PDA

View Full Version : Can a rookie forego the draft and sign with a team?

kingsdelez24
02-27-2014, 08:05 PM
Can a player who just turned 19 forgo the draft to become an undrafted FA? I know I remember that I heard Allan Ray did that in 06. I know Lakers fans would drool all over the idea of Exum becoming an undrafted FA acquisition

TorontoHuskies
02-27-2014, 08:06 PM
Yea I want Wiggins too...

king4day
02-27-2014, 08:09 PM
I'm taking a guess here but I'm pretty sure you can't. Jennings skipped his college year and went to Europe but he still had to get drafted.
There have been big name players (Scola, Marc Gasol, Splitter) who had to be drafted too.

abe_froman
02-27-2014, 08:12 PM
basically,no

PraiseJesus
02-27-2014, 08:30 PM
This is an interesting question.

jimm120
02-27-2014, 08:35 PM
obviously not.

Only way to become a free agent as a rookie is to go undrafted...and you're only going undrafted because of Poor scouting or poor talent.

NoahH
02-27-2014, 08:35 PM
I think Allen Ray just went undrafted. I don't think he chose to forgo the draft. He just got passed on and signed as a FA.

latinofire21
02-27-2014, 08:37 PM
Only way you can be signed without entering the draft is if you entered the draft in a previous year and was never selected. Isaiah Thomas pulled this move for Kentucky's Randolph morris a couple years back.

Raps18-19 Champ
02-27-2014, 08:42 PM
No. Have to enter name in draft first.

barreleffact
02-27-2014, 08:46 PM
Those saying you can't, post the ruling. I am very sure you can. I know a few people that tried to be walk ons on teams. They never entered the draft, but went to training camp with the rockets and a few other teams hoping for contracts.

PhillyFaninLA
02-27-2014, 08:47 PM
Why would any player ever go in the draft if this was the case

Slug3
02-27-2014, 09:07 PM
I believe if you want to play in the nba you have to declare for the draft. Get drafted that team owns your rights. Not he drafted you are a free agent. I don't think you can enter the nba without first declaring for the draft.

DODGERS&LAKERS
02-27-2014, 09:25 PM
You just have to blow your pre draft workouts, spit in a lot of GM's faces, not get drafted, and then sign with the team you actually want to play for. Simple as that

Chrisclover
02-27-2014, 09:42 PM
You just have to blow your pre draft workouts, spit in a lot of GM's faces, not get drafted, and then sign with the team you actually want to play for. Simple as that
after that, the player becomes notorious and no team wants him any more because he is a badass

Slug3
02-27-2014, 09:50 PM
after that, the player becomes notorious and no team wants him any more because he is a badass

The create player on 2k and go on to average 60 points a game and get all the endorsements. But then 2k messes up and doesn't let you complete the goals to get them.

Hellcrooner
02-27-2014, 09:55 PM
Yes.

When other teams come to scout you ( except the one you want to play for) receive them in your sleepers and smoking some pot.

Then proceed to break every of their cars glasses.

After that ask them to presnt you their wifes and spit them in the face.

Get arrested for Dui several times in the days before the draft
make a YouTube video in wich you supposedly inject some heroin on your veins ( but of course DONT actually shoot real heroin).

Then when you are on your seat in NY at draft day get into a fight with some other players and set fire to the curtains behind the stage.

You will probably get undrafted and be able to sign wherever you want.

You ll also lose some million of dollars in the process.

NOT HAPPENING:

TrueFan420
02-27-2014, 10:34 PM
I think you can sign with anyone you'd like after a certain age. I could be wrong but I believe Šarūnas Jasikevičius is an example of this. I don't think he ever declared for the draft but signed with the pacers in 05 while in his late 20's (i think 28 or 29). Some are drafted stay overseas then come over but I believe a 29 pg from Europe wouldn't be required to go through a draft process assuming he never declared but a team wants to give him a shot.

WITZ
02-27-2014, 10:39 PM
Can a player who just turned 19 forgo the draft to become an undrafted FA? I know I remember that I heard Allan Ray did that in 06. I know Lakers fans would drool all over the idea of Exum becoming an undrafted FA acquisition

Ah Allen Ray the dude who almost got his eye poked out :faint:

Dade County
02-27-2014, 10:54 PM
Didn't Tony gonzalez try out for the HEAT? http://staugustine.com/stories/071102/spo_840373.shtml

I think it's an age thing.

Deception
02-27-2014, 11:43 PM
But what about these European guys who are just getting signed? Gigi Datome was signed from the Italian League. Teletovic was signed straight up as well.

Hellcrooner
02-28-2014, 12:10 AM
But what about these European guys who are just getting signed? Gigi Datome was signed from the Italian League. Teletovic was signed straight up as well.

Mirza teletovic, Or jOse calderón for example never got drafted and thus were free to choose who to sign with.

goingfor28
02-28-2014, 12:32 AM
Why would any player ever go in the draft if this was the case

exactly lol

goingfor28
02-28-2014, 12:33 AM
Didn't Tony gonzalez try out for the HEAT? http://staugustine.com/stories/071102/spo_840373.shtml

I think it's an age thing.

HEAT? how about Heat?

Tony_Starks
02-28-2014, 01:20 AM
Let every prospective team know you plan on being a spokesperson for the new Black Panther Party and also you will use your NBA status as a platform to campaign for the legalization of marijuana...... Then when everyone passes on you just walk on with the Knicks for 2 years $10 million.....

