PDA

View Full Version : Ben Gordon Released post post-season deadline ???

Kyben36
03-03-2014, 02:19 AM
anyone else feel like this is unfair to Ben Gordon. anyone else feel like he should still be able to sign with a team because he was waived post deadline ???? or is this just part of the nba and live with it. i feel like it was a ****** play by the Bobcats who clearly are not even playing the guy,

bleedprple&gold
03-03-2014, 02:22 AM
Dick move to do it one day past the deadline. Couldn't have been by accident.

beasted86
03-03-2014, 02:22 AM
Its a fair play by the owner if they are still paying him his full guaranteed money... but it is another blemish on the poor management of the Bobcats.

Just another thing to think about before a free agent signs with that team or a potential trade comes up that a player or their agent might try to roadblock.

sunsfan88
03-03-2014, 03:17 AM
Is there a logical reason as to why Jordan did this?

Deception
03-03-2014, 03:33 AM
I think Gordon and his agent did something when they were considering buying him out a few weeks ago, something occurred then and caused Jordan to get back at him.

Tony_Starks
03-03-2014, 03:41 AM
Yeah from the surface this seems like a real jerk move. I know there has been haggling back an forth for a while but they should've been resolved this.

If it was me once it got to the deadline I would've just said screw it stayed, at least he had a shot at the playoffs.

Deadpool
03-03-2014, 05:15 AM
It sucks for Gordon, his season is essentially done. Won't help him when it comes to free agency either. Definitely a dick move on the bobcats behalf even though he was never worth his contract it's still a dick thing to do.

Posted on iPad

Sadds The Gr8
03-03-2014, 05:24 AM
he was a douche bag there anyways so good job by the Bobcats. This clown ignored coaches and **** when he's supposed to be a veteran leader. No sympathy for this asshat

Kyben36
03-03-2014, 06:02 AM
he was a douche bag there anyways so good job by the Bobcats. This clown ignored coaches and **** when he's supposed to be a veteran leader. No sympathy for this asshat

i will slighly a gree with this to a point, i have never been a real fan of gordon after his **** he pulled when he was in chicago, same type of thing, sat on the bench with boo boos all season after we didnt extend him long term, never really listened but still, if your going to pay the guy all the money anyway, at least let him go to a team for ****s sake, he really never was the same after the bulls, though,

YoungOne
03-03-2014, 07:29 AM
maybe they just didnt reach an agreement about the amount he has to forfeit in time...?

JasonJohnHorn
03-03-2014, 07:30 AM
This might look like a bad move, but to be honest, the last thing you want when you are an 8th or 7th seed is to release a play who can score 20 points off the bench on a given night and then watch him sign with the 9th seed and over take you for your playoff spot.

What a lot of people don't realize is that while a guy may have fallen out of rotation, waiving him can hurt you if he signs with a team you are competing with who needs a guy at his position. The Knicks could have certainly used him, or the Pistons, or even the Hawks or Cavs.

There was likely something else at work, but when a team pay a player to NOT play for them, they essentially are paying him TO play for somebody else, and in a tight playoff race, that can cost you.

Chi StateOfMind
03-03-2014, 09:59 AM
I dont feel sorry for any nba player with all the money they make. Im sure he will be fine.

Slug3
03-03-2014, 10:51 AM

Honestly he is just not that great at running a team. Maybe he will get better at it one day. But I am pretty sure they were trying to agree to a buyout and Jordan maybe didnt like what Gordon wanted so he didnt buy him out and released him just a little to late as a big F you to him so he cannot sign with a contending team.

THE MTL
03-03-2014, 10:59 AM
He got bought out for millions. Given millions of dollars just so he can NOT WORK. Im not feeling bad for him.

Slug3
03-03-2014, 11:53 AM
He got bought out for millions. Given millions of dollars just so he can NOT WORK. Im not feeling bad for him.

