PDA

View Full Version : J. Crawford is ballin

IKnowHoops
02-23-2014, 07:37 PM
Funny how Vinny had this guy on the bench. Doc comes in and starts this guy and dude plays like an all-star. Vinny, you weren't a bad coach, but this is why you don't have the job anymore. This guy should have been starting from jump.

SportsFanatic10
02-23-2014, 07:57 PM
i don't really follow the clippers closely...but isn't the only reason doc is starting him because redick is out.

COOLbeans
02-23-2014, 08:12 PM
superly

COOLbeans
02-23-2014, 08:12 PM
i don't really follow the clippers closely...but isn't the only reason doc is starting him because redick is out.

hes still better than Reddick

2-ONE-5
02-23-2014, 08:13 PM
doesnt matter if hes better than Reddick that doesnt change that Reddick is the starter when healthy. Everyone knows Crawford can play and he been the best 6th man for years

COOLbeans
02-23-2014, 08:18 PM
doesnt matter if hes better than Reddick that doesnt change that Reddick is the starter when healthy. Everyone knows Crawford can play and he been the best 6th man for years

The poster used the word 'only' to imply that Crawford is only playing well because he has the opportunity. Crawford's been playing well the entire year, despite Reddick

Walt
02-23-2014, 08:24 PM
No, Vinny sucked. He sucked really bad.

SPURSFAN1
02-23-2014, 08:25 PM
Manu was mainly a bench player his entire career. I guess that makes Pop a bad coach. Harden was also a bench player for OKC. Vinny and OKC understand their is only one basketball.

KnicksorBust
02-23-2014, 08:30 PM
He has always been a baller just needed to find a team that wouldnt rely on him to lead them every game. LAC is perfect because they can win when he has off games.

koreancabbage
02-23-2014, 08:31 PM
its about balance. Crawford can be really efficient when he doesn't have the ball in hands too much. Crawford is the go-to guy for the secondary unit and that is very much a bonus on a contending team.

I don't see why he shouldn't be off the bench, depending on the theory and plus...Reddick was balling before he got injured... thus Crawford is starting. Does Crawford lose 6th man status if he starts too much? (i.e. eligible for the award?)

SportsFanatic10
02-23-2014, 08:41 PM

agreed. i also think vinny wasn't that good of a coach, but the op made it sound like doc was a genius for starting crawford when he actually starts redick when healthy. either way crawford provides a nice scoring threat.

2-ONE-5
02-23-2014, 08:51 PM
The poster used the word 'only' to imply that Crawford is only playing well because he has the opportunity. Crawford's been playing well the entire year, despite Reddick

i know. i even said that guess i just took your post a different way

mightybosstone
02-23-2014, 09:01 PM
I agree the guy is playing well, but OP is way off in thinking this had anything to do with Doc. First off, Crawford is only starting because Redick is out, and the dude's only started like 20 games this year. But he thrives in a sixth man role, and he can pretty much come in and provide a spark of offense whenever he's needed. OP is also off in thinking this production is a new development. Compare his numbers this year with last year. He's averaging more points thanks to a few more minutes, FGA and FTA, but overall the advanced numbers indicate he's pretty much the same player as last year. The TS% is nearly identical despite a drop in shooting percentages because he's getting to the line a little more, and his PER and WS/48 are only slightly higher than last year.

Bottom line, Crawford is a great No. 3 or No. 4 offensive weapon in LA whether he's on the bench or starting and regardless of the team's head coach, and he's playing the best basketball of his career right now. Now if only Doc could get him to stop taking contested 35-footers.

flea
02-23-2014, 09:05 PM
Every IKnowHoops thread just adds to the irony of the username.

Ill21
02-23-2014, 09:12 PM
Yeah this is the perfect situation for crawford

GiantsSwaGG
02-23-2014, 09:14 PM
Funny how Vinny had this guy on the bench. Doc comes in and starts this guy and dude plays like an all-star. Vinny, you weren't a bad coach, but this is why you don't have the job anymore. This guy should have been starting from jump.

