PDA

View Full Version : Rank the top-5 big threes so far

mrblisterdundee
02-24-2014, 01:46 AM
Big threes have been the key for seven of the last 10 NBA champions, and this year is looking the same (Miami, Oklahoma City, San Antonio), unless a team like Los Angeles or Indiana pulls it out.
Rank your top-five big threes so far. Some teams, such as the Clippers, Blazers, Pacers, Suns or even Spurs, might be too balanced right now to qualify for this top five, even though they're some of the best teams in the league. Sacramento, has a fairly productive big three, even if the overall team still sucks. Make an argument for your choices if they aren't fairly obvious.
Here are mine:

1. Miami (LeBron James, Chris Bosh and Dwyane Wade)
2. Thunder (Kevin Durant, Russell Westbrook and Serge Ibaka)
3. Houston (James Harden, Dwight Howard, Chandler Parsons)
4. Golden State (Stephen Curry, David Lee and Klay Thompson)
5. San Antonio (Tony Parker, Tim Duncan and Manu Ginobili)

Although it's a more balanced team, I still included San Antonio with it's old guard pun intended. Ginobili, on a per-minute basis, is still the third-biggest cog in his team's wheel. And he's symbolically the third most important guy in San Antonio.

Duncan = Donkey
02-24-2014, 01:50 AM
Klay Thompson???? Bogut is better Klay. Klay is one of the most overrated players in the league.

Your list is pretty spot on other than that I reckon.

mdm692
02-24-2014, 01:52 AM
Phoenix

Eric Bledsoe - Goran Dragic - Gerald Green

:hide:

Lakers + Giants
02-24-2014, 01:54 AM
I'd go:

1. Durant, Ibaka, Westbrook
2. Lebron, Wade, Bosh
3. CP3, Blake, Jordan
4. Dwight, Harden, Parsons
5. Hibbert, George, West/Stephenson

OaklandsFinest
02-24-2014, 01:54 AM
more like Steph Curry, Andre Igoudala, and Andrew Bogut. I love the Phoenix big 3. But Nobody beats Miami's big 3 except maybe OKC next year

PowerHouse
02-24-2014, 02:23 AM
1. James/Wade/Bosh
2. Durant/Westbrook/Ibaka
3. CP3/Griffin/Jamaal Crawford
4. Curry/D. Lee/Igoudala
5. Aldridge/Lillard/N. Batum

Duncan = Donkey
02-24-2014, 02:25 AM
Phoenix

Someone does not belong

mdm692
02-24-2014, 02:31 AM
Someone does not belong

Who would you replace him with?

Duncan = Donkey
02-24-2014, 02:37 AM
Who would you replace him with?

Hornacek?? lol. We are a more Big 2, lol

mdm692
02-24-2014, 02:39 AM
Hornacek?? lol. We are a more Big 2, lol

Lol. I just give him the love cause he's been huge for us in a lot of games this season. Overall he's had a lot more good games than bad games and even when he has bad games he tries to get to the rim and do the extra hustle(AT TIMES). He just happens to have cold nights.

mightybosstone
02-24-2014, 03:14 AM
I'd go:

1. Durant, Ibaka, Westbrook
2. Lebron, Wade, Bosh
3. CP3, Blake, Jordan
4. Dwight, Harden, Parsons
5. Hibbert, George, West/Stephenson

I agree with this list. The homer in me wishes to put the Rockets over the Clippers, but L.A.'s duo right now is better than Houston's, even if I would give Parsons an edge over Jordan.

Lakers + Giants
02-24-2014, 03:20 AM
I agree with this list. The homer in me wishes to put the Rockets over the Clippers, but L.A.'s duo right now is better than Houston's, even if I would give Parsons an edge over Jordan.

Not gonna lie, team success had a lot of impact on my list, and the Rockets should be above them on my list going by my criteria. I just chose the clips big 3 over them because I do think they have the 2 best players out of both teams big 3 IMO. I do agree with you that Parsons>Jordan tho. I'd say clips and rockets are interchangeable, there's no wrong answer.

I'm glad that despite you being a rocket's fan you are impartial. respect. :cheers:

tredigs
02-24-2014, 03:32 AM
Klay Thompson???? Bogut is better Klay. Klay is one of the most overrated players in the league.

Impact wise Lee and Iggy are an interesting argument - with Bogut ahead of both - but Klay is clearly below them all. If he's thought of in this light of a "big three" argument by a decent amount of fans around the league (not sure if he is or not), then yes, definitely majorly overrated at the moment.

mrblisterdundee
02-24-2014, 04:03 AM
Phoenix

Phoenix has no big three, although it's made a living with two talented guards and a lot of decent, high0energy role players. It's one of those balanced teams I mentioned.

mrblisterdundee
02-24-2014, 04:09 AM

I stand corrected. Bogut should be in that big three, although Houston is still above Golden State after that switch.

more like Steph Curry, Andre Igoudala, and Andrew Bogut. I love the Phoenix big 3. But Nobody beats Miami's big 3 except maybe OKC next year

I made a mistake not including Bogut over Thompson, but Lee definitely has more of an impact than Igoudala. He puts up bigger numbers, has a significantly higher PER and win share amount and is easily the second best player on the team. He even has more defensive win shares than Igoudala, who's also played 15 percent less of the season.

tredigs
02-24-2014, 04:24 AM
I stand corrected. Bogut should be in that big three, although Houston is still above Golden State after that switch.

I made a mistake not including Bogut over Thompson, but Lee definitely has more of an impact than Igoudala. He puts up bigger numbers, has a significantly higher PER and win share amount and is easily the second best player on the team. He even has more defensive win shares than Igoudala, who's also played 15 percent less of the season.

Stats like PER and Win Shares don't understand the impact of a player like Iguodala, who has the ability to transform the defensive makeup/mentality of a team. We are significantly better when he is on the floor; though that was especially true when he was 100% earlier in the season and also a beast on the offensive end. He's struggled a bit since the injury, but that's turned around more lately. Lee still has a decent argument over him, but those stats aren't the way to look at it.

mrblisterdundee
02-25-2014, 06:18 PM
Stats like PER and Win Shares don't understand the impact of a player like Iguodala, who has the ability to transform the defensive makeup/mentality of a team. We are significantly better when he is on the floor; though that was especially true when he was 100% earlier in the season and also a beast on the offensive end. He's struggled a bit since the injury, but that's turned around more lately. Lee still has a decent argument over him, but those stats aren't the way to look at it.

