PDA

View Full Version : Jason Collins signs w/ the Nets

KniCks4LiFe
02-23-2014, 01:50 PM
Collins' decision to sign a 10-day contract with the Nets comes with Glen Davis opting to join the Los Angeles Clippers. The 35-year-old Collins will be in uniform for the Nets against the Los Angeles Lakers on Sunday night, sources say.

The Nets moved quickly to sign Collins to have another big body available against the Lakers.
(source) (http://espn.go.com/new-york/nba/story/_/id/10506550/jason-collins-sign-brooklyn-nets?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter)

so let me get this straight the Nets, in a move to become better in the NBA, sign Jason Collins and takes away minutes from Mason Plumlee?

Earl Clark is out there no?
Charlie V no?
Ivan Johnson
that Kirstic kid they use to have

I hope the Killer B's drop 40 on them tonight

xxplayerxx23
02-23-2014, 01:52 PM
He's a scrub who cares.
All those players you named are scrubs too doesn't matter he won't play much

metswon69
02-23-2014, 01:53 PM
The only significance to this is that he is the first openly gay player in the 4 major sports, otherwise he's a bench piece that will get limited minutes and will presumably not be offered another deal after those 10 days are up.

KniCks4LiFe
02-23-2014, 01:54 PM
The only significance to this is that he is the first openly gay player in the 4 major sports, otherwise he's a bench piece that will get limited minutes and will presumably not be offered another deal after those 10 days are up.

are they that desperate for press?

COOLbeans
02-23-2014, 02:00 PM
Highly political, can he still play?

lamzoka
02-23-2014, 02:01 PM
A scrub gay NBA player

Jamiecballer
02-23-2014, 02:02 PM
they are in the 8th spot. doubt it has anything to do with press.

KniCks4LiFe
02-23-2014, 02:03 PM
they are in the 8th spot. doubt it has anything to do with press.

sarcasm?

GoKnicksGo78
02-23-2014, 02:06 PM
Good for the Nets.

KnicksorBust
02-23-2014, 02:06 PM
I honestly dont think this is for press its what they would have done anyway to add size and defense. These 10 contracts happen all the time and nobody bats an eye 99 times out of 100.

Jamiecballer
02-23-2014, 02:09 PM
sarcasm?

uh no. they are in a playoff position. i doubt it has anything to do with anything other than trying to give themselves the best chance to win. i'm sure in their mind he fills a need - no pun intended.

KniCks4LiFe
02-23-2014, 02:13 PM
I honestly dont think this is for press its what they would have done anyway to add size and defense. These 10 contracts happen all the time and nobody bats an eye 99 times out of 100.

Are you serious? LOLS

what does Jason Collins do better than Big Baby?
what does Jason Collins do better than a D League big?
what does Jason Collins do better than Earl Clark?

You know what Jason Collins is. You live in NY you saw the illegal screens, the kung fu Jerome James like fighting foul prone post D, the most horrible set shot lift in the NBA for a big, lesser than 2 inch verticle...how is that a basketball move?

Would you have liked us to sign Jason Collins? b/c that's in essence what you're saying, b/c last I checked the Nets have more big depth than us.

tredigs
Good for the Nets.

Haha - change of heart on the gay bash from a 2nd account?

Anyway, whatever. Irrelevant player on an irrelevant team.

Emperor Eye
Collins v Pau Gasol should be interesting.

metswon69
02-23-2014, 02:14 PM
are they that desperate for press?

Who knows? It does reflect well on the organization and is a landmark moment for homosexuals in major sports.

That said, I don't know why else they would sign a guy who has averaged 1.6 points and 1.1 rebounds last year. He's an adequate defender if that helps them.

ManRam
02-23-2014, 02:14 PM
(source) (http://espn.go.com/new-york/nba/story/_/id/10506550/jason-collins-sign-brooklyn-nets?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter)

so let me get this straight the Nets, in a move to become better in the NBA, sign Jason Collins and takes away minutes from Mason Plumlee?

Charlie V no?
Ivan Johnson

Are any of those guys 7 foot centers that can defend well?

abe_froman
02-23-2014, 02:15 PM

i doubt it takes any mins from plumlee,collins is an end of the bench piece,i dont think they envision a huge role for him.he can defend and give fouls if needed...no idea why you're so upset about it

KniCks4LiFe
02-23-2014, 02:16 PM
Are any of those guys 7 foot centers that can defend well?

is Jason Collins and 7 foot center that can defend well? com'on bro. If he weren't gay, he wouldn't be in the NBA.

He's the token gay player. That's why that was done.

KnicksorBust
02-23-2014, 02:16 PM

Are you serious? LOLS

what does Jason Collins do better than Big Baby?
what does Jason Collins do better than a D League big?
what does Jason Collins do better than Earl Clark?

You know what Jason Collins is. You live in NY you saw the illegal screens, the kung fu Jerome James like fighting foul prone post D, the most horrible set shot lift in the NBA for a big, lesser than 2 inch verticle...how is that a basketball move?

Would you have liked us to sign Jason Collins? b/c that's in essence what you're saying, b/c last I checked the Nets have more big depth than us.

Collins defenders the paint better than those guys and has experience.

KnicksorBust
02-23-2014, 02:17 PM
I cant believe I am actually defending a 10 contract signing. Either people are ignorant how often these deals happen or they are greatly overrating the fa/dleague talent. Which is it?

KniCks4LiFe
02-23-2014, 02:18 PM

find me the clip showcasing this. Or show me the statline.

2-ONE-5
02-23-2014, 02:21 PM
publicity stunt. you're tellin me they rather sign a 35 year old guy whose been outta the league a few years instead of trying out someone like Daniel Orton or Dwayne Dedmon, etc?

ManRam
02-23-2014, 02:21 PM
is Jason Collins and 7 foot center that can defend well? com'on bro. If he weren't gay, he wouldn't be in the NBA.

He's lasted 14 years. What's one more? He got a contract last year after an identical season to last year.

He's a veteran 7 footer who is going to serve as very insignificant depth who has history with both Jason Kidd and the organization. They needed another big body to stash on the bench. Whatever. For a 10 day contract there's nothing curious about it. These signings of over the hill veterans happen ALL THE TIME.

They don't need to be trying out crappy young guys. They're just bringing in a guy with experience who won't cause any problems.

Tony_Starks
02-23-2014, 02:27 PM
Jason Collins has a skillset that's very unique. He's big and can set screens and give 6 fouls. Those kind of intangibles aren't easy to come by.

Plus they had to hurry up and get him to LA to deal with the Lakers monster front court.....

KnicksorBust
02-23-2014, 02:28 PM

A clip ? He made a name for himself for his stellar D on Dwight Howard that helped the Hawks upset the Magic. Do you not remember that?

KniCks4LiFe
02-23-2014, 02:29 PM
publicity stunt. you're tellin me they rather sign a 35 year old guy whose been outta the league a few years instead of trying out someone like Daniel Orton or Dwayne Dedmon, etc?

Exactly. Anyone can see this. If you're not you are blind. Michael Sams is a talented athlete will have a good NFL career. The team that drafts him will do it for the skills he provides on the field of play, Jason Collins is a garbarge vet player that is getting on an NBA roster just for the sole fact that he is gay.

FlakeyFool
02-23-2014, 02:30 PM

Oh I get it now

Green_Monster
02-23-2014, 02:31 PM

Yup. He also played with Kidd from 2001-2008 on the Nets and played with Pierce and Garnett last year.

ManRam
02-23-2014, 02:32 PM
Exactly. Anyone can see this. If you're not you are blind. Michael Sams is a talented athlete will have a good NFL career. The team that drafts him will do it for the skills he provides on the field of play, Jason Collins is a garbarge vet player that is getting on an NBA roster just for the sole fact that he is gay.

You're VERY angry about this....

Jamiecballer
02-23-2014, 02:33 PM

for a spot at the very end of the bench, why not? it's valuable to have guys at the end of the bench who you know EXACTLY what you are going to get each and every time out if required.

KniCks4LiFe
02-23-2014, 02:34 PM
You're VERY angry about this....

b/c this is not basketball move. Any team does that and I get mad. When Tebow came to NY I was pissed. Now they got the gay version of Tebow.

Green_Monster
02-23-2014, 02:35 PM

He played last year. :laugh2:

If he was signed by a different team, you wouldn't care.

tredigs
02-23-2014, 02:35 PM

Haha, so it's just random coincidence that he's spent the last decade playing in the NBA (in the closet), as recently as this past season and 6+ years in New Jersey?

They didn't pick this guy up at the YMCA bud, he's a seasoned veteran and signings like this happen every year to players who are still trying to get a check. I see no reason why it couldn't have happened all the same if he didn't come out.

Jamiecballer
02-23-2014, 02:36 PM
b/c this is not basketball move. Any team does that and I get mad. When Tebow came to NY I was pissed. Now they got the gay version of Tebow.

you may as well admit you are a homophobe so we can just close this thread.

Tony_Starks
02-23-2014, 02:36 PM
If the fact that they're in a hurry to get him in uniform to play against the mighty Lakers tonight,IN LA no less, doesn't tip you off it's a publicity stunt I seriously question your intelligence.

It's gonna be plastered all over every media outlet tomorrow....

2-ONE-5
02-23-2014, 02:38 PM
[QUOTE=Green_Monster;28024344]He played last year. :laugh2:

doesnt change the point and relax he played 6 games last year

Tony_Starks
02-23-2014, 02:38 PM

You sound kind of sensitive. He hasn't said anything anti gay. He said Collins is a scrub and this a PR stunt. Both of which are facts.

2-ONE-5
02-23-2014, 02:39 PM
If the fact that they're in a hurry to get him in uniform to play against the mighty Lakers tonight,IN LA no less, doesn't tip you off it's a publicity stunt I seriously question your intelligence.

It's gonna be plastered all over every media outlet tomorrow....

haha exactly this

Goose17
02-23-2014, 02:40 PM
You sound kind of sensitive. He hasn't said anything anti gay. He said Collins is a scrub and this a PR stunt. Both of which are facts.

Nah, he's made homophobic comments before. I think it was him anyway, maybe it was someone with a similar username.

Green_Monster
02-23-2014, 02:41 PM
doesnt change the point and relax he played 6 games last year

What the **** are you talking about? He played in 38 games last year. You're embarrassing yourself.

