PDA

View Full Version : Clippers & Spurs frontrunners for Granger

P&GRealist
02-26-2014, 07:07 PM
Guess Spurs and Granger have mutual interest, but because Reddick is out, Clippers can offer more playing time.

http://espn.go.com/nba/story/_/id/10522831/philadelphia-76ers-buy-danny-granger

JWorthy42
02-26-2014, 07:11 PM
Clippers sign everyone, lol.

Goose17
02-26-2014, 07:12 PM
I hope he goes to San Antonio. No depth for Clips please.

hugepatsfan
02-26-2014, 07:30 PM
One of Doc's biggest weakness in BOS was that he was horrible at integrating new players into the lineup midseason. Maybe they just got him the wrong players but he never had any success with it.

torocan
02-26-2014, 07:31 PM
Sounds like the trade for Doc Rivers is really paying off for the Clippers. I keep seeing articles that say that having Doc is the tipping point for signing with the Clippers.

Who would have thought that the Clippers most important trade in the last several years was for a Head Coach?

Anyone want to trade for Mike Woodson? I'll toss in a bag of Cheeto's....

kylem4711
02-26-2014, 07:38 PM
Sounds like the trade for Doc Rivers is really paying off for the Clippers. I keep seeing articles that say that having Doc is the tipping point for signing with the Clippers.

Who would have thought that the Clippers most important trade in the last several years was for a Head Coach?

Anyone want to trade for Mike Woodson? I'll toss in a bag of Cheeto's....

It hasn't been the most important trade. Cp3 was.

mavwar53
02-26-2014, 07:42 PM
So that would seem to put the clips roster total at 30 players right?

Baller1
02-26-2014, 07:42 PM
Clippers are signing the whole league.

Chi StateOfMind
02-26-2014, 07:50 PM
Clippers need to just come out with a memo... Dont try and sign anyone bc we are

5ass
02-26-2014, 07:54 PM
Good situation in la, he can assume the starting sf spot if he's in shape. I hope he goes there. Seems like a great fit

ThuglifeJ
02-26-2014, 07:54 PM
am i the only one who feels Granger shouldn't have this 'I don't want to play for Sixers' entitlement?

I get the whole wanting to play for contender crap...but really you're getting paid 7 figures...give me a break.

Wade n Fade
02-26-2014, 07:55 PM
Who is a better buyout player to get in general? Caron Butler or Danny Granger? I would go Caron Butler based off skillset and intangibles for Granger because he can bring playoff experience.

kobe4thewinbang
02-26-2014, 08:08 PM
I think the Spurs could use him more and under Pop's guidance, I think he might flourish again.

kobe4thewinbang
02-26-2014, 08:13 PM
am i the only one who feels Granger shouldn't have this 'I don't want to play for Sixers' entitlement?

I get the whole wanting to play for contender crap...but really you're getting paid 7 figures...give me a break.The NBA is a business, and negotiations happen. It was a mutual decision.
Professional athletes are "spoiled" I guess but again they have the right to reach agreements about things.
:shrug:

SPURSFAN1
02-26-2014, 08:15 PM
I think the Spurs could use him more and under Pop's guidance, I think he might flourish again.

Pop gives the hard sell sometimes. He should understand Tim's time is coming and we're small at the 3 or when we play small ball. He needs to guarantee granger 15-20 mins so he signs.

torocan
02-26-2014, 08:18 PM
It hasn't been the most important trade. Cp3 was.

I don't really count the CP3 trade since CP3 was going to go to the Lakers had the NBA not stepped in to nullify the deal.

Not going to get into a discussion of whether the NBA should have stepped in or not, but without the NBA interfering with the trade there's no way that CP3 goes to the Clippers. In other words, the Clippers didn't win the "trade" for CP3, they backed into a trade for CP3.

The Doc trade is 100% on the Clippers FO, and it's paying some very nice dividends.

Chronz
02-26-2014, 08:21 PM
One of Doc's biggest weakness in BOS was that he was horrible at integrating new players into the lineup midseason. Maybe they just got him the wrong players but he never had any success with it.
PJ Brown was good, but who struggled there but did better elsewhere?

