hibbert would fare on a team that is a mess like NY or just on an average team defensively, could he anchor that team on D?

It's so much about the team and system you're in. I think if you put Tyson & Shump on IND they would look like great defenders too, but on NY, most people want them gone and say they are overrated on D.

John Walls Era
03-06-2014, 12:17 PM
His stats are trash. But defensively hes really good.

KniCks4LiFe
03-06-2014, 12:44 PM
His stats are trash. But defensively hes really good.

Exactly. Not allstar offense, but when it comes to the other side.

0.75 overall PPP against. That is ridiculous. Opp. posting him up are 35 for 126. The great wall of Hibbert does not allow you to post him up. And the PnR ball handler is only 89 for 243.

flea
03-06-2014, 12:48 PM
He's probably the best rim protector in the league (though I may have said that last year and Duncan would have made me look like a fool). He's no worse than top 3 and I think he's the most important player on that team. George is having a nice season scoring, but it's not being done overly efficiently. He's a fine wing defender too, but a lot of his reputation is aided by Hibbert because teams can't score in the paint against Indiana.

Tblaze
03-06-2014, 12:51 PM
Exactly. Not allstar offense, but when it comes to the other side.

0.75 overall PPP against. That is ridiculous. Opp. posting him up are 35 for 126. The great wall of Hibbert does not allow you to post him up. And the PnR ball handler is only 89 for 243.

Thus he's perfectly executing his role on the team, the pacers are LOADED with scorers.. Also the Pacers are rated 4th or something as far as rebounding overall.. so I think it's more about him filling a role on the team instead of individual stats..

king4day
03-06-2014, 12:57 PM
I was at the game last night. No one, outside of maybe Turner off the bench, looked good for Indy. Teams have games like that.
Hibbert is still a solid center and if he was a free agent this summer, many teams would offer him the same contact.

ShockerArt
03-06-2014, 01:12 PM
This is what Hibbert does. He has stretches where he plays like an all star and then he disappears. His offense comes and goes. Going back to his Georgetown days, he has never really been a great rebounder IMO. But, he is a good rim protector and I bet he'll be pretty effective again in the playoffs for the Pacers.

PurpleLynch
03-06-2014, 01:15 PM
On the defensive end is really good. He's a superb rim protector. I'd like to see him getting more rebounds,but the scoring doesn't bother me,he's playing the role Vogel designed for him(defense anchor of all Pacers teammates).

He's not an outstanding player,but he's a fundamental piece on that team and for their game philosophy.

NoahH
03-06-2014, 01:19 PM
He's overrated in everything except Defense. He's unreal on D

goku
03-06-2014, 03:25 PM
He's overrated in everything except Defense. He's unreal on D

mr Jefferson begs to differ

ztilzer31
03-06-2014, 03:31 PM
People are going to hate me even more for this.

But Roy Hibbert is a poor man's Dwight Howard.

Also his defense is overrated. He's great at protecting the rim, but a team that can shoot on stretch the floor makes him vulnerable. He's incredibly uncomfortable looking when he's not protecting the rim.

However he's one of the best help defenders in basketball, and just about any team would be better with him.

Hawkeye15
03-06-2014, 03:32 PM
haven't read through the thread, but he doesn't get rebounds because Vogel wants him challenging shots, and sends his PF/SF/SG to the defensive glass. The Pacers are a great rebounding team defensively.

He is not asked to score.

flea
03-06-2014, 03:36 PM
haven't read through the thread, but he doesn't get rebounds because Vogel wants him challenging shots, and sends his PF/SF/SG to the defensive glass. The Pacers are a great rebounding team defensively.

I think this idea is missed on a lot of fans. Your rim protector very rarely is going to be your leading rebounder if you're a good team. If he is, it's by design (you have a stretch 4 or something) or he's really good on the offensive glass. The center should be the last guy in position for the defensive rebound on shots taken around the paint, because he's the last line of defense.

