PDA

View Full Version : Cuban: D-League better for prospects

John Walls Era
03-02-2014, 05:04 AM
I see that the other thread was moved, but this is definitely NBA material.

http://espn.go.com/dallas/nba/story/_/id/10538276/mark-cuban-says-nba-d-league-better-option-ncaa

"The NCAA rules are so hypocritical, there's absolutely no reason for a kid to go [to college], because he's not going to class [and] he's actually not even able to take advantage of all the fun because the first semester he starts playing basketball. So if the goal is just to graduate to the NBA or be an NBA player, go to the D-League."

"If the whole plan is just to go to college for one year maybe or just the first semester, that's not a student-athlete. That's ridiculous.

Cuban's biggest concern about one-and-done prospects is that they're often not mentally, emotionally and psychologically prepared for the NBA after spending only one season in a college environment.

He believes the D-League could provide a better atmosphere for freshman-age players to develop on and off the court.

"You have to develop some level of maturity, and that has to be part of the process," Cuban said. "You don't want to bring kids in and just abandon them. That'd be the worst thing we could do.

One conclusion that Cuban has reached: Playing in the NCAA is not the ideal way to prepare for an NBA career. He hopes the D-League emerges as a clearly superior option.

"Then you wouldn't be under the stupidity of the NCAA," Cuban said. "There's no reason for the NCAA to exist. None."

John Walls Era
03-02-2014, 05:06 AM
I thought of this before (not D-league per say), but why teams can't bring a player in and develop them while they are still young? Obviously this can now be done through the NBA affiliate team (NBA D-league team). The overall NBA talent will grow over time if teams can have input on a kid's development and monitor their strengths or weakness. The players would still need to go through the draft (or not, but something will have to be worked out). The more kids do this, the better the competition will be and the D-league could become better than the NCAA. Especially if NBA teams can have some kind of access to the affiliate team.

I only disagree with Cuban's last point. Some athletes do want to learn. Also I will be sad if theres no March Madness.

Cuban not making any friends with the higher ups of any college...

Heediot
03-02-2014, 06:28 AM
I'm all for it.

Raise the age limit to 20 (For D-League prospects) and 21 for (NCAA prospects)

Have some decent average salary for the D League 100k per year is nice money to live off.

C-ross12
03-02-2014, 08:42 AM
As usual, Cuban is on the mark here. If I were a highly touted 17 or 18 year old coming out of HS, I'd just go overseas and play a season or so. The NCAA is one of the biggest hacks going these days.

Goose17
03-02-2014, 09:48 AM
He must be on this forum, I was discussing this a while back. :p

imagesrdecievin
03-02-2014, 01:51 PM
If this is to happen then the D League would have to pay the top prospects on par with what they can get from boosters. Right now it's got to be more lucrative to play for the boosters in the NCAA.

ThuglifeJ
03-02-2014, 02:03 PM
NBA needs more Cubans... you know, people that actually care about the NBA.

Shoulda been the Commish!

TrueFan420
03-02-2014, 02:11 PM
NBA needs more Cubans... you know, people that actually care about the NBA.

Shoulda been the Commish!

Naw he'd have had to sell mavs and he'd stop making awesome comments because he'd be restrained by his position.

TorontoHuskies
03-02-2014, 02:11 PM
Just to repeat what I said before the last forum was moved.

I think the D-league should be strictly for Players who weren't drafted, drafted player who aren't ready for the NBA and players who are ineligible for the draft. It would be too hard to sell that league to High school prospects because they wouldn't get much time playing with NBA draftees which would stump their development. The NBA should model themselves after the NHL where they have the AHL ( D-league equivalent) and then they have the CHL which is just for amateur prospects (draft eligible players). This way the draft eligible players in the NBA could play in a top amateur league with NBA rules which would prepare them better for the league.

TorontoHuskies
03-02-2014, 02:12 PM
He must be on this forum, I was discussing this a while back. :p

Yea that's what i'm saying timing is weird...

NBA_Starter
03-02-2014, 10:39 PM
Famous people do read this forum, I truly believe that.

2-ONE-5
03-02-2014, 11:15 PM
the d league is a joke. id rather get a free ride to college then make 50$ a game in the d league

NBA_Starter
03-02-2014, 11:54 PM
the d league is a joke. id rather get a free ride to college then make 50$ a game in the d league

It is hard to argue that.

Asik's better
03-02-2014, 11:59 PM
I'm all for developing players in the dleague. Jones and Dmo both played a lot of time in the dleague during their rookie season and are now playing well for the rockets. And bevs spent time overseas and some time in the dleague.

PraiseJesus
03-03-2014, 12:01 AM
Sorry Marky - But no worthwhile player is going to forgo the college experience of being the BMOC and going through the NCAA march madness tournament.

