PDA

View Full Version : Old School Question of the Day: What are the 5 most unbreakable records?

JasonJohnHorn
03-03-2014, 08:25 AM
Yesterday was the 52 anniversary of Wilt's 100 point game.

Some consider that one of the most unbreakable records in the NBA. Of course Wilt's single season average for points, rebounds and minutes played are all unbreakable, as is Stockton's career assist and steals total. Likewise Moses Malone's consecutive games played without fouling out is equally impressive.

Which five records do you think are the most unbreakable?

MonroeFAN
03-03-2014, 09:49 AM
I think the NBA should remove Wilt's records. I know this is a tough subject, I've had it out with plenty of people on here before with it. I don't want another pointless debate, I just think it's kind of a joke that he holds a bunch of records most players have no chance of ever breaking.

theducksmuggler
03-03-2014, 10:35 AM
^^^really? lets just get rid of all the records we think are unbreakable...thats quite possibly the most absurd sports argument ive ever heard...

tigers.6
03-03-2014, 11:16 AM
Just to name a few:

1.) Wilt's scoring avg. of 50.4 pts in 1961-62
2.) Wilt's rebound total in a game - 55.
3.) Bull's 72 win total
4.) Kareem's point total - 38,387 points
5.) Stockton's Assist total - 15,806 assits
6.) Rasheed's T foul total in a season - 41
7.) Oscar averaging a triple double in a season and his career total - 181

KnicksorBust
03-03-2014, 11:29 AM
1961-1962 Wilt Chamberlain averaged 48.5 mpg.

Mile High Champ
03-03-2014, 12:41 PM

KOB with the win. Well played!

MonroeFAN
03-03-2014, 12:57 PM
^^^really? lets just get rid of all the records we think are unbreakable...thats quite possibly the most absurd sports argument ive ever heard...

Not quite what I meant. It would be absurd to assume that all of these players that played before we had the technology and advanced knowledge of the game that we have today are that good to begin with. It's kind of a joke.

Yeah, Wilt is significantly better than Shaq, Dwight Howard, David Robinson & the dream. Doesn't that sound absurd?

archdevil84
03-03-2014, 01:10 PM

lol, nice one

IKnowHoops
03-03-2014, 08:30 PM
They all start with Wilt Chamberlain

Tony_Starks
03-03-2014, 08:54 PM
I'm going off modern Hoop era (80's forward )

- '96 Bulls 72 win season

- '01 Lakers 15-1 record in the playoffs and Finals

- Kobe 81

- Hakeem Quadruple double

- Chauncey Billups Finals MVP without being a allstar

jaydubb
03-03-2014, 09:11 PM

Haha no way anyone even gets close to this.. Literally the only untouchable record IMO.. Yea there are other records that are unlikely, like the 100 point game, 55 ppg , 72 win season, and so on but no way anyone ever averages more then a full game in minutes per game ever again.

Let me add another one to me that's in the convo of unbreakable, Celtics win 8 chips in a row with bill Russell.. Crazy

DreamShaker
03-03-2014, 11:08 PM

First thing I thought of. Totally ridiculous. And some people say he could not match up as an athlete with players these days!

torocan
03-03-2014, 11:17 PM

/thread

The other records are unlikely, but you're never going to see this record broken. No coach in their right mind would *ever* play their star/superstar for an entire season from tip off to buzzer.

slashsnake
03-03-2014, 11:36 PM
Not quite what I meant. It would be absurd to assume that all of these players that played before we had the technology and advanced knowledge of the game that we have today are that good to begin with. It's kind of a joke.

Yeah, Wilt is significantly better than Shaq, Dwight Howard, David Robinson & the dream. Doesn't that sound absurd?

Wouldn't you say those guys defense is significantly better than Wilt's opponent in that 100 pt game?

I am tired of records falling just for rule changes. The NFL is a great example of that.

Sure, Magic couldn't play in today's NBA without the hand check rules. Sure, Bird would be too slow in today's NBA to play. Sure, Wilt would just be another 7 footer, and Bill Russell would struggle to make a team.

The problem was those players were raised from day 1 with different rules to the game, different training, different medical help (think knee surgeries), different gear (think shoes and wraps), different off-seasons (think working other jobs or everyone actually not working out altogether).

The point is who knows where Wilt would be today if he got modern coaching, training, and medicine. What I do know is that when he played against his peers he dominated them, and that to me is what matters.

dalton749
03-04-2014, 12:11 AM
per 36 that 61/62 season, wilts numbers were 37/19, a more fair comparison for todays nba.
the league average pace was also 126 compared to todays 92

27/13.8 per 36 at todays league pace
(basically kevin love)

so technically somebody averaging those numbers in todays nba could have hypothetically put up the same numbers as wilt in 1962

so no, those records arent fair to uphold at all because it is impossible to add 35 possesions per team in todays nba

bill russel, the mvp that years numbers would be the equivalent of 11/13.7 in todays nba
(deandre jordan)

FlashBolt
03-04-2014, 12:36 AM
No one would average 48.5 MPG because they would be tired. When you're dominating pre school children, it's not hard to preserve energy.

