PDA

View Full Version : Colangelo Admits to Tanking

JasonJohnHorn
03-01-2014, 10:07 AM
http://prosportsdaily.com/Headlines/ExternalArticle?articleId=292949

The funny thing is, the Raptors only had the 7th worst record. Apparently Coangelo even sucks at tanking!

Thanks for wasting a season for Terrence Ross @$$#ole! It was SO worth it!

So will this admission impact whether or not he gets a job? Or how the NBA treats the draft?

KniCks4LiFe
03-01-2014, 11:55 AM
See this is what I'm talking about w/ the tanking in the NBA. This **** needs to stop.

He almost pretty much ended Terrance Ross' and DeRozan's young career. And the thing is this happening in other places too.

BoSox47
03-01-2014, 11:58 AM
Celtics need to tank to get wiggins, embiid, parker, exum or smart. Id be content with vonleh or maybe randle though.

BoSox47
03-01-2014, 11:59 AM
See this is what I'm talking about w/ the tanking in the NBA. This **** needs to stop.

He almost pretty much ended Terrance Ross' and DeRozan's young career. And the thing is this happening in other places too.

happens in the nfl as well, schedule is just shorter so less amount of time is spent tanking so it doesnt go as noticed.

KniCks4LiFe
03-01-2014, 12:19 PM
happens in the nfl as well, schedule is just shorter so less amount of time is spent tanking so it doesnt go as noticed.

I know it does but they were in the lotto 4 yrs. in a row. [you realize that's 4-6 yrs. on low expectation basketball]

The year prior to this they draft Hibbert and send him packing to Indy.
They draft DeRozan
They draft Ed Davis
They draft Jonas
They draft T.Ross

all of that and to have a GM who traded TJ Ford [who inj. got that guy unfortunately] for a C they didn't need in J.O'neal. They then drafted quality players, had a terrible coach [Triano], and went 3-4 yrs. w/ that? Ujiri arrives in May last year and all the sudden dumps that fool for [Casey] and presto! a competitive basketball team. And Ujiri in 2014 put the pressure on his players to produce, gets everything out of that trade [Gay] and actually keeps a competitive should have been allstar PG in Lowry and there's the turn around.

But there are teams trying to do the opposite thinking they are going to become the next OKC.

JasonJohnHorn
03-01-2014, 12:29 PM
I know it does but they were in the lotto 4 yrs. in a row. [you realize that's 4-6 yrs. on low expectation basketball]

The year prior to this they draft Hibbert and send him packing to Indy.
They draft DeRozan
They draft Ed Davis
They draft Jonas
They draft T.Ross

all of that and to have a GM who traded TJ Ford [who inj. got that guy unfortunately] for a C they didn't need in J.O'neal. They then drafted quality players, had a terrible coach [Triano], and went 3-4 yrs. w/ that? Ujiri arrives in May last year and all the sudden dumps that fool for [Casey] and presto! a competitive basketball team. And Ujiri in 2014 put the pressure on his players to produce, gets everything out of that trade [Gay] and actually keeps a competitive should have been allstar PG in Lowry and there's the turn around.

But there are teams trying to do the opposite thinking they are going to become the next OKC.

Excellent analysis. I think Ujiri is lucky that the east is so historically bad, but yeah, put together a winner.

Ross, DMDR, Jonas and Davis is not worth4 or 5 years of lottery seasons.

It doesn't help to tank if you have a $#!TTY GM that coudl have put together a front court featuring Bosh, Hibbert and Granger, but instead put up Jonas, Davis and Barngani.

KniCks4LiFe
03-01-2014, 12:30 PM
And now it's made aware to me Ujiri didn't even sign Casey as coach. So think about this, that man was so busy tanking for the NBA lotto that he didn't even notice the impact his coach was having on his team.

KniCks4LiFe
03-01-2014, 12:38 PM
Excellent analysis. I think Ujiri is lucky that the east is so historically bad, but yeah, put together a winner.

Ross, DMDR, Jonas and Davis is not worth4 or 5 years of lottery seasons.

It doesn't help to tank if you have a $#!TTY GM that coudl have put together a front court featuring Bosh, Hibbert and Granger, but instead put up Jonas, Davis and Barngani.

You know what I didn't even take that into consideration. But yeh. The East is so historically bad that Ujiri basically comes out looking like a freaking guru here.

All Ujiri did was trade Bargnani to a fool [**** you Steve Mills] and traded Gay. That's all he really did.

But Ross, DMDR, Jonas, Davis, that's what they got for 4-5 yrs. of tank basketball. And Ed Davis was traded away for [Calderon, Gay, Haddaddi] damn Brian Colangelo, you were horrible. [seriously that is atrocious]

Jamiecballer
03-01-2014, 12:45 PM
he's just angling for another job. face it, admitting that you are not above tanking is something to put on your resume these days. that's how ****ed up this league is becoming.

KniCks4LiFe
03-01-2014, 01:41 PM
he's just angling for another job. face it, admitting that you are not above tanking is something to put on your resume these days. that's how ****ed up this league is becoming.

Exactly.

FriedTofuz
03-01-2014, 02:01 PM
He's just bitter cus he got fired.

