PDA

View Full Version : Does Blake Griffin Deserve MVP consideration?

JasonJohnHorn
02-22-2014, 12:56 AM
Chris Paul went down and was out for several weeks. Without a strong point guard to step in, Griffin took the leadership role. His assists went up, his scoring went up, and he really seemed to do an amazing job carrying the burden and keep the team near the top of the division.

I LOVE Chris Paul and the last two seasons would have voted for him for MVP, but this year, I think Griffin should really be put in the conversation.

I'm on the Durant bandwagon. That dude is a clear cut MVP at this point, but I think both Griffin and CP3 deserve to be in the top five for voting this year (my other two spots would go to LBJ and likely LMA).

Baller1
02-22-2014, 12:59 AM
No, not seriously considered.

FlashBolt
02-22-2014, 01:03 AM
No, not seriously considered.

And there goes your credibility.

mdm692
02-22-2014, 01:08 AM
He does deserve consideration just like PG, Curry and even Dragic but this is a 2 man race between LBJ and KD. IMO he would need to have a historically good 2nd half of the season just to get NEAR the other 2.

Sadds The Gr8
02-22-2014, 01:10 AM
yes

lol

Hawkeye15
02-22-2014, 01:13 AM
Sure, along with a handful of other players who have no chance at it.

Slug3
02-22-2014, 01:13 AM
He will get some 3rd place and up votes. But at this moment it's between KD and Lebron with KD still having the edge.

WARRIORS@GR
02-22-2014, 01:19 AM
Cp3 and Aldridge do NOT deserve to be top 5.Cp3 has missed so much time,and has slowed down a bit after the great start.LMA is not even a top 3 PF this season,and his team is regressing and dropping in the standings.Blake will probably be top 3,if the Clippers get 2nd-3rd seed.Curry also has a chance for top 3 if the Warriors somehow get HCA.

EAGLES3658
02-22-2014, 01:31 AM
No.

c.c.
02-22-2014, 01:35 AM
Nope

JEDean89
02-22-2014, 01:40 AM
Consideration? Yes, he is a top 10 player and they are all considered but no he will not win. KD and Lebron are on a totally different planet than the rest of the NBA. Davis, Cousins, Paul, Melo, George, Curry, Harden, Dwight, Love and some others are on that 2nd tier. Everyone has been impressed with Blakes rampage this month but until he can do this for a season he isn't MVP. 34, 11 and 4 with his shooting numbers (his february stat line) should be enough to win MVP, so who knows, if he can keep this up or even keep it up 90% he, davis and love will have the PF position back on top.

Clippersfan86
02-22-2014, 01:46 AM
Delete.

slashsnake
02-22-2014, 01:59 AM
It depends what you define "consideration" as. He's gained a midrange shot which he didn't have his rookie year, and has been better from the line. But should he be in consideration to win the award over Lebron or Durant? I just don't think he should. Consideration as a top 3 candidate? Sure, but that isn't the same as consideration to win the award.

ManRam
02-22-2014, 12:08 PM
I mean, there are two players that truly deserve consideration. If you think the group of guys after those two have "MVP considerations", then sure. But let's be real, it's KD's right now with only LeBron capable of taking it from him.

FlashBolt
02-22-2014, 12:10 PM
But OP put "top 5" which Blake is. He's definitely top 5.

KnicksorBust
02-22-2014, 12:52 PM
The OP already said Durant is MVP. The thread title is massively misleading. If it said "Does Blake Griffin deserve to be All-NBA 1st team?" This thread would be completely different.

FlashBolt
02-22-2014, 01:00 PM
The OP already said Durant is MVP. The thread title is massively misleading. If it said "Does Blake Griffin deserve to be All-NBA 1st team?" This thread would be completely different.

Consideration means thought. So you're saying Blake doesn't even deserve to get a mention?

koreancabbage
02-22-2014, 02:12 PM
Consideration means thought. So you're saying Blake doesn't even deserve to get a mention?

i don't think he'll get any 1st or 2nd place votes if thats what your asking.

JasonJohnHorn
02-22-2014, 02:23 PM

All-NBA first team? There are two forward spots: LBJ and Durant. Blake won't be on the first team.

As I said, I don't have him as my MVP, but he's likely my third pick with now.... CP3 and LMA were high on my list early in the season, but now, with KD playing at this insanely high level, and LBJ posting MVP numbers himself, it seems like Blake is the next guy in the conversation.

