PDA

View Full Version : Nets Thinking of Signing Jason Collins

Tony_Starks
02-21-2014, 05:07 PM
You think this is legit or a PR move? I was always of the opinion that he's horrible. Slow, clumsy, can't score, doesn't really get boards or blocks. When he last played for the Wiz he barely touched the floor. He's like a not athletic Kwame Brown. And that's when he was young!

It's not for his "veteran leadership" they have KG and Pierce. So what's the purpose? To come in and set the occasional screen?

BoSox47
02-21-2014, 05:20 PM
You think this is legit or a PR move? I was always of the opinion that he's horrible. Slow, clumsy, can't score, doesn't really get boards or blocks. When he last played for the Wiz he barely touched the floor. He's like a not athletic Kwame Brown. And that's when he was young!

It's not for his "veteran leadership" they have KG and Pierce. So what's the purpose? To come in and set the occasional screen?

Collins played with KG and Pierce in Boston. While he is slow and whatnot he can still be serviceable playing defense and grabbing boards while giving a big a couple extra minutes of rest. Not someone who is going to give you much but he can certainly play a role.

DreamShaker
02-21-2014, 05:54 PM
I honestly think they would have considered him if he never came out. He has ties to Kidd, KG, PP, and the Nets. Yes, he's not that good. But he's a big body that can play post D and give you 6 fouls. I can't think off the top of my head if there are better options out there, but they are at least gonna give him a look. He's buddies with the coach. I think that has more to do with it than his sexuality.

SPURSFAN1
02-21-2014, 05:58 PM
I heard collins was kg's good luck charm.

KniCks4LiFe
02-21-2014, 06:07 PM
looks like a PR move. So I'm saying PR.

Yo he can't rebound, he can't set screens or picks at 38? you remember how much he sucked as a player or nah?

better question, if he weren't gay would an NBA team look at him?

Tony_Starks
02-21-2014, 06:15 PM
looks like a PR move. So I'm saying PR.

Yo he can't rebound, he can't set screens or picks at 38? you remember how much he sucked as a player or nah?

better question, if he weren't gay would an NBA team look at him?

To me it seems more PR. I mean I get that he's big and can give you 6 fouls but big deal. I'd much rather have Ivan Johnson who played for the Hawks last year. Big but actually skilled, can defend/ board/ score. Plus he's younger and cheaper.

To me it's a good PR move to be the first team to sign a openly gay guy. That's the kind of publicity that transcends sports....

JLynn943
02-21-2014, 06:33 PM
Don't get how this would be a PR move. Why would the Nets need or want PR right now?

I think this is just players and a coach who know this player and think he might be useful to have come in for a few minutes. It's not like he's entirely useless - otherwise he wouldn't have lasted in the NBA as long as he did (before people knew he was gay - shocking, right?)

TheMightyHumph
02-21-2014, 08:22 PM
Nets need a big body. They are just too small a team.

Collins gives them some bulk vs. the bigger Centers of the league, who are killing Nets. He's a very physical player.

Maybe he can teach Plumlee how to set a pick and box out.

abe_froman
02-21-2014, 08:29 PM
they need bigs so why not? its not like he'll cost much

Tony_Starks
02-21-2014, 08:49 PM
The update is BK will try to get Davis first. It's a recruiting contest between KG and Doc in LA.

If they miss out they'll turn attention back to Collins....

Raps08-09 Champ
02-21-2014, 08:54 PM
Rarely do teams need a 35 year old journey man to make a push for the playoffs. And I am not sure how good of a leader Collins is but they are not lacking in that department at all in BK anyways. I say PR move.

TheMightyHumph
02-22-2014, 01:25 AM
Rarely do teams need a 35 year old journey man to make a push for the playoffs. And I am not sure how good of a leader Collins is but they are not lacking in that department at all in BK anyways. I say PR move.

Nets need a big body to frustrate the other teams big men.

Collins was GREAT at frustrating Dwight.

TheMightyHumph
02-22-2014, 01:26 AM
The update is BK will try to get Davis first. It's a recruiting contest between KG and Doc in LA.

I'm hoping Nets get them both.

KniCks4LiFe
02-22-2014, 01:29 AM
I'm hoping Nets get them both.

you really want Jason Collins? :eyebrow:

yo I'm judging you.

They don't realize Kirstic, Ivan or Earl Clark are still out there?

This is definite PR move.

benzni
02-22-2014, 02:23 AM
I can't wait for hack a collins to be in session again. even worse FT shooter than Dwight.

seikou8
02-22-2014, 02:32 AM
jason collins should go to miami him and bosh can have some fun;) , nets should get big baby davis

TheMightyHumph
02-22-2014, 02:36 AM
you really want Jason Collins? :eyebrow:

yo I'm judging you.

They don't realize Kirstic, Ivan or Earl Clark are still out there?

This is definite PR move.

Geez, wonder why they haven't signed him yet.

KniCks4LiFe
02-22-2014, 02:43 AM
Geez, wonder why they haven't signed him yet.

who Collins?

sunsfan88
02-22-2014, 06:35 AM
I wonder if players would feel awkward trying to post up Collins.

NYKNYGNYY
02-22-2014, 06:59 AM
Garnett said Collins taste like honey but Cheerios

MrfadeawayJB
02-22-2014, 10:03 AM
I wonder if players would feel awkward trying to post up Collins.

5 years ago, no. Today, **** yes

KnicksorBust
02-22-2014, 11:31 AM
Would he have already been on a team this year if he hadnt come out?

TheMightyHumph
02-22-2014, 02:06 PM
5 years ago, no. Today, **** yes

That would be a plus for the Nets, no?

Tony_Starks
02-22-2014, 10:41 PM
Would he have already been on a team this year if he hadnt come out?

Hell no. Gay or straight he's still terrible and damn near retired.

Had he not came out he'd have went to the scrub center graveyard with his brother, Chris Mihm, Greg Ostertag, Kwame Brown......

TheMightyHumph
02-22-2014, 11:32 PM
Hell no. Gay or straight he's still terrible and damn near retired.

Had he not came out he'd have went to the scrub center graveyard with his brother, Chris Mihm, Greg Ostertag, Kwame Brown......

Obviously, you know very little about JC's strengths and weaknesses.

Not saying that was unexpected.

b@llhog24
02-23-2014, 04:13 AM
This is just the kind of kick in the rear that the Nets needed.

Tony_Starks
02-23-2014, 01:43 PM
Big Baby is going to the Clipps so Collins most likely getting a 10-day and could play as soon as today against the Lakers.

Jalen Rose has jokes, he said he needs Collins agent because last year he avg 1 point 1 rebound!

Rush
02-23-2014, 02:57 PM
Closing this since he signed with the Nets. Go ahead and discuss over there.