KnicksorBust
02-23-2014, 02:42 PM

Calling it a PR stunt is not a fact. Signing a vet to a 10day contract to fill in some minutes on a thin roster is standard.

KniCks4LiFe
02-23-2014, 02:42 PM

I just said Michael Sams is going to be a good NFL player. I hope my Giants draft him. How can you conclude such a thing. If you can play, you can play.

KniCks4LiFe
02-23-2014, 02:43 PM
Nah, he's made homophobic comments before. I think it was him anyway, maybe it was someone with a similar username.

when did I do this? WHEN! now I'm pissed!

ManRam
02-23-2014, 02:44 PM

Why did he get a contract last year?

Jamiecballer
02-23-2014, 02:44 PM

really? i thought my statement was rather matter of fact. when a 14 year vet signs a contract to play in a league that he was able to last 14 seasons in, there is nothing fishy about it.

and for the record, if you think both of those things you said are facts i think it's possible that you need to brush up on the definition of fact. it's not the same as opinion.

tredigs
02-23-2014, 02:47 PM

As it does not fit his agenda, he will not respond to this post.

But, exactly.

Enough of this thread for me.

Jamiecballer
I just said Michael Sams is going to be a good NFL player. I hope my Giants draft him. How can you conclude such a thing. If you can play, you can play.

maybe you like gay people, i don't know for sure. or maybe you just are tolerant of them when you see something in it for you. how would i know.

Metsboi69
If it was a publicity stunt wouldn't the Nets sign him in the offseason? Or not try extremely hard to sign Big Baby INSTEAD of Collins. If you watched the Warriors game last night it's so obvious they need a big who can defend the post up, and get defensive rebounds. That's all this is, he's a 5-10 minute player, maybe.

KniCks4LiFe
02-23-2014, 02:48 PM

IDK. Desperation?

KniCks4LiFe
02-23-2014, 02:52 PM
maybe you like gay people, i don't know for sure. or maybe you just are tolerant of them when you see something in it for you. how would i know.

I would rather not be called a homophobe and instead have a decent discussion about this. The fact that an NBA team is saying there is no other big man in the D-League or FA better than Jason Collins, to me IMO that is a bunch of garbage. And I keep saying this, how is this guy, who is 38, a better option than playing Mason Plumlee? This is about basketball, explain that to me.

smith&wesson
02-23-2014, 02:54 PM
uh no. they are in a playoff position. i doubt it has anything to do with anything other than trying to give themselves the best chance to win. i'm sure in their mind he fills a need - no pun intended.

:laugh2: you kill me bro

Jamiecballer
02-23-2014, 02:56 PM
I would rather not be called a homophobe and instead have a decent discussion about this. The fact that an NBA team is saying there is no other big man in the D-League or FA better than Jason Collins, to me IMO that is a bunch of garbage. And I keep saying this, how is this guy, who is 38, a better option than playing Mason Plumlee? This is about basketball, explain that to me.
i'm pretty sure that's it's already been pointed out to you that Jason Collins and the Nets organization are extremely familiar with each other already so there is a level of certainty and comfort there.

Tony_Starks
"Today, Jason Collins tore open the last remaining closet in America, and became the first openly gay player to be signed by a team in one of the big four sports. We are especially excited that Jason will be playing in Brooklyn, just like Jackie Robinson, and in a marriage equality state. This is a piece of history, an important point on the continuum toward justice and a moment to celebrate," Brian Ellner, a member of the Athlete Ally board of directors said in a statement.

Still think it's just your typical veteran 10 day signing and it's just about basketball? Man it's hard to believe some of you are that gullible....

smith&wesson
I think its a bit a both.

They need the big body for practice and are hurting with injuries... Collins is cheap. no long term commitment.

They can also use some good press. its minor, but it cant hurt. The nets have had bad press all year long.

you add those two together, and you have a reason to sign him. not like its a long term hit. its minor.

Jamiecballer
02-23-2014, 02:58 PM
look at my Raptors, our backup center is 6 foot 7. we desperately need a big body who can throw his weight around on certain occasions. if we signed Collins instead of going after Glen Davis would that be crazy considering our specific needs? i don't think so.

Jamiecballer
02-23-2014, 02:59 PM
"Today, Jason Collins tore open the last remaining closet in America, and became the first openly gay player to be signed by a team in one of the big four sports. We are especially excited that Jason will be playing in Brooklyn, just like Jackie Robinson, and in a marriage equality state. This is a piece of history, an important point on the continuum toward justice and a moment to celebrate," Brian Ellner, a member of the Athlete Ally board of directors said in a statement.

Still think it's just your typical veteran 10 day signing and it's just about basketball? Man it's hard to believe some of you are that gullible....

did that quote come from the teams press release?

smith&wesson
02-23-2014, 03:00 PM

I think its def both. First off, its the business of basketball here. No ones trying to be an ambassador... If they didn't need him they wouldn't sign him. But hey, at the end o the day it doesn't hurt showing some class and getting some good press for it along the way too. why not.

ManRam
IDK. Desperation?

The Nets are clearly pretty desperate here too...

Dray Blatche is their only "center" right now. They just got out-rebounded by 11 to a team without their starting front court and turned Jermaine O'Neal into Dwight Howard.

The guy is a veteran whose presence on the bench, where he'll be most of the time, will have a better impact than these young garbage D-Leaguers you're talking about. If he has to play, he becomes their tallest player and even at his age a decent defender. This is a 10-day contract. Players of his age and caliber get signed to contracts all the time. This is nothing out of the ordinary despite how much you want it to be. If he was still in the closet NO ONE would blink an eye at it because of how ordinary it would look from that perspective.

KniCks4LiFe

P-u-b-l-i-c-i-t-y S-t-u-n-t

smith&wesson
02-23-2014, 03:01 PM
look at my Raptors, our backup center is 6 foot 7. we desperately need a big body who can throw his weight around on certain occasions. if we signed Collins instead of going after Glen Davis would that be crazy considering our specific needs? i don't think so.

we need a C sooo ****ing badly. urghfff.

waveycrockett
02-23-2014, 03:02 PM

Jason Collins did a great job defensively on Dwight Howard 2 years ago with the Hawks in the playoffs. I dont know what kind of clips your looking for but Collins has made a career in the NBA by being basically a quiet version of Kendrick Perkins. Nobody said he's going to play a ton of minutes. We need him for spot duty. Obviously our first choice was Glen Davis.

KniCks4LiFe
02-23-2014, 03:07 PM
Jason Collins did a great job defensively on Dwight Howard 2 years ago with the Hawks in the playoffs. I dont know what kind of clips your looking for but Collins has made a career in the NBA by being basically a quiet version of Kendrick Perkins. Nobody said he's going to play a ton of minutes. We need him for spot duty. Obviously our first choice was Glen Davis.

that one defensive job he did against Dwight Howard is the reason for this? [giggles]

2-ONE-5
02-23-2014, 03:10 PM
What the **** are you talking about? He played in 38 games last year. You're embarrassing yourself.

misread form after the trade but AGAIN it still doesnt change the point that its a PR stunt 100000%

waveycrockett
02-23-2014, 03:10 PM
that one defensive job he did against Dwight Howard is the reason for this? [giggles]

No I'm pretty sure his 12 year career in the NBA speaks for his defense unlessyou think his career average of 3 ppg is why he has been able to carve out such a long NBA career alot of those years as a starter for playoff teams. Defense has been his calling card. If he is able to provide 5-6 mins of solild post defense a night then he is fulfilling his role

Tony_Starks
02-23-2014, 03:13 PM
did that quote come from the teams press release?

Do you seriously think the Nets didnt anticpate this kind of reaction? Seriously? Do you really think it at no time it crossed their minds the great PR that comes along with being the first team in major sports to sign a openly gay player? Really?

You seem like a fairly intelligent guy it's hard for me to believe you don't get this......

Jamiecballer
02-23-2014, 03:18 PM
Do you seriously think the Nets didnt anticpate this kind of reaction? Seriously? Do you really think it at no time it crossed their minds the great PR that comes along with being the first team in major sports to sign a openly gay player? Really?

You seem like a fairly intelligent guy it's hard for me to believe you don't get this......

no, i'm simply pointing out that the Nets are not the ones trumpeting it. people are going to say what they are going to say, that doesn't actually mean that the Nets did it for that reason.

c.c.
This guy sucks though, it's too many players that deserve that opportunity more than him. Him being gay is the only reason he got that 10 day contract.

waveycrockett
Kind of funny 90% of this type of " OMGZ ITZ A PAHBLICITY STHUNT!!!" reaction is coming from Knicks fans. Seems like whenever the Nets steal the backpage for a day or 2 they get their panties in a bunch.

KniCks4LiFe
No I'm pretty sure his 12 year career in the NBA speaks for his defense unlessyou think his career average of 3 ppg is why he has been able to carve out such a long NBA career alot of those years as a starter for playoff teams. Defense has been his calling card. If he is able to provide 5-6 mins of solild post defense a night then he is fulfilling his role

Alright. That's what you believe.

just to let you know, it only gets worse from here on out.

You will be a radio topic now for all the wrong reasons
If the Nets lose and Collins does not do his job, the fans however much or less they are will speak on this
This is not a one day thing, this will be a daily microscope topic

So tell me when the Nets lose. B/c they will if his 5 mins aren't productive especially now w/ Livingston hurt. When they lose and Mason Plumlee isn't playing or they are coming up w/ excuses to keep Collins on the court, you think it's not going to be a big deal?

Green_Monster
02-23-2014, 03:24 PM
Kind of funny 90% of this type of " OMGZ ITZ A PAHBLICITY STHUNT!!!" reaction is coming from Knicks fans. Seems like whenever the Nets steal the backpage for a day or 2 they get their panties in a bunch.

Yeah, like I said, KniCks4LiFe is only angry because the Nets signed him. If it was any other team, he wouldn't care.

Tony_Starks
02-23-2014, 03:24 PM
What's the odds on him getting a standing ovation tonight?.......

KniCks4LiFe
02-23-2014, 03:26 PM
What's the odds on him getting a standing ovation tonight?.......

bet the house, and it'll be a 2 min type standing O.

TheNumber37
02-23-2014, 03:28 PM
I'm pretty sure they signed him because he's a solid defensive center who can go at Hibbert, who they are likely to see in the playoffs...
He's also a good locker room guy and has played with Pierce in Boston and has also played with the Nets before.

I'm expecting 2ppg, 3rpg in 10 min.

waveycrockett
Alright. That's what you believe.

just to let you know, it only gets worse from here on out.