Lakers + Giants
02-26-2014, 08:26 PM
Paul / Collison
Reddick / Crawford
Granger / Barnes / Dudley
Griffin / Davis
Jordan

****in STACKED!

shep33
02-26-2014, 08:39 PM
The Clips are so stacked. A lot of pressure on CP3 this year to win a title.

kobe4thewinbang
02-26-2014, 08:43 PM
The Clips are so stacked. A lot of pressure on CP3 this year to win a title.If not this year, then they *must* win next year.

SPURSFAN1
02-26-2014, 08:49 PM
If not this year, then they *must* win next year.

Rinse and repeat every year. lol

Lakers + Giants
02-26-2014, 08:59 PM
Rinse and repeat every year. lol

Yea, with so much talent and depth you have to win a ring at least once to not be considered a disappointment. Obviously I don't mean individually because we all know how good CP3 is, but still. Ring or bust.

goingfor28
02-26-2014, 09:15 PM
So that would seem to put the clips roster total at 30 players right?

14, good try though :)

NBA_Starter
02-26-2014, 09:32 PM
He could possibly start for the Clippers, no?

sep11ie
02-26-2014, 09:37 PM
So the league is allowing the Clips a 40 player roster?

Cracka2HI!
02-27-2014, 12:01 AM
I don't really count the CP3 trade since CP3 was going to go to the Lakers had the NBA not stepped in to nullify the deal.

Not going to get into a discussion of whether the NBA should have stepped in or not, but without the NBA interfering with the trade there's no way that CP3 goes to the Clippers. In other words, the Clippers didn't win the "trade" for CP3, they backed into a trade for CP3.

The Doc trade is 100% on the Clippers FO, and it's paying some very nice dividends.WTF!!!! This is absolutely ABSURD! I don't want to debate the Laker CP3 trade either. It's irrelevant in the fact the Clippers traded for CP3 and that is by far a bigger trade than Doc. Getting CP3 is the greatest day in franchise history....sadly. Do you think Doc comes and coaches here if we still had guys the caliber of Brunson, Piatkowski, Closs and Olowakandi starting?

The Clips are so stacked. A lot of pressure on CP3 this year to win a title.

If not this year, then they *must* win next year.
I don't see it this year. I think there is a 3 year window including this one but I agree the pressure is on CP3 for sure.

5ass
02-27-2014, 12:21 AM
Nice. I think he's the one who guards durant the most should they face okc. Throwing dudley, granger and barnes on duramt is a good idea

Cracka2HI!
02-27-2014, 12:23 AM
As for the topic. I'd love to see Granger on the Clippers. They need him BAD. This bench I am watching is just terrible. I'm not sure Granger is what people are making him out to be though. I doubt he would start for us. I'm sure he's an upgrade over Dudley but I doubt he can beat out Banes. I don't think he's healthy enough to play big minutes either. I think he'd help but I don't think this would be a huge move either.

ironkobe
02-27-2014, 12:27 AM
he want get playing time on the spurs he will just take the t mac role

Clippersfan86
02-27-2014, 10:58 AM
He's Clippers bound most likely according to all the latest. He's in LA to meet with the team and his agent/reps spent all night with the Clippers front office, went to dinner in and the Rockets game..

I personally think Granger should start at SF. Move Barnes to SG since Crawford is out now too. Barnes/Granger will be good defensively.

Something nobody is talking about is how Big Baby and Granger are just 3 month rentals. Neither have bird rights and I'm 100 percent sure they run for a bigger check than minimum in the summer. Which sucks.

kdspurman
02-27-2014, 11:05 AM
^His reps are still going to meet with folks from Rockets/Spurs/Mavs still I believe.

Clippersfan86
02-27-2014, 11:46 AM
Maybe. But over the last 3 years the only free agents we didn't get were Artest and Jr Smith who chose NY. Everybody else the Clippers wanted, they got pretty much. Number 1 destination in the NBA along with the Heat in recent years.

Clippersfan86
02-27-2014, 11:49 AM
With us he will get way more playing time and possibly start. Not to mention most players prefer LA. Pay from Spurs is no better and Pop will play him behind Kahwi, so I don't see Spurs but we'll know by today or tomorrow.

kdspurman
02-27-2014, 12:10 PM
We'll see what happens. He'll have less pressure on him in SA, and it'll be more comparable to the environment he had in Indy. Smaller market, less spotlight, etc... Guess it depends on what he wants. I remember the Spurs wanted Butler a couple years back and he chose the Clippers. It was nice when they met in the playoffs needless to say lol.

