PDA

View Full Version : What happened to Ben Gordon?

poleandreel
03-01-2014, 05:01 AM
Is it playing for poor teams and poor coaches that don't know how to use him?

He is a career 40% 3pt shooter, high 80s free throw shooter, and mostly all of his rate stats have stayed the same. I get that he is probably awful defensively but there are players with much less skill than him who are consistent rotation players.

I find it hard to believe that a guy who is only 30 years old, whose game is not based on athleticism (he was never lightening fast or a high flyer), who still has similar rate stats to his career averages, is a former 21ppg scorer on 57% true shooting (elite), and who dropped 42 points on the great 2008 Celtics defense in the playoffs, is a scrub now deserving of zero playing time.

Or maybe I'm mistaken?

D_Rose1118
03-01-2014, 05:25 AM
agree, makes no sense

He was undersized and lost some of his quickness
which for small players is a deathblow

effen5
03-01-2014, 06:00 AM
Makes 100 percent to me. He wanted to get paid, he got paid and now he's a lazy bum.

sunsfan88
03-01-2014, 06:01 AM
He used to be good when he played with a PG that didn't completely suck (Derrick Rose). I still remember Gordon hitting all those amazing 3s in that playoff series against Boston in Rose's rookie season.

He should have stayed in Chicago even if it meant taking a slight paycut...Bulls would have done great things with a shooter like him paired with Rose. Plus Rose would have been the best PG he could have played with.

Chronz
03-01-2014, 06:04 AM
Dude hasn't scored at an above average rate (Efficiency wise) in YEARS.

Granted that came when he left Chicago but he was in the perfect system there. He doesn't require the ball to be effective but he does require a specific offense where he can run off pindowns and endless flair screens . True he may not rely on athletic ability but hes still declined alot over the years.

GoferKing_
03-01-2014, 06:47 AM
Big check, bad coach, bad team, bad system. End of story.

tmacsc2
03-01-2014, 08:07 AM
Got paid, sucked, went to Charlotte. Hahahahaha

MrfadeawayJB
03-01-2014, 10:00 AM
Had the same problems Jason terry had this season. Only difference is jet has better playmaking ability and quickness so he was able to delay his decline. Gordon wasn't so lucky

kobebabe
03-01-2014, 05:46 PM
Nothing happened to him. He just doing what most of them do after they get the big pay...sit their butts on the huge paycheck

Asik's better
03-01-2014, 07:12 PM
He went to Detroit, that's what happened

D-Leethal
03-01-2014, 08:24 PM
Clutch beast, I remember we had a home-and-home a few years back with Chicago and he drilled the game winning buzzer beater in both games. Hit so many game winners against us writers would call it Madison Square Gordon when he came to town. That series against Boston where KG was hurt is still one of the favorites all time.

D-Leethal
03-01-2014, 08:30 PM
Dude hasn't scored at an above average rate (Efficiency wise) in YEARS.

Granted that came when he left Chicago but he was in the perfect system there. He doesn't require the ball to be effective but he does require a specific offense where he can run off pindowns and endless flair screens . True he may not rely on athletic ability but hes still declined alot over the years.

His style of play and the proper way to utilize him doesn't really lend itself to pretty efficiency stats. Constantly running through endless screens, like you said, has a great impact on your team spacing and ability to run misdirection plays so he is a guy who is effective even when the shots aren't falling, and its hard to score efficiently when your role is to constantly navigate screens, making defenders chase you and launching curl bombs when its swings your way.

I do agree he has declined, but I needed to let that out before guys come in here and piggy back off your post calling him an inefficient chucker and disrespecting his game. I know that wasn't the intention of your post, and I agree with everything you said.

abe_froman
03-01-2014, 08:35 PM
destination and declined-
he went from a team that was perfectly fit for him,needed exactly what he brought and could cover his weaknesses ,to going to a disastrous pistons mess ,and to charlotte where he was just lost.

ontop of just the look of him and seeing how he declined,which i think is more mental than physical.i remember when he was in college and we had him he had the tag on him was that he didnt have a natural motor/wasnt always motivated,that coaches needed to coax motivation and fire from him(usually by benching him or making games about a duel between him v. a star,ect.) for him to really get up to perform.maybe the years of losing has taken that fire out of him.

in the right circumstances i think he could still be useful ,but i dunno where that would be or if they'd even give him a chance.