You will be a radio topic now for all the wrong reasons
If the Nets lose and Collins does not do his job, the fans however much or less they are will speak on this
This is not a one day thing, this will be a daily microscope topic

So tell me when the Nets lose. B/c they will if his 5 mins aren't productive especially now w/ Livingston hurt. When they lose and Mason Plumlee isn't playing or they are coming up w/ excuses to keep Collins on the court, you think it's not going to be a big deal?
WHAT?
Your sounding crazy right now bro. It's not that serious. He is the 12th man.

Sadds The Gr8
I think they woulda signed him for the season instead of just 10 days if it was a publicity stunt

KniCks4LiFe
02-23-2014, 03:30 PM
WHAT?
Your sounding crazy right now bro. It's not that serious. He is the 12th man.

He is not just a regular 12th man. He we have a traveling circus.

He is the first openly gay athlete that will play in any sport. That is not going to be just a 12th man thing. That is what you're not getting.

Jamiecballer
02-23-2014, 03:31 PM
I think they woulda signed him for the season instead of just 10 days if it was a publicity stunt
that's a very sensible point. won't go over well.

waveycrockett
02-23-2014, 03:32 PM
He is not just a regular 12th man. He we have a traveling circus.

He is the first openly gay athlete that will play in any sport. That is not going to be just a 12th man thing. That is what you're not getting.
So arenas are going to sell out because people want to watch Jason Collins sit on the bench for 45 minutes?
Dude we had Kris Kardashian for the past 4 years this is nothing.

waveycrockett
02-23-2014, 03:33 PM
that's a very sensible point. won't go over well.

Not to mention we obviously made a hard push for Glen Davis on what would of been a guaranteed deal before collins. Glen happens to be a heterosexual.

KniCks4LiFe
02-23-2014, 03:36 PM
So arenas are going to sell out because people want to watch Jason Collins sit on the bench for 45 minutes?
Dude we had Kris Kardashian for the past 4 years this is nothing.

There's a difference here. Kris Kardashian was an under appreciated and hated by America basketball player. Jason Collins right now is being compared to Jackie Robinson on twitter and ESPN w/ no close comparison to merit it. The GLAAD will fully support this, this guy is now a traveling circus, just watch the pregame and questions that will come now.

Sadds The Gr8
02-23-2014, 03:42 PM
There's a difference here. Kris Kardashian was an under appreciated and hated by America basketball player. Jason Collins right now is being compared to Jackie Robinson on twitter and ESPN w/ no close comparison to merit it. The GLAAD will fully support this, this guy is now a traveling circus, just watch the pregame and questions that will come now.

He's pretty much a scrub that will barely play...you're making a big deal out of nothing. People won't care

NYJ - NYY
02-23-2014, 03:42 PM
Who cares?

abe_froman
02-23-2014, 03:44 PM
why do you care if there's a media circus or not,its not you're team.
...seriously,you're showing way too much obsession over this

Tony_Starks
02-23-2014, 03:46 PM
I give Collins his props though, he played the situation well. Milked one more contract out of it. Then with the publicity that will ensue he can't lose.

It's a good thing they have a vet core to deal with the circus though. Had this been a young team it wouldve been a problem.....

ewing
02-23-2014, 03:48 PM
Highly political, can he still play?

when could he?

KniCks4LiFe
02-23-2014, 03:49 PM
why do you care if there's a media circus or not,its not you're team.
...seriously,you're showing way too much obsession over this

I live in NY! This is going to be a topic! That's why. I had to go through days and weeks as a Giants fan hearing about the Jets and Tebow, this will be no different.

I give Collins his props though, he played the situation well. Milked one more contract out of it. Then with the publicity that will ensue he can't lose.

It's a good thing they have a vet core to deal with the circus though. Had this been a young team it wouldve been a problem.....

isn't he going for senate or something?

Goose17
02-23-2014, 03:56 PM
when did I do this? WHEN! now I'm pissed!

My bad if it wasn't you, no offense intended. Someone with a username similar to your own has had homophobic rants before (which I was banned for criticizing).

KniCks4LiFe
02-23-2014, 03:58 PM
My bad if it wasn't you, no offense intended. Someone with a username similar to your own has had homophobic rants before (which I was banned for criticizing).

Ok.

lol, please
02-23-2014, 04:00 PM
This thread is immediately funny because you added the [LMAO] at the end. :laugh2:

TheMightyHumph
02-23-2014, 04:13 PM
when could he?

When Hawks knocked Dwight and Magic out of the playoffs in the 1st rd?

Or maybe those two Finals appearances.

yankeeswin27
02-23-2014, 04:17 PM
Who gives a ****? ... The nets just signed a bench player ..BREAKING NEWS.

SugeKnight
02-23-2014, 04:21 PM
Hope he plays well for them

NoahH
02-23-2014, 04:28 PM
I was just looking at Jason Collins stats and he may be the worst NBA player to have a lengthy NBA career. He started like 6 straight seasons for the nets and put up brutal numbers.

Props for him tho becoming the first gay man in a pro sports league because thats a big step

KniCks4LiFe
02-23-2014, 04:33 PM
I was just looking at Jason Collins stats and he may be the worst NBA player to have a lengthy NBA career. He started like 6 straight seasons for the nets and put up brutal numbers.

Props for him tho becoming the first gay man in a pro sports league because thats a big step

if you want have a pick up game w/ NBA scrubs he's your C, Reggie Evans is your PF, Jarred Jefferies at SF, Chris Smith at SG and Raymond Felton at PG.

PAOboston
02-23-2014, 04:33 PM
He's a center, a veteran, and a great teammate/leader. Every team should have a spot for a player like that somewhere on the roster, especially for teams that are attempting to make the playoffs.

Cracka2HI!
02-23-2014, 04:41 PM
So the 1st openly gay athlete comes in on a 10 day contract.

numba1CHANGsta
02-23-2014, 04:44 PM
Why is the media making this such a damn big deal, seriously its only a 10 day contract, our society is a disgrace making sexual orientation such a big media circus. Who cares if he's gay, move on from this story its old

abe_froman
02-23-2014, 04:45 PM

not really,his offensive numbers are in the toilet sure,but he's defensive is actually pretty good

YoungOne
02-23-2014, 04:49 PM
nice bait thread...

lakerfan85
02-23-2014, 04:51 PM
Collins with the facial!! (Marv Albert voice)

Tony_Starks
02-23-2014, 05:00 PM
Lakers are so horrid defensively Collins might mess around and get a career high 9 points!

TheMightyHumph
02-23-2014, 05:23 PM

You think the NBA is about numbers?

TrueFan420
02-23-2014, 05:27 PM

False Robbie Rogers came out and left England to return to the mls. Before you go and say soccer isn't a top sport in the USA non sense, you're wrong. And it's the largest sport in the world.

ohreally
02-23-2014, 05:35 PM
He's a center, a veteran, and a great teammate/leader. Every team should have a spot for a player like that somewhere on the roster, especially for teams that are attempting to make the playoffs.

Exactly. Not a knucklehead. Knows his role. Won't cause problems. And will serve a need. Coming in at this point of the season, all these things are extremely positive.

Is there a political side to it as well? Yeah, obviously, especially the Russian equation. But I think if anything that probably made the decision more difficult.

The Ooh Child
02-23-2014, 05:41 PM
I bet it will be a total media frenzy for 12-24 hours while media outlets write their obligatory articles, and then this disappears as a piece of trivia. Man, the media, it will be out of control.

abe_froman
02-23-2014, 06:04 PM
False Robbie Rogers came out and left England to return to the mls. Before you go and say soccer isn't a top sport in the USA non sense, you're wrong. And it's the largest sport in the world.
mls isnt one of the 4 major sports leagues in the us,even those that do like soccer in the us watch european leagues instead

randyorton33
02-23-2014, 06:10 PM
He won't even get minutes tonight, you guys are all overreacting.

JLynn943
02-23-2014, 06:22 PM
He's been a good defensive player throughout his career, and KG and other teammates he's had all have had great things to say about him. The signing makes sense - bring in a guy your players like that can play a few minutes a game to help out defensively when needed.

Raps18-19 Champ
02-23-2014, 06:25 PM
Don't think they signed him simply because he is gay, but out of al the guys they could've signed, the publicity they will get certainly won't hurt.

He's not the best out there for sure. A handful of FA and guys in the D-League could probably contribute more than Collins. But overall, their contribution is so minimal anyway that it doesn't matter who they sign since they will all be bums.

Leftcoast_yg
02-23-2014, 06:46 PM
Sad how its so celebrated for being gay the commisioner commended collins for coming back to the nba. Why doesnt he do that when glen davis signed or other free agents??? Celebrated for being gay but meh if your straight or a christian.

mrblisterdundee
02-23-2014, 06:55 PM
At the very least, he provides six fouls to force the opposing team to the line. At the very most, he'll play decent defense in the interior. They didn't sign him just because he was gay. But it's nice that their Russian owner doesn't balk at adding him, considering his home country's record when it comes to treatment of homosexuals.

imagesrdecievin
02-23-2014, 07:44 PM
It's all about JKidd's reluctance to play KG in the 2nd half of back-to-backs (which tonight's game against the Lakers happens to be). Also the trust factor from Kidd/KG/Pierce.

Of course we'd rather of had Baby - but that didn't work out.

As for the premise of somebody in the D league being a better option (Dedmon) for example - that player wouldn't be capable of providing savvy veteran defense (the sole reason we are signing Collins).

As has been stressed repeatedly - it's a 10 day contract. He either pans out or we move on. This should be a non-issue. The comparison to Tebow was way off base. The Nets aren't signing Collins to sell tix - seriously, wtf?

Oldmantrash
02-23-2014, 07:47 PM

He won't take away minutes, it's just on those nights when KG doesn't play, they needed another big.
There is no one else any good available,
It's 10 day contrct, if he can't play he won't get another one.
If he contributes something he will
Non story, non factor.
Nets have only 13 players, they needed another.
That's that, no publicity, makes no sense

Asik's better
02-23-2014, 07:59 PM
Isn't Collins, Kg and Kidd all freinds? Besides they only signed him because they missed out on Davis. So it's not that much about PR.

kingsdelez24
02-23-2014, 08:22 PM
Watch him just score 100 points lol

TheMightyHumph
02-23-2014, 08:23 PM

I thought you understood this game.

Nets are getting crushed by strong bigmen who bully there way to the basket.

