PDA

View Full Version : Heat big three not looking at hometown discount as an option ?

Stunner
02-28-2014, 12:12 PM
LeBron James, Chris Bosh and Dwyane Wade aren’t going to be “sacrificing millions for the good of the team,” a source tells Mitch Lawrence of the New York Daily News. All three have early termination options on their contracts that they can exercise at season’s end, and it appears they’ll seek the highest paydays possible after signing for less than the maximum salaries they all could have commanded in 2010.

James would no doubt become the most sought-after free agent on the market if he opts out, though he’s given no indication about whether he’ll do so, nor has he suggested that any team would be the favorite to sign him. Similarly, no such hints have come from Bosh, who should also warrant maximum-salary offers if he were to become a free agent, or Wade, whose age (32) and knee troubles would make him the least desirable of the three.

All three could make the most money over the next two seasons by remaining under their current deals, which run though 2015/16. James and Bosh are set to make $20.59MM each in 2014/15, with Wade slated for $20.164MM. If they opt out, the maximum that James and Bosh could make as a starting salary in a new deal, whether with Miami or another club, would be $20,020,875, or 105% of their current salaries. The max for Wade would be $19,606,650. It’s conceivable that the NBA’s maximum salary could rise high enough to make it somewhat more lucrative for all three to sign new contracts, but that won’t be determined until after the July Moratorium, past the deadline for the trio of stars to decide on their early termination options.

Still, they could guarantee themselves a greater sum of money over the long-term if they opted out and signed new four- or five-year contracts. The Heat stars took less than the max in 2010 to join up, with Wade, then still in the prime of his career, making the largest sacrifice. James, Wade and Bosh were all clients of the Creative Artists Agency at the time, but James has since left to join longtime friend Rich Paul of the Klutch Sports Group. If the three stars opt in and rejoin the Heat next season, each has another opportunity to get out of their respective deals via player option in the summer of 2015.

Miami has Bird Rights with all three, allowing the team to exceed the salary cap to re-sign them. The issue for the Heat, as it has been over the past few years, would be figuring out how to maintain a championship-caliber roster around their stars, particularly if Wade’s health continues to decline. The Heat have recently convinced several others to take discounts, but they’ve nonetheless paid the luxury tax the past two seasons, and are set to do so again. The tax penalties will become much greater next season, when repeat offender tax rates kick in.

Tony_Starks
02-28-2014, 12:18 PM
So much depends on how this season ends. IMO I see them losing to Indy this year then everybody coming back next season to get that bad taste out of their mouth.

I'm sure Riley will find a way to get them some more help this summer, not that they need it......

beyourself
02-28-2014, 12:23 PM
Everything is speculation. There is little information about this because they won't talk to the media about their future plans.

Iron24th
02-28-2014, 12:26 PM
^ Agree, just media speculation trying to keep selling papers

Slug3
02-28-2014, 12:29 PM
I also remember media people saying there was no way all 3 would sign with Miami and here we are. honestly nobody is going to know till it happens or doesn't happen.

2-ONE-5
02-28-2014, 12:47 PM
why should they? they took a discount to come together and this will be their last shot at a payday this big except for maybe James

D-Leethal
02-28-2014, 12:54 PM
LeBron got his "easy" route to a championship (his words, not mine). Now thats out of the way, its time for bidness. Or maybe look for another "easy" route for a championship.

Slug3
02-28-2014, 01:02 PM
I am not saying Lebron will take a Discount, but the dude made like what 35 million in endorsements last year?

Teeboy1487
02-28-2014, 01:07 PM
Can't blame them. They got their championships. Now it's time to get paid. I still see Miami keeping all of them and they should. The franchise makes so much off them. They can more than afford them. Besides, they have an advantage over everyone having their bird rights.

mightybosstone
02-28-2014, 01:18 PM
James and Bosh should not take discounts, but Wade is another discussion entirely. He'll be 33 next season, he's missed at least 15-20 games the last three years and his play has dropped off pretty dramatically the last two seasons. On the flip side, he took a huge discount and sacrificed his numbers and standing as a No. 1 guy to let Lebron and Bosh come to Miami. So the Heat will have a very interesting decision to make with him. Do you reward the guy for helping you win you first three championships ever or do you make a tough decision, hold firm and risk letting him walk?

TheNumber37
02-28-2014, 01:26 PM
The Pacers will have the most impact on their decision... When Indiana beats them, everything will change. Lebron will understand that it would take a roster shakeup to get past them, so he will either leave or more likely... force a Sign and Trade for Bosh... Parsons, Asik, Lin

mightybosstone
02-28-2014, 01:30 PM
The Pacers will have the most impact on their decision... When Indiana beats them, everything will change. Lebron will understand that it would take a roster shakeup to get past them, so he will either leave or more likely... force a Sign and Trade for Bosh... Parsons, Asik, Lin

You make it sound like it's a foregone conclusion, which it most definitely is not. The Heat have been playing much better basketball the last few weeks than the Pacers and they could very well catch the Pacers for the No. 1 seed and home-court advantage. IF Indiana beats them in the playoffs, it could impact Miami's decisions on the future of the roster. But let's cross that bridge when we get to it and not make assumptions.