DetroitBadBoy
03-06-2014, 07:23 PM
Hibbert is overrated. His defensive presence is his only plus but it's just because he's 7'2. He completely hijacked Drummonds all star bid.

ztilzer31
03-06-2014, 07:43 PM

...Well yeah he's not asked to score because he's as sloppy as it gets in the post. Guy averages 2 turnovers a game with limited touches.

ztilzer31
03-06-2014, 07:45 PM
Hibbert is overrated. His defensive presence is his only plus but it's just because he's 7'2. He completely hijacked Drummonds all star bid.

Meh. I wouldn't be too worried about it if I was a Pistons fan. Once you guys start winning people will start noticing.

But I do agree. Drummond deserved it more.

ztilzer31
03-06-2014, 07:46 PM
I think this idea is missed on a lot of fans. Your rim protector very rarely is going to be your leading rebounder if you're a good team. If he is, it's by design (you have a stretch 4 or something) or he's really good on the offensive glass. The center should be the last guy in position for the defensive rebound on shots taken around the paint, because he's the last line of defense.

Dwight Howard says hi.

Leftcoast_yg
03-06-2014, 07:55 PM
He is under rated to me.

What self refuting statement hahaha

flea
03-06-2014, 08:16 PM
Dwight Howard says hi.

Did you read the word "rarely?" A top 3 center being able to do it doesn't mean I was wrong. Dwight has also played on teams that employ stretch 4s most of the time for his whole career. If you're the only guy in the paint you better get your fair share of rebounds or else that system doesn't work.

ztilzer31
03-06-2014, 08:25 PM
Did you read the word "rarely?" A top 3 center being able to do it doesn't mean I was wrong. Dwight has also played on teams that employ stretch 4s most of the time for his whole career. If you're the only guy in the paint you better get your fair share of rebounds or else that system doesn't work.

He doesn't now.

There have been plenty too. Rodman. Mutumbo (he did play with some stretch 4's though I believe). Patrick Ewing. Basically all the good Centers in the 90's lol.

You saying that a top 3 center can do it sure, but this time last year everyone was calling Hibbert the best defensive center in the NBA (false) and many said he was top 3. Hence the reason for the thread. Hibbert is overrated.

Edit: I know Rodman played the 4 mostly but he's kind of considered a center.

flea
03-06-2014, 08:34 PM
Yes HOF defensive studs do it, that's obvious. There's a reason it usually requires HOF talent to accomplish, though. It's also why people tend to say guys that play away from the basket are bad rebounders (the Gasols, Brook Lopez, etc.). Less opportunity for offensive rebounds. Rebounding is really a team thing anyway, because if you have guards that never box out you're going to get killed regardless of what your bigs do. Conversely, if your bigs are always boxing out it makes the guards' lives very easy when chasing rebounds (like Stephenson and George on the Pacers).

Oh, and Rodman was a 4 and I don't know anyone that considered him a center. Aren't you the one that said MJ was a tall tale?

ztilzer31
03-06-2014, 08:40 PM
Yes HOF defensive studs do it, that's obvious. There's a reason it usually requires HOF talent to accomplish, though. It's also why people tend to say guys that play away from the basket are bad rebounders (the Gasols, Brook Lopez, etc.). Less opportunity for offensive rebounds. Rebounding is really a team thing anyway, because if you have guards that never box out you're going to get killed regardless of what your bigs do. Conversely, if your bigs are always boxing out it makes the guards' lives very easy when chasing rebounds (like Stephenson and George on the Pacers).

Oh, and Rodman was a 4 and I don't know anyone that considered him a center. Aren't you the one that said MJ was a tall tale?

Yes. Would you like to go into that forum and discuss that further? Or would you like to stay on topic in this one?

You just said that "you have to be a top 3 center" in order to pull that off... Well Hibbert in a lot of peoples minds 6 months ago was considered top 3. That's the point of this thread.

flea
03-06-2014, 08:43 PM
I consider Hibbert a top 3 center. That he doesn't do it does not change that. Are you trolling or are you really confusing logic this hard? I didn't say being a top 3 center means you have to lead your team in rebounds. I said it's not surprising when a really good center does it.

ztilzer31
03-06-2014, 09:11 PM
I consider Hibbert a top 3 center. That he doesn't do it does not change that. Are you trolling or are you really confusing logic this hard? I didn't say being a top 3 center means you have to lead your team in rebounds. I said it's not surprising when a really good center does it.

