PDA

View Full Version : Coaches preventing records, earnng wins and preventing injuries.

JasonJohnHorn
03-05-2014, 10:37 AM
Last night there were three GREAT lines. Each of them could have been historic.

Westbrook, in less than 21 minutes, recorded a triple-double. He was on pace to be the first player since Wilt to record a 20x20x20 game, or one of only a handful of players to post 15x15x15. Given his recent injury and ah huge lead, Brooks wisely decided to limit Westy's numbers.

Kevin Durant, in a race for the MVP with LBJ, had 42 points in 3 quarters, but did not touch the floor in the 4th as the Thunder cruised to a victory over the 76ers.

and Kawhi Leonard was on pace to post a 5x5 games, which usually only happens once ever 5-10 years. Pop pulled him out early with the game already won.

This has happened before as well. Phil Jackson, during Kobe's 'stat-padding season' pulled Kobe out of some high scoring games. Against the Mavericks, Kobe posted what was, at the time, a season-high in 3 quarters. Jackson did not let him play in the 4th, though Kobe was on pace for the second highest point total ever (which he would get later in the season).

We have seen in the past that leaving players in to to pad stats when the game is in tow, might get headlines the next day, but it can lead to injuries. What is now know as being Rosed, or Derrick-Rosed, after Rose was left in a came that had already been pretty much decided with the hopes of getting him a triple-double. Instead of a 3D game, Rose missed the post-season and the follow season in its entirety due to injury.

As a fan of the game, part of me is bummed to see Westy out after 20 minutes,and KD not get 4th quarter minutes, of Kawhi miss out, but on the other hand I recognize that coaches must protect their players and get minutes on the floor for their bench so that these guys get experience and can be comfortable when their minutes come up on the post season.

Part of me is bummed that we don't get to see where these performances could have gone, but at the same time I respect when coaches pull their guys out early if the game has already been decided.

What are your thoughts. Should coaches leave the guys in and give the fans what they want? Or should the pull their best players out early once the game has been decided?

Swashcuff
03-05-2014, 10:48 AM
Accord to Elias its been almost 60 years since a player got a triple double in such few minutes.

todu82
03-05-2014, 11:07 AM
I agree with coaches doing this. Who cares about setting records if it's causing wear and tear on your star players? Records won't matter much if your team suffers a big injury and you're out early come playoff time.

BALLER R
03-05-2014, 11:52 AM
Leaving players in is a big way to start rivalries. You leave them in the game they might set a record but when that other team ends up losing by 60 or 70 points you better guarantee their will be some bad blood. And yes it is possible to lose by that much.

KnicksorBust
03-05-2014, 11:58 AM
If you are a team like the Heat-Thunder-Spurs-etc then you are in championship mode. Anything that can reduce the changes of winning a championship should not be done. This is why you must pull your star players in blowouts.

If you are a team like the Wolves-Knicks-Sixers. Let Kevin Love go for a 50-25 game. Let Carmelo go for 70 points. Let Michael Carter-Williams go for a quadruple double.

Hellcrooner
03-05-2014, 01:01 PM
wise players themselves dont go for records when the game is won and they are contending.

Clippersfan86
03-05-2014, 01:18 PM
It really is a tricky subject. There have been a lot of times where Clippers players got pulled after 3 quarters in a blowout and I was a bit annoyed. For one the game gets boring and not even worth watching most times when you throw scrubs in during a blowout. Secondly it's fun to watch the big individual games for all of us as fans, so preventing them from being more dominant sucks. Then again it's bad sportsmanship to run a score up to 60-70 AND you risk injury to a star player, prices that are never worth paying at the end of the day.