But, LA is obviously the "sexier" location, so I would not be surprised in the least if that's where he ends up.

Heediot
02-27-2014, 12:11 PM
He's Clippers bound most likely according to all the latest. He's in LA to meet with the team and his agent/reps spent all night with the Clippers front office, went to dinner in and the Rockets game..

I personally think Granger should start at SF. Move Barnes to SG since Crawford is out now too. Barnes/Granger will be good defensively.

Something nobody is talking about is how Big Baby and Granger are just 3 month rentals. Neither have bird rights and I'm 100 percent sure they run for a bigger check than minimum in the summer. Which sucks.

Baby might be re sign-able for another year as Orlando is paying him for next year as well. Granger can be re-signed if we move both Dudley and Barnes (both movable contracts) for cap room and 2nd rounders, which will open up the MLE. The problem with just the MLE is that it can be outbid, but going with his production so far this year and his injury history the MLE sounds fair. If he averages 15 plus with the Clippers he'll probably earn another 2-3 million from other bidders.

sixers247
02-27-2014, 12:38 PM
I really don't see why people would want him to start. He is only a spot up shooter and a bad one at that. He lost alot of his athleticism and he shots like 25% on isolation plays. Just another body in my eyes. There is a reason he was traded for Evan Turner, who is not very good either. I wanted him to stay on the sixers because i thought he would be brutal and help them lose LOL.

Clippersfan86
02-27-2014, 01:48 PM
Granger is having a bad year shooting wise but that's not why the Clippers want him. What they want is a guy who can help stop the bleeding on our D and rebounding. A veteran guy who is a class act.

Chronz
02-27-2014, 02:30 PM
He could possibly start for the Clippers, no?

As bad as our SF's have been, hes been equally bad. Barnes has played better of late and both he and Dudley have a history of outplaying Granger impact wise, so unless he has some sort of rebirth or at the least rediscovers his jumper, I hope he doesn't start.

P&GRealist
02-27-2014, 10:16 PM
He's leaning towards the Clippers according to ESPN

todu82
02-28-2014, 01:01 AM
I think it'd make more sense for him to go to the Spurs, he seems more like a Spurs than a Clippers player to me.

Clippersfan86
02-28-2014, 01:26 AM
Candace Buckner ‏@CandaceDBuckner 2m
Just heard from a source close to Danny Granger that he's going to the Los Angeles Clippers. Will be there tomorrow.

Tony_Starks
02-28-2014, 01:31 AM
Going to LA is his best bet. Pop would probably just get him and stash him on the bench as a insurance policy....

Clippersfan86
02-28-2014, 01:34 AM
Going to LA is his best bet. Pop would probably just get him and stash him on the bench as a insurance policy....

Yup behind Kawhi. Plus Clippers don't have any worse of a shot than SA, especially with Granger and Davis now. If we can just get healthy...

Clippersfan86
02-28-2014, 01:42 AM
Buckner is a Pacers beat writer BTW.

Lakers + Giants
02-28-2014, 02:01 AM
Adrian Wojnarowski ‏@WojYahooNBA
Free agent Danny Granger informed Doc Rivers tonight that he will sign with the Los Angeles Clippers, league sources tell Yahoo Sports.

It's Woj, it's official.

Clippersfan86
02-28-2014, 02:05 AM
So like I said.. the Clippers get who they want. Outside of Jr Smith and Metta World Peace the last two years every single free agent we battled for with other teams, we won.

5ass
02-28-2014, 02:09 AM
So like I said.. the Clippers get who they want. Outside of Jr Smith and Metta World Peace the last two years every single free agent we battled for with other teams, we won.

good for you. now win a chip.

SPURSFAN1
02-28-2014, 03:01 AM

lol

Clippersfan86
02-28-2014, 03:04 AM

Not sure how that's relevant. None of the players were superstars or anything, just role players. Half of them don't pan out of course, but the point is we aren't losing bidding wars with anybody besides maybe Miami, which bodes well for the future.