I mean what you said is false though?

Look at Deandre Jordan?
Joakim Noah?

Also why is Hibbert above these people in rankings when these guys have shown to be valuable on both ends of the court?

Sure Hibbert is a better defender than Jordan, but Jordan's no scrub, and gets rebounds.
Noah is better in every aspect of the game besides protecting the rim than Hibbert.

If we're putting Hibbert in this category of being top 3 why does he get a pass on this while people like Noah/Howard/Jordan

Even Andrew Bogut.

I just think it's a false statement to say that defensive players can't lead their team in rebounding. Then try to say that's your argument for defending a guy for others saying he's overrated.

Sure most centers don't do both, but most top 3 ones do more than JUST play defense.

flea
03-06-2014, 09:20 PM
Yes it happens, but even the criticism for DJ in his career has been how he bails out on help to chase a board. I think Noah has a solid argument against Hibbert, and I certainly enjoy watching Noah more, so I'm not going to defend one or other if they're our 3rd in the top. Hibbert is a fine defensive center, and I don't think his rebounding is necessarily a weakness. It's just not something he's great at.

ztilzer31
03-06-2014, 09:27 PM
Yes it happens, but even the criticism for DJ in his career has been how he bails out on help to chase a board. I think Noah has a solid argument against Hibbert, and I certainly enjoy watching Noah more, so I'm not going to defend one or other if they're our 3rd in the top. Hibbert is a fine defensive center, and I don't think his rebounding is necessarily a weakness. It's just not something he's great at.

I think that's the problem with Hibbert though. What is he great at besides protecting the rim? He's a one trick pony that has kind of gotten this crown based off a few playoff games.

Not trying to say he's bad just saying can't you see why he might be a little overrated?

flea
03-06-2014, 09:34 PM
I guess it depends on how you rate him. He's not better than Howard or Gasol, imo. Noah and Horford have strong arguments too. A lot of people will say Cousins but until I watch him more or I see some convincing defensive stats I'm just not sure. I dunno, I think he's right in the middle of all those names I mentioned. If he's rated higher than that, then he's probably overrated.

ztilzer31
03-06-2014, 09:47 PM
I guess it depends on how you rate him. He's not better than Howard or Gasol, imo. Noah and Horford have strong arguments too. A lot of people will say Cousins but until I watch him more or I see some convincing defensive stats I'm just not sure. I dunno, I think he's right in the middle of all those names I mentioned. If he's rated higher than that, then he's probably overrated.

I can definitely tell you that 6 months ago most of this forum had Hibbert over Howard by a long shot, and many had him as the best center in the league. I don't know if opinions have changed, but during my campaign for dwight most people had either Marc Gasol or Roy Hibbert as the best center in the league.

DatDude19
03-07-2014, 02:15 AM

14/12
4/7
10/5
4/6
4/6
10/6
24/12
15/5
2/4
12/3
4/4

now im not trying to start anything but he is 7'2 averaging 7 boards and just 12 pts "not a big deal" ive heard a few ppl say he better then Dwight I don't even think he a top 5 center in the game

Relax, take your mind off the stat sheet for a few minutes. Watch a Roy Hibbert Pacer game. Dude protects the rim like no other in the game (except maybe Howard, Sanders, and a healthy Bogut). His percentages are still decent, he doesn't score as much because he has players around him to do that. He knows his role on the team as a defender and a leader on the other side of the floor.

Edit: I forgot about Marc Gasol when mentioning defenders in the NBA. You could say Ibaka too but his numbers are inflated because he handles the weak side opposite Perkins/Collison and is matched up with undersized players.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DatDude19
03-07-2014, 02:28 AM

Al Jefferson will body almost any center in the league, he's a big physical player and just because Hibbert gave up a big game to him doesn't diminish the fact that he defends well against other good bigs and people attacking the rim

DatDude19
03-07-2014, 02:31 AM
People are going to hate me even more for this.

But Roy Hibbert is a poor man's Dwight Howard.

Also his defense is overrated. He's great at protecting the rim, but a team that can shoot on stretch the floor makes him vulnerable. He's incredibly uncomfortable looking when he's not protecting the rim.