I believe he just got released.

lakerfan85
03-03-2014, 01:26 PM
He was released not bought out... If the bobcats make the playoffs why would you want this guy to have an opportunity to possibly help another team in a playoff series against you..

lakerfan85
03-03-2014, 01:27 PM
anyone else feel like this is unfair to Ben Gordon. anyone else feel like he should still be able to sign with a team because he was waived post deadline ???? or is this just part of the nba and live with it. i feel like it was a ****** play by the Bobcats who clearly are not even playing the guy,

Why is it unfair? He's still getting paid.. What's unfair is the millions of dollars he's stolen since he signed that ridiculous contract with Detroit..

therealwd27
03-03-2014, 01:45 PM
Idk it's not a great move. But maybe there is more to it. 3 sides to evey story so who knows what really happened but I know from reports he's been a shady team player so maybe that's why

koreancabbage
03-03-2014, 01:49 PM
how can anyone feel sorry for a multi-millionaire getting released by a basketball team lol. honestly.

JPS
03-03-2014, 01:58 PM

Why is it unfair? He's still getting paid.. What's unfair is the millions of dollars he's stolen since he signed that ridiculous contract with Detroit..

This

Shammyguy3
03-03-2014, 03:44 PM

This

AddiX
03-03-2014, 07:54 PM
What a weird career this guy has had.

Since I use to be a huge fan of him, and wanted him in NY at one point. it's only natural he will end up in NY now that his best days are behind him.

IndyRealist
03-03-2014, 09:30 PM

+1. It's how guaranteed contracts work. He gets paid no matter what, and the team can do with his contract anything they want. He was a grown man when he signed the deal, he should have known what he was getting into.

As for the OP, like others said it's likely that the 'Cats competition had some interest in Gordon and/or Ben kept asking for more and more in the buyout. At some point, the owner has to gauge whether it's worth saving a couple of million and letting a player go to another team that could boot you out of the playoffs, costing you a lot more.

bleedprple&gold
03-03-2014, 10:06 PM

+1. It's how guaranteed contracts work. He gets paid no matter what, and the team can do with his contract anything they want. He was a grown man when he signed the deal, he should have known what he was getting into.

As for the OP, like others said it's likely that the 'Cats competition had some interest in Gordon and/or Ben kept asking for more and more in the buyout. At some point, the owner has to gauge whether it's worth saving a couple of million and letting a player go to another team that could boot you out of the playoffs, costing you a lot more.

It had to be either management wanted to screw him or they didn't want him going to a competitor. Money obviously wasnt the issue because he ended up getting all of it and if they were willing to pay him all his money why not make that decision before the deadline?

TrueFan420
03-03-2014, 10:17 PM
It had to be either management wanted to screw him or they didn't want him going to a competitor. Money obviously wasnt the issue because he ended up getting all of it and if they were willing to pay him all his money why not make that decision before the deadline?

Maybe he keeps asking for more more. Maybe at first they're close on 5 mill buy out then he says no now I want 6 then says no now I want x amount. If not then its probably cause he has been disrespectful and or don't want him on a competitor.

king4day
03-03-2014, 10:38 PM
They tried buying him out before the deadline and he wanted to keep all of the money. So why do him a favor when he wouldn't do one for them?
He gets his money but the sacrifice is not going to a playoff contender for a shot at a ring.

Don't have an issue at all with this.

JasonJohnHorn
03-04-2014, 12:56 PM
Releasing a guy post postseason-deadline is so post postmodern.

bigsams50
03-04-2014, 01:10 PM
They tried buying him out before the deadline and he wanted to keep all of the money. So why do him a favor when he wouldn't do one for them?
He gets his money but the sacrifice is not going to a playoff contender for a shot at a ring.

Don't have an issue at all with this.

This. People quick to judge once again. Why would the Cats/Hornets help Gordon out when he wouldnt help them out. Thanks for Detroits first Gordon btw

Walt
03-04-2014, 01:29 PM
Miami could have used Gordon. They don't need him, but adding Gordon as a microwave would have been interesting.

DetroitBadBoy
03-04-2014, 03:13 PM
I think he will be ok the rest of the year with his huge unearned buyout. Dumars...:facepalm:

Walt
03-04-2014, 03:48 PM
I can see New York grabbing him. ****, grab him and get rid of JR Smith pronto and there you go, you have a guard that can do what JR does but isn't an idiot. And for cheaper.

Quinnsanity
03-04-2014, 05:07 PM

Yes, if you're Charlotte and you're sitting in the 7th/8th spot in the East, do you really want to risk giving Miami or Indiana another player when you might play them in the first round?