PDA

View Full Version : Granger wants buyout in Philly

spreadeagle
02-21-2014, 07:58 PM
Granger's camp said to want buyout ... but he'd lose his Bird rights going that route. So lots to talk about in those "discussions" w/Hinkie

It is NOT an automatic DGranger will get a buyout from Sixers. Keeping him for sign-and-trade options this summer holds appeal for Philly

But Granger clearly does not want to be in Philly and is expected to push for his release to try to work his way to Miami, OKC, SA, etc.-Marc Stein

Minimal
02-21-2014, 08:07 PM
Feel sorry for the brah, stayed loyal as a dog during his career for the Pacers, now when they are title contenders they trade him. Hopefully they buy him out. Dont see him heading to miami,. Could be a good fit with SA or Clippers, deserves to be in a contender team.

EL_MACHETE
02-21-2014, 08:11 PM
Please come to Okc!

PacersForLife
02-21-2014, 08:15 PM
Would like to see him end up in SA or LAC.

MagicBucsSox
02-21-2014, 08:18 PM
Join Miami to spite the Indy FO?

PacersForLife
02-21-2014, 08:24 PM

I don't believe he left on bad terms. He came into practice today and hugged Donnie Walsh and Kevin Pritchard who are part of the front office. I doubt he signs with Miami.

dtmagnet
02-21-2014, 08:30 PM
I don't think he'll go to a team where he'd have a diminished role, this is not a guy nearing the end of his career.

beasted86
02-21-2014, 08:36 PM
Completely unlikely, but would be hilarious.

Asik's better
02-21-2014, 08:40 PM
There is always room for him in houston.

SPURSFAN1
02-21-2014, 08:40 PM
We have no true SF backup. Granger can get limited minutes until he feels more relaxed in the court.

SPURSFAN1
02-21-2014, 08:41 PM
There is always room for him in houston.

he wants to go to a contender.

Jays Claw
02-21-2014, 08:43 PM
If I'm Philly, I don't buy him out.

Like Stein mentioned, he could be a very intriguing piece in trades this summer.

Slug3
02-21-2014, 08:44 PM
I don't believe he left on bad terms. He came into practice today and hugged Donnie Walsh and Kevin Pritchard who are part of the front office. I doubt he signs with Miami.

I'm sure his still upset but knows it's a business.

PacersForLife
02-21-2014, 08:46 PM
I'm sure his still upset but knows it's a business.

Yeah, all I'm saying is I don't think he's going to try to spite the Pacers or whatever.

Wade n Fade
02-21-2014, 08:48 PM

Houston is a contender... They can easily upset teams in the first round as a low seed. They have beaten the Spurs 3 times this season. The West is so deep that if a team gets hot, it can be that team's to lose. Whether it's OKC, San Antonio, GSW, Portland, Houston, or LAC.

theducksmuggler
02-21-2014, 08:50 PM
Really what team will sign and trade for him? he seems washed up to me after injuries but i guess we shall see...what kind of contract do u see him getting?

beasted86
02-21-2014, 08:51 PM
If I'm Philly, I don't buy him out.

Like Stein mentioned, he could be a very intriguing piece in trades this summer.

I don't get that logic because Philly will have tons of cap space, and its not as if they can sign and trade Granger for someone who would be a better player with more upside than Evan Turner. Just doesn't make any sense.

I'd buyout Granger for the exact amount of money that will take them to the salary floor. Save every penny possible for a guy they have no intention of playing.

DallasTrilla23
02-21-2014, 08:52 PM

LOL Shots fired.

DallasTrilla23
02-21-2014, 08:54 PM
I think he'll go to LAC. That's the only contender that he would start in.

SPURSFAN1
02-21-2014, 08:58 PM
Houston is a contender... They can easily upset teams in the first round as a low seed. They have beaten the Spurs 3 times this season. The West is so deep that if a team gets hot, it can be that team's to lose. Whether it's OKC, San Antonio, GSW, Portland, Houston, or LAC.

Sorry my friend, but regular season means jack especially before the allstar break. You can make a case we are 2-0, while the rockets lost to the warriors yesterday. Didn't dwight have like 4 points yesterday or something? hahahahahahhahah

Raps08-09 Champ
02-21-2014, 09:02 PM
He will go to the Spurs.

