PDA

View Full Version : Raptors Talking With Lowry About Possible Extension

Six-8-TheWizard
02-21-2014, 02:29 PM
I didn't see the press conference yesterday so Masai may have mentioned it already, but the Raptors and Lowry's agent have begun talks about a possible extension

http://www.torontosun.com/2014/02/20/kyle-lowry-a-raptor-today-and-perhaps-beyond

TORONTO - Kyle Lowry began and ended trade deadline day a member of the Toronto Raptors.

That, in and of itself, is not particularly newsworthy.

There was only a slim chance someone was going to knock president and general manager Masai Ujiri's socks off with the kind of offer he couldn't turn down for his 27-year-old starting point guard.

What was newsworthy, or at least potentially newsworthy, were the subtle suggestions Ujiri was dropping that Lowry and the Raptors might just have a future together past this summer.

The very fact that Lowry is still a Raptor suggests that Ujiri believes he has a decent chance of re-signing him here.

Ujiri is a very nice man who treats everyone he encounters with respect. You will be hard pressed to find many (or even any) who have a negative word to say about him.

But when it comes to doing his job, which is to build the Raptors into a winning organization for years to come, Ujiri does not let niceties get in the way.

If Ujiri believed there was zero chance of re-signing Lowry, you can bet a fair amount of money he would have found a way to get some return on Lowry before he jumped ship.

The fact that he is still here at least suggests not only that Ujiri has in an interest in retaining him, but that he believes he has a fair chance of getting his signature on another contract.

As an unrestricted free agent, Lowry is free to go wherever he feels he can get the best deal, or to sign with whatever team best fits his needs.

The fear, and this market is rather familiar with this fear, is that he chooses somewhere else and leaves -- depriving the team of a valuable asset with nothing coming back.

Obviously that could still happen, but Ujiri was sounding a rather optimistic note when asked about Lowry.

For one he already has been in talks with Lowry's agent regarding a new deal.

But more than that, it was the way Ujiri talked about Lowry Thursday following a rather underwhelming trade deadline day that came and went with the Raptors pulling off one minor trade.

Asked about Lowry Thursday in a scheduled post-deadline scrum with the local media, Ujiri spoke encouragingly about the manner in which Lowry has conducted himself this year and, while he didn't use the word, the way he has matured this season.

"People are going to say it's a contract year, but in our opinion the kid has played all out and he has given it his all," Ujiri said of Lowry. "Kyle has adjusted. We set some good rules and had good talks with him (at the beginning of the season). He was up front with us and we were up front with him ... and he is living up to his part and I think we have lived up to our part too and that's how you build partnerships and we'll see how he grows."

There's a bit more if you click the link.

Thoughts? Are people happy with this, or would you rather wait it out until the offseason?

Jays Claw
02-21-2014, 02:50 PM
He fits with this team and is looked at as the long-term PG solution. Lock him up for the 5 years he'll be wanting and look to improve the bench afterward. This team has the potential to be a playoff team every year with him at the point.

mjt20mik
02-21-2014, 03:21 PM
There's a bit more if you click the link.

Thoughts? Are people happy with this, or would you rather wait it out until the offseason?

Best sig ever!

gwrighter
02-21-2014, 03:43 PM
Well Lowry isn't going to sign any extension at the moment. He's going to FA but its good that they've began talks regarding the future. This is in line with what people have been saying for a while now. This is a good situation for him. I expect the De Colo trade was made in an effort to gain more cap space in order to sign Lowry this off-season.

smith&wesson
02-21-2014, 08:07 PM
if If MU is leaning towards sticking with the core of Derozan, ross, Jonas … then yes I’m in favor of keeping Lowry. This young team responds to his leadership.

If he wants a 5 year deal I wouldn’t mind 9 mill per year. Sorta like what Calderon got. If he agrees to a 3 or 4 year deal the annually salary significantly raises I think.

dtmagnet
02-21-2014, 08:33 PM
I think the cost will be lower if we extend him now rather than at seasons end.

deaner
02-21-2014, 08:49 PM
. Wrong thread

Kinglorious
02-21-2014, 09:26 PM
Get it done, MU.

GodsSon
02-21-2014, 09:38 PM

anotherqtip420
02-22-2014, 10:32 AM
I could handle KL signing in season if MU could get it done. I'd go 5-7yrs @ $9-11 M per. Might sound like much but at least it shows we want him here and we're serious about him.

mjt20mik
02-22-2014, 10:54 AM
I could handle KL signing in season if MU could get it done. I'd go 5-7yrs @ $9-11 M per. Might sound like much but at least it shows we want him here and we're serious about him.

