PDA

View Full Version : Miami rejected Turner for Haslem trade offer

poleandreel
02-27-2014, 11:51 PM
The Miami Heat were said to be interested in Evan Turner before the NBA’s trade deadline and it was even suggested that the Heat had the needed pieces to get a deal done.

That piece would have been a draft pick and power forward Udonis Haslem, but the Heat decided to decline the Philadelphia 76ers offer – not because it was bad for basketball reasons – but because it wouldn’t have sent the correct message.

Per the Miami Herald:

ESPN commentator and Herald contributor Dan Le Batard reported today that the Heat last week rejected Philadelphia’s trade offer of Evan Turner for Udonis Haslem because trading Haslem, who sacrificed more than $10 million to sign here, would not be sending the right message.

The ‘right message’ was that the Heat didn’t want to trade away Haslem given his previous sacrifices for the team.

It ends up being a pretty significant decision on the part of the Heat given Miami could have walked away from Turner’s contract at season end while Haslem has a $4.6 million dollar player option for next year.

http://fansided.com/2014/02/27/nba-rumors-miami-heat-rejected-evan-turner-udonis-haslem-trade/#!xLzOq

SiCk-N-TwiSTed
02-27-2014, 11:54 PM
Wow classy move

mngopher35
02-27-2014, 11:55 PM
Wow, sweet move by Miami.

Lakers + Giants
02-28-2014, 12:09 AM
Classy, but stupid.

mngopher35
02-28-2014, 12:16 AM
Classy, but stupid.

Maybe, do you think Turner would make that much of a difference?

If the players all really like and get along with Haslem the team chemistry might play a bigger part than getting turner imo (especially if they can get Granger or Butler). I mean anyone who says they should have made the trade would have a very valid argument but I actually think this is somewhat of a wash. Turner plays best with the ball in his hands from what I have seen and that wouldn't happen a ton in Miami. It could also help in the future as FA see how Miami treats players who sacrifice money to play there.

Overall I just don't think it is a bad move is what I am getting at.

Chronz
02-28-2014, 12:18 AM
Good for business bad for morale, good non-move considering this team can win as is.

Slug3
02-28-2014, 12:19 AM
Classy, but stupid.

Unless it gets free agents attention in the future about how the organization treats it's players?

Tony_Starks
02-28-2014, 12:21 AM
Loyalty. Haslem is a OG....

Lakers + Giants
02-28-2014, 12:23 AM
Maybe, do you think Turner would make that much of a difference?

If the players all really like and get along with Haslem the team chemistry might play a bigger part than getting turner imo (especially if they can get Granger or Butler). I mean anyone who says they should have made the trade would have a very valid argument but I actually think this is somewhat of a wash. Turner plays best with the ball in his hands from what I have seen and that wouldn't happen a ton in Miami. It could also help in the future as FA see how Miami treats players who sacrifice money to play there.

Overall I just don't think it is a bad move is what I am getting at.

A team like miami should have no problem chemistry wise, losing a guy like haslem. I think they should've made the move. Will it end up being a difference maker? Most likely not. But you still try to make any move that improves your team, even marginally.

SMH!
02-28-2014, 12:24 AM
gotta respect that, organization respecting a player who is loyal to the organization.

5ass
02-28-2014, 12:27 AM
he doesnt fit with the heat anyway.

Hawkeye15
02-28-2014, 12:28 AM
Turner really isn't a good player at all, and did Miami really need to make a move?

Big Zo
I'd prefer to keep Haslem anyway.

king4day
Good for the Heat brass. Would be F'd up to say, "thanks for giving us a discount.....buuuuuuuuuut we're gonna have to trade ya now"

mngopher35
02-28-2014, 12:38 AM
A team like miami should have no problem chemistry wise, losing a guy like haslem. I think they should've made the move. Will it end up being a difference maker? Most likely not. But you still try to make any move that improves your team, even marginally.

I don't think Turner is worth changing it up though, especially with granger and butler as possibilities (difference in abilities isn't too far off especially for what Miami needs out of wings) . Trading haslem might lower morale on a team that already has a good chance to win. Then as stated it could also help for future free agents.

