PDA

View Full Version : Best Use of a First overall pick in league history

Jeffy25
03-01-2014, 02:34 AM
What is the best use of a first overall pick in a franchises history?

Wether that is trading that first overall a way and getting great value, or drafting a guy that gives his organization great value either through an eventual trade, or through his own personal performance and assistance to his team.

lamzoka
03-01-2014, 02:39 AM
Kwame Brown :hide:

Method28
03-01-2014, 02:47 AM
Id have to say the Admiral. His wonderful career, leadership and mentorship of Duncan carried his value to the Spurs well past his playing days.

Baller1
03-01-2014, 02:52 AM
Never had the first overall pick, but I'd say Seattle hit on two of the best #2 picks of all time in Payton & KD.

abe_froman
03-01-2014, 02:53 AM

Wether that is trading that first overall a way and getting great value, or drafting a guy that gives his organization great value either through an eventual trade, or through his own personal performance and assistance to his team.
good question-
kareem-gave the bucks the only title in franchise history,but left after a few years
hakeem-see above and add another title
magic-resurrected the franchise into a dynasty and helped in shaping how the lakers were seen ever after(minus this year)
tim duncan-built a dynasty around
or boston trading theirs for parish and mchale

i'll say the magic johnson pick is the answer

Baller1
03-01-2014, 02:55 AM
Nevermind, misread the question. My bad.

JEDean89
03-01-2014, 02:56 AM
Tim Duncan gave the Spurs 4 titles, 5 Finals appearances, and like 18 years of straight playoffs and overall league domination.

Best pick ever was Dwayne Wade, cause that led to Dwayne, Bosh and Lebron.

Hawkeye15
03-01-2014, 02:57 AM
LeBron

mngopher35
03-01-2014, 02:57 AM

Magic, Duncan, Hakeem, Lebron come to mind as top talents. Hakeem was chosen over Jordan though. Lebron went to Miami after 8 years so he's out.

I am going to go with Duncan but Magic makes sense too.

Jeffy25
03-01-2014, 02:59 AM
LeBron

Lebron didn't offer the Cavs very much value compared to like the Admiral

Tim Duncan gave the Spurs 4 titles, 5 Finals appearances, and like 18 years of straight playoffs and overall league domination.

Best pick ever was Dwayne Wade, cause that led to Dwayne, Bosh and Lebron.

Dwayne Wade wasn't a first overall pick

alexander_37
03-01-2014, 03:07 AM
Hakeem or Robinson.

TrueFan420
03-01-2014, 03:08 AM
LeBron

Lebron didn't win the cavs a ring or stay there long term. He's a great player but not in how this question is framed.

P&GRealist
03-01-2014, 03:12 AM
Magic Johnson

FraziersKnicks
03-01-2014, 03:17 AM
Magic or Timmy

Hawkeye15
03-01-2014, 03:41 AM
By parameters, Jordan was the best draft pick ever easily

abe_froman
03-01-2014, 04:02 AM

wasnt a number 1

Matter.
03-01-2014, 04:10 AM
Some people just don't read the OP

poleandreel
03-01-2014, 04:17 AM
Gotta be Timmy D.

Bruno
03-01-2014, 04:19 AM
magic.

jaydubb
03-01-2014, 04:28 AM
Magic then Tim Duncan.. Magic won 5 chips in his short career, Timmy isn't done yet and has 4.

Hawkeye15
03-01-2014, 04:44 AM
best #1 pick ever is LeBron then. Magic a close 2nd

mngopher35
03-01-2014, 04:51 AM

This thread is about who got the best value out of their 1st pick though (I think). While Lebron might be the best player/pick he left Cleveland after 8 years with 0 rings. Even if this has more to do with the supporting cast I don't think he can really be considered.

Jeffy25
03-01-2014, 05:27 AM

Lebron didn't give the Cavs what Magic gave the Lakers, or Duncan or Robinson gave the Spurts, or what Hakeem gave the Rockets etc.

Lebron isn't really in this conversation

Tony_Starks
03-01-2014, 06:36 AM
Magic Johnson

bagwell368
03-01-2014, 07:05 AM
How about Joe Barry Carroll?

Joe Barry Carroll = Kevin McHale & Robert Parish

3 titles, 2 HOF'ers, 235.4 Win Shares vs 0 titles and 35.6 Win Shares, and a jamoke

Wins the sow's ear to the silk purse award at the very least.

Heediot
03-01-2014, 07:12 AM
Duncan. Gave the original team he drafted 15 plus quality years and 4 rings. End of argument.