Avenged
02-21-2014, 09:30 PM
Go to Miami!! It would be hilarious when he's the reason the Pacers don't win it.

Dade County
02-21-2014, 09:58 PM
I can see him on the Spurs.

Go to Miami!! It would be hilarious when he's the reason the Pacers don't win it.

lol

mdm692
02-21-2014, 10:07 PM
Come to Phoenix. The trainers will make him play like back when he was the man in Indy.

mdm692
02-21-2014, 10:10 PM

Suns are 2-0 vs Pacers, 2-1 vs Blazers, 1-0 vs Clippers, 2-1 vs Warriors so that means that if the Suns face the Blazers in the 1st round, then the Warriors in the 2nd, Clips in WCF and Pacers in the finals then we will for sure win our first championship right?

bleedprple&gold
02-21-2014, 10:12 PM
Another guy *****ing and complaining to force his way to a contender? If I'm Philly I say we only buy you out for half the money your owed.

Jamiecballer
02-21-2014, 10:38 PM
^ agreed. buyouts are a ****ing joke

Dade County
02-21-2014, 10:39 PM
Suns are 2-0 vs Pacers, 2-1 vs Blazers, 1-0 vs Clippers, 2-1 vs Warriors so that means that if the Suns face the Blazers in the 1st round, then the Warriors in the 2nd, Clips in WCF and Pacers in the finals then we will for sure win our first championship right?

I was with you, until I read pacers in the Finals; I'm confused now. lol

mdm692
02-21-2014, 10:40 PM
I was with you, until I read pacers in the Finals; I'm confused now. lol

You get the point :p.

Dade County
02-21-2014, 10:41 PM
Another guy *****ing and complaining to force his way to a contender? If I'm Philly I say we only buy you out for half the money your owed.

What do you what the man to do... He thought he was going to be facing the HEAT in the ECF, now he's own a team thats rebuilding.

I mean, it's not cool to just hate for no reason.

Asik's better
02-21-2014, 10:45 PM

Agreed, it's why I lost all respect for fisher, cried his way out of Houston and Dallas. Players need to run out their contracts.

In saying that, granger is welcomed to Houston.

R. Johnson#3
02-21-2014, 11:12 PM
Not a fan of him *****ing and asking for a buyout. But then again, he did kind of get kicked to the curb in Indy.

Minimal
02-21-2014, 11:16 PM
The guy was a face of Pacers in the hardest times and spent many years in there. He is 30 now and moving from the team with best record to one of the worst teams in NBA is kind of sad, he didnt deserve it. I have no problem with this guy asking for a buyout. Black Spurs jersey with Granger on it will look cool, thats what I envision.

moshy2
02-21-2014, 11:25 PM
I don't mind the buyout part, it's when they go to a contender for the minimum that's annoying. You wouldn't take the minimum in the offseason, but do now to get a ring since you already got your money from the buyout

bleedprple&gold
02-22-2014, 12:25 AM
What do you what the man to do... He thought he was going to be facing the HEAT in the ECF, now he's own a team thats rebuilding.

The NBA is a business. You can get traded at anytime and its your obligation to play for the team that traded for you. When you sign an NBA contract, that's part of the contract. They gave up assets to get you so you owe it to them to sack up and play. There's only 20-something games left in the season. He can't just shut up and play?

mdm692
02-22-2014, 12:28 AM
The NBA is a business. You can get traded at anytime and its your obligation to play for the team that traded for you. When you sign an NBA contract, that's part of the contract. They gave up assets to get you so you owe it to them to sack up and play. There's only 20-something games left in the season. He can't just shut up and play?
And just like any business you can request to terminate the contract. If the employer does terminate the contract and buy him out then so be it. They can always give him the Andre Miller treatment. It's not like it matters for the 6ers.

bleedprple&gold
02-22-2014, 12:29 AM
I don't mind the buyout part, it's when they go to a contender for the minimum that's annoying. You wouldn't take the minimum in the offseason, but do now to get a ring since you already got your money from the buyout

Completely agree. You still get paid by your old team and you also get paid by your new team. So not only do you get more money, but you get on a better team. Why wouldn't you force a buy out? There has to a bigger drawback to deter guys from doing it. They should at least subtract the money your new team is paying from the amount your old team is paying you, that way you can't make more money then you would have with no buy out.

goingfor28
02-22-2014, 12:32 AM

didnt know all 4 letters in heat were upper case ;)

bleedprple&gold
02-22-2014, 12:33 AM
And just like any business you can request to terminate the contract. If the employer does terminate the contract and buy him out then so be it. They can always give him the Andre Miller treatment. It's not like it matters for the 6ers.