Chronz
03-02-2014, 01:45 AM
His style of play and the proper way to utilize him doesn't really lend itself to pretty efficiency stats.
Wouldn't you compare that style to Reggie Miller/Ray Allen light? 2 of the most efficient offensive players to ever lace them up.

One thing I find funny is that these guys tend to be light of build and pretty weak defensively in most situations, often needing to be paired with bigger guards to cross match opponents (Rip and Chauncey often switched positions defensively), with BG, he was at his best alongside Hinrich, and in his final days in Detroit, alongside Tmac, Tmac could run the offense and BG could play the 2 without having to defend the position.

Constantly running through endless screens, like you said, has a great impact on your team spacing and ability to run misdirection plays so he is a guy who is effective even when the shots aren't falling, and its hard to score efficiently when your role is to constantly navigate screens, making defenders chase you and launching curl bombs when its swings your way.

It does have its value, I remember Richard Hamilton not being very efficient himself but his off the ball threat allowed Rose/Billups to maximize their own efficiency. Its just there gets a point where teams no longer care what you do, BG had reached that point.

I do agree he has declined, but I needed to let that out before guys come in here and piggy back off your post calling him an inefficient chucker and disrespecting his game. I know that wasn't the intention of your post, and I agree with everything you said.

You bring up an interesting point though, if you're going to be less efficient than your peers, is it best to be the kind of guy who constantly moves around shooting the ball ala BG/Rip or the kind of guy who relentlessly drives to the rim, both collapse defense and present their teams chances for offensive rebounding. I guess it can vary player to player depending on just how much of a threat they are if they are left undefended but I feel like guys who chuck from midrange off isolation with little ball movement are less likely to warp defenses.

KnicksorBust
03-02-2014, 02:03 AM
No d. No passing. Doesnt fit the NEW nba. Try again chump

GiantsSwaGG
03-02-2014, 02:32 AM
He's a chucker who isn't good at chucking anymore

KniCks4LiFe
03-02-2014, 01:13 PM
@johnschuhmann: The Bobcats just waived Ben Gordon, a day too late for him to be playoff eligible with another team.”
MJ is cold blooded, but I feel him on this.

Jamiecballer
03-02-2014, 01:31 PM
Ben Gordon was never a particularly complete player. Then all of a sudden he got the big paycheck and he was expected to be. Irrational but true story.

black1605
03-02-2014, 03:52 PM
Brian Windhorst ‏@WindhorstESPN 3h
Ben Gordon tried to get buyout from Bobcats but couldn't line up a deal. So they waived him today, 1 day after buyout deadline for playoffs

Brian Windhorst ‏@WindhorstESPN 2h
Waiving Gordon on a Sunday morning the day after buyout deadline is a pretty effective yet passive insult.

Thanks for the draft pick.

kozelkid
03-02-2014, 04:00 PM
I'm not sure why to be honest. As abe alluded earlier, he was quite efficient in the role he played for with the bulls: a deadly shooter who can score 20 ppg in an efficient manner. On a great team, he could have been an elite sixth man.

The thing is, while he was with the Bulls, he always had the reputation of being an incredibly hard-working player. I suppose going to a such a toxic environment as the Pistons were at the time, combined with the injuries starting to occur, probably took away the passion he once had and obviously that wasn't going to improve in Charlotte.

He clearly burned bridges in Chicago, so I don't see that happening ever again, but I think a team like SA or Indiana would be an ideal opportunity for him to get back to what he once was or something relatively close.

NBA_Starter
03-02-2014, 08:52 PM
I have heard that he has an undisclosed injury and that it is pretty serious so that could be it.