I can agree to disagree here, because I think this is the right move. I do think you are right that Turner makes them slightly more talented but I don't think he makes a difference one way or the other while the other factors mentioned might.

moshy2
02-28-2014, 12:43 AM
Good move by Miami. I'll buy the not mess up chemistry because Haslem has been there for awhile, but I don't know how much that would actually affect their play. It shows loyalty to current players and potential players and I don't think Turner would make them that much better anyways

HouRealCoach
02-28-2014, 12:44 AM
Turner really isn't a good player at all, and did Miami really need to make a move?

What?

stawka
02-28-2014, 12:48 AM
Good for the Heat brass. Would be F'd up to say, "thanks for giving us a discount.....buuuuuuuuuut we're gonna have to trade ya now"

Well said

Classy decision by the Heat. Haslem is co-captain and their "Glue-Guy"

True Sports Fan
02-28-2014, 01:53 AM
Is he all that much better than Beasley anyways

Stunner
02-28-2014, 01:55 AM
Only reason it would have been good for the heat to get Turner is to rest Wade

Hawkeye15
02-28-2014, 02:21 AM
What?

Turner is a pretty bad player.

Deadpool
02-28-2014, 02:31 AM
It's a surprising move by the Heat, but a nice gesture non the less considering what Haslem left on the table in Free Agency by re-signing with them.

John Walls Era
02-28-2014, 02:33 AM
Its a nice gesture, but idt Turner is all that good. He got some ok numbers on a tanking team.

SMH!
02-28-2014, 02:37 AM
Turner is a pretty bad player.

Thank you for realizing that lol, seems like every non philly fan is thinking otherwise. Even though I think his new role on the bench is better suited for him but either way, hes not that good.

TrueFan420
02-28-2014, 02:38 AM
I wonder if there's any truth to this story or if it's just propaganda by the heat front office

naps
02-28-2014, 03:18 AM
Not surprised. Anyone that follows the Heat knows Haslem is the heart and soul of that franchise. Not necessarily on the court but he embodies the Heat/Riley culture more than anyone and hence he will never be traded unless it's a no-brainer lopsided move where loyalty won't be questioned.

Rndy
02-28-2014, 04:54 AM
If only that other team in Miami could have this class yeah I'm talking to you Loria! Would trade his own mom if it would save money. Stuff like this is why Lebron will never leave Miami until they force him out. Players will always want to come to Miami the weather, Lebron, and the front office run by Pat Riley.

kobe4thewinbang
02-28-2014, 05:17 AM
Why would Philly want Haslem? So they can buy him out too? He's not a difference maker and merely a satisfactory player.

effen5
02-28-2014, 05:58 AM
It's a classy move but it really is a dumb move. But I'm looking it as a POV of a Bulls fan who values their players too much sometimes.

jerellh528
02-28-2014, 06:29 AM
It was almost their obligation not to trade him. He stayed with the heat at a discounted price and is the mainstay guy for that franchise. It would've been free agency suicide to trade him, especially for a guy that may or may not help the team win an extra game or two, maybe. I can't think of a role player right now that would be harder to trade for his franchise than him given his relationship with that franchise. Of course basketball is a business but there are ethics to business as well.

Goose17
02-28-2014, 06:34 AM
gotta respect that, organization respecting a player who is loyal to the organization.

This^

Haslem is a very loyal player, seeing the front office show him the same loyalty is pretty awesome.

Jamiecballer
02-28-2014, 08:05 AM
yeah, lost in all of this is the fact that Turner sucks pretty badly. i'd turn that down regardless.

Swashcuff
02-28-2014, 08:08 AM
Turner would help the Heat in one aspect of basketball and that's rebounding. If they want rebounds they might as well have Haslem lace em up and get on out there. Turner really doesn't mesh well with Wade or LeBron IMO. I know everyone is saying its a classy move by the Heat but honestly even if Haslem wasn't who he was (longest tenured and extremely loyal player) I still don't think they do it. They honestly have no need for a player of Turner's skill set.

Yanks All Day
02-28-2014, 08:41 AM
1) Classy move by the Heat. He took a discount to sign there and help their monster team come together, so they're showing loyalty back to him and holding on to Haslem, even if he doesn't play a huge role any more.