That's fine, just don't expect to be paid for services you are no longer providing.

EL_MACHETE
02-22-2014, 12:39 AM
We'll welcome him with open arms here in Okc

FlashBolt
02-22-2014, 12:45 AM
I don't see how he'll join Miami after what he did to them (better yet LeBron) two years ago. It'll just be.. awkward. I can definitely see him going to Spurs, though.

mdm692
02-22-2014, 12:48 AM
That's fine, just don't expect to be paid for services you are no longer providing.

I'm not saying it's right or wrong but you do realize that the both parties have to agree in order for the buyout to go through. Players are in a win-win situation. Teams have no control aside from trading and suspending players.

mdm692
02-22-2014, 12:51 AM
We'll welcome him with open arms here in Okc

Jackson-Westbrook-Granger-KD-Ibaka would be crazy good if they can get Granger at least 75-80% healthy.

kobe4thewinbang
02-22-2014, 12:55 AM
Funny how Turner got his wish and was traded from a "tanking" team, yet now Granger is in the same boat.

Hawkeye15
02-22-2014, 12:56 AM
losing his Bird rights is so important.....

offer him $1 million buyout (he is owed $4.5 million this season), and let him go elsewhere. See if he caves.

FOBolous
02-22-2014, 01:04 AM
Sorry my friend, but regular season means jack especially before the allstar break. You can make a case we are 2-0, while the rockets lost to the warriors yesterday. Didn't dwight have like 4 points yesterday or something? hahahahahahhahah

yes. because no team of higher seed have ever lost to a team of lower seed before :rolleyes: and because Parker, Ginobili, and Duncan has never had a bad game before.

c.c.
02-22-2014, 01:08 AM

You trying to be funny man!?

SPURSFAN1
02-22-2014, 01:10 AM
I swear I love all houston fans. Always make things more interesting. lol

Chrisclover
02-22-2014, 01:14 AM
Fantastic move.

c.c.
02-22-2014, 01:15 AM
I swear I love all houston fans. Always make things more interesting. lol

How we make things "interesting". Please explain if you don't mind

Chrisclover
02-22-2014, 01:17 AM
Really what team will sign and trade for him? he seems washed up to me after injuries but i guess we shall see...what kind of contract do u see him getting?
Around like 7mil ?I dont know. probably some bottom teams will offer him much more like he was still in his prime

SPURSFAN1
02-22-2014, 01:20 AM
How we make things "interesting". Please explain if you don't mind

Too hard to explain. Has to do with the superiority complex without the superiority. Dwight and harden is a good combo but yall too green to win in the postseason.

c.c.
02-22-2014, 01:22 AM
Too hard to explain. Has to do with the superiority complex without the superiority. Dwight and harden is a good combo but yall too green to win in the postseason.

If you say so bro

PacersForLife
02-22-2014, 01:22 AM
Unless he improves a lot, I could only see him getting like 5M at the most... maybe not even that.

goku
02-22-2014, 01:24 AM

im sure a team with a window past 1-2 more seasons would also be fine

SPURSFAN1
02-22-2014, 01:25 AM
im sure a team with a window past 1-2 more seasons would also be fine

I swear timmy is old as fawk.

goku
02-22-2014, 01:28 AM
hope the Spurs and Rockets stay in the 2nd 3rd seeds don't matter which have HC would like to see the match up if both happen to advance

goku
02-22-2014, 01:32 AM
him joining the heat would be funny though

SPURSFAN1
02-22-2014, 01:34 AM
hope the Spurs and Rockets stay in the 2nd 3rd seeds don't matter which have HC would like to see the match up if both happen to advance

I'm hoping for that too. That's if houston gets passed the first round.

c.c.
02-22-2014, 01:39 AM

We will bro, let's just hope the Spurs don't completely break down come playoff time

mdm692
02-22-2014, 01:44 AM

You guys are probably facing the Warriors or Mavericks so it goes both ways. And don't let Memphis sneak into 7th or 8th cause they'll give the Spurs a hell of a series and probably take it as well. Best case for them is to face Phoenix and even then I'm not too sure they can contain the back court if Bledsoe is back at 100%. Excellent half-court execution and having one of the greatest coaches of all time gives them a huge advantage but this is the Wild Wild West and any of the 8th seeds can beat any of the other seeds on any night or any series.