I'd only do a 3-4 year 8-10 million on him. I think that's fair.

lajoie
02-22-2014, 11:30 AM
Well Lowry isn't going to sign any extension at the moment. He's going to FA but its good that they've began talks regarding the future. This is in line with what people have been saying for a while now. This is a good situation for him. I expect the De Colo trade was made in an effort to gain more cap space in order to sign Lowry this off-season.

They have his bird rights. They don't need to clear cap to sign Lowry

Sadds The Gr8
02-22-2014, 08:49 PM

can't go 7 years...

smith&wesson
02-22-2014, 08:55 PM
5 is the max.. I would even push for 3-4 years at 9-10 mill...

pebloemer
02-22-2014, 09:18 PM
can't go 7 years...

For extensions the limit isn't even 5 years. There is no incentive on Lowry's end to sign an extension in season as the rules are pretty restrictive. I'm quite sure everyone is aware that if he comes back it will be through a new contract in the off-season. Any conversations being had would be under that concept I'd imagine.

TorontoHuskies
02-23-2014, 12:56 AM
Talk is cheap..

MoneyBall20
02-23-2014, 05:00 PM

Sounds about right.
4 years at 10 million at most.
U know his gonna ask for 12 million x 5 years = 60 million,yikes..

Six-8-TheWizard
02-24-2014, 11:39 PM
Best sig ever!

Aha I can watch that gif a thousand times and still be laughing. Dunleavy just hitting him trying to get off :laugh:

Six-8-TheWizard
02-24-2014, 11:42 PM
Im pretty indifferent as to whether we do it now or in the offseason. I get the feeling he will stay regardless.

Six-8-TheWizard
02-24-2014, 11:43 PM
Im pretty indifferent as to whether we do it now or in the offseason. I get the feeling he will stay regardless.

That is assuming we finish the season strong and don't end up falling off a cliff and getting swept as the 8th seed or something.

albertajaysfan
02-24-2014, 11:46 PM
For extensions the limit isn't even 5 years. There is no incentive on Lowry's end to sign an extension in season as the rules are pretty restrictive. I'm quite sure everyone is aware that if he comes back it will be through a new contract in the off-season. Any conversations being had would be under that concept I'd imagine.

I mostly agree.

Except I doubt he would get 5 years in free agency anyways. My guess is he only gets a 4 year contract which makes it possible (but unlikely) he signs an extension prior.

smith&wesson
02-25-2014, 03:14 AM
Sounds about right.
4 years at 10 million at most.
U know his gonna ask for 12 million x 5 years = 60 million,yikes..

then he is in for an awakening. No one will give him that.. Its almost a good thing that he is testing free agency. Reality check time.

smith&wesson
02-25-2014, 03:17 AM
That is assuming we finish the season strong and don't end up falling off a cliff and getting swept as the 8th seed or something.

:speechless: bite your tongue wizzy

Six-8-TheWizard
02-25-2014, 04:26 AM
:speechless: bite your tongue wizzy

:bang:

^We'll pretend that smiley is me knocking on wood lol

R. Johnson#3
02-26-2014, 08:04 AM
He fits with this team and is looked at as the long-term PG solution. Lock him up for the 5 years he'll be wanting and look to improve the bench afterward. This team has the potential to be a playoff team every year with him at the point.

What he said

DrJamesNaismith
02-26-2014, 11:42 AM
I'm just so affraid to spend a bunch on him or give him term, and then he show up to camp next year fat and entitled. I just remember him quitting on the team last year in games, bogus injuries, and clashes with the coach. This after a career of attitude issues in Memphis and Houston. That said:

This seems a total homer thing to say, but when considering what MVP should mean, I think Kyle is up there with KD this year right at the top. If MVP means a team would be screwed without them, then Kyle is absolutely in the top 2-3 in the league for consideration. But I understand that that's not what NBA MVP means.

So, what to do? Someone will give him the money. Maybe you cross your fingers, hope he's grown up, and make sure someone in your division or conference doesn't get him. I really do love the player that Kyle Lowry is at his core; tough, solid d, can drive and kick/score/get a foul or hit the 3, and distributes with a good assist to t.o ratio. It's just everything else that makes me worry that this could be a prototypical "contract year spike" in performance. He's been good while the team has been playing better, I'm just worried about who he becomes if they hit a 3-5 game skid.