Magic, Hakeem get honorable mention. The former could of been number 1 had he played longer.

R. Johnson#3
03-01-2014, 08:51 AM
Andrea Bargnani. His primo pasta commercial was great!

phoenix_bladen
03-01-2014, 09:30 AM
It's crazy to think of how few first overall picks like Duncan stay with there teams therer whole careers and actually wins rings with them.

U look at the past 20 years I think Duncan is really the only one of the few.

And then u factor in how many teams try to tank for that first overall pick.

Wow the odds are really so small...

jericho
03-01-2014, 10:08 AM

Wow hawkeye!!!! I know you are a good poster and you are cool but c'mon dude not everything is about Lebron.

JasonJohnHorn
03-01-2014, 10:34 AM
First picks usually leave, so Wilt, Shaq, Kareem and others like them are great players, but didn't help out the franchises as much with the exception of Kareem.

I'd say: Jordan, Hakeem, D-Rob, and Duncan were the best first picks over the last 30 years and throw Magic in there if you want to go back a little further.

It is hard to evaluate this. Magic and Jordan not only help their teams win a combined 11 championships, they also made them the most profitable teams in league history. The Bulls made of 60% of the league's revenue when he was in his prime. That is amazing. Magic and the Lakers made a lot of money as well.

A pick like D-Rob or Duncan or Hakeem, all help you win an build a franchise, and they all help you make more money, but they aren't marketable like Jordan and Magic.

LBJ made the Cavs hugely profitable. Kobe has done the same for the Lakers and Yao Ming did it for the Rockets. You get a guy who is as popular and exciting as Vicne Carter was early on, who can ALSO make you a winner AND sticks around, THEN you not only win, you make money hand over fist, and these teams are all businesses first. Does Knicks management care that they haven't won a title since the 70's when they are the second most profitable team? The money rolling in makes it easy to swallow.

So considering winning and profit, Jordan was easily the best first pick EVER. Then Magic, though I wouldn't argue with anybody who had it the other way around.

Heediot
03-01-2014, 10:46 AM
First picks usually leave, so Wilt, Shaq, Kareem and others like them are great players, but didn't help out the franchises as much with the exception of Kareem.

I'd say: Jordan, Hakeem, D-Rob, and Duncan were the best first picks over the last 30 years and throw Magic in there if you want to go back a little further.

It is hard to evaluate this. Magic and Jordan not only help their teams win a combined 11 championships, they also made them the most profitable teams in league history. The Bulls made of 60% of the league's revenue when he was in his prime. That is amazing. Magic and the Lakers made a lot of money as well.

A pick like D-Rob or Duncan or Hakeem, all help you win an build a franchise, and they all help you make more money, but they aren't marketable like Jordan and Magic.

LBJ made the Cavs hugely profitable. Kobe has done the same for the Lakers and Yao Ming did it for the Rockets. You get a guy who is as popular and exciting as Vicne Carter was early on, who can ALSO make you a winner AND sticks around, THEN you not only win, you make money hand over fist, and these teams are all businesses first. Does Knicks management care that they haven't won a title since the 70's when they are the second most profitable team? The money rolling in makes it easy to swallow.

So considering winning and profit, Jordan was easily the best first pick EVER. Then Magic, though I wouldn't argue with anybody who had it the other way around.

Jordan was third overall, the thread is about 1st overall picks not the first pick of multiple first rounders.

BALLER R
03-01-2014, 11:25 AM
y'all gotta read sometimes and not just jump into a thread

Shlumpledink
03-01-2014, 11:59 AM
Magic Johnson lead to 5 championships with the Lakers, pretty damn special.

Without Hakeem Olajuwon (drafted over jordan and the immortal sam bowie) the rockets don't win those two championships

JasonJohnHorn
03-01-2014, 12:25 PM
Jordan was third overall, the thread is about 1st overall picks not the first pick of multiple first rounders.

If you want to get into semantics, then let's do that.

A team's first overall pick in a draft would be the first pick they have in that draft.

Jordan was the Bulls first over all pick int eh 1984 draft.

But if you really want to get into semantics, then you could also argue that a team's first overall pick would be the first pick they ever made. For the Raptors, that would be Damon Stoudemire. The Grizzlies would be Big Country Reeves.

Now, having said that, is it really worth getting into a semantic argument when we are talking about basketball? You want to point out that the way I read isn't consistent with the intent? Then talk to the OP about the syntax of HIS post.