That is the one strength of Collins. He is willing to get VERY physical, frustrate those bigmen, foul them hard, and sometimes draw them into offensive fouls.

Collins isn't going to be taking away minutes from any Nets player.

He will be situational player that is used when the coach feels his one talent can be useful to the team.

Now read that, and to understand why Collins may still have some value, especially as it is only a 10 day contract.

I know you hate the Nets, and you know I hate the Knicks.

But outside of criticizing Knicks management (not that Billy King doesn't deserve to be SEVERELY mocked, but he isn't the owner), and stating that despite the great numbers 'Melo is putting up, he is a ball stopper, and I believe the Knicks would be better if they moved that ball around (dare I say it, possibly use a motion offense), I have not stated any anti-Knick sentiments (other than stating how GREAT a Knicks loss make me).

Knicks just bought out a decent PG (when the Knicks PG position is in chaos) and a (nutjob though he be) player that certainly has value as a defensive player and a loyalty to the Knicks.

Nets signed an old guy that plays physical defense on the bigger Centers in the league (again, to a 10 day contract).

I won't say 'you be the judge', because you are incredibly (INCREDIBLY) biased.

I'll let the rest of the NBA world (NY media is REALLY coming down on Dolan about the buyouts and their timing) make the call.

TheIlladelph16
02-23-2014, 08:33 PM
Sad how its so celebrated for being gay the commisioner commended collins for coming back to the nba. Why doesnt he do that when glen davis signed or other free agents??? Celebrated for being gay but meh if your straight or a christian.

Yes tell us more about the oppression that white, straight Christians have to suffer in this nation. I'm sorry it's been so horrible for you at the top of the food chain.

ewing
02-23-2014, 08:45 PM
When Hawks knocked Dwight and Magic out of the playoffs in the 1st rd?

Or maybe those two Finals appearances.

He isn't the first ****** player to play on a good team. He aveages like 3 and 3 for his carrer

TheMightyHumph
02-23-2014, 09:00 PM

The signing of Collins is not being celebrated because he is gay. It is being celebrated because he came out and announced he was gay, which he certainly didn't have to do. Hell, neither his girlfriend nor his brother knew he was gay. Jason came out because he felt it was unfair that being gay would exclude you from earning a living at your profession.

There have been (and I imagine some are playing in the NBA at this very moment) gay NBA players. Amaechi came out after he retired. I'm relatively sure Joe C. Meriwether was gay.

And all that kissing between Isiah and Magic Johnson, then Johnson gets HIV (as Bill Maher said at the time, "I guess his Johnson really wasn't Magic").

What a players' sexuality would have to do with their ability to play NBA basketball, I have no idea.

But Jason Collins played 12 seasons while being gay pretty much says it all.

God Bless America, and hopefully God Bless The NBA and its players.

ChiTownPacerFan
02-23-2014, 09:11 PM
You guys really need to stop letting your latent homophobia drive this false narrative. Jason Collins is a big who can play solid defense. That's why they signed him. If he were straight would you guys be blasting this move. No. You'd probably say, "good pickup, surprised he wasn't on a team yet." He was on a team last year, wasn't he? I don't remember outcry over that. I don't remember people starting a ton of threads saying, this guy is a horrible player and doesn't belong on a roster. He's only one year older, have his skills diminished that much? C'mon!

ChiTownPacerFan
02-23-2014, 09:14 PM

What the Christ does being Christian have to do with anything? Have people been too negatively stigmatized for being Christian to admit it in professional sports? Has there never ever been an openly Christian athlete? Think about what you're saying for a minute. You sound like a crazy person.

lamzoka
02-23-2014, 09:41 PM
He's gon grab a career high in RBS. Ain't nobody gon box him out. Lol

ewing
02-23-2014, 10:03 PM
You guys really need to stop letting your latent homophobia drive this false narrative. Jason Collins is a big who can play solid defense. That's why they signed him. If he were straight would you guys be blasting this move. No. You'd probably say, "good pickup, surprised he wasn't on a team yet." He was on a team last year, wasn't he? I don't remember outcry over that. I don't remember people starting a ton of threads saying, this guy is a horrible player and doesn't belong on a roster. He's only one year older, have his skills diminished that much? C'mon!

I've known that Jason Collins sucked at basketball for a long time. He sucked long before he came out of the closet. If you cant say a guy with Collins skill set sucks who can you say it about? Jason Collins is not a good NBA player. It not a good pick up and I dont think it will do anything for the team-just like most guy who gets signed to a 10 day

Raps18-19 Champ
02-23-2014, 10:09 PM

Lol I highly doubt anyone would be saying that.

ChiTownPacerFan
02-23-2014, 10:12 PM
I've known that Jason Collins sucked at basketball for a long time. He sucked long before he came out of the closet. If you cant say a guy with Collins skill set sucks who can you say it about? Jason Collins is not a good NBA player. It not a good pick up and I dont think it will do anything for the team-just like most guy who gets signed to a 10 day

He's not a good NBA player, but he is an NBA player. He's a veteran who can defend the post. That's more than enough to be a 12th man. There are plenty of guys in the NBA that are worse than him.

JasonJohnHorn
02-23-2014, 10:14 PM
Jason Kidd played with him in the past, and he's played for the Nets before. I'm sure there might have been a better option, but Plumlee will get the minutes, and they need a big body around in case somebody gets into foul trouble. Collins isn't a great rebounder, but he's a vet who knows what he's doing and won't make boneheaded plays when he's out there.

I think this had more to do with Collins having played with Kidd than him being gay. The Nets were looking at signing him in the offseason as an extra big man at the end of the bench, and decided not to. Now there's an opening, so it makes sense they'd go back to him.

JasonJohnHorn
02-23-2014, 10:16 PM
Why is the "LMAO" in the title? Not sure I see the purpose to that.

That said.... people act like this is because he's gay.... nobody tries to find reasons as to why Mike James gets picked up for ten-day contracts when there are better options. A vet is a vet. You need a guy at the end of the bench, it might as well be a pro who has been around.

ewing
02-23-2014, 10:18 PM
He's not a good NBA player, but he is an NBA player. He's a veteran who can defend the post. That's more than enough to be a 12th man. There are plenty of guys in the NBA that are worse than him.

No there aren't. If that were true he wouldn't be fishing for a job mid season at 35 and signing 10 days.

ewing
02-23-2014, 10:21 PM
Jason Kidd played with him in the past, and he's played for the Nets before. I'm sure there might have been a better option, but Plumlee will get the minutes, and they need a big body around in case somebody gets into foul trouble. Collins isn't a great rebounder, but he's a vet who knows what he's doing and won't make boneheaded plays when he's out there.

I think this had more to do with Collins having played with Kidd than him being gay. The Nets were looking at signing him in the offseason as an extra big man at the end of the bench, and decided not to. Now there's an opening, so it makes sense they'd go back to him.

I agree, i think his relationships within the organization helped get him a contract. That said he is still trash. I don't care who he is attracted to but i'm not going to pretend that Jason Collins is an asset b/c he is gay and seems like a good guy.

ChiTownPacerFan
02-23-2014, 10:30 PM
No there aren't. If that were true he wouldn't be fishing for a job mid season at 35 and signing 10 days.

Right, because Robert Sacre, Kendrick Perkins, and Nazr Mohammed are sooooo much better.

KniCks4LiFe
02-23-2014, 10:38 PM
Right, because Robert Sacre, Kendrick Perkins, and Nazr Mohammed are sooooo much better.

they actually are.

ewing
02-23-2014, 10:40 PM

they are better. If you have NBA experience, are 7 foot 260, stay in shape, and are known as a good character guy and are having trouble finding a job there its b/c you bring very little to the table

COOLbeans
02-23-2014, 10:42 PM
Why is the "LMAO" in the title? Not sure I see the purpose to that.

That said.... people act like this is because he's gay.... nobody tries to find reasons as to why Mike James gets picked up for ten-day contracts when there are better options. A vet is a vet. You need a guy at the end of the bench, it might as well be a pro who has been around.

Don't be so naive.

ManRam
02-23-2014, 10:46 PM
The dude's playing the day they signed him. They have NO size. Decimated by injuries up front.

Maybe some of it was making a (good) statement...but it looks pretty basketball related to me at this point. He's playing. If he didn't get a single second of PT, then it would have been a whole other issue. But they got a veteran, with size, who's more experienced than anyone out there, with history with both the coach and the team, who is a quality character guy, etc. etc. etc.

ChiTownPacerFan
02-23-2014, 10:50 PM
Collins had a defensive rating of 105 last year in Boston. Mohammed has a rating of 98 this year. Deny it all you want, he's a better post defender than a lot of old crappy bigs in the NBA.

KniCks4LiFe
02-23-2014, 10:50 PM
they are better. If you have NBA experience, are 7 foot 260, stay in shape, and are known as a good character guy and are having trouble finding a job there its b/c you bring very little to the table

don't bother, and now your gonna be labeled a homophobe for being honest and expressing your basketball opinion.

Raps18-19 Champ
02-23-2014, 10:53 PM
Collins had a defensive rating of 105 last year in Boston. Mohammed has a rating of 98 this year. Deny it all you want, he's a better post defender than a lot of old crappy bigs in the NBA.

You do realize you are comparing 2 bums who barely play right? Comparing their defensive rating won't do much.

ManRam
02-23-2014, 10:55 PM
You do realize you are comparing 2 bums who barely play right? Comparing their defensive rating won't do much.

Or that I could probably post a sub 110 D-Rtg on the Bulls :shrug:

Raps18-19 Champ
02-23-2014, 10:56 PM
The dude's playing the day they signed him. They have NO size. Decimated by injuries up front.

Maybe some of it was making a (good) statement...but it looks pretty basketball related to me at this point. He's playing. If he didn't get a single second of PT, then it would have been a whole other issue. But they got a veteran, with size, who's more experienced than anyone out there, with history with both the coach and the team, who is a quality character guy, etc. etc. etc.

Yea, it's pretty certain they need a big man, so there is some basketball related purposes. Though I think him being gay certainly put him ahead of some guys on the list of big men available due to the publicity.

ChiTownPacerFan
02-23-2014, 10:56 PM

Nope! It's clearly only because the Nets suddenly want some press for some reason. Think about it, now that they're playing better, they clearly need it. It's not like they needed some good press earlier in the season when they were sucking. And I mean, they play in New York and have a Bajillionaire owner, they clearly need to resort to desperate tactics like this to get any attention. All the pieces fit together perfectly... Right? Err... Umm..... Gay Agenda!!!!