Chrisclover
02-28-2014, 02:27 AM

The create player on 2k and go on to average 60 points a game and get all the endorsements. But then 2k messes up and doesn't let you complete the goals to get them.
Sorry i dont fully get you. Why are these two posts relevant ?can you be more specific ?

Six-8-TheWizard
02-28-2014, 02:33 AM
I think the only way is if you don't declare for the draft but I don't think you can be an early entry player to do that. I believe if you don't declare for a draft then you are automatically eligible after graduating from college or if you didnt play college (ie Euros) age 24 or something like that.

Six-8-TheWizard
02-28-2014, 02:34 AM
http://www.businessinsider.com/nba-sends-letter-guy-declared-nba-draft-2013-5

This guy wrote a letter to the NBA in a drunken stupor declaring himself eligible and that was the response

saints.raptors
02-28-2014, 08:49 AM
Basically what Six-8-TheWizard said.
1. Declare for the draft and don't get selected
2. Never declare for the draft and wait until your college eligibility runs out. That's why guys like Calderon can sign as free agents. So it is probably when you turn 25.

JasonJohnHorn
02-28-2014, 09:16 AM
Nope.

Here's what happens in such cases.

Danny Ferry was drafted by the Clippers and didn't want to play with them, so he went to Europe for a year. This forced the Clippers to trade his draft rights.

But the Clippers STILL kept his draft rights. He only got to play for the Cavs because the Clippers had traded his rights.

If a player doesn't like the team that drafts him, he can ask them to trade him, and if they don't he can either sit around for three years until his rights expire, or play in Europe where those rights don't extend.

Those are the options.

Goose17
02-28-2014, 09:37 AM
Nope.

Here's what happens in such cases.

Danny Ferry was drafted by the Clippers and didn't want to play with them, so he went to Europe for a year. This forced the Clippers to trade his draft rights.

But the Clippers STILL kept his draft rights. He only got to play for the Cavs because the Clippers had traded his rights.

If a player doesn't like the team that drafts him, he can ask them to trade him, and if they don't he can either sit around for three years until his rights expire, or play in Europe where those rights don't extend.

Those are the options.

Surely you can't just say "I don't like this team, I'm going to Europe... bye"

-Kobe24-TJ19-
02-28-2014, 10:59 AM
the answer is obviously yes

Jetsguy
02-28-2014, 11:48 AM
I really cant imagine so. The only thing I would say is if they do that then they are only elible to make the minimum right? Versus staying in the draft and getting more money?

IDK I just feel like if it were that easy it would be done all the time and it rarely ever is.

DallasTrilla23
02-28-2014, 12:22 PM
The only way you can skip the draft and become an undrafted FA is if you're 26 years old and never declare for the draft

xnick5757
02-28-2014, 12:48 PM
You can assuming you graduated from college and didn't enter the draft immediately after

http://i.imgur.com/O8TZ1hA.jpg

TrueFan420
02-28-2014, 01:09 PM
http://www.businessinsider.com/nba-sends-letter-guy-declared-nba-draft-2013-5

This guy wrote a letter to the NBA in a drunken stupor declaring himself eligible and that was the response
That's awesome. I thought it was hella funny that he wrote a thousand smiles to you and yours

JasonJohnHorn
02-28-2014, 03:17 PM
Surely you can't just say "I don't like this team, I'm going to Europe... bye"

Yup. You can. The NBA can only make you honour a team's draft rights in their own league, so other leagues can sign you. Ferry did this. Jim Jackson pulled off a similar stunt. He wanted more money from Dallas and refused to play until they paid him. He missed out on half of the season as a rookie until they compromised. If you don't like the team that drafted you, and you are cool with passing up on the money, then you can sit out or go to Europe. Once the team sees you absolutely WILL NOT play for them, they will trade you.

The funny thing is, this was all over Danny Ferry, whose contract turned out to be the Gilbert Anrenas/Joe Johnson contract of his generation. He signed a 10-year deal that paid out over 4 mill a year in the last 6 years, which at the time was HUGE. He was getting paid MORE than Michael Jordan in 96 and the first 9 years of his career, he earned more salary than MJ.

Also made more than:
Hakeem
Barkley
Malone
Stockton
Shawn Kemp
Gary Payton
Patrick Ewing

and a host of other All-Stars.

CRAZY!!!! It prevented the Cavs from building around Prince/Nance/Daughtery. They thought adding Ferry to those guys was going to help them beat the Bulls and the Pistons. lol

NoahH
02-28-2014, 05:40 PM

That's different, they were ALREADY playing pro. Nothing stopping a rookie to pull a Brandon Jennings and play in Europe. But i think OP is wondering if they can play college, skip the draft and sign with a random team.

abe_froman
02-28-2014, 05:48 PM
That's different, they were ALREADY playing pro. Nothing stopping a rookie to pull a Brandon Jennings and play in Europe. But i think OP is wondering if they can play college, skip the draft and sign with a random team.
its not that were already pro,if you play pro overseas your still part of the draft.they didnt because they were never drafted andover 25 or whatever the age ceiling for that draft is

lamzoka
02-28-2014, 08:13 PM
This is a great question
I remembered Knicks sigining timofey mazgov straight up. They I had to help him buy out his contract with whatever team he was playing for. They did the same with prigioni.

NYKNYGNYY
02-28-2014, 08:33 PM
Why is this open.... Shoulda googled it