PDA

View Full Version : ELI5: Why did the Hawks give up a draft pick to take on Jamison and then buy him out?

JasonJohnHorn
02-22-2014, 02:18 PM
This one I don't get. The trade made sense to me if the Hawks were hoping to add depth to their front court rotation since Horford went down, but giving up a draft pick just to buy a player out?

I get that the Clippers were looking to avoid luxury tax. That makes sense. And I understand that the Clippers gave them money in the deal, which likely covered a large portion of the buy out, but I assume it didn't cover the entire buy out. AND the Hawks gave up the draft rights to a pick from a few years ago.

I understand the pick will likely never step foot on an NBA court, and Clips were avoiding lux-tax, I'm just not sure why the Hawks got involved?

Did the Clippers give them more money than the buyout cost? Allowing them to avoid the luxury tax, and allowing the Hawks to make a profit on the deal? Do teams have to send something back other than a 'future consideration' or an option to swap second round picks?

Anybody got the details on this? Were the Clippers just paying the Hawks to buy out Jamison for them?

Vinylman
02-22-2014, 02:37 PM
they haven't bought him out... they waived him...

they also got the draft rights to Cenk Akyol

Jamison was only making $1.4 million... it's not a big deal

JasonJohnHorn
02-22-2014, 03:01 PM
they haven't bought him out... they waived him...

they also got the draft rights to Cenk Akyol

Jamison was only making $1.4 million... it's not a big deal

The Hawks GAVE up the draft rights to Akyol. This is what doesn't make sense?

I know 1.4 mil isn't a big deal in most contexts, but for a relatively small marker, it makes no sense to take on a player to buy him out. That would be flushing several hundred thousand down the toilet as a favour. Why would ANY team take a hit for a few hundred grand for another team unless they got something in return for that?

Vinylman
02-22-2014, 03:12 PM

I know 1.4 mil isn't a big deal in most contexts, but for a relatively small marker, it makes no sense to take on a player to buy him out. That would be flushing several hundred thousand down the toilet as a favour. Why would ANY team take a hit for a few hundred grand for another team unless they got something in return for that?

whoops ... my mistake... i thought they got the rights...

yeah... it doesn't make a lot of sense.

sunsfan88
02-22-2014, 04:57 PM
The Hawks need to free Horford. He deserves to be playing on a good team at his true position as a PF.

bleedprple&gold
02-22-2014, 05:06 PM

Here's what this article says:

Jamison will become a free agent assuming he isn't picked up on waivers, and will be able to sign with any veteran contender that wants him. Jamison appeared in just 22 games for the Clippers this season averaging 3.8 points and 2.5 rebounds in eleven minutes per game for LA. The Hawks got cash in the deal while trading the rights of 2005 draft pick Cenk Akyol, who you may remember from absolutely nothing, in the deal. Basically, the Hawks used their cap space to do the Clippers a favor and make a little money on the side. http://www.cbssports.com/nba/eye-on-basketball/24451467/hawks-waive-antawn-jamison

I guess the Clippers must have given them additional money probably on top of paying off the rest of Jamison's salary for them, which was probably an amount less than the luxury tax they would have paid for keeping him. But you're right it seemed like little benefit for the Hawks. Are the Clippers and Hawks Gms friends or something?

slaker619
02-22-2014, 05:13 PM
It does make no sense at all

ryder78c
02-22-2014, 05:25 PM
maybe they wanna sign big baby

LanceUpperCut
02-22-2014, 05:55 PM
I'm sure they gave them more money then the buy out was worth so they pretty much sold the draft rights to the Clippers.

Cracka2HI!
02-22-2014, 06:21 PM
I wondered this when it happened. The 76ers did us a favor taking Mullens off our hands as well!

NoahH
02-22-2014, 07:32 PM
It's a give and take. Hawks do the Clippers a favor now and the Clippers will do the Hawks a favor in the future.

Cenk Akyol will apparently never come ever here anyways

Cracka2HI!
02-22-2014, 07:50 PM
It's a give and take. Hawks do the Clippers a favor now and the Clippers will do the Hawks a favor in the future.

Cenk Akyol will apparently never come ever here anyways
Yea he's a bench player in Turkey.

xabial
02-23-2014, 09:42 AM
I don't know but Danny Ferry's done a good job in ATL. He would've been a much better GM than Chris Grant had the Cavs retained him.