PDA

View Full Version : Old School Question of the Day: Happy B-Day Sir Charles! Will there ever be another?

JasonJohnHorn
02-20-2014, 08:46 PM
It's Barkley's B-day, so I figured we could do a question about him.

One: Will there ever be another power forward like him? A guy that can score in the mid-20's, rebound like a fiend, and post 5 assists a game in his prime?

His first year in Phoenix saw his minutes come down and his scoring average, rebound average and assist average go up!

Will anybody be able to post 25+, grab 12+ boards AND get 5+ assists to go with 1 steal and 1 blocks a game?

Blake Griffin and Kevin Love may be able to pull it off, but they gotta work on their assists.

Question two: How would Barkley's game translate today? I loved watching him in the post, but he loved to back-that-@$$ up a lot, and the rules don't allow for a guy to work the post like that any more and encourages players to play facing the basket. Would he be able to excel today? And where would he rank among today's PF's?

Also... dude was 6'5.... he's listed as 6'6 a lot of the time, but watches games on TV where he is standing next to Jordan and Jordan is CLEARLY taller....

a 6'5 PF that does all that?

DreamShaker
02-20-2014, 11:14 PM
His game would have to change, but he would still be a beast. He was really a freak. 6'5 chubby power forward who played like he did and was that athletic...just freakish. I remember Clarence Whetherspoon was called "Baby Barkley". They need to chill on names like that. Him and Baby Jordan. Lol.

mightybosstone
02-20-2014, 11:26 PM
Barkley was a freak of nature. The guy was so insanely skilled for a PF, was the greatest rebounder under 6'6" in NBA history, was overweight for most of his career and could still dominate against big men half a foot taller than him. And despite some stuff off the court and a huge, well-known gambling problem, he's probably one of the most likable sports figures in the history of professional sports. He's just a unique guy, and I don't think we'll ever see a player or a person like him in the NBA ever again.

AnthonyTyrael2
02-21-2014, 05:10 AM
And he went back to the basket from three point line right inside the paint, most of the time. Mainly during his last 5+ years. It was so ugly to watch but granted, efficent. He made his baskets and he made the distance within 24 seconds, another miracle.

Always liked undersized and underdog players. His blabber and stories he got to tell are legendary too. Fun guy.

slashsnake
02-22-2014, 07:41 AM
Loved watching Chuck play. I was a big fan of his, copied his free throw routine and that little fall away jumper of his when I was in highschool. I remember watching a late career game of his vs. the Lakers I think in the playoffs and he couldn't even jump his back and legs were so beat up. And he still had like 25 rebounds in that game. Was just insane.

PurpleLynch
02-22-2014, 08:29 AM
Another like him? Nah,he was a unique player. Like most of the undersized players;see Iverson,Robinson,Paul and the list goes on...

KnicksorBust
02-22-2014, 11:29 AM
Another like him? Nah,he was a unique player. Like most of the undersized players;see Iverson,Robinson,Paul and the list goes on...

He was unique... like these other guys.