PDA

View Full Version : The Sixers now have 9 draft picks

Meangene23
02-20-2014, 02:44 PM
2 first round & 7 2nd round draft pick. The 76ers clearly have a plan on how to improve for a non-destination NBA team. They picked Michael Carter-Williams, traded for Nerlens Noel, and stockpiled draft picks. this draft is incredibly deep, and while everyone is looking to get one of the top 5 guys, there is going to be a lot of value in the later picks. They understand that the absolute worst thing an NBA team can inspire to be is above average. They will never attract a free agent good enough to push them into contention, so they have to be able draft high enough to get a player good enough to push them to the next level.

Aust
02-20-2014, 02:48 PM
Good move by them! I wish my team had that many picks. ****ing insane dude! I wonder if this is the sort of thing that ends up getting it's own documentary.

Hawkeye15
02-20-2014, 02:48 PM
7 2nd rounders? Wtf are they doing with those? They will trade or sell at least 3 of them.

Hawkeye15
02-20-2014, 02:49 PM
btw, I love what Sam is doing. If Noel turns out to even be a Theo Ratliff type, with their hit on MCW, if they can just make one more draft hit, they are the most talented young team in the NBA for the long term.

WITZ
02-20-2014, 02:50 PM
7 second round picks holy **** :laugh2:

P&GRealist
02-20-2014, 02:50 PM
Lakers get on those 2nd round picks if you can't get any first round picks.

Sell off Kaman, Hill and Pau dammit!

2-ONE-5
02-20-2014, 02:51 PM
we have 7 for 2014 with 2 firsts and 5 seconds. the picks from our latest deal with Wash and denver is a 2015 and a 2016. still awesome though.

Ebbs
02-20-2014, 02:52 PM
They're getting ready for the next step in the NBA expansion.... D-league farm teams. I'm not kidding basketball is catching up to hockey soon every team will be farming prospects through d-league teams

2-ONE-5
02-20-2014, 02:53 PM
and what do you mean non destination team? we are the 4th largest market in the US

Hawkeye15
02-20-2014, 02:54 PM
we have 7 for 2014 with 2 firsts and 5 seconds. the picks from our latest deal with Wash and denver is a 2015 and a 2016. still awesome though.

gotcha. I still think you sell or trade a couple this year. There are only so many roster spots open, and if you can get assets/cash for them, instead of most likely a player that won't make the roster, do it. You can always invest in a Euro player, but that is so hit or miss.

Aust
02-20-2014, 02:54 PM
As a Laker fan I'm so jelly. I want picks!

Muttman73
02-20-2014, 02:55 PM
interesting

Hawkeye15
02-20-2014, 02:55 PM
and what do you mean non destination team? we are the 4th largest market in the US

As far as the NBA goes, there is LA, NY (4 teams now), Chicago, and probably another couple of teams more appealing. But winning makes a team appealing, and if Philly continues on the path, they will have enough money to bring in a really good player(s) before these rookie contracts are up and they need to pay MCW and co.

LongIslandIcedZ
02-20-2014, 02:56 PM
Good for Philly for staying true to a real rebuild.

What kind of value does 5 second rounders hold though? Maybe one starter or serviceable role player. Could it get them back into the first round somewhere?

Blink
02-20-2014, 03:04 PM
Trade you Josh Smith for those 7 2nd rounders. No?

Detroit sucks :/. Drummonds leaving

Goose17
02-20-2014, 03:06 PM
They could still move one of their expiring guys in Turner or Thad plus some of those 2nds to bring in a first round pick right? Not a lotto pick but maybe a pick just outside the lotto?

sunsfan88
02-20-2014, 03:12 PM
Is that the record for most 2nd rd picks in a draft?

Goose17
02-20-2014, 03:15 PM
http://espn.go.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=mv3wd34

76ers send; Thad, Hollis Thompson, three 2nd round picks.
'' receive; Kirk Hinrich, Nemanja Nedovic and 2014 first round draft pick from Charlotte

Bulls send; Taj Gibson, Jimmy Butler, Hinrich and 2014 first round draft pick from Charlotte
'' receive; Klay Thompson, Thad Young, Hollis Thompson and three 2nd round picks.

Dubs send; Klay Thompson and Nemanja Nedovic
'' receive; Jimmy Butler and Taj Gibson

Sixers have three first round picks and four second round picks.

I'M A GENIUS!!

king4day
02-20-2014, 03:28 PM
Nice coup. These will likely be used more as pot sweeteners for future trades. Maybe a couple of Euro-stashes too.

FOBolous
02-20-2014, 03:32 PM
7 2nd rounders? Wtf are they doing with those? They will trade or sell at least 3 of them.

Hinkie was Morey's protege. If he's anywhere close to being as good as Morey, I'm sure he'll be able find a few rough gems with those picks.

mudvayne387
02-20-2014, 03:35 PM

He means no one wants to play in Philly because the city blows. Hell, even Will Smith's auntie and uncle made him move to Bel-Air after being born and raised In West Philadelphia...

bholly
02-20-2014, 03:36 PM
I don't know if anyone remembers, but last draft night we made at least 3 or 4 trades involving second rounders - we started with 2 and traded down multiple times. This year could be a huge mess. Can't wait.