Sactown
03-01-2014, 02:10 PM
This is proof the tanking isn't an issue... He tried to tank and walked away with T Ross who isn't a franchise changer... Tanking hardly works and usually the player they received isn't worth the season they threw away... Plus the players and coaches aren't tanking so I don't have a problem with this.

FlakeyFool
03-01-2014, 02:58 PM
So Terrence Ross isnt a bad player...

nastynice
03-01-2014, 03:00 PM
The funny thing is, the Raptors only had the 7th worst record. Apparently Coangelo even sucks at tanking!

:laugh::laugh:

RipCity32
03-01-2014, 03:38 PM
I'm very thankful to B.C for letting us take Drummond.

smith&wesson
03-01-2014, 04:14 PM
This is proof the tanking isn't an issue... He tried to tank and walked away with T Ross who isn't a franchise changer... Tanking hardly works and usually the player they received isn't worth the season they threw away... Plus the players and coaches aren't tanking so I don't have a problem with this.

+1

JasonJohnHorn
03-01-2014, 09:07 PM

This is proof that it IS an issue. It clearly demonstrates that even if the coaching staff and players are trying to win, the front office will intentionally make moves to impede their performances.

All it proves is that for Coangelo, it didn't and fans had to sit through a some bad years for Coangelo to get higher picks. It proves it doesn't work, but it DOESN'T prove that it's not a problem. Quite the opposite. It demonstrates that it IS happening.

And if he intentionally tried to tank and was only the 7th worst in the league, imagine what the other six teams were doing.

sammyvine
03-01-2014, 09:12 PM

but thats because they picked poorly

look at the thunder..they clearly tanked and walked away with durant, westbrook and harden, because Presti is a great GM.

But you are right though, it fails more than it works. Look at the cavs since lebron left. They have had 2 number 1 and two number 4 picks and they are still rubbish.

sammyvine
03-01-2014, 09:15 PM
This is proof that it IS an issue. It clearly demonstrates that even if the coaching staff and players are trying to win, the front office will intentionally make moves to impede their performances.

All it proves is that for Coangelo, it didn't and fans had to sit through a some bad years for Coangelo to get higher picks. It proves it doesn't work, but it DOESN'T prove that it's not a problem. Quite the opposite. It demonstrates that it IS happening.

And if he intentionally tried to tank and was only the 7th worst in the league, imagine what the other six teams were doing.

Tanking is clearly a problem

Look at the 76ers. Removing all their decent players, traded Holiday to prepare for the tank and are losing games miserably. They are a bad team talent wise but I have no doubt they are not putting 100% effort so they can gain a higher draft place.

Look at Boston. I read Celtics fans saying they don't want Rondo playing many games because they fear that if he plays he may lead them to wins which will effect their draft position.
It may not work for teams but it is a problem. It's not good for the NBA. Before the season started we all predicted the 76ers would tank and they are. I really think something needs to be done.

SeoulBeatz
03-01-2014, 09:39 PM
http://prosportsdaily.com/Headlines/ExternalArticle?articleId=292949

Thanks for wasting a season for Terrence Ross @$$#ole! It was SO worth it!

So will this admission impact whether or not he gets a job? Or how the NBA treats the draft?

If he were a better GM, he would've picked Drummond. I remember during that draft, I was positive Drummond was going to be a Raptor, no way he'd make it past them. It was a painfully obvious pick, but then they went ahead and got Ross????

I'll never understand that one, not saying Ross is a bad player, but could you imagine Drummond on this Raps team and how they're playing?

John Walls Era
03-02-2014, 02:07 AM
tanking is an art.

JasonJohnHorn
03-02-2014, 03:33 AM
If he were a better GM, he would've picked Drummond. I remember during that draft, I was positive Drummond was going to be a Raptor, no way he'd make it past them. It was a painfully obvious pick, but then they went ahead and got Ross????

I'll never understand that one, not saying Ross is a bad player, but could you imagine Drummond on this Raps team and how they're playing?

I remember that draft. Drummond was considered a 'gamble' by everybody. He was a 'project'. He could rebound and defend, but he was viewed, for good reason, as inept on the offensive end.

I love Drummond and I think he has a bright future, but remember, the numbers he's putting up are on a lottery team in the East. If he were on a contender, he'd be sent to the line 20 times a night, and he'd get into foul trouble, and he'd impede the offense.

There are similarities between Drummond and Reggie Evans. They are both masters at rebounding and great hustle players, but teams were worried that Drummond raw talent might take too long to develop, or that it might not develop at all. And liek Evans, Drummond isn't always an effective player on offense. He's better than Evans for sure, but he's not as rounded an offensive player as contender would need him to be. It's not like Ben Wallace who at least knew where to be and how to set a pick and such. Drummond doesn't have that kind of awareness yet.

Drummond was a risk for sure.

And I think he was high on Jonas being their center. He didn't want two starting C's.

That said.. I have NO clue why he picked Ross when he had DeRozen? That made no sense.

