5. Gary Payton: influenced guard defense as precursor to team defense

koreancabbage
03-03-2014, 01:47 PM
Jordan
Shaq
Kobe
Iverson
Kareem

but thats who people wanted to be on the court when people played basketball.
AI's crossover
Kobe's moves/'overrated' clutch moves/handles
Jordan's everything, but I guess Kobe and Jordan's moves go together because they are very similar.
Shaq's personality
Kareem's skyhook

TheNumber37
03-03-2014, 01:55 PM
1. Jordan - Made the NBA a global Brand. Period.
2. Dr. Jay - Transformed the game with high flying acts that would inspire generations.
3. Allen Iverson - Crossover, cornrow, tattoos, one arm sleeve, he's responsible for the dress code and redefining the guard guard position in the post MJ era
4. Magic/Larry - I'll put these guys together, because their rivalry pushed the NBA through the 80s and established Boston and LA as teams to beat for years to come
5. Shaq - Set the mold for how to live the BIG NBA lifestyle on/of court. Who said Big guys aren't marketable?

nickdymez
03-03-2014, 01:58 PM
Jordan
Shaq
Magic/Bird
Iverson
Dirk

TheNumber37
03-03-2014, 01:59 PM
This a nice thread, but needs clarification...

Top 5 to influence other players, the game itself, the world, the fans of the game...
I took it to mean an overall influence, how much that 1 person brought to every aspect of the game...

So to me, Kareem' sky hook wouldn't count, seeing as how no one does it or rock the goggles... Ginoboli has the same hair stylist though.

I agree Wade helped popularize the combo guard trend, but to me, it' really an offshoot of Iverson (as Wade is just a bigger version of AI)

tredigs
03-03-2014, 02:08 PM
1. Jordan
2 + 3: Wilt + Russell
4 + 5: Magic & Larry

Really tough to choose just 5, but those players and/or the rivalries of those players IMO shaped the game the most to where we're at today. But, a good debate could be had in here if people leave emotions aside and bring up solid arguments for West/Mikan/Dr. J/Shaq/AI, etc. Or how about arguments for Drazen Petrovic, Hakeem, Ming, Sabonis, etc for helping to bring the game the massive global popularity it now has.

HYFR
03-03-2014, 02:47 PM
This a nice thread, but needs clarification...

Top 5 to influence other players, the game itself, the world, the fans of the game...
I took it to mean an overall influence, how much that 1 person brought to every aspect of the game...

So to me, Kareem' sky hook wouldn't count, seeing as how no one does it or rock the goggles... Ginoboli has the same hair stylist though.

I agree Wade helped popularize the combo guard trend, but to me, it' really an offshoot of Iverson (as Wade is just a bigger version of AI)

I meant overall influence.

In no particular order

Mj
Dr j
Kobe
Magic/bird

Goose17
03-03-2014, 03:16 PM
Not sure about overall.

Top 5 influences to me personally (in no particular order);

- Michael Jordan
- Tim Duncan
- Allen Iverson
- Shaquille O'Neal
- Steve Nash

(Honorable mention; Tony Parker and Tim Hardaway)

beyourself
03-03-2014, 03:22 PM
I'm just going off of game and personality. I can think of 4 that really influenced the game and the NBA.

Jordan- Everybody wanted to dunk and screw passing, I'm shooting this ball

Iverson- Similar to Jordan except little guys now think they can shoot 25 times a game. Missing shots is now acceptable.

Dirk- 7 footers now do not have to post up or play much defense

Shaq- Big men are marketable now. Gives big men an excuse to not learn their craft and just rely on their physical skillset.

TheMightyHumph
03-03-2014, 03:26 PM
Wilt
Russell
West
Julius
Magic

KnicksorBust
03-03-2014, 03:38 PM
That's a tough one. Influential to me needs to include Magic+Bird, Jordan, and Dr. J. All four of them were incredibly popular in their time period, brought fans to the game, and changed the way the game was played.

Since I have an extra spot for the 5th influential... I'll go with Bill Russell. It's basically my Mount Rushmore but with Dr. J.

