PDA

View Full Version : Why doesn't the NCAA adopt NBA rules?

TorontoHuskies
02-24-2014, 11:10 PM
I'm wondering why the NCAA continues to stick with it's stupid rules when they are counterproductive to the development of any player trying to make the NBA. How do these help anyone?

1) 40 minutes games for young players.
2) 5 foul ejection rule leads to star players sitting out almost entire halfs because they have 2 fouls (if you increased to 6 they could stay in with 2)
3) 35 second shot clock is way too long (I see how this could help a player learn plays but 30 seconds in more then enough)
4) shortened 3 point line
5) No three second defensive violation

***Title should be why doesn't the NCAA adopt NBA Rules?

Slug3
02-25-2014, 12:36 AM
Because most of the college players won't see the nba anyway. If you are good enough to make the nba none of this will bother you when you make the leap. Really these players learn sets and plays and become coachable in college. This is sometimes why when the young kids came to the nba they failed. They didn't go to college and didn't learn anything.

TorontoHuskies
02-25-2014, 01:00 AM
Because most of the college players won't see the nba anyway. If you are good enough to make the nba none of this will bother you when you make the leap. Really these players learn sets and plays and become coachable in college. This is sometimes why when the young kids came to the nba they failed. They didn't go to college and didn't learn anything.

But how do these NCAA specific rules help anyone prepare for the NBA? For example, I was watching Kansas today and Andrew Wiggins gets two weak fouls in the first 10 minutes and is forced to sit out the rest of the half. How does a player learn anything from that? if anything there should be an extra foul for these players so they can learn what they can and can't do.

TorontoHuskies
02-25-2014, 01:03 AM
The NBA should just create it's own league for top high school prospects to goto with rules similar to their own like they have in other sports. A lot of these players don't give a **** about going to school anyways so at-least let them prepare for the league properly.

Dade County
02-25-2014, 01:20 AM
The NBA should just create it's own league for top high school prospects to goto with rules similar to their own like they have in other sports. A lot of these players don't give a **** about going to school anyways so at-least let them prepare for the league properly.

The D League...?

Emperor Eye
02-25-2014, 01:21 AM
farm league, europe style. get rid of the ncaa.

Slug3
02-25-2014, 01:23 AM
But how do these NCAA specific rules help anyone prepare for the NBA? For example, I was watching Kansas today and Andrew Wiggins gets two weak fouls in the first 10 minutes and is forced to sit out the rest of the half. How does a player learn anything from that? if anything there should be an extra foul for these players so they can learn what they can and can't do.

It will teach them to play d with their body and not their hands. It's 5 fouls cause it's only 40 minutes compared to 48 in the nba. People sometimes pick up 2 fouls fast and have to sit in the nba. But college usually doesn't cater to stars like the nba does.

TorontoHuskies
02-25-2014, 01:27 AM
The D League...?

No that's for pro's...I'm talking about a league for amateurs (people out of high school). The NHL has the CHL for example so players can choose to go there instead of the NCAA.

TorontoHuskies
02-25-2014, 01:34 AM
It will teach them to play d with their body and not their hands. It's 5 fouls cause it's only 40 minutes compared to 48 in the nba. People sometimes pick up 2 fouls fast and have to sit in the nba. But college usually doesn't cater to stars like the nba does.

Yea I understand they do that because the games are shorter but I still think that it easier to manage 6 fouls in 48 minutes than 5 in 40 minutes. i've literally seen players get 2 fouls in the first couple minutes and have to sit for 18 minutes straight something is wrong with that. The NCAA uses extended shot clocks so that it helps players run/learn plays so why not give them an extra foul too so they aren't punished so severely for a learning mistake or dumb call?

dhopisthename
02-25-2014, 01:57 AM
No that's for pro's...I'm talking about a league for amateurs (people out of high school). The NHL has the CHL for example so players can choose to go there instead of the NCAA.

you can go the dleauge if you want. In fact I think for stars like wiggins its where they should go. hire a trainer, nutritionist, agent, and go to a team with a good coach.

TheMightyHumph
02-25-2014, 01:59 AM
Different initials

TorontoHuskies
02-25-2014, 02:12 AM
you can go the dleauge if you want. In fact I think for stars like wiggins its where they should go. hire a trainer, nutritionist, agent, and go to a team with a good coach.