Judging by your username, I'm taking your word for it

Clippersfan86
02-23-2014, 09:34 PM
Crawford has been amazing but Redick is better for the starting 5. Better shooter , incredible synergy on 2 man game with Griffin, better off the ball. Crawford is best carrying our bench because he's that gpod.

OlivaThor
02-23-2014, 09:42 PM
Reddick is 10x better starter than Crawford .. Jamal is typical sixth man player

IKnowHoops
02-24-2014, 01:53 AM
I agree the guy is playing well, but OP is way off in thinking this had anything to do with Doc. First off, Crawford is only starting because Redick is out, and the dude's only started like 20 games this year. But he thrives in a sixth man role, and he can pretty much come in and provide a spark of offense whenever he's needed. OP is also off in thinking this production is a new development. Compare his numbers this year with last year. He's averaging more points thanks to a few more minutes, FGA and FTA, but overall the advanced numbers indicate he's pretty much the same player as last year. The TS% is nearly identical despite a drop in shooting percentages because he's getting to the line a little more, and his PER and WS/48 are only slightly higher than last year.

Bottom line, Crawford is a great No. 3 or No. 4 offensive weapon in LA whether he's on the bench or starting and regardless of the team's head coach, and he's playing the best basketball of his career right now. Now if only Doc could get him to stop taking contested 35-footers.

OK.............So..............Which is it?

IKnowHoops
02-24-2014, 01:56 AM
Every IKnowHoops thread just adds to the irony of the username.

I must admit, your posts are spot on for your username.

IKnowHoops
02-24-2014, 02:01 AM
Crawford should start, and get starters minutes. He should actually get the most minutes. Rather than have him carry the bench, Start him and just get your rotations right. He was a beast today against OKC and I would favor the Clippers in a series if Crawford started and played about 35-38 minutes a game. Dude is very hard to deal with and will just make that team put super duper pressure on the opposing starting five with him in there.

IKnowHoops
02-24-2014, 02:03 AM

Its not that I think his play is just now starting to be good, but his minutes are allowing his good play to produce all star stat lines. Understand?

sunsfan88
02-24-2014, 02:05 AM
Is he efficient?

And Doc is only starting him cause Redick is out otherwise he would have J-Crawford coming off the bench just like Del Negro.

tredigs
02-24-2014, 03:50 AM
Its not that I think his play is just now starting to be good, but his minutes are allowing his good play to produce all star stat lines. Understand?

Easy - he's not getting many more minutes (he always hovers around 30 I feel), but having less defensive pressure for more of the game is an added bonus.

Crafty, dangerous dangerous player though. One of my favorite guards in the NBA to watch on the offensive end, the guy has an awesome game. Great personality too. Loved watching him live in his short stint for GS after 'We Believe', but he didn't fit the squad that was already too small and defensively inept.

tredigs
02-24-2014, 03:54 AM
Is he efficient?

And Doc is only starting him cause Redick is out otherwise he would have J-Crawford coming off the bench just like Del Negro.

For the amount of tough shots he takes (some, probably not all necessary...) he's pretty efficient. Obviously he shoots a lot of 3's and has a low FG% partly as a result, but for his size/age he's great at drawing contact (just a sneaky bastard who will generate calls and is absolutely deadly from the line).

And yeah, that's true on the starting bit.

Cracka2HI!
02-24-2014, 04:31 AM
Crawford is carrying the team with Blake but it's not a secret that he's good. He's shed the chucker label with the Clippers for the most part.

mightybosstone
02-24-2014, 09:44 AM
OK.............So..............Which is it?
It's both. This has been his best season as a pro, but he was very good last year. Basically the last two seasons he's played the best basketball of his career, which is why I'm saying Doc had very little to do with his progression as a player.

