PDA

View Full Version : Pacers new-look lineup

GoBullsGo
02-20-2014, 07:50 PM
First question that pops into my mind is what lineup do the Pacers throw out? I'll start with Evan Turner. This guy is not a spark plug off the bench. He is not a great shooter who will get hot and provide a spark to your team. He's an 18/6/4, who is a real solid defender and quite the athlete. People don't realize that this guy is still only 25 and he can play both SG/SF.

Based on this, he has to start. Here is the lineup I'd like to see the Pacers start.

C - Hibbert / Mahinmi / Bynum
F - West / Scola
F - George / Copeland / Butler / Johnson
G - Turner / S. Hill
G - Stephenson /G. Hill / Watson / Sloan

The main rotation would consist of all the bigs (Hibbert, West, Scola, and Mahinmi or Bynum).

The backcourt rotation would revolve around George-Turner-Stephenson-Hill-Watson. That leaves Hill and Watson plenty of time off the bench. Watson can play in the shooting guard role filling it up from downtown, while G.Hill is a true ball-handler. In that five man rotation for the backcourt, two of those bench guys can easily average 20 or more minutes.

What are your thoughts? Where/How do you see Turner fitting in?

PacersForLife
02-20-2014, 07:52 PM
Turner will come off the bench for sure. The starting lineup will remain the same and Bynum will be the first big off the bench ahead of Mahinmi when he's ready to play.

NoahH
02-20-2014, 07:57 PM
I don't think you can run without a starting PG. As ineffective as George Hill has been, you don't want Lance Stephenson playing PG. POTENTIALLY George could play PG, but I would personally guess that Vogel will insert Turner into Granger's old role and definitely play your lineup in the end of games. Im sure Turner will come off the bench though.

PacersForLife
02-20-2014, 07:59 PM
Yeah, the only thing that will really change as far as Stephenson and Turner are concerned is that Stephenson will probably stay in longer with the starters instead of playing a lot with the second unit.

Lakers + Giants
02-20-2014, 08:01 PM
Love this pacers team. If it weren't for lakers sucking then I wouldn't really care about them, but since lakers have been eliminated then I hope Pacers or Thunder win it all. Anybody but houston.

2-ONE-5
02-20-2014, 08:03 PM
im not sure you have seen much of ET bcuz hes not quite the defender or a real good athlete. there is no way he starts either but he will provide some help to the bench and it was a good move

GoBullsGo
02-20-2014, 08:06 PM
im not sure you have seen much of ET bcuz hes not quite the defender or a real good athlete. there is no way he starts either but he will provide some help to the bench and it was a good move

I played against him in high school. Does that count?

Evan Turner is an athlete, man. Check out his highlights on YouTube.

2-ONE-5
02-20-2014, 08:10 PM
i have watched him the last 4 years he is not a really good athlete, average one sure thats about it.

GoBullsGo
02-20-2014, 08:11 PM
I don't think you can run without a starting PG. As ineffective as George Hill has been, you don't want Lance Stephenson playing PG. POTENTIALLY George could play PG, but I would personally guess that Vogel will insert Turner into Granger's old role and definitely play your lineup in the end of games. Im sure Turner will come off the bench though.

So much of the Pacers offense doesn't even run through G.Hill. I personally am a fan of George Hill but he's not a traditional point guard. I haven't seen the Pacers play that much this season, but I look at the type of assists that Stephenson is putting up and I'm confident he can certainly be plugged into that role. We used to have Ron Harper next to Jordan, and Harper would never even handle the ball. It was always Pippen bringing the ball up, and George could do the same?

Granger hasn't really had a role with the Pacers this season. He was just kind of plugged into the bench and based on the fact that he's Danny Granger he started taking up minutes.

PacersForLife
02-20-2014, 08:13 PM
So much of the Pacers offense doesn't even run through G.Hill. I personally am a fan of George Hill but he's not a traditional point guard. I haven't seen the Pacers play that much this season, but I look at the type of assists that Stephenson is putting up and I'm confident he can certainly be plugged into that role. We used to have Ron Harper next to Jordan, and Harper would never even handle the ball. It was always Pippen bringing the ball up, and George could do the same?

Granger hasn't really had a role with the Pacers this season. He was just kind of plugged into the bench and based on the fact that he's Danny Granger he started taking up minutes.

The way we play is we let PG and Stephenson do most of the ball handling and George Hill is a spot up shooter/scorer. The offense is designed to fit the lineup as it is. Now I'm assuming we can do something similar with the bench unit. We can let Turner do a lot of the ball handling and what-not.

NJBASEBALL22
02-20-2014, 08:16 PM
First question that pops into my mind is what lineup do the Pacers throw out? I'll start with Evan Turner. This guy is not a spark plug off the bench. He is not a great shooter who will get hot and provide a spark to your team. He's an 18/6/4, who is a real solid defender and quite the athlete. People don't realize that this guy is still only 25 and he can play both SG/SF.

Based on this, he has to start. Here is the lineup I'd like to see the Pacers start.

F - West / Scola
G - Turner / S. Hill

The main rotation would consist of all the bigs (Hibbert, West, Scola, and Mahinmi or Bynum).

The backcourt rotation would revolve around George-Turner-Stephenson-Hill-Watson. That leaves Hill and Watson plenty of time off the bench. Watson can play in the shooting guard role filling it up from downtown, while G.Hill is a true ball-handler. In that five man rotation for the backcourt, two of those bench guys can easily average 20 or more minutes.

I know that it probably won't work out this way but I do agree with the line-up/rotation that you posted. They lack a true point guard but they don't need on with how well Turner, George, and Stephenson handle and pass the ball. George is a knockdown shooter and all three can penetrate and create for others, that opens up the floor for everyone else. This line-up gives them length and athleticism on D and it reminds me of those 90's Bulls teams with Pippen, Jordan, and Harper on the perimeter.

ManRam
02-20-2014, 08:31 PM
They're a better team than Miami, and almost even were last year.

But that doesn't always matter, especially when LeBron is involved. I'm curious to see what the odds for Indy winning the East are now.

But I'd probably take them unless they're now big favorites (doubt it with all the Heat love). I was leaning that way even before the deadline today.

Jamiecballer
02-20-2014, 08:39 PM

F - West / Scola
G - Turner / S. Hill

no reason to change the lineup. it's short sighted i think to try and put all your best scorers on the floor together.

TheNumber37
02-20-2014, 08:42 PM
Off the Bench, absolutely.

They need the scoring off the bench and Granger was giving them that.

He can be a 14, 4, 4 player of their bench with some 20 and 30 point games here and there.

He's definitely an upgrade, he will help them for sure. Don't sleep on Lavoy Allen either, who played well in Phili at times

DallasTrilla23
02-20-2014, 08:47 PM
I wouldn't be suprised if Indiana played Turner at Point. He seems at his best when he's handling the ball most of the time

Teeboy1487
02-20-2014, 08:51 PM
They certainly have the talent, but will it translate to a championship? That's the burning question. On paper, they are scary.