PDA

View Full Version : NBA First: MCW leads all rookies in points, assists, steals AND rebounds!

JasonJohnHorn
02-22-2014, 03:05 PM
Assuming the season continues as is has been going, Michael Carter-Williams will be the fist player to ever lead all rookies in points, assists, steal and rebounds per game.

Does this speak to his potential greatest? Or the weakness of this year's draft.

Had Nerlens not been injured all season, I'm sure he would have come away with the rebounding crown for rookies, but still... even if this is a weak draft, it is impressive for a guy to pull this of.

And he's in the top ten for blocks too! Currently 6th.

MagicBucsSox
02-22-2014, 03:15 PM
Not impressed, well let me say if he wins ROY he earned it it wasn't given. But he's the only rookie that's been given the keys to a franchise.

MagicBucsSox
02-22-2014, 03:16 PM
I just hope they don't get stupid and move him to SG years to come

ManRam
02-22-2014, 03:21 PM
I like MCW, but this is more a testament to him logging huge minutes and huge volume on a terrible team, as well as the fact that it is a weak class more than anything else. I think he has a long career in this league. I've always liked him more than Burke, but he is FAR from having a historic season for a rookie and I don't think what he's done this year speaks to his potential greatness. He's just the only rookie in a situation to put up huge numbers right now.

mdm692
02-22-2014, 03:23 PM
I think it's a bit of both. I'll even add a third factor, the weakness of the east.

kozelkid
02-22-2014, 03:36 PM
I like MCW, but this is more a testament to him logging huge minutes and huge volume on a terrible team, as well as the fact that it is a weak class more than anything else. I think he has a long career in this league. I've always liked him more than Burke, but he is FAR from having a historic season for a rookie and I don't think what he's done this year speaks to his potential greatness. He's just the only rookie in a situation to put up huge numbers right now.

This.

I get the excitement for the kid, but since his breakout in the beginning of the season, he hasn't been able to sustain such a play. I think he'll be a good player, but he's hardly a franchise player from what I've seen (a little similar to Jrue in that regard).

b@llhog24
02-22-2014, 03:44 PM
That's kinda sad tbh.

2-ONE-5
02-22-2014, 04:50 PM
at the very least its a combo of all things but trust me this kid is for real. Sure with Noel on the floor he wouldnt be the leader in boards but if you watch the kid play every night its easy to see hes something special. he impacts the game in so many ways and has gone to toe with the best and has succeeded more often than not. he might not be the #1 guy of a title team but he certainly can be the #2 and has the ability to be the man for periods of time when needed. fully trust Brett Brown and Co. to continue to develop him

-Kobe24-TJ19-
02-22-2014, 06:02 PM
stat padding on a terrible team

JEDean89
02-22-2014, 06:04 PM
he definitely is talented, he puts up statlines that make you do a triple take. look at some of these games

10/30: 22 pts 12 ast 7 reb 9 stls 1 TO 1PF against the Heat, his first game as a pro ever and he flirts with a quad double.
11/9: 21/13/7/2sts/2blks
11/22: 12/11/8/5

he is a rare quadruple double threat, capable of scoring and clearly can lead a team (as he did before the 76ers either shut down or traded anyone that could help them win). he is gonna be an allstar one day, maybe even a Jason Kidd quality player. his leading the rookies in all categories is definitely the class as he only averages 5.3 but the rest he deserves and him, Giannis and Dipo made this draft a lot better than people thought.

sunsfan88
02-22-2014, 06:04 PM

this.

2-ONE-5
02-22-2014, 06:26 PM

no its not, not even close actually. tell me did he pad his stats with that near quad double against the heat or that triple dub vs the magic?

ManRam
02-22-2014, 06:30 PM

define stat padding, please

greg_ory_2005
02-22-2014, 06:32 PM
All the rookies pretty much suck except him. And Oladipo.

SMH!
02-22-2014, 06:42 PM

lol

sunsfan88
02-22-2014, 06:46 PM

Putting up numbers in blowouts when the team has already lost. Granted that MCW has put up great numbers in wins and close losses as well but I think a lot of it has also come when the game was already out of hand.

He's definitely gonna be an All Star caliber player though and could develop into a #2 or #3 option on a contender.

MagicBucsSox
02-22-2014, 06:55 PM

Burke is doing well too

Lake_Show2416
02-22-2014, 06:55 PM
MCW does benefit from being a ball handler on a team that doesnt have too much talent so that helps pad the stats but for a rookie to lead his class in those 4 stat categories is impression

-Kobe24-TJ19-
02-22-2014, 06:58 PM

His game hasnt produced wins. Remember Reke's first season?