Crawford should start, and get starters minutes. He should actually get the most minutes. Rather than have him carry the bench, Start him and just get your rotations right. He was a beast today against OKC and I would favor the Clippers in a series if Crawford started and played about 35-38 minutes a game. Dude is very hard to deal with and will just make that team put super duper pressure on the opposing starting five with him in there.
It doesn't really matter where the Clippers play him as long as they're giving him 30+ minutes per night. There's advantages to having him start and having him play the 6th man role. But the benefit of having two sharpshooters like Crawford and Redick is you can go with whichever guy is hottest down the stretch in the fourth quarter.

Yes, but he's only playing 1.6 minutes more than last season, and that's a direct result of Redick getting injured and Crawford picking up those minutes. You were insinuating that Doc realized his potential and allowed him to play more, when I don't believe that to be the case. I'm not saying that Doc hasn't helped Crawford at all as a player. That may be true, but Crawford is 33 years old and has played for something like 9 different NBA coaches. I doubt Doc is teaching him something at this point that he hasn't already heard.

Slug3
02-24-2014, 11:15 AM

Isn't that why Doc wanted him coming off the bench? To play a Manu type role for the Clippers?

Clippersfan86
02-24-2014, 12:22 PM
I'm going to give a few thoughts as a fan of the team, because some only watch an occasional national televised game.

1. Crawford is not better than Redick as a player. They are more or less equals in terms of tier of player. Having both gives us the best SG duo in the NBA which I love. The difference is Crawford is a FAR more explosive scorer and shot creater which makes him ideal carrying a bench unit as the star. Redick is best in the starting 5 because he's a superior 3 point shooter, is a smarter player who makes less errors and a more intelligent defender. That being said Redick doesn't have the explosive scoring ability of Jamal to carry an entire bench, which is another reason he's more suitable starting.

2. That being said, Crawford's biggest improvement this year has actually been his defense. I never thought a 33 year old could be taught to play D, but Doc has really beaten defense into his head. He will never be a "good" defender but he went from atrocious one, to "solid" in one summer with the new coaching staff. Before it used to be matador style D.

3. Crawford is one player that Vinny actually had zero negative affect on. Vinny gave him ultimate freedom to fire shots up at will and carry the bench. The only thing Doc has done differently is get him playing D and playing more off the ball. In terms of his freedom/opportunity though it's the same.

SportsFanatic10
02-24-2014, 01:28 PM
Yes, but he's only playing 1.6 minutes more than last season, and that's a direct result of Redick getting injured and Crawford picking up those minutes. You were insinuating that Doc realized his potential and allowed him to play more, when I don't believe that to be the case. I'm not saying that Doc hasn't helped Crawford at all as a player. That may be true, but Crawford is 33 years old and has played for something like 9 different NBA coaches. I doubt Doc is teaching him something at this point that he hasn't already heard.

i think he's had 17 head coaches lol...here's his halftime interview from yesterday's game where he names them all off the top of his head.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j6IGASF_bt8

mightybosstone
02-24-2014, 01:33 PM
i think he's had 17 head coaches lol...here's his halftime interview from yesterday's game where he names them all off the top of his head.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j6IGASF_bt8

Yeah, I saw an interview from a few weeks ago at an LA game where they asked him to name all his coaches, and I was stunned by how many he had. I just couldn't remember the number. But I think it's a testament to how good a fit he is in LA that he's putting up career numbers at age 33 given how many teams, coaches and systems he's played for. Sometimes it just takes the right spot to bring out a player's potential, and it takes a long time to get there.

IKnowHoops
02-24-2014, 01:37 PM
I'm going to give a few thoughts as a fan of the team, because some only watch an occasional national televised game.