If anything - I think Players should spend 3 or 4 years in college

The d league??? What a joke

Chronz
03-03-2014, 12:19 AM
I would remove the single year rule and enforce a single year of D-League, that way these kids can choose to go to school or get paid. I would also not count a D-League player as part of a teams roster, that way these kids can get their money without taking jobs away from more seasoned vets that dont need to be developed but can actually help a team now.

eibbor
03-03-2014, 12:22 AM
Sorry Marky - But no worthwhile player is going to forgo the college experience of being the BMOC and going through the NCAA march madness tournament.

If anything - I think Players should spend 3 or 4 years in college

The d league??? What a joke

Sorry, person who actually believes in the religious con, but you are wrong.

A worthwhile player absolutely would look at the d league if it was viewed and used as a farm system. The ridiculous age limit rule is what is going to make that happen.

The d league is currently not what it is going to be.

To say a player needs to stay 3 or 4 years is short sided... If you go, you should want to go and should graduate. To expect someone to go because they want to play pro ball is insane no matter how many years you think it should be. Asking people to start a degree that they have no intention on finishing is wrong.

The d league isn't a joke, the process is a joke. GM's drafting people that aren't ready for possible future success is the joke. The d league as a farm system could change that. Better than going to Europe for no reason or starting college with no intention of finishing.

TorontoHuskies
03-03-2014, 12:24 AM
I would remove the single year rule and enforce a single year of D-League, that way these kids can choose to go to school or get paid. I would also not count a D-League player as part of a teams roster, that way these kids can get their money without taking jobs away from more seasoned vets that dont need to be developed but can actually help a team now.

D league is way too small for and all of these players.They should come up with a new league just for Draft eligible players and keep the D-league as is for pro's that need to be developed further.

eibbor
03-03-2014, 12:28 AM
D league is way too small for and these players, They should come up with a league lower than the D-league just for Draft eligible players.

That is better than forcing people to start something they have no intention of finishing to achieve their goal.

TorontoHuskies
03-03-2014, 12:39 AM
That is better than forcing people to start something they have no intention of finishing to achieve their goal.

that's how they do it in other pro leagues, you have the main league (NBA), Development League. and a prospect league. Amateur players shouldn't be playing with/against pros anyways which is another reason the D-league is a bad idea.

Chronz
03-03-2014, 12:46 AM
D league is way too small for and all of these players.They should come up with a new league just for Draft eligible players and keep the D-league as is for pro's that need to be developed further.

Is it really? I have never even looked at D-L rosters

TorontoHuskies
03-03-2014, 12:59 AM
Is it really? I have never even looked at D-L rosters

I mean like in terms of league size there's only 18 teams and it would be shared with players already drafted and other pros. I'd think the league would need like 60+ teams or whatever because there's a lot of players who get overlooked by scouts at the high school level and then end up making it.

2-ONE-5
03-03-2014, 10:50 AM
the d league is a joke. it is a me first league that pays horribly and the competition is not as strong as the NCAA to begin with. by the way only 9 freshmen entered the draft last year

waveycrockett
03-03-2014, 11:14 AM
NCAA is a SCAM. Making BILLIONS off kids and not showing them a single penny under the farce that they are all about getting kids their "education" what a load of crap. Absolutely crazy. Mark Cuban is definitely on the right track here. If only the NFL had something similar to a D-League.

koreancabbage
03-03-2014, 11:49 AM
NCAA is a SCAM. Making BILLIONS off kids and not showing them a single penny under the farce that they are all about getting kids their "education" what a load of crap. Absolutely crazy. Mark Cuban is definitely on the right track here. If only the NFL had something similar to a D-League.

LOL how is it a scam? schools give these kids full scholarships/rides for schooling. thats like 20K to 60K per year for some students just to play basketball for like 8 months. That includes dorming, education (if you're up for it), food, etc. Yes they are making billions off of them but that goes the same for any employee that works for a multi billion company. Its just the way the system works.

and plus, Its the only sustainable league out there that people would watch other than the NBA. No one watches the D-League.

Teeboy1487
03-03-2014, 12:02 PM
I agree with Cuban somewhat even though NCAAB is needed. I think the D-league should develop prospects. I'm all in favor in increasing the age requirement to 20. However, I still say prospects fresh out of high school should be allowed to be drafted, but only play for the D-league affiliate of their teams until they turn 20. College is not for everyone. I think if some special talented kids are ready the nba and don't want to go to college, they should at the very least be able to go to the D-league.

waveycrockett
03-03-2014, 12:02 PM
LOL how is it a scam? schools give these kids full scholarships/rides for schooling. thats like 20K to 60K per year for some students just to play basketball for like 8 months. That includes dorming, education (if you're up for it), food, etc. Yes they are making billions off of them but that goes the same for any employee that works for a multi billion company. Its just the way the system works.

and plus, Its the only sustainable league out there that people would watch other than the NBA. No one watches the D-League.
These kids aren't going there for a scholarship. They could wipe their rear with that 60K per year school at least the kids that play for the big schools generating money for the NCAA. They are basically being housed and fed for 1-2 years they decide to stay in school while they make money for said school hand over fist. Obviously if your playing for a school like Western Kentucky State that doesn't really apply but schools like Western Kentucky state aren't generating any money for the NCAA.

