PDA

View Full Version : Old School Question of the Day: How would John Stockton's game translate today?

JasonJohnHorn
02-24-2014, 08:21 AM
When it came to making passing, Stockton was the best I ever saw.
When it came to shooting, Stockton was the best point guard I ever saw.
When it came to court vision, Stockton was the best point guard I ever saw.
When it came to guarding the passing lanes, I've never seen a player better than Stockton.

That said, I'm not sure he would excel in today's game with today's player.

How do you think Stockton's game would translate into today's game? What would his numbers be like? His career is not so long ago, but the way in which teams run their offense has changed dramatically in a short time. Would be be a Nash that could defend? Or Calderon? And what current team could most use his talents?

theducksmuggler
02-24-2014, 09:18 AM
I think he would be on Nash's prime level on the offensive end...on the defensive end i know he would still get steals i just think he would have some difficulty with the faster more athletic point guards on todays game

JasonJohnHorn
02-24-2014, 10:06 AM
I think he would be on Nash's prime level on the offensive end...on the defensive end i know he would still get steals i just think he would have some difficulty with the faster more athletic point guards on todays game

There were some FAST guards back then too... Thomas, Tim Hardaway... trust me... these guys were explosive! There have always been quick guards. Stockton wasn't as 'athletic' or 'fast', but he knew how to position in front of a player and read them.

What teams do you think would improve with him? I'm thinking the Pistons could DESPERATELY use a guy like that. With Stockton in place of Jennings, I think the Pistons would be a championship calibre team.

asandhu23
02-24-2014, 10:42 AM
I think we need to stop the idea that previous generation of NBA weren't athletic enough. Just look at the dunk contests then vs now.

koreancabbage
02-24-2014, 10:45 AM
I think we need to stop the idea that previous generation of NBA weren't athletic enough. Just look at the dunk contests then vs now.

that doesn't mean anything imo i.e. I don't think dunk contests are a good indicator of how athletic a league is.

KnickaBocka.44
02-24-2014, 11:24 AM
He's the best PG of all-time IMO, I think the Nash with defense is an interesting comparison. His trash talking is also extremely underrated.

tredigs
02-24-2014, 11:30 AM
What exactly about his game do you think makes it so he would not crush it in any offensive scheme?

D-Leethal
02-24-2014, 01:33 PM
In this wide open, uptempo, pick and roll, spacing + 3 ball league we see today he would probably put up some of the most video-game like PG stats ever.

COOLbeans
02-24-2014, 01:43 PM
He'd be better than Chris Paul so I'd say the # 1 PG in the game

dhopisthename
02-24-2014, 02:38 PM
The only difference between todays nba and the 90's is that today's nba has guys like westbrook, but even then there are only a couple of guys like that.

Hawkeye15
02-24-2014, 02:47 PM
he would be a 17/13/3/3 player today, and do it on awesome efficiency. Not sure why someone would think he wouldn't excel today. Obviously he would put a little meat on him in todays game, but that is the only difference I can think of. Oh, and not wear shorts so short we get a ball shot every time he drops into defensive stance.

abe_froman
02-24-2014, 02:52 PM
he'd be what he essentially is-steve nash with great defense

Hawkeye15
02-24-2014, 02:55 PM
yeah, I wonder if Stockton would have needed to score more (having Malone and co helps), if he would have been able to easily average in the 20's. He was a poor shooter when he first started, but quickly became an excellent three point shooter, though he never took many.

Hawkeye15
02-24-2014, 02:58 PM
jesus, Stockton missed 4 games in his first 13 seasons. 4. Then he missed 18 at age 35, and played another 5 seasons without missing a game. 22 games missed in 19 seasons. Out of 1526 games he was eligible to play in, he missed 22, and played 1504. That is seriously Iron Man.

abe_froman
02-24-2014, 03:03 PM
yeah, I wonder if Stockton would have needed to score more (having Malone and co helps), if he would have been able to easily average in the 20's. He was a poor shooter when he first started, but quickly became an excellent three point shooter, though he never took many.
that depends on whats around him,but still even though this is the "age of the scoring point" you still have guys that arent scoring heavy ,i'd say his scoring would still be around what his prime was ,say probably 17/18 ppg with about 10-12 apg

Bring The Heat
02-24-2014, 03:21 PM
Best point guard of all time... High basketball IQ, excellent vision, great shooter and played solid defense.