Captain Moroni
02-23-2014, 10:57 PM
Good for Collins. Being Gay should not hinder anyone from playing professional sports. Whether a person believes it is right or wrong should not matter in regards to him being in the nba.

ChiTownPacerFan
02-23-2014, 11:01 PM

Yes, they're both end of the bench guys. Still like 10 MPG guys. I think that's enough of a sample size for the stat to have some merit. If you don't like that, I'll tell you that Collins of last year looks much better from the eye test. Do you really want to tell me that you think Nazr is significantly better at basketball? I would rather have Collins if I had to take one of them.

SpecialFNK
02-23-2014, 11:05 PM
I don't know if this has been mentioned. probably has. 76ers really going for the good PR moves. along with the openly homosexual Collins, this past week they signed down syndrome Kevin Grow to a 2 day contract.

poor Michael Sam. he came out prior to the NFL draft, maybe expecting to get drafted and play where HE could have been the first homosexual player in the 3 major sports.

Raps18-19 Champ
02-23-2014, 11:05 PM
Yes, they're both end of the bench guys. Still like 10 MPG guys. I think that's enough of a sample size for the stat to have some merit. If you don't like that, I'll tell you that Collins of last year looks much better from the eye test. Do you really want to tell me that you think Nazr is significantly better at basketball? I would rather have Collins if I had to take one of them.

Eh, I don't and will never really care to compare them to see who is better/worse. All I know is they are end of the bench guys who have minimal impact on their teams and their impact can probably be replicated by anyone signed. Replace Mohammed with other guys from the D-League and I would think the Bulls would probably have the exact same results this year and/or the year before that. Replace Collins with another big man available and I would think the outcome of today's game will probably be the exact same.

Raps18-19 Champ
02-23-2014, 11:07 PM
Or that I could probably post a sub 110 D-Rtg on the Bulls :shrug:

I've seen you play man. You are no good.

ChiTownPacerFan
02-23-2014, 11:08 PM
Eh, I don't and will never really care to compare them to see who is better/worse. All I know is they are end of the bench guys who have minimal impact on their teams and their impact can probably be replicated by anyone signed. Replace Mohammed with other guys from the D-League and I would think the Bulls would probably have the exact same results this year and/or the year before that. Replace Collins with another big man available and I would think the outcome of today's game will probably be the exact same.

You're right. So why sign an unknown D-league scrub when you can sign an established veteran, with good character who already has chemistry with the coach?

ManRam
02-23-2014, 11:09 PM
I don't know if this has been mentioned. probably has. 76ers really going for the good PR moves. along with the openly homosexual Collins, this past week they signed down syndrome Kevin Grow to a 2 day contract.

poor Michael Sam. he came out prior to the NFL draft, maybe expecting to get drafted and play where HE could have been the first homosexual player in the 3 major sports.

I'm sure Sam gives literally no ***** about Collins beating him to it.

ManRam
02-23-2014, 11:09 PM
I've seen you play man. You are no good.

THibs would find a way

Ill21
02-23-2014, 11:15 PM
publicity stunt

Raps18-19 Champ
02-23-2014, 11:17 PM
You're right. So why sign an unknown D-league scrub when you can sign an established veteran, with good character who already has chemistry with the coach?

Who knows why teams should sign a D-League scrub over a veteran scrub. But I do know that teams do it all the time (signing players from the d-league). We probably see as much d-league call ups/signings as established NBA veteran signings.

ChiTownPacerFan
02-23-2014, 11:20 PM
publicity stunt

why!!?

JasonJohnHorn
02-23-2014, 11:26 PM
Don't be so naive.

Naive about what? You think a pro sports team is going to sign somebody based on their sexual orientation? Please.

I think the signing deserves press, but the bottom line is Collins is a big man and they are shot on big men right now. I don't think this had anything to do with anything other than basketball.

xxplayerxx23
02-23-2014, 11:26 PM
THibs would find a way

I'm 5'10 and thins would find a way for me to defend SFs at a high level

NYSpirit1
02-24-2014, 12:17 AM

Charlie V no?
Ivan Johnson

I honestly don't know how Collins has lasted this long in the NBA. He hasn't averaged 3 POINTS a game since 2005-06, 8 years ago.

But yet he's continued to truck along. I haven't really paid attention to him ever. What are his strengths?

NYSpirit1
02-24-2014, 12:18 AM
Naive about what? You think a pro sports team is going to sign somebody based on their sexual orientation? Please.

I think the signing deserves press, but the bottom line is Collins is a big man and they are shot on big men right now. I don't think this had anything to do with anything other than basketball.

I'm just confused how on a basketball ability level, he's lasted this long. No more than 3 PPG since 05-06. He's good for like 2 points and a board or two.

KniCks4LiFe
02-24-2014, 12:57 AM
I honestly don't know how Collins has lasted this long in the NBA. He hasn't averaged 3 POINTS a game since 2005-06, 8 years ago.

But yet he's continued to truck along. I haven't really paid attention to him ever. What are his strengths?

beats me. They call him Mr. Intangible, lie about his athleticism, if he screws up, he has an out. Those other players I listed, if they were to play like Jason Collins, they wouldn't be in the NBA. Earl Clark can't have an off game like Collins, otherwise he won't be in the NBA. But Collins can, and for 12 years. That is astonishing to me.

DreamShaker
02-24-2014, 01:00 AM
Never will we see more hype and coverage for a 10 day contract again. Unless it's a chick or a robot.

KniCks4LiFe
02-24-2014, 01:05 AM
Marcus Camby
Ivan Johnson
Earl Clark
Drew Gooden
Nenad Kirstic
Charlie V

All better players than Jason Collins.

Duncan = Donkey
02-24-2014, 01:16 AM
Marcus Camby
Ivan Johnson
Earl Clark
Drew Gooden
Nenad Kirstic
Charlie V

True, but none of those guys are homosexual.

Tmath
02-24-2014, 01:22 AM

He was a good post defender.

todu82
02-24-2014, 01:26 AM
I really hope the Nets didn't sign Collins just to make news. Looking at the better players available looks like they did.

TorontoHuskies
02-24-2014, 01:33 AM
I'm sure his defensive stats are going to improve after coming out...There's gonna be a lot of air balls with that guy playing d on you.

Rush
02-24-2014, 01:45 AM

Because being Christian or straight is widely accepted. Being gay isn't.

FriedTofuz
02-24-2014, 02:03 AM
I didnt pay much attention to collins either, but when I looked at his stats, his rebound and scoring werent that great.. but I'm guessing he had very good defense or something because he clearly started for a lot of teams/ championship contenders with the nets back in their prime?

Chill_Will_24
02-24-2014, 02:40 AM
Garnett was out and their defense is terrible without him. A lot of angry homophobes up in here I see.

A certain someone hasn't been able to bash Deron Williams for a few days so he is gonna take out his frustrations on Collins.

Anyways solid D from him tonight. He set some really good screens, got a key steal, dived for a loose ball, and had a key tap back late in the game all in like 10 minutes

I am fine with Collins. He does his job. IQ and toughness go a long way in this league

NoahH
02-24-2014, 02:47 AM
You think the NBA is about numbers?

Nope but when your career averages are 3.6 ppg and 3.8 rpg it has to be a bit about numbers

Chill_Will_24
02-24-2014, 02:50 AM

Stick to your Knicks and chill

How many dleaguers or free agents fit what the Nets lack right now? which is a solid defensive backup for KG so that scrubs like Jermaine Oneal don't wreck us. We need a guy that can help on the boards. If you know anything about Collins you would know that his game has never been predicated on his athletic ability or lack there of. He sets great screens, hustle, defends the post, is tough, boxes out for his teammates, and does the dirty work. Exactly what the Nets needed.

I'm glad we missed on Davis and bummed we couldn't sign Hill but given the options I think Collins is a smart signing.

Seriously I usually like you man but I think the frustrations of your Knicks season is making you irrational. All you seem to do these days when you aren't mourning the Knicks is bashing Deron Williams any scrutinizing anything the Nets do

KniCks4LiFe
02-24-2014, 02:56 AM

How many dleaguers or free agents fit what the Nets lack right now? which is a solid defensive backup for KG so that scrubs like Jermaine Oneal don't wreck us. We need a guy that can help on the boards. If you know anything about Collins you would know that his game has never been predicated on his athletic ability or lack there of. He sets great screens, hustle, defends the post, is tough, boxes out for his teammates, and does the dirty work. Exactly what the Nets needed.

I'm glad we missed on Davis and bummed we couldn't sign Hill but given the options I think Collins is a smart signing.

Seriously I usually like you man but I think the frustrations of your Knicks season is making you irrational. All you seem to do these days when you aren't mourning the Knicks is bashing Deron Williams any scrutinizing anything the Nets do

I actually gave Deron props tonight in the NBA game thread. Jason Collins is a scrub. Many people have known this but will go around using intangible references to excuse his lack of productivity on a basketball court that led to a 12 yr. career.

Leave my Knicks out of this. They have no place in this post. This is strictly b-ball.

Chill_Will_24
02-24-2014, 03:03 AM

Yup and Andrei Kirilenko is also a scrub right? I mean his career average is like 10ppg and is averaging like 5ppg this year no?

Some players' entire games are based on doing things that go unnoticed by stats.

The reason "scrubs" like Reggie Evans and Jason Collins and Steve Novak can carve out lengthy careers is because they found a niche. Whether its rebounds or 3s or in Collins case boxing out and post defense, they found a way to contribute in areas that teams need.

Collins has never been an athletic player. He is smart and knows how to play defense intelligently. He is tough and doesn't care about stats, willing to box out and let a teammate grab the board

Chill_Will_24
02-24-2014, 03:07 AM

I actually gave Deron props tonight in the NBA game thread. Jason Collins is a scrub. Many people have known this but will go around using intangible references to excuse his lack of productivity on a basketball court that led to a 12 yr. career.

Leave my Knicks out of this. They have no place in this post. This is strictly b-ball.

How rich. So intangibles hold no place in this discussion for a player that has never been about stats and who has had a long career playing off of nothing but intangibles?

Do you not consider Andrei Kirilenko an impact player?

Tony_Starks
02-24-2014, 03:17 AM
2 rebounds 0 points 5 FOULS in 11 minutes. Hot. Garbage.