When almost every statistical category says that Lee's a bigger part of the team, that's a big part of the argument.
I know Iguodala's a good defender and has made the overall team better at defense, but he averages half as many points and rebounds as Lee and is more injury-riddled this season than Bogut, the biggest piece literally and metaphorically of Golden State's defense. Lee has played 15 percent more of the games this season and had the best argument to potentially be his team's second all-star.

ThuglifeJ
02-25-2014, 06:34 PM
1. Clippers
2. Heat
3. Spurs
4. Thunder
5. Warriors
6. Pacers
7. Portland

Nets and Raptors have some good potential though.

archdevil84
02-25-2014, 06:40 PM
Josh Smith
Andre Drummond
Greg Monroe
Thats a pretty BIG three

beliges
02-25-2014, 10:31 PM
Lebron/Bosh/Wade are the only true big three. Three franchise players all on the same team.

mrblisterdundee
02-25-2014, 10:50 PM
Lebron/Bosh/Wade are the only true big three. Three franchise players all on the same team.

Big Three doesn't necessarily mean three franchise players. It means the three most prominent players on a team.

5ass
02-25-2014, 10:51 PM
Define franchise player.

Minimal
02-25-2014, 11:36 PM
1. James/Wade/Bosh
2. Durant/Westbrook/Ibaka
3. George/West/Hibbert
4. Parker/Duncan/Ginobili
5. Howard/Harden/Parsons

Lakers + Giants
02-25-2014, 11:37 PM
Define franchise player.

A player that a franchise tries to build around so that they win a championship!?

IKnowHoops
02-25-2014, 11:55 PM
A player that a franchise tries to build around so that they win a championship!?

K love is a franchise player but look how thats working out in MN. There are really only two guys in the League now that can put a team on his back and thats Bron and Durant. Bron has actually done it though. Durant seems like he could, but all these other guys Wade, Love, Bosh, Kobe etc, etc, if they don't have tons of help they can just as easily miss the playoffs as any old scrub.

tredigs
02-26-2014, 12:18 AM
When almost every statistical category says that Lee's a bigger part of the team, that's a big part of the argument.
I know Iguodala's a good defender and has made the overall team better at defense, but he averages half as many points and rebounds as Lee and is more injury-riddled this season than Bogut, the biggest piece literally and metaphorically of Golden State's defense. Lee has played 15 percent more of the games this season and had the best argument to potentially be his team's second all-star.

Like I stated, he's the case of a player that gets the short end of the stick on many stats due to the fact that they're offensively biased and - in short - not complex enough to understand his impact.

I would say that Bogut is the teams most impactful defender from a singular on-court standpoint, but Iggy is by far and away their smartest and best defender. He shows like an elite defensive coach who also plays on the floor.

Lee's a very solid player and offers more offensively (though Iggy was brilliant in his role offensively to begin the year, but he fell off after the injury. I'm hoping that early season form returns as he gets back to 100%. He's also been a bit lazy, which isn't helping), and that is why the debate is close, but pointing to box score stats or even offensive minded things like PER don't do the argument justice.

I watch them both every game, I can see what's going on for the most part there.

If you do still need a stat that shows Iggy as the vastly superior player for a change (which IMO he is not, this is just one stat as PER or WS/48 are just one stat), check Wins Produced - where he is ranked 15th in the league for those with ample playing time (though still 3rd of the Warriors behind Curry and Bogut), while Lee doesn't crack the top 100.

jayjay33
02-26-2014, 12:26 AM

Big Three doesn't necessarily mean three franchise players. It means the three most prominent players on a team.

Isn't that the entire reason for the "BIG" part? If not then saying "big three" serves no purpose. Hell if its just about the number of players lets just make it the big 12 or the big 15.

beliges
02-26-2014, 12:34 AM

K love is a franchise player but look how thats working out in MN. There are really only two guys in the League now that can put a team on his back and thats Bron and Durant. Bron has actually done it though. Durant seems like he could, but all these other guys Wade, Love, Bosh, Kobe etc, etc, if they don't have tons of help they can just as easily miss the playoffs as any old scrub.

Klove is a franchise player but he's the only one on his team. Imagine if he played with two other players his caliber.

tredigs
02-26-2014, 12:46 AM
Klove is a franchise player but he's the only one on his team. Imagine if he played with two other players his caliber.

He's a bit better than Bosh ever was and probably ahead of Wade in the first year of the big three as well (far and away better than both at this point). So if he's Lebron in that scenario and joining players "at his level" as you say, we're looking at something like Love / Dragic / Horford. Not Love / CP3 / Howard.

bootypants
02-26-2014, 01:14 AM

What? Wade won it all with a bunch of worn down old men.....

mightybosstone
02-26-2014, 01:15 AM
1. Clippers
2. Heat
3. Spurs
4. Thunder
5. Warriors
6. Pacers
7. Portland

I noticed you conveniently left out Houston. Your trolling is so ridiculously obvious. If you don't think Harden, Howard and Parsons are one of the best trios in basketball, then you don't know basketball and you shouldn't be posting in an online NBA forum to begin with.

bootypants
02-26-2014, 01:25 AM
Anyone who does not have Miami #1 is just being disrespectful in hopes they don't go for the Third Ship.
To be the best you have to beat the best. So until someone does, they are still THE big 3. end of story.

Also idk about you guys but with Jamal Crawford starting and getting his minutes and clearly showing hes one of the best scorers in the league i include him in LAC's big three. Paul, Crawford, Griffin. Jordan takes a backseat.

I also can't agree to put OKC as a big 3 because i just don't see westbrook and durant working out ever. something needs to change there.

beliges
02-26-2014, 01:44 AM
Anyone who does not have Miami #1 is just being disrespectful in hopes they don't go for the Third Ship.
To be the best you have to beat the best. So until someone does, they are still THE big 3. end of story.

Also idk about you guys but with Jamal Crawford starting and getting his minutes and clearly showing hes one of the best scorers in the league i include him in LAC's big three. Paul, Crawford, Griffin. Jordan takes a backseat.