However he's one of the best help defenders in basketball, and just about any team would be better with him.

Take Hibbert from under the rim and you have those players who are spreading the floor quickly slashing to the basket. You want Hibbert's presence known in the paint or want him guarding a player taking 16 foot jumpers? That's where other players need to step up and leave Hibbert where he belongs on D. He's such a valuable asset to the team on that end.

ztilzer31
03-07-2014, 04:03 PM
Take Hibbert from under the rim and you have those players who are spreading the floor quickly slashing to the basket. You want Hibbert's presence known in the paint or want him guarding a player taking 16 foot jumpers? That's where other players need to step up and leave Hibbert where he belongs on D. He's such a valuable asset to the team on that end.

Yes but you can say this about any decent center in the NBA, and yes Hibbert is damn good at protecting the rim.

That's it though. He can't get stretched out without being uncomfortable, and he's damn near a liability on offense with the high turn over rate, poor pass game, and inconsistent post game.

He's still young. Not writing him off. Just saying he's no guaranteed top 3 like everyone pretends.

goku
03-08-2014, 01:19 AM
9/3/2

DillyDill
03-08-2014, 01:23 AM
9/3/2

Lol everybody has an off gm now and again

goku
03-08-2014, 01:27 AM
Lol everybody has an off gm now and again

its too frequent with Hibbert

DillyDill
03-08-2014, 01:33 AM
its too frequent with Hibbert

But Hibbs did his job tonight with 3 blocks and plenty rim protection. He's offense is a bonus

slashsnake
03-08-2014, 01:46 AM
Well he is a top 5 center today because of what he does on Defense, but if he was playing 10-20 years ago I think he'd be a mediocre center where I would struggle to see him in the top 10, or maybe even 15. (behind Ewing, Zo, Olajuwon, Robinson, Willis, Seikaly, Smits, Shaq, Motumbo, Daugherty, Divac, Sabonis)

He's a 12 and 7 guy who is a great rim protector. He reminds me of an early Benoit Benjamin when he was with the Clippers, maybe used a little more on offense...

sunsfan88
03-17-2014, 12:52 AM
7 of the 10 Pacers who played against Detroit had more rebounds than Hibbert including some who didn't play nearly as much minutes as him.

http://www.nba.com/games/20140315/INDDET/gameinfo.html?ls=slt

Hibbert with 5 rebounds in 32 minutes.

Bostonjorge
03-17-2014, 03:03 AM
Hibbert's play is leading to wins. His stats may not show it but his record does. The C's people have ranked higher then him are not any kind of force that hibbert was in the playoffs last year. Howard leads all C in turnovers. Noah also has more turnovers then Hibbert. All these C have faults not just Hibbert. He might be overrated but having him in the top of C's list only is not overrating him. My list.

Gasol
Hibbert
Cousins
Howard
Noah

ombada
03-17-2014, 03:45 AM
This is what i wrote in a similar thread in the Pacers forum:

Hibbert is still the most consistent defensive presence we have. He is getting a lot of the blame for being the only player in solid defensive position most of the time. To come off of his man in help defense because the perimeter defender lets his man blow right past him and penetrate into the paint, makes Hibbert look like hes the one out of position or playing bad defense because the man he came off of to help is the one who is open for the easy bucket.

If this happens over and over again over the course of a game, we end up seeing stats like Hibbert with 8 pts and 5 rebounds and the guy he was guarding with 20 and 10. It also pulls him out of position for rebounds and it kills his confidence. He is a guy that needs big plays on defense to energize his offensive game. Thats when he becomes more aggressive.

On the offensive side of the ball he needs to figure out a way to raise his intensity that doesnt have to do with making defensive plays so that he can become more consistent. I want him to be more aggressive as well, but i also dont want him to take a bunch of contested shots in the paint unless he can get himself to the line. Again, he is the type of player that will lose confidence in his offensive game if he cant get a few shots to go down.

In that same vein he needs to work harder to get open and guys like Hill/Stephenson and George need to work harder to get him the ball when he does get deep position inside. He does not take enough shots.

basically, Hibbert is paying for his teammates bad perimeter defense. He has been really good consistently on the defensive side of the ball and doesnt get beat very often in one on one situations.