Chrisclover
03-02-2014, 06:19 AM
Finally there is a source to answer my "Did any GM admit they were tanking "thread

Game_Over
03-02-2014, 12:03 PM
If you want to fix tanking fix the NBA! You have about six teams with a hope to win it all every year and two maybe three teams with a real chance. How are the lower or mid market teams suppose to have a chance? They can't get FA`s, they can't trade for a good player all the good players say they won't play there. So the only way is to get lucky in the draft and you don't think a smart GM knows this and wants to save his job? Want to fix the NBA quit letting the players run the league, that is the real problem!!

PatsSoxKnicks
03-02-2014, 07:14 PM
Mike Zarren's wheel idea for fixing tanking was really intriguing. Unfortunately Adam Silver said there were owners that were resistant to the idea because players could just wait an extra year if they didn't want to go to a certain team. But apparently it had some good traction in the league. I think that could be fixed by having like a lottery within each set of 5 teams. Anyways, wish I had asked some of the execs I talked to about that. Oh well.

Raps18-19 Champ
03-02-2014, 07:31 PM
The bigger issue is that he didn't pick Drummond.

NBA_Starter
03-02-2014, 07:51 PM
That would be a tough pill to swallow as a Raptors fan.

sunsfan88
03-07-2014, 02:52 AM
You can't just "get" a winning culture. A coach doesnt say to his team "hey we're going to try to lose this year, but next year, we're going to get a winning culture!" Not only does that send the wrong message to the players, it also loses the coach all credibility.

No. A winning culture is developed over time, through hard work, and a blue-collar mentality. Not the mentality of a spoilt kid who purposely crashes his Mercedes because his Daddy is going to buy him a new one.

kingsdelez24
03-07-2014, 09:49 AM
Looool I remember he went after Ross so he can coax Nash into coming because he was a young athletic wing that could thrive next to him with the rest of the team

Guppyfighter
03-07-2014, 10:05 AM
Sounds like an excuse for building **** teams.

RipCity32
03-07-2014, 12:08 PM

Didn't he build the team you guys have right now? I mean Ujirii did trade Gay which was the biggest factor to your success but its still B.C. s roster right now.

kingsdelez24
03-07-2014, 01:33 PM

Didn't he build the team you guys have right now? I mean Ujirii did trade Gay which was the biggest factor to your success but its still B.C. s roster right now.

Bssically. That trade was supposed to be to free cap space with expiring contracts and to downgrade so they can tank. Now people are calling him a savior when he hasn't really done much

Raps18-19 Champ
03-07-2014, 01:40 PM
At least he has the integrity to admit it unlike other people.

Guppyfighter
03-07-2014, 07:30 PM
Bssically. That trade was supposed to be to free cap space with expiring contracts and to downgrade so they can tank. Now people are calling him a savior when he hasn't really done much

Trading Gay was not supposed to be a downgrade for the Raps.

kingsdelez24
03-07-2014, 08:07 PM

Trading Gay was not supposed to be a downgrade for the Raps.

Every single player that the kings traded to get gay we're all awful. Patterson and Salmons were throwing bricks left and right. Hayes played 10 minutes a game, and Vasquez was slow to recover from surgery. They wanted expirings and tank commanders, instead they all got their ***** together and became good contributors

Aust
03-07-2014, 08:29 PM
Celtics need to tank to get wiggins, embiid, parker, exum or smart. Id be content with vonleh or maybe randle though.

We get Wiggins, you get Parker. Two new faces for the franchises and the rivalry is reborn!

Sandman
03-07-2014, 08:48 PM
I think with the amount of griping in the news lately there will be a change down the line.

To me there are two easy ways to fix this. Give all lottery teams the same amount of balls, or use the current system but on all 14 picks.

There are two things in play here. One is that 1 man can change your whole team because it is a 5 man sport. This also contributes to the difference between the 1st pick and the 15th pick which leads to the next point. The other thing is how hopeless it is to be in the middle of the pack contributes to the all-or-nothing mentality. It is hard to build and get incrementally better because at the end of the day you still need to find a way to have the best players on the court and 99% of the time thats only through the lottery or nuking cap space.

Raps18-19 Champ
03-07-2014, 08:56 PM
I think with the amount of griping in the news lately there will be a change down the line.

To me there are two easy ways to fix this. Give all lottery teams the same amount of balls, or use the current system but on all 14 picks.

There was a time when all lottery teams had the same % to win and the lottery was done live. Everyone called rigged.

Raps18-19 Champ
03-07-2014, 08:57 PM
Considering that he admitted to tanking and that he ended up landing in the 8th spot, there's not really a need to fix tanking.

Guppyfighter
03-07-2014, 10:54 PM
Every single player that the kings traded to get gay we're all awful. Patterson and Salmons were throwing bricks left and right. Hayes played 10 minutes a game, and Vasquez was slow to recover from surgery. They wanted expirings and tank commanders, instead they all got their ***** together and became good contributors

Getting rid of Gay was a plus. That's why it was not a tanking move. And the guys they got are all OK role players.

Which they integrated into their system on purpose.

Sandman
03-07-2014, 11:05 PM
There was a time when all lottery teams had the same % to win and the lottery was done live. Everyone called rigged.

thats beside the point though people will always call rigged