Walt
03-03-2014, 03:46 PM
Jordan
Magic
Bird
Dirk
Kobe

jerellh528
03-03-2014, 03:52 PM
I took this as if aliens landed on earth knowing nothing about basketball but needed to know everything about the soul, technique, skill, appeal and competitiveness of basketball, just watch footage of these guys play and it will let you know whatever you need to about the game.

Russell
West
Jordan
Bird
Magic

MrfadeawayJB
03-03-2014, 03:53 PM
I think people are sleeping on Yao Ming big time

alexander_37
03-03-2014, 03:54 PM
1. Jordan: Influenced a lot of ISO guards play - Kobe, Tmac etc
2. Dirk Nowitski: Reinvented pf role - Chris Bosh, Aldridge
3. Dwayne Wade: reinvented the guard position - Rose, Westbrook
4. Hakeem: Hybrid C/PF - Duncan, Bosh, Aldridge etc
5. Gary Payton: influenced guard defense as precursor to team defense

No...

Jordan
Mikan
Magic/Bird
Dr. J
Yao for the international aspect probably.

dAngelo
03-03-2014, 03:55 PM
Jordan - Everybody wants to be like Mike
Iverson - Shoot first mentality without regards to efficiency
Dr J - Play above the rim
Rodman - Specializing in some areas of the game pays
Larry/Magic

MrfadeawayJB
03-03-2014, 03:55 PM
I'll go in no particular order

Jordan
Magic
Yao Ming
Pistol Pete Maravich
Bill Russell

Notables

Hakeem
Kareem
Rodman
Payton

Minimal
03-03-2014, 03:56 PM
Surprised noone mentioned LeBron who basically established Point Forward position to the NBA and I believe a lot of current (Durant, George) and future players will try to become "point forwards", inspired by his playing style.

jerellh528
03-03-2014, 03:57 PM
Surprised noone mentioned LeBron who basically established Point Forward position to the NBA and I believe a lot of current (Durant, George) and future players will try to become "point forwards", inspired by his playing style.

Damn I was about to post inb4 heat fans mention lbj but I was too late.

whyumadbro!
03-03-2014, 04:08 PM

Magic did that, even Hedo Turkoglu did it...just that they're not as big, effective and athletic as Lebron.

beyourself
03-03-2014, 04:10 PM

LeBron is the best facilitator in the league. He plays forward. He'd rather be a scorer though. Just look at his early years in Cleveland he tried so hard to be Jordan and shot 23 times a game.

Dade County
03-03-2014, 04:31 PM
Bill Russell (breaking barriers)

Wilt Chamberlain: (A player that was supposed to be born in this generation, but playing bak then... Everyone from that era was totally helpless against him)

Doctor J: (He took basketball star icon to another lever, in his era)

Magic, Bird & Stern: (They carried B ball in the 80's... They saved it... They made it popular.

Jordan: Thee Global Icon in sports

tredigs
03-03-2014, 04:35 PM
LeBron is the best facilitator in the league. He plays forward. He'd rather be a scorer though. Just look at his early years in Cleveland he tried so hard to be Jordan and shot 23 times a game.

What are you basing that on? You truly think he's a better playmaker than Nash was until this season? Rondo? Cp3, etc?

Anyway, to call someone in the prime of their career the most influential on anything as far as the games history is concerned is a bit ridiculous. If it's because he's a passing forward who can rebound and score, I present Larry Bird.

COOLbeans
03-03-2014, 04:39 PM
1. Jordan - Made the NBA a global Brand. Period.
2. Dr. Jay - Transformed the game with high flying acts that would inspire generations.
3. Allen Iverson - Crossover, cornrow, tattoos, one arm sleeve, he's responsible for the dress code and redefining the guard guard position in the post MJ era
4. Magic/Larry - I'll put these guys together, because their rivalry pushed the NBA through the 80s and established Boston and LA as teams to beat for years to come
5. Shaq - Set the mold for how to live the BIG NBA lifestyle on/of court. Who said Big guys aren't marketable?

