PDA

View Full Version : has LeBron surpassed Magic and Durant surpassed Bird?

FOBolous
03-05-2014, 06:36 PM
What do y'all think? I personally think LeBron and Durant are today's Magic and Bird.

Swashcuff
03-05-2014, 06:51 PM
No and No. They may very well be today's Magic and Bird though.

Ebbs
03-05-2014, 06:51 PM
Lol.

Well LeBron is in the conversation. Durant isn't close.

b@llhog24
03-05-2014, 06:53 PM
As players in terms of peak? Yes. For their careers? Lol **** no.

ManRam
03-05-2014, 06:57 PM
Legacy-wise? Of course not.

Both have proven to be better players in their primes thus far, however. Their best seasons have been better than Magic and Bird's. And I don't think that's close. LeBron just has to sustain it a little longer. Durant obviously has to start racking up the accolades. But neither should have a problem toppling both legacy-wise, barring serious injuries.

These LBJ/KD threads about their greatness are getting redundant tho. In the OP he says he thinks they're today's Magic/Bird. There's that exact thread. And in there it's pretty much consensus that these two are having better seasons than those two ever had at the same time.They're Magic and Bird this year, but better.

Hawkeye15
03-05-2014, 06:58 PM

this

abe_froman
03-05-2014, 07:00 PM
lol no

i get they are the two biggest things in the league right now ,but the overreaction/overrating to flavors of the moment needs to stop. lebron is up there,but with kd at least wait until he wins something before starting this **** .wonder what this board would have been like 10 years ago,vc and ai=better than mj and thomas

could kd become the next bird? sure,but he could also just be the next adrian dantley(he to scored 30ppg at absurd 60+ ts).

just wait for him to develop more of a legacy before we start throwing out names lke bird,mj,magic,ect. around

SteveNash
03-05-2014, 07:05 PM
Yes and Yes.

LeBron is so far ahead of Magic it's an insult to him.

Larry Bird was never that good, just had a stacked team and he was white.

Ebbs
03-05-2014, 07:09 PM
this

More like today's Magic and Jordan.

LeBron and Wade/Melo should've been today's Magic and Bird.

Kobes a Killer
03-05-2014, 07:17 PM
Yes and Yes.

Lol good one... That is to say i'm pretty sure youre joking, but you never know this is PSD we're talking about here.

SPURSFAN1
03-05-2014, 07:24 PM
in before the lock.

NFLNBA
03-05-2014, 07:24 PM
LMAO What a joke! They both are not close. Are they today's version in this watered down vagina league, yes. Top 2 players in NBA today no doubt

IKnowHoops
03-05-2014, 07:27 PM
Yes and Yes.

LOL, I agree with this. Obviously not in legacy, but as far as being better and more productive. I think Bron and KD vs Bird and Magic 2 on 2 or 5 on 5 with all things being equal around them...Bron and KD would mollywhop.

IKnowHoops
03-05-2014, 07:31 PM
Ive heard a lot of NBA players Clyde, Oscar, Bird, Pippen say that you can't put anyone ahead of Lebron. I think the majority of NBA players that played with or against Mike think Lebron is better. Its just the fans that keep saying no way. The actual athletes that play in the league have a lot more understanding of what it takes to do certain things in the NBA. Fans are a bunch of haters and homers.

lol, please
03-05-2014, 07:33 PM
What do y'all think? I personally think LeBron and Durant are today's Magic and Bird.

Neither current player will surpass either former, not even close as it stands, and not likely when it's all said and done. LOL. fobulous further proving my point on how underrated Bird is on PSD.

Swashcuff
03-05-2014, 07:46 PM
Neither current player will surpass either former, not even close as it stands, and not likely when it's all said and done. LOL. fobulous further proving my point on how underrated Bird is on PSD.

Could you give us a brief breakdown as to why neither Bron nor KD can surpass Magic or Durant?

Bartlee23
03-05-2014, 07:55 PM

How do you figure? Magic and Bird played each other in college then the NBA and every time they played each other wanted to beat each other so bad. They looked forward to playing each other because both were competitive and wanted to play against the best.

Lebron didn't even go to college and to be honest as great as he is, has little to none as far as a competitive nature goes. He was gifted with incredible talent but doesn't always seem like he's giving a full effort. Durant is an amazing player as well. I don't see them having the same type of battles as Magic and Bird had. Those are legendary.

Magic and Bird brought a whole new audience to the NBA and got people really excited about watching the games again after the NBA had kind of gone down in viewing. I don't see Lebron and Durant doing that but that's just my opinion.

sammyvine
03-05-2014, 08:04 PM
Ive heard a lot of NBA players Clyde, Oscar, Bird, Pippen say that you can't put anyone ahead of Lebron. I think the majority of NBA players that played with or against Mike think Lebron is better. Its just the fans that keep saying no way. The actual athletes that play in the league have a lot more understanding of what it takes to do certain things in the NBA. Fans are a bunch of haters and homers.
I won't take what former NBA players say seriously. A lot of them hate jordan for the fact that he he beat them and he's well jordan,

Mark Jackson said Kobe may be the GOAT. So basically they say whatever tbh.

