PDA

View Full Version : Old School Question of the Day: Would World b Free or Calvin Murphy be more hyped...

Hellcrooner
03-02-2014, 08:32 PM
If they played nowdays?

Calvin Murphy, yes he is in the hof but based more in ncaa career and longevity in nba ( and the ft record) than on actual merit during his nba days ( he only was into the asg once)
World be free , only an all star once too.

Both SMALL guards ( 5,9 and 6,2)

both CHUKING guards more shooting/me first oriented than pass first oriented.

That feature back then costed them being critizied for it because guards were supposed to pass the ball, not being the center of the offense.

They were volumen scorers and as you see it didnt serve them to be perennial allstars.

Nowdays we have a league filled of shooting point guards ( the Allen iverson disease should it be called) and fans seem to like it that way.

Would these two " pioneers" have been in more allstar games and have much more hype around him and be allowed to be " the man" on their teams ( something they never were back then).?

Hellcrooner
03-03-2014, 04:56 PM
come on old timers!!!

TheMightyHumph
03-03-2014, 05:43 PM
Hyped?

JasonJohnHorn
03-05-2014, 10:17 AM
WBF and Calvin Murphy would both have jobs today, WBF especially. Murphy would be a little like Nate Robinson or Isaiah Thomas: guys that can have great games and help you win, but who struggle to get long-term contracts because teams are worried about size.

Back then there were a lot of smaller SGs... Joe D wasn't so big, but the move over time has been to bigger guards. 6'4,-6'8. The league seems to have gotten bigger.

I think Murphy would struggle to find work as a shooting guard and even as a point guard. He'd be like NAte or Eddie House where he is a small guy that can guard the opposing team's point guard, but on offense, you have a guy like LBJ or Paul Pierce bring the ball up.

I don't see Murphy getting any All-Star nods to be honest. Not today. WBF might, because in the right situation I can see him post high 20's still, and pretty much every player in the top-five for scoring makes the All-Star game.

TheMightyHumph
03-05-2014, 03:03 PM
WBF and Calvin Murphy would both have jobs today, WBF especially. Murphy would be a little like Nate Robinson or Isaiah Thomas: guys that can have great games and help you win, but who struggle to get long-term contracts because teams are worried about size.

Back then there were a lot of smaller SGs... Joe D wasn't so big, but the move over time has been to bigger guards. 6'4,-6'8. The league seems to have gotten bigger.

I think Murphy would struggle to find work as a shooting guard and even as a point guard. He'd be like NAte or Eddie House where he is a small guy that can guard the opposing team's point guard, but on offense, you have a guy like LBJ or Paul Pierce bring the ball up.

I don't see Murphy getting any All-Star nods to be honest. Not today. WBF might, because in the right situation I can see him post high 20's still, and pretty much every player in the top-five for scoring makes the All-Star game.

Have to disagree. Calvin was better offensively and defensively, and much more in control.

Hellcrooner
03-05-2014, 04:17 PM
yeah i see coaches letting calvin chuck at will and thus scoring over 20 per game.

TheMightyHumph
03-05-2014, 05:13 PM
yeah i see coaches letting calvin chuck at will and thus scoring over 20 per game.

A pretty sight, isn't it.