SPURSFAN1
02-22-2014, 01:46 AM
We will bro, let's just hope the Spurs don't completely break down come playoff time

The quietest team is the one you should fear.

SPURSFAN1
02-22-2014, 01:49 AM
You guys are probably facing the Warriors or Mavericks so it goes both ways. And don't let Memphis sneak into 7th or 8th cause they'll give the Spurs a hell of a series and probably take it as well. Best case for them is to face Phoenix and even then I'm not too sure they can contain the back court if Bledsoe is back at 100%.

Warriors or Mavericks don't want to see us. That goes for memphis too. The suns don't want to see us either. It's like the spurs don't ever bring it in the regular season. Taxes, death and 50 win seasons by the spurs are pretty much guaranteed.

c.c.
02-22-2014, 01:50 AM
The quietest team is the one you should fear.

Is "quiet" a synonym for boring or unentertaining?

SPURSFAN1
02-22-2014, 01:53 AM
Is "quiet" a synonym for boring or unentertaining?

http://instagram.com/p/koSD-DCEFE/

its gold like this that makes me laugh. you can bet ur a..ss this video will be there everytime yall lose in the postseason.

SeoulBeatz
02-22-2014, 01:54 AM
I expect Granger to be bought out by Monday and he won't play a minute in a Sixers uni. It'll be like that time Jamal Mashburn was a Sixer.... he was... for a week.

mdm692
02-22-2014, 01:54 AM
Warriors or Mavericks don't want to see us. That goes for memphis too. The suns don't want to see us either. It's like the spurs don't ever bring it in the regular season. Taxes, death and 50 win seasons by the spurs are pretty much guaranteed.

This ain't 2007 anymore lol. I do give the organization credit and will definitely acknowledge them as the greatest dynasty, as a whole organization not just the team, but teams are not scared to see the Spurs anymore. I'll even go as far as to say that they'll struggle in the 1st round and even if they do manage to get out of the first round they won't make it past the 2nd.

SPURSFAN1
02-22-2014, 02:02 AM
This ain't 2007 anymore lol. I do give the organization credit and will definitely acknowledge them as the greatest dynasty, as a whole organization not just the team, but teams are not scared to see the Spurs anymore. I'll even go as far as to say that they'll struggle in the 1st round and even if they do manage to get out of the first round they won't make it past the 2nd.

We have a very good winning record vs all 4 of those teams.

B'sCeltsPatsSox
02-22-2014, 02:16 AM
I mean, he won't be getting a contract big enough this summer in which having his bird rights could get you something in a s&t. Might as well do it.

mdm692
02-22-2014, 02:16 AM
We have a very good winning record vs all 4 of those teams.

So by your logic I should be hoping to play the Blazers or Warriors cause we currently have a winning percentage of above 60% against both of those teams. And Miami better hope Brooklyn doesn't make the playoffs since they have a losing record against them ;).

SPURSFAN1
02-22-2014, 02:20 AM
So by your logic I should be hoping to play the Blazers or Warriors cause we currently have a winning percentage of above 60% against both of those teams. And Miami better hope Brooklyn doesn't make the playoffs since they have a losing record against them ;).

no, ur right. Suns aren't beating the spurs in the postseason though.

mdm692
02-22-2014, 02:52 AM
no, ur right. Suns aren't beating the spurs in the postseason though.

I never said we were just don't sleep on a team just because they're a lower seed. I don't need to remind you about that #8 seed Grizzlies a few years ago. They call it the Wild Wild West for a reason.