Hellcrooner
02-24-2014, 03:25 PM
Rubio with an offense .
Or Nash with a defense.

Best pg in the game right now, thats what he would be.

Hellcrooner
02-24-2014, 03:26 PM
He is only second to Frigging Magic Johnson all time.

CraigInSanJose
02-24-2014, 04:14 PM
I have long argued that he is the best point guard to play the game, and it's hardly close. Magic was a phenomenal player who played some point guard, but he was in many ways a point forward. Doesn't mean he didn't play the point guard position, but I'd label him more of a combo guard than pure PG.

Stockton is the quintessential floor general; protect the ball, pass the ball, shoot when necessary, score when you have to, play to your team's strengths and defend your position.

I'd say 16/12/3 with 1.7+ steals per game would be expected. Outside of Westbrook and maybe Rose when healthy Stock would be able to lock down guys in this era just as much as in his. Could he guard Lebron or Durant and freaks like them? Probably not, but he wasn't guarding guys that size anyway. Few point guards, if any, would be able to take him to school nowadays.

GunFactor187
02-24-2014, 04:47 PM
Stockton vs. Rondo... :drool:

Hawkeye15
02-24-2014, 04:50 PM
Stockton vs. Rondo... :drool:

Stockton would eat Rondo alive. Better to see him against CP3, they would fight for best PG in the game yearly.

Raidergrant
02-24-2014, 05:07 PM
Lol, not to be rude, but this is a ridiculous question. It's not like he played in the 50's and 60's. He played at the highest level against some of the all time greats. I remember when he was 40 still playing really good basketball. There is no doubt in my mind that he would still get it done at an extremely high level. The question you should be asking is would he still be wearing his short shorts?

Shlumpledink
02-24-2014, 05:13 PM
In a pick and roll league like we have today, John Stockton would reign supreme. He would take these kids to school, and make a lot of players look stupid in comparison

TheMightyHumph
02-24-2014, 09:53 PM
When it came to making passing, Stockton was the best I ever saw.
When it came to shooting, Stockton was the best point guard I ever saw.
When it came to court vision, Stockton was the best point guard I ever saw.
When it came to guarding the passing lanes, I've never seen a player better than Stockton.

That said, I'm not sure he would excel in today's game with today's player.

How do you think Stockton's game would translate into today's game? What would his numbers be like? His career is not so long ago, but the way in which teams run their offense has changed dramatically in a short time. Would be be a Nash that could defend? Or Calderon? And what current team could most use his talents?

I'll respond before I read the other posts.

First, I am a huge John Stockton fan. He might be the best PG ever.

However, Nash is the best passing and shooting PG I've ever seen. Nash may simply be the best shooter I've ever seen.
Kidd had the best courtvision I've ever seen, especially from the backcourt. Nash is right up there in courtvision also, as is Magic.

He might have been the best at playing the passing lanes, but Cheeks and Kidd are right there. Micheal Ray had the quickest hands I've ever seen.

Kidd and Magic (and Oscar) were great rebounding PGs..

Stockton was a great, smart and dirty defender (that's a good thing), but Micheal Ray may have been better.

I think Stockton's game would translate into today's game fine.

TheMightyHumph
02-24-2014, 10:13 PM
jesus, Stockton missed 4 games in his first 13 seasons. 4. Then he missed 18 at age 35, and played another 5 seasons without missing a game. 22 games missed in 19 seasons. Out of 1526 games he was eligible to play in, he missed 22, and played 1504. That is seriously Iron Man.

Stockton would have longer if Mark Jackson hadn't convinced John that the NBA was no longer a league he wanted to play in.

Guppyfighter
02-24-2014, 10:14 PM
He's the best PG of all-time IMO, I think the Nash with defense is an interesting comparison. His trash talking is also extremely underrated.

Hey, Knickabokka,

I already have one of the teams correct and it's not even year three yet.

3RDASYSTEM
02-24-2014, 10:16 PM
There were some FAST guards back then too... Thomas, Tim Hardaway... trust me... these guys were explosive! There have always been quick guards. Stockton wasn't as 'athletic' or 'fast', but he knew how to position in front of a player and read them.

What teams do you think would improve with him? I'm thinking the Pistons could DESPERATELY use a guy like that. With Stockton in place of Jennings, I think the Pistons would be a championship calibre team.

