PDA

View Full Version : Old School Question of the Day: Will 38 rebounds in a game ever happen again?

JasonJohnHorn
02-21-2014, 08:45 AM
On this day in 1963, Wilt Chamberlain and Bill Russell, playing in different games, BOTH pulled down 38 rebounds in a single game. Today, that alone would earn a player Line of the Night, but in 1963, you'd have to have outscored the other guy who happened to also pull down 38 boards.

Obviously games aren't the marathons they used to be, and guys like Russell and Wilt don't play 48 minutes, but big rebounding nights have happened since.

Since the 85/86 season, according to BBR game finder: http://www.basketball-reference.com/play-index/pgl_finder.cgi a player has pulled in 30 or more boards on 14 occasions. Not surprisingly, Rodman was the player on five of those occasions.

Most recently Andrew Bynum pulled it off in 2012, as did Kevin Love in 2010. Ron Siekley and Rodman both managed 34 rebounds games, and in 88 Charles Oakley managed a 35 reboudn game.

Oakley's total has not been matched since, in over 25 years.

So the questions is: will a player ever match 38 rebounds again? Or is this untouchable now? And what about the 35 rebound mark set by Oakley? Will that ever be eclipsed?

Who do you think will be the next player to pull off a 30-rebound game? Aside from the obvios choice of Kevin Love who has already done it.

-Kobe24-TJ19-
02-21-2014, 10:10 AM
Andre Drummond.

D-Leethal
02-21-2014, 10:29 AM
I could see it. It might only happen every 10 years or so but guys do pull down 30 every now and then. I could see a monster like Drummond pulling down something like that in a few years.

Tony_Starks
02-21-2014, 12:41 PM
A focused Dwight against a weak team could do it.....

True Sports Fan
02-21-2014, 12:53 PM
I don't see it unless a game goes to triple OT lol

FlashBolt
02-21-2014, 01:01 PM
38 rebounds back then divided by 3 = about 13 rebounds in modern era.

mightybosstone
02-21-2014, 01:17 PM
This is a good question, but I think it's one that you can chalk up to "how long will the NBA be a viable product?" If the league continues to be successful for another 100 years, it's inevitable that somebody will probably do it again. Plus, with all the fast pace offenses of today's NBA, it's not unrealistic to think the offensive nature of the game will continue to evolve and speed up. The more possessions there are, the more rebounds there are. And that doesn't even consider freak occurrences like triple OT games or games where all the 50/50 balls seem to fall into one player's hands.

If the league is sustainable for decades and/or centuries into the future, someone will get 38 rebounds again. It may just not be in this generation of players or in our lifetime.

Hawkeye15
02-21-2014, 02:28 PM
the pace would need to increase most likely. Love pulled down 30 a couple of seasons ago, but that is as close as we have seen. The pace in the Wilt days was 120+ possessions a game. That is 20+ more possessions a game than the fastest team now.

The other way it could happen is in a 2OT game or something like that, where a player gets 48-50 minutes.

Six-8-TheWizard
02-21-2014, 02:33 PM
Didnt Wilt get 55 rebounds in a game as well?

D-Leethal
02-21-2014, 02:40 PM
Also, the influx of small ball could bode well for a monster C like Drummond/DeAndre/Dwight to annihilate a small, uptempo team on the boards. It would probably take a perfect storm of: Small, crappy rebounding opponent + uptempo game with a ton of possessions + OT(s) + a ton of missed shots + a ton of rebounds off your own misses.

abe_froman
02-21-2014, 02:47 PM
i'lkl take the yes we will

i've learned never to bet against something ,the never see it again line doesnt hold up with me because none f us know what crazy **** the future hods(like for a long time we heard we'd never have a triple crown winner again).someone lke love might just be n a groove and play tons in an ot game or something