FOBolous
02-20-2014, 03:36 PM
and i also see him trying to rebuild the sixers the same way Morey rebuild the Rockets, which is stockpile assets, picks, and cap space, while acquiring good young players, until he can swing a deal for a star or 2.

bholly
02-20-2014, 03:41 PM
^Yup, def something he have in mind. I don't think it'll be plan A like it was in Houston, because we're getting higher draft picks than they ever were, but I'm certain he'll be keeping the possibility in mind when he makes each move.

Hawkeye15
02-20-2014, 03:59 PM
Hinkie was Morey's protege. If he's anywhere close to being as good as Morey, I'm sure he'll be able find a few rough gems with those picks.

oh I am fully aware of that. Which is why when the Asik to Philly rumor came around, I imagined the phone call being an interesting one.

Hawkeye15
02-20-2014, 04:01 PM
^Yup, def something he have in mind. I don't think it'll be plan A like it was in Houston, because we're getting higher draft picks than they ever were, but I'm certain he'll be keeping the possibility in mind when he makes each move.

Yeah, Morey was in an unfortunate position though, with an owner in Les Alexander who had no interest in tanking. Morey was tasked to rebuild a team with the 14th picks in each draft. Which is why his rebuild is so impressive. Hinkie has the luxury of having an owner who is willing to suck a couple of years, which should speed up the rebuild if they make the right picks/moves. So far, so good.

Goose17
02-20-2014, 04:23 PM
Imagine if they had all been in the same draft LOL.

ravistarr
02-20-2014, 04:57 PM
He means no one wants to play in Philly because the city blows. Hell, even Will Smith's auntie and uncle made him move to Bel-Air after being born and raised In West Philadelphia...

Just for the sake of accuracy, I believe his mother was the one who "got scared" and told Will that he was moving with his uncle and auntie in Belair.

I got love for you though, Philly!

Tony_Starks
02-20-2014, 05:15 PM
Nice to have but Philly traditionally isn't all that great at drafting. MCW can ball, juries out on Noel, but other than that they've had some real questionable drafts.

Now if someone like Spurs or OKC had that many picks they'd probably build a dynasty for the next 10 years!

Hawkeye15
02-20-2014, 05:28 PM
Nice to have but Philly traditionally isn't all that great at drafting. MCW can ball, juries out on Noel, but other than that they've had some real questionable drafts.

Now if someone like Spurs or OKC had that many picks they'd probably build a dynasty for the next 10 years!

remember, that was not under Hinkie though....

So far, he has Noel and MCW to show for his drafts, and if you want to throw in Glen Rice Jr, who is sitting in the D-League.

Goose17
02-20-2014, 05:33 PM
remember, that was not under Hinkie though....

So far, he has Noel and MCW to show for his drafts, and if you want to throw in Glen Rice Jr, who is sitting in the D-League.

This^

It never ceases to amaze me how people can judge the ability of a front office based on their predecessors.

SeoulBeatz
02-20-2014, 05:55 PM

True, but that was before we had the genius that is Sam Hinkie.

He began his tenure by trading off Jrue Holiday for Nerlens Noel and a pick that is looking pretty good this year, thus positioning us to have two picks the top 10. Then he hit a home run drafting MCW at 11.

To recap today....

The Sixers gave:

Evan Turner
Spencer Hawes
Lavoy Allen
Conditional 2nd Round Pick

The Sixers received:

2nd round pick (Magic)
2nd round pick (Wizards)
2nd round pick (Nuggets)
2nd round pick (Clippers)
2nd round pick (Pacers)
Danny Granger
Earl Clark
Eric Maynor
Henry Sims
BJ Mullens

Not a bad haul for two players who were going to leave for nothing.
He's running this franchise like it's a 2k association.

WITZ
02-20-2014, 06:10 PM

He began his tenure by trading off Jrue Holiday for Nerlens Noel and a pick that is looking pretty good this year, thus positioning us to have two picks the top 10. Then he hit a home run drafting MCW at 11.

To recap today....

The Sixers gave:

Evan Turner
Spencer Hawes
Lavoy Allen

The Sixers received:

2nd round pick (Magic)
2nd round pick (Wizards)
2nd round pick (Nuggets)
2nd round pick (Pacers)
Danny Granger
Earl Clark
Eric Maynor
Henry Sims
BJ Mullens

Cavs kept that pick, they received the cavs 2nd and Memphis 2nd. Good haul for Philly though.

KnicksFan4Years
02-20-2014, 07:00 PM
Yo, if LBJ and Bosh opted out, Philly might be able to sign both of them!

MCW/LBJ/Bosh/Young/Noel plus draft picks etc.

That would be some seriously crazy ish. Too bad it won't happen.

More-Than-Most
02-20-2014, 07:13 PM
Love what our organization is doing... That Holiday trade made me soooo happy... 2 lottery picks is amazing and pop some of those 2nds and move up in the first.