I thought you could only do that if you don't get drafted or have gone pro...I've never seen someone enter the draft from the d-league have you?

abe_froman
02-25-2014, 02:17 AM
I thought you could only do that if you don't get drafted or have gone pro...I've never seen someone enter the draft from the d-league have you?
glenn rice jr last year

but its hardly ever happens because nobody worth draft goes to the d league,the national exposure and competition level resides with the ncaa ,and thats something that will never change

TorontoHuskies
02-25-2014, 02:30 AM
glenn rice jr last year

but its hardly ever happens because nobody worth draft goes to the d league,the national exposure and competition level resides with the ncaa ,and thats something that will never change

I wish all the top prospects chose to do that because it would be way better developing in a league like that..But the d-league doesn't have the rep to do it so it would probably be better to create a league just for NBA prospects.

NoahH
02-25-2014, 02:47 AM
I think there are some rules the NCAA should adopt, not all of them though.

35 second shot clock seems a touch long but 24 might be too quick especially since not all college players are star talents who are pushing the ball up the floor or whatever. My high school league used 30 second shot clock and that was fine.

3 point line IMO could be deeper. 20 minute halves is a bit dumb. Maybe 4 10min quarters

abe_froman
02-25-2014, 02:55 AM
I wish all the top prospects chose to do that because it would be way better developing in a league like that..But the d-league doesn't have the rep to do it so it would probably be better to create a league just for NBA prospects.

thats what the d league is suppose to be,its just nobody wants to go there and its impossible to make enough want to go there to make that a viable idea.

slashsnake
02-25-2014, 03:03 AM
I think they could have some rule tweaks in college, but not to suit the NBA. 1.2% of college basketball players go on to the NBA.

bootsy
02-25-2014, 11:12 AM
I would like to see advancing the ball to midcourt late in the game. Sick of watching college games where they have to throw full court passes and needing a miracle to win.

2-ONE-5
02-25-2014, 11:23 AM
the differene in rules doesnt affect a players development in anyway, shape, or form. These are student atheltes not professionals they dont need the same rules.

ewing
02-25-2014, 11:26 AM
b/c they have better rules

PurpleLynch
02-25-2014, 11:34 AM
In defense of the Ncaa,the Nba should adopt their rule of timeouts,possibly lowering the number to 4(even if the in the Ncaa is five).Less ads,more game to watch. And coaches are forced to let the players and their IQ take decisions in-game.That,imo,could favor bball IQ in players of the Nba.

blastmasta26
02-25-2014, 12:46 PM
In defense of the Ncaa,the Nba should adopt their rule of timeouts,possibly lowering the number to 4(even if the in the Ncaa is five).Less ads,more game to watch. And coaches are forced to let the players and their IQ take decisions in-game.That,imo,could favor bball IQ in players of the Nba.

I'd like less timeouts but anything that reduces ads is unlikely

scissors
02-25-2014, 12:53 PM
I've always thought a good solution to the 5 fouls would be:

-The first foul out is 6 fouls
-After you have had one player foul out anyone receiving a 5th foul would foul out
-If any players already have 5 fouls when you first player fouls out with 6, the subsequent players would still have to pick up a foul to "foul out".

goingfor28
02-25-2014, 01:09 PM

pj hairston will this year. he was booted from UNC and is in the d league now, but can't sign with any nba teams yet

2-ONE-5
02-25-2014, 01:37 PM
Glen Rice Jr as well and there was someone from KY a few years back for the Cal era but i forget who it was

TorontoHuskies
02-25-2014, 02:15 PM
thats what the d league is suppose to be,its just nobody wants to go there and its impossible to make enough want to go there to make that a viable idea.

Than you basically have to change the NCAA because it's getting stupid. I love the atmosphere in college but the rules are ridiculous the league should cater to the best players because people don't watch these games to see guys like Wiggins, Parker, Embiid sit out halfs.

abe_froman
02-25-2014, 02:29 PM
Than you basically have to change the NCAA because it's getting stupid. I love the atmosphere in college but the rules are ridiculous the league should cater to the best players because people don't watch these games to see guys like Wiggins, Parker, Embiid sit out halfs.

actually its one of the reasons why they watch it,its more of a team game ala europe.its a different brand of ball and not for everyone(obviously,with you),but it def has an audience.if you dont like it than just dont watch and stick to the nba

TorontoHuskies
02-25-2014, 02:41 PM
actually its one of the reasons why they watch it,its more of a team game ala europe.its a different brand of ball and not for everyone(obviously,with you),but it def has an audience.if you dont like it than just dont watch and stick to the nba

I like it for what is, I just don't think it's meant for NBA prospects. I don't think these guys are learning much by shooting from a shortened 3, getting sat out the majority of the game for questionable foul calls, and driving against defense which allow you to stuff 2 or 3 guys in the paint and never get a 3-sec call. These prospects can't even showcase themselves properly with the current rules.

xILLN355
02-25-2014, 02:54 PM
I like it for what is, I just don't think it's meant for NBA prospects. I don't think these guys are learning much by shooting from a shortened 3, getting sat out the majority of the game for questionable foul calls, and driving against defense which allow you to stuff 2 or 3 guys in the paint and never get a 3-sec call. These prospects can't even showcase themselves properly with the current rules.