I also can't agree to put OKC as a big 3 because i just don't see westbrook and durant working out ever. something needs to change there.

Like I said, Miami is the only "big three" in the league. Its almost unprecedented to have three franchise players all playing together.

goku
02-26-2014, 01:52 AM
1. Clippers
2. Heat
3. Spurs
4. Thunder
5. Warriors
6. Pacers
7. Portland

raptors and nets lol

mightybosstone
02-26-2014, 02:16 AM
Like I said, Miami is the only "big three" in the league. Its almost unprecedented to have three franchise players all playing together.

Define "franchise player." I define a franchise player as a guy who could carry a team as a No. 1 and make the playoffs with a reasonable amount of help. I see Bosh as a borderline franchise guy, but I don't see Wade as that player anymore. He can't stay healthy, and his numbers have fallen off substantially.

I'm not saying I wouldn't still put Miami first. But I don't think there's a team in the league right now with three true "franchise players." Miami has two in my eyes, the Clippers have two and the Rockets have two. San Antonio and Portland arguably have two, and you could make a decent case for Indiana depending on how you view Hibbert's impact. There may be more teams with two, but I can't think of them off the top of my head. I still don't believe there's a team in the league with three.

benzni
02-26-2014, 02:19 AM
Josh Smith
Andre Drummond
Greg Monroe
Thats a pretty BIG three

Best Frontcourt

benzni
02-26-2014, 02:21 AM
raptors and nets lol

He is wrong. Nets have the big 6

D-Will
Joe Jesus
KG
Pierce
Lopez
Blatche
:P

beliges
02-26-2014, 02:33 AM

Define "franchise player." I define a franchise player as a guy who could carry a team as a No. 1 and make the playoffs with a reasonable amount of help. I see Bosh as a borderline franchise guy, but I don't see Wade as that player anymore. He can't stay healthy, and his numbers have fallen off substantially.

I'm not saying I wouldn't still put Miami first. But I don't think there's a team in the league right now with three true "franchise players." Miami has two in my eyes, the Clippers have two and the Rockets have two. San Antonio and Portland arguably have two, and you could make a decent case for Indiana depending on how you view Hibbert's impact. There may be more teams with two, but I can't think of them off the top of my head. I still don't believe there's a team in the league with three.

Wade was certainly a franchise player for the last few seasons. Id still put him up there this year for the simple reason that if he plays he's one of the absolute best players in the league. I think he is more than capable of carrying any team in the east. If you want to talk about BIG THREE, Miami is the epitome of a big three. But I agree with you somewhat that there is no other team with a true BIG THREE. Boston had their own less potent version for a few years but Miami owns that title currently.

Clippersfan86
02-26-2014, 01:45 PM
Not gonna lie, team success had a lot of impact on my list, and the Rockets should be above them on my list going by my criteria. I just chose the clips big 3 over them because I do think they have the 2 best players out of both teams big 3 IMO. I do agree with you that Parsons>Jordan tho. I'd say clips and rockets are interchangeable, there's no wrong answer.

I'm glad that despite you being a rocket's fan you are impartial. respect. :cheers:

It's actually the Pacers that don't belong in there. The Rockets/Clippers BOTH belong in the top 5.

Clippersfan86
02-26-2014, 01:47 PM
Miami, Houston, LAC and OKC are the only teams with true big 3's. Which to me means all star or superstar caliber players at 3 positions. Parsons, Jordan, Bosh, Ibaka are all on a similar tier to me this year, which are borderline all stars.

In Miami and Boston's big 3... two players were "superstars". Currently only these 4 teams have two superstars and a third borderline all star. GS, Portland, SA don't meet the criteria right now. Parker is barely an all star this year in the west, Duncan has finally declined noticably and isn't a superstar anymore, Ginobili is still a great 6th man but obviously long gone are the all star days. Portland has one superstar (if you even consider Aldridge a true one), one all star and Batum/Matthews which are good but obviously nowhere near all star caliber and not on the tier of Parsons, Jordan, Ibaka, Bosh.

sixers247
02-26-2014, 01:57 PM
MCW, Thad, Hollis Thompson......

Chronz
02-26-2014, 02:00 PM
Wade was certainly a franchise player for the last few seasons. Id still put him up there this year for the simple reason that if he plays he's one of the absolute best players in the league. I think he is more than capable of carrying any team in the east.
Be real, how long has it been since you've seen Wade play consistently? When he plays, hes on a minutes limit because he has trouble staying healthy as it is, and you think he can carry a franchise? If Wade is a franchise guy then TONS of players are.

If you want to talk about BIG THREE, Miami is the epitome of a big three. But I agree with you somewhat that there is no other team with a true BIG THREE. Boston had their own less potent version for a few years but Miami owns that title currently.
LOL typical.

mightybosstone
02-26-2014, 02:13 PM
Miami, Houston, LAC and OKC are the only teams with true big 3's. Which to me means all star or superstar caliber players at 3 positions. Parsons, Jordan, Bosh, Ibaka are all on a similar tier to me this year, which are borderline all stars.
You know, I actually think you could make a really strong case that Bosh is the better player now. I certainly don't think it's an open and shut argument, but I think he's become the No. 2 in Miami and Wade is the No. 3. Bosh is more integral to what Miami does on both ends of the floor and his floor spacing has become an integral piece to Miami's offense. Plus, he's just played so many more games than Wade this season and a lot of advanced stats give him an edge.

In Miami and Boston's big 3... two players were "superstars". Currently only these 4 teams have two superstars and a third borderline all star. GS, Portland, SA don't meet the criteria right now. Parker is barely an all star this year in the west, Duncan has finally declined noticably and isn't a superstar anymore, Ginobili is still a great 6th man but obviously long gone are the all star days. Portland has one superstar (if you even consider Aldridge a true one), one all star and Batum/Matthews which are good but obviously nowhere near all star caliber and not on the tier of Parsons, Jordan, Ibaka, Bosh.
I hate the term "superstar" because it's so subjective. I'd rather use something like "top 20-25 guys" because at least then it's more objective and you get a feel for what you're talking about. Because I consider Bosh and Wade both top 20-25 guys for the most part, but neither of them are "superstars" in my eyes. I consider Lillard and Aldridge both top 20-25 guys, but neither of them are really "superstars." And I'm not sure I qualify Duncan or Parker are "superstars" this season.