2) It wouldn't have been a move that mattered anyway. The Heat are rolling right now and seem to be getting into playoff mode. They know if Wade, LBJ, and Bosh are healthy, they have a real chance to win it all.

3) Evan Turner just isn't that good. Sure, he'd help the rebounding a little, but they only need rebounding help in a series against Indiana. He wouldn't fight for boards down low with West and Hibbert anyway, so it's a moot point. He's a pretty good scorer who took all the shots on a bad team. He needs the ball to be effective and would go from a number one option to the fourth option, at best, on some nights. There's no telling for sure how he'd affect Miami, and I'm sure they didn't want to risk him being a negative.

4) Honestly, Michael Beasley fits Miami better as a reclamation project and a long-term investment (if the Heat so choose) than Evan Turner anyway. Pat Riley isn't thinking just about this year. He knows Miami can 3-peat. He's thinking about having a great team around LeBron that LBJ will want to re-up and keep together for a long time. Beasley fits that mold because he plays the Heat's style of basketball more than Turner.

Goose17
02-28-2014, 08:51 AM
I also agree with the people saying Turner wouldn't have been a good fit.

WES KOAST
02-28-2014, 09:37 AM
Classy, but stupid.

y? lakers did the same for kobe, but much worse

uptown0364
02-28-2014, 09:51 AM
Sounds like a fake "leaked" story to make themselves look good. Why would philly want Haslem and his player option when worse case they could have let turner expire? They are trying to clear the books.

MrfadeawayJB
02-28-2014, 09:55 AM
Sounds dumb in theory but is actually very smart because:

1) Haslem is a good fit while turner is a wildcard

2) Miami shows "loyalty" to a fan favorite and player who made sacrifices

3) and because they did this for him, don't be surprised if he declines his player option and takes less money

Goose17
02-28-2014, 09:55 AM
Sounds like a fake "leaked" story to make themselves look good. Why would philly want Haslem and his player option when worse case they could have let turner expire? They are trying to clear the books.

Haslem is taking home almost half of what Turner is. It would have been a good deal for them.

poleandreel
02-28-2014, 10:11 AM
It's hilarious how people say Turner sucks and won't help a team, but when someone like Granger/Udrih/Glen Davis is bought out, everyone wants their team to sign them.

What a joke this site is.

Swashcuff
02-28-2014, 10:14 AM
It's hilarious how people say Turner sucks and won't help a team, but when someone like Granger/Udrih/Glen Davis is bought out, everyone wants their team to sign them.

I'm one of the biggest Turner supporters around and for what he would bring to a team like the Heat its really not that much and they'd probably be better off keeping Haslem. For a team like the Pacers however he's clearly a better fit (like most of those in that trade thread said). Matter of a fact damn near everyone said Granger made no sense for the 76ers.

Raps18-19 Champ
02-28-2014, 10:24 AM
Classy.

They need big men though so trading him for another guard wouldn't do much.

Slug3
02-28-2014, 10:42 AM
Why would Philly want Haslem? So they can buy him out too? He's not a difference maker and merely a satisfactory player.

Honestly Miami and Philly through the years have made a lot of trades together. Sometimes teams just become trade partners and that could just be the simplest answer there is for this one.

Pacerlive
02-28-2014, 11:38 AM
This.

I doubt it happened but if it did it was a dumb move. Simply put he is a talent upgrade over Haslem and we will see the true test of loyalty come this summer and remember this is the organization whose prez booted out a coach so he could run the show.

sixer04fan
02-28-2014, 11:47 AM

Context. If Turner was bought out everyone would be clamoring for him as well. Much more so than those other players. And this is coming from a guy who doesn't think Turner is any good

sixer04fan
02-28-2014, 11:52 AM

If the draft pick was any better than what we got from Indy, that's why. Trade wasn't about Haslem at all, just like it wasn't about Granger.

sixer04fan
02-28-2014, 11:57 AM

All about the draft pick. The books are already cleared in Philly. With or without Haslem next year, we have more cap space than we can dream to spend. And I don't think we'll spend big anyways for another few years.