Sherlock saw the man using binoculars.
I like ambiguity more than most people.

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_NgmcD_reebM/R9Ot2ud6m7I/AAAAAAAAAGU/SRqjlIMi_zU/s400/sherlock_lores.jpg

Heediot
03-01-2014, 12:35 PM

A team's first overall pick in a draft would be the first pick they have in that draft.

But if you really want to get into semantics, then you could also argue that a team's first overall pick would be the first pick they ever made. For the Raptors, that would be Damon Stoudemire. The Grizzlies would be Big Country Reeves.

Now, having said that, is it really worth getting into a semantic argument when we are talking about basketball? You want to point out that the way I read isn't consistent with the intent? Then talk to the OP about the syntax of HIS post.

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_NgmcD_reebM/R9Ot2ud6m7I/AAAAAAAAAGU/SRqjlIMi_zU/s400/sherlock_lores.jpg

LOLOL. Going by your definition and view of the thread, it would be obvious to everyone it was Jordan. Why even make a thread for such an obvious answer? Do you ever see a thread of who is the best player of all time?

I guess everyone else in the thread giving first overall picks are misguided huh?

TorontoHuskies
03-01-2014, 12:59 PM
Wiggins this year...after toronto trades Derozan + Ross + their 1st for him

airforceones25
03-01-2014, 01:02 PM
Potentially Blake Griffin?

If not for landing Griffin there's never CP3 or Doc Rivers.

They continue to be a laughing stock of the league with a piss poor owner..

By drafting Griffin it has single handedly changed the Clippers fortunes for the foreseeable future. Which is outstanding by itself considering the years of misery..

beyourself
03-01-2014, 01:35 PM
Tim Duncan.

Hulk6
03-01-2014, 02:07 PM
Potentially Blake Griffin?

If not for landing Griffin there's never CP3 or Doc Rivers.

They continue to be a laughing stock of the league with a piss poor owner..

By drafting Griffin it has single handedly changed the Clippers fortunes for the foreseeable future. Which is outstanding by itself considering the years of misery..

people will laugh at this but its actually a legit point, what were the clippers before Blake?

blams
03-01-2014, 02:15 PM

This isn't semantics. Who are the best first overall picks of all time? Not second. ..not third, etc.

Lakers + Giants
03-01-2014, 02:17 PM
Kareem
Magic
Lebron
Duncan

Any of those.

beyourself
03-01-2014, 02:24 PM
Kareem
Magic
Lebron
Duncan

Any of those.

No. Cleveland didn't get their money's worth out of that.

Vinylman
03-01-2014, 02:44 PM

exactly, how this isn't everyone's answer is mind boggling. I am assuming they mean first round pick

If it is the #1 then it is either magic or duncan

Bruno
03-01-2014, 02:45 PM

no way man. LBJ bailed on the Cavs and their net worth as a franchise plummeted. The Cavs never won a game in the finals under his reign either (that not being his fault doesn't matter). Magic created a winning tradition in los angeles, brought show time with him and helped to make the Lakers a billion dollar organization. its easily magic, then Duncan. i don't think lebron is in the conversation either.

whyumadbro!
03-01-2014, 02:50 PM
Lebron: may have produced no ring but ask Dan Gilbert how his franchise value has risen since drafting bron. Not sure anyone was able to do that for a team besides Jordan - or maybe Kobe but the Lakers value is pretty much high with or without him.

airforceones25
03-01-2014, 03:01 PM
Lebron: may have produced no ring but ask Dan Gilbert how his franchise value has risen since drafting bron. Not sure anyone was able to do that for a team besides Jordan - or maybe Kobe but the Lakers value is pretty much high with or without him.

Which is another reason why I mention Blake Griffin..

The Clippers value has grown nearly identical to that of Cavs, yet it took the Clippers 6 less years to attain that. An assuredly the Clippers will keep going up. Blake is certainly not the best overall pick by any means. However, what he's created in such a short amount of time for a team historically as bad the Clippers makes him potentially a favorite for this thread IMO...

sammyvine
03-01-2014, 03:04 PM
LeBron

Your so in love with Lebron lol

sammyvine
03-01-2014, 03:05 PM

Tim Duncan and Magic have better cases

Ezio
03-01-2014, 03:09 PM
Having read the op's question, I have to go with Timmy. Don't think the Spurs have missed the playoffs with him on the team.

NoahH
03-01-2014, 03:16 PM
LeBron

+1

kdspurman
03-01-2014, 03:24 PM
Having read the op's question, I have to go with Timmy. Don't think the Spurs have missed the playoffs with him on the team.