Jordan
Shaq
Magic/Bird
Iverson
Dirk

yeah I think you gotta add Dirk to this list. Best stretch 4 ever.. but the obvious transcendent players are,

Jordan
Magic/Bird (ill add them as one item for giggles, but they were clearly both awesome independently influential)
Iverson
Shaq
Dr. J
and
Dirk

tredigs
03-03-2014, 04:41 PM
For those claiming Dirk, are you claiming him because of his influence on mastering the stretch 4... or more so on his influence as a German? The stretch 4 is definitely the norm in the modern NBA, so considering he's in year 16 it could be fair to say his dominance there has had a strong influence on that.

COOLbeans
03-03-2014, 04:43 PM
Jerry West, the Logo should be mentioned as well.

As an executive and a player, he only has very few rivals..

COOLbeans
03-03-2014, 04:47 PM
For those claiming Dirk, are you claiming him because of his influence on mastering the stretch 4... or more so on his influence as a German? The stretch 4 is definitely the norm in the modern NBA, so considering he's in year 16 it could be fair to say his dominance there has had a strong influence on that.

his stretch 4 abilities changed the game in terms of defense and the idea of what could be accomplished on the court as a 7 footer. and he changed the Forward position forever, which impacted the guard position.

the fact that hes white, German and only played for 1 franchise is just icing for me

abe_froman
03-03-2014, 04:47 PM
scottie pippen,turkoglu,tmac and grant hill say hi

lebron is a great passer,but the point forward became established before he even entered the league

COOLbeans
03-03-2014, 04:48 PM
Yao Ming was huge for basketball, definitely top 10

COOLbeans
03-03-2014, 04:49 PM
scottie pippen,turkoglu,tmac and grant hill say hi

lebron is a great passer,but the point forward became established before he even entered the league

and others..

yeah I think he forgot about those guys. how much you want to bet, minimal is 25 or younger? not his fault, he probably didn't see those guys in depth

asandhu23
03-03-2014, 07:50 PM
Honestly...

Mikan - First big man, Mikan drills (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mikan_Drill )
Russell - Defense like never before.
Erving - High flying acrobats like never before. Made the game much more above the rim.
West- Prototype combo guard
Cousy - Prototype Point guard with crazy ball handling skills.

asandhu23
03-03-2014, 07:52 PM

False. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Point_forward

asandhu23
03-03-2014, 07:54 PM
You can actually add Oscar Robertson to the list as well. Do it all point guard.

kdspurman
03-03-2014, 07:58 PM

Magic did that, even Hedo Turkoglu did it...just that they're not as big, effective and athletic as Lebron.

Even Grant Hill did this a lot during his good days. Lebron definitely didn't establish that. He's very good at it now. But others did it before him.

bbcmillionaire
03-03-2014, 07:58 PM
Dr jay
Magic
Jordan
Shaq
Iverson

The nba usually follows the best player tendencies. Like the 90s was tough and gritty like jordan. The 00's was flashy and scoring like iverson/Kobe/tmac/carter. And I hate to say it now the nba is flop happy because the best player in the league does it.

sammyvine
03-03-2014, 08:02 PM
Jordan is a clear cut number 1

You have heard Lebron say he idolised him, Kobe basically copies him, Iversen said yesterday that he wanted to be like Mike.

He really did influence so many players its unbelievable.

aLau10
03-03-2014, 08:09 PM
Jordan - Must I say more?

Shaq - Most dominant big man in the post to ever play the game, a transformation of the game in that sense. During that era, many teams, or rather the league ran by the standard of post dominance. Shaq really represented that well and influence the game in that way.

Magic/Bird - These two are household names, their rivalry will live on forever. They embark the franchise they respectively played for.

Iverson - Introduced the game to a new style of shot guards. Short, quick, nice deadly crossovers, scoring first... All these are attributes seen in many of the guards today, all influenced be AI.

Dirk - Doesn't necessarily hold the thickest book of history, but he is the prototypical stretch 4. Really marks the different culture of basketball in the East, and give the common perception of Euro = Shooting Big Man. In today's league we see more than enough teams with stretch 4s, or atleast players with that arsenal in their game. An influence by the German, Dirk.

treglip
03-03-2014, 08:16 PM
jordan
iverson
shaq
russell
magic

Kaner
03-03-2014, 08:48 PM
Jordan
Yao
Iverson
Magic
Bird

jaydubb
03-03-2014, 09:48 PM
Dirk: First big that could successfully stretch the floor with his shooting ability, now there are several bigs that shoot.