Swashcuff
03-05-2014, 08:10 PM
How do you figure? Magic and Bird played each other in college then the NBA and every time they played each other wanted to beat each other so bad. They looked forward to playing each other because both were competitive and wanted to play against the best.

Lebron didn't even go to college and to be honest as great as he is, has little to none as far as a competitive nature goes. He was gifted with incredible talent but doesn't always seem like he's giving a full effort. Durant is an amazing player as well. I don't see them having the same type of battles as Magic and Bird had. Those are legendary.

Magic and Bird brought a whole new audience to the NBA and got people really excited about watching the games again after the NBA had kind of gone down in viewing. I don't see Lebron and Durant doing that but that's just my opinion.

Well many said that the new Magic/Bird was LeBron/Melo but that quickly changed.

Say what you want about LeBron but he absolutely wants to win he needs to win he's extremely hungry to win and wants to beat KD every time they play just look at the way they play one another in the playoffs, regular season and ASG.

The reason there is a comparison is because they are the two best players in the league on the two best teams in their respective conferences they are around the same size and as players compare very nicely in a variety of ways to Magic and Bird.

IKnowHoops
03-05-2014, 08:11 PM
I won't take what former NBA players say seriously. A lot of them hate jordan for the fact that he he beat them and he's well jordan,

I still take former NBA players more seriously than a bunch of haters and homers. Pippen loves MJ and he said it. He recanted because he forgot he had to answer to MJ the next day but it was honesty. Now on the other hand I could listen to guys like Jordans bulls, illusionist, or jerell. Pretty easy decision.

IKnowHoops
03-05-2014, 08:14 PM

And these same NBA players all said Jordan was the best before Bron so, they have credibility. And none of the guys I am talking about ever said Kobe, Shaq or Duncan was better than MJ so its not like they have shown not to keep it real when if they really hated Jordan, they could of said Kobe, Shaq, or Duncan was better.

L8kers4life
03-05-2014, 09:23 PM
And these same NBA players all said Jordan was the best before Bron so, they have credibility. And none of the guys I am talking about ever said Kobe, Shaq or Duncan was better than MJ so its not like they have shown not to keep it real when if they really hated Jordan, they could of said Kobe, Shaq, or Duncan was better.

No, but Larry Bird and Michael Jordan said they would take Kobe over Lebron, in fact there was a thread about it a few days ago. The fact that Lebron signed as a free agent with the most stacked team in the league and still lost once and almost lost another means Lebron is nowhere near Michael and Magic for his career, Lebron is 2 and 2 in the finals and could have been 1-3 in the finals had ray allen not saved their butts, so ease up a bit, it is major disrespect to the greats of the past.

eibbor
03-05-2014, 09:42 PM
Yes and Yes.

Rollin and trollin lol

eibbor
03-05-2014, 09:47 PM
Yes and Yes.

I couldn't imagine being legally ********. Enjoy your mustard sammich.

Hellcrooner
03-05-2014, 09:48 PM
23 teams vs 30 teams

means 7 of todays " franchise players" would be second bananas in magic/bird era
means 14 second bananas of today would be third bananas in their era
means 28 third bananas of today would be fourth bananas back then
means 56 starters today would be back ups back then.

yeah.
sure.
they are better than magic and bird

:rolleyes:

Hellcrooner
03-05-2014, 09:49 PM
the damm first 80s bucks /sixers /rockets and mid -late 80s Nuggets / mavs / ealry bulls / blazers/suns would wipe their ***** in a 7 game series vs okc and heat.

eibbor
03-05-2014, 09:51 PM
Lebron might pass Magic, he might not but he absolutely hasn't, without question.

KD might pass Bird, maybe not, but so far he hasn't. Stats are great but you gotta make it happen.

Bird and Jordan might have said they would take Kobe over Lebron, but that means absolutely nothing. They didn't play against them. They watch them just like we do. That means nothing, at all.

We should just all enjoy seeing Lebron and KD and see how their careers play out. It's that simple.

Sactown
03-05-2014, 10:01 PM
23 teams vs 30 teams

means 7 of todays " franchise players" would be second bananas in magic/bird era

yeah.
sure.

more people on the planet , sport was way less popular in the 80s so less people played, European talent didn't come over till mid late 90s.... Conclusion more talent available today than in the 80s so your argument is false

Jeffy25
03-05-2014, 10:20 PM
Peaks? Sure

Career/Legacy? Absolutely not

Wish they had a Jordan to play with too though.

Both have a fair shot at catching each

Jeffy25
03-05-2014, 10:22 PM
23 teams vs 30 teams

yeah.
sure.

And today there is more progress, better player, European players, more kids trying to make it, etc.

Era progression goes both ways.

mjm07
03-05-2014, 10:35 PM

This. Lebron, in particular, not yet at least.

mjm07
03-05-2014, 10:40 PM
No, but Larry Bird and Michael Jordan said they would take Kobe over Lebron, in fact there was a thread about it a few days ago. The fact that Lebron signed as a free agent with the most stacked team in the league and still lost once and almost lost another means Lebron is nowhere near Michael and Magic for his career, Lebron is 2 and 2 in the finals and could have been 1-3 in the finals had ray allen not saved their butts, so ease up a bit, it is major disrespect to the greats of the past.