TheMightyHumph
03-04-2014, 04:59 AM
bill russel, the mvp that years numbers would be the equivalent of 11/13.7 in todays nba
(deandre jordan)

Yeah, Deandre Jordan is the defender and team leader that Bill Russell was.

Kushed
03-04-2014, 05:21 AM
i dont think the records should be taken away but i just don't think people realize how overrated wilt is due to eye popping stats when they don't understand the reasons those stats came to be...

TheMightyHumph
03-04-2014, 05:27 AM
i dont think the records should be taken away but i just don't think people realize how overrated wilt is due to eye popping stats when they don't understand the reasons those stats came to be...

Help us to understand the reasons those stats came to be.

Kushed
03-04-2014, 05:31 AM

he was ahead of his time... playing in an era with 6'6 white dudes who couldn't do anything to stop him

playing in an era where they averaged about 30 more possessions per game....

the game of basketball changes over time and wilt happened to be placed in an era where he was the god above all......

if you put him in this era of basketball would he have 30 some 60 points games?? absolutely not.. he wouldn't even have more than 5....

would he have ever scored 100?? absolutely not

would he have ever put up anything close to some of the averages he had??? 100% no no no

but people don't take into account those different factors when looking at stats...

its the same thing for bill russels 11 rings... he played in an era with 8-14 teams... there is no way he would have got anywhere close to 11 rings if he played nowadays not in a million years but people seem to not understand that

thenaj17
03-04-2014, 05:36 AM
Haha no way anyone even gets close to this.. Literally the only untouchable record IMO.. Yea there are other records that are unlikely, like the 100 point game, 55 ppg , 72 win season, and so on but no way anyone ever averages more then a full game in minutes per game ever again.

Let me add another one to me that's in the convo of unbreakable, Celtics win 8 chips in a row with bill Russell.. Crazy

This shows how much of a joke the league was back then, hence why these 'records' should be discredited.

thenaj17
03-04-2014, 05:38 AM
he was ahead of his time... playing in an era with 6'6 white dudes who couldn't do anything to stop him

the game of basketball changes over time and wilt happened to be placed in an era where he was the god above all......

if you put him in this era of basketball would he have 30 some 60 points games?? absolutely not.. he wouldn't even have more than 5....

would he have ever put up anything close to some of the averages he had??? 100% no no no

but people don't take into account those different factors when looking at stats...

its the same thing for bill russels 11 rings... he played in an era with 8-14 teams... there is no way he would have got anywhere close to 11 rings if he played nowadays not in a million years but people seem to not understand that

x2

Kushed
03-04-2014, 05:43 AM
x2

its funny to me lol kobe put bill russel as a top 4 player of all time LOL is kobe ****ing high?? it amazes me how some of these players seem to know nothing about the history of the game... they hear stats and rings and foam at the mouth fckin clowns

TheMightyHumph
03-04-2014, 06:02 AM

And you forget considerations of that era. A black player was VERY SUDDENLY the most dominant player in the game. And he couldn't shoot free throws. White players and coaches did everything they could to stop him from scoring, including fouling his teammates so he couldn't score, to getting incredibly physical putting with him (this was the '60s) to frustrate him, and even putting their hands in the sphere of the basket, knowing Wilt wouldn't dunk and risk breaking their arms.

And, of course, the NBA immedistely starting putting in rukes thst would somewhat contain Wilt's domnsnce (16 foot lane, the offensive goaltending rule). And we're not even talking about a player that was winning anything.

And he took his punishment 48 minutes a night, then squeezed into a bus to get to his next game, where sometimes players of the black persuasion had to find different accomodations than the white players. And they were not limited to playing just two nights in a row.

And his last four full seasons in the NBA (which he then just walked away from) he led the league in rebounding, the last three when Lewie had entered the league.

Of course, the season after he left, blocked shots became a statistic.

jaydubb
03-04-2014, 06:06 AM

He dominated in his era.. So what if he was ahead of his time, so is lebron.. Lebron is bigger, taller, faster then the competition at his position.. You gonna discredit everything he does too? Terrible argument IMO..

Kushed
03-04-2014, 06:07 AM
And you forget considerations of that era. A black player was VERY SUDDENLY the most dominant player in the game. And he couldn't shoot free throws. White players and coaches did everything they could to stop him from scoring, including fouling his teammates so he couldn't score, to getting incredibly physical putting with him (this was the '60s) to frustrate him, and even putting their hands in the sphere of the basket, knowing Wilt wouldn't dunk and risk breaking their arms.

And, of course, the NBA immedistely starting putting in rukes thst would somewhat contain Wilt's domnsnce (16 foot lane, the offensive goaltending rule). And we're not even talking about a player that was winning anything.