John Walls Era
02-24-2014, 03:19 AM
Didn't coaches love him because he was a class act and an intangibles guy? In terms of tangibles he really sucks, but at least they have a big body to use against a team like the Pacers.

Chill_Will_24
02-24-2014, 03:19 AM
Marcus Camby
Ivan Johnson
Earl Clark
Drew Gooden
Nenad Kirstic
Charlie V

-Injury plagued C who is pretty much the only guy on your list who is worth a shot based on nothing but reputation.

-Nets are looking at him but he is not a C and his defense is not that good.

-Again we need a C and while Clark is intriguing, he fills no need with Kirilenko and Mirza here

-Lol really?

-Doesn't fill a need because he can't defend and doesn't provide the toughness we are lacking behind KG which we were trying to get from Jordan Hill but that deal fell apart.

-Another poor player who is a poor defender and fills no need.

Anyone else?

Only Camby out of your suggestions fills a need but I can understand why every team has stayed away. He has a bad attitude and is injury prone to the max these days.

KniCks4LiFe
02-24-2014, 03:20 AM
How rich. So intangibles hold no place in this discussion for a player that has never been about stats and who has had a long career playing off of nothing but intangibles?

Did you just compare AK47's skills to Collins?

there is a difference, AK47 defends every position, he can pass, shoot, defend, ignite and stop a fastbreak. A healthy AK47 is an allstar. Jason Collins is a scrub.

slashsnake
02-24-2014, 03:27 AM
He's a 7 footer. Teams can always use a guy like that deep on their bench. Whether it be for 5 hard paint fouls on an opponent, or a guy who can set a hard screen, or not lose defensive position on the boards.. Whether they are just looking at a guy who can be happy with the role of a practice body unlike some other free agents, or can be happy in a role of not getting the ball ever in the post.

It isn't like they gave him a multiyear contract. There's 7 teams that said "he's a guy who can give me 1.5 points and 2 boards and I still want him" out there in the past 6 years, 6 who did it not knowing he was gay and still wanted him. Why is it now such an outrage that a team would put him on a 10 day contract.

slashsnake
02-24-2014, 03:31 AM

there is a difference, AK47 defends every position, he can pass, shoot, defend, ignite and stop a fastbreak. A healthy AK47 is an allstar. Jason Collins is a scrub.

And that is why Collins is on a 10 day deal and at the bottom of the lineup, only getting minutes cause Garnett needed a night off. And he had the 3rd highest plus/minus in those limited minutes on the team.

Last year he was a guy coming off a 1pt, 1.5 board season who got signed by Boston. And they even let him start some games there. Why is it only now you hate a team signing him?

Chill_Will_24
02-24-2014, 03:36 AM

That is a pretty long career for a scrub, no? Maybe judging basketball players should be left to the people that get paid for it and have decided for years that a player averaging 3pts and 3rebs brings something that you simply cannot comprehend

My comparison is simply about intangibles. Do you not understand that screens, hustle plays, post defense, on court communication, iq, and toughness don't translate to stat sheet?

Do you not understand why Joakim Noah is such a great player and helps his team win even though he is terrible offensively?

Well Collins brings similar things in a much smaller and lesser impact scale i.e he is an ideal 14th man and perfect backup for KG on those days when were have to face guys like Nene who kill is inside.

Moreover KG who sugar coats nothing has had nothing but great things to say about him. Pierce and Kidd two other champions have spoken positively about him from a basketball standpoint and have talked of how he can help.

So excuse me for not taking you seriously because more qualified people than yourself have deemed this guy a serviceable role player for 14 years.

Chill_Will_24
02-24-2014, 03:43 AM

And that is why Collins is on a 10 day deal and at the bottom of the lineup, only getting minutes cause Garnett needed a night off. And he had the 3rd highest plus/minus in those limited minutes on the team.

Last year he was a guy coming off a 1pt, 1.5 board season who got signed by Boston. And they even let him start some games there. Why is it only now you hate a team signing him?

Either he is a raging homophobe or he is simply a butt hurt Knicks fan venting frustrations which is understandable.

Only 2 reasons I can think of.

All the players he named are either scrubs or fill no need for the Nets and instead of addressing the points presented to him about Jason Collins he reverts back to his informative and well thought out "he's a scrub" argument.

Tony_Starks
02-24-2014, 12:35 PM
Sounds like a typical Collins game to me especially since I actually watched the game. I can tell you just looked up the stats which proved your stupidity since that's kinda the point of an intangibles guy that what he does doesn't show up on the box score

One of those rebounds was a key one late in the game. He dived for a loose ball, he defended the post and set some great screens.

Basically he did everything we needed without knowing a single play or none of our schemes having just joined the team tonight.

Hot.Garbage. that show is on the MSG channel and its actually pretty entertaining

I'm a Laker fan and watch every Laker game so try again. Collins did what he has always done, irritate on defense, set screens, and foul a lot. Impressive!

I repeat at damn near 7 ft tall 2 rebounds and 5 fouls is hot garbage any way you slice it. Do you realize he almost fouled out in like 12 minutes? I promise you that you could've took a scrub from the D league that would've done better. But hey if you like him then more power to you my man he's your player not mine.....

jmoney85
02-24-2014, 12:42 PM
I'm a Laker fan and watch every Laker game so try again. Collins did what he has always done, irritate on defense, set screens, and foul a lot. Impressive!

I repeat at damn near 7 ft tall 2 rebounds and 5 fouls is hot garbage any way you slice it. I promise you that you could've took a scrub from the D league that would've done better. But hey if you like him then more power to you my man he's your player not mine.....

do you just choose not to look at the things that collins does or just continue to blindly look at the stats?

I don't know how many times you have to be told in this thread..... COLLINS IS NOT HERE FOR ANY STATISTICAL ... he's here to play solid interior defense at spurts during a game when we need it.. he's not here for anything else

Hangin n Wangin
02-24-2014, 12:42 PM
Gay or not, this guy is garbage.

Clippersfan86
02-24-2014, 12:44 PM
This whole gay thing now seems like a publicity stunt TBH. Terrible player who's gay gets on a team and it's some massive circus. If a gay person wants equality than let's judge him as a player alone and not talking about him being gay FFS! Criticize him as you would a straight person.

hugepatsfan
02-24-2014, 12:46 PM

Charlie V no?
Ivan Johnson

They need a backup 5 to play some interior defense on the nights KG sits. Earl Clark is a combo forward. Villanueva is a stretch 4. Ivan Johnson is an undersized 4. Kristic is an offensive Center with poor post D. All of the players you mentioned are better individual players than Collins, but that's irrelevant because none of them address the need BRK has on their roster.

If you want to say there were better options you should look for guys who actually fill the same role.

ewing
02-24-2014, 12:47 PM
Jared Collins might be the worst player in the NBA. That has nothing to do with me being a prejudiced. I hope Micheal Sam is a good football player. I think it would be a good thing if he was a successful NFL player. Collins on the hand is garbage.

KniCks4LiFe
02-24-2014, 01:06 PM
They need a backup 5 to play some interior defense on the nights KG sits. Earl Clark is a combo forward. Villanueva is a stretch 4. Ivan Johnson is an undersized 4. Kristic is an offensive Center with poor post D. All of the players you mentioned are better individual players than Collins, but that's irrelevant because none of them address the need BRK has on their roster.

If you want to say there were better options you should look for guys who actually fill the same role.

Most teams don't even play true C anymore. Which is another reason I put these player on the list. Better players than him, not at C. Even tho I still think Earl Clark could prolly do what he does. This is a guy that when Brooke Lopez got hurt the Nets never even looked at. All the sudden now there is an incredible need for him? and at a 10 day contract? if he's that needed why didn't they sign him for the year? This isn't even a marginal player.

Tony_Starks
02-24-2014, 01:17 PM

^ such a simple point but it keeps going over everybody's head.....

D-Leethal
02-24-2014, 01:28 PM
"Why would they pick up a 7 foot C who will play D, take charges and do the dirty work as the last guy on the bench when you can pick up a bunch of undersized offensive 4s!!"

They obviously wanted a dirty work C out of this role - not an offensive 4, not a rebounding 4, not a jumpshooting 4/5. He brings what they wanted from the position, defend the post, take charges and do the dirty work. Most teams aren't looking for their 15th man to score the ball or put up pretty stats. On top of that, he is a high character guy who has played with Kidd for half a decade, he's played with Joe Johnson, he's played with KG and Pierce. That kind of stuff matters when your bringing in a new guy mid season.

D-Leethal
02-24-2014, 01:29 PM

lol, seriously.

mightybosstone
02-24-2014, 01:31 PM
I love how everyone seems to be on polar opposite sides of this argument. Either he's trash and this was only a PR move or the Nets added him because he provides veteran intangibles to the team and the Nets' players gel with him. Can't it be both?

This is the NBA, where mediocre teams are worth hundreds of millions of dollars and every single thing you do as a player, coach or front office gets scrutinized like crazy. You don't JUST sign a player as a PR move if you're a team in the playoff hunt like Brooklyn is. The Nets clearly need help in the front court, and if Brooklyn players like the guy and he can bring something to the team, Collins seems like a safe, low risk signing. The Nets were +8 when Collins was on the floor last night, so he must have done SOMETHING right in the game to help them play well during that stretch. You only get five guys on the floor and if one of them is completely useless, you're not going to be +8.

On the flip side, you'd be totally naive to think this doesn't offer some kind of PR advantage to a Brooklyn team that probably could use some positive media attention for a change. He's the first openly gay player in any of the four major professional sports, and there's a good chance that 20-30 years from now, Collins and the Nets will be remembered for encouraging some sliver of social change. There's nothing wrong with wanting to be a part of that, and I certainly don't think the Nets should be scrutinized for it.

What I've come to learn my last 2-3 years posting on the general NBA forum is that 80-90 percent of posters in here only see in black and white. There is no gray area. Kobe and Lebron are either the GOAT or they're total scrubs. The Rockets are either a contender unworthy of criticism or a bunch of floppers who deserve to die by guillotine. Most issues are gray, fellas, and it would be a lot nicer in here if we could all see in gray every once in a while.

Chill_Will_24
02-24-2014, 01:35 PM
Sounds like a typical Collins game to me especially since I actually watched the game. I can tell you just looked up the stats which proved your stupidity since that's kinda the point of an intangibles guy that what he does doesn't show up on the box score

One of those rebounds was a key one late in the game. He dived for a loose ball, he defended the post and set some great screens.