They actually just clinched their 17th consecutive winning season with last nights win, and if they did it again next year would tie the record of 18 (I believe the Jazz have that record). To always have a team that can contend I think often gets overlooked by some. When you consider some of other great teams of the late 90's/2000's and look at where they are (or how they struggled at some point or another), and to see the Spurs still playing at a high level is incredibly impressive.

To touch on the question, most have already hit on what I think:

Dream
Magic
D-Rob
Timmy

I actually think Ewing deserves some love. I know he didn't bring them a ring (thanks to MJ/Hakeem), but the Knicks were always competitive, and fans can appreciate their team playing like that even if it doesn't result in a ring. They were tough and fun to watch

Tony_Starks
03-01-2014, 03:48 PM
If you really read original question the only two answers are really Magic or Duncan. First they were actual # 1 picks, both were franchise players that stayed their whole careers, both brought multiple chips to the city.

I still roll with Magic. The success he accomplished speaks for itself. Then he took the franchise to another level in terms of legacy, dynasty, AND entertainment. And to this day he's still Mr Laker. As great as Timmy is I'm pretty sure when he retires he's going to chill and enjoy his privacy.

You can't do more for a franchise as a #1 pick than Magic did IMO.

beyourself
03-01-2014, 03:51 PM
If you really read original question the only two answers are really Magic or Duncan. First they were actual # 1 picks, both were franchise players that stayed their whole careers, both brought multiple chips to the city.

I still roll with Magic. The success he accomplished speaks for itself. Then he took the franchise to another level in terms of legacy, dynasty, AND entertainment. And to this day he's still Mr Laker. As great as Timmy is I'm pretty sure when he retires he's going to chill and enjoy his privacy.

I think Duncan gave more on the court to his franchise but you are right. Magic embodies Lakers.

THE MTL
03-01-2014, 03:54 PM

Semantics? Wtf are you talking about? What are you on? This isn't Suits or House of Cards where you shew words and be politically correct. The thread said who are the best FIRST OVERALL picks. Period. Stop being "that guy" nobody likes "that guy"

Jamiecballer
03-01-2014, 04:00 PM

:laugh:

he's right

abe_froman
03-01-2014, 04:00 PM
. The thread said who are the best FIRST OVERALL picks. Period. Stop being "that guy" nobody likes "that guy"
no it didnt,it says "best use of a first overall pick" ,meaning which team got the most of the first overall pick in the draft in terms of value to that franchise.something like joe barry carrol can be better answer than say shaq or lebron,because jbc(even though he was a bust)was traded for what became two hofer's and shaq/lebron left the team that drafted them

...i really cant understand the confusion by so many of the people in this thread,jeffy's post was very clear.

5ass
03-01-2014, 04:11 PM
Great thread.

JordansBulls
03-01-2014, 04:11 PM

You realize Kareem was a #1 pick to right and Hakeem and Duncan???

JordansBulls
03-01-2014, 04:13 PM

It would have to be Tim Duncan. 4 Titles, 5 finals appearances and now 17-18 years in the league and gave the franchise it's only titles.

Hawkeye15
03-01-2014, 04:28 PM
This thread is about who got the best value out of their 1st pick though (I think). While Lebron might be the best player/pick he left Cleveland after 8 years with 0 rings. Even if this has more to do with the supporting cast I don't think he can really be considered.

I see, then I select Duncan, with Magic a close 2nd. If we are talking about a #1 selection whose contributions with that team, there are really only 2 choices.

5ass
03-01-2014, 04:39 PM
I see, then I select Duncan, with Magic a close 2nd. If we are talking about a #1 selection whose contributions with that team, there are really only 2 choices.

And hakeem?

Hawkeye15
03-01-2014, 04:45 PM
And hakeem?

those guys won 4-5 championships, and had ELITE teams every single year they played basically. Hakeem won 2 championships, missed the playoffs one season, and was knocked out of round 1 4-5 times.

Obviously roster support matters, but if we are talking about which #1 picks gave their team the best results, Duncan/Magic are really the only consideration. If Bill Russell had been the #1 pick, he is the answer, but he was the 2nd pick.

Teeboy1487
03-01-2014, 04:52 PM
Right now, Magic Johnson for me.

Walt
03-01-2014, 04:56 PM
I would have to say Tim Duncan.