Tony_Starks
02-28-2014, 01:38 PM
I think all 3 will get paid well and stay. This is D Wades last big payday so I know Riley is especially going to take care of him. Bosh too. Even though fans underestimate him Spo has consistently said he's the most important player to their team....

mightybosstone
02-28-2014, 01:57 PM
I think all 3 will get paid well and stay. This is D Wades last big payday so I know Riley is especially going to take care of him. Bosh too. Even though fans underestimate him Spo has consistently said he's the most important player to their team....

Do you see them giving him a max deal, though? I just don't think it makes any sense, and I can't envision Riley paying him that much money. Maybe $12-15 million a year on a 3-4-year deal? Okay, I'd buy that. But a max deal for a player at his age and with his injury history just seems like a horrible idea.

Tony_Starks
02-28-2014, 02:11 PM
Do you see them giving him a max deal, though? I just don't think it makes any sense, and I can't envision Riley paying him that much money. Maybe $12-15 million a year on a 3-4-year deal? Okay, I'd buy that. But a max deal for a player at his age and with his injury history just seems like a horrible idea.

Well I don't see Wade opting out, he's scheduled to make 20 next year. So after that I think Riles will probably give him something around 16-18milli for two years and then just take it year by year, sort of like what Dallas is doing with Dirk.

But after the years he's put in a max isnt out of the question. You have to keep in mind Riley isn't your typical GM. He takes care of his guys.

SportsFanatic10
02-28-2014, 03:50 PM
nobody knows anything for sure right now so no use playing the guessing game. the only thing we know is this season means a lot, and another heat title would go a long way towards securing the future of this team's core.

Bostonjorge
02-28-2014, 04:06 PM
Looks like Indiana is going to punch Lebron's ticket out of the playoffs then out of Miami.

SportsFanatic10
02-28-2014, 04:09 PM
Looks like Indiana is going to punch Lebron's ticket out of the playoffs then out of Miami.

lol only in your wet dreams.

Goose17
02-28-2014, 04:15 PM
IMO,

Wade isn't going anywhere, he's going to retire in Miami.
Lebron is the best player in the league, Miami are going to give him whatever he wants to try and keep him.

Bosh is the most likely to go, if they're smart they work out a sign and trade. They could get some very solid role players to surround Lebron in exchange for bosh.

koreancabbage
02-28-2014, 04:35 PM
why should they? they took a discount to come together and this will be their last shot at a payday this big except for maybe James

as if they aren't rich enough already. They're older and wiser and thus money shouldn't be an issue for them going forward. They can always get money anywhere, lets be honest, but getting rings are harder.

koreancabbage
02-28-2014, 04:37 PM

they still have to beat Miami.

Every year - people keep saying this team or that team is going to beat the Heat - yet when the Heat win, they talk as if it was a cakewalk for them.

Sactown
02-28-2014, 04:47 PM

Every year - people keep saying this team or that team is going to beat the Heat - yet when the Heat win, they talk as if it was a cakewalk for them.

That's because teams don't account for the change of play in the playoffs and how the intensity increases and teams end up getting ****ed like Chicago who won 3 of 4 in the regular season and got destroyed in the playoffs

spatzcatz91
02-28-2014, 04:48 PM
I can't wait until Miami beats Indiana again. I love that everyone has Indiana winning the East as a foregone conclusion.

Dade County
02-28-2014, 04:56 PM
nvm

Dade County
02-28-2014, 05:00 PM
That's because teams don't account for the change of play in the playoffs and how the intensity increases and teams end up getting ****ed like Chicago who won 3 of 4 in the regular season and got destroyed in the playoffs

I can help you out with that... The HEAT got the ok to play for real.

beasted86
02-28-2014, 05:10 PM
Remember how everyone said there was no way Miami would get all three the first time? Remember how there was no way they would take discounts? Remember how there is only one basketball on the court not 3? Remember how they're going to have 3 all-star and the rest D League scrubs?

Okay, don't forget now...

Dade County
02-28-2014, 05:15 PM

:laugh:

Dade County
02-28-2014, 05:24 PM

Wade is the best sg in the league when healthy (and I can see him staying on top for another 2 to 4 yrs), why wanted Pat take care of him. Wade might be the next Pat Riley:)

Tony_Starks
02-28-2014, 05:39 PM

Every year? Dude they've won twice. You act like this is the 80's Lakers or something..

NYKNYGNYY
02-28-2014, 05:41 PM
Just a story for the media ... Yadda yadda yadda... They ain't going nowhere

beasted86
03-01-2014, 12:42 AM
Every year? Dude they've won twice. You act like this is the 80's Lakers or something..

Yes every year since this roster has been put together there is a large following that thinks "x" team from the East will knock off the HEAT. Mainly Bulls, Celtics, and Pacers the last couple years.