And he took his punishment 48 minutes a night, then squeezed into a bus to get to his next game, where sometimes players of the black persuasion had to find different accomodations than the white players. And they were not limited to playing just two nights in a row.

And his last four full seasons in the NBA (which he then just walked away from) he led the league in rebounding, the last three when Lewie had entered the league.

Of course, the season after he left, blocked shots became a statistic.

nice post, really i was moved...

unfortunately, squeezing on to a crammed bus and being racially discriminated against has nothing to do with the fact that his stats were extremely inflated, thus overvaluing his actual dominance and not allowing a fair critique of his game. period.

c.c.
03-04-2014, 08:02 AM
Due to theses age limit rules, a lot these stats will be very hard to break also.

Kaner
03-04-2014, 11:05 AM
i doubt anybody will ever again get within 5 mpg of Wilts record

JasonJohnHorn
03-04-2014, 12:08 PM
Anybody who dismisses Wilt and Russell's accomplishments because they 'played against a bunch of slow white guys' has no clue about the level of talent in the league at the time. The league today is watered down.

And anybody who thinks Bird would be too slow, and that Magic wouldn't be able to average what he did today, didn't watch these guys and simply are not aware of how AMAZING and FAST the league was back then.

The league was FASTER in the generations leading up to this one. There is a reason why teams score less and have fewer possessions.

Let's not praise a generation that features a guy like Boris Diaw getting rotation minutes on a contender, and where a guy like Tony Worten can actually start.

dalton749
03-04-2014, 01:07 PM
fact is, the game of basketball isn't the same as it was 50 years ago, so how can the records be?
theyre great in their time, but should be left in the time they happened to make way for new opportunity in a completely different style of game.

what good are records if they're completely unbreakable for the next 100 years to come.
there really should be a system that pushes records out the door every so many years to make way for future generations.

give them their spot in the hall of fame and move on

tredigs
03-04-2014, 01:21 PM
Wouldn't you say those guys defense is significantly better than Wilt's opponent in that 100 pt game?

I am tired of records falling just for rule changes. The NFL is a great example of that.

Sure, Magic couldn't play in today's NBA without the hand check rules. Sure, Bird would be too slow in today's NBA to play. Sure, Wilt would just be another 7 footer, and Bill Russell would struggle to make a team.

The problem was those players were raised from day 1 with different rules to the game, different training, different medical help (think knee surgeries), different gear (think shoes and wraps), different off-seasons (think working other jobs or everyone actually not working out altogether).

The point is who knows where Wilt would be today if he got modern coaching, training, and medicine. What I do know is that when he played against his peers he dominated them, and that to me is what matters.

I... I have no words.

FlashBolt
03-04-2014, 01:27 PM
ABA should all be discounted. I know sometimes being better shouldn't be frowned upon but in these cases, it's not even remotely fair to compare Wilt to other stats. He would not score 100 and he definitely wouldn't average 48.5 MPG...

THE MTL
03-04-2014, 01:37 PM

I was waiting for someone to say this one. While 100pts or 72 win season might be extremely difficult near impossible to accomplish they are still possible.

But Wilt's 48.5mpg is impossible to break. U would have to play every second of every game including blowouts. And then at least 9 of ur games must go into overtime where u play the full five minutes!

Jeffy25
03-04-2014, 02:03 PM
It's important to remember how different the game was when Wilt threw up 50 points a game.

Of course, he dominated in a way that we'll probably never see again. But the style of play was just different. Way more shots per game taken too.

tredigs
03-04-2014, 02:03 PM
Wilt definitely had the attrition to average 48.5 mpg in this or any era (being that he did it in a rougher era with higher pace, that's clear), but I think it's right to say that no coach would allow it.

And in the pace of current offenses, no - you can't average 50/25 (I think he could average 35/15 for a year). But it's not out of the realm of possibility to occur again in the future depending on how the game develops.

JAZZNC
03-04-2014, 02:49 PM
Stockton's steals and assist records.

Chronz
03-04-2014, 02:52 PM
per 36 that 61/62 season, wilts numbers were 37/19, a more fair comparison for todays nba.
the league average pace was also 126 compared to todays 92

27/13.8 per 36 at todays league pace
(basically kevin love)

so technically somebody averaging those numbers in todays nba could have hypothetically put up the same numbers as wilt in 1962

so no, those records arent fair to uphold at all because it is impossible to add 35 possesions per team in todays nba

(deandre jordan)

Brilliant post, exemplifies the importance of per possession rates and efficiency. That said, Russ had an impact beyond his own stats. I also feel he would be more efficient in a more efficient league

jaydubb
03-04-2014, 03:50 PM

I... I have no words.

Haha yea.. I'm blown away by a lot of these comments too

Hellcrooner
03-04-2014, 04:44 PM
averaging more tan 48 minutes per game and average a triple doublé.

ManRam
03-04-2014, 04:46 PM
- Chauncey Billups Finals MVP without being a allstar

That almost happened last year, though. A Ray Allen shot away from it.