PDA

View Full Version : Old School Question of the Day: What kind of Numbers would Noah put up in the 80/90's

JasonJohnHorn
02-25-2014, 10:56 AM
Joakim Noah is among the most skilled big men in the league today. He can pass, defend, and he's got a jumper. If he were transposed into the mid-late 80's and early 90's, how do you think he would fair in a league with Hakeem, D-Rob, a older Kareem, Ewing and eventually Shaq and Mourning?

D_Rose1118
02-25-2014, 11:08 AM
I think he would still be good, but be in a different tier then those guys listed. he would fit right in with his attitude and energy however.

bbcmillionaire
02-25-2014, 11:37 AM
Lol the question is how many fights would he get into?

Mile High Champ
02-25-2014, 01:02 PM
I actually believe Noah would struggle a bit. His game is finesse based and I think he would have tremendous difficulty against traditional centers of the league. If anything, he would likely be a PF in the "old" NBA game. Noah would have a challenge with the old rule and the physical nature of what defenders could get away with in the post. I think he would also struggle with his offensive rebounding and his rebounding % would drop in a big way. I also question him having a jumper. This year Noah only has hit 31% of his jump shots this season. He has also attempted only 91 of his 500 shots this season outside of 10 feet, so it is difficult to say he has a jump shot. I like Noah a lot but sometimes I feel he is beginning to become overrated by many. I still love his game but his value as a player is increased because of the lack of great talent at his position. He would be in trouble if he played in another era.

smiddy012
02-25-2014, 01:28 PM
Yeah I absolutely love Noah, he's my fave player, but he would struggle, even when all you're taking into account were the greater quality of big men back then.

Still though, I think the addition of a mid-range shot would make a great difference, just like it would for him in today's game. To me, it could be the difference between stardom and superstardom. That rodeo has already come, and left, town though.

abe_froman
02-25-2014, 01:39 PM
the first reaction is that his numbers would take a dip when going up against higher class of centers...but he would also get the ball more as the strategy back than was mostly for guards to get the ball to big man first rather than centers be the last option....i could see him putting up something like a vlade divac

b@llhog24
02-25-2014, 02:06 PM
9/10/4

D-Leethal
02-25-2014, 02:11 PM
He would play PF next to one of those guys.

Chronz
02-25-2014, 03:48 PM
Wouldn't he just be Horace Grant with better passing? So, an All-Star caliber player.

Hawkeye15
02-25-2014, 03:56 PM
15/10/3/2 type PF back then imo.

Hawkeye15
02-25-2014, 03:56 PM
Wouldn't he just be Horace Grant with better passing? So, an All-Star caliber player.

nice sig. Even when that ****er misses against us, we let him make it..

Cal827
02-25-2014, 03:57 PM
the first reaction is that his numbers would take a dip when going up against higher class of centers...but he would also get the ball more as the strategy back than was mostly for guards to get the ball to big man first rather than centers be the last option....i could see him putting up something like a vlade divac

This. I kinda see a Divac.

The issue with Noah, is he's a Jack of all trades, but a master of none. In the 80s, 90s, many of the big men there were masters of the interior. Whether it involved inside-out (Hakeem), or just plain power (Shaq). He would be decent, but there would be some serious issue when guys like Hakeem, Shaq, Malone, Barkley, Ewing, Robinson and co come along.

5ass
02-25-2014, 04:07 PM
Def a PF

Shammyguy3
02-25-2014, 04:58 PM
This. I kinda see a Divac.

The issue with Noah, is he's a Jack of all trades, but a master of none. In the 80s, 90s, many of the big men there were masters of the interior. Whether it involved inside-out (Hakeem), or just plain power (Shaq). He would be decent, but there would be some serious issue when guys like Hakeem, Shaq, Malone, Barkley, Ewing, Robinson and co come along.