True its been quick guys but not on the level of IVERSON and he basically made STOCKTON fall everytime they played, though STOCKTON was older it wouldn't matter, STOCKTON would be a better version of NASH, 2 way that is, he cant outshoot NASH but everything else he can do but I don't see him as a run and gun but a ANDRE MILLER type savvy get it done guy like he did in for his 19 or 20 yrs with JAZZ, he was money and also he carried/palmed the ball 2x worse than IVERSON and others, he just got away with it but those zip passes to MAILMAN and co. were something nice to watch, palming or not

STOCKTON is the reason why I don't put a lot of stock in longevity because it only applies to like 1 player in history of psd nba talk on here, bean Bryant only benefits from longevity not others, STOCK to me is not a top 5 PG best ever to do it but he has the stats to show for a argument and im a STOCKTON fan I just don't over rank players on individual level

based on longevity psd would have him top 3 no less, after MAGIC and OSCAR

3RDASYSTEM
02-24-2014, 10:26 PM
In a pick and roll league like we have today, John Stockton would reign supreme. He would take these kids to school, and make a lot of players look stupid in comparison

It wouldn't matter if the league was pick and roll or not he had his system entirely catered to pick and roll for 20yrs so it would all depend if he had todays version of MAILMAN to deliver to or not to get all those dimes, and with the palming being called he wouldn't be able to get those zip passes off in halfcourt sets like he got over and over and over and he wasn't fast or athletic but was savvy so im thinking a A MILLER type guard with a way better flame shot, but his lack of athletic ability will get exposed bad, so while he may do a little schooling he will surely get schooled on d side far worse but he had toughness and would compete so its reason why I always pulled for STOCK, he wasn't afraid of the big moment, win or lose

Kaner
02-24-2014, 11:15 PM
True its been quick guys but not on the level of IVERSON and he basically made STOCKTON fall everytime they played, though STOCKTON was older it wouldn't matter, STOCKTON would be a better version of NASH, 2 way that is, he cant outshoot NASH but everything else he can do but I don't see him as a run and gun but a ANDRE MILLER type savvy get it done guy like he did in for his 19 or 20 yrs with JAZZ, he was money and also he carried/palmed the ball 2x worse than IVERSON and others, he just got away with it but those zip passes to MAILMAN and co. were something nice to watch, palming or not

STOCKTON is the reason why I don't put a lot of stock in longevity because it only applies to like 1 player in history of psd nba talk on here, bean Bryant only benefits from longevity not others, STOCK to me is not a top 5 PG best ever to do it but he has the stats to show for a argument and im a STOCKTON fan I just don't over rank players on individual level

based on longevity psd would have him top 3 no less, after MAGIC and OSCAR

http://www.basketball-reference.com/players/s/stockjo01.html

Made him fall everytime they played? A 36-40 year old stockton played at about his season averages for that stretch while AI was even more horribly inefficient then he usually was with less ppg, more fga, much lower fg%, and more tovs.

And what respectable top 5 pg list DOESNT have stockton?! He isn't on them because of longevity (although certainly impressive) he's on them because he was the embodiment of the perfect pg. defense, passing, court vision, and shooting all at an elite level.

TheMightyHumph
02-24-2014, 11:24 PM
http://www.basketball-reference.com/players/s/stockjo01.html

Made him fall everytime they played? A 36-40 year old stockton played at about his season averages for that stretch while AI was even more horribly inefficient then he usually was with less ppg, more fga, much lower fg%, and more tovs.

And what respectable top 5 pg list DOESNT have stockton?! He isn't on them because of longevity (although certainly impressive) he's on them because he was the embodiment of the perfect pg. defense, passing, court vision, and shooting all at an elite level.

Never try to reason with an Iverson fan

Kaner
02-24-2014, 11:25 PM
I think him and Chris Paul would be competing every year for best pg in the league with this season Steph Curry stepping into the discussion with them.

slashsnake
02-25-2014, 03:24 AM
The one thing I question is if he would have the foot speed to defend today’s PG’s without the hand check. You didn’t have every PG with an insane first step knowing that hand check is no longer an option to slow him down.

Running an offense I see no problems for him as long as he found some good teammates to work with.

birdmann5
02-25-2014, 03:40 AM
Stockton would be top 3 in MVP race if he played today. Defenses were far better when he played than today's game and he still owned. There's a reason why Gary Payton compared him to MJ. Because he owned the game at his position. Look up his shooting (he could hang with Nash.)