Shlumpledink
02-22-2014, 07:00 PM
When you play a lot of minutes on a terrible team, you tend to build up a lot of counting stats. Couple that with the meager, as of this first season, draft class it looks really good. A lot of the guys from the draft could have very productive careers, but a lot of these guys are projects.

NoahH
02-22-2014, 07:35 PM
(1) Weakness of the East (2) Weakness of the draft class (3) He's the #1 player on the 76ers right now lol

MCW's advanced stats are quite mediocre.

2-ONE-5
02-22-2014, 07:45 PM
Putting up numbers in blowouts when the team has already lost. Granted that MCW has put up great numbers in wins and close losses as well but I think a lot of it has also come when the game was already out of hand.

He's definitely gonna be an All Star caliber player though and could develop into a #2 or #3 option on a contender.

i can assure you he isnt stat padding while getting blown out 9 times out of 10

2-ONE-5
02-22-2014, 07:45 PM

lol dude do you not know who he plays with?

Chronz
02-22-2014, 08:29 PM
But has he been the most productive rookie?

JasonJohnHorn
02-22-2014, 08:43 PM
But has he been the most productive rookie?

Good question. Looking at the averages, one might have to say yes, with Oladipa the clear second place player, but there is more to the game than averages.

But that said.... I just don't see anybody else in this year's draft who is currently playing at a high level. None of the rookies are posting impressive shooting percentages except Plumblee. And a lot of these players aren't even getting big minutes are teams that are doing poorly. If you struggle to get minutes on cellar dwellers....

You got somebody in mind Chronz? I'm curious to hear your thoughts. MCW's FG% is what bothers me the most, and then his turnovers.

ManRam
02-22-2014, 08:44 PM

Have you looked at his teammates? :laugh:

Hell, they probably overachieved like CRAZY for much of the earlier parts of the season.

What do you want him to do instead? Not put up numbers in blowouts...like, stop trying? I don't get it. His team sucks, of course a lot of it is gonna happen in blowouts.

He gets a lot more volume than any of the other rookies, and a lot of that does inflate his stats...but he's not padding them. He's just out there doing what he can on a terrible team :shrug:

The notion that players putting up big stats on bad teams are merely and always "padding" their stats is something I don't get.

KnicksorBust
02-22-2014, 09:02 PM
Stevie Franchise would be proud.

Still like Victor Oladipo more...

Sadds The Gr8
02-22-2014, 09:14 PM

2nd dumbest/most overused word in basketball, only behind "chucker"

DreamShaker
02-22-2014, 10:48 PM
Looked at his shootings stats

39.8% shooting
28% 3 point shooting
.479 TS
.428 EFG

And I know the season is not over, but he has negative offensive win shares currently. Ouch.

DreamShaker
02-22-2014, 10:56 PM
Stevie Franchise would be proud.

Still like Victor Oladipo more...

Stevie had a much better rookie year by every measure of stats. Had to defend my dude!

sunsfan88
02-23-2014, 04:35 AM
What do you want him to do instead? Not put up numbers in blowouts...like, stop trying? I don't get it. His team sucks, of course a lot of it is gonna happen in blowouts.

He gets a lot more volume than any of the other rookies, and a lot of that does inflate his stats...but he's not padding them. He's just out there doing what he can on a terrible team :shrug:

The notion that players putting up big stats on bad teams are merely and always "padding" their stats is something I don't get.
Your assuming that I said MCW sucks or should die or something.

Its great that he tries hard even after the game is out of hand and that he doesn't give up. I'm sure his parents are really proud.

But trying hard and putting up great numbers in losses isn't as impressive as putting up good numbers on winning teams. I'm not saying that I expect MCW to lay down and not try cause the 76ers suck, I'm just saying that with context, his play isn't that impressive.

slashsnake
02-23-2014, 05:06 AM
He is having an exceptional rookie year. Honestly, those numbers are pretty close to Lebron his rookie year. A few less points, better steals and assists. Even shooting percentage is close (Lebron really picked it up his 2nd year). Now granted he has had an extra year in college and I think that makes a pretty big differences for rookies (KG, Kobe, Tmac, etc), but that is impressive. And Cleveland wasnít in a lot of games either early on.

And I am not sure why someone would bring up that heís getting his numbers in his losses. 16.5 points, 7.5 boards, 7 assists, and 2.5 steals in his winsÖ Thatís very impressive. Thatís like Magic Johnson rookie numbers there without the great teammates helping out.

SeoulBeatz
02-23-2014, 07:12 AM
It's a combination of being on a weak team and a weak draft class IMO.

But to discount MCW's play this season as some fluke because of minutes would be irresponsible.