But aside from semantics, I think your post is fairly accurate. The only team I don't think you're giving enough credit to is Portland. Aldridge and Lillard are both top 20-25 guys and if Matthews had the season he's having right now in the Eastern Conference, he definitely would have been seen as a borderline All-Star.

Jamiecballer
02-26-2014, 02:14 PM
it's pretty obvious you missed

Kyle Lowry
Demar Derozan
Amir Johnson

:)

Clippersfan86
02-26-2014, 02:18 PM
You know, I actually think you could make a really strong case that Bosh is the better player now. I certainly don't think it's an open and shut argument, but I think he's become the No. 2 in Miami and Wade is the No. 3. Bosh is more integral to what Miami does on both ends of the floor and his floor spacing has become an integral piece to Miami's offense. Plus, he's just played so many more games than Wade this season and a lot of advanced stats give him an edge.

I hate the term "superstar" because it's so subjective. I'd rather use something like "top 20-25 guys" because at least then it's more objective and you get a feel for what you're talking about. Because I consider Bosh and Wade both top 20-25 guys for the most part, but neither of them are "superstars" in my eyes. I consider Lillard and Aldridge both top 20-25 guys, but neither of them are really "superstars." And I'm not sure I qualify Duncan or Parker are "superstars" this season.

But aside from semantics, I think your post is fairly accurate. The only team I don't think you're giving enough credit to is Portland. Aldridge and Lillard are both top 20-25 guys and if Matthews had the season he's having right now in the Eastern Conference, he definitely would have been seen as a borderline All-Star.

For the sake of this particular discussion, it's important that I speak in a lot of definitives and black and white, otherwise we could technically list 10 teams. I think the word "Big 3" is used far too loosely around here. If we look at true historical "big 3's" as defined by everybody such as Celtics, Heat, Bulls maybe... only the teams I listed meet that criteria. Having two top 20-25 players such as Portland isn't that. Neither are the Spurs who had one guy squeek into the all star game while two others decline and are nowhere near top 10 players. Houston, OKC, LAC, Miami are the only teams with two arguable top 10 players... then the second element is a 3rd all star or near all star player in my personal opinion.

Of course some will disagree but we need to narrow down what a "big 3" is.

Goose17
02-26-2014, 02:25 PM
Out of curiosity who is the number 3 in Clippers "Big 3"? I mean obviously CP3 and Blake... but then who? Jordan?

Clippersfan86
02-26-2014, 02:31 PM
Out of curiosity who is the number 3 in Clippers "Big 3"? I mean obviously CP3 and Blake... but then who? Jordan?

Well based on the criteria I listed, the 3rd piece is the least relevant. The issue with everybody else's "big 3's" I raised is not even having a second superstar or franchise player. So much issue is with the 2 option, not 3. For example Golden State has nobody close to being a true superstar or top 10 player after Curry, although Iggy/Lee both would meet my personal 3rd star/borderline star criteria.

I'm not just being a homer here.. statistically Jordan is on a tier with Parsons, Ibaka, Lee types which are as I said my PERSONAL criteria for being the final piece of a big 3. I'm not expecting 3 top 10 players.. that would just be dumb because it's only happened once or twice in NBA history.

Say two top 10 players and a top 25 player. That's probably specifically what I'm classifying here.

Riodagoat
02-26-2014, 02:36 PM
It depends on how you define a Big 3. To me, they all have to be perennial superstars. Miami and SA are the only ones with a legit big 3 today, in my eyes. Chandler isn't a star, nor are Bogut, Ibaka, Jordan, and all the other barely an allstar-type of player.

If we are talking about during the last decade, it's a tough pick for me between the Boston Big 3 and Miami big 3. I always say that if Allen, Pierce, and Kg had done it 3-4 years earlier, they probably could've done a lot more, and perhaps something that's never done before.

Clippersfan86
02-26-2014, 02:38 PM
It depends on how you define a Big 3. To me, they all have to be perennial superstars. Miami and SA are the only ones with a legit big 3 today, in my eyes. Chandler isn't a star, nor are Bogut and Ibaka and all the other half a superstar type of player.

If we are talking about during the last decade, it's a tough pick for me between the Boston Big 3 and Miami big 3. I always say that if Allen, Pierce, and Kg had done it 3-4 years earlier, they probably could've done a lot more, and perhaps something that's never done before.

Which Spurs player is a legit superstar this year? Who is the second star? Not saying you can't have your opinion, but to specifically pick the Spurs and Heat is odd to me because the way they are built and function as a team is so extremely different.

Goose17
02-26-2014, 02:42 PM
Well based on the criteria I listed, the 3rd piece is the least relevant. The issue with everybody else's "big 3's" I raised is not even having a second superstar or franchise player. So much issue is with the 2 option, not 3. For example Golden State has nobody close to being a true superstar or top 10 player after Curry, although Iggy/Lee both would meet my personal 3rd star/borderline star criteria.

I'm not just being a homer here.. statistically Jordan is on a tier with Parsons, Ibaka, Lee types which are as I said my PERSONAL criteria for being the final piece of a big 3. I'm not expecting 3 top 10 players.. that would just be dumb because it's only happened once or twice in NBA history.

Say two top 10 players and a top 25 player. That's probably specifically what I'm classifying here.

Personally, if I was having to include LAC, I would also include Indiana and Golden State.

CP3, Blake, Jordan = Paul George, Roy Hibbert and Lance Stephenson.
CP3, Blake, Jordan = Curry, Lee and Bogut.

Personally I don't consider any of those teams I mentioned (LAC, Indiana, GSW) to be a "big 3". I'm just saying that if somebody does, there's no way they can exclude Indiana and Golden State.

Riodagoat
02-26-2014, 02:44 PM
Which Spurs player is a legit superstar this year? Who is the second star? Not saying you can't have your opinion, but to specifically pick the Spurs and Heat is odd to me because the way they are built and function as a team is so extremely different.

Did you even read my post? I answered the question based on the totality of what they've done in their careers, and what they have proven. Out of all the teams that OP has posted, those 2 teams are the only ones with 3 superstars that have won in a MULTIPLE basis, and have been recognized as superstars on a MULTIPLE basis.