The "employee" analogy doesn't really work because employees are paid their true value which is what happens in leagues like the NBA or Google or whatever.

If your a stud "employee" like Jabari parker making tons of money for your "company" (NCAA) should you be compensated the same amount as the guy playing at the end of bench on Moorhouse State?

koreancabbage
03-03-2014, 01:37 PM
These kids aren't going there for a scholarship. They could wipe their rear with that 60K per year school at least the kids that play for the big schools generating money for the NCAA. They are basically being housed and fed for 1-2 years they decide to stay in school while they make money for said school hand over fist. Obviously if your playing for a school like Western Kentucky State that doesn't really apply but schools like Western Kentucky state aren't generating any money for the NCAA.

The "employee" analogy doesn't really work because employees are paid their true value which is what happens in leagues like the NBA or Google or whatever.

If your a stud "employee" like Jabari parker making tons of money for your "company" (NCAA) should you be compensated the same amount as the guy playing at the end of bench on Moorhouse State?

lets be honest, most of these kids suck and only a handful are actually decent. some are good and most are not. most of these kids don't have a chance to make the NBA but they get full rides throughout their college careers, NBA career or not, and actually make decent livings afterwards (non NBA) because they got the free ride from college.

sure, Parker might be entitled to more compensation, and I'm all up for that. Noone is, however, forcing him to go to college.

NCAA was built to make sure the league was sustainable and that players get the most exposure on a national level. Sure NCAA makes a lot of money, but without the NCAA, players wouldn't get promoted on a national basis. Think S.Curry - played for a small school but got a lot of exposure because of the NCAA.

lets get back to the employee example. some employers overpay and some underpay. NCAA makes sure all teams and players are playing within the same rules. Schools might give out more scholarship than others but I'm also all for the letting students work for their money.

If you think about it, if players got money from the get-go, in school, they'd probably try less because once they see that cash, it could be down-hill. I like how if no players got paid and all teammates got "paid" equally, It actually promotes a better team atmosphere.

NCAA basketball > NBA basketball

TorontoHuskies
03-03-2014, 02:53 PM
lets be honest, most of these kids suck and only a handful are actually decent. some are good and most are not. most of these kids don't have a chance to make the NBA but they get full rides throughout their college careers, NBA career or not, and actually make decent livings afterwards (non NBA) because they got the free ride from college.

sure, Parker might be entitled to more compensation, and I'm all up for that. Noone is, however, forcing him to go to college.

NCAA was built to make sure the league was sustainable and that players get the most exposure on a national level. Sure NCAA makes a lot of money, but without the NCAA, players wouldn't get promoted on a national basis. Think S.Curry - played for a small school but got a lot of exposure because of the NCAA.

lets get back to the employee example. some employers overpay and some underpay. NCAA makes sure all teams and players are playing within the same rules. Schools might give out more scholarship than others but I'm also all for the letting students work for their money.

If you think about it, if players got money from the get-go, in school, they'd probably try less because once they see that cash, it could be down-hill. I like how if no players got paid and all teammates got "paid" equally, It actually promotes a better team atmosphere.

Just create a new league 60+ team league called the Amateur Basketball Association (ABA) which follows the same rules as the NBA and is formed by drafting high school players each year....Problem solved.

waveycrockett
03-03-2014, 03:00 PM

Yes most of the kids "suck" and will never make it, they are NOT the kids who generate TV and AD revenue that lines the NCAA pockets with BILLIONS. It's the good kids that line the make NCAA the money. Obviously under Cuban's idea those sucky kids could continue to suck in college and get a free education.

And how could you say NO ONE is forcing him to go to college? lol there is a rule PUT IN PLACE by NBA that does JUST THAT.

They should create a rule similar to MLB. You either have the choice out of HS to go PRO or go to College but must stay for 2-3 years if you pick college.

2-ONE-5
03-03-2014, 04:49 PM

dont forget the first class training daciltities they get to us, all the sneaker, clothes, etc

Hawkeye15
03-03-2014, 04:52 PM
The last sentence I totally disagree with "There is no reason for the NCAA to exist. None.".

No, there is. What percentage of NCAA players on the 300+ teams are making the NBA? For every kid that makes the NBA, there are 50 kids who are on an athletic scholarship and have the ability to attend college when their parents never could have afforded it.