1. Crawford is not better than Redick as a player. They are more or less equals in terms of tier of player. Having both gives us the best SG duo in the NBA which I love. The difference is Crawford is a FAR more explosive scorer and shot creater which makes him ideal carrying a bench unit as the star. Redick is best in the starting 5 because he's a superior 3 point shooter, is a smarter player who makes less errors and a more intelligent defender. That being said Redick doesn't have the explosive scoring ability of Jamal to carry an entire bench, which is another reason he's more suitable starting.

2. That being said, Crawford's biggest improvement this year has actually been his defense. I never thought a 33 year old could be taught to play D, but Doc has really beaten defense into his head. He will never be a "good" defender but he went from atrocious one, to "solid" in one summer with the new coaching staff. Before it used to be matador style D.

3. Crawford is one player that Vinny actually had zero negative affect on. Vinny gave him ultimate freedom to fire shots up at will and carry the bench. The only thing Doc has done differently is get him playing D and playing more off the ball. In terms of his freedom/opportunity though it's the same.

Yeah this is your team, so I know you know them, but as much as a benefit he is coming off the bench, I think he would benefit the team even more starting, allowing the starters to receive less defensive pressure. And then just get your rotations right. For example, Wade starts and at the same time because of rotations, Wade is on the court when Bron isn't. He doesn't need to come off the bench for them to make that happen.

Clippersfan86
02-24-2014, 01:43 PM
Yeah this is your team, so I know you know them, but as much as a benefit he is coming off the bench, I think he would benefit the team even more starting, allowing the starters to receive less defensive pressure. And then just get your rotations right. For example, Wade starts and at the same time because of rotations, Wade is on the court when Bron isn't. He doesn't need to come off the bench for them to make that happen.

Well.... Redick believe it or not draws even MORE attention than Crawford as a shooter because defenders are always having to chase him. He's not streaky like Crawford. Basically if you leave Redick wide open, goodnight. He's better off wearing out starting SG's making them chase. Plus as I said... based purely on playstyle... Redick off the bench= less successful for us.

Kashmir13579
02-24-2014, 02:25 PM
One of my all-time favorites, for sure. But he's on of the better 6men in the game, when he comes off the bench.

Kashmir13579
02-24-2014, 02:27 PM
Crawford has been amazing but Redick is better for the starting 5. Better shooter , incredible synergy on 2 man game with Griffin, better off the ball. Crawford is best carrying our bench because he's that gpod.

I agree with this.. As good of a shooter as Crawford is, he won't give Paul and Blake the spacing JJ will.

ewing
02-24-2014, 02:47 PM
How quick is this guys release off the bounce. No one has ever gotten fouled on more jump shots then Jamal Crawford and i don't think anyone has ever blocked a Jamal Crawford jump shot

Tony_Starks
02-24-2014, 03:43 PM
I was just saying this the other day. J Crossover is nice! The only player in the league that makes a NBA game look like a game at the park.....

smith&wesson
02-24-2014, 03:58 PM
crawford has been a 6th man for a long time. He starts now because reddicks and paul have both been out...

I personally think crawford >> reddick and would start him anyways and make reddick come off the bench. specially since that first unit can use a scoring punch other than blake and paul. .

Clippersfan86
02-24-2014, 05:53 PM
Only non Clippers fans think Crawford should start over Redick. It's really a no brainer that he should be carrying our bench NOT in the starting 5.

kdspurman
02-24-2014, 06:18 PM
Only non Clippers fans think Crawford should start over Redick. It's really a no brainer that he should be carrying our bench NOT in the starting 5.

I don't think it's that tough to understand. Crawford can create with the ball, he gives that 2nd unit a legit ball handler (along with Collison) and some scoring punch.

But depending on the matchup, I could see him in there as a closer with the starters because of his play-making ability and allowing Paul to play off the ball.

Clippersfan86
02-24-2014, 06:22 PM
I don't think it's that tough to understand. Crawford can create with the ball, he gives that 2nd unit a legit ball handler (along with Collison) and some scoring punch.