Noel/MCW

And 2 lottery picks... If those are 2 top 5 wow

moshy2
02-20-2014, 07:22 PM
They'll definitely be moving up on draft day. The potential that is already on the team and what could be on the team is crazy

TheNumber37
02-20-2014, 07:28 PM
They will and definitely should use some of those picks to shed salary and acquire a bigger name.

Maybe take Josh Smith on the cheap for Thad Young, J rich and picks...

Tony_Starks
02-20-2014, 07:33 PM

To recap today....

The Sixers gave:

Evan Turner
Spencer Hawes
Lavoy Allen

The Sixers received:

2nd round pick (Magic)
2nd round pick (Wizards)
2nd round pick (Nuggets)
2nd round pick (Pacers)
Danny Granger
Earl Clark
Eric Maynor
Henry Sims
BJ Mullens

Forgot Hinkle was the Boss now. How he drafts or flips those pics will be interesting. They'll basically be like a university looking at the best prospects....

Cal827
02-20-2014, 07:35 PM
They will and definitely should use some of those picks to shed salary and acquire a bigger name.

:laugh:

2-ONE-5
02-20-2014, 08:08 PM
Love what our organization is doing... That Holiday trade made me soooo happy... 2 lottery picks is amazing and pop some of those 2nds and move up in the first.

Noel/MCW

And 2 lottery picks... If those are 2 top 5 wow

they both cant be top 5 the Pels pick is protected up to 5

2-ONE-5
02-20-2014, 08:08 PM

hahahahahahahahahaahahahahahahahahahahahaha

More-Than-Most
02-20-2014, 08:20 PM
they both cant be top 5 the Pels pick is protected up to 5

its top 3 protected... Not top 5... 4 or 5 and its ours.
http://www.cbssports.com/nba/eye-on-basketball/22551132/nba-draft-76ers-trade-jrue-holiday-for-nerlens-noel

2-ONE-5
02-20-2014, 08:23 PM
i knew that my mistkae. but hornets are in 11th spot now its very very unlikely they land that high. were hoping 8-12

mdm692
02-20-2014, 08:26 PM
Lol @ 7 2nd rounders. 2 or 3 of them have got to turn into something right?

Bruno
02-20-2014, 08:45 PM

i just read this this morning. sweet article by zach lowe on how valuable second round picks can be using the right loopholes in the CBA to maximize them as assets with zero risk, nickel on the dollar. Philly should move some of these but if they use them right they might be really interesting in a few years.

http://grantland.com/the-triangle/second-round-first-priority-ricky-ledo-and-exploiting-the-cbas-inefficiencies/

JasonJohnHorn
02-20-2014, 08:47 PM
Second round picks are generally useless unless you let the Spurs pick them for you ;-)

todu82
02-21-2014, 01:03 AM
I think Philly will use those 2nd round picks to either get veteran help or trade into the 1st round.

sunsfan88
02-21-2014, 01:10 AM
No team will trade a 1st rounder in this draft for any 2nd rd picks.

Philly could have all 30 2nd rd picks and yet nobody would still trade their 1st for it in this draft.

bholly
02-21-2014, 01:13 AM
its top 3 protected... Not top 5... 4 or 5 and its ours.
http://www.cbssports.com/nba/eye-on-basketball/22551132/nba-draft-76ers-trade-jrue-holiday-for-nerlens-noel

That article was from draft night before it had been officially announced. By later that night it was confirmed that it's top 5 protected. Look at any resource that has info from more recently than that article.

For example:
http://www.prosportstransactions.com/basketball/DraftTrades/Years/2014.htm
http://www.philly.com/philly/blogs/pattisonave/The-looming-lottery-makes-SixersPelicans-especially-intriguing-.html
http://probasketballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/06/27/trade-new-orleans-sends-nerlens-noel-and-a-2014-pick-to-sixers-for-jrue-holiday/

bholly
02-21-2014, 01:15 AM
No team will trade a 1st rounder in this draft for any 2nd rd picks.

Philly could have all 30 2nd rd picks and yet nobody would still trade their 1st for it in this draft.

Well that really depends. By the time draft night rolls around, the #31 is more valuable than the #30, for example. It's absolutely plausible that a team with a first round pick could want to trade down for multiple seconds.
Don't get me wrong, I'm not banking on that, but what you said isn't necessarily true at all.

NYMetros
02-21-2014, 01:21 AM
They could pawn off some of those 2nd rounders into next year's draft so that they'll have a few more next year too. Pretty good assets to have going forward

Their GM is not messing around

sunsfan88
02-21-2014, 05:04 AM
Well that really depends. By the time draft night rolls around, the #31 is more valuable than the #30, for example. It's absolutely plausible that a team with a first round pick could want to trade down for multiple seconds.
Don't get me wrong, I'm not banking on that, but what you said isn't necessarily true at all.

Yea but more than likely I can't see a team trading a 1st for 2nd rd picks in this draft.

And I may be wrong but can't you offer 1st round picks more years on their contract than 2nd rd picks?

kobebabe
02-21-2014, 05:21 AM
Oh wow! Share the wealth with Lakers. They need it but didn't act like it at the trade deadline.
Basically sixers will be a college basketball team next season :D