All the other teams have maybe 1 or 2 legit superstars, with the other being more of a legit 3rd option, but not necessarily a proven star. Once those players I mentioned on previous post have actually proven to be called a superstar, then no, I would consider then Big 2.5

Clippersfan86
02-26-2014, 02:45 PM
Personally, if I was having to include LAC, I would also include Indiana and Golden State.

CP3, Blake, Jordan = Paul George, Roy Hibbert and Lance Stephenson.
CP3, Blake, Jordan = Curry, Lee and Bogut.

Personally I don't consider any of those teams I mentioned (LAC, Indiana, GSW) to be a "big 3". I'm just saying that if somebody does, there's no way they can exclude Indiana and Golden State.

Well we just differ in criteria. Pacers don't have a top 10 player outside of George and Hibbert is a weak second superstar option IMO, even IF you care almost exclusively about defense. Stephenson/Hibbert meets the 3rd player critiera for me but again the issue is lacking a second superstar. Golden state is missing a second superstar and that's the reason for exclusion. Teams are built differently... these "Big 3's" are more top heavy in the starting 5 where as GS/SA/Indiana/Memphis/Portland have more balance in their starting 5. It doesn't mean that method is inferior but it definitely means you shouldn't be saying those teams have a big 3.

Clippersfan86
02-26-2014, 02:46 PM
Did you even read my post? I answered the question based on the totality of what they've done in their careers, and what they have proven. Out of all the teams that OP has posted, those 2 teams are the only ones with 3 superstars that have won in a MULTIPLE basis, and have been recognized as superstars on a MULTIPLE basis.

All the other teams have maybe 1 or 2 legit superstars, with the other being more of a legit 3rd option, but not necessarily a proven star. Once those players I mentioned on previous post have actually proven to be called a superstar, then no, I would consider then Big 2.5

Read, but misunderstood, my bad. Interesting way to look at it... but quite frankly the OP isn't asking for historical "big 3's" or based on legacies. He's asking for RIGHT THIS VERY MOMENT.

Goose17
02-26-2014, 02:50 PM
Well we just differ in criteria. Pacers don't have a top 10 player outside of George and Hibbert is a weak second superstar option IMO, even IF you care almost exclusively about defense. Stephenson/Hibbert meets the 3rd player critiera for me but again the issue is lacking a second superstar. Golden state is missing a second superstar and that's the reason for exclusion. Teams are built differently... these "Big 3's" are more top heavy in the starting 5 where as GS/SA/Indiana/Memphis/Portland have more balance in their starting 5. It doesn't mean that method is inferior but it definitely means you shouldn't be saying those teams have a big 3.

My point is, Jordan isn't in that third group. Bogut and Stephenson make just as big an impact for their team as Jordan does (in fact, I would happily argue they make a bigger impact for their respectful teams than Jordan does). And Hibbert makes just as big an impact as Blake does (maybe not in the same way, but it's of equal value to their teams).

I don't think LAC is a big 3, I think it's a big 2 with a lot of promising talent and skilled veterans.

JasonJohnHorn
02-26-2014, 02:54 PM
1. Bill Russell and any two chumps you want to put in a green jersey.
2. The Big O and Kareem (try to get any three current players whose combined stats equal theirs)
3. Jordan, Pippen, Rodman
4: Magic, Kareem, Worthy
5: Bird, McHale, Parish

Riodagoat
02-26-2014, 03:00 PM
Read, but misunderstood, my bad. Interesting way to look at it... but quite frankly the OP isn't asking for historical "big 3's" or based on legacies. He's asking for RIGHT THIS VERY MOMENT.

Even if it was right at this very moment, I'd still pick those 2 teams, just because I've seen what they can do in playoffs. I've stopped judging players based on what they do in the regular season a long time ago. I don't think it's a credible way to surmise a player's greatness based what they can do during the reg season. The great teams aim for championships, not necessarily reg season wins.

During Cleveland days, Lebron was the best regular season guy but at some point during the playoffs, he had some problems here and there. Harden disappeared during the 2012 finals. In crunch time, you can't throw the ball to either Ibaka or Jordan and expect them to make a play and get you an easy bucket. I may be nitpicking, but you get my point.

On the other hand, MIA and SA both have 3 capable players of making a play for your team with the game tied with 2 minutes left in a game 7. To me, THAT is what you makes you a Big 3, when you have shown and proven that you can make a play when it really matters.

So in short, for me to be able to consider a Big 3, you NEED to show when it actually counts. Big 3 is a subjective term for most of the people here but that's how I view it.

beliges
02-26-2014, 03:40 PM
Be real, how long has it been since you've seen Wade play consistently? When he plays, hes on a minutes limit because he has trouble staying healthy as it is, and you think he can carry a franchise? If Wade is a franchise guy then TONS of players are.

LOL typical.

Thats ridiculous. Have you seen Wade play? Have you seen the games where Lebron does not play? Wade is still an elite player in this league. Just because he does not give it 100% each and every night does not mean he is no longer elite. Besides Lebron, Durant and CP3, I would say Wade is as good as any other perimeter player.

Nonetheless, this seems to be a theme for Lebron fans. First in Cleavland his teammates were terrible, and now in Miami, with a historic lineup, he still has terrible teammates. LOL. Things will never change.

mngopher35
02-26-2014, 03:57 PM
Thats ridiculous. Have you seen Wade play? Have you seen the games where Lebron does not play? Wade is still an elite player in this league. Just because he does not give it 100% each and every night does not mean he is no longer elite. Besides Lebron, Durant and CP3, I would say Wade is as good as any other perimeter player.

Nonetheless, this seems to be a theme for Lebron fans. First in Cleavland his teammates were terrible, and now in Miami, with a historic lineup, he still has terrible teammates. LOL. Things will never change.

Yes, because he clearly stated that Lebron has terrible teammates. He is making the point that if Wade is the number one superstar on the team you are in trouble currently (and past couple years). This doesn't have to do with his play when healthy, but moreso just that he isn't healthy in the postseason and now is limited. If you haven't noticed he has broken down in the playoffs the last couple years (while still playing very good, clearly not his normal self). He is also on a minutes/games limit this year missing back to back games etc. Hopefully this will make him healthy for this years playoffs because they will need it.