On the offesive side he needs to be more assertive. Quick shots from too much iso play on offense usually leads to defensive rebounds, especially when you have a slow footed center trying to pace his way up and down the court.

Our offense has been out of sync due to the lack of good passing. We are turning the ball over way to frequently and not finding the open man often enough. We arent playing inside out either. Just a bunch of iso. However like in the second half of the Pistons game when its on, its on.

HouRealCoach
03-17-2014, 03:56 AM
Yeah that guy is pretty average

D-Leethal
03-17-2014, 10:09 AM
Defensive anchors, more than any other position, are always more valuable then their stats suggest. He anchors the best defense in the league - thats good enough for a top 5 C in my book. Noah is clearly the best in the biz right now.

farren.louis
03-17-2014, 10:56 AM
I think Roy is ready for the playoffs. Spurs Miami OKC Indiana are ready for the playoffs . Each team looks sluggish they don't seem to care right now

THE MTL
03-17-2014, 11:15 AM
Alot of what Hibbert doesnt show up on the stat sheet

D-Leethal
03-17-2014, 11:56 AM
People also get way too hung up in rebounding numbers too. The guy who grabs the board is rarely ever the guy who boxes out. Teams have their strategies - Indy's clearly looks like its "rebound by committee" where Roy is asked to use his huge frame to box out, not chase boards.

Jarvo
03-17-2014, 05:42 PM
Overpaid not overrated

flea
03-17-2014, 06:21 PM
Overpaid not overrated

I don't see how you can say he's overpaid. If pretty much every other team in the NBA would give him what he makes or more then that's not overpaid in my mind.

Trwood12
03-17-2014, 09:52 PM
Maybe a little bit but his is still a great player. He's the starting center for a team that has one of the best records in the NBA. You cant ignore that.

2-ONE-5
03-17-2014, 10:23 PM
man he was pretty bad tonight. Henry Sims got the better of him a lot in the 4th. but he is overpaid for sure

MonroeFAN
03-18-2014, 04:47 AM
To the key demographic here, sure... not enough and 1 spinning windmill dunks.

To anyone who actually knows what the hell they're talking about, no. He's the best defensive center in basketball, and defense wins championships.

FreakaNashur
03-18-2014, 07:45 AM
Al jefferson> Roy Hibbert

pebloemer
03-18-2014, 08:46 AM
I think Roy is ready for the playoffs. Spurs Miami OKC Indiana are ready for the playoffs . Each team looks sluggish they don't seem to care right now

Spurs look sluggish rolling off 10 straight? If that is the case... yikes.

2-ONE-5
03-18-2014, 10:30 AM

To anyone who actually knows what the hell they're talking about, no. He's the best defensive center in basketball, and defense wins championships.

no hes not. Howard, Gasol, and Noah are better

slashsnake
03-18-2014, 01:33 PM
Maybe a little bit but his is still a great player. He's the starting center for a team that has one of the best records in the NBA. You cant ignore that.

True, but Joel Anthony has been that before. I think he's a fine defender, rated higher because of the lack of centers today. Had he been around in the 90's, he'd just be another guy.

sunsfan88
04-07-2014, 12:09 AM
Kwame Brown 2003-04: "Bust"
10.9 - 7.4 - 1.5 - 48.9% FG

Roy Hibbert 2013-14: "All-Star"
11.1 - 6.9 - 1.2 - 45.5% FG

How is Hibbert not overrated and overpaid?
Truth

therealwd27
04-07-2014, 12:50 AM
Truth

Damn tough to argue that and Kwame stats lol

goku
04-07-2014, 09:00 AM
Truth

I saw those stats and thought of most ppl on here saying he wasn't overrated and laughed