As to the 'consideration'. Voters are asked to list their top five choices in order. When they put a guys name on the top five, he is in consideration for the MVP. Do you think Blake deserves to be on voter's top five?

MetroMan
02-22-2014, 02:27 PM
Griffin is doing in his 4th year what he was suppose to do in his second. plus KD and Lebron are light years ahead. The end.

Baller1
02-22-2014, 09:01 PM

Oh yeah? Do all these people lose their credibility too?

He will get some 3rd place and up votes. But at this moment it's between KD and Lebron with KD still having the edge.

No.

Nope

I mean, there are two players that truly deserve consideration. If you think the group of guys after those two have "MVP considerations", then sure. But let's be real, it's KD's right now with only LeBron capable of taking it from him.

i don't think he'll get any 1st or 2nd place votes if thats what your asking.

Griffin is doing in his 4th year what he was suppose to do in his second. plus KD and Lebron are light years ahead. The end.

KnicksorBust
02-22-2014, 09:04 PM

All-NBA first team? There are two forward spots: LBJ and Durant. Blake won't be on the first team.

As I said, I don't have him as my MVP, but he's likely my third pick with now.... CP3 and LMA were high on my list early in the season, but now, with KD playing at this insanely high level, and LBJ posting MVP numbers himself, it seems like Blake is the next guy in the conversation.

As to the 'consideration'. Voters are asked to list their top five choices in order. When they put a guys name on the top five, he is in consideration for the MVP. Do you think Blake deserves to be on voter's top five?

Ha. Actually you have me there. He is cockblocked again. Either way I am with the whole Blake is a superstar crowd but the title hurts that discussion.

b@llhog24
02-22-2014, 09:25 PM
Sure, along with a handful of other players who have no chance at it.

Yep.

mngopher35
02-22-2014, 10:08 PM
The winner will be KD or Lebron. Griffin probably has the best argument after that imo. He doesn't really have a chance to win as others have said.

IKnowHoops
02-23-2014, 02:46 AM
He deserves it, but he won't get it. But if you started the season now, it would be totally up in the air as to who will have better stats between Blake, Bron, and Durant.

Clippersfan86
02-23-2014, 03:55 AM
Hoops very true. Blake the last 40 games or so HAS been just as good as Lebron or Durant. The problem is the first 20 games or w/e when he was down and inconsistent.

Clippersfan86
02-23-2014, 03:58 AM
Btw Metro man that was a very stupid post, don't care if that offends quite frankly. You aren't an expert on player development so to say what a player should accomplish by what season... is for a lack of a better word stupid. That was the lockout summer, it's perfectly understandable that development would be affected.

Swashcuff
02-23-2014, 09:36 AM
Hoops very true. Blake the last 40 games or so HAS been just as good as Lebron or Durant. The problem is the first 20 games or w/e when he was down and inconsistent.

Blake has been great no doubt (25.7, 9.5 and 3.7 on a TS% of greater than 60%) but KD has been otherworldly. I can't agree that he has been as good as KD this season his last 40 games.

Btw Metro man that was a very stupid post, don't care if that offends quite frankly. You aren't an expert on player development so to say what a player should accomplish by what season... is for a lack of a better word stupid. That was the lockout summer, it's perfectly understandable that development would be affected.

Not just Blake's development though but the overall make up of the team and the coaching. Blake has grown in different facets of his game with every season he's been in the league. This year he's just putting them all together while steadily making improvements.

JasonJohnHorn
02-23-2014, 09:39 AM

By his second year, do you mean his rookie year? Because he was injured his entire first season. Or do you mean his third year, which was his second year?

And what does it matter. If you think Durant should have been playing at his current level two years ago, does that mean that playing at the level now counts for nothing because it didn't happen soon enough for your liking?

Different players develop at different rates depending on their talent, body, coaching and minutes. Blake is either the best or second best power forward in the game at 24 years of age. That is impressive.

JasonJohnHorn
02-23-2014, 09:42 AM
Ha. Actually you have me there. He is cockblocked again. Either way I am with the whole Blake is a superstar crowd but the title hurts that discussion.