Basically he did everything we needed without knowing a single play or none of our schemes having just joined the team tonight.

Hot.Garbage. that show is on the MSG channel and its actually pretty entertaining

I repeat at damn near 7 ft tall 2 rebounds and 5 fouls is hot garbage any way you slice it. Do you realize he almost fouled out in like 12 minutes? I promise you that you could've took a scrub from the D league that would've done better. But hey if you like him then more power to you my man he's your player not mine.....

Oh you promise huh? How about you throw some names out? I don't disagree that there could be a better player put in that spot. However let me know which one is available.

Camby the walking injury with a bad attitude? who? Bearing in mind what we need is defense and rebounding

He did exactly what we needed from him. Be physical, box out properly, and play defense.

ManRam
02-24-2014, 01:43 PM
2 rebounds 0 points 5 FOULS in 11 minutes. Hot. Garbage.

Posted a very impressive +/- tho :shrug:

He hasn't consistently been rostered over his unspectacular career because of his ability to put up numbers. Why people reference his PPG is beyond me. No team has ever signed him for his scoring ability...and if they had well, then they had already lost.

Yes, he is not a good player. But there's a reason he has lasted so long. He has value outside of the basic box score...and even outside of just playing basketball. For a 10-day contract why NOT sign the veteran who has experience with a lot of the players, with the coach and with the franchise? Why sign a young guy who could be more volatile? Why sign a truer power forward when what they need is a legit 7-footer? It's a temporary thing so you would be dumb not to bring in the guy that can gel right away and the guy you can trust not to struggle to fit in.

Yes, he isn't good, at all. But it still amazes me that people are so confused why this was a good fit for a 10 day contract. He was signed last year...and two separate teams thought he was valuable enough to keep around and even play. No one questioned his roster spot last year...no one ever has questioned it before, even as unspectacular as his numbers were.

If all you have is "he's terrible", but can't explain why he was rostered last year, then you have nothing here.

Why was he signed and used by two teams last season? Why was he offered a contract? Because he has value as a veteran 7 footer.

I'm sorry people are so mad he is rostered. I'm more sorry that you care. I'm less sorry, but still sorry, that you can't understand why guys like him (old veterans) frequently stick around and get gigs. This is NOT out of the ordinary.

And it's the ****ing BROOKLYN NETS! They don't need any extra attention :laugh:

Chill_Will_24
02-24-2014, 01:48 PM

Most teams don't even play true C anymore. Which is another reason I put these player on the list. Better players than him, not at C. Even tho I still think Earl Clark could prolly do what he does. This is a guy that when Brooke Lopez got hurt the Nets never even looked at. All the sudden now there is an incredible need for him? and at a 10 day contract? if he's that needed why didn't they sign him for the year? This isn't even a marginal player.

You are so clueless. The Nets have been hurting defensively behind KG all year. They tried hard for Jordan Hill. No true centers? Hmm Hibbert, Bynum, Oden, Chandler, Drummond, Noah, Jefferson all happen to play for teams we might see in the playoffs and all of whom can and some already have hurt us inside. We need a guy that can body those guys up

In his last season with the Boston Celtics and Washington Wizards, Collins’ opponents averaged 0.64 points per play when he was the primary defender, third-best in the NBA (min. 100 plays), according to ESPN Stats & Information.

http://m.espn.go.com/general/blogs/blogpost?blogname=new-yorkbrooklyn-nets&id=16452&city=newyork&src=desktop

Anyone disapproving this 10 DAY SIGNING FOR THE 14TH SPOT ON THE ROSTER needs to take a step back. He is an intangibles guy so saying he is a useless scrub and using stats to support your opinion is laughable. He has built a 14 year career on being a scrub?

So you are essentially saying you are smarter than the dozen or so GMs that he has played for in 14 years as an NBA player.

Or is your argument that a gay man has to be a star player in order to get signed by a team? Because you keep referencing stats and calling him a scrub even though we are showing why he is a useful backup

Chill_Will_24
02-24-2014, 01:54 PM

Prove it and if you bring some box score stats up in here everyone can just ignore you and/or call you an imbecile. Deal?

Chill_Will_24
02-24-2014, 01:56 PM
This whole gay thing now seems like a publicity stunt TBH. Terrible player who's gay gets on a team and it's some massive circus. If a gay person wants equality than let's judge him as a player alone and not talking about him being gay FFS! Criticize him as you would a straight person.

Again, prove it without box score stats. Many here have already shown and discussed why he is a valuable player .

TheIlladelph16
02-24-2014, 01:56 PM

This is a problem with the fans, not the team or Jason Collins. Have they been doing pressers about how they signed a gay player? I haven't seen one yet.

I already had my comment on this deleted, so I'll try it using more civil terms. People whining and complaining about it being a PR move or publicity stunt are the same ones perpetuating this by having these threads, grasping at straws to complain about nothing. They're drawing attention to it and trying to draw the connection to him being gay and him getting signed. Maybe if people stop ****ing about it, it would just become normal like it should be.

ewing
02-24-2014, 02:04 PM
Just like facts and logic go over yours. I swear you and the rest of the people calling him a scrub don't even read responses. You just spew hot garbage and then sit back and try to think up your next garbage without addressing other's points.

He is a 7 foot 260 pound guy that everyone knows about and who just got signed to a 10 day. If his inability to catch, shoot, finish, run the floor, etc doesn't convince that he is trash then the fact that he is a 7 foot 260 lbs center that no one wanted should.

Chill_Will_24
02-24-2014, 02:08 PM
I love how everyone seems to be on polar opposite sides of this argument. Either he's trash and this was only a PR move or the Nets added him because he provides veteran intangibles to the team and the Nets' players gel with him. Can't it be both?

This is the NBA, where mediocre teams are worth hundreds of millions of dollars and every single thing you do as a player, coach or front office gets scrutinized like crazy. You don't JUST sign a player as a PR move if you're a team in the playoff hunt like Brooklyn is. The Nets clearly need help in the front court, and if Brooklyn players like the guy and he can bring something to the team, Collins seems like a safe, low risk signing. The Nets were +8 when Collins was on the floor last night, so he must have done SOMETHING right in the game to help them play well during that stretch. You only get five guys on the floor and if one of them is completely useless, you're not going to be +8.

On the flip side, you'd be totally naive to think this doesn't offer some kind of PR advantage to a Brooklyn team that probably could use some positive media attention for a change. He's the first openly gay player in any of the four major professional sports, and there's a good chance that 20-30 years from now, Collins and the Nets will be remembered for encouraging some sliver of social change. There's nothing wrong with wanting to be a part of that, and I certainly don't think the Nets should be scrutinized for it.

What I've come to learn my last 2-3 years posting on the general NBA forum is that 80-90 percent of posters in here only see in black and white. There is no gray area. Kobe and Lebron are either the GOAT or they're total scrubs. The Rockets are either a contender unworthy of criticism or a bunch of floppers who deserve to die by guillotine. Most issues are gray, fellas, and it would be a lot nicer in here if we could all see in gray every once in a while.

I agree that the Nets would love the publicity. I have not countered that at all because the Nets are attention hogs. They love making headlines.

However anyone calling this guy a scrub cuz of his stats and saying there were better players needs to 1. Provide said stats that arent box score ones as he is purely an intangibles guy, and 2. Provide a list of players better than him that can provide these things the Nets needed.

He may not be a stat stuffer but Doc Rivers, Kidd, Garnett, Pierce, and Johnson have had nothing but positive things to say about what he brings on the court.

So these people most of them HOFers and/or champs are all wrong?

celtisox41
02-24-2014, 02:13 PM
Who cares? Treating gay people like people will do more than treating them like heroes for being gay. He's a terrible player who got on a team because he's gay, that doesn't help the cause when a lot of people will question whether it was his skills or his orientation that got him another job

Chill_Will_24
02-24-2014, 02:18 PM
Just like facts and logic go over yours. I swear you and the rest of the people calling him a scrub don't even read responses. You just spew hot garbage and then sit back and try to think up your next garbage without addressing other's points.

He is a 7 foot 260 pound guy that everyone knows about and who just got signed to a 10 day. If his inability to catch, shoot, finish, run the floor, etc doesn't convince that he is trash then the fact that he is a 7 foot 260 lbs center that no one wanted should.

Noone wanted him? I'm pretty sure he has built a long career. Pretty good for a non wanted player, no?

Catch, shoot, finish? Sounds like offensive skills on a player NEVER signed for his offensive ability. He is strictly a defensive presence. He brings intangibles. He is the 14th guy on a 10 day contract. Idk what about this is so hard to comprehend.

He hasn't been called this season because he isn't a great player and is old. Only playoff teams would want him and which ones have a need for what he brings.

Doc Rivers just said yesterday that the Clippers might have signed Collins if the Nets didn't get to him first. Do you think Doc freaking Rivers cares about publicity?

Whether you like it or not this guy has value to teams as a veteran bench guy which is what the Nets needed.

D-Leethal
02-24-2014, 02:27 PM
I think he sucks as an NBA player. I think he's sucked his whole career. I think despite sucking, he brings some value to NBA teams and that value has kept him in the league for a long decade + career. I think those things that have kept him in the league are what the Nets saw and wanted. I think despite sucking he will be a solid pickup and fill the role the Nets wanted him to fill.

ewing
02-24-2014, 02:27 PM
Noone wanted him? I'm pretty sure he has built a long career. Pretty good for a non wanted player, no?

Catch, shoot, finish? Sounds like offensive skills on a player NEVER signed for his offensive ability. He is strictly a defensive presence. He brings intangibles. He is the 14th guy on a 10 day contract. Idk what about this is so hard to comprehend.

He hasn't been called this season because he isn't a great player and is old. Only playoff teams would want him and which ones have a need for what he brings.

Doc Rivers just said yesterday that the Clippers might have signed Collins if the Nets didn't get to him first. Do you think Doc freaking Rivers cares about publicity?

Whether you like it or not this guy has value to teams as a veteran bench guy which is what the Nets needed.

Yeah no one wanted him. He is healthy, it is the end of Feb, and he just played his first game of the season. You are talking out of both sides of your mouth. You tell everyone they are wrong for calling him a scrub and then go "well he is a 14th guy on a 10 day with zero offensive capability". I know, he is a ****ing scrub.

