PDA

View Full Version : Bulls' Mock Playoffs: DAL vs SAS

Shammyguy3
02-25-2014, 06:41 PM
This year the Bulls' Forum held a Mock-Trade deadline game. During this game, due to there being some really bad teams, some rosters were combined with others to increase parity. All teams made the playoffs. Users acted as GMs and tried to improve their team primarily through trade. All players are 100% healthy in these scenarios. So, in a 7-game series which team would win?

4. Dallas
PG: Kyle Lowry - C.J. Watson - C.J. McCollum
SG: Arron Afflalo - Martell Webster - James Jones - Tony Snell
SF: Kawhi Leonard - Wesley Johnson - Chris Singleton
PF: Dirk Nowitzki - Jason Thompson
C: Andre Drummond - Samuel Dalembert - Aaron Gray

5. San Antonio
PG: Kemba Walker - DJ Augustin - Chauncey Billups
SG: Eric Gordon - Marco Belinelli - Austin Rivers
SF: Jared Dudley - Andrei Kirilenko - Giannis Antetokounmpo
PF: Tim Duncan - Carlos Boozer - Jason Smith
C: Dwight Howard - Omer Asik - Tyler Zeller

*** Dallas has Home-court advantage

Dallas Writeup
First off, congrats to Nate on advancing a round in the playoffs. I hate to say it, but his journey is about to end. He’s build an unconventional team for today’s era – dominant bigs with average backcourt production. Here’s why Dallas will win this series:

It’s built around ample three point shooting and multiple ball-handlers. Seriously fantastic shooting: Lowry, Afflalo, Leonard, Dirk, Watson, Webster, and Johnson have combined for a total of 585 made threes on 1,498 attempts. That’s a 39.1% total – all from guys who are averaging 3 or more attempts per36 minutes. Yes, there’s a lot of shooting. But this isn’t your Cleveland Cavaliers with Lebron – one guy with shooters. We have a number of guys that can get their own shot in Lowry, Afflalo, and Dirk. Not only do we have guys that can score on their own, but we also have some of the best rebounders at their respective positions in Drummond, Leonard, Afflalo, and Lowry to make up for Dirk’s mediocre rebounding. Also – that perimeter defensive trio of Lowry – Afflalo – Leonard will lock down Kemba Walker, Eric Gordon, and Jared Dudley. Where will the majority of points have to come from? Tim Duncan and Dwight Howard. Now those guys are great, and while my team does not possess an over-whelming interior defense, we have enough to slow down that offense.

As a whole, my team just possesses a great balance of players that can play on both sides of the court, can crash the boards and handle the ball, and so forth. I’m sure people will question Andre Drummond’s free throw rate right off the bat, but we have a very good backup in Dalembert that we can put into the game if it becomes a hack-a-Andre contest. Not only is Dally a great backup, but our bench as a whole can maintain a solid level of play especially versus the Spurs bench which has not one but FIVE one-way players. In the end, SAS is banking on two guys to carry an offense – one of which is past his prime in Duncan and the other in Howard who is better suited as a 2nd option offensively.

KnicksorBust
02-25-2014, 10:06 PM
I loved that Duncan-Dwight pairing but that backcourt catches up with them here. Dallas advances and is a serious threat moving forward.

bloomis1307
02-25-2014, 10:10 PM
I don't agree fully with Dallas' write up....esp the part about them not having any scoring outside of Howard and Duncan (Eric Gordan can score). Dallas does have the better team though in my opinion though.

SPURSFAN1
02-25-2014, 10:14 PM
Duncan would show dwight how to be a winner. Spurs win the defense and rebound wars. Spurs win 4-1. Dirk gets hot for one. The dallas have no depth at the 4 and 5 position. The 2nd spurs unit has a big edge.

Shammyguy3
02-25-2014, 11:44 PM
No depth at the 4 or 5? You mean my backups right now who are averaging 26mpg and 20mpg aren't good enough to sub in for Dirk and Drummond? I think that's way too critical of a single aspect of my team, of which they're backing up arguably top-5 players at their positions based on their performance this year against their peers.

Shammyguy3
02-25-2014, 11:45 PM
I don't agree fully with Dallas' write up....esp the part about them not having any scoring outside of Howard and Duncan (Eric Gordan can score). Dallas does have the better team though in my opinion though.

Gordon's averaging a 53.5ts% 49.2efg% 106 ORtg 15.3 PER 0.068 WS/48 ... and he'll be guarded by the likes of Afflalo & Leonard

TrueFan420
02-26-2014, 01:18 AM
Spurs could and should have a far better side but messed it up by keeping Dwight and Duncan. Hell he could have moved boozer and asik and created a more balanced side but his stubbornness cost him what could have been a championship. I'm not too sold on Dallas winning it all but they advance this round.

Shammyguy3
02-26-2014, 01:19 PM
bump

king4day
02-26-2014, 04:43 PM
Can't believe Dallas is winning by a large margin. Spurs bench does it for me. They could start for some teams. Not a bad balance of offense and defense.

Shammyguy3
02-26-2014, 05:21 PM
Martell Webster, Jason Thompson, and Samuel Dalembert could also all start for some teams

SPURSFAN1
02-26-2014, 05:58 PM
Martell Webster, Jason Thompson, and Samuel Dalembert could also all start for some teams

Lottery teams. hahahahaha

SPURSFAN1
02-26-2014, 06:01 PM
Can I ask a question? Does 100% healthy mean Tim Duncan has good knees again? I mean he's still a beast without them. I was just wondering.

Ezio
02-26-2014, 09:25 PM
Can I ask a question? Does 100% healthy mean Tim Duncan has good knees again? I mean he's still a beast without them. I was just wondering.

Maybe we should start setting these players to their primes?

aLau10
02-26-2014, 09:38 PM
Still think my team of Conley - Wade - Iggy - LMA - Horford wouldve prevailed through all!!!!

TrueFan420
02-26-2014, 09:46 PM
Still think my team of Conley - Wade - Iggy - LMA - Horford wouldve prevailed through all!!!!

Yea you probably would have won the whole thing.

TrueFan420
02-26-2014, 09:46 PM

Shammy you can't seriously believe that.

Shammyguy3
02-27-2014, 01:33 AM

No, it's 100% healthy this season, not in their primes.

Shammy you can't seriously believe that.

Why can't I?
Webster started 82% of games last season for the Wizards. This season he's posting very similar numbers INCLUDING minutes per game. This season though he's just playing them off the bench.
Jason Thompson has started 76% of games in his career, 88% of games the past three seasons, and 89% of games this year.
Samuel Dalembert has started 79% of games this season as well.

Would these guys be great starters? Obviously not. Above average starters? Nope. But to credit the Spurs' bench as a deciding factor in this series because some of those guys could start for teams is dumb when the same thing can be said about my team.

Most importantly though, is that I just have the better team. It's more well-rounded, ALL players have elite ts%es and very good PERs/Win Shares/ORtgs. I don't have undersized players at any position. I have the best #1 option in Dirk over Duncan or Dwight, and so forth.

If you even want to judge it just by head to head matchups (which isn't entirely accurate), that's in my favor too
Lowry > Kemba
Afflalo > Gordon
Leonard > Dudley
Dirk ? Duncan
Drummond < Dwight

you could argue Duncan's a better all-around player, but I think Dirk's ridiculous efficiency offensively is more of a factor for my team than Duncan's defense is for the Spurs because of Dwight