Well... I certainly didn't mean to suggest that he would be ahead of LBJ and KD, just that he'd be on most people's ballots. 'Consideration', for me, is about thinking who is at the top game and helping their teams out the most, and the deciding who you think it best. I think when putting that list together, KD is the first guy you are going to think of this year, and then LBJ. After that I think Griffin should be the first guy right now, though LMA and CP3 were for the first part of the season. I'm not sure who I'd have after Griffin now.

iliketurtles24
02-23-2014, 09:45 AM
Consideration? Yes, he is a top 10 player and they are all considered but no he will not win. KD and Lebron are on a totally different planet than the rest of the NBA. Davis, Cousins, Paul, Melo, George, Curry, Harden, Dwight, Love and some others are on that 2nd tier. Everyone has been impressed with Blakes rampage this month but until he can do this for a season he isn't MVP. 34, 11 and 4 with his shooting numbers (his february stat line) should be enough to win MVP, so who knows, if he can keep this up or even keep it up 90% he, davis and love will have the PF position back on top.

I am starting to come around on Blake as a player(I hated him before) but please, what is your top ten? I dont have him in mine....

Chrisclover
02-23-2014, 09:49 AM
Yes, but he will not win one

Chrisclover
02-23-2014, 09:59 AM
probably for the years to come, he will be in a heated debate for the MVP award .But not now

3RDASYSTEM
02-23-2014, 10:43 AM
Chris Paul went down and was out for several weeks. Without a strong point guard to step in, Griffin took the leadership role. His assists went up, his scoring went up, and he really seemed to do an amazing job carrying the burden and keep the team near the top of the division.

I LOVE Chris Paul and the last two seasons would have voted for him for MVP, but this year, I think Griffin should really be put in the conversation.

I'm on the Durant bandwagon. That dude is a clear cut MVP at this point, but I think both Griffin and CP3 deserve to be in the top five for voting this year (my other two spots would go to LBJ and likely LMA).

Put it like this, imagine if BLAKE was out that long a stretch and CP3 did what BLAKE was doing stat-win wise, he would be clearly MVP fav or tied at worst with KD-BRON so of course he is a legit candidate, top 5 probably

KD has been MVP caliber since his inception but easily since like 11' season and even 10' but now since his mediahyped PER is higher than BRON it's his for the taking according to you genius bandwagoners who couldn't figure out he was MVP legit since TEXAS days, yeah he was that good back then, go check it out for yourself if you don't believe me, he went for like 26ppg and 12rpg as sole ncaa season, its like when I saw BEASLEY put up the same stat line pretty much next season at K STATE, I said to myself no way in the hell is he close to the player KD is but he was good at scoring(putting the ball in the bucket at that level and decent in nba)

ALDRIDGE is mvp candidate this year but its not very strong just like in years past he hasn't been that strong a candidate unlike KD who always pretty much was in my book so its no surprise to see him pull a BARKLEY/MALONE/IVERSON and play his way to a mvp being mvp caliber annually pretty much, happens all the time, see 11' season for proof when HOWARD/BRON/KD got robbed of mvp hardware

3RDASYSTEM
02-23-2014, 10:48 AM
probably for the years to come, he will be in a heated debate for the MVP award .But not now

for years to come? isn't this like his 4th or 5th season? when will he win it like bean Bryant did in his 12th senior circuit season? I guess you would know from experience watching it up close

BLAKE is either a candidate now and a yr or so back or he wont be, so I say he is a candidate now and will be for years to come

Swashcuff
02-23-2014, 11:00 AM
for years to come? isn't this like his 4th or 5th season? when will he win it like bean Bryant did in his 12th senior circuit season? I guess you would know from experience watching it up close

BLAKE is either a candidate now and a yr or so back or he wont be, so I say he is a candidate now and will be for years to come

The last 2 PFs to win the award did so in their 9th year in the league. Your point makes no sense.

Chrisclover
02-23-2014, 11:09 AM

Now doubt he is a much better player than he used to be .In the past he mainly relied on his body ,now he has skills

Clippersfan86
02-23-2014, 12:19 PM
I feel like I constantly repeat this but when asked himself why he made a leap this year, Blake echo'd what I said. Which is... Blake finally got a summer to do nothing but work on his game. 2 summers he was rehabbing injuries, one summer was the lockout. I'd say that's a pretty damn good excuse to not develop at the rate critics expect.

What's scary is... he made this leap with one summer of focused work. Imagine with those other 3 summers how good he'd be?

Clippersfan86
02-23-2014, 12:33 PM
Swash maybe it's 30-35 games not 40 but in whatever stretch Blake is averaging 28/10/4 which does rival Durant's numbers of that span on similarly elite efficiency. If you take just February he's at 32/11/4 or something absurd I think. The other night he had a "bad" game and put up 28/13/3.