3RDASYSTEM
04-07-2014, 09:30 AM

14/12
4/7
10/5
4/6
4/6
10/6
24/12
15/5
2/4
12/3
4/4

how is a weaker lesser version of MUTOMBO overrated? oh wait we are on psd....nevermind because I recall people on here talking about they would take him over HOWARD

and I was like nobody in they right bball mind would ever make a epic fail like that, at least say NOAH or even COUSINS since he is younger and only one I would take is DAVIS over HOWARD, only because of youth not right now impact

by no means is HIBBERT overrated in my bball book, he is the same player at G'TOWN, all d and I guess he improved on offense because the media said DUNCAN worked with him this summer so I guess going from 10-11ppg to 12-13ppg is a juggernaut indeed, best in the league....what a weak era we are witnessing when talking about HIBBERT being overrated....its like me asking you guys was SABONIS underrated when he played for the blazers and had that big body to go against SHAQ and stretch him out since he could pop the 3 ball a tad bit

HIBBERT is the same exact player from day 1 until HAWKEYE/psd show off his PER to try and convince you otherwise

AddiX
04-07-2014, 09:45 AM
The way hes played since all star break definitely puts him in the category of overrated.

Seriously, what the heck happened to him this season?

Shammyguy3
04-07-2014, 09:58 AM
Roy Hibbert's perhaps the best rim protector in the league. He's miles better than Kwame Brown was on the defensive end.

85BearsDefense
04-07-2014, 10:48 AM
Those stats don't take into account how Hibbert protects the rim. He anchors a top 2 defense in the league.

KG21
04-07-2014, 10:51 AM
You people know that stats don't tell you whole story when it come to game time. Those who Set tthe assumptions on stats (Kwame) are stupid. Yes you are.

If there was last 10 sec on the clock and you ahd Hibbert under the basket who would dare to try him out? Few maybe, very few.

If it was Kwame...I think even prigioni would try to dunk on him. So before you judge so fast, pacers are playing their style and Hibbert is just playing his role.

FOBolous
04-07-2014, 11:28 AM
so who still thinks Hibbert is better than Dwight Howard?

unleashthebeast
04-07-2014, 11:42 AM
Who still thinks that Roy is even a top 10 center? He has been absolutely abysmal since the All Star Break, and no better than average the entire yeae.

RipCity32
04-07-2014, 11:44 AM
Overrated

Mr. Baller
04-07-2014, 11:47 AM
Who still thinks that Roy is even a top 10 center? He has been absolutely abysmal since the All Star Break, and no better than average the entire yeae.

Top 10???????????????????? I barely got him in my top 20!

Ebbs
04-07-2014, 11:50 AM
I saw a tweet comparing hibbert and kwame brown and kwame had the better numbers :laugh:

flea
04-07-2014, 12:00 PM
I saw a tweet comparing hibbert and kwame brown and kwame had the better numbers :laugh:

So that's where this ******** comparison comes from. Good to know our armchair analysts are regurgitating dumb tweets.

-Kobe24-TJ19-
04-07-2014, 12:02 PM
Truth

lmfao

I have always said this guy is very streaky but man oh man worse stats than kwame :laugh:

slashsnake
04-07-2014, 12:04 PM
I like what he does that doesn't show up in the stat line, but sooner or later you have to get more than 9.7 points and 4.7 boards on 41.6% shooting from your 15 mil a year big man. 1 double double in march and in his past 14 games he's had as many games with more than 5 boards (2) as he has had with none.

I am a fan of Hibbert, but he has been pretty awful this year, especially the 2nd half of the season.

goku
04-07-2014, 12:05 PM
Omer asik > hibbert

Asik has gotten more boards then hibbert in 5 games then he did all last month

goku
04-07-2014, 12:06 PM
so who still thinks Hibbert is better than Dwight Howard?

Ppl who hate Dwight

PleaseBeNice
04-07-2014, 12:18 PM
But guys, he can block some shots, so clearly he is the best.

kylem4711
04-07-2014, 12:47 PM
I give him a pass cause he's a fan of delocated and parks and recreation.

P&GRealist
04-07-2014, 01:25 PM

This post looks so bad now on soooo many levels.

sunsfan88
04-08-2014, 04:44 AM
He's literally only useful against Miami. That's it. Is it really worth paying a guy $14M to show up against one team all season? Even if it is in the playoffs, still...

jayjay33
04-08-2014, 05:19 AM
Would trade him for asik in a second. Nothing worse than a center who can't rebound a lick.

archdevil84
04-08-2014, 06:22 AM
dont worry pacers fans, when they play miami in the ECF (not saying they wil, given how they are playing right now) he wil look like a demi god against bosh

SeoulBeatz
04-08-2014, 06:23 AM
He's very overpaid and slightly overrated.