Define master in this context, because Noah's arguably the best passing center in the game and is also an elite all-around defender

KnicksorBust
02-25-2014, 05:04 PM
Define master in this context, because Noah's arguably the best passing center in the game and is also an elite all-around defender

Yeah which makes him hard to compare. I'm having a tough time. I was working with some type of Charles Oakley/Chris Webber hybrid but even that doesn't feel right.

JordansBulls
02-25-2014, 05:18 PM
About 7 ppg and 8 rpg on 42% FG

KnicksorBust
02-25-2014, 05:19 PM
About 7 ppg and 8 rpg on 42% FG

Betrayal.

Shammyguy3
02-25-2014, 06:03 PM
Noah's never lead us to HCA, that's why. Just wait until the Bulls get HCA (even in this ****** Eastern Conference). JB will come back to this thread and edit his post to 17/18 on 62% from the field

KnicksorBust
02-25-2014, 10:01 PM
Noah's never lead us to HCA, that's why. Just wait until the Bulls get HCA (even in this ****** Eastern Conference). JB will come back to this thread and edit his post to 17/18 on 62% from the field

:laugh:

Mile High Champ
02-26-2014, 12:10 PM

Elite at weak side defense but one on one, he is not elite. Not by any stretch of the imagination. He is terrific guarding the pick n roll but he is still sub par at defending the post. He gives up .89 PPP which ain't great.

Cal827
02-26-2014, 12:50 PM

:laugh2:

Cal827
02-26-2014, 01:03 PM

Probably should have mentioned that my comment was referring to him defensively. I do think he's the best passing big man out there overall (PFs included). He is very very good defensively (little bit better on the roll defense, but good with both), but there is also the issue of competition that he deals with now at Center and what he would have to deal with then.

4 of the best Cs (excluding Noah) in the League today are Demarcus Cousins, Dwight Howard, Roy Hibbert, and Marc Gasol. In that list, the best post players of the group are probably Cousins and Gasol. Another thing that should be noted that other than Hibbert, he doesn't deal with the others as much as they are in the west. For the most part, Noah has done an excellent job when having to defend Hibbert (He's only shooting roughly 42% in head to head matchups), but neither Hibbert or the other players are to the caliber of guys like Robinson, Shaq, Ewing, etc.

Then again, if he was around that time, the team would probably focus more on strength rather than being a defender of everyone... Especially if he was still on the Bulls.

Jordan
Pippen
Rodman
Noah

That wouldn't give up much lol

Shammyguy3
02-26-2014, 01:48 PM
Elite at weak side defense but one on one, he is not elite. Not by any stretch of the imagination. He is terrific guarding the pick n roll but he is still sub par at defending the post. He gives up .89 PPP which ain't great.

Is that for this season? I'd like to see the last few years as well, idk if that's possible

Probably should have mentioned that my comment was referring to him defensively. I do think he's the best passing big man out there overall (PFs included). He is very very good defensively (little bit better on the roll defense, but good with both), but there is also the issue of competition that he deals with now at Center and what he would have to deal with then.

4 of the best Cs (excluding Noah) in the League today are Demarcus Cousins, Dwight Howard, Roy Hibbert, and Marc Gasol. In that list, the best post players of the group are probably Cousins and Gasol. Another thing that should be noted that other than Hibbert, he doesn't deal with the others as much as they are in the west. For the most part, Noah has done an excellent job when having to defend Hibbert (He's only shooting roughly 42% in head to head matchups), but neither Hibbert or the other players are to the caliber of guys like Robinson, Shaq, Ewing, etc.

Then again, if he was around that time, the team would probably focus more on strength rather than being a defender of everyone... Especially if he was still on the Bulls.

Jordan
Pippen
Rodman
Noah

That wouldn't give up much lol

Completely agree. I think Noah in the 80s/90s would have averaged 13/13/3, not all that different from his numbers today. He'd be better off as a PF for sure though, unless there was a guy like Rodman next to him for defending the post-dominant guys