People forget Blake is 24, DJ 25, Paul 28 and Doc is obviously still pretty young. This core is going to be competing together for 7-10 years together most likely. This is just the beginning.

goingfor28
02-28-2014, 03:45 AM
Baby and Granger, not too shabby LA

Chronz
02-28-2014, 03:47 AM
Not sure how that's relevant. None of the players were superstars or anything, just role players. Half of them don't pan out of course, but the point is we aren't losing bidding wars with anybody besides maybe Miami, which bodes well for the future.

People forget Blake is 24, DJ 25, Paul 28 and Doc is obviously still pretty young. This core is going to be competing together for 7-10 years together most likely. This is just the beginning.

Gotta admit, its good to have those positions set for the near future, barring injury of course. I hope CP3 ages well and that neither of our athletic bigs suffer dramatically as they enter their late 20's. But we are prolly going to need an upgrade at the swing positions.

Clippersfan86
02-28-2014, 03:49 AM
Yea we definitely need a wing. Bullock I pray emerges into that.

meloman1592
02-28-2014, 03:57 AM

Lol so?

Cracka2HI!
02-28-2014, 04:34 AM
Pretty stoked for the Clippers! I agree with most of CF was saying I would just word it more politely LOL! I think the better news of the day was the Big Baby signed on for next year as well. That's a huge hole filled for next year too at the minimum! Great day for Clipper Management. It's weird seeing the where they are at as an entire organization. This doesn't seem like some stoke of luck. I'm hoping this means Dudley is out of the lineup. I like the guy but I'm tired of watching him play.

Pakman
02-28-2014, 06:12 AM
They could add whoever they want. Still not winning a chip with how poorly they play defense.

Goose17
02-28-2014, 06:36 AM

Yeah? And I'm sure that has nothing to do with the fact that you're based in L.A

ChitownbullsBG7
02-28-2014, 07:12 AM
Gotta admit, its good to have those positions set for the near future, barring injury of course. I hope CP3 ages well and that neither of our athletic bigs suffer dramatically as they enter their late 20's. But we are prolly going to need an upgrade at the swing positions.

Weren't you a Lakers fan just last year?

Goose17
02-28-2014, 08:48 AM

LOL... seriously? That's crazy if true.

Slug3
02-28-2014, 10:39 AM

I am not a big Clipper fan or anything, but if Miami doesnt win it I would be fine if the Clippers did so it could keep the Lakers down as long as possible.

bleedprple&gold
02-28-2014, 11:09 AM
Clips promised Granger a ton of playong time when they already have Dudley, Barnes and Turk. Not sure how thats going to work. I really thought he would go to the Spurs. Seems like theres more playing time available there. Clips just trying to stockpile as many guys as they can hoping someone will be that player to put then over the edge.

Slug3
02-28-2014, 11:16 AM
Clips promised Granger a ton of playong time when they already have Dudley, Barnes and Turk. Not sure how thats going to work. I really thought he would go to the Spurs. Seems like theres more playing time available there. Clips just trying to stockpile as many guys as they can hoping someone will be that player to put then over the edge.

I think Granger is better than Dudley and Turk. If he can stay healthy he should be seeing more time then them.

Iron24th
02-28-2014, 12:24 PM

Sounds a little too optimistic imo, because of CP3 health issues, but who knows...

Clippersfan86
02-28-2014, 02:28 PM
Sounds a little too optimistic imo, because of CP3 health issues, but who knows...

True 7-10 is long. Maybe 5-6 years. Either way young core. Redick is only 29 and should age well too with our core (he's signed 4 years).

Clippersfan86
02-28-2014, 02:30 PM
Yeah? And I'm sure that has nothing to do with the fact that you're based in L.A

They've been based in L.A for over two decades. Free agents and even their own players used to run from L.A as fast as they can. The fact that the team went from no power to lure anybody whatsoever, to THE top sell in the entire league in a matter of a few years is astounding.

Chronz
02-28-2014, 02:39 PM

No.

Turk is our PF. Barnes can play 2-4 with Reddick and Crawford out. But yeah, when(or IF) they all come back, its pretty crowded. I hope Granger doesn't keep playing as bad as he has all year, otherwise he doesn't deserve the PT.