Rndy
02-22-2014, 02:55 AM
Probably wants to go to the LAC or Houston both teams could use a wing off the bench I just hope Granger can get back to the player he was one of the more underrated stars of the game few years ago. Efficient, good size, defense, rebounding, and shooting. One of my favorite Wings in the game wanted him on the Bulls for years but I just don't know if he can be that guy again.

bleedprple&gold
02-22-2014, 03:00 AM

I'm not saying it's right or wrong but you do realize that the both parties have to agree in order for the buyout to go through. Players are in a win-win situation. Teams have no control aside from trading and suspending players.

I would say if you don't want to play then fine your suspended without pay. Some teams must be afraid to do it since it makes them look like they are not player-friendly, but if you give him that option im sure he would rather just play and get his money.

SPURSFAN1
02-22-2014, 03:14 AM
I never said we were just don't sleep on a team just because they're a lower seed. I don't need to remind you about that #8 seed Grizzlies a few years ago. They call it the Wild Wild West for a reason.

that usually happens to offense no defense teams. we aren't just offense. explain to me what happened last year? also manu our best player broke his arm one game before the playoffs but he wasn't the same when he came back. just like how the thunder lost westbrook last year. i guess miracles happen for other teams. http://www.sbnation.com/nba/2011/4/13/2110145/spurs-manu-ginobili-elbow-injury-suns-san-antonio

That grizz team wasn't better than the spurs team. FYI.

mdm692
02-22-2014, 12:38 PM
that usually happens to offense no defense teams. we aren't just offense. explain to me what happened last year? also manu our best player broke his arm one game before the playoffs but he wasn't the same when he came back. just like how the thunder lost westbrook last year. i guess miracles happen for other teams. http://www.sbnation.com/nba/2011/4/13/2110145/spurs-manu-ginobili-elbow-injury-suns-san-antonio

That grizz team wasn't better than the spurs team. FYI.

Warriors vs Mavs back in mid 00's. And that's fine if he was injured bjt as an organization you deal with it not whine. But let's use your logic again. We're going to put asterisks on the championships your spurs won in 07 and in 05 because in 05 Joe Johnson was playing with a broken face after being out for a bit and in 07 the bs Amare-Diaw suspension. Also the 10 championship for LA cause when Phx played them Lopez was injured coming off pinched nerves so he wasn't 100% either. You don't have to take it personal but in order for the spurs to even make some noise Harden, Westbrook, Iguodala and Blake all need to get injured.

Vinylman
02-22-2014, 01:09 PM
I don't get that logic because Philly will have tons of cap space, and its not as if they can sign and trade Granger for someone who would be a better player with more upside than Evan Turner. Just doesn't make any sense.

I'd buyout Granger for the exact amount of money that will take them to the salary floor. Save every penny possible for a guy they have no intention of playing.

terrible analysis... the fact that they are way under the cap and will be next year makes it MORE likely they would want to do a S&T...

taking salaries on aren't an issue for Philly for the next couple of years since they will be hard pressed to hit the floor

the key is getting picks for the future which is similar to what Milwaukee did last summer in the Redick deal

-Kobe24-TJ19-
02-22-2014, 03:12 PM
NBA is a joke.

If you are traded you must play there.

jp611
02-22-2014, 03:16 PM
I could see him signing with Chicago to spite Indiana

Jamiecballer
02-22-2014, 04:01 PM

he could try sacking up, maybe appreciate his good fortune to make a living playing pro sports, show some respect for the team that just traded for him (and the fans of said team who just gave up a player to acquire you).

Crackadalic
02-22-2014, 04:03 PM
I see him going to the clippers

beasted86
02-22-2014, 04:07 PM
terrible analysis... the fact that they are way under the cap and will be next year makes it MORE likely they would want to do a S&T...

taking salaries on aren't an issue for Philly for the next couple of years since they will be hard pressed to hit the floor

the key is getting picks for the future which is similar to what Milwaukee did last summer in the Redick deal

Actually your analysis is the one that makes little sense. He's washed up and will only request a sign and trade if its to a contender. No contender is giving up a first for him. And his value on the market is mid level or lower, so why would a team give up a good asset instead of just using their mid level?