Haslem is the kind of guy who would opt out of his money next year to sign with a contender for less anyways. He probably even would've seeked a buyout from Philly this year.

sixer04fan
02-28-2014, 12:03 PM
I don't think Turner's any good, but the one thing he serves Miami well for is as emergency backup depth for Wade. If Wade goes down for extended time during the playoffs, Turner helps lessen the blow IMO. Although there's just as good of a chance they're better off without Turner altogether.

Slug3
02-28-2014, 12:04 PM
This.

I doubt it happened but if it did it was a dumb move. Simply put he is a talent upgrade over Haslem and we will see the true test of loyalty come this summer and remember this is the organization whose prez booted out a coach so he could run the show.

This is also the prez that got Wade/Bosh/Lebron to sign together and got a lot of free agents to come to Miami for cheap. Also he has 9 rings, I think he knows what he is doing in this business and not worrying about what someone on a forum is saying.

Chi StateOfMind
02-28-2014, 12:10 PM
The main thing here is Miami didn't even nene to make a move and especially for Turner. Classy move by a powerhouse organization. That's awesome they could do that and probably still win it all.

Alayla
02-28-2014, 01:33 PM
What?

He is right Turner isnt that great

Pacerlive
02-28-2014, 01:42 PM
This is also the prez that got Wade/Bosh/Lebron to sign together and got a lot of free agents to come to Miami for cheap. Also he has 9 rings, I think he knows what he is doing in this business and not worrying about what someone on a forum is saying.

And what this has to do with the loyality claim.

He has filtered in and out players on the bench and Haslem is the last guy from the old regime before the big three but he is pretty useless now. Start playing the loyality card and its easy to see that every franchise has its limits with players which is why I think this claim that it was a good move based on some weak argument of loyality is silly. Its more likely that the Sixers never made this offer or that something else was involved like a pick that is not being mentioned. Either way though I am glad it didn't happen since Turner would be valuable on the Heat given Wades health and Allens age.

Teeboy1487
02-28-2014, 01:49 PM
I have a new found respect for this organization after hearing this. Very Classy move. Not a lot of teams would have done this. Even I would have pulled the trigger on this trade if I had the power. I applaud any organization remaining loyal to their players.

Phenom1
02-28-2014, 01:59 PM
Why would they trade a big man. This was a good move. They need all their bigs come playoff time.

lajoie
02-28-2014, 02:18 PM
Turner sucks.

It was good move for the Pacers because they gave up jackshit for him.

NYKNYGNYY
02-28-2014, 02:34 PM
Was gonna say stupid... But if u think about it very smart... This is a big year for the heat they can have their big 3 opt out(highly unlikely tho) this shows loyalty to someone who has sacrificed for them... Plus et is a free agent after this season I doubt they'd have the money he would want ... They're good enough to win it the way they are

Slug3
02-28-2014, 02:43 PM
And what this has to do with the loyality claim.

He has filtered in and out players on the bench and Haslem is the last guy from the old regime before the big three but he is pretty useless now. Start playing the loyality card and its easy to see that every franchise has its limits with players which is why I think this claim that it was a good move based on some weak argument of loyality is silly. Its more likely that the Sixers never made this offer or that something else was involved like a pick that is not being mentioned. Either way though I am glad it didn't happen since Turner would be valuable on the Heat given Wades health and Allens age.

A pick was mentioned. It just seems like you don't know what you are talking about.

Pacerlive
02-28-2014, 03:12 PM
A pick was mentioned. It just seems like you don't know what you are talking about.
Meh it depends on where it was. A first rounder I understand why they would reject it but if it was a second rounder then I think its totally made up or its not the full story. Haslem is just too washed up to believe that loyality had anything to do with it.

Goose17
02-28-2014, 03:18 PM
Meh it depends on where it was. A first rounder I understand why they would reject it but if it was a second rounder then I think its totally made up or its not the full story. Haslem is just too washed up to believe that loyality had anything to do with it.

What does being washed up have to do with it? Being loyal means sticking with a player even if they are washed up, out of respect of what they've given the franchise.