WadeKobe
03-01-2014, 04:57 PM
Lebron didn't give the Cavs what Magic gave the Lakers, or Duncan or Robinson gave the Spurts, or what Hakeem gave the Rockets etc.

Lebron isn't really in this conversation

That is incorrect. By individual performance, LeBron gave the Cavs more wins in 7 years than any other first pick has given a team. The other teams' extra wins and championships were a product of other players, not the picks in question.

You seem willing to accept this in baseball, why the move to disregard it in basketball?

albertajaysfan
03-01-2014, 05:28 PM
That is incorrect. By individual performance, LeBron gave the Cavs more wins in 7 years than any other first pick has given a team. The other teams' extra wins and championships were a product of other players, not the picks in question.

You seem willing to accept this in baseball, why the move to disregard it in basketball?

The issue is that he was only around for 7 years as you mentioned in your post.

Duncan for winning and longevity.

I also think the DRob answer is well thought out in regards to mentoring Timmy.

Magic is there because of winning. He is 2nd though because of less time played and the stacked teams he played on.

In regards to the semantics of this thread. Admit you misread/are wrong instead of being an *ss about it. We all make mistakes. Online culture is so f'ed up.

DreamShaker
03-01-2014, 06:04 PM
For number one overall I think Duncan wins. 17 years and 4 titles. That longevity coupled with sucess is unmatched.

jericho
03-01-2014, 06:08 PM
. The thread said who are the best FIRST OVERALL picks. Period. Stop being "that guy" nobody likes "that guy"
no it didnt,it says "best use of a first overall pick" ,meaning which team got the most of the first overall pick in the draft in terms of value to that franchise.something like joe barry carrol can be better answer than say shaq or lebron,because jbc(even though he was a bust)was traded for what became two hofer's and shaq/lebron left the team that drafted them

...i really cant understand the confusion by so many of the people in this thread,jeffy's post was very clear.

If that's the way that he wanted it to be everybody's answer should be Michael Jordan and nothing else. C'mon please it's clear that he meant the 1st pick on the first round. Does he really has to paint a picture for this??? Why would he ask sorry why anyone ask a question that was that easy to answer???

Ese Vato Loco
03-01-2014, 06:31 PM
timmy d
:cheers:

abe_froman
03-01-2014, 06:35 PM
If that's the way that he wanted it to be everybody's answer should be Michael Jordan and nothing else. C'mon please it's clear that he meant the 1st pick on the first round. Does he really has to paint a picture for this??? Why would he ask sorry why anyone ask a question that was that easy to answer???

thats what first overall pick of the draft means,it means 1st of the draft...how is that confusing?:confused: jordan was the 3rd overall pick of the 1984 draft

Baller1
03-01-2014, 06:39 PM
Duncan for me.

GrumpyOldMan
03-01-2014, 07:41 PM
I'm going with the last #1 overall pick to win a championship with the team that drafted him and that's Tim Duncan. It's hard to believe how rarely teams actually build competitive teams around #1 overall picks. It seems teams either continue to struggle or that player either moves to another team or is traded. The Spurs really got their money's worth from Duncan.

ghettosean
03-01-2014, 07:47 PM
Flat out Tim Duncan there can't be much of a debate on drafting the best PF/C of all time who is still playing strong at 37 there can be no debate!

He would most likely have another ring and finals MVP had Pop not removed him from the last seconds of game 6 last year.

Timmy hands down!

Jeffy25
03-01-2014, 08:35 PM

But what we are discussing is what pick transformed the franchise the best.....even if additional moves followed, would those moves not have happened without that first overall pick and what happened?

Over in the MLB forum, we are having the same discussion, and Griffey is a good answer, even though he didn't spend his entire career with the M's, he both helped save the Mariners in Seattle, but he also gave them additional value after being traded for guys like Mike Cameron. The Mariners really improved dramatically because of his selection. More than maybe even Chipper gave the Braves.

The Admiral I believe also deserves some mention. He helped the Spurs get going too...but Duncan has him on this list

And the person who mentioned Griffin, that's a surprise choice, but there is some sense if the Clippers can pull some titles

It's not semantics, it's the question asked in the thread, did you just not read? I was referring specifically to first overall picks

Jordan wasn't a first overall pick

How about Joe Barry Carroll?

Joe Barry Carroll = Kevin McHale & Robert Parish

3 titles, 2 HOF'ers, 235.4 Win Shares vs 0 titles and 35.6 Win Shares, and a jamoke

Wins the sow's ear to the silk purse award at the very least.

That's sort of what I was thinking about when I made the thread lol.