Talk about major exaggeration.

ogxypoh
03-05-2014, 10:42 PM
does anyone know where this dunk is from https://encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQ05Su9SPhYzXumSo9K4Wryjz1BHIcBW 8q5OA38WLc0Kh6eEyA7jg

Kashmir13579
03-05-2014, 10:52 PM
No, on both counts.

eibbor
03-05-2014, 11:06 PM
does anyone know where this dunk is from https://encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQ05Su9SPhYzXumSo9K4Wryjz1BHIcBW 8q5OA38WLc0Kh6eEyA7jg

The very far past lol

FOBolous
03-06-2014, 01:38 AM

back when Kobe was actually good.

DreamShaker
03-06-2014, 03:45 AM
Career wise? Not close. Durant needs to win some MVP's and titles. Lebron vs. Magic is closer, but 5 rings vs. 2 in a weak era doesn't match up.

-Kobe24-TJ19-
03-06-2014, 03:47 AM
my god, no and no

numba1CHANGsta
03-06-2014, 04:05 AM
These two are nowhere near Magic/Bird especially rivalry wise.

BULLSFAN0810
03-06-2014, 09:50 AM
no...... its just dudes now are younger, and have a lack of basketball iq due to how badly the game is being played and the reffing/rules.

lbj and durrant need to go 20 years almost to match bird/magic. that rivalry started in college and had multiple ship between them and a sportsman competition at the root.

BULLSFAN0810
03-06-2014, 09:52 AM

PERFECT..LBJ lost to DALLAS!!!! DALLAS!!! AND ALMOST LOST TO AN OLD SPURS TEAM...ON A STACKED TEAM

Snapshot
03-06-2014, 10:41 AM
When its all said and done both will be better, and I even wanna say LB has already surpassed Bird, I would say Magic as well but i'll get the "Magic has 5 rings " argument...and since Bird only has one more than LB (might be tied after this season, def will be tied or surpassed b4 LB retires) there is really nothing in Bird's favor to say he is/was better, all the stats indicate LB is better, hands down, and I know how PSD loves 'stats'...Bird didn't sniff LB's 'PER'.

ziglur
03-06-2014, 10:57 AM
Yes and Yes.

Bird and Magic played when players could breath on each other without getting ejected. These sissys couldnt hold up playing like they did back then. Lebron and and Kobe both have Bird as a top 5 player that has ever played. They know how good he was. Magic could have padded his stats like James does but he was a team player. The leagues are so weak now thats why 2 good players can win the championship. It took 5 good players back then. No defenders now and they couldnt touch anyone if they wanted too. If you play the video which Lebron got his nose broke you will notice he took 4 steps. Carried the ball all the way through the lane. If he had to put the ball on the floor like everyone else he would have lost the ball. Offense gets the advantage now. Thats why these guys look so good. Defense doesnt draw crowds and its all about money.

looka09
03-06-2014, 12:16 PM
Lebron is already better than Bird imo

Chronz
03-06-2014, 12:26 PM
Bird and Magic played when players could breath on each other without getting ejected. These sissys couldnt hold up playing like they did back then. Lebron and and Kobe both have Bird as a top 5 player that has ever played. They know how good he was. Magic could have padded his stats like James does but he was a team player. The leagues are so weak now thats why 2 good players can win the championship. It took 5 good players back then. No defenders now and they couldnt touch anyone if they wanted too. If you play the video which Lebron got his nose broke you will notice he took 4 steps. Carried the ball all the way through the lane. If he had to put the ball on the floor like everyone else he would have lost the ball. Offense gets the advantage now. Thats why these guys look so good. Defense doesnt draw crowds and its all about money.

They also played in an era where defenders couldn't position themselves freely, they couldn't double off the ball and had to play against inferior athletes in an era where fastbreak basketball was more prevalent, as opposed to the half court grinds of today. Lets stop pretending they were drastically different in terms of difficulty.

3RDASYSTEM
03-06-2014, 02:12 PM

But there goes the other side I have been trying to tell these JORDAN over zealous nut hug slurpers of his, JORDAN avg 28ppg rookie year so he was legit, JORDAN told PIPP and his other mates that he will be getting his shots and points every game, before JORDAN took over the mediahype world he had legit game and was one of the best but so was DREXLER and ZEKE and others who owned him before stern came in and took over for JORDAN to make sure he couldn't get touched, and even if he didn't get touched call a foul anyway, that's why the players are truly mad, because they know what happens behind the scenes while we just sit here and ramble about much of nothing

why do you think ZEKE and the bad boys walked off the court and not shake JORDAN's hand after owning him 3 straight yrs then being swept out after softening up for JORDAN and his marketing abilities, to go along with his game on hardwood

you never take athletes word when on live reality tv, but behind the scenes they will tell you straight

ztilzer31
03-08-2014, 11:33 AM

You've been avoiding me. Lakers are almost officially eliminated from the playoffs. Please be a man and recognize your part of the bet.