Pacerlive
02-28-2014, 03:26 PM
If we are talking about Alonzo Mourning or Dwayne Wade I get it which is what the Pacers did with Reggie but we are talking about a marginal player at best. Nothing special at all over his career and teams aren't loyal to those guys by in large if a trade comes around that will make them better.

You all can buy it but I think this is just leaked reporting to make the franchise look better.

Big Zo
02-28-2014, 03:31 PM
If we are talking about Alonzo Mourning or Dwayne Wade I get it which is what the Pacers did with Reggie but we are talking about a marginal player at best. Nothing special at all over his career and teams aren't loyal to those guys by in large if a trade comes around that will make them better.

You all can buy it but I think this is just leaked reporting to make the franchise look better.

He is beloved by fans, and the organization. He might not be the most talented, but his heart is second to none, and he's been here since 2003. I really don't see why they would fake a story like this, considering they've been able to acquire just about any free agent they've wanted.

Goose17
02-28-2014, 03:32 PM

Obviously a pacer fan is going to think it's B.S

Face it, Miami don't need to make a trade, they're the reigning champs.

Trading a guy who has been loyal to your franchise throughout his entire career when you're already favourites to win the title makes no sense. You stick with him, you let him end his career there if he chooses to do so.

You don't just stay loyal to stars, you stay loyal to those who showed loyalty to you.

And you're acting like he's a career scrub. He was a double-double machine when Miami won it's first championship.

sunsfan88
02-28-2014, 03:40 PM
Haslem gave up $10M to stay in Miami? Wtf why?

I get that you wanna win titles but Haslem isn't like LeBron or Wade who make ton of money through sponsors, commercials and other marketing methods. Plus it's not like Haslem has ever made big money in his life before like LeBron & Wade...

Goose17
02-28-2014, 03:43 PM

I get that you wanna win titles but Haslem isn't like LeBron or Wade who make ton of money through sponsors, commercials and other marketing methods. Plus it's not like Haslem has ever made big money in his life before like LeBron & Wade...

Because he's loyal.

Has it been so long since a player showed that sort of loyalty that people are genuinely surprised by it?

Haslem is one of the realest guys left in this league, it will be a sad day when he retires.

I'm hoping Draymond Green will be the same for the Dubs, stick with us throughout no matter and what and eventually retire and become an assistant coach lol.

Big Zo
02-28-2014, 03:44 PM

He wanted to win, and stay in his hometown while still being a millionaire, anyway.

SportsFanatic10
02-28-2014, 03:45 PM
one of the many reasons i love the heat, a true 1st class organization!

Pacerlive
02-28-2014, 03:46 PM
He is beloved by fans, and the organization. He might not be the most talented, but his heart is second to none, and he's been here since 2003. I really don't see why they would fake a story like this, considering they've been able to acquire just about any free agent they've wanted.
I am not saying they faked it but just that its not the whole story with all the details? The loyalty talk to me is for fans because its there a more than one example of how much loyalty buys you on any team and its not a whole lot regardless but it is even less with mediocre players with big hearts.

Again it looks like a pr move to me which is fine but I don't buy the "we are loyal to our players" excuse when you got more than one example of how that is hogwash.

Im_in_Mia_bish
02-28-2014, 03:48 PM
Lol.. This guy

Pacerlive
02-28-2014, 03:49 PM

He wanted to win and his mother was ill at the time when he hit FA's so staying close to her was important.

ManRam
02-28-2014, 03:50 PM
ET wouldn't have made much of a difference at all IMO. He'd be backing up LeBron/Wade, is not a plus defender and is not a plus three point shooter. That's not a great fit for the Heat as a bench player. If they turned down trading Haslem for someone that actually fits a need (mainly size), then yeah...they let doing a nice deed get in the way. But I don't think this will come back to haunt them really at all. He's not that special and plays at the position of least need for the Heat.

Im_in_Mia_bish
02-28-2014, 03:52 PM
ET wouldn't have made much of a difference at all IMO. He'd be backing up LeBron/Wade, is not a plus defender and is not a plus three point shooter. That's not a great fit for the Heat as a bench player. If they turned down trading Haslem for someone that actually fits a need (mainly size), then yeah...they let doing a nice deed get in the way. But I don't think this will come back to haunt them really at all. He's not that special and plays at the position of least need for the Heat.