Either way the Sixers can either save whatever money they can before hitting the cap floor or they can hold onto Granger and trade him for an even worse player or best case scenario an even worse player plus a 2nd.

smith&wesson
02-22-2014, 04:15 PM
come to toronto and help us beat the pacers in round 2 :cheer:

WVNowitzki
02-22-2014, 04:25 PM
Aren't all these guys the first to say - this is a business, yada yada...but when this "business" sends you somewhere you don't necessarily want to go, they are giant babies and do whatever they can to get out of the position they are in.

The NBA should just go to 10 teams and get it over with already.

PacersForLife
02-22-2014, 04:33 PM
People are acting like it's all Granger's idea. The 76ers may have been planning to buy him out all along.

ryder78c
02-22-2014, 05:00 PM
Aren't all these guys the first to say - this is a business, yada yada...but when this "business" sends you somewhere you don't necessarily want to go, they are giant babies and do whatever they can to get out of the position they are in.

The NBA should just go to 10 teams and get it over with already.

dont know much about money or sports huh

lets make the nba boring and have 10 teams dumbest idea anybody ever said it makes no sense when people keep saying this! from a business stand point you take what 22 teams with hundreds of millions fans and make them root for one of 10 teams which means not as many people watching the nba which means loss of revenue...hope you know that means your Mavs wont be around because they'd do a regional fan base and Spurs would win down there

KIDS ITS ABOUT MONEY NOT WHO WINS LOOK AT NBA HISTORY reason there changing the bobcats name back to hornets because back in the 90's Alonzo And Larry johnson jersey's were TOP SELLERS nobody buys bobcats jerseys no money there nobody roots for the cats reason for the name change THE LITTLE THINGS IN SPORTS MAKE ALOT OF MONEY its just a bunch of people dont get that

sunsfan88
02-22-2014, 05:01 PM
People who think Granger can still be a good player are gonna be disappointed.

ryder78c
02-22-2014, 05:05 PM
People who think Granger can still be a good player are gonna be disappointed.

he can be a good spot up shooter his knees wont hold for much else

Vinylman
02-22-2014, 07:00 PM
Actually your analysis is the one that makes little sense. He's washed up and will only request a sign and trade if its to a contender. No contender is giving up a first for him. And his value on the market is mid level or lower, so why would a team give up a good asset instead of just using their mid level?

Either way the Sixers can either save whatever money they can before hitting the cap floor or they can hold onto Granger and trade him for an even worse player or best case scenario an even worse player plus a 2nd.

The bolded is more solid analysis... keep the laughs coming...

Again, reference the fact that philly has no one under contract, that a pick is a pick whether second or not, and finally the fact that a contender would rather use a second rounder than using up their mle (or any exception) if they are over the cap...

but yeah... keep the laughs coming

FYL_McVeezy
02-22-2014, 07:19 PM
Granger on OKC just might do it for them.......

beasted86
02-22-2014, 08:04 PM
The bolded is more solid analysis... keep the laughs coming...

Again, reference the fact that philly has no one under contract, that a pick is a pick whether second or not, and finally the fact that a contender would rather use a second rounder than using up their mle (or any exception) if they are over the cap...

but yeah... keep the laughs coming

Umm... if they buy out Granger's 4.5M and lets say save $3M.... couldn't they turn around and spend that same $3M (which is the spending limit) to buy a draft pick (maybe even a 1st) that is way higher than the 2nd that would be coming from a contender?

A greater than 45th pick in the draft is worth more than the potential millions of saved dollars? Use common sense, guy. It's not that complicated.

Dade County
02-22-2014, 09:18 PM
he could try sacking up, maybe appreciate his good fortune to make a living playing pro sports, show some respect for the team that just traded for him (and the fans of said team who just gave up a player to acquire you).

What respect will the 76ers show him... His just an asset, they didn't bring him there to change their franchise in a positive way; like changing the culture.

What does the fans have to do with this trade... you think 6'ers fans give a flying **** about granger? They are looking a head to the draft.

What are you talking about. This is like the Bynum deal, where 76ers fans felt they had a star player coming in.

sixer04fan
02-23-2014, 04:08 AM
Most Sixers fans are totally cool and understanding with Granger wanting a buyout. The organization seems to be as well, as I'm sure it was expected.

Usually I'm not a fan of players seeking buyouts for selfish reasons, demanding trades, forcing their way to certain teams, etc.. Even if you're going from a team like the Pacers to a team like the Sixers. If the team wants you to play, you should honor your contract and play. But this is different.