Andrew Wiggins is that you??

2-ONE-5
02-25-2014, 02:55 PM
im sorry but you are an idiot if you really beleive these kids arent developing or learning anything playing college ball. There are dozens if not more coaches in the NCAA who are good at devloping and teaching players and going to college hasnt stunted one kid in terms of going pro, not one.

2-ONE-5
02-25-2014, 02:56 PM
this whole thread was made bcuz Wiggins has not met the hype too im sure of that.

abe_froman
02-25-2014, 03:27 PM
they can learn much from it,most of these kids cant hit it from that range with any sort of consistency,they're products of aau ball where they dont teach any of them how to play/shoot ,ect.

TorontoHuskies
02-25-2014, 08:00 PM
this whole thread was made bcuz Wiggins has not met the hype too im sure of that.

I don't think Jabari has either...The guy starts the season looking amazing from the 3 goes into a slump and now he basically plays C in college when he's clearly going to be a SF in the NBA. Also, Look at a team like Kentucky, before the season they were the sure #1 team with the highest recruiting class and yet all those players have performed worse than expected. How much is that because they are playing NCAA and how much of that is just because they were over hyped?

2-ONE-5
02-25-2014, 08:29 PM
Parker hasnt lived up to the hype are you serious? the dude plays 4 positions on the court effectively.

2-ONE-5
02-25-2014, 08:31 PM
they all hit a rookie/freshman wall like Parker did, Wiggins did, Randle did, etc but they all have been great plus others. wiggins hasnt been close to the hype but hes been good, really good all things considered.

mike_noodles
02-25-2014, 08:49 PM
This is a terrible thread idea. If you seriously do not get the concept that there are at least 1400 student athletes in NCAA men's basketball and that only a few of these players will even get a sniff of the NBA, I don't know what to tell you.

TorontoHuskies
02-25-2014, 09:14 PM
Parker hasnt lived up to the hype are you serious? the dude plays 4 positions on the court effectively.

He was hyped up as a being a great shooter but since November 24 he's only shooting 30% from the 3 and his defense has been so bad that he been benched during the ends of games. So yea I'm very serious, teams have figured out how to guard him as a SF so now he's stuck playing the 4/5 which means he could end being a tweener in the NBA for all I know (he struggles to guard 3's and score as one). Having said that, It could again just be because of the college game and he might be great in the NBA.

TorontoHuskies
02-25-2014, 09:16 PM
This is a terrible thread idea. If you seriously do not get the concept that there are at least 1400 student athletes in NCAA men's basketball and that only a few of these players will even get a sniff of the NBA, I don't know what to tell you.

Yea I'm saying to take the ones who will most likely sniff the NBA out and put them in their own league and leave the rest.

2-ONE-5
02-25-2014, 10:31 PM
He was hyped up as a being a great shooter but since November 24 he's only shooting 30% from the 3 and his defense has been so bad that he been benched during the ends of games. So yea I'm very serious, teams have figured out how to guard him as a SF so now he's stuck playing the 4/5 which means he could end being a tweener in the NBA for all I know (he struggles to guard 3's and score as one). Having said that, It could again just be because of the college game and he might be great in the NBA.

no he hasnt been benched at the end of games. he started hot and when he hit the wall he adjusted and focused on playing more inside and has been great at doing so. He has been playing at the 4 most of the season so either you just like to hate bcuz hes outplaying Wiggins or you just dont watch Duke. Regardless NONE of what you said has anything to do with the college game holding him back

2-ONE-5
02-25-2014, 10:32 PM
Yea I'm saying to take the ones who will most likely sniff the NBA out and put them in their own league and leave the rest.

and this is incredibly ridiculous. that is what AAU and the Nike Hoop Summit are for. Also not every top prospect pans out and many more surprise.

TorontoHuskies
02-25-2014, 10:51 PM
no he hasnt been benched at the end of games. he started hot and when he hit the wall he adjusted and focused on playing more inside and has been great at doing so. He has been playing at the 4 most of the season so either you just like to hate bcuz hes outplaying Wiggins or you just dont watch Duke. Regardless NONE of what you said has anything to do with the college game holding him back

http://collegebasketballtalk.nbcsports.com/2014/01/04/should-coach-k-have-benched-jabari-parker-in-loss-to-notre-dame/

So I guess what I witnessed never happened and NBC is just talking out of their ***** with this right?