He's a specimen at 6'6" and he really utilizes that length (Currently 4th in the NBA in steals per game) and is a sound defender for a rookie (though he'll need to improve his reading of defenses and p&r situations).

My main gripe with him would be his shooting and turnovers. He makes a LOT of dumb mistakes and too often settles for 3 pointers when he should be taking advantage of his height every play. He'll never be a great shooter but his shot ain't broke.

But let me reiterate, he's a rookie, and even with his struggles he's showing that he could be a very good all-around player in the near future. He'll cut down the turnovers eventually and his shot shows enough promise that I don't think it'll be an issue in a couple years.

I'm not sure if he'll ever make an allstar team, but a 6'6" PG who has a high bball IQ, can pass really well (potentially at an elite level), is a good defender, a good rebounder, and hustles every play, is definitely an asset and I can't wait to see how he corrects his mistakes with further experience.

eugene
02-23-2014, 08:36 AM
I'm skeptical about any player not able to shoot even at 40FG% rate...

effen5
02-23-2014, 08:46 AM
Not sure if this should be impressive or just shows you the lack of young talent in the league.

Swashcuff
02-23-2014, 09:04 AM

What IDIOTIC about this statement is the fact that most if not all ROY winners are on terrible teams. Why hasn't this done before?

Swashcuff
02-23-2014, 09:06 AM
Your assuming that I said MCW sucks or should die or something.

Its great that he tries hard even after the game is out of hand and that he doesn't give up. I'm sure his parents are really proud.

But trying hard and putting up great numbers in losses isn't as impressive as putting up good numbers on winning teams. I'm not saying that I expect MCW to lay down and not try cause the 76ers suck, I'm just saying that with context, his play isn't that impressive.

Dude EVERY SINGLE thread that has anything to do with the 76ers or their players you're in there saying something ignorant. What on earth is your beef with the team? You seem butt hurt for some reason and you have absolutely no reason to be.

Swashcuff
02-23-2014, 09:26 AM

Remember Durant's first season? How about KLove's? They didn't "produce wins". Your "point" makes no sense especially considering the fact that Reke's team won more games than Rookie Durant's and 3rd year Love's.

This is a TEAM game. Without MCW's play we wouldn't have 10 wins on the season. With MCW this season we are 14-30 (at one point we were 10-9 with him) without MCW we are 1-11. The idea that he his game isn't helping us win is absolutely idiotic.

Saying MCW hasn't helped us win is like saying Kobe is an inefficient scorer. Its believed by those who don't know what they are talking about and its just wrong.

xabial
02-23-2014, 09:37 AM
He's a virtual lock to win it, but watch out for my boy Tim Hardaway Jr. If the Knicks make the playoffs with a much better record than Philly, I see him as a dark horse for the award.

2-ONE-5
02-23-2014, 10:00 AM
Looked at his shootings stats

39.8% shooting
28% 3 point shooting
.479 TS
.428 EFG

And I know the season is not over, but he has negative offensive win shares currently. Ouch.

win shares is a BS stat and even more so when the has the 2nd worst record in the league

2-ONE-5
02-23-2014, 10:01 AM
He's a virtual lock to win it, but watch out for my boy Tim Hardaway Jr. If the Knicks make the playoffs with a much better record than Philly, I see him as a dark horse for the award.

playoffs have nothing to with ROY its not like the MVP and Hardaway isnt close to MCW, Oladipo or Burke

Chrisclover
02-23-2014, 10:40 AM
I was so excited when i saw he defeated the Heat with a triple -double performance in his NBA debut. This guy no doubt is a rising star.

Chrisclover
02-23-2014, 10:44 AM
I just hope they don't get stupid and move him to SG years to come
His size is a considerable advantage for him. So if the FO of 76ers is wise enough, MCW should stick to PG position so that he can outsize others just like now.

NYJ - NYY
02-23-2014, 12:17 PM

Burke is doing well too

Thjr is looking nice as well

Phenomenonsense
02-23-2014, 01:01 PM

You make the entire Suns fanbase look stupid.

SMH!
02-23-2014, 02:21 PM
You make the entire Suns fanbase look stupid.
:laugh2:

2-ONE-5
02-23-2014, 02:36 PM
the stat padding on a bad team when talking about ROY is comical. Just look at the past winners:

Pau Gasol-23 wins
James- 35
Okafor- 18
Paul- 26
Roy- 32
Durant- 20
Evans- 25
Griffin- 32
Irving- 21
Lillard- 33

The only ones that made the playoffs were Amare and Rose

yaswaggin
02-23-2014, 03:30 PM
He forces a lot of 3 point shots

He has good form, hopefully during the off-season he becomes a better 3 point shooter

it's rare to see a nba player turn into a 3 point threat after being in the league though

Tony Parker did it, kidd did it, vince carter did it, etc but those are exceptions

We could have a MCW/Wiggins/Parker/Thad/Noel lineup by next year though along with some 2nd round picks in a deep draft that could turn into some very good role players

2-ONE-5
02-23-2014, 04:12 PM
there is no expectation of him to turn into a 3pt shooter. once better players are put around him he will thrive even more.