In this case, the Sixers didn't trade for Granger for his services as a player. They traded for him because the CBA mandates that the Pacers have to send a certain amount of salary back in the trade. The Pacers made the trade for basketball reasons, but the Sixers really didn't. Granger is kind of just a victim of the circumstance for having a contract that equals a certain dollar amount. He really has no future with the team, and the only reason the Sixers would want to keep him for the rest of the year is because we might be able to use him in a sign and trade in the offseason, which is very unlikely anyways. To the Sixers, he's just a contract and a possible trade asset.

If the buyout doesn't happen for some reason and they can't come to an agreement, I'm sure he'll play out the rest of the year and it'll be fine. He'll be pissed, the Sixers won't care, and the season will go on. But 99% chance the buyout happens. For the Sixers, the trade was really just about getting that future 2nd round pick, not about getting Granger.

sixer04fan
02-23-2014, 04:19 AM
Think about the other perspective too. In another trade, the Sixers just sent Spencer Hawes to the Cavs and one of the players we got back from CLE was Earl Clark. We immediately waived Clark later that day and now he's temporarily out of a job. He got his money I guess, but he's gotta go find another team and all that if he wants to play again.

We had no interest in keeping Earl Clark, and now he's not playing basketball because he was only included in a trade because the Cavs had to match Hawes' salary to send to the Sixers. He's sort of a complete victim of the system. Is that not as equally messed up as when a player seeks a buyout? If not more so? People aren't outraged with the Sixers or the NBA for having rules that require and allow that to happen. Yet that kind of stuff happens all the time.

Slug3
02-23-2014, 05:32 AM
NBA is a joke.

If you are traded you must play there.

Oh a Laker fan complaining about trades?

amak316
02-23-2014, 05:35 AM
Think about the other perspective too. In another trade, the Sixers just sent Spencer Hawes to the Cavs and one of the players we got back from CLE was Earl Clark. We immediately waived Clark later that day and now he's temporarily out of a job. He got his money I guess, but he's gotta go find another team and all that if he wants to play again.

We had no interest in keeping Earl Clark, and now he's not playing basketball because he was only included in a trade because the Cavs had to match Hawes' salary to send to the Sixers. He's sort of a complete victim of the system. Is that not as equally messed up as when a player seeks a buyout? If not more so? People aren't outraged with the Sixers or the NBA for having rules that require and allow that to happen. Yet that kind of stuff happens all the time.

Last time I checked the employer (owner) is the victim of the system when they are stuck paying someone to NOT come to work.

Jamiecballer
02-23-2014, 11:57 AM

both situations are totally bogus, i agree.

Vinylman
02-23-2014, 12:16 PM
Umm... if they buy out Granger's 4.5M and lets say save $3M.... couldn't they turn around and spend that same $3M (which is the spending limit) to buy a draft pick (maybe even a 1st) that is way higher than the 2nd that would be coming from a contender?

A greater than 45th pick in the draft is worth more than the potential millions of saved dollars? Use common sense, guy. It's not that complicated.

LMFAO... keep em coming

buying out Granger doesn't save Philly a nickle since it would put them below the 90% threshold

Keep painting yourself into a corner ... it is entertaining

sixer04fan
02-23-2014, 01:44 PM
Last time I checked the employer (owner) is the victim of the system when they are stuck paying someone to NOT come to work.

I guess that's one way to look at it haha. But not really, the Sixers already committed that money to Spencer Hawes. It's not like they would have cut Hawes if they didn't trade him. And it's not like the Cavs would have cut Clark of they didn't trade for Hawes. Clark was cut only because he was traded. And he was traded only because of a formality for teams to match salaries.

sixer04fan
02-23-2014, 01:45 PM
LMFAO... keep em coming

buying out Granger doesn't save Philly a nickle since it would put them below the 90% threshold

Keep painting yourself into a corner ... it is entertaining

This is true. Buying out Granger isn't about saving money for the Sixers, because they have to reach the salary floor anyways with or without him.

BALLER R
02-23-2014, 01:52 PM
If should go to the spurs. Look at what pop can do with guys that were scrubs.