Michael Jordan: everyone wanna be like mike

Spudd Webb: midgets can play in the NBA too

Pete maravich: influenced magic to do his thang

Magic Johnson: made passing the ball fun and attractive

Reggie miller: everybody tries to make their shot THAT sexy..

alexander_37
03-03-2014, 09:55 PM
Jordan - Must I say more?

Shaq - Most dominant big man in the post to ever play the game, a transformation of the game in that sense. During that era, many teams, or rather the league ran by the standard of post dominance. Shaq really represented that well and influence the game in that way.

Magic/Bird - These two are household names, their rivalry will live on forever. They embark the franchise they respectively played for.

Iverson - Introduced the game to a new style of shot guards. Short, quick, nice deadly crossovers, scoring first... All these are attributes seen in many of the guards today, all influenced be AI.

Dirk - Doesn't necessarily hold the thickest book of history, but he is the prototypical stretch 4. Really marks the different culture of basketball in the East, and give the common perception of Euro = Shooting Big Man. In today's league we see more than enough teams with stretch 4s, or atleast players with that arsenal in their game. An influence by the German, Dirk.

No

THE MTL
03-03-2014, 10:09 PM
1. Michael Jordan- everyone wanted to be like him and he created the "NBA Superstar". Stars of the NBA are bigger than stars of other sports and thats because he laid the foundation.

2. Allen Iverson- his resume doesnt add up to the other greats but he got an entire generation to wear "cornrows", "oversized basketball jerseys", "shooting sleeves", and consistently had the best selling jersey of his era. He brought the crossover to the game of basketball.

3. Shaq
4. Dr J
5. Magic/Bird

Honorable mention- Lebron James. When its all said and done, Lebron will def be on the top 5. How many kids on the court yell "Lebron" when they make a power drive to the basket? His jersey is already top 4 best selling all time.

Meaze_Gibson
03-03-2014, 10:18 PM
Most Influential
1. Jordan- had everybody looking for 6'6 athletes, plus influenced all players after, fadeaway, finishing
2. Magic- when you think of pass even lil kids know magic johnson
3. Iverson- cross, tats, combo guard
4. Lebron- aau era, made it cool to team up to get a title, redefined sf position
5. Hakeem/Robinson- versatile big men, who could defend, board,post, pass, shoot, dribble, (webber, kg, sheed)

honorable mention
6.Kevin Mchale- post moves and drills
7.Kemp- Athletic big who could dunk powerfully (mcdyess, blake, howard etc)

tredigs
03-03-2014, 10:24 PM
1. Michael Jordan- everyone wanted to be like him and he created the "NBA Superstar". Stars of the NBA are bigger than stars of other sports and thats because he laid the foundation.

2. Allen Iverson- his resume doesnt add up to the other greats but he got an entire generation to wear "cornrows", "oversized basketball jerseys", "shooting sleeves", and consistently had the best selling jersey of his era. He brought the crossover to the game of basketball.

3. Shaq
4. Dr J
5. Magic/Bird

Honorable mention- Lebron James. When its all said and done, Lebron will def be on the top 5. How many kids on the court yell "Lebron" when they make a power drive to the basket? His jersey is already top 4 best selling all time.

Hahah, do teenagers now actually think this?

Jamiecballer
03-03-2014, 10:29 PM
Jordan
Iverson
Garnett

can't really speak to players that are well before my time though.

bagwell368
03-03-2014, 10:33 PM

Bird beat him by years... and was a better passer than LBJ

Havlicek before him...

jaydubb
03-03-2014, 10:34 PM

3. Shaq
4. Dr J
5. Magic/Bird

Yea he didn't "bring it to the game of basketball" like he said, but he definitely made it look good..

bagwell368
03-03-2014, 10:37 PM
Honestly...