Vinny642
02-23-2014, 07:55 PM
Stat padding is so overused in the NBA forum... playing the game on a terrible team isnt "stat padding"

Im glad he is doing good and all but this draft class was really weak.

Vinny642
02-23-2014, 07:57 PM
He forces a lot of 3 point shots

He has good form, hopefully during the off-season he becomes a better 3 point shooter

it's rare to see a nba player turn into a 3 point threat after being in the league though

Tony Parker did it, kidd did it, vince carter did it, etc but those are exceptions

We could have a MCW/Wiggins/Parker/Thad/Noel lineup by next year though along with some 2nd round picks in a deep draft that could turn into some very good role players

Yeah... um no....

SeoulBeatz
02-23-2014, 10:24 PM
Stat padding is so overused in the NBA forum... playing the game on a terrible team isnt "stat padding"

Im glad he is doing good and all but this draft class was really weak.

Yep and considering the Sixers have only one 1 game without MCW in the lineup, you can understand how truly awful his supporting cast has been.

slashsnake
02-23-2014, 11:48 PM
I'm skeptical about any player not able to shoot even at 40FG% rate...

Ill give him a pass for now and see if it jumps his 2nd year, which happens quite a bit. Lebron was below 40% going into February his rookie year.

Not a bad list for the point guards lately who shot under 40% their rookie years scoring at least 10 a game.

Brandon Jennings, Russell Westbrook, Jason Williams, Chauncey Billups, Jason Kidd, Nick Van Exel...

tredigs
02-24-2014, 12:23 AM
MCW and "greatness" cannot be used in the same sentence, I'm afraid.

He's an odd one though; it's interesting to see a player with so many holes/weaknesses at the same time be so well rounded. He's never been able to shoot at any level though, and ultimately that will be why he won't truly succeed in the league as an AS level talent.

SMH!
02-24-2014, 12:55 AM
Yeah... um no....

lmao im sure he meant either one not both, that would be crazy lol

JNA17
02-24-2014, 01:28 AM
Stat padding and the fact that most rookies are crap this year. Not impressed really.

slashsnake
02-24-2014, 02:55 AM
I am not sure where the stat padding comes from. Especially when you see his best games are either wins, or close losses. His assists go from 10 per game in close losses to 4 in blowouts, his rebounds fall from 6 to 4. His points drop from 20 to 14. His blocks, steals, turnovers, shooting% and minutes all get worse in the blowouts. Everything says if his team was performing at a higher level, so would he be.

And regardless of his peers as rookies, his numbers are impressive.

Figure only Magic has ever averaged 17 points 5 boards, 6 assists, and 2 steals as a rookie and MCW is on pace to do just that.

On pace to join Magic as the only rookie to ever average 17points, 5 boards and 6 in a rookie year.

He may not be a superstar, but I wouldn't use this year as a negative for his game outside of his shooting, where we've seen piles of great players really step up after their rookie seasons

2-ONE-5
02-24-2014, 11:06 AM
Rondo still cant shoot and helped lead a team to a title. Also assuming this rebuild goes according to plan we dont need MCW to be some great shooter he just will have to hit the open shots like how Rondo has become able to do. He can get to the rim almost at will and as he develops he will start to finish better/stronger and also should start getting some calls down line bcuz the kid gets killed a lot and rarely gets calls.

kingsdelez24
02-24-2014, 11:14 AM

Please don't remind me *facepalm*

tredigs
02-24-2014, 11:50 AM
Rondo still cant shoot and helped lead a team to a title. Also assuming this rebuild goes according to plan we dont need MCW to be some great shooter he just will have to hit the open shots like how Rondo has become able to do. He can get to the rim almost at will and as he develops he will start to finish better/stronger and also should start getting some calls down line bcuz the kid gets killed a lot and rarely gets calls.
Well, Rondo wasn't doing much leading en route to a title. Probably zero leading, actually. He was a young kid and a small cog on an amazing defense led by 3 prime HOFers.

But even at that time (younger than MCW is now) he could finish at the rim and we saw that he had amazing playmaking ability (just less assists in part due to all the usage the Big 3 took from him).

I just don't think MCW has Rondo's level in him, personally. More than up for being wrong here though.

KnickaBocka.44
02-24-2014, 12:03 PM
Not impressed...his assist/TO ratio is awful and he is majorly inefficient.