But depending on the matchup, I could see him in there as a closer with the starters because of his play-making ability and allowing Paul to play off the ball.

Which is true and happens. Crawford+Redick usually close games in small ball lineups replacing our SF's (weak links). BTW Crawford himself has embraced the 6th man role.

While most NBA players aspire to start, Crawford, in his 13th season in the league, realizes his value to a championship contender is as a scoring punch off the bench, and it’s a role he looks forward to returning to as soon as the injured J.J. Redick is ready to return.

“I can’t wait until he comes back because I get a chance to go back to the bench,” Crawford said. “We’ll hold down the fort until he gets back and healthy, until then we’ll get as many wins as possible. Our team is built for me to come off the bench and be that guy off the bench,” Crawford said. “Right now we’re a little undermanned and our second unit is struggling because of it.”

http://espn.go.com/blog/los-angeles/clippers/post/_/id/6003/crawford-barnes-provide-spark-for-clippers

kdspurman
02-24-2014, 06:24 PM
^Playing with the 2nd unit, you get to play a lot more free. You get accustomed to coming in and playing a certain way. It's an adjustment to start, but he's filled in very nicely. But I get why he wants to come off the bench. Manu is the same way

Cracka2HI!
02-24-2014, 11:33 PM
Only a solid 24 point performance for Jamal tonight. He is fitting in very well with the starters. I think he will be in there to close games out in the playoffs. Who knows if Reddick will even come back for one thing. If and when he does he will start for sure. That isn't even a topic of discussion. Like CF posted. Jamal wants to come off the bench. He will play more minutes than Reddick and they will play a lot together. Even a healthy Reddick won't replace Crawford's role with the starters late in the games. I think you'll see Blake and Jamal closing out games now.

flea
02-24-2014, 11:44 PM
The overreactions to players having hot streaks is amazing. No, this hot streak won't mean Jamal has the ball in his hands with the game on the line. He's on the wrong side of 30 but people still seem to forget how streaky he can be. He's perfect where he is, as a 6th man on a contender. He's done admirably filling in, but his spot-up J is not on the same level as Reddick's.

Kashmir13579
02-25-2014, 12:14 AM
The overreactions to players having hot streaks is amazing. No, this hot streak won't mean Jamal has the ball in his hands with the game on the line. He's on the wrong side of 30 but people still seem to forget how streaky he can be. He's perfect where he is, as a 6th man on a contender. He's done admirably filling in, but his spot-up J is not on the same level as Reddick's.
I have for several years thought he was an underrated player, and that if put in the right situation, early in his career, could have been a perennial all-star.

Kashmir13579
02-25-2014, 12:17 AM
Only a solid 24 point performance for Jamal tonight. He is fitting in very well with the starters. I think he will be in there to close games out in the playoffs. Who knows if Reddick will even come back for one thing. If and when he does he will start for sure. That isn't even a topic of discussion. Like CF posted. Jamal wants to come off the bench. He will play more minutes than Reddick and they will play a lot together. Even a healthy Reddick won't replace Crawford's role with the starters late in the games. I think you'll see Blake and Jamal closing out games now.
People get too hung up on a thing that is somewhat arbitrary.. It only matters in the first few minutes of the game, by definition. JR Smiths dumb-*** came off the bench and played more than any starter on the Knicks..

NoahH
02-25-2014, 02:49 AM
Good because i just dumped Jeff Green and his abhorrent FG% for Jamal Crawford in fantasy basketball (who is shooting quite well in the past 30 days)

airforceones25
03-01-2014, 12:41 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ibwRXrmHtaA&feature=c4-overview&list=UUUrLr7YtzUqTlTI1Q8hgqnA

Hurry back!

kylem4711
03-01-2014, 05:21 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ibwRXrmHtaA&feature=c4-overview&list=UUUrLr7YtzUqTlTI1Q8hgqnA

Hurry back!

The song and ralph lawler are a perfect match for the video.