I know he's one of the better post defenders we have today, but he gets an inexcusable lack of rebounds and it's hard to defend that when he's the biggest C in the league.

He also disappears far too often during games. He just called out his teammates for being selfish yet I rarely see him calling for, let alone demanding, the ball.

Wasn't this the same guy who admitted he lost all confidence in his scoring ability at one point last season?

I just don't know with him... i guess the thing that irks me the most is he's far too soft for a man his size.

slashsnake
04-08-2014, 11:28 AM
Found a fun stat today. 6' Toronto guard Kyle Lowry played in 2 fewer games than Hibbert in March... and had more rebounds. I get his defense and his help D which is the biggest part of his game (not many post up centers to defend). But at some point to be called a great big, you have to put up the numbers.

I get the outside the numbers. But that makes him a nice player to have on a great team, kind of like a Rick Mahorn type. We are looking at a shot blocking late career Bill Cartwright lately more than the next Dikembe. And sorry not only did Dikembe rebound MUCH better, he was also, as bad as it sounds a better offensive player by far.

albertajaysfan
04-08-2014, 01:41 PM
This is how I see it.

Anyone who said Hibbert was top 3 C in the league last season was correct. He was better than Howard last year. But people need to accept the fact that it should and does change from season to season. Saying someone is the best this season doesn't make him a better overall talent forever.

Just as people who see what is right in front of them shouldn't assume that he is better in any and all circumstances.

We are seeing the same bickering regarding Durant and James this year. Does James have an overall better body of work? Yes. Is Durant having a better overall season, this year? Yes.

Now back to addressing Hibbert right now. He has definitely slipped. I never expected him to have the same numbers in the regular season he had going against Bosh, Haslem and Andersen. That is ridiculous, none of those guys are even top 10 at their position in this league. Of course he abused them.

However Hibbert has definitely regressed during this season. He was brining it at the beginning of the year. But recently has been getting abused. I have watched Jonas Valanciunas go to town on him the last two times the Raptors and Pacers have faced off. For someone to be considered a solid man to man defender a 2nd year pro shouldn't be able to outperform him to the extend Val did in those games. Especially the most recent game. Valanciunas has potential and is improving but its not like he is the second coming of Shaq or Hakeem or someone along those lines.

Plus I can't help but question his professionalism with the comments he has made to the press over the last year. If your on court impact is slipping don't go whine to the media about your teammates. Look in the mirror at yourself first. Take ownership of what you can control and let others do the same.

All of these factors are what makes this guy overrated. But he is only overrated by those that are clinging to 2013 playoff and early season Hibbert. Anyone who has been paying attention this season recognizes his impact has fallen off and rates him accordingly. On the flip side its not like he has become total trash or anything that dramatic.

SteBO
04-08-2014, 05:25 PM
Many of you should take a peak at Roy Hibbert's splits between his play against Miami and the rest of the league. For me, hilarity ensued...followed by tears.

slashsnake
04-08-2014, 05:59 PM
This is how I see it.

Anyone who said Hibbert was top 3 C in the league last season was correct. He was better than Howard last year. But people need to accept the fact that it should and does change from season to season. Saying someone is the best this season doesn't make him a better overall talent forever..

I agree that one season doesn't make a guy better forever, but I would not put Hibbert over Dwight even last year. I don't think he could have played the 35 minutes a game as a #2 option on a weak overall team in the Western Conference. I don't think he played better than Dwight, he was just part of a much better team. I guess my belief is that people get too tied up in the role players or good players on great teams. Dwight was still a much better all around player than Hibbert.

Varejao was one. He was meh. He actually has gotten a LOT better but now is forgotten since he is no longer a piece of a great team.

Both are basically guys that score close to the hoop and Dwight shot 20% better there last year. I mean Hibbert took more shots per game than Dwight and couldn't even get close in scoring. I think on a team where he would have been relied on as a #2 scorer instead of a #4 one, he would have really really struggled. Dwight was on a lot more radars and still was a much better scorer on offense. I think Dwight has the much quicker hands on defense and looked better on the boards.