It seems to be a theme with Laker/Kobe fans to not make an actual argument, put words in people's mouths, and then just make general statements about a group of fans. LOL. Things will never change.

Chronz
02-26-2014, 03:57 PM
I havent missed a Miami game this year how about you? His inability to give 100% (whatever that means) is why hes no longer a franchise guy. He has trouble staying healthy despite having Bron carry the burden and giving him nights off, yet you expect me to believe he can carry a franchise on his own? LMFAO, in what reality does giving a player a bigger work load increase his odds of remaining healthy?

Plz dont sidestep that issue, I underlined it because I want a straight answer from you. How often do you even watch the Heat? From the sounds of your post it seems like your stuck in 2009 or something.

Based on what tho? If you can point to any team that had less talent than Bron did in Cleveland all while winning that many games (as I have requested in the past), then by all means, plz provide them.

Notice how you go to the extreme of accusing me of saying his teammates are terrible when all I've said is that Wade is no longer a franchise guy. Shows how little you have to stand on when you have to rely on strawman arguments.

You can throw around words like historic but you're not convincing anyone when you insist on calling a guy who cant even stay healthy despite a minutes massage treatment, a franchise guy and have absolutely nothing in the way of objective evidence to back you. You're view of history is distorted, try living in reality aka the present.

eugene
02-26-2014, 03:59 PM
Jordan, Pippen, Rodman :D

Chronz
02-26-2014, 04:02 PM
Yes, because he clearly stated that Lebron has terrible teammates. He is making the point that if Wade is the number one superstar on the team you are in trouble currently (and past couple years). This doesn't have to do with his play when healthy, but moreso just that he isn't healthy in the postseason and now is limited. If you haven't noticed he has broken down in the playoffs the last couple years (while still playing very good, clearly not his normal self). He is also on a minutes/games limit this year missing back to back games etc. Hopefully this will make him healthy for this years playoffs because they will need it.

It seems to be a theme with Laker/Kobe fans to not make an actual argument, put words in people's mouths, and then just make general statements about a group of fans. LOL. Things will never change.

Yup, the strawman tends to be the ultimate white flag.

When was the last time Wade was healthy? By my count it was during that historic streak and now hes producing at a very subpar level even though he has had his minutes managed more than ever.

I dont even think its a matter of health with him anymore, I think this is the Wade we will be getting from here on out. He cant even blow by Jamal Crawford for **** sake. Hes more reliant on Bron than he ever was in the past, if hes a franchise guy, then we have LOTS of franchise guys.

mngopher35
02-26-2014, 04:08 PM
For the topic I think my requirements would be similar to Clippersfan.

Teams with 2+ superstars imo are Thunder, Clippers, Heat Rockets and all have that very good 3rd player. So my order of ranking these teams is:

Heat
Thunder
Clippers
Rockets

Teams like Pacers and Warriors are right there but it has more to do with having a bit more depth (lee/bogut/iggy and Hibbert/West/Stephenson). I can maybe see an argument for including the Pacers though because of Hibbert's impact defensively.

mngopher35
02-26-2014, 04:27 PM
Yup, the strawman tends to be the ultimate white flag.

When was the last time Wade was healthy? By my count it was during that historic streak and now hes producing at a very subpar level even though he has had his minutes managed more than ever.

I dont even think its a matter of health with him anymore, I think this is the Wade we will be getting from here on out. He cant even blow by Jamal Crawford for **** sake. Hes more reliant on Bron than he ever was in the past, if hes a franchise guy, then we have LOTS of franchise guys.

Agreed, he hasn't looked quite the same. Luckily with the talent the Heat have he just needs to play at this season's level. I don't think he could carry a team in any way like he used to be able to though.

ManRam
02-26-2014, 04:28 PM

Iggy's defense, at least going by the advanced +/- stats, is off the charts this year.

Even basic on/off court stuff is undeniable. On the court opponents have a 100.2 ORtg. Off the court they have a 106.8.

I think as a whole people undervalue defense when comparing defenses, so much so that I think lately I've been overvaluing it. But regardless of what that right range is Iggy's defense is hugely impacting and important. I'd throw him into any GSW "big three". Can't credit him entirely for that team's defensive turn around, but he certainly deserves a lot of the credit for it. If anything I'm sure his personality and seeing him buy into playing defense had to have rubbed off on others.

(I'm not really talking to you because you obviously know...just throwing it out there)

My list probably is similar to L + G's as well, so I'll take a different spin on it. Here's the top trios based on win shares this year (just one, perhaps meaningless, way to look at it!)

LAC: Blake - Paul - DAJ... 25.2
OKC: Durant - Ibaka - Lamb... 23.9
IND: George - Hill - Stephenson... 21.3 (amazing how balanced they are with Hibbs/West right behind Lance)
HOU: Harden - Howard - Parsons... 21.1
MIA: James - Wade - Bosh... 21.1
MIN: Love - Pek - Rubio... 20.8 (mostly on the strength of Love)
GSW: Curry - Lee - Bogut... 20.7
POR: Aldridge - Lillard - Lopez... 19.6
TOR: Lowry - DeRozan- Amir... 19.5

beliges
02-27-2014, 11:27 AM
I havent missed a Miami game this year how about you? His inability to give 100% (whatever that means) is why hes no longer a franchise guy. He has trouble staying healthy despite having Bron carry the burden and giving him nights off, yet you expect me to believe he can carry a franchise on his own? LMFAO, in what reality does giving a player a bigger work load increase his odds of remaining healthy?

Plz dont sidestep that issue, I underlined it because I want a straight answer from you. How often do you even watch the Heat? From the sounds of your post it seems like your stuck in 2009 or something.

Based on what tho? If you can point to any team that had less talent than Bron did in Cleveland all while winning that many games (as I have requested in the past), then by all means, plz provide them.

Notice how you go to the extreme of accusing me of saying his teammates are terrible when all I've said is that Wade is no longer a franchise guy. Shows how little you have to stand on when you have to rely on strawman arguments.

You can throw around words like historic but you're not convincing anyone when you insist on calling a guy who cant even stay healthy despite a minutes massage treatment, a franchise guy and have absolutely nothing in the way of objective evidence to back you. You're view of history is distorted, try living in reality aka the present.