TorontoHuskies
02-25-2014, 10:58 PM
and this is incredibly ridiculous. that is what AAU and the Nike Hoop Summit are for. Also not every top prospect pans out and many more surprise.

but they can still go to college if they want no one's forcing them to go into this other league i'm just saying they should have an option like they do in the other sports.

2-ONE-5
02-26-2014, 11:02 AM
dude you are an idiot. i feel like i got dumber talking to you ive had enough.

Pittz
02-26-2014, 12:09 PM
I'd rather see the NBA adopt NCAA rules, or at least the refs enforce them as they should. NBA basketball is a joke.

TorontoHuskies
02-26-2014, 01:25 PM
dude you are an idiot. i feel like i got dumber talking to you ive had enough.

I felt the same way when you told me that Jabari has never been benched. Seriously, you don't know ***** if you think Jabari will be a better pro.

2-ONE-5
02-26-2014, 01:36 PM
you said games as in plural and you were wrong. Jabari is incredibly far ahead of Wiggins on offense now its not even funny and i dont mind Wiggins i know hes #1 on my teams board and im all for it but he so far behind Parker at the moment you'd have to be a massive homer like you are to not see it.

as for your league idea its riduclous thats why no ones backing you on it.

2-ONE-5
02-26-2014, 01:39 PM
as for Parker getting benched vs ND it wasnt all bcuz he was bad on D its was his worst game of the season by far on both ends. he was a negative for the team that night for the first and only time this year, but thats what a great coach does they use it as a tool to teach which Coach K did

TorontoHuskies
02-26-2014, 01:59 PM
you said games as in plural and you were wrong. Jabari is incredibly far ahead of Wiggins on offense now its not even funny and i dont mind Wiggins i know hes #1 on my teams board and im all for it but he so far behind Parker at the moment you'd have to be a massive homer like you are to not see it.

as for your league idea its riduclous thats why no ones backing you on it.

His D is way better than Parker's and he's only .006% behind him in True Shooting Percentage. All I heard was how great a shooter Jabari is and how Wiggins shot is a weakness and the guys shooting 2% less than him from 3. So basically Jabari is a worse athlete, defender and a marginally better shooter there's no way any smart GM is taking Jabari over Wiggins unless they fear he's going to leave for Toronto at the end of his contract.

TorontoHuskies
02-26-2014, 02:02 PM
as for Parker getting benched vs ND it wasnt all bcuz he was bad on D its was his worst game of the season by far on both ends. he was a negative for the team that night for the first and only time this year, but thats what a great coach does they use it as a tool to teach which Coach K did

That's the whole reason why I like Wiggins better he's not a liability to a team when he has an off night because his d is lock down. He starts missing so what, you just throw him on the opposing teams top player and shut him down and rely on others to score. With Jabari if he isn't hit hitting he basically has to come out of the game because he'll hurt you on both ends.

2-ONE-5
02-26-2014, 02:26 PM
im not sure where you are getting that Parker is suppose to be some sharp shooter but that was never the case. The dude scores in the post, off an offensive board, off the dribble, transition, you name it hes scored it. Wiggins shot isnt good nor is his handle right now hes just good at scoring in transition which isnt impressive. You have to have to an offensive game to be a superstar. He has gotten more aggressvei on drives lately which is a good sign but if he wasnt overhyped like crazy he wouldnt be in the discussion for top pick

ewing
02-26-2014, 02:32 PM
I'd rather see the NBA adopt NCAA rules, or at least the refs enforce them as they should. NBA basketball is a joke.

I agree. I think the 35 second clock brings more strategy into the game and can create battle of style/battle for tempo that is fun. I think the one and one is absolutely the way things should be. 2 halves just means more game time vs commercial time. 5 or 6 fouls is dependent on how you actually call the game so IDK about that one but general i think the NCAA promotes a purer game

TorontoHuskies
02-26-2014, 03:03 PM
I agree. I think the 35 second clock brings more strategy into the game and can create battle of style/battle for tempo that is fun. I think the one and one is absolutely the way things should be. 2 halves just means more game time vs commercial time. 5 or 6 fouls is dependent on how you actually call the game so IDK about that one but general i think the NCAA promotes a purer game

I do like the 1 and 1 but 35 sec is way too long often the players just stand there until the clock is down to 10 before doing anything. They should take the best rules from both leagues and make a new set of rules that applies to both NCAA and NBA..I'd do:

24 Sec shot clock (lone exception 30 just for college)
3-sec in paint
1 and 1 on foul shots
NBA extended 3
NCAA timeout rule
NBA 8 sec back-court rule
NBA Advancing the ball after a timeout
Jumpballs on tie ups
48 min/6Fouls
4 Quarters
Defensive 3-sec