Stinkyoutsider
02-24-2014, 02:32 PM
Puzzling move by the Nets I think? Collins is an experienced player who lives on the glass and in the paint defending. Not any offensive potential anymore (35 years old). Most he can do is crash the offensive boards and score on put backs.

If the Nets lacked leadership, this would be a good move. But they already have good and experienced leaders in Pierce and Garnett.

I think Reggie Evans was traded (didn't play much as far as I know) so they signed Collins to a 10 day to either see if he plays well (and keep him for the rest of the season) so sign someone else to help the club after the 10 day is over.

Chill_Will_24
02-24-2014, 02:35 PM

Yeah no one wanted him. He is healthy, it is the end of Feb, and he just played his first game of the season. You are talking out of both sides of your mouth. You tell everyone they are wrong for calling him a scrub and then go "well he is a 14th guy on a 10 day with zero offensive capability". I know, he is a ****ing scrub.

Lol what? lack of offensive ability makes someone a scrub? Do you not realize there are two sides to basketball?

Yea a team with Deron Williams, Joe Johnson, Paul Pierce, Andre Blatche, Marcus Thorton, and Alan Anderson signed Jason Collins as their 14th man for his offense. Lmao gtfoh

Chill_Will_24
02-24-2014, 02:38 PM
Puzzling move by the Nets I think? Collins is an experienced player who lives on the glass and in the paint defending. Not any offensive potential anymore (35 years old). Most he can do is crash the offensive boards and score on put backs.

If the Nets lacked leadership, this would be a good move. But they already have good and experienced leaders in Pierce and Garnett.

I think Reggie Evans was traded (didn't play much as far as I know) so they signed Collins to a 10 day to either see if he plays well (and keep him for the rest of the season) so sign someone else to help the club after the 10 day is over.

Not that puzzling.

They wanted Jordan Hill but couldn't get him. They tried to get a better player in Glen Davis but Davis went elsewhere. So they filled a need with Collins

Jenceman
02-24-2014, 02:39 PM
Who cares? Treating gay people like people will do more than treating them like heroes for being gay. He's a terrible player who got on a team because he's gay, that doesn't help the cause when a lot of people will question whether it was his skills or his orientation that got him another job

How'd he get a roster spot in the previous 13 seasons prior to this one when he was still in the closet?

ewing
02-24-2014, 02:44 PM
Lol what? lack of offensive ability makes someone a scrub? Do you not realize there are two sides to basketball?

Yea a team with Deron Williams, Joe Johnson, Paul Pierce, Andre Blatche, Marcus Thorton, and Alan Anderson signed Jason Collins as their 14th man for his offense. Lmao gtfoh

He makes you play 5 on 4. Yes, he is a scrub b/c of that. There is a big difference b/t not being a scorer and not being a threat to score or make a play in any way. He is also a scrub b/c he can only match well against certain centers. A versatile 5 will destroy him. He also will hurt you in a fast paced game b/c he doesn't switch ends well. He is big and plays solid interior D in the 1/2 court but sucks at every other facet of the game. he is a scrub.

celtisox41
02-24-2014, 02:54 PM
How'd he get a roster spot in the previous 13 seasons prior to this one when he was still in the closet?

He wasn't always a garbage player but he's older now and skills decline. Used to be an ok defender and rebounder, now he's neither

Chill_Will_24
02-24-2014, 02:57 PM

He makes you play 5 on 4. Yes, he is a scrub b/c of that. There is a big difference b/t not being a scorer and not being a threat to score or make a play in any way. He is also a scrub b/c he can only match well against certain centers. A versatile 5 will destroy him. He also will hurt you in a fast paced game b/c he doesn't switch ends well. He is big and plays solid interior D in the 1/2 court but sucks at every other facet of the game. he is a scrub.

They started Reggie Evans all year last year and still made the playoffs and Collins unlike Reggie knows his own limitations and plays with high iq. I think they will be fine with him as their 14th guy

He plays solid half court interior D which is what we need in the playoffs. Perfect 14th guy to back up KG or fill in when KG is resting and our defense is lacking

ewing
02-24-2014, 02:57 PM
I can knock down wide open Js and shoot free throws at 85% clip. I would suck as an NBA player. Collins can defend the low post and does suck as an NBA player. I'll give him credit for getting their (7 foot 260 helps) but in the context of the NBA he sucks.

Chill_Will_24
02-24-2014, 03:01 PM

He wasn't always a garbage player but he's older now and skills decline. Used to be an ok defender and rebounder, now he's neither

Disagree

http://m.espn.go.com/general/blogs/blogpost?blogname=new-yorkbrooklyn-nets&id=16452&city=newyork&src=desktop

He was still a solid defender and role player as late as last year.

ewing
02-24-2014, 03:03 PM
They started Reggie Evans all year last year and still made the playoffs and Collins unlike Reggie knows his own limitations and plays with high iq. I think they will be fine with him as their 14th guy

He plays solid half court interior D which is what we need in the playoffs. Perfect 14th guy to back up KG or fill in when KG is resting and our defense is lacking

I never said this move was going to kill the Nets but i don't think it does anything for them either. are you excited to have Collins? Like his ability to match with Roy makes some difference? Do you think the Nets will win more games b/c they have Jason Collins?

Chill_Will_24
02-24-2014, 03:18 PM
I never said this move was going to kill the Nets but i don't think it does anything for them either. are you excited to have Collins? Like his ability to match with Roy makes some difference? Do you think the Nets will win more games b/c they have Jason Collins?

I would rather have him on Hibbert than Blatche or Plumlee if that is what you are asking.

The Nets wouldnt have needed Collins at all if they had drafted Dieng instead of Plumlee

ewing
02-24-2014, 03:24 PM
[QUOTE=Chill_Will_24;28031101]I would rather have him on Hibbert than Blatche or Plumlee if that is what you are asking.

The Nets wouldnt have needed Collins at all if they had drafted Dieng instead of Plumlee[/QUOTE

Would you rather have him on the floor? Cause i don't think his defense on Roy makes up for playing 4 on 5 offensively and allowing Roy's do nothing but defend the rim when he is on D.

smith&wesson
02-24-2014, 03:41 PM
I really wouldnt have minded if the raptors signed him. We need a back up big man soo friggen bad. I dont even know if there are any better C's that could be signed right now who are available. thats how scarse big C's have become in this league

NYJ - NYY
02-24-2014, 03:44 PM
Who cares? If he plays well he deserves it shouldn't have anything to do with his sexual orientation

Chill_Will_24
02-24-2014, 04:50 PM
[QUOTE=Chill_Will_24;28031101]I would rather have him on Hibbert than Blatche or Plumlee if that is what you are asking.

The Nets wouldnt have needed Collins at all if they had drafted Dieng instead of Plumlee[/QUOTE

Would you rather have him on the floor? Cause i don't think his defense on Roy makes up for playing 4 on 5 offensively and allowing Roy's do nothing but defend the rim when he is on D.

You dont seem to get it. From the C spot he isnt a liability anymore than Omer Asik is. Collins has never in his career been an offensive player. Look back at his prime. It wasnt pretty.

In the playoffs Garnett will play most of the C minutes but when he rests we cant have guys off the bench go wild on us in the paint just cuz KG is out. If Blatche was even a decent defender then this signing would not have happened.

ewing
02-24-2014, 05:29 PM
[QUOTE=ewing;28031125]

You dont seem to get it. From the C spot he isnt a liability anymore than Omer Asik is. Collins has never in his career been an offensive player. Look back at his prime. It wasnt pretty.

In the playoffs Garnett will play most of the C minutes but when he rests we cant have guys off the bench go wild on us in the paint just cuz KG is out. If Blatche was even a decent defender then this signing would not have happened.

But he is significantly more of a liability then Asik. In fact Asik is not a liability at all unless you pair him with D12. Unlike Collins, Asik is not only a post defender. He does a lot more things then Collins and the things they both do Asik does better: Asik is

an excellent screen roll defender out on the floor.
an elite rebounder.
a decent shot blocker.
a better rim protector.
a better post defender

He also has softer hands and finishes a little. Collins at 35 is no more a liability then a guy that is twice as fast, a better defender, just last year averaged 12 and 12?!?! In his prime Collins sucked. Do you look back fondly on Collins and mccullough holding down the center spot? Unless, you thought having Collins as your starting center was great- saying look he has always been terrible the ball is not a defense for his being terrible with the ball or being good at only one thing

Jenceman
02-24-2014, 06:02 PM

He's still an ok defender. Either way it's a 10-day contract

TheMightyHumph
02-24-2014, 06:10 PM
[QUOTE=Chill_Will_24;28031662]Do you look back fondly on Collins and mccullough holding down the center spot? Unless, you thought having Collins as your starting center was great- saying look he has always been terrible the ball is not a defense for his being terrible with the ball or being good at only one thing

Net fans should look back fondly at Collins holding down the Center spot. Two Finals appearances, 3 2nd rd appearances, never missing the playoffs in a season he finished as a Net.

ManRam
02-24-2014, 07:00 PM
Drew Gooden is about to be signed.

Drew Gooden is awful.

These signings happen.

Let's move along.

ewing
02-24-2014, 07:23 PM
[QUOTE=ewing;28031911]

Net fans should look back fondly at Collins holding down the Center spot. Two Finals appearances, 3 2nd rd appearances, never missing the playoffs in a season he finished as a Net.

Do you credit Bill Wennington with the Bulls success too? Look Collins just isn't a good player.

TheMightyHumph
02-24-2014, 07:33 PM
[QUOTE=TheMightyHumph;28032146]

Do you credit Bill Wennington with the Bulls success too? Look Collins just isn't a good player.

Wennington was Bulls starting Center?

Tony_Starks
02-24-2014, 07:55 PM
Drew Gooden is about to be signed.

Drew Gooden is awful.

These signings happen.

Let's move along.

Lol! Drew Gooden is not good but even putting him in the same category as Collins is a insult. Gooden can defend the 4-5 just as well and unlike Collins can also catch, post, shoot, and finish so he's not a offensive liability.

Gooden is like a average veteran Center and he's 5 and 5 on his worst day in limited minutes. Get outta here.....

TheMightyHumph
02-24-2014, 07:59 PM
Lol! Drew Gooden is not good but even putting him in the same category as Collins is a insult. Gooden can defend the 4-5 just as well and unlike Collins can also catch, post, shoot, and finish so he's not a offensive liability.

Gooden is like a average veteran Center and he's 5 and 5 on his worst day in limited minutes. Get outta here.....

Gooden can defend?