Sorry bro but Miami has the most talent out of any team in the league. Your opinion is nothing more to me than another incorrect opinion. I understand your motivation and realize that for some lebrons teammates will never be good enough no matter how many superstars he teams up with. I find it humorous.

NoahH
02-27-2014, 01:44 PM
Phoenix

Eric Bledsoe - Goran Dragic - Channing Frye / Markeiff Morris

Chronz
02-27-2014, 02:12 PM
Sorry bro but Miami has the most talent out of any team in the league. Your opinion is nothing more to me than another incorrect opinion. I understand your motivation and realize that for some lebrons teammates will never be good enough no matter how many superstars he teams up with. I find it humorous.

No need to apologize friend, your post had no substance, your claims are empty and devoid of facts, its why you ignored all questions/points raised, why would I take offense to what you think on the matter when its so easily picked apart?

beliges
02-27-2014, 02:20 PM

No need to apologize friend, your post had no substance, your claims are empty and devoid of facts, its why you ignored all questions/points raised, why would I take offense to what you think on the matter when its so easily picked apart?

You are stating wade is no longer elite and yet you claim my post has no substance? Have you seen wades numbers? Keep in mind he is usually playing the #2 or #3 role on this squad given the rest of the talent. I don't think anyone other than yourself would argue against the fact that Miami is the most talented squad in the league. Furthermore I don't see how anyone argues against the fact that they have 3 franchise players currently on their squad. Again I understand your motivation behind downplaying wade and even bosh. However, your opinion does not change the fact that Miami is the favorites this season for the simple face that they have Lebron, wade and bosh on the same team with a very good roster behind them.

Chronz
02-27-2014, 02:50 PM
You are stating wade is no longer elite and yet you claim my post has no substance?
Actually, I've stated that if Wade is a franchise guy, then we have tons of them in the league. Do try again.

And I would appreciate it if you responded to the questions I laid out for you. Spare me the hyperbole and unsubstantiated opinions, try being objective for once.

Goose17
02-27-2014, 03:30 PM
I miss prime Wade.

Chronz
02-27-2014, 04:04 PM
I miss prime Wade.

When did his prime end in your opinion? Think hes saving everything for the playoffs?

beliges
02-27-2014, 04:46 PM
Actually, I've stated that if Wade is a franchise guy, then we have tons of them in the league. Do try again.

And I would appreciate it if you responded to the questions I laid out for you. Spare me the hyperbole and unsubstantiated opinions, try being objective for once.

Im pretty sure I've responded to your questions. Excuse me for being purportedly unresponsive to your inquiries with my "hyperbole and unsubstantiated opinions." LOL. As I have repeatedly stated, your opinion of Wade will surely not change the fact that he is one of the elite players in this game today. And clearly, is was and still is capable of being a franchise guy. His numbers this year reflect that and his play on the floor makes that undisputedly clear. Clearly he is no longer the player he was 5 years or ago or even 2 years ago. But He is barely in his 30s and with knee problems, still one of the better perimeter players in the league.

Goose17
02-27-2014, 05:00 PM
When did his prime end in your opinion? Think hes saving everything for the playoffs?

He really started to regress imo around early 2012.

I still think he has something in the tank for a couple of playoff runs, but he's a far cry from the days of scoring in the high twenties/low thirties on about 50% with 7 assists, 5 rebounds, a couple of steals and a block.

Wade was a monster not too long ago. He's still good, he's just on his way down now.

whyumadbro!
02-27-2014, 05:08 PM
1. Heat
2. Spurs
3. :phew:
4. :phew:
5. :phew:

Chronz
02-27-2014, 05:17 PM
Im pretty sure I've responded to your questions.
Nope, you ignored them entirely. Here they are again:

In what reality does giving a player a bigger work load increase his odds of remaining healthy?

And a side challenge that I've brought up in the past:
If you can point to any team that had less talent than Bron did in Cleveland all while winning that many games (as I have requested in the past), then by all means, plz provide them.

As I have repeatedly stated, your opinion of Wade will surely not change the fact that he is one of the elite players in this game today. And clearly, is was and still is capable of being a franchise guy.
Based on what tho? Like I've said, IF Wade is still one of those guys, then the NBA has alot of those guys. How can you ask him to carry a franchise when he struggles with his health despite the advantage of having Bron around to do all the heavy lifting?

Im bolding it in the hopes that you finally confront it.

His numbers this year reflect that and his play on the floor makes that undisputedly clear.
They go against it actually.

Clearly he is no longer the player he was 5 years or ago or even 2 years ago. But He is barely in his 30s and with knee problems, still one of the better perimeter players in the league.

Agreed. He is one of the better perimeter players. Such a vague concept cannot be denied, but when you start talking about FRANCHISE guys, you begin to overrate him, the statistics and his performance on the court confirm this. In stretches he can resemble that guy but those stretches are far and few between.

SPURSFAN1
02-27-2014, 05:22 PM
1. Heat
2. Spurs
3. :phew:
4. :phew:
5. :phew:

I agree. Spurs big 3 are all alpha-males.

beliges
02-27-2014, 06:12 PM
Nope, you ignored them entirely. Here they are again:

In what reality does giving a player a bigger work load increase his odds of remaining healthy?

And a side challenge that I've brought up in the past:
If you can point to any team that had less talent than Bron did in Cleveland all while winning that many games (as I have requested in the past), then by all means, plz provide them.

Based on what tho? Like I've said, IF Wade is still one of those guys, then the NBA has alot of those guys. How can you ask him to carry a franchise when he struggles with his health despite the advantage of having Bron around to do all the heavy lifting?

Im bolding it in the hopes that you finally confront it.

They go against it actually.

Agreed. He is one of the better perimeter players. Such a vague concept cannot be denied, but when you start talking about FRANCHISE guys, you begin to overrate him, the statistics and his performance on the court confirm this. In stretches he can resemble that guy but those stretches are far and few between.

Ive never stated that increasing one's workload increases his odds of remaining healthy. Not sure where you got this from.

Only time I mentioned Lebron in Cleaveland was to point out that no matter where Lebron seems to go, some people like to downplay his teammates. Again, not sure where you got this from.