Red_Pill
03-03-2014, 06:31 PM
I absolutely agree with Cuban. The NCAA is pointless for those wanting to move on to the NBA. At least in the D-league, you're compensated for playing, not to mention, the rules are probably more similar to the NBA and the experience is more NBA-like, which would better help and prepare players.

Red_Pill
03-03-2014, 06:33 PM
The last sentence I totally disagree with "There is no reason for the NCAA to exist. None.".

No, there is. What percentage of NCAA players on the 300+ teams are making the NBA? For every kid that makes the NBA, there are 50 kids who are on an athletic scholarship and have the ability to attend college when their parents never could have afforded it.

Cuban OBVIOUSLY is speaking in regard to those who want to become PROFESSIONAL ATHLETES. Not Jake from Missouri who just wants to play college football, but his real goal in life is to become an accountant.

Red_Pill
03-03-2014, 06:37 PM

And that's why the majority of people are sheep, because they go to college to make someone else rich, instead of working for themselves. College in general is a scam, if you're not going for a STEM degree.

With that said, in regard to athletes, the D-league would be better. They're at least being paid in monetary experience, not to mention there are probably higher level players in the D-league which would fuel the players to progress.

Hawkeye15
03-03-2014, 06:41 PM
Cuban OBVIOUSLY is speaking in regard to those who want to become PROFESSIONAL ATHLETES. Not Jake from Missouri who just wants to play college football, but his real goal in life is to become an accountant.

And how many college kids would totally **** up a chance at an education to try and be professional? A ton is the answer.

NCAA is absolutely necessary.

Red_Pill
03-03-2014, 06:49 PM
And how many college kids would totally **** up a chance at an education to try and be professional? A ton is the answer.

NCAA is absolutely necessary.

So? College isn't necessary to succeed. I didn't go to college. I own a business. There are more paths to success than college.

Hawkeye15
03-03-2014, 07:14 PM
So? College isn't necessary to succeed. I didn't go to college. I own a business. There are more paths to success than college.

I never said it was, but considering that many basketball players come from poor, inner city areas, the idea of a paid for education is far more important for 90% of them, even if most of them believe they will be professionals (which they won't).

Besides, like this would ever happen.

John Walls Era
03-03-2014, 07:18 PM
Education is important, but most of the athletes that are one and done don't care about that. I know the D-league is a joke, but it only takes the first high profile signing to make it respectable. If the D-league features great former highschool players, no doubt it will rise in popularity and then the money will roll in. I think players only make like 25k a year at most right now, so that part is a joke, but thats only because its not popular.

Hawkeye15
03-03-2014, 07:21 PM
Education is important, but most of the athletes that are one and done don't care about that. I know the D-league is a joke, but it only takes the first high profile signing to make it respectable. If the D-league features great former highschool players, no doubt it will rise in popularity and then the money will roll in. I think players only make like 25k a year at most right now, so that part is a joke, but thats only because its not popular.

Totally agree, but if you do this, countless kids will join the D-League, trying to make it pro, and realize too late that they aren't good enough, and at that point, their eligibility is gone.

The positives wouldn't outweigh the negative on this. Cuban is looking at it very selfishly, as an NBA owner, instead of looking at it from the kids point of view.

John Walls Era
03-03-2014, 08:12 PM
Totally agree, but if you do this, countless kids will join the D-League, trying to make it pro, and realize too late that they aren't good enough, and at that point, their eligibility is gone.

The positives wouldn't outweigh the negative on this. Cuban is looking at it very selfishly, as an NBA owner, instead of looking at it from the kids point of view.

They can still go back to school, just not as an athlete. They wouldn't make the NBA anyways.

NBA would need to be involved. Teams would actually have to be more involved with their affiliates.

Hawkeye15
03-03-2014, 09:13 PM
They can still go back to school, just not as an athlete. They wouldn't make the NBA anyways.

NBA would need to be involved. Teams would actually have to be more involved with their affiliates.

But you realize many basketball players are from urban areas with families with no money, right? Taking away their eligibility, ie, scholarship chance, would impact so many of them.

Red_Pill
03-03-2014, 09:31 PM

25k a year to play Basketball for only a part of the year at age 18? Not a bad deal. That's 25k more than they'd make going the college ball route.

Obviously, the "sure things" would be better off going the D-League route. For those that are good at basketball, but aren't sure if they can compete in the pros, perhaps college ball would be better, since it provides a backup plan.

John Walls Era
03-04-2014, 02:42 AM
But you realize many basketball players are from urban areas with families with no money, right? Taking away their eligibility, ie, scholarship chance, would impact so many of them.

ahhh

so you are assuming there is illegal money being spread under the table. Then the D-league is a terrible option.