Mikan - First big man, Mikan drills (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mikan_Drill )
Russell - Defense like never before.
Erving - High flying acrobats like never before. Made the game much more above the rim.
West- Prototype combo guard
Cousy - Prototype Point guard with crazy ball handling skills.

Solid list, but Baylor was doing a lot of the Dr. J stuff - but most of his career wasn't on TV.

bagwell368
03-03-2014, 10:39 PM

PG? Not sure about that. Also I notice most of the items you list have nothing to do with actually playing the game. There is something wrong about that.

PhillyFaninLA
03-03-2014, 10:40 PM
Jordan, Wilt, Kareem - all three lead to rule changes because of there dominance

Magic - could play and dominate all 5 positions was could be the best in the league or one of the best at each position

Dr. J - basketball was between eras (and his ABA career as well) may have saved the NBA and got it to Magic and Bird

lol, please
03-03-2014, 10:42 PM
Who you got?

Go!in no particular order: Jordan, West, Magic, Wilt, Shaq.

/thread

Jamiecballer
03-03-2014, 10:51 PM
what influence did Shaq have? it's not like there are others who could do what he did.

Kaner
03-03-2014, 10:59 PM
Surprised by the lack of Yao on peoples list. The guy is almost single handedly responsible for at least several hundred million extra basketball fans probably closer to a billion. If that's not influence idk what is.

todu82
03-04-2014, 01:09 AM
Jordan
Magic
Shaq
Kareem
Wilt

tredigs
03-04-2014, 02:40 AM
Yea he didn't "bring it to the game of basketball" like he said, but he definitely made it look good..

It already looked good: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V0HRPIu02Xo

mrblisterdundee
03-04-2014, 02:43 AM
1. Michael Jordan
2. Kobe Bryant
3. Magic Johnson
4. Larry Bird
5. Wilt Chamberlain

Chamberlain narrowly beats out Shaquille O'Neal.

tredigs
03-04-2014, 02:46 AM
What's Kobe's argument? I can't see a case for him in the top 10 as far as the games history goes. Definitely not #2.

abe_froman
03-04-2014, 03:03 AM
no order
ai-popularized arm sleeves,headbands as nba style,and his streetball style helped popularize the whole streetball/and1 craze that swept through a generation of players(for good or bad)
baylor/david thompson/dr.j-all interchangeable for the same reason,every generation gets inspired by some high flier that above the rim is cool
mj-first real globalized nba star,the guy marketed around the world to take the game out of a national sport to an internationalized market
mikan-the first nba star
magic/bird-linked together forever,cant have one without the other.saved the league during a very big down time in its history and brought it to new heights

Jarvo
03-04-2014, 03:47 AM
Jordan
Iverson
Magic
Dr. J
Wilt/ Russell

DreamShaker
03-04-2014, 04:50 AM
Mikan- NBA's first star.
Wilt/Russell- One destroyed every record there was, one won every championship there was minus 2.
Dr. J- Brought style and flair to basketball.
Bird/Magic- Saved basketball and won back the casual fans.
MJ- Obvious.

Kushed
03-04-2014, 05:27 AM
these are some pretty god awful lists

Heediot
03-04-2014, 07:40 AM
Jordan
Magic-Bird (they were the catalyst for the nba growth)
KG (A lot of newer generation bigs want to play the point forward)
Iverson-Kobe (created a newer generation of iso players)
LeBron (Ultra talented, and villified in the mass media age)

PurpleLynch
03-04-2014, 11:14 AM
It's really hard to do a top 5 like this. In no particular order:Jordan,West,Wilt,Dr J,Magic.But like I said it's really hard,I'd like to have also a spot for players like Hakeem,Bird,Shaq,Iverson and the list goes on.

asandhu23
03-04-2014, 12:05 PM
Solid list, but Baylor was doing a lot of the Dr. J stuff - but most of his career wasn't on TV.

Baylor was doing a lot of Dr J stuff but it didn't catch on until The Doctor.

asandhu23
03-04-2014, 12:12 PM

Idiots. Cousy, West, Maravich, Isiah, Frazier, Hardaway, Jordan just to name a few before Iverson.

DR_1
03-04-2014, 10:40 PM
George Mikan
Bill Russell
Magic
MJ
Dirk