And no, Wade is still clearly a franchise player. Just because he is on his way down from his prime, does not mean he can no longer carry a franchise. I have no doubt in my mind that if you take Lebron off the Heat, and with Wade leading as the #1 option they will make the playoffs and quite possibly make noise in the post season. Wade can carry a franchise if he has to, he has more than proven that. However, now that he doesnt have to do it alone, you want to say that he's pretty much washed up? Wade has the luxury of resting during the regular season because his team is so talented. However, at the end of the day he is still an all-star starter and one of the few guys that are considered franchise players for me. Clearly a few short years ago he was one of the 5 best players in the league. Im not saying he is there anymore, but it is downright inaccurate to insinuate he is washed up when he is still playing at a very high level.

Chronz
02-27-2014, 07:19 PM
Ive never stated that increasing one's workload increases his odds of remaining healthy. Not sure where you got this from.
So then how can a player carry a franchise when he has trouble staying healthy despite the minutes management? Have you not been paying attention to his injury troubles the last 3 years? This ignoring the multitude of injuries hes sustained even in his prime.

Only time I mentioned Lebron in Cleaveland was to point out that no matter where Lebron seems to go, some people like to downplay his teammates. Again, not sure where you got this from.
Because how can you downplay his teammates when you cant provide a team that won as much as they did despite that lack of talent. In other words, its not downplaying them, its acknowledging the truth.

And no, Wade is still clearly a franchise player. Just because he is on his way down from his prime, does not mean he can no longer carry a franchise. I have no doubt in my mind that if you take Lebron off the Heat, and with Wade leading as the #1 option they will make the playoffs and quite possibly make noise in the post season. Wade can carry a franchise if he has to, he has more than proven that.
What makes you think hes proven that?

However, now that he doesnt have to do it alone, you want to say that he's pretty much washed up?
Washed up? No, hes a good player when healthy, but no longer a franchise player unless you admit we have several of them in the league.

Wade has the luxury of resting during the regular season because his team is so talented.
And yet despite this luxury, has entered the post season battered with injuries the last 2 post seasons. Yet somehow hes "PROVEN" capable of carrying a franchise? LMFAO, in what world does a players injury concerns go down with MORE of a burden?

However, at the end of the day he is still an all-star starter
Which implies popularity, not level of play/production.

and one of the few guys that are considered franchise players for me.
If hes a franchise guy then CLEARLY, there are many in the league. But humor me, who are these franchise guys? Since its a short list, surely you can list them.

Clearly a few short years ago he was one of the 5 best players in the league.
Define short. Hes entered the playoffs injured for 2 years now, where he played NOTHING like a top 5 player, not even close.

Im not saying he is there anymore, but it is downright inaccurate to insinuate he is washed up when he is still playing at a very high level.
Hes not washed up, hes still an All-Star caliber player, but hes no longer playing at a franchise level and is no longer durable enough to carry a franchise. These are facts backed by production and observation.

Chronz
02-27-2014, 09:08 PM
One more question Beliges, why bring up being an All-Star Starter but make no mention of the All-NBA Third Team Wade gets resigned to?

Chronz
02-27-2014, 10:00 PM
If Wade plays like this in the playoffs, Ill take back everything I said Beliges. Hes tearing up the Knicks with some vintage moves.

amos1er
02-27-2014, 10:26 PM
Miami's big three was the best of all time for sure. Can someone name me another time when a top 5 player teamed up with another top five and fifteen player??? Also took less money to do so??? Out of any of the players in the top ten of all time (even top fifteen) no one has had that much help to win a ring. Here is a good meme I found that just about sums it all up...

http://jeffzelaya.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/05/Miami-Heat-Jokes-Michael-Jordan.jpg

P&GRealist
02-27-2014, 10:34 PM
If Wade plays like this in the playoffs, Ill take back everything I said Beliges. Hes tearing up the Knicks with some vintage moves.

Nobody can stop the Heat

Jamiecballer
02-27-2014, 10:58 PM
Miami's big three was the best of all time for sure. Can someone name me another time when a top 5 player teamed up with another top five and fifteen player??? Also took less money to do so??? Out of any of the players in the top ten of all time (even top fifteen) no one has had that much help to win a ring. Here is a good meme I found that just about sums it all up...

http://jeffzelaya.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/05/Miami-Heat-Jokes-Michael-Jordan.jpg

unless i misunderstood the thread this was supposed to be about this year.

Chronz
02-28-2014, 12:23 AM

Actually, those guys never won on their own. Magic threatened to stay in College if he didn't land in LA alongside Kareem. MJ threatened to retire if they traded away his binkie in Pippen. Bird never angled for teammates but for the most part, he was given plenty of support. Not that it matters, it sure as hell didn't prevent Bird from hailing Bron's run as quite possibly the most dominant hes ever personally witnessed.

And what makes you think nobody has ever had that much help to win? Bron definitely had it harder than some of Kobe's titles, if not all.

theDEATHWAFFLE
02-28-2014, 12:45 AM
I would go with:
1. Miami (James, Wade, Bosh)
2. Houston (Harden, Howard, Parsons)
3. OKC (Durant, Westbrook, Ibaka)
4. Indiana (George, Hibbert, West/Stephenson)
5. Portland (Aldridge, Lillard, Batum/Matthews)

I left off San Antonio just because they regressed a little bit this year. Portland made great improvements and Indiana is pretty much dominating the east along with Miami. I put Houston ahead of OKC just because Westbrook has been out for most of the year.

mngopher35
02-28-2014, 01:03 AM
I would go with:

I left off San Antonio just because they regressed a little bit this year. Portland made great improvements and Indiana is pretty much dominating the east along with Miami. I put Houston ahead of OKC just because Westbrook has been out for most of the year.

Why aren't the Clippers on there though?

mrblisterdundee
02-28-2014, 01:10 AM
I would go with:

No offense, but you just listed four players on one team, twice. The whole point of this thread is to rank big threes. If Batum/Matthews and Stephenson/West are that equivalent, it means Portland and Indiana probably shouldn't be on the list.
Add that to the fact that you're talking about how San Antonio has regressed, when it's currently the fourth most winningest team in basketball.

Goose17
02-28-2014, 08:49 AM
I would go with:

Strange list.