It was a down year for Dwight for sure, but he set the expectation so high early in his career, I think it was fatigue of always calling him the best. I think Hibbert had an up season and people just assumed with Dwight looking to be in decline and Hibbert on the rise, that he was better now. In reality, that line hadn't yet been crossed and this year Hibbert fell back down. We saw it that year when those two played. Dwight was clearly the best center on the court.

What I will say is that Hibbert KILLED in that Heat series. He really was amazing there. But that wasn't the season. And after that rise, I really thought I'd see him improve.

Ebbs
04-08-2014, 06:13 PM
Roy Hibbert, month by month...
JAN: 11.3 PPG, 6.9 RPG, 42%
FEB: 9.8 PPG, 7.1 RPG, 46%
MAR: 9.7 PPG, 4.7 RPG, 42%
APR: 7.7 PPG, 1.7 RPG, 32%

Crackadalic
04-08-2014, 06:49 PM
Roy Hibbert, month by month...
JAN: 11.3 PPG, 6.9 RPG, 42%
FEB: 9.8 PPG, 7.1 RPG, 46%
MAR: 9.7 PPG, 4.7 RPG, 42%
APR: 7.7 PPG, 1.7 RPG, 32%

Damn I didn't think he played that bad every month smh

Shammyguy3
04-08-2014, 07:00 PM
I wonder what a coach like Popovich could get out of Hibbert. In a hypothetical world, let's say the Spurs win the title this year and Duncan retires. Would it be wise for SAS to trade Splitter for Hibbert?

Ebbs
04-08-2014, 07:04 PM
I wonder what a coach like Popovich could get out of Hibbert. In a hypothetical world, let's say the Spurs win the title this year and Duncan retires. Would it be wise for SAS to trade Splitter for Hibbert?

Indiana would have to be really be done with him to even consider a deal like that. Hibbert has had the tools for multiple years and Indiana has a good staff. I don't think the Spurs could magically make him a star,

SteBO
04-08-2014, 07:12 PM

Indiana would have to be really be done with him to even consider a deal like that. Hibbert has had the tools for multiple years and Indiana has a good staff. I don't think the Spurs could magically make him a star,
I see your point, but I have THAT much respect for Pop and I am THAT enamored with his coaching, that I think he'd get everything or damn close to everything out of him.

Shammyguy3
04-08-2014, 07:18 PM
The question is, what is everything? Vogel's a pretty good coach in his own right, perhaps Hibbert's already reached his ceiling in terms of production on the court (at least in IND's system)

NBA_Starter
04-08-2014, 09:09 PM
Overrated already reached his ceiling, maybe both.

SouthSideRookie
05-30-2014, 11:38 PM
hell yes. some people think he's the best Center in the league :laugh2: some people even rank him above Dwight Howard :laugh: to me, Roy Hibbert = Tyson Chandler

lol

Hibbert's play is leading to wins. His stats may not show it but his record does. The C's people have ranked higher then him are not any kind of force that hibbert was in the playoffs last year. Howard leads all C in turnovers. Noah also has more turnovers then Hibbert. All these C have faults not just Hibbert. He might be overrated but having him in the top of C's list only is not overrating him. My list.

Gasol
Hibbert
Cousins
Howard
Noah

Defensive anchors, more than any other position, are always more valuable then their stats suggest. He anchors the best defense in the league - thats good enough for a top 5 C in my book. Noah is clearly the best in the biz right now.

Dwight> Noah

So much for that rim protection from you boy Hibbert LMAO

Pacers were never one of the best teams in the NBA.

Here you go again, you sure do have some infatuation with one way players(Drummond&Hibbert). Quit shoving them down people's throats for once.

Would trade him for asik in a second. Nothing worse than a center who can't rebound a lick.

This is a better comparison.

Lmao at people saying to not look at the stats. Well yeah, because you'll be seeing Zero Zero quite a bit. This guy is trash.

IDunknown
05-30-2014, 11:46 PM

Popovich said when Duncan retires he will too.