Agreed. I believe they said he wasn't a good catch and shoot shooter, but his ability to create his own shot is a plus, even though he attempts and rarely makes questionable shots.

His defense, well let's be real, the whole 76ers defense, has been nonexistent. He def has the physical ability to play defense so let's see if Vogel can do that with him.

Im_in_Mia_bish
02-28-2014, 03:54 PM
As for Haslem, he gave up money TWICE to stay in miami.
He is loved by our main guys, and they let miller go already with heavy criticism from fans down here and the main stars. I doubt they would do that with UD unless it was very beneficial to the team and if it was mutual.

Im_in_Mia_bish
02-28-2014, 03:56 PM
Obviously a pacer fan is going to think it's B.S

Face it, Miami don't need to make a trade, they're the reigning champs.

Trading a guy who has been loyal to your franchise throughout his entire career when you're already favourites to win the title makes no sense. You stick with him, you let him end his career there if he chooses to do so.

You don't just stay loyal to stars, you stay loyal to those who showed loyalty to you.

And you're acting like he's a career scrub. He was a double-double machine when Miami won it's first championship.

And was a key player in 2010 when the heat beat the bulls when spo played UD and Miller in a desperation move.

ManRam
02-28-2014, 03:58 PM

They're equals for the most part IMO; below-average players who have a few strengths.

The thing is, Davis fills a great need for the Clippers, Turner doesn't fill one at all for the Heat.

blahblahyoutoo
02-28-2014, 03:59 PM
Is he all that much better than Beasley anyways

he's still solid. i don't know why he doesn't get more burn.

TrueFan420
02-28-2014, 04:13 PM

It's kinda funny that people say that. Yes his contract might not be as much as he could have had but the lack if tax in Miami made the difference between the deals marginal.

Pacerlive
02-28-2014, 05:05 PM
This is really dependent on Wades health though. IF he stays healthy then you are correct but if he isn't then they could use another wing who can handle the ball and make the correct pass. Heck Turner is essentially a very cheap version of Wade. A strong rebounder, passer and a below average 3 point shooter.

Jamiecballer
02-28-2014, 05:09 PM
This is really dependent on Wades health though. IF he stays healthy then you are correct but if he isn't then they could use another wing who can handle the ball and make the correct pass. Heck Turner is essentially a very cheap version of Wade. A strong rebounder, passer and a below average 3 point shooter.

You meant cheap in terms of quality right? Not salary? Or both?

Pacerlive
02-28-2014, 05:23 PM
Cheap in terms of quality.

ManRam
02-28-2014, 05:28 PM

How cheap we talking? Because it's a HUGE drop off. Even the Wade that hasn't looked vintage Wade the last two playoff runs is far better than Turner.

Run Ray out there for 36 minutes if that happens. He can shoot, knows the system and has the chemistry.

Pacerlive
02-28-2014, 06:07 PM
How cheap we talking? Because it's a HUGE drop off. Even the Wade that hasn't looked vintage Wade the last two playoff runs is far better than Turner.

Run Ray out there for 36 minutes if that happens. He can shoot, knows the system and has the chemistry.
I think Allen is done running around for 36 minutes per game and his most important aspect is having fresh legs in the 4th to hit a 3 for the Heat. Make him run around everywhere like the Celtics did 2 years ago and his efficiency will suffer when you need it the most.

ManRam
02-28-2014, 07:24 PM
I think Allen is done running around for 36 minutes per game and his most important aspect is having fresh legs in the 4th to hit a 3 for the Heat. Make him run around everywhere like the Celtics did 2 years ago and his efficiency will suffer when you need it the most.

Fair. If Wade goes down it's a problem. But ET isn't replacing him at even close to full capacity. They just need to continue managing his minutes and hope he's fine. If he's fine, then I seriously maintain the Heat had almost zero need for him.

If ET was a great shooter, defender or creator, then yeah, the Heat were dumb to pass him up. But he's none of those three things. Lot's of talent, but he can be a liability very often because he doesn't defend, because he takes bad shots (loves taking deep 2s), and because he misses most of them. Like he did in his debut with Indy.

sillyphilly76
03-01-2014, 01:36 AM
one of the many reasons i love the heat, a true 1st class organization!

This is a joke right ? First Class ? Oh so trading Haslem away for obvious better talent because they are Loyal is Classy ? But, deliberately Tanking, and trading away past players to get to the zero team salary in order to sign Lebron, Bosh and Wade...that IS Classy ? ( SMH )

FlashBolt
03-01-2014, 02:21 PM
This is a joke right ? First Class ? Oh so trading Haslem away for obvious better talent because they are Loyal is Classy ? But, deliberately Tanking, and trading away past players to get to the zero team salary in order to sign Lebron, Bosh and Wade...that IS Classy ? ( SMH )

You don't make any sense. Everyone who followed Miami knew that they were going to be a huge player in the free agency. It was no secret that they had the cap for three all stars. Tanking? When the hell did Miami tank? Udonis was an original. He and Wade are the longest members of that organization. It was only of his loyalty that Miami rewarded him.

astonmartin10
03-01-2014, 03:53 PM
Meh... The Heat didn't need to make a move. They still the 2x defending champions and have Wade and Lebron on that team.

Pacerlive
03-01-2014, 04:04 PM
Fair. If Wade goes down it's a problem. But ET isn't replacing him at even close to full capacity. They just need to continue managing his minutes and hope he's fine. If he's fine, then I seriously maintain the Heat had almost zero need for him.

If ET was a great shooter, defender or creator, then yeah, the Heat were dumb to pass him up. But he's none of those three things. Lot's of talent, but he can be a liability very often because he doesn't defend, because he takes bad shots (loves taking deep 2s), and because he misses most of them. Like he did in his debut with Indy.

He was 6 of 12 in his debut. You are probably think of the Bucks game.

I'll let you judge the probability of an injury to a wing player vs a front court player on the Heat but I know where my money is at.

sunsfan88
03-02-2014, 03:37 AM
It's kinda funny that people say that. Yes his contract might not be as much as he could have had but the lack if tax in Miami made the difference between the deals marginal.

No way. $10 million can be covered in taxes?

TrueFan420
03-02-2014, 02:05 PM
No way. $10 million can be covered in taxes?

Not in one year but over the life of the contract. You pay 39.6% on any earnings of 400k and up in a year. He signed a 5 year deal for around 20 million. Anywhere else he loses 7,920,000 of that over the life of the deal. Give or take inflation. So if the difference was 2 million more to a new team or 2 million less and you're playing on a team with 3 stars in their prime for a team you've been with your whole career. I mean for me it's not that hard. I stay. Why make your family pick up and move over 2 million when you're happy and you know you're gonna be on a winning side.

ATX
03-02-2014, 02:23 PM

You shouldn't post nonsense about things you clearly know nothing about.

NBA_Starter
03-02-2014, 10:23 PM
Probably a smart move to pass on him.

Supreme LA
03-03-2014, 05:03 AM
That's just stupid if he they actually thought Turner could help. I mean look at Lebron. He leaves Cleveland to win in Miami so Miami should atleast do what they can to win. That's only if they believed Turner could help them be better. There's no need for loyalty. Loyalty obviously means nothing to their best player.

Jtirado16
03-03-2014, 05:24 AM
Very classy but could end up hurting them.. Turner to the Pacers could very well be their missing link. That's one strong bench they have.

ATX
03-03-2014, 10:33 AM
That's just stupid if he they actually thought Turner could help. I mean look at Lebron. He leaves Cleveland to win in Miami so Miami should atleast do what they can to win. That's only if they believed Turner could help them be better. There's no need for loyalty. Loyalty obviously means nothing to their best player.

Loyalty to one of the worst run front offices in the organization? I do believe LeBron did what was best for LeBron. 3 Finals appearances in 3 years, B2B Championships and right at the top of the league in year 4 thus far...No you're right, he should have been "Loyal" to Gilbert and the Cavs so he could be surrounded with mediocre talent at best, sans Kyrie, but hey Kyrie wouldn't even